PDA

View Full Version : Doggies doing a clean out?

Dry Rot
01-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Note bit in red - bad boys being moved on?

What is a fair trade for each contracted player?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-01/trade-period-preview-whos-your-club-chasing

Whispers: The Bulldogs will be aggressive this October after their premiership defence ended so limply. Tall Port utility Jackson Trengove will cross to the Kennel on a four-year deal that is expected to be lodged early in the free agency period. The Dogs are also circling out-of-contract Fremantle forward Hayden Crozier and contracted Port speedster Jarman Impey, and are also understood to be in the market for another ruckman. The Dogs will be kept busy finalising a trade for Stringer, with Geelong and Essendon their most likely trade partners and an early draft pick their asking price. The Cats hold pick No.20 but the Bulldogs will, at least initially, want an earlier pick, while the Dons will be reluctant to part with their No.12 pick, so negotiations could drag on. Rival clubs also believe prospective 2018 free agent Luke Dahlhaus is gettable at the right price, as are fellow contracted Bulldogs Shane Biggs, Clay Smith and Tom Campbell. The futures of out-of-contract pair Stewart Crameri and Mitch Honeychurch might not be resolved until the end of trade period.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2017, 07:11 PM
At the right price for all, go right ahead.

If this turns into a mini-moderate rebuild for this and next year's draft, I actually don't mind at all.

Dry Rot
01-10-2017, 07:14 PM
At the right price for all, go right ahead.

If this turns into a mini-moderate rebuild for this and next year's draft, I actually don't mind at all.

So what is each worth?

chef
01-10-2017, 07:14 PM

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-01/trade-period-preview-whos-your-club-chasing

Cleaning out the bad boys didnt really work for Collingwood. Hope it doesnt do the same for us.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2017, 07:20 PM
So what is each worth?

Dahl is a first rounder, probably inside 10. St Kilda with 7 & 8 and desperate for mids might be tempted with 7 & 8 for 9 & Dahl.
Biggs is a wildcard. Finals Biggs is a second rounder somewhere.
Honey, Smith & Campbell potential steak knives in bigger trades, that get the deal done if not otherwise.
Crameri about pick 40

Get the Essendon deal done on Stringer at 11, even if we pay some salary to get pick 11.

Hit the draft with 7, 8, 11, 26, 39, 40 (less any used for trade.
Hit the draft next year lowly, get a first rounder and hopefully West & Khamis are guns and this mini-moderate rebuild will do wonders if Dal nails it, again.

GVGjr
01-10-2017, 07:21 PM

I think they're on the money about having to move a few of the boys on. It would be a shame to lose Dahlhaus but if the right offer came you would have to have a talk about it. Biggs, Smith and Campbell might want to look elsewhere

GVGjr
01-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Cleaning out the bad boys didnt really work for Collingwood. Hope it doesnt do the same for us.

I'm not sure I agree with the bad boys comment in the opening post but there are a lot more factors to it than you're suggesting.
Clubs should always address bad behavior.

The Underdog
01-10-2017, 07:44 PM
I thought Biggs 2nd half of the year was pretty good and showed his value to us. I’m also not sure given that we’re losing Murphy and to a lesser extent Boyd that we want to lose too many more running defenders.
I’m unapologetically pro-Dahl but understand others aren’t so enamoured. I’d want a pretty high return.
Not that fussed re: Smith and Campbell but the return is likely to be negligible.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-10-2017, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't object to trading Dahl out for the right price.

Probably rather we keep Biggs though given we just lost Boyd and Bob.

Remi Moses
01-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Dahl at the right price , but can't see him getting moved on .
Biggs was pretty good after a slow start. Gee this "Bad boy" line is getting tedious .

ledge
01-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Is this the same bloke that wrote stringer was going to Geelong for 750,000 a year for 4 years and his manager was Phil Collins ?
Seriously any player is gettable at a price , rubbish article.

1eyedog
01-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Dahl is not irreplaceable. Realistically somewhere between 11-15 would be on the money.

hujsh
01-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Dahl and Biggs are definitely 'at the right price' types but it seems unlikely our right price will line up with another teams right price.

Happy Days
01-10-2017, 09:52 PM
I'd take one of the Saints picks as mentioned elsewhere for Dahlhaus, but trading good, contracted, non-teenage boning players that don't want out and have professed their love for the club on many occasions lies somewhere between "playing with fire" and "asking for it".

From a football perspective I don't get why we'd trade Biggs; not like we'd get a great deal for him, and he's easily our best small defender. But from a non-football perspective (which, given the guys named, is what I think the article is getting at) then I could see it. Still think it's a dumb idea.

Smith and Campbell I'm very open to trading, but I don't think that another club would be.

