PDA

View Full Version : Drafting rules, what are they ?

ledge
21-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Just trying to get a hold of what rules apply..
How many does a team have to draft a year, does that include rookies or trades ?
In the draft how many years must you have them for, does it include players from other teams ?
Can you delist a player and re draft them and it's counted as a new draft pick?
I was trying to get hold of these answers but it seems that rules change every year and I can't keep track of which rules are for which year.
Wasn't the rookie list going to disappear and just become part of the normal list ?

hujsh
21-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Pretty sure you must take 3 in the national draft every year. Whether they've played before is irrelevant.

The contract draftees get is for two years IIRC but you probably could cut them like with did with Goetz (spelling) if you wanted to.

GVGjr
21-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Pretty sure you must take 3 in the national draft every year. Whether they've played before is irrelevant.

The contract draftees get is for two years IIRC but you probably could cut them like with did with Goetz (spelling) if you wanted to.

I think it's 3 changes to the primary list which (I think) can include a rookie list upgrade.
From the rookie list it's a 1 year commitment for players drafted from their home state and a 2 year commitment if you bring them in from interstate.

I'll hunt something down a bit later.

hujsh
21-10-2017, 08:20 PM
I think it's 3 changes to the primary list which (I think) can include a rookie list upgrade.
From the rookie list it's a 1 year commitment for players drafted from their home state and a 2 year commitment if you bring them in from interstate.

I'll hunt something down a bit later.

Right but it happens at the national draft with a draft pick (for whatever reason)

GVGjr
21-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Right but it happens at the national draft with a draft pick (for whatever reason)

Agreed.

westdog54
21-10-2017, 09:07 PM
This from the AFL website/app:

No room at Dogs for out-of-contract duo - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-21/no-room-at-dogs-for-outofcontract-duo

"Clubs are required to bring at least three players onto its lists by selecting them at the draft or upgrading someone from the rookie list."

For us, it means utilising pick 9 and 16 on draftees, and I believe we have already committed to upgrading Roarke Smith.

As it stands at the moment, there is no room on the list for Honeychurch or Crameri.

boydogs
21-10-2017, 11:32 PM
How many does a team have to draft a year, does that include rookies or trades ?

3. It doesn't include trades, or newly drafted rookies. It does include rookies upgraded to the senior list, which requires the use of a draft pick. It is likely that we will upgrade Roarke Smith with 82 as we only have 9, 16 and 82 to use

In the draft how many years must you have them for, does it include players from other teams ?

National Draftees all have a 2 year contract and set rates based on their selected position. This contract continues if the player changes clubs after the first year e.g. Tom Boyd

Can you delist a player and re draft them and it's counted as a new draft pick?

Yes, but they are available as a Delisted Free Agent before they are available in the draft, so you have to be confident another club won't snap them up for free, or draft them earlier than you if the players available at their earlier picks aren't what they hoped for. Crameri could get to us at 82 but would be in this situation

Wasn't the rookie list going to disappear and just become part of the normal list ?

In the AFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement for 2018-2022 agreed to in June 2017, the rookie lists were retained, however Category A rookies will be available for senior selection without having to be upgraded first

boydogs
21-10-2017, 11:35 PM

Goetz was a rookie, think he was on a 1 year deal and we paid him out for him to go early

hujsh
22-10-2017, 12:20 AM
Goetz was a rookie, think he was on a 1 year deal and we paid him out for him to go early

I know that but would it not be possible if they were on a two year contract? My assumption is if you can do it for him you could do it for regular draftees if you paid them out (like what happens with coaches)

boydogs
22-10-2017, 01:21 AM
I know that but would it not be possible if they were on a two year contract? My assumption is if you can do it for him you could do it for regular draftees if you paid them out (like what happens with coaches)

Yeah of course

ledge
22-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Looks like we lose both Crameri and honeychurch .. Question is.. is Rourke Smith better than either of them ?

ledge
22-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Could it be we don't up grade Rourke but keep him on the Footscray list ?
It's still looking after him and if he goes ok take him next year , yes I know it's a risk other teams might grab him but it's probably a safer way to look at it given his knees .

Hotdog60
22-10-2017, 04:11 PM
3. It doesn't include trades, or newly drafted rookies. It does include rookies upgraded to the senior list, which requires the use of a draft pick. It is likely that we will upgrade Roarke Smith with 82 as we only have 9, 16 and 82 to use

What about pick 101. How come it's listed if we can't use it.

hujsh
22-10-2017, 04:22 PM
What about pick 101. How come it's listed if we can't use it.

Technically we have picks as far back as we want if we chose to use them. To use pick 101 we need to delist 3 more players instead of 2.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Looks like we lose both Crameri and honeychurch .. Question is.. is Rourke Smith better than either of them ?

