PDA

View Full Version : Lukas Webb in 2018

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Where to play him?

He's a VFL gun inside mid. His best at AFL level has been off the back flank. His kicking inside 50 would be an asset too. I don't think throwing him around positions hs been best for his development. I'd like us to pick one position, with a relief position which we may have done with the inside midfielder role which hasn't fully worked.

For me, I'd like him to run, carry and kick off the half back flank, with the occasional stint off the HFF to see if his kicking improves our inside 50's.

S Coast Simon
13-10-2017, 06:56 PM
To me he should be tried on the wing. He's not tough enough just yet as he is a kid, to play backline. Leave him to roam the wings dropping beautiful kicks into the forward line. Hunter and Dal in the forward pockets. They are not good enough field kicks to be delivering to the forwards. But in saying that imagine trying to defend those two ferreting around Boyds feet in the 50.

B Cordy Trengove Morris
HB JJ Wood Biggs
C Webb Daniel Suckilng
HF Stringer Cloke Crameri
F Dal Boyd Hunter
R ZakClarke Bont Libba
I McRae Dale Magic Picken Roughead Adams Dunkley Young Williams

Gee we have some talent on the list

hujsh
13-10-2017, 08:43 PM
To me he should be tried on the wing. He's not tough enough just yet as he is a kid, to play backline.

We don't give Bailey Williams that excuse and he doesn't need it despite being younger IIRC

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 09:03 PM
We don't give Bailey Williams that excuse and he doesn't need it despite being younger IIRC

In a comment on BW he's at least been allowed to learn one position. Webby has been thrown all over the board.

hujsh
13-10-2017, 10:38 PM
In a comment on BW he's at least been allowed to learn one position. Webby has been thrown all over the board.
That's fair.

He certainly looked much better at positioning when he started than when he was thrown back against he Lions

bulldogtragic
13-10-2017, 10:56 PM
That's fair.

He certainly looked much better at positioning when he started than when he was thrown back against he Lions

True. I know we seem to like players to be multi dimensional from the get go, but I'm not convinced that's worked for Webby. I'd love for him to have a key kicking role, rather than trying to make him another contested beast. Guys like him, Dale & Crozier kicking inside 50 should make Tommy, Travis & Redders excited about playing football.

Go_Dogs
14-10-2017, 08:38 AM
I wonder how much of it is mental for Webby? He's proven he's a consistent performer at VFL level but needs a breakout game at AFL level to get his confidence up.

I still like him developing aspects of his game because he doesn't have the speed to play a strictly outside role.

His ability in the air bodes well for a defensive role (haven't seen a huge amount of it since his early days, but he has it) and his kicking is neat and effective.

He needs a big pre-season and plenty of confidence, but he could be our surprise packet this year.

GVGjr
14-10-2017, 09:11 AM
I wonder how much of it is mental for Webby? He's proven he's a consistent performer at VFL level but needs a breakout game at AFL level to get his confidence up.

I still like him developing aspects of his game because he doesn't have the speed to play a strictly outside role.

His ability in the air bodes well for a defensive role (haven't seen a huge amount of it since his early days, but he has it) and his kicking is neat and effective.

He needs a big pre-season and plenty of confidence, but he could be our surprise packet this year.

I think he needs to return to the back line to gain confidence in his game and to feel comfortable playing senior football.
I'm perplexed why his outstanding form in the VFL as a midfielder level hasn't necessarily translated to even average form at the senior level. He reads the play well and he's known for his kicking skills but I'm not sure he has made the transition to an inside midfielder role he's been asked to play. There might be a question if he is quick enough is well.

The next 12 months tells the story for him.

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2017, 02:13 PM
I think he needs to return to the back line to gain confidence in his game and to feel comfortable playing senior football.
I'm perplexed why his outstanding form in the VFL as a midfielder level hasn't necessarily translated to even average form at the senior level. He reads the play well and he's known for his kicking skills but I'm not sure he has made the transition to an inside midfielder role he's been asked to play. There might be a question if he is quick enough is well.

The next 12 months tells the story for him.

Its been a little strange hasnt it, he had a very good year in the VFL - has improved his hands, and hardness around the contest and continued to kick it well. He still needs to get a bit stronger, but looks very much on the improve.

When in the seniors this year he tended to play more midfield/half forward

They didnt use him much back in 2017.

I think they've challenged him to take a midfield spot

bulldogtragic
17-10-2017, 02:20 PM
His manager on Trade Radio today said he expects him to stay as an inside mid.

Rocket Science
17-10-2017, 02:26 PM
His manager on Trade Radio today said he expects him to stay as an inside mid.

