PDA

View Full Version : New record by the Blues? How did they stuff up so badly?

Dry Rot
06-11-2017, 03:27 PM
The Blues delisted or traded out 42 players in 3 seasons.

See http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-05/the-42-departed-blues-where-are-they-now

Is that a record?

If you read about each player, how did they get so many wrong?

Twodogs
06-11-2017, 03:57 PM
That's a lot of players. It would have to be close to a modern day record churning through a third of your list each year.

macca
07-11-2017, 02:42 AM
Interesting that Gowers was on their list , is this the same Gowers player for footscray ?

Huge number from WA listed.

A few potential eker nominations on that list.

They let a few good payers go as well : gartlett , Waite, Betts being the amazing loss. HAmpson was an ok defender not sure why he became a ruck at richmond .

We could have pinched Kruezer if only he passed a medical

Twodogs
07-11-2017, 03:48 AM
Interesting that Gowers was on their list , is this the same Gowers player for footscray ?

They let a few good payers go as well : gartlett , Waite, Betts being the amazing loss. HAmpson was an ok defender not sure why he became a ruck at richmond .

Yep same Billy Gowers.

Twodogs
07-11-2017, 03:53 AM

Josh Kennedy wins Coleman medals for fun at West Coast. Technically he's probably out of the time period for this but it doesn't change the fact he wore Navy Blue.

Remi Moses
07-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Kernahan still cries over the loss of Kennedy, but it was a sacrifice they had to make .
Betts at the time looked like an overpriced Adelaide recruit, but he’s been better than even they’d imagined.
Hampson is hopeless, but the Grigg trade was a shocker . There was a story that SOS had just shook his head at the draft at some of their selections .The whole raid GWS theory has been hit or miss ( mainly miss) although fire a thousand bullets , you’re bound to hit something . Malthouse took them backwards at a million miles an hour with his almost vengeful coaching and recruiting .

Twodogs
07-11-2017, 10:14 AM
It was Malthouse using Carlton to take his frustration out on Collingwood that was really weird.

Go_Dogs
07-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Big list of names made more interesting when you look at the likes of Liam Jones who isn't on it.

While it's a significant turnover, a new list manager and coach coming into a perennial wooden spooner were always bound to shake things up and leave their imprint.

Twodogs
07-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Big list of names made more interesting when you look at the likes of Liam Jones who isn't on it.

While it's a significant turnover, a new list manager and coach coming into a perennial wooden spooner were always bound to shake things up and leave their imprint.

Bloody good point. I wonder if Carlton could have that moment they signed him for another 3 years (or was it 2? It was a miracle whatever it was) back again if they would take it?

I don't know why but I have a certain amount of goodwill towards Liam Jones. Normally I couldn't give a rats arse when a player leaves the colours but Liam's career has a car accident aspect to it in that occasionally slows down and comes into sharp relief.

macca
10-11-2017, 03:43 AM
Kernahan still cries over the loss of Kennedy, but it was a sacrifice they had to make .
Betts at the time looked like an overpriced Adelaide recruit, but he’s been better than even they’d imagined.
Hampson is hopeless, but the Grigg trade was a shocker . There was a story that SOS had just shook his head at the draft at some of their selections .The whole raid GWS theory has been hit or miss ( mainly miss) although fire a thousand bullets , you’re bound to hit something . Malthouse took them backwards at a million miles an hour with his almost vengeful coaching and recruiting .

Thats now Grigg, premiership player they let go, cause he could not break into their midfield, beggers belief ???

Along similar theme of plays walking out. Houli , could have been BOG according to some, walked out on the drug cheats

Malthouse boom recruit in Daisy did not quite worked out either. Thomas is fortunate that the blues are in a rebuilding stage, as they need mature bodies for another year or 2 as the young midfield grows experience

bulldogtragic
05-05-2019, 03:39 PM
As a result of the pick trade last year, the Blues currently trading pick 2, for pick 13. Could be pick 1 if they get well beaten next week.

Surely they sack SOS if this gap continues this year.

MrMahatma
05-05-2019, 09:30 PM
As a result of the pick trade last year, the Blues currently trading pick 2, for pick 13. Could be pick 1 if they get well beaten next week.

Surely they sack SOS if this gap continues this year.

Looking likely to be a horror deal!

bulldogtragic
05-05-2019, 09:57 PM
Looking likely to be a horror deal!

It’s looking like that margin will hold having a look at things. Liam Stocker (the player the trade was for) is going to need to be a dead set gun long term to remotely even it out. Adelaide will be ecstatic having pick 1 or 2 this year.

