PDA

View Full Version : Ameet Baines new CEO

ledge
21-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Have we got any details on him , I have no idea on his past just that he is from the Saints.. Good or bad decision ?

comrade
21-10-2017, 04:56 PM
The last time we stole someone from the Saints for an off field role worked out ok...

I'm a big fan of what Bains has done at the Saints. I was hoping we'd sound him out to replace JMac actually.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2017, 05:05 PM
He seems very switched on to me. Hopefully he's got some players in his pocket to follow him next trade period.

GVGjr
21-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Great administrator with a law and finance background and will be an asset corporately and also from a footy department perspective.

To me it's a big jump for him but I think we should be confident he will do well. Bendigo boys always do :)

ledge
21-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Found this
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-19/bains-ticks-all-the-boxes

The Doctor
21-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Although I don't follow much of what Saints do he seems very switched on whenever I've heard him. That cash in move to get a 2017 first round pick from Hawks last year when they were trying to get O'Meara was a beauty.

comrade
21-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Although I don't follow much of what Saints do he seems very switched on whenever I've heard him. That cash in move to get a 2017 first round pick from Hawks last year when they were trying to get O'Meara was a beauty.

I was so envious that the Saints conjured that deal out of thin air. It was a great example of creativity I've been waiting to see from our list management team.

I'm excited by this appointment.

Ghost Dog
21-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Hey that's really good for us. PG and now Ameet appointment, a couple of legal eagles.
The multicultural aspect is pretty cool too. Welcome to the club Ameet.

ledge
21-10-2017, 05:49 PM
At this rate the whitten oval might start its own law firm, why not since PG has been back we have had a VFL team an AFLW team and a VFLW team about to start, why stop at football,?
I'm waiting for the netball team as well.

jazzadogs
21-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Have always been impressed by Bains. He's steadily risen through the ranks at the Saints, and always sounds very insightful and switched on when interviewed.

For a non-business man, what are the key differences between a COO and CEO role?

lemmon
21-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Very highly rated - the AFL were keen to bring him on with them in some capacity.

This looks great on paper.

Go_Dogs
21-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Very highly rated - the AFL were keen to bring him on with them in some capacity.

This looks great on paper.

For the Lethlean role I believe.

Seems a good appointment, happy to read this.

bornadog
21-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Have always been impressed by Bains. He's steadily risen through the ranks at the Saints, and always sounds very insightful and switched on when interviewed.

For a non-business man, what are the key differences between a COO and CEO role?

CEO is responsible for the overall running of the organisation whereas the COO looks after operational matters. So COO for example would not have finance as a responsability

Bulldog Revolution
21-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Exciting appointment - seems there are now a few being promoted up through a footy operations role

Doc26
21-10-2017, 06:29 PM
I'd imagine that Bevo would be very familiar with Ameet, through his father John's deep recruiting connection at the Saints.

Sounds like a great get.

Twodogs
21-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Good appointment. Will bring some new ideas and ways of doing things that comes with an outside appointment.

Bulldog4life
21-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Sounds like an excellent appointment. He has been spoken about in glowing terms for a number of years now.

Prince Imperial
21-10-2017, 06:59 PM

This article describes his rather eclectic responsibilities at St Kilda:

Bains’ has an all-encompassing role at St Kilda that combines list management, player contracts, major projects, strategy, media and legal issues. He is second-in-charge to former AFLPA CEO Matt Finnis, who replaced Michael Nettlefold at the helm in Seaford three years ago.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kildas-chief-operating-officer-ameet-bains-has-withdrawn-from-process-to-be-next-hawthorn-ceo/news-story/4b4b923146bc6f7cc9a8d55953d8e663

ledge
21-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Looks like he was doing the role of too many people at St kilda, at least with us he can focus on just being the CEO

Remi Moses
21-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Nice to get his list management skills also .
In particular how he got that deal to get an extra 1st round pick of Hawthorn

boydogs
22-10-2017, 12:08 AM

The COO runs the business, making best use of the resources allocated to achieve business objectives. The CEO determines overall strategy and direction - appointing and managing the COO, assigning them the resources they have to work with and the objectives they must achieve

A CEO would decide to open a new branch or create a women's team, a COO would make it successful. CEO's would spend more time at high-level meetings e.g. with the AFL, Etihad, sponsors, Ballarat/Cairns looking at opportunities. COO's operate the business as it currently stands

anfo27
22-10-2017, 12:17 AM
What happened at the saints then? Sacked or quit?

boydogs
22-10-2017, 12:21 AM
What happened at the saints then? Sacked or quit?

