PDA

View Full Version : Rate a team in 2008: Adelaide

Dry Rot
22-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Thought i'd start with the Crows, since they are a favourite team of ours ;) and we pinched their FF and 1st ruck.

How do you rate them in 2008?

IMHO they are on the slide. Their quality older players are, well, that bit older, they have no good rucks and a dodgy forward line. And a few rumours that some players aren't happy with Craig.

My prediction: 9 - 12th.

Thoughts?

Feel free to start your own threads about other teams.

BulldogBelle
22-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Correct DR...internal rumblings galore out Adelaide way....

It will be interesting to see how they tackle 2008. A lot of internal rumbling at the club with Craig being the centrepiece surrounding that. The now infamous 'Approaching 30 Contract Rule" the club has adopted has unsettled a few players - some have left but some of those are still there & harbouring a mild grudge. Craig's coaching ideas are baffling a few of the heirarchy also.

I see them just outside the 8 - and missing out on the finals.

Bulldog Revolution
22-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Thought i'd start with the Crows, since they are a favourite team of ours ;) and we pinched their FF and 1st ruck.

How do you rate them in 2008?

IMHO they are on the slide. Their quality older players are, well, that bit older, they have no good rucks and a dodgy forward line. And a few rumours that some players aren't happy with Craig.

My prediction: 9 - 12th.

Thoughts?

Feel free to start your own threads about other teams.

The problem is that they whilst we pinched a few players, they'd already pinched superstar Tony McGuiness and a premiership (1997)

Its so hard to know pre-season what is going to shake down but I think they are definitely a reasonable team to pick to slide, they've lost their best ruck and goal kicker, plus an injured but superstar in Riccuito.

always right
22-01-2008, 09:25 AM
On paper they look like they will struggle but they have a habit of proving peole wrong. Their home ground advantage is enough to get them a number of wins and I expect them to be competing for eighth spot with about six other clubs. Their biggest worry is their reliance on McLeod and Goodwin. They are also relying on Hentschell to come back successfully from a serious knee injury. As we learned with Murphy, it doesn't automatically turn out as you hope in the first year back.

Mantis
22-01-2008, 09:46 AM
On paper they look like they will struggle but they have a habit of proving peole wrong. Their home ground advantage is enough to get them a number of wins and I expect them to be competing for eighth spot with about six other clubs. Their biggest worry is their reliance on McLeod and Goodwin. They are also relying on Hentschell to come back successfully from a serious knee injury. As we learned with Murphy, it doesn't automatically turn out as you hope in the first year back.

Spot on.

They already start the year with 6 to 8 wins just for this reason. If they play well for another 4 to 6 games they are sniffing around the 8.

Adelaide are a very disciplined football and on most occassions give a very good account of themselves.

They have lost a few players, but it must be remembered that they gave a very good account of themselves against Hawthorn in there last outing. Hawthorn are supposedly the new glamour team, perhaps a bit like we were at the start of the 07 season. Remember what happened to the team we beat in the 06 finals who were expected to fall by the way side.

Go_Dogs
22-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Between their home ground advantage, and terminator like resolve to uphold Craig's structures, I can't help but think that they will be around the mark again.

They have a few excellent senior players, a reasonable group of younger players and a few exciting youngsters who could surprise this year.

I still feel they are a couple of forwards short, and don't have enough diversity and goal kicking options through their midfield. That's OK for them though, as they play a defensive game.

I think they'll be around the 8 again, but the losses of Welsh and Hudson are detrimental unless one of Tippet/Sellar/Griffen can stand up as a key forward.

Sockeye Salmon
22-01-2008, 10:44 AM
9-12th.

westdog54
22-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Between their home ground advantage, and terminator like resolve to uphold Craig's structures, I can't help but think that they will be around the mark again.

They have a few excellent senior players, a reasonable group of younger players and a few exciting youngsters who could surprise this year.

I still feel they are a couple of forwards short, and don't have enough diversity and goal kicking options through their midfield. That's OK for them though, as they play a defensive game.

I think they'll be around the 8 again, but the losses of Welsh and Hudson are detrimental unless one of Tippet/Sellar/Griffen can stand up as a key forward.