Mofra
05-05-2019, 10:37 PM
It’s looking like that margin will hold having a look at things. Liam Stocker (the player the trade was for) is going to need to be a dead set gun long term to remotely even it out. Adelaide will be ecstatic having pick 1 or 2 this year.
He's an inside mid so they debut him on the HBF and he has a shocker.

At one point a year or so ago they played the same number of first round draft picks in their side as GWS.
They are horrible at player development.
e.g. O'Brien was a lineball selection just ahead of Ed Richards for them. Compare the pair? There is no comparison.

I'll stick my neck out now - within 3 years Bailey Smith will be a better player than Sam Walsh. Anyone is free to bump this.

divvydan
05-05-2019, 10:38 PM
If they considered last year's draft's top end to be as strong as most people did and if it's true that they rated Stocker at #6 overall in that draft, then even if it ends up costing them pick 1 or 2 this year for a mid/late first round pick, I still think they did the right thing overall.

Happy Days
05-05-2019, 11:23 PM
He's an inside mid so they debut him on the HBF and he has a shocker.

At one point a year or so ago they played the same number of first round draft picks in their side as GWS.
They are horrible at player development.
e.g. O'Brien was a lineball selection just ahead of Ed Richards for them. Compare the pair? There is no comparison.

I'll stick my neck out now - within 3 years Bailey Smith will be a better player than Sam Walsh. Anyone is free to bump this.

O'Brien and Dow are already looking like lost causes, which is quite frankly an amazing turnaround on some elite draft capital. At least they're punctual I guess.

On the other hand, Walsh is already a superstar and I don't know if I'd feel confident saying anyone will be better than him in three years.

Twodogs
06-05-2019, 12:26 PM
O'Brien and Dow are already looking like lost causes, which is quite frankly an amazing turnaround on some elite draft capital. At least they're punctual I guess.

On the other hand, Walsh is already a superstar and I don't know if I'd feel confident saying anyone will be better than him in three years.

I've seen Walsh do some standard things pretty well but I haven't seen him shimmy through a pack, take the ball with clean hands then accelerate away and deliver it as smoothly as I saw Smith did on Saturday night. I'm with Mofra. Smith is a gun.

comrade
06-05-2019, 12:32 PM
I've seen Walsh do some standard things pretty well but I haven't seen him shimmy through a pack, take the ball with clean hands then accelerate away and deliver it as smoothly as I saw Smith did on Saturday night. I'm with Mofra. Smith is a gun.

Please tell me I’m not crazy when I say that Smith plays just like Brad Johnson at the same age. Same acceleration, same slight hunch.

Ghost Dog
06-05-2019, 03:05 PM
It was Malthouse using Carlton to take his frustration out on Collingwood that was really weird.

Yeah I used to work with a lot of die-hard Carlton fans. It was a miserable time for them and they use to joke " We know he still wears Collingwood underwear". Carlton fans are just the most miserable of them all. Worse than Melbourne, because Dees fans are still a bit self-depreciating and can poke fun at themselves. Blues fans still think they deserve to be a big club.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2019, 08:44 PM
The most relevant club according to John Elliott are currently trading pick 1 for pick 16. I understand they rated Liam Stocker, but no one would trade pick 19 in one year for giving up pick 1 and a 15 pick downgrade.

Go_Dogs
14-05-2019, 08:05 PM
The most relevant club according to John Elliott are currently trading pick 1 for pick 16. I understand they rated Liam Stocker, but no one would trade pick 19 in one year for giving up pick 1 and a 15 pick downgrade.

But imagine if they had ANOTHER pick 1 and continued to get pumped every week in 2020? That would've been even worse.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2019, 08:55 PM
But imagine if they had ANOTHER pick 1 and continued to get pumped every week in 2020? That would've been even worse.

For who? If they're getting pumped each week, and maybe even lose to us, I don't mind what pick they have. Carlton losing is like 'The White Album'. It just never gets old.

Remi Moses
14-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Incredibly stupid decision
Silvagni gets kudos for being a great list manager !
Great player , but not a great list manager .

ledge
14-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Incredibly stupid decision
Silvagni gets kudos for being a great list manager !
Great player , but not a great list manager .

Like Dodoro at Essendon, no finals win since 2000 and the media write how they win the draft every year.
All Silvagni has done is pick up players that he recruited at GWS or anyone named Silvagni.

josie
15-05-2019, 12:19 AM
Please tell me I’m not crazy when I say that Smith plays just like Brad Johnson at the same age. Same acceleration, same slight hunch.
I must be crazy too/two!! My nickname for him is BBJ - blond brad Johnson. He even has similar big grin. Let’s hope his career is as stellar as brad’s.

Mofra
15-05-2019, 01:15 PM
They look similar, it would be interesting to see compare their km's covered in a game because Johnno was a champion junior middle distance runner and Smith had an interrupted pre-season.