It's a step up for him so I assume we just headhunted him. Quit I guess

Bulldog4life
22-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Glenn McFarlane‏ @MaccaHeraldSun 18h18 hours ago
More Glenn McFarlane Retweeted SuperFooty (AFL)
Great appointment from @westernbulldogs with Ameet Bains set to be announced as early as Monday as new CEO. Quality footy person. Good move.

bornadog
23-10-2017, 03:13 AM
Let's hope it works out with the 4th CEO in as many years.

Axe Man
23-10-2017, 11:11 AM
It's official.

Bains to become Bulldogs CEO (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-10-23/bains-to-become-bulldogs-ceo)

The Western Bulldogs Football Club is delighted to announce that St Kilda Football Club Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel Ameet Bains will be succeeding Gary Kent as the Club’s new CEO for season 2018.

The Club expects Bains to start his new position in December, subject to completing certain duties with St. Kilda.

Bains has a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Monash University as well as a Bachelor of Business (Banking & Finance).

He worked for five years as a Lawyer at leading law firm Minter Ellison and also worked as Head of the Legal Department at Toyota Australia.

Bains joined the St Kilda Football Club in January 2011 as the club’s GM of Player List and Legal Affairs, and has subsequently progressed to his current role there as Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel.

Bains was the unanimous choice of the Board’s nominations sub-committee, comprising Peter Gordon, Vice President Kylie Watson-Wheeler, Fiona McGauchie and Mark Evans, and was also subsequently unanimously endorsed by the Club’s other directors, including retiring executive director, Gary Kent.

“We had a broad range of well-credentialled candidates for the position, both from inside the AFL industry and from a range of other professions. I’d like to thank them all for their interest,” said Bulldogs’ President Peter Gordon.

“We think that Ameet is ideally suited to our Club’s next stage of development, with his mix of legal, commercial, projects and football expertise.”

Bains said: “I am both honoured and humbled to be appointed as the Club’s CEO.

“The Club is well-positioned given its recent premiership success and accompanying commercial growth.

“I look forward to working with a very talented team in building upon this success.”

Twodogs
23-10-2017, 11:16 AM
It's official.

Bains to become Bulldogs CEO (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-10-23/bains-to-become-bulldogs-ceo)

The Western Bulldogs Football Club is delighted to announce that St Kilda Football Club Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel Ameet Bains will be succeeding Gary Kent as the Club’s new CEO for season 2018.

The Club expects Bains to start his new position in December, subject to completing certain duties with St. Kilda.

Bains has a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Monash University as well as a Bachelor of Business (Banking & Finance).

He worked for five years as a Lawyer at leading law firm Minter Ellison and also worked as Head of the Legal Department at Toyota Australia.

Bains joined the St Kilda Football Club in January 2011 as the club’s GM of Player List and Legal Affairs, and has subsequently progressed to his current role there as Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel.

Bains was the unanimous choice of the Board’s nominations sub-committee, comprising Peter Gordon, Vice President Kylie Watson-Wheeler, Fiona McGauchie and Mark Evans, and was also subsequently unanimously endorsed by the Club’s other directors, including retiring executive director, Gary Kent.

“We had a broad range of well-credentialled candidates for the position, both from inside the AFL industry and from a range of other professions. I’d like to thank them all for their interest,” said Bulldogs’ President Peter Gordon.

“We think that Ameet is ideally suited to our Club’s next stage of development, with his mix of legal, commercial, projects and football expertise.”

“The Club is well-positioned given its recent premiership success and accompanying commercial growth.

“I look forward to working with a very talented team in building upon this success.”

Would that be the draft?

ledge
23-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Would that be the draft?

Good chance, he was doing everything at that club it seems.

Twodogs
23-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Good chance, he was doing everything at that club it seems.

He started out in recruiting and he appears to have retained every job he had on the way to being promoted to COO. I hope St Kilda don't fall apart without him.

Actually yes I do. It'd be a nice little bonus.

Ozza
23-10-2017, 05:09 PM
He started out in recruiting and he appears to have retained every job he had on the way to being promoted to COO. I hope St Kilda don't fall apart without him.

Actually yes I do. It'd be a nice little bonus.

A mate of mine has been involved part-time/volunteer at the saints for over 20 years, and is a wrap for Baines. Reckons he is a good get for us - and that he is a good bloke also.