Here's what I don't get. For years we've been lampooned for a lack of key forwards in the media, yet Adelaide have been relying on what I consider to be a far inferior forward line for years. Perrie was the great white hope there for years, despite the fact he was, to coin a Sockeye Salmon phrase, "'Patrick Wiggins level' poo". Ken McGregor had a good first half in the elimination final and all of a sudden he's a star again, but in reality, their best two forwards, Welsh and Ricciuto, are now no longer with the club. I can't see then having the cattle to kick scores that will get them into the finals.

11th-14th for me.

Go_Dogs
22-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Here's what I don't get. For years we've been lampooned for a lack of key forwards in the media, yet Adelaide have been relying on what I consider to be a far inferior forward line for years. Perrie was the great white hope there for years, despite the fact he was, to coin a Sockeye Salmon phrase, "'Patrick Wiggins level' poo". Ken McGregor had a good first half in the elimination final and all of a sudden he's a star again, but in reality, their best two forwards, Welsh and Ricciuto, are now no longer with the club. I can't see then having the cattle to kick scores that will get them into the finals.

11th-14th for me.

All very true.

They need someone like Burton to stand up and perhaps Johncock to move forward to add some more options to goal kicking. I quite liked the look of young Griffen as a tall forward option, especially if he has added some size. Besides that, their midfielders in Goodwin, Edwards, Shirely, Reilly etc will have to kick more goals.

GVGjr
22-01-2008, 07:40 PM
I think they are an solid team that are very well coached but a team that could be on the slide. 6 to 8 is my prediction

Go_Dogs
01-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Biglands apparently down with an ACL reported in this mornings paper. If so, certainly increases the pain of losing Hudson.

hujsh
01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Biglands apparently down with an ACL reported in this mornings paper. If so, certainly increases the pain of losing Hudson.

OMG! He is Darcy in a mask.

dog town
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Logic says they will fall this year as they were already on the decline and now have an even further depleted side. Be interesting to see what Craig can do with a younger list. A bit of a clean out might have been just what the doctor ordered. Its not as if the game plan they use needs any real brillinace. Hard work and discipline is what they rely on and they might be hungry with everyone writing them off.

Mofra
02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Se their rucks are Maric, Meeson & Griffen (who I rate, but he is 1-2 pre-seasons away from being a real no 1 ruckman).

Without at least 1 decent ruckman, teams will struggle. Grant Thomas found out the hard way, and we were poor in this area last year as well.

Batman
02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
My hatred of Adelaide does not bias me...much...seriously they will slide to 12-16.

Can only see Melbourne and Essendon being worse.

Biglands is gone, Ricciuto gone, Welsh gone, Hudson gone.

They are like us but with no ruck (we stole theirs) and no marking fwd of note (we stole that too).

Actually what odds for spoon....? ;)

BulldogBelle
02-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Se their rucks are Maric, Meeson & Griffen (who I rate, but he is 1-2 pre-seasons away from being a real no 1 ruckman).

Great kid Ivan Maric, I know him personally he is well aware of the opportunity infront of him and he is more than willing to grasp it with open arms. He is training very well and commited to the AFC.

The Underdog
03-02-2008, 10:04 AM

Without at least 1 decent ruckman, teams will struggle. Grant Thomas found out the hard way, and we were poor in this area last year as well.

Meesen went to Melbourne in trade week. They got Moran from North as a replacement.
I agree Griffin is good but still needs support. Someone is going to have to step up to help. This is a big injury for them if he's out for the year.

GVGjr
03-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Meesen went to Melbourne in trade week. They got Moran from North as a replacement.
I agree Griffin is good but still needs support. Someone is going to have to step up to help. This is a big injury for them if he's out for the year.

Biglands also rucks a bit so they are not too far off the mark. (He is over his injury worries isn't he?)

Moran will be an interesting one. He started to make some progress last year and if he can still keep improving they won't be too far off the mark.

LostDoggy
03-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Biglands also rucks a bit so they are not too far off the mark. (He is over his injury worries isn't he?)

No I think he did his knee again.

GVGjr
03-02-2008, 12:31 PM
No I think he did his knee again.

Well that does limit their ruck strength.

hujsh
03-02-2008, 02:34 PM

His job is as a number 1 ruckman.