A couple of other interesting snippets courtesy of his manager; Webb pondered seeking more opportunity elsewhere but decided to stay, and acknowledged the next step in his development is to seriously build his tank.

jeemak
17-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Midfield eventually, taking opportunities wherever they present themselves.

He's not ready to command a specific position yet, meaning he'll be used in holes when he gets a game. Eventually I see him as a Joel Corey type, but he needs a harder edge than what he currently has.

Jam Donuts
18-10-2017, 10:49 AM
I think the kid can make it as a starting 22, he has got some class, but he as a lot of our other younger kids are still short of a couple of good hard pre-seasons, we need to build the young ones up, I believe that winning the flag actually hurt us 2017 because of the shortened pre-season and perhaps the effect on the mind, so it will be interesting to see what a full pre-season has on our youngsters, we may be well surprised to see the energy return. But on Webby Half back or wing would be perfect for him.
Perhaps we could also look at settling the boys into a selected position instead of playing them all over the park every other week.

kruder
18-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Webb needs to play forward so we can utilise his skills via connection and kicking for goal. How many inside mids do we need?

bulldogtragic
21-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Just throwing a question out there:

Webby can't find a spot at half back and has cant seem to make the jump to AFEL inside midfielder. His kicking for goal seems pretty good, and kicking inside 50 is pretty good too. Can we try to turn him into a Shaun Higgins type forward? Quick enough (without being fast). is a good size at 187cm, good skills, good kick and doesn't need a heap of possessions to kick a goal or two a game, and set up others?

Is it worth seeing if he can nail down a role like this?

mjp
21-05-2018, 10:41 AM
His kicking for goal seems pretty good, and kicking inside 50 is pretty good too.

Yes...but kicking is his least useful skill...because he cannot get the ball.

I know that sounds appalling but the kid just can't get the pill...how skilled he is? That is such a secondary issue at the moment.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2018, 10:45 AM

I know that sounds appalling but the kid just can't get the pill...how skilled he is? That is such a secondary issue at the moment.

That's the dilemma with Lukas. We seem to be running out of roles he can play for that very reason. So I was trying to think of a role that doesn't involve a lot of touches, but can use his skill set to advantage. I think the last role left is medium forward. Or perhaps, there's no role for him right now.

hujsh
21-05-2018, 11:25 AM
He seems to at least have have smarts/nouse in the forward 50. If he's only getting a few touches a game but being damaging with them, helping create space for other forwards and working hard defensively then it might be a good fit.

10-15 possessions with 1-2 goals as a forward looks a lot better that 10-19 possessions as a mid.

ledge
21-05-2018, 11:30 AM
He seems to at least have have smarts/nouse in the forward 50. If he's only getting a few touches a game but being damaging with them, helping create space for other forwards and working hard defensively then it might be a good fit.

10-15 possessions with 1-2 goals as a forward looks a lot better that 10-19 possessions as a mid.
Maybe he could cover for Dickson as his career is nearly over. ( not being smart , just injuries and age becoming a factor)

bulldogtragic
21-05-2018, 11:46 AM

The block two weeks ago to let Tommy Boyd get a clear lead out (and goal) was a very good non-stat. I'd like to see others do that as when Tom spends 90 seconds a quarter up forward, he's double or tripled teamed or blocked himself.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Hasn't Webb primarily been played as a half forward in the AFL over the past few years?

I agree he hasn't shown an ability to win much of the ball in senior level, but I'd also argue we have played him out of position. Half back looked his more natural position as a junior and as a first year player but he's never been played back since.

Ozza
21-05-2018, 11:50 AM
The block two weeks ago to let Tommy Boyd get a clear lead out (and goal) was a very good non-stat. I'd like to see others do that as when Tom spends 90 seconds a quarter up forward, he's double or tripled teamed or blocked himself.

90 seconds up forward? Surely Tom was just following the other ruckman down there if we allowed the anomaly of Boyd being in the forward 50.

bornadog
21-05-2018, 12:18 PM

I can't see him making it as an AFL player - I hope he does, but looks like another compensation pick gone wrong (pick 27 which we got for Higgins)

The Bulldogs Bite
21-05-2018, 01:49 PM
I can't see him making it as an AFL player - I hope he does, but looks like another compensation pick gone wrong (pick 27 which we got for Higgins)

We lost big on this one.

Once again, we played Higgins out of position as a half back when it was clear he was a half forward who could take turns in the midfield.

Perhaps there's a bit of hindsight in this one, but we didn't entice Higgins to stay so there's no wonder his performances improved when he went to a club who wanted him and played him in his preferred position/s.