They may be. But they're on the primary list, Smith is on the rookie list and we need those two spots. So you can't judge them against each other on a spot on the primary list. So I take you're question, is should we use pick 82 on a rookie elevation or if Honey &/or Crameri were not taken as DFAs and made it all the way to 82 should we re-draft them?

I think they both get picked up as DFAs so the question will be Roarke as a kid with 82.

Twodogs
24-10-2017, 11:34 AM
In the AFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement for 2018-2022 agreed to in June 2017, the rookie lists were retained, however Category A rookies will be available for senior selection without having to be upgraded first

Are Cat A rookies just normal rookies? So to pick a rookie in the AFL team we won't have to drop a senior listed player to the LTI list or get them to retire.

bornadog
24-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Are Cat A rookies just normal rookies? So to pick a rookie in the AFL team we won't have to drop a senior listed player to the LTI list or get them to retire.

Pretty sure that is correct

boydogs
25-10-2017, 01:10 AM

Yeah, that whole business with long term injury list, mid-year promotion, promoting to the senior list before selection is gone

choconmientay
25-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Interesting Article about this year Draft Points after the trading period. Not sure it's fitting into this thread but I think it's interesting to see Essendon will have to work hard to get something valuable through the draft for their mere 371 point.

For reference, here is the AFL Draft points value http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Points-draft-value.pdf

Brisbane Lions have 6134 draft points, Essendon just 371 after AFL trade period (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-have-6134-draft-points-essendon-just-371-after-afl-trade-period/news-story/46a0a378d63da9e399f90b6991849838)

The Bombers have just 371 draft points, miles behind the AFL-leading Brisbane Lions who have more than 6000 points up their sleeve heading into next month’s national draft.

The points are a clear indication of the strength of every club’s draft hand when all their picks are added together.

The AFL introduced the draft points index in 2015 as a way to value selections which clubs use to pay for father-son and academy selections on draft night (for example, if a club ahead of Richmond in this year’s draft order bids for Patrick Naish, the Tigers can match the bid and claim Naish, but have to pay for moving up the order in draft points — minus a 20 per cent discount). It’s also a way of measuring who wins in trade deals.

Pick one is worth 3000 points, pick 10 is worth 1395 points, pick 50 is 273 points and pick 73 is worth nine points — every pick after that is worth zero.

Draft points ladder

Club Draft points
1. Brisbane Lions 6134
2. Fremantle 5045
3. Carlton 4267
4. St Kilda 4204
5. West Coast 3935
6. Richmond 3133
7. GWS Giants 2981
8. North Melbourne 2950
9. Melbourne 2730
10. Collingwood 2584
11. Western Bulldogs 2536
12. Geelong 2341
13. Sydney 1983
14. Gold Coast 1853
15. Adelaide 1714
16. Port Adelaide 1011
17. Hawthorn 437
18. Essendon 371

Taken literally, a player taken at pick one is six times as good as a player who goes at pick 36 (502 points) and about 100 times better than pick 71 (29 points), which of course is not always entirely accurate.

But it does reveal some big take-outs from the post-season:

— Essendon will pay the price on draft night for giving away its two highest draft picks for Jake Stringer and Devon Smith. The Bombers’ first selection is pick 48, worth only 302 points.

— Hawthorn is still paying for parting with most of its draft picks this year to get its hands on Jaeger O’Meara and Tom Mitchell last year. After also handing over pick 33 for Jarman Impey, it has only two picks with a points value: 43 (378 points) and 68 (59 points)

— Fremantle won the trade period when draft points are factored in. As well as snaring Nathan Wilson and Brandon Matera, the Dockers kept their own pick 5 (1878 points) and added pick 2 (2517 points) in a swap for Lachie Weller

— Carlton was smart, too, bringing in three players and keeping two top-10 draft picks

— North Melbourne fans might be scratching their heads after the Roos failed to add to their list or improve their draft position, despite being in full rebuild mode. How are they behind Richmond and the Giants?

— The Tigers are in a very strong position after winning the flag, with a late pick swap with the Lions — plus the future pick they got for Brett Deledio last year — helping them move up 12 places from a ‘natural’ draft order.

— West Coast has five picks inside the top 40 but just one in the top 20 resulting in a healthy but not outstanding draft points ranking. Word is they have some mature-age WAFL players on the radar who could be picked up in the second or third round.

Of course, draft points on their own aren’t worth anything. Now it’s up to recruiters to make them count.

westdog54
25-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that whole business with long term injury list, mid-year promotion, promoting to the senior list before selection is gone

I think you need a LTI to promote a Cat B rookie but I stand to be corrected.