Doc26
23-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Would that be the draft?

Kind of fascinating position given that St.Kilda have the two picks before our Pick 9.

Fair to say that we are likely to get insight into who St.Kilda are targetting at 7 and 8.

Axe Man
23-10-2017, 05:28 PM
An old article giving a bit of insight into Bains' background. If he can tap further into the Western Suburbs multicultural population it could really set us up for the future.

Saint Bains' journey to the top a lesson for all
(http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-19/bains-ticks-all-the-boxes)
ST KILDA list manager Ameet Bains describes his background as "a little bit unconventional compared to most people in footy".

He's talking about his experiences in law and business, which eventually led him to the Saints, but he could easily be referencing his Indian heritage.

With the AFL celebrating Multicultural Round this week, players like Nic Naitanui, Bachar Houli and Lin Jong have promoted inclusion and diversity in the game.

Off the field, Bains has been setting a similar – albeit less public – example since he was appointed the Saints' general manager player list and legal affairs in January 2011.

His high standing at St Kilda is a testament to the value clubs can find by looking outside the AFL industry.

"You don't tend to see a lot of [diversity] in AFL football departments, which I don't believe is a deliberate thing, it's just the way it's evolved," Bains told AFL.com.au.

"I'd certainly hope with appointments like mine that will change over time."

Bains, 36, was born and raised in regional city Bendigo, 150km north of Melbourne, and grew up on a diet of football in winter and cricket in summer.

He first flew to India when he was six months old and says he has been fortunate to return to the country frequently, getting to know his extended family well and marrying wife Catherine there.

"I'm very much Australian and grew up in country Victoria, but I’ve also retained that strong Indian cultural link by visiting India a lot and having a lot of family back there," Bains said.

"That strong sense of family and family values are pretty important to me … things we've been taught from a young age like self respect, respect for others and tolerance.

"They're things that are important in a recruiting sense with some of the boys that we look at [drafting]."

Bains fell in love with Australian Football from a young age and would travel to Melbourne often to watch his father's beloved Hawthorn play.

Reflecting on his time as a player – he played with the Old Melburnians and Monash Blues in the VAFA until 2010 – he says the game wasn't close to being as diverse growing up as it is in 2014.

"I think that's reflective of Australian society," he said.

"We've become more and more diverse over time, particularly a city like Melbourne, and footy reflects that.

"Even in the recruiting space, if you go to games now and watch TAC Cup or school footy you can see a lot of different faces and a lot of different names, which certainly wasn't the case back then."

Just as Bains' cultural heritage is somewhat unique in the AFL system, so too was his professional path into the game having graduated from Monash University with a double degree in law and banking/finance.

He spent five years as a lawyer with firm Minter Ellison before moving to Toyota, where he was employed as an in-house lawyer and worked closely with sporting clubs and administrations, particularly the AFL.

He says he was fortunate St Kilda was looking for a list manager ahead of the 2011 season who could combine the traditional aspects of the role with a legal background.

Bains is back working closely with the AFL in 2014 as part of the League's drive to attract new fans and players to the game from different cultural backgrounds – particularly the local Indian, Chinese, African and Middle East communities.

He is optimistic about what can be achieved by promoting diversity in Australian football.

"My hope is that the AFL’s multicultural programs will be the genesis for many new Australians to emerge in our game, both as players and administrators," he said.

AndrewP6
23-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Can't wait to meet Ameet.

I'm sorry, I'll see myself out.

comrade
23-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Kind of fascinating position given that St.Kilda have the two picks before our Pick 9.

Fair to say that we are likely to get insight into who St.Kilda are targetting at 7 and 8.

He will start in December from what I read.

LostDoggy
23-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Our new CEO talking on SEN today.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/23/bains-ready-for-bulldogs-challenge/

craigsahibee
23-10-2017, 09:41 PM
It's official.

For a while there, that would have been a role that would’ve kept 5 people busy.

merantau
23-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Quality family, quality person. I've known his family for nearly 30 years.

bornadog
12-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Ameet Bains takes over as CEO of AFL club Western Bulldogs today (https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2017/12/11/ameet-bains-takes-over-ceo-afl-club-western-bulldogs-today)

Ameet Bains has been associated with Australian Rules Football ever since he was a child - he was an avid player as he grew up in Bendigo and followed the game with passion. He is now the first person of Indian origin to be appointed CEO of any elite sporting club in any major Australian sporting code.