I think Smith will be more "explosive" but Johnno was superior overhead, an underrated mark on the lead.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Public Service Announcement: If in the presence of Carlton people, be kind and remind them they’re currently trading pick 1 for pick 15.

Ghost Dog
14-06-2019, 01:29 AM
If they beat us, this thread might not seem so funny....

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Yeah I used to work with a lot of die-hard Carlton fans. It was a miserable time for them and they use to joke " We know he still wears Collingwood underwear". Carlton fans are just the most miserable of them all. Worse than Melbourne, because Dees fans are still a bit self-depreciating and can poke fun at themselves. Blues fans still think they deserve to be a big club.
Pagan and Malthouse wasn’t the problem at Carlton but more to do with the toxic culture they inherited from the Elliott/ Collins culture days reducing Carlton from once a powerhouse in the AFL to an also ran. Whether the current Board is capable of turning its fortunes around is still Questionable.

Twodogs
18-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Pagan and Malthouse wasn’t the problem at Carlton but more to do with the toxic culture they inherited from the Elliott/ Collins culture days reducing Carlton from once a powerhouse in the AFL to an also ran. Whether the current Board is capable of turning its fortunes around is still Questionable.

Yep agreed. I read a lot of salty Carlton supporters saying that the punishment they copped for salary cap cheating in 1999 were too much and set the club back too far. Well, yeah, that was part of the idea. They benefited from cheating and playing cute with the rules and spirit of the competition so they get no sympathy from me.

ledge
19-06-2019, 12:34 AM
Yep agreed. I read a lot of salty Carlton supporters saying that the punishment they copped for salary cap cheating in 1999 were too much and set the club back too far. Well, yeah, that was part of the idea. They benefited from cheating and playing cute with the rules and spirit of the competition so they get no sympathy from me.

Well how long can they use that excuse it’s 20years ago.

hujsh
19-06-2019, 12:58 AM
Well how long can they use that excuse it’s 20years ago.

How many rebuilds can you go though in that time? Surely enough

Twodogs
19-06-2019, 09:53 AM
How many rebuilds can you go though in that time? Surely enough

Until they get it right. And that means bringing kids in, teaching them properly and stop taking short cuts with crap players from other clubs. It's a long process and it can't be abrogated.

bornadog
19-06-2019, 10:11 AM
For all I care, they can stay at the bottom. :D

Twodogs
19-06-2019, 12:01 PM
For all I care, they can stay at the bottom. :D

I'm going past that to say I hope they stay on the bottom. Apart from Richmond Carlton supporters are the most arrogant in the competition. I'm enjoying all the schadenfreude after the late '70s and early '80s-although even then we usually did OK against them. They really touched us up a couple of times with 20 goal wins but even reigning Carlton premiership teams used to dread the trip out to West Footscray.

1983 was the best. We finished stone, motherless last in 1982 and Carlton and Hawthorn played off in the grand final. We lose to Geelong in R1 and then went on 4 week winning spree that starts with Carlton at Whitten oval and includes Hawthorn two weeks later at Princes Park. That must be a unique record the wooden spooners beating both the grand finalists in the first 4 weeks of the season. That was a good team that Shane O'Sullivan (the one true SOS!) somehow put together on the smell of an oily rag.

ledge
19-06-2019, 02:20 PM
The thing is with Carlton they still just keep sacking coaches and not looking at the culture or where they are going wrong higher up.
They still think being from Carlton means your going to bring success.
They won’t improve until they look in the mirror instead of passing the buck.

Sedat
19-06-2019, 05:32 PM
There's only 1 team to win a flag in the same year they cheated the salary cap and they did it twice - Essendon in 1993 and 2000 (both flags should be stripped forever from the record books just as the storm's flags were). Then of course they disgraced the competition with their systematic PED regime straight out of East Germany, and were able to actually benefit through first access to supplementary list players and being able to trade into the first 2 rounds of the draft.

Carlton are dirty skunks who cheated the cap but they were punished far more than those red and black scumbags.

Twodogs
19-06-2019, 07:04 PM
There's only 1 team to win a flag in the same year they cheated the salary cap and they did it twice - Essendon in 1993 and 2000 (both flags should be stripped forever from the record books just as the storm's flags were). Then of course they disgraced the competition with their systematic PED regime straight out of East Germany, and were able to actually benefit through first access to supplementary list players and being able to trade into the first 2 rounds of the draft.

Carlton are dirty skunks who cheated the cap but they were punished far more than those red and black scumbags.

It's a good point. I'm happy to take Essendon's flags off them. they should take 1923-24 off them too, they bribed their way to those.