3) Jack Macrae (155)
4) Easton Wood (138)
5) Caleb Daniel (134)
6) Lachie Hunter (125)
7) Matt Suckling (119)
8) Zaine Cordy (119)
9) Shane Biggs (95)
10) Liam Picken (85)

Congrats to Bontempelli for his one point win on the night.

Twodogs
05-10-2017, 07:08 AM
Suckling's done well. A lot better than I thought.

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Easton Woods performance surprised me. He never quite got his season going

Not having Dahlhaus in the top 10 is probably a good indicator of why we struggled this year.
Liberatore and Wallis missed decent parts of the season.

Toby McLean's season should have had him close top the top 10

Twodogs
05-10-2017, 07:14 AM
Easton Woods performance surprised me. He never quite got his season going

Not having Dahlhaus in the top 10 is probably a good indicator of why we struggled this year.
Liberatore and Wallis missed decent parts of the season.

Toby McLean's season should have had him close top the top 10

I'm suprised Macrae was 29 votes behind JJ. I thought Jack had a much better year.

And yeah, Maclean had a better year than a couple of blokes listed there.

Remi Moses
05-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Surprised Toby didn't finish higher, and surprised Macrae didn't win.
Well done to the Bont, he's going to win about 10

chef
05-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Congrats Bont. Im surprised McLean didnt finish top 5 TBH.

Go_Dogs
05-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Helps being a defender clearly.

Biggs missed a lot of footy and had a very inconsistent year but still figures in the top 10. Would be interested to know what criteria the coaches use to vote.

ReLoad
05-10-2017, 08:22 AM
What was the scoop talks wise?
Any words of wisdom from Bevo or PG?

Also any Stringer talk? Shame he didnt go :(

Topdog
05-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Daniel was just no where near the damaging guy we saw last year, JJ was awful for about 10 games and McLean and Dale had quite a few great games. Other than Bont winning a very surprising result

Go_Dogs
05-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Daniel was just no where near the damaging guy we saw last year, JJ was awful for about 10 games and McLean and Dale had quite a few great games. Other than Bont winning a very surprising result

The majority of players before the count were saying Jacko was their favourite to win. Surely they get a feel for who has been doing their job week in week out at the post game reviews, surprising that so many got it wrong.

Happy for Bont, despite it being a slightly down year for him, he's a worthy winner.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Odd voting. The cynic in me says it's a reflection of how disjointed we were as a club, even in the coaching box.

With all due respect it's ludicrous that JJ finished second, Wood fourth - both were poor outside of a handful of games.

McLean should have been top 5 and Dale pushing top 10.

Happy for Bont but it's a very bizarre set of results

always right
05-10-2017, 10:09 AM
The biggest surprises;
- Macrae was half JJ's votes after round 16
- Bubba said JJ was miles in front of everyone after round 8
- McLean never featured on the leaderboard at any stage.
- Suckling is rated higher by coaches than supporters
- Coaches clearly rated a lot of Wood's work even though his intercept game was well down on previous years.
- Dahlhaus's disposal and reduced influence on games is reflected in his votes tally.

I was pleased Bont just pipped JJ. Wouldn't have felt right seeing JJ take home the medal.

ratsmac
05-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Helps being a defender clearly.

Biggs missed a lot of footy and had a very inconsistent year but still figures in the top 10. Would be interested to know what criteria the coaches use to vote.
It definitely looks that way. Although the defender's held it together most of the season. The mids got cut up and made the ground impossible to defend at times and the forwards had their work cut out for them by the way the ball came in. They didn't convert when they had their chance either. So it's probably no surprise that a lot of defender have polled well.

I am shocked Jack Macrae didn't win and just as shocked to see JJ come second. Had JJ won it would of been wrong considering he was lucky to get a touch for the best part of the middle of the year. Well done to JJ for turning his year around though.

Congratulations Bont. Youngest ever dual Sutton medallist. I think we could be watching the GOAT right before our eyes.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2017, 10:11 AM
What the results show to me is
1) we had a bad year - Bont is a deserving winner but did not have an amazing year
2) struggled for players who consistently impact games
3) those who do impact games, scored the highest (Bont, JJ and Wood)
4) those not on the list - Dahl, Libba, Wallis, Roughie, McLean, red, Stringer, Dickson etc highlight how odd the ball we wer
5) guys who we thought were good - McLean and macrae need to continue to improve to hurt opposition teams - it's no time to stand still

Axe Man
05-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Perhaps they need to look at the voting system:

Following each AFL match, coach Luke Beveridge and four assistants each give a vote from zero to five for each player. Players can receive a minimum of zero or maximum of 25 votes for any game.

Given that it should reward consistency it's surprising that Macrae didn't finish closer to Bont and that JJ polled so well given he was anything but consistent.

Personally I would have been surprised if Mclean finished top 5. I think he finished the year well and perhaps that sticks in peoples minds.