Speaking to SBS Punjabi he said, "My family came to live in Bendigo in the 1970s and I'm very lucky that my father developed a love for footy very early on. I know a lot of Indian migrants find it hard to adapt to the game, but in my case we went to many AFL matches and I played a lot of footy growing up."

Until recently, he continued playing as an amateur - all the while supporting Carlton as his chosen AFL team.
Ameet Bains, who has previously worked for St Kilda FC for seven years

Seven years ago, he swapped Carlton's blue footy jumper to red and black, when he began working for St Kilda Football Club; today, on 11 December 2017, he is happily embracing another change, since he officially begins duties at AFL club Western Bulldogs as their CEO.

"This is a very exciting time to be joining Western Bulldogs," said Ameet. "They won the premiership in 2016 and have capitalised on it very well this year."

"AFL has actively encouraged participation from multicultural and indigenous communities for a few years now, and teams like Essendon have made a concerted outreach in the Indian / Punjabi community by running the Aus Kick program at Craigieburn Gurudwara."

"Now that I'm at Western Bulldogs, I hope to attract our community living in areas like Tarneit, Hoppers Crossing and Pt Cook, to AFL in larger numbers."

He also spoke of the possibility of hosting AFL fixtures in India sometime in the near future, similar to the scheduling of fixtures in China currently.

"I think it should be a lot easier to host games in India, because of the cricket grounds there, and the natural affiliation Indians have for all sports."

He encouraged everyone in the multicultural communities to participate more in AFL.

"There are more and more opportunities now for young boys and girls to get involved in footy - as a player, as a supporter and even to build a career within the AFL."

"I have a son and a daughter and each of them knows there are elite competitions they can participate in, as they grow."

"I think AFL is a great sport - more than anything it's fun. But also, since I've played it a lot, it's a great team sport that teaches you life skills like leadership, dealing with other people and working in a team."

Twodogs
12-12-2017, 11:02 AM
red and black, when he began working for St Kilda Football Club

Hehe. Red and black? Good old Sainters!

Eastdog
29-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Good luck Ameet.

bornadog
05-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Ameet, coming up on SEN and will discuss Dahl and more.

Axe Man
05-09-2018, 12:08 PM
What will Dahlhaus net Dogs? (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/super-rankings/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-september-5-2018/live-coverage/ee222c9b80c220f98c3002c7a0da7bca)

THE Western Bulldogs are expecting an end of first round compensation pick for Luke Dahlhaus, declaring a “benchmark” was set last year with Geelong’s Steven Motlop.

The Cats got Pick 19 as compensation when free agent Motlop deflected to Port Adelaide last year on a four-year contract.

Dahlhaus is 26 years old – the same age Motlop was – and has reportedly been offered a four-year deal by Geelong.

“It’s a difficult one given the formula’s not publicly known and I suppose we don’t know with the compensation that’s been awarded historically what the numbers and dollars have been,” Western Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains said on SEN radio.

“But there’s been some noise in the last 24 hours of Luke’s deal potentially being similar to Steven Motlop’s last year so if that is indeed the case I suppose a benchmark has been set last year.

“If it’s similar to that then we’d be expecting something similar in return.”

Bains said the club did not want to lose Dahlhaus and could potentially have kept the 2016 premiership player had it made a four-year offer but had other things to consider.

“There was a possibility but in terms of the list management decisions that a club needs to make in the context of free agency, we’re balancing the needs and wants of 44 players on our list and that always has to be the prevailing position for the club,” Bains said.

“I don’t think you’re ok (with it) because we obviously wanted him to stay and we had a multi-year contract on the table but you ultimately come to a decision point where you need to understand how far you’re willing to go and in the situation it means Luke isn’t staying with us.”

ledge
05-09-2018, 12:20 PM
That puts it into perspective about list management and good on the club to stick by its guns . List management is about what’s needed 2 or 3 years down the track.
Social media fans are going nuts about losing him but don’t when it happens to other clubs, works both ways and as much as it’s sad to see it’s the nature of the beast.
In hindsight Dahlhaus isn’t someone who will be hard to replace and maybe we see Rhylee west as the replacement coming in anyway.
I see it as good list management on a player getting offered overs to prize him out.
We will win on this one I have no doubt.
We haven’t lost in many at all lately even though the Stringer thing was regarded as a loss at the time, at worst we have come out better off , a rookie replacement who probably delivered the same Jake this year.

whythelongface
05-09-2018, 12:25 PM
That puts it into perspective about list management and good on the club to stick by its guns . List management is about what’s needed 2 or 3 years down the track.
Social media fans are going nuts about losing him but don’t when it happens to other clubs, works both ways and as much as it’s sad to see it’s the nature of the beast.
In hindsight Dahlhaus isn’t someone who will be hard to replace and maybe we see Rhylee west as the replacement coming in anyway.
I see it as good list management on a player getting offered overs to prize him out.
We haven’t lost in many at all lately even though the Stringer thing was regarded as a loss at the time, at worst we have come out better off , a rookie replacement who probably delivered the same Jake this year.