GVGjr
03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
His job is as a number 1 ruckman.
Now that Hudson has left. I can't recall him being used often as the number 1 ruckman when Hudson was fit.

hujsh
03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Now that Hudson has left. I can't recall him being used often as the number 1 ruckman when Hudson was fit.

2006. If he wasn't already he became no.1 but was injured in the prelim

Go_Dogs
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah, Biglands was predominately the #1 ruck at Adelaide, also quite handy when rested up forward. Certainly would have been an important player this season.

Mantis
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah, Biglands was predominately the #1 ruck at Adelaide, also quite handy when rested up forward.

In the game we narrowly won at the MCG late in 06 Biglands was quite important up forward. IIRC he kicked a couple late in the game to put Adelaide back in front.

aker39
05-02-2008, 03:08 PM
In the game we narrowly won at the MCG late in 06 Biglands was quite important up forward. IIRC he kicked a couple late in the game to put Adelaide back in front.

IIRC, Street gave away a 50m penalty to him.

Mantis
05-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Probably..

Sockeye Salmon
05-02-2008, 04:33 PM

Did he?

Carl, do you remember that one at all?

hujsh
05-02-2008, 04:47 PM
I think Biglands had the most goals by any ruckmen that year

mighty_west
05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I'd have them in my bottom 4, Roo will be a massive loss for them, super player, Welsh & Hudson are also a big loss, not superstars, but play a very important role, as they will at the Doggies.

Biglands knee will be devistating, not just for the team, but for himself, could spell the end for him, which is crap, especially doing it in pre season, we all know what that feels like, with Darcy, just shocking, wish him all the best.

Maric & Griffen will get valuable game time in the ruck, but will take a few years to really come on, still very skinny, will be pushed around, especially in the second half of the season.

13 - 15th

Go_Dogs
05-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Did he?

I believe this to be correct. Someone certainly gave away the 50, I remember pulling my hair out with stress. Pretty sure it was big Pete.

hujsh
05-02-2008, 07:10 PM
I believe this to be correct. Someone certainly gave away the 50, I remember pulling my hair out with stress. Pretty sure it was big Pete.

I think you're right

LostDoggy
05-02-2008, 11:05 PM
I think SS is picking on Twodogs as he nearly walked out when it happened.

Sockeye Salmon
07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I think SS is picking on Twodogs as he nearly walked out when it happened.

The explosion in the Ponsford stand was bigger than the one in Hiroshima!

LostDoggy
07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Stone-motherless.

Twodogs
07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Did he?

:o

The problem was I could see that Streeta was going to do it, going to do it and then he did it-it was like one of those 'car accident slow motion effect' things. That tirade was building up momentum inside me as I watched Biglands mark, saw Street running in and thought "dont, dont dont be an idiot Streeta" My only regret is that there were so many kids under the age of 10 in the immediate vicinity.

Sockeye Salmon
07-02-2008, 04:27 PM
:o

The problem was I could see that Streeta was going to do it, going to do it and then he did it-it was like one of those 'car accident slow motion effect' things. That tirade was building up momentum inside me as I watched Biglands mark, saw Street running in and thought "dont, dont dont be an idiot Streeta" My only regret is that there were so many kids under the age of 10 in the immediate vicinity.

Braydon agreed with you!!!!

LostDoggy
07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
There is no way Adelaide will finish last. With a home ground advantage they have, a bad year is just outside the 8.

Sockeye Salmon
07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Backline: Rutten, Bock and Bassett are good bigger guys. Johncock and McLeod give good run and use the ball well. Excellent backline.

Forwardline: Gill can't kick, McGregor's no good and Hentchell has 1 leg. Riscuitto and Welsh have gone. They might not score at all.

Rucks: Oh dear. Griffen and Maric would want to learn quick.

Midfield: Edwards and Goodwin are class, Thompson and Reilly go OK, Van Berlo and Knights might be players with a few more games under their belts. Need to find about half a dozen more.

Can't possibly make the 8.

Twodogs
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Stone-motherless.

When do Cooney and Griff come out of contract?

GVGjr
07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
When do Cooney and Griff come out of contract?

Yes a weak Adelaide isn't great for us. Not that I think these guys will ever want to head home but maybe a Tiller could be a chance.