G-Mo77
05-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Perhaps they need to look at the voting system:

Given that it should reward consistency it's surprising that Macrae didn't finish closer to Bont and that JJ polled so well given he was anything but consistent.

Personally I would have been surprised if Mclean finished top 5. I think he finished the year well and perhaps that sticks in peoples minds.

It's also done by coaches so there is a lot we don't know about instructions given and if those instructions are then taken up by the player.

Great to see some backline love!

EasternWest
05-10-2017, 11:22 AM

It's outrageous. It's almost like the coaches don't value my opinion at all.

ledge
05-10-2017, 11:45 AM

How dare they not go by the WOOF posters , we know everything.

Twodogs
05-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Eh! They might not value yours...

:cool:

Bulldog4life
05-10-2017, 12:07 PM
It's also done by coaches so there is a lot we don't know about instructions given and if those instructions are then taken up by the player.

Great to see some backline love!

I agree G-Mo. We really have no idea if a player is following the coaches instructions and doing what the coaches want. Following the team plan I am sure would be a criteria that the coaches look for when giving votes too. Congrats to the Bont and our top 10. I have no issues.

lemmon
05-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Not sure there's any measure by which JJ was the second best footballer at the club this year. Bizarre

EasternWest
05-10-2017, 12:28 PM
How dare they not go by the WOOF posters , we know everything.

Well, some of us do... Isn't that right, AlwaysRight?

Eh! They might not value yours...

:cool:

I spoke to them about you the other day. They said the restraining order is still in place.

always right
05-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Well, some of us do... Isn't that right, AlwaysRight?

Well I didn't want to say anything.

EasternWest
05-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Well I didn't want to say anything.

That'd be a first :).

Rocket Science
05-10-2017, 02:06 PM
It's difficult to fault Bont for the win, his best dazzles so brightly, but you couldn't begrudge poor old Jack Macrae if he was feeling a wee bit unappreciated.

I can't think of another player who consistently went to work week in week out and reliably did his bit.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Not sure there's any measure by which JJ was the second best footballer at the club this year. Bizarre

We might think that but opposition coaches clearly saw things the same way from mid year where they decided to have their whole teams target him

He may not have been as consistent but his best was scintillating and he has a big influence with his touches

I liked his work at half forward this year

Mantis
05-10-2017, 03:10 PM
It's difficult to fault Bont for the win, his best dazzles so brightly, but you couldn't begrudge poor old Jack Macrae if he was feeling a wee bit unappreciated.

I can't think of another player who consistently went to work week in week out and reliably did his bit.

Maybe the lack of hurt factor affected his result? Doesn't kick goals and very rarely does he spot up a target who does.

Rocket Science
05-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Maybe the lack of hurt factor affected his result? Doesn't kick goals and very rarely does he spot up a target who does.

Probably, and that's a trait where Bont distinguishes himself as elite while Jacko needs to work on to further develop his game and contributions.

But in a year marked by erratic, unreliable output with plenty taking their turn to go AWOL just felt the way Macrae showed up every week stood out.

Cyberdoggie
05-10-2017, 06:13 PM

I'd have to agree there, I thought Daniel didn't advance at all, no way he should of done so well compared to others.
JJ we all know about, not sure how he polled so well.

Scraggers
05-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know if Stringer was at the award?

Ozza
05-10-2017, 06:41 PM
I didn't see him there. And the goal kicking award (which he and Picko would have shared) - wasn't handed out at the function.

GVGjr
05-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if Stringer was at the award?

He wasn't there.

The Underdog
05-10-2017, 10:38 PM

Didn’t he come 3rd? 17 votes clear of 4th.
It’s not like they kicked him in the balls.

Twodogs
06-10-2017, 07:44 AM
I spoke to them about you the other day. They said the restraining order is still in place.

Still? I'd have thought it expired by now. Some of the others have.

EasternWest
06-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Still? I'd have thought it expired by now. Some of the others have.

Oh thanks for the reminder. You're out too.

Twodogs
07-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Oh thanks for the reminder. You're out too.

Hehe, I am!

Eastdog
08-10-2017, 09:28 PM
Surprised Toby didn't finish higher, and surprised Macrae didn't win.
Well done to the Bont, he's going to win about 10

Yeah I was thinking Jack would win and Toby McLean would finish quite high. Toby a big improver this year. Bont may not have had the strongest year but when he is at his best he is just so damaging against the opposition. It still was a deserved win for the Bont.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Swamp‏ @sirswampthing 33m33 minutes ago
More
Replying to @sirswampthing @AFL
All 18 clubs Top5 in B&Fs ordered by age
28 CARL PORT
27 BRIS WCE GEEL
26 HAW ADEL RICH FREM GCS MELB NTH ESS SYD
25 GWS STK COLL
23 WBD