The Pie Man
01-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Seen the Dahl rumours previously, but that's the first I've seen Biggs mentioned.

If making a call purely on form & structure, Biggs is a no brainer to keep. Is it a stab in the article based on association or is there more to this we don't know?

ratsmac
02-10-2017, 01:10 AM
We couldn't possibly trade Stringer and Dahl in the same year. We would have kids crying on the news.

merantau
02-10-2017, 01:49 AM
I would not trade Dahlhaus or Biggs. I would play Dahlhaus as a permanent small forward.
Biggs had a very good second half of the year. He is needed now we don't have Bob and Matty Boyd.

G-Mo77
02-10-2017, 01:58 AM
We couldn't possibly trade Stringer and Dahl in the same year. We would have kids crying on the news.

I'd probably lose a supporter in this house as well. My son loves Luke Dahlhaus. He's already starting to talk about Tigers.

Seriously it won't happen.

Twodogs
02-10-2017, 02:34 AM
I'd probably lose a supporter in this house as well. My son loves Luke Dahlhaus. He's already starting to talk about Tigers.

Seriously it won't happen.

Mate. It's your job to make sure that doesn't happen. Seriously you have a premiership to work with mate.

chef
02-10-2017, 09:22 AM
12 months ago we wouldn't dream of trading Luke, I'd rather give him another 12 months. I'm sure this year stung him so he'll want to have a big year next year. You don't trade out guys like this.

GVGjr
02-10-2017, 09:30 AM
12 months ago we wouldn't dream of trading Luke, I'd rather give him another 12 months. I'm sure this year stung him so he'll want to have a big year next year. You don't trade out guys like this.

12 months ago we were going to back up from a flag and have a deep dive for a back to back chance. Yes things change and we are now at the stage where we need to listen to all offers. Most will be quickly dismissed but we will have to listen to the better ones.
I don't think Dahlhaus will go but you never know.

G-Mo77
02-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Mate. It's your job to make sure that doesn't happen. Seriously you have a premiership to work with mate.

I'll show him highlights of us winning again.and don't show him anything else. If he sees Luke Dahlhaus somewhere else he may go for them.

chef
02-10-2017, 11:12 AM
12 months ago we were going to back up from a flag and have a deep dive for a back to back chance. Yes things change and we are now at the stage where we need to listen to all offers. Most will be quickly dismissed but we will have to listen to the better ones.
I don't think Dahlhaus will go but you never know.

Me personally I'd rather give these guys a chance to atone for this season rather than turf them out for best offers.

Im hoping we'll do a Chelsea and bounce right back to the top after a failed title defence. Our players will be pretty embarrassed and will want to get right back up there.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Me personally I'd rather give these guys a chance to atone for this season rather than turf them out for best offers.

Im hoping we'll do a Chelsea and bounce right back to the top after a failed title defence. Our players will be pretty embarrassed and will want to get right back up there.

Agree on principle, though it probably depends on the players' character an desire.

If that same grit and unwavering determination of 2016 isn't present anymore, we need to move them on.

GVGjr
02-10-2017, 11:22 AM

From memory earlier this year you were confident that there would be no drop off and the boys would rally and 'do it for Bob' once the real season started but lets face it, that never happened and they wasted the momentum gained during the 2016 season.

Can we just kick it back into gear after such a poor season? I have my doubts we can regain that edge we had in 2016 and I don't want the club to place a lot of faith in some of the boys unless they are confident they are switched on.
We need to listen to all good offers

chef
02-10-2017, 11:58 AM
From memory earlier this year you were confident that there would be no drop off and the boys would rally and 'do it for Bob' once the real season started but lets face it, that never happened and they wasted the momentum gained during the 2016 season.

Can we just kick it back into gear after such a poor season? I have my doubts we can regain that edge we had in 2016 and I don't want the club to place a lot of faith in some of the boys unless they are confident they are switched on.
We need to listen to all good offers

I guess we can all be wrong about things, I thought the players may be hungry for Bob but it seems that was more a selfish need of mine. I underestimated just how much success would affect the 3rd youngest list in the AFL. We didn't handle it well but I have enough faith in Bevo that we've learnt a very valuable lesson this season.

Other teams have kicked back into gear after 1 down season so I don't see why we can't with this current group that has shown it can be the best when we are fully focused. The question is can we get back that focus, I think we can.

ledge
02-10-2017, 12:03 PM
I guess we can all be wrong about things, I thought the players may be hungry for Bob but it seems that was more a selfish need of mine. I underestimated just how much success would affect the 3rd youngest list in the AFL. We didn't handle it well but I have enough faith in Bevo that we've learnt a very valuable lesson this season.