Agree ledge it is all about list management.

In regards to Stringer we also used our pick 25 (part of the Stringer trade from Essendon) to pick up Schache. In the long term we will come out in front (if we haven't already).

bornadog
05-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Ameet, coming up on SEN and will discuss Dahl and more.

You can listen to the interview here (https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=270961)

AshMac
06-09-2018, 09:17 AM

Speaks volumes to the confidence the club had in Dahlhaus returning to his 15/16 form if he stayed at the dogs.

FrediKanoute
06-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Even if Lukey D returns to something approaching his form, in terms of the trade we will probably be losers in years 1 and 2, but made to look like genius' beyond that. There is a concern with Dahlhaus that as he ages and he starts to lose his zip he doesn't have the tools to compensate in other areas. Aged 26 now, he should be at the peak of his powers from 28 onwards there will be a decline. He's not one I see playing much beyond 30.

Bullies
06-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Would have been irresponsible of the club to offer 4 years to Luke considering his form over the past 2 years. By all accounts the coach may be happy to see him gone as well.

ledge
07-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Would have been irresponsible of the club to offer 4 years to Luke considering his form over the past 2 years. By all accounts the coach may be happy to see him gone as well.

Not that happy if we still offered him another 3 years .

Bullies
08-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Not that happy if we still offered him another 3 years . We were always playing unders with Dal. We were never going to keep him.

Twodogs
09-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Not that happy if we still offered him another 3 years .

Not if we knew Geelong were offering 4.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Received a renewed members email from Bains today. He very well highlights the many great things on field and off field over the passed few months - there's a lot. I like his public ambition of aiming for 50,000 members.

Forget the old hashtags, ours should now be #NoExcuses

1eyedog
04-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Even if Lukey D returns to something approaching his form, in terms of the trade we will probably be losers in years 1 and 2, but made to look like genius' beyond that. There is a concern with Dahlhaus that as he ages and he starts to lose his zip he doesn't have the tools to compensate in other areas. Aged 26 now, he should be at the peak of his powers from 28 onwards there will be a decline. He's not one I see playing much beyond 30.

One of the worst kicks in the AFL

Testekill
14-11-2019, 12:57 PM

Think this was bang on although we came out fine in season one. Reckon Dahlhaus was borderline donezo with us and was due to fall off a cliff within those next couple of years.

Twodogs
14-11-2019, 02:24 PM
One of the worst kicks in the AFL

He's smart in his positioning and understands his limitations though so it's not a massive issue I reckon. I used to watch him when he played that small forward role and he would run to places on the field that he knew he could damage the opposition from. There were many times when he would look at the ball carrier and point to a certain spot on the ground he wanted the ball to be at. It didn't matter whether the ball hit him on the chest or rolled along the ground to him-he knew exactly how much time and space he needed to get the ball and slap it on his foot to kick a goal.

Dahl's big problem at the moment is he is trying to do too much. He spends it before he gets it. He's forgotten his limitations.

S Coast Simon
15-11-2019, 09:04 AM
The one thing I don’t understand anymore is everyone needs to be multi positional players. Sure I see you need to have a few that can dominate in a couple of positions. But what happened to the players just dominating a position and not being pretty good a three. Dalhaus was a great little forward that was a ferocious little bugger when he arrived. It was only when we tried to make him more of a midfielder that his flaws were exposed. Many of his goals didn’t fly through the air properly but straight enough for a goal that no one noticed the ball in flight. Once further up the field his kicking was exposed as not great. This should have been the sign that he should return to the forward line where he could get away with this. Instead we persisted to the point where he lost his love for the game and has moved on.
When Bevo arrived his greatest strength was that he made a game plan designed on the talents he had.( Buckley has done the opposite. He has turned over most of his list to get people that play his way ) Played boys where they thrived and won a premiership in his second year. Brilliant effort I must add by them all. But I wonder if Dalhaus had stayed closer to goal if he would be one of the premier small forward today. Not expecting much from him this year as young Miers has surprised with how he came on this year and gone past Dal. Geelong have taken on a fair contract with Dalhaus now that might hurt in the end.