Twodogs
07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Yes a weak Adelaide isn't great for us. Not that I think these guys will ever want to head home but maybe a Tiller could be a chance.

Not to mention we held them over a barrel with the Hudson trade.

Go_Dogs
07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I met one of Adam's friends from HS a while ago, we were both pretty pissed at a mutual mates BDay, and he seemed to be happy to tell me that Adam had told him, he wished to come back to Adelaide.

I somehow doubt that any of the young group will, they have a lot to prove and should realise the potential they have if they stick together. I would bet big money though that Adelaide will try very hard to chase both Cooney and Griff.

Dry Rot
07-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Yes a weak Adelaide isn't great for us.

Agreed - it would be better that they finish sixth forever.

LostDoggy
07-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Bottom four, my two cents tinkles.

Coon, Griff and Tills won't want to leave a winning side, so our best chance of keeping them would be not so much to hope that the Crows become a middling side instead of finishing rock bottom every year (what has become of us? Have we forgotten the pain already? ;)), but to develop a dynasty here at the Dogs. Not a word thrown around very often with us usually just hoping to sneak into the eight or four or stealing a premiership.. but with the list Rocket and the team are building and the average age there is some serious upside to this football club, and we should not be expecting any less than to give the comp a good shake for the next four to five years.

Sockeye Salmon
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
They won't finish last. Even in their worst years they'll still win half their games at home and another 2 away. That gives them 8 wins and 13th spot.

LostDoggy
08-02-2008, 11:56 AM
There is no way Adelaide will finish last. With a home ground advantage they have, a bad year is just outside the 8.

I concede my prediction was motivated by selfish desire.

LostDoggy
08-02-2008, 05:00 PM
How do I hate them in 2008?

I predict they will remain extremely hateable this year, possibly more so now that the decent Ricciuto has left the scene. I can't remember hating a team more than this Adelaide side. '97-'98 and all that, but also Neil Craig, he seems to think football can be 'managed', and that football needs more professionalism and 'science'. It is a detestable attitude. Football is chaos.

So, I hope for 16th, but realistically, home wins will put them 8th or 9th.

GVGjr
10-02-2008, 08:11 AM
The Crows were impressive last night against a very strong Collingwood side. I think the Pies only had two untested players on the ground because they were doing the right thing by their major sponsor.

I'm starting to think that the Crows won't be as good as the last few years but unless they use the season as a rebuilding one they still have enough quality players to keep them in the mix.

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Yes only a NAB cup game but from what I saw Adelaide will be there abouts again.
I understand they have no Biglands and Hudson. There stand ins of Stevens, Maric and Moran did alright.
Craig has a knack getting the best out unknowns here and havin ga fit team full of running
Some of their little blokes will also take a step up.eg Knights, Porpecia(?), Van Berlo, etc

Collingwood's skills were terrible. Passing and decision making. I hope it stays that way.

GVGjr
10-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Yes only a NAB cup game but from what I saw Adelaide will be there abouts again.
I understand they have no Biglands and Hudson. There stand ins of Stevens, Maric and Moran did alright.
Craig has a knack getting the best out unknowns here and havin ga fit team full of running
Some of their little blokes will also take a step up.eg Knights, Porpecia(?), Van Berlo, etc

Collingwood's skills were terrible. Passing and decision making. I hope it stays that way.

In fairness to the Pies they looked jaded from the start and have been away for a while but the Crows did look sharp enough to suggest that the won't decline too much. Sellars looked OK as well and might offer them something as a forward with the odd spell in the ruck. Moran seems to be a good addition for them.

The Pies will be disappointed with their showing and it's not a good sign to have game in front of their major sponsor and perform so poorly.

Go_Dogs
10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Summer champs, up and running too early...

They certainly looked very, very fit. Every contest they out-numbered the Pies.

Tippett is the one to look out for IMO. Very young, raw, but took a great contested mark and has the size/frame to become a very good player for mine. Sellars was impressive, seems to have greatly improved his fitness from last year (where he struggled to get SANFL games) and has added some muscle. The problem for them will be the fact that they have very young players in most of the key posts, particularly up forward, in the middle and in the rucks. They'll be inconsistent.

Their new game style looked good though, much more attacking and free flowing, corridor football.