Smads57
21-05-2018, 01:57 PM
He is a good contested mark on occasions....

bornadog
21-05-2018, 02:00 PM
We lost big on this one.

Once again, we played Higgins out of position as a half back when it was clear he was a half forward who could take turns in the midfield.

Perhaps there's a bit of hindsight in this one, but we didn't entice Higgins to stay so there's no wonder his performances improved when he went to a club who wanted him and played him in his preferred position/s.

Higgins fell out with BMacc and wanted out.

Greystache
21-05-2018, 02:24 PM
We lost big on this one.

He spent most of his early years as a forward who would take occasional stints in the midfield. His lack of defensive accountability and work rate meant we had to move him, especially as we had several senior players who were equally as bad (Johnson, Gia, Cooney etc.) His defensive efforts as a halfback were equally poor mind you, and I for one was happy to see him go (and still am with hindsight)

BornInDroopSt'54
21-05-2018, 02:48 PM
I can imagine Webb playing that half forward role if he develops his opportunism. If he takes a leaf out of Macrae's book and just places himself in good positions to receive a 15 mtr pass. With ball in hand he has the kicking skills to goal and to pass. He has been contesting in packs for Footscray so knows how to borrow under but what about learning the Lolly Bamblett way of blitzing at speed through and past packs and taking the ball with you? Maybe Webb can develop that sort of skill if played as a half forward.

Mofra
21-05-2018, 03:14 PM
I can imagine Webb playing that half forward role if he develops his opportunism. If he takes a leaf out of Macrae's book and just places himself in good positions to receive a 15 mtr pass. With ball in hand he has the kicking skills to goal and to pass. He has been contesting in packs for Footscray so knows how to borrow under but what about learning the Lolly Bamblett way of blitzing at speed through and past packs and taking the ball with you? Maybe Webb can develop that sort of skill if played as a half forward.
I think 'placing himself' in the right spots is his issue. He just doesn't seem to be able to get to the areas to attract the handball receives.

Unfortunately positioning as a mid at AFL level is somewhat innate - you have it and it can be developed, or you don't and you will struggle to make it.

mjp
21-05-2018, 03:17 PM
I know right - but the trouble is no one in footy can actually DO that. Until the weekend, Eddie betts was going at less than a goal per game. So giving him a forward line role actually makes his life harder rather than easier...

craigsahibee
21-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Just throwing a question out there:

Webby can't find a spot at half back and has cant seem to make the jump to AFEL inside midfielder. His kicking for goal seems pretty good, and kicking inside 50 is pretty good too. Can we try to turn him into a Shaun Higgins type forward? Quick enough (without being fast). is a good size at 187cm, good skills, good kick and doesn't need a heap of possessions to kick a goal or two a game, and set up others?

Is it worth seeing if he can nail down a role like this?

Yep. Worth a try. Don't think the JJ move up forward is working. JJ is more benefit to us rebounding out of the back line. Keep Webby up forward and give him have a prolonged period in the side without the fear of being dropped. Give him a chance to feel a part of the team and settle into a role.

hujsh
21-05-2018, 04:58 PM
I know right - but the trouble is no one in footy can actually DO that. Until the weekend, Eddie betts was going at less than a goal per game. So giving him a forward line role actually makes his life harder rather than easier...
Oh I didn't mean to imply he'd kick 1-2 goals every game. More that if he could kick or contribute goals (assists, blocking, pressure etc) on a somewhat regular basis his lack of possessions becomes less of an issue.

WBFC4FFC
13-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Oh I didn't mean to imply he'd kick 1-2 goals every game. More that if he could kick or contribute goals (assists, blocking, pressure etc) on a somewhat regular basis his lack of possessions becomes less of an issue.

Hope he plays well tomorrow night and that he is in the back-half. Agree he can’t find it much but he is beat with the ball when he does have it.

Get the feeling he is the current Gilbert before Eade came on board and put him in the Backline.

GVGjr
13-06-2018, 10:56 PM
Hope he plays well tomorrow night and that he is in the back-half. Agree he can’t find it much but he is beat with the ball when he does have it.

Get the feeling he is the current Gilbert before Eade came on board and put him in the Backline.

He's spent no time this year training with the back line players He's now being groomed more as a half forward who also rotates through the midfield. Needs to get 4 games in a row to find his feet.

WBFC4FFC
14-06-2018, 05:10 PM
He's spent no time this year training with the back line players He's now being groomed more as a half forward who also rotates through the midfield. Needs to get 4 games in a row to find his feet.