Other teams have kicked back into gear after 1 down season so I don't see why we can't with this current group that has shown it can be the best when we are fully focused. The question is can we get back that focus, I think we can.

It seems Stringer might have had something to do with it, be interesting if he stays as it seemed a little player driven for him to go.

GVGjr
02-10-2017, 12:07 PM

It was a fair thought process but it does highlight the complexities of managing a young list.
We need to set a high standard and take action on any player that isn't measuring up. I like your optimism but I'm a bit more wary of getting caught out a 2nd time.

chef
02-10-2017, 12:13 PM
It seems Stringer might have had something to do with it, be interesting if he stays as it seemed a little player driven for him to go.

Yeah, we just don't know how much this has affected the group this year. Listening to Libba speak after the season he suggested that there was a lack of trust in the group that we needed to get back.

chef
02-10-2017, 12:14 PM
It was a fair thought process but it does highlight the complexities of managing a young list.
We need to set a high standard and take action on any player that isn't measuring up. I like your optimism but I'm a bit more wary of getting caught out a 2nd time.

I agree it's a bit of a gamble.

Axe Man
02-10-2017, 04:27 PM
For what it's worth...

Midfielder happy to be in the Doghouse (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-02/midfielder-hopes-to-stay-in-the-doghouse)

THERE has been no indication Western Bulldogs premiership player Luke Dahlhaus could leave the club, his manager Peter Lenton says.

Some speculation has circulated suggesting the midfielder could leave the Dogs.

Jake Stringer has already been asked to search for a new home, with Geelong and Essendon the front-runners.

However, Lenton told NAB AFL Trade Radio on Monday he had not received any indication the 25-year-old would be moving on.

"He is contracted and I have not had one conversation with the Bulldogs that would suggest he's doing anything other than staying where he is, and he actually loves the club," Lenton said.

"I'd be surprised if there was any form of conversation in relation to Luke, but it's a funny time of the year.

"I know in dealing with Sam Mitchell last year, I never would've expected that, so you can never say never, but the tea leaves are telling me that he's at the Bulldogs and I couldn't envisage that he'll be anywhere else for next year."

Rocco Jones
02-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Really hope Dahl can work it out and get back to his best. The combo of his contested ball ability + forward pressure he offers really is suited to the needs of the modern game.

Bulldog4life
18-10-2017, 07:57 PM
According to Stevo on news tonight. Brisbane linked to Lin Jong. Know more tomorrow.

ratsmac
18-10-2017, 09:25 PM
According to Stevo on news tonight. Brisbane linked to Lin Jong. Know more tomorrow.

I hope not. I felt we missed him this year after he done his knee. But then again a 200cm KPF with plenty of upside would be a decent swap

EasternWest
18-10-2017, 10:13 PM
I hope not. I felt we missed him this year after he done his knee. But then again a 200cm KPF with plenty of upside would be a decent swap

Agreed. I'd find it pretty distasteful trading Jong. I'd get over it, because the club comes first. But it doesn't sit right with me.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Not sure I’d like us losing both Stringer and Jong in the same year, particularly given Jong has improved every year, is well respected and has traits we lack.

The on again/off again reports re Schache are odd.

Twodogs
18-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Not sure I’d like us losing both Stringer and Jong in the same year, particularly given Jong has improved every year, is well respected and has traits we lack.

The on again/off again reports re Schache are odd.

When the club says what they are doing about Schache I will listen. Not Brisbane or Jon Ralph or anybody other than Jmac. We don't conduct our negotiations in public as much as the media would like us to.

It's the reason the media hates us so much.

FrediKanoute
18-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Observation about trade week from some one who sits through 2 transfer windows every year in the UK - believe nothing until the deal is done!

In the UK Transfer Deadline Day has been built up into an entertainment event that more often than not goes off like a lead balloon. very rarely are big deals done on deadline day, because they take time to agree. Also, the number of clubs that a player is linked to during a transfer period is unbelievable. Clubs do well to say nothing which creates a vacuum that is filled by rumour and bullsh*t. Mainstream media fuels it and secondary media fills it.

In context of the AFL Trade week what we can take as gospel is:

a) Stringer is up for trade;
b) Stringer will be traded if a suitable deal can be orchestrated (one which involves a first round draft pick); and
c) Stringer is a contracted player who will be required to present for training if he is not traded.

All else is speculation by mainstream media, media pundits, keyboard bandits and social media trolls. There is no way the club can tell us everything that is going on, but they aren't idiots. Bevo is no mug and (speculation alert) he probably perceives there to be a serious problem in the group. The response to winning a GF goes someway to proving the level of immaturity in the Group.

Twodogs
19-10-2017, 12:36 AM
Well said Fredi. Right on the money.