PDA

View Full Version : Best ever steak knives

Twodogs
11-10-2017, 12:00 AM
Listening to SEN and Trade Radio I must have heard the term 'steak knives' a thousand times the last couple of days. So it got me thinking who the best ever steak knives thrown in to sweeten a deal. For us it has to be Peter Foster who was thrown into a deal for Chris Hansen at the last minute. Hansen was a decent player over 2 or 3 years with us but Foster is the best old fashioned CHB (the type that went man on man with the opposition CHF in marking contest after marking contest) that I saw play for us.

In the AFL Wayne Carey (John Longmire deal) and Terry Daniher (Neville Fields?) were both pretty good steak knifes.

josie
11-10-2017, 01:56 AM
Great post TD. The Carey and Daniher ones are amazing. Look forward to hearing more steak knives �� from fellow woofers.

bornadog
11-10-2017, 01:58 AM
Lochlan Veale :D :D :D

josie
11-10-2017, 02:03 AM
Ha ha BAD!! The not so tender and juicy veale deal....Boy did that one backfire on us. Always wondered how Rawlings dodgy knees passed our medical checks. Our medical staff made up for it all in ‘16 though.

jazzadogs
11-10-2017, 02:05 AM
Great post TD. The Carey and Daniher ones are amazing. Look forward to hearing more steak knives �� from fellow woofers.

I never knew that about Carey...from Wikipedia:

"In 1987, Carey was recruited by North Melbourne after their CEO, Greg Miller, met with the Sydney Swans' football department to discuss the transfer to North Melbourne of John Longmire, a highly regarded junior key-position player. Once that deal was concluded, Miller then inquired about Carey who, like Longmire, was zoned to the Swans due to having lived in New South Wales. He made a token offer of $10,000 as a transfer fee, to which the Swans surprisingly agreed."

1eyedog
11-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Josh P Kennedy was effectively traded to Sydney as steak knives. The Swans were after McGlynn and Hawthorn sweetened the deal by offering up Kennedy as steak knives. I'm pretty sure Kennedy was the equivalent of a late third rounder.

Nearly beat us by himself in last year's granny.

ledge
11-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Was Tony Liberatore a steak knives deal ?
He couldn't get a game at North, was he just delisted and we picked him up ?

Ghost Dog
11-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Josh P Kennedy was effectively traded to Sydney as steak knives. The Swans were after McGlynn and Hawthorn sweetened the deal by offering up Kennedy as steak knives. I'm pretty sure Kennedy was the equivalent of a late third rounder.

Nearly beat us by himself in last year's granny.

Never new that. You are right. As much as I loved to see us win, the footage of him after the game was moving. Gave every follicle of his being in that game. Dangerous all day - great respect for him.

Happy Days
11-10-2017, 03:34 PM
It's not exactly steak knives, but Brisbane got a phenomenal deal on getting Zorko off of GC's pre-list when the Suns were trying to improve their draft position.

Sedat
15-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Biggsy

Twodogs
15-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Biggsy

Biggsy was more of a bargain. I mean more the player chucked in with the star player to get the deal over the line. Like Jade Rawlings.

1eyedog
19-10-2017, 03:45 PM
What about Schache for pick 30 :p

Twodogs
19-10-2017, 04:33 PM
What about Schache for pick 30 :p

I have a good feeling about this kid. He's home. Hopefully now he can clear his mind and just play footy not worrying about the fact he's in Brisbane. And then about halfway through Febuary someone will give him a whack during match practice. If he whacks them back we can organise the street parade.

LostDoggy
26-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Not exactly steak knives, but when we traded Standfield to Adelaide we got 2 draft picks, one 2nd round (for which we took Jim Plunkett) and a low one (in the 50s from memory) from which we took Brett Montgomery, who went on to give great service as a player and coach over many years.

LostDoggy
26-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Another good one; we traded Michael Martin to Brizzie in the late 90s, for Trent Bartlett and a pick in the 30s or 40s, for which we got 265 games and 300+ goals out of Daniel Giansiracusa.

Twodogs
26-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Another good one; we traded Michael Martin to Brizzie in the late 90s, for Trent Bartlett and a pick in the 30s or 40s, for which we got 265 games and 300+ goals out of Daniel Giansiracusa.

I think that we got two draft picks for Leon Cameron from Richmond. Welcome to the club Mitch Hahn and Ryan Hargrave!