Obviously meant "Gilbee" with my previous comment . The Auto-Correct on the IPhone strikes again!

Doc26
01-11-2018, 10:50 PM
Is the Club giving him too much grace given the injury he sustained late in the season because unfortunately he should’ve been prime for delisting imo (other than for him still holding another year of a contract) ?

He’s obviously dealing with a significant neck related injury, which even if he could break into the 22, may seriously impede his ability to show his worth in 2019. With further and significant doubt also on Liam returning to full force in 2019, and also carrying a high risk of injury recurrence with Tory, is it a wise call to be carrying 3 players on our list with such a risk over them.

I’m personally comfortable to retain Liam and Tory for the potential upside, and also for their wonderful service, but feel that we should’ve made the ‘tough’ call on Lukas to address some greater list need.

Where do we see Lukas on our list?

bulldogtragic
01-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Is the Club giving him too much grace given the injury he sustained late in the season because unfortunately he should’ve been prime for delisting imo (other than for him still holding another year of a contract) ?

He’s obviously dealing with a significant neck related injury which even if he could break into the 22 may seriously impede his ability to show his worth in 2019. With further and significant doubt also on Liam returning to full force in 2019, and also carrying a high risk of injury recurrence with Tory is it a wise to be carrying 3 players on our list with such a risk over them.

I’m comfortable to retain Liam and Tory for the potential upside and for their wonderful service but feel that we should’ve made the ‘tough’ call on Lukas to address some greater list need.

Where do we see Lukas Webb on our list?

Needing to do a lot to avoid delisting in straight talking terms.

GVGjr
01-11-2018, 11:00 PM
I think he struggles to go past 2019 and yes his contract and injury has saved him.
I agree that a tough call could have and perhaps should have been made. There was even the option of moving him to the rookie list.

He just hasn't displayed the leg speed and ball winning ability required.
He's done well at the VFL level but just hasn't made the most of his chances at the senior level.

jeemak
02-11-2018, 05:12 AM
I think he could still become a solid depth AFL player, if his neck injury subsides. Not the guy who is a lock for every game, but one who can play a role and maybe get lucky for more games if playing well should selection constraints allow it.

He's not quick, but he's clean and has proven he can win the ball and use it well at the lower level. With a good preseason he could be a player who surprises with an upturn in form by translating some of the ball winning shown at the lower level into senior level form.

He's on the list, get behind him and think about the good things he can do.

Testekill
02-11-2018, 09:22 AM
We retained him so that he can still have access to our rehab staff; he's not going to play again because it's incredibly rare for any person playing a contact sport to return after a fractured/broken neck and doubly so for someone that just isn't that great.

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 09:30 AM
We retained him so that he can still have access to our rehab staff; he's not going to play again because it's incredibly rare for any person playing a contact sport to return after a fractured/broken neck and doubly so for someone that just isn't that great.

Are you sure about that Testekill? Because as an example there is a huge difference between 'not going to' or 'unlikely to'

Webb did OK as a defender in his first season and I wonder if he might done better had they not tried to remodel him as a midfielder
With a bit if luck on the injury front he still might have a season that gets him playing some good football

The Bulldogs Bite
02-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Why hasn't the club actually made a statement on his condition?

Hopefully he can return to full fitness to give himself a chance.

If he can, I would like to see us play him in his preferred senior position - half back.

The bulldog tragician
02-11-2018, 12:03 PM
He is still wearing a neck brace in his IG photos. Whether he has the talent or not to succeed, I don’t know, but I really fear for him if he does play again. It seems unlikely he could confidently and fearlessly put his head over the ball when he has to, and I’d be shuddering every time he does.

bulldogtragic
02-11-2018, 04:22 PM
He is still wearing a neck brace in his IG photos. Whether he has the talent or not to succeed, I don’t know, but I really fear for him if he does play again. It seems unlikely he could confidently and fearlessly put his head over the ball when he has to, and I’d be shuddering every time he does.

That's how I feel with Picken too, except knowing that he will throw himself 100% into contests. I feel almost physically sick just thinking what another bad concussion could do to him, his health and his family. He owes the club and fans nothing. I have such a sickening fear about him receiving another concussion. I wish he had retired for my selfish reasons, I won't be able to sit comfortably when the ball is within 20m of him.

SquirrelGrip
03-11-2018, 09:00 PM
Lukas Webb was on the same train carriage as me on the way to Flemington for Derby Day today. He was with Luke Dahlhaus and still had his neck brace on.

Rocket Science
04-11-2018, 06:06 PM
How motovated did they seem?

This will never get old, I'm convinced.