Twodogs
15-11-2019, 08:02 PM
The one thing I don’t understand anymore is everyone needs to be multi positional players. Sure I see you need to have a few that can dominate in a couple of positions. But what happened to the players just dominating a position and not being pretty good a three. Dalhaus was a great little forward that was a ferocious little bugger when he arrived. It was only when we tried to make him more of a midfielder that his flaws were exposed. Many of his goals didn’t fly through the air properly but straight enough for a goal that no one noticed the ball in flight. Once further up the field his kicking was exposed as not great. This should have been the sign that he should return to the forward line where he could get away with this. Instead we persisted to the point where he lost his love for the game and has moved on.
When Bevo arrived his greatest strength was that he made a game plan designed on the talents he had.( Buckley has done the opposite. He has turned over most of his list to get people that play his way ) Played boys where they thrived and won a premiership in his second year. Brilliant effort I must add by them all. But I wonder if Dalhaus had stayed closer to goal if he would be one of the premier small forward today. Not expecting much from him this year as young Miers has surprised with how he came on this year and gone past Dal. Geelong have taken on a fair contract with Dalhaus now that might hurt in the end.

Yeah I don't understand that either. Tony Lockett only ever played one position in his life and even then he played it in a limited way and didn't run more than 30 metres away from the goalmouth. People will say "it was a different game back then" but you wouldn't knock a 25 yo Tony Lockett back if he turned up at your club and asked for a game today.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-11-2019, 10:22 PM
We are grateful that Dahl is in select company being one of only 42 players to be part of a winning flag in over 90 years. Regrettably he was one of a number of players to lose their way after 2016. He was perhaps a little fortunate to secure a 4 year contract at Geelong.

bornadog
16-11-2019, 02:20 AM
Yeah I don't understand that either. Tony Lockett only ever played one position in his life and even then he played it in a limited way and didn't run more than 30 metres away from the goalmouth. People will say "it was a different game back then" but you wouldn't knock a 25 yo Tony Lockett back if he turned up at your club and asked for a game today.

If the opposition gets the ball, the Full back will just run straight down the ground and become a loose man in the forward line leaving Tony sitting there waiting for the ball and hoping his team mates win back the ball.

jeemak
16-11-2019, 03:48 AM

I don't understand this.

By the time Bevo arrived in 2015 Dahl had already transitioned to a player who spent minutes in the midfield helping out and forward putting pressure on and trying to make the most of opportunities.

The reality is good specialist forwards have the discipline to nail opportunities after working really hard for them at the set shot, in addition to general play. Dahl due to his role and his poor set shot conversion rate just wasn't this player for us when we let him go.

Perhaps with more repetitive practice as a pure forward his set shot kicking may have gotten better, but I'm doubtful about that looking at his technique. He also was the subject of criticism from one of the most protective and reserved club hero commentators we have in Bob Murphy, when he was called out for lacking "motovation" (sic), you know, Dahl's response to that said more than Murphy's words.

The truth about Dahl is he was lucky to be a premiership player because he WAS versatile enough to put time into the middle of the ground instead of just being a forward, and he worked his arse off to be that versatile player. When he dropped off, which was his fault entirely, he lost the edge that actually made him really useful and effective, and for a player like him (and he'd know this) that's not enough to maintain a spot on a list like ours with the players we have coming through.

We are definitely better off without him, and with our current approach. The rumours are true, we had too many loose players at our club post 2016 and Dahl was one of them and it's good that he's been able to find a role in a top team and we've been able to regenerate in lieu of those loose players departing along with the retirements so quickly.

The regeneration of our list will possibly go down as one of the biggest master-strokes of list management and rejuvenation ever, if it comes off. Sure the club should be held to account for letting our situation post 2016 get so dire, however, irrespective of that we are a seriously good example of how in crises (which we clearly were after the premiership - as silly as that sounds, but, that's the thing about drugs and alcohol) a club can turn things around to challenge soon after huge turnover.

Without making players versatile, we'd be left with either the same talent pool all playing in defence or the middle, or cutting players and rebuilding again.

azabob
16-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Back to Ameet Baines he is also a multi position offical. Capable CEO and list manager