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 12:16 PM
In fairness to the Pies they looked jaded from the start and have been away for a while but the Crows did look sharp enough to suggest that the won't decline too much. Sellars looked OK as well and might offer them something as a forward with the odd spell in the ruck. Moran seems to be a good addition for them.

The Pies will be disappointed with their showing and it's not a good sign to have game in front of their major sponsor and perform so poorly.

Pies get their share of rest and more at home during the season proper when it matters.
So the game in the middle of no where where no one is interested was just to apease the Collingwood sponsors?

In terms of Adelaide, I really like the look of Knights and Porplyzia.
No chance of them finishing bottom 6 when you have guys like Goodwin, Edwards and McLeod in the side. Ricciuto though a great player is not as big a loss as people think as he hardly played last season.

DOG GOD
10-02-2008, 08:03 PM
The crows were quite impressive. The YOUNG midfield looked quick, and the use of Goodwin was interesting. Certainly a more free flowing attacking Crows from last year.
If their "kids" can come on, then they could suprise a few teams.

Fwd line to me could be the worry...will it be consistant enough.

Very impressed with Porplyzia and Knights.

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 09:03 PM
The crows were quite impressive. The YOUNG midfield looked quick, and the use of Goodwin was interesting. Certainly a more free flowing attacking Crows from last year.
If their "kids" can come on, then they could suprise a few teams.

Fwd line to me could be the worry...will it be consistant enough.

Very impressed with Porplyzia and Knights.

They do well out of their late draft picks dont they ?

Sockeye Salmon
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM
OK. So who wants to take back what they've written about them?

Go_Dogs
11-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Personally, I think I was pretty close to the mark SS. ;)

Except for the game plan part, that was surprising.

Mantis
11-02-2008, 11:28 AM

It is still 6 or so weeks away from the first game of the season proper so the result in Saturday night's game means very little.

The competition is so even that it wouldn't surprise me if they finished in the top 6, but with a run of bad luck they could just as easily finish in the bottom 4.

LostDoggy
11-02-2008, 01:31 PM

Not me.

Form in the NAB Cup is meaningless anyway. When it is the first game of the round played in Dubai, it is absolutely of no value.

Sockeye Salmon
11-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Not me.

Form in the NAB Cup is meaningless anyway. When it is the first game of the round played in Dubai, it is absolutely of no value.

What it does mean is that Adelaide are well advanced on Collingwood.

We will be meeting a team who will be well and truely up and running by round 1.

The Underdog
11-02-2008, 03:11 PM
What it does mean is that Adelaide are well advanced on Collingwood.

We will be meeting a team who will be well and truely up and running by round 1.

But who still have an unreliable forward line set-up and a young and unproven ruck division.
Solid backline though. Bock looked good on saturday night at CHB.
I still don't think they have the class and depth to be above about 6th. I'm not convinced of the 2nd tier of mids below the established guys like Goodwin et al.

Sockeye Salmon
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
But who still have an unreliable forward line set-up and a young and unproven ruck division.
Solid backline though. Bock looked good on saturday night at CHB.
I still don't think they have the class and depth to be above about 6th. I'm not convinced of the 2nd tier of mids below the established guys like Goodwin et al.

I expect them to start well and round 1 will be tougher than round 16.

Mantis
11-02-2008, 03:42 PM

Having not looked at there draw they are one team who might jump out of the blocks quite quickly, but probably will drop away as the season continues.

The Underdog
11-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Or when we play them in Rd 22 as the AFL draw would have it. I'm sure the logic is there somewhere.

I agree, Craig will have them up and ready to go, fitness is usually a real strongpoint of theirs, but I'm not sure that'll be enough to beat the structural issues they have. I agree, especially with such young ruckmen that they'll be better earlier on in the season but some young large bodies may struggle to cope with a full season.

Sockeye Salmon
11-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Or when we play them in Rd 22 as the AFL draw would have it. I'm sure the logic is there somewhere.

I agree, Craig will have them up and ready to go, fitness is usually a real strongpoint of theirs, but I'm not sure that'll be enough to beat the structural issues they have. I agree, especially with such young ruckmen that they'll be better earlier on in the season but some young large bodies may struggle to cope with a full season.

That's what I was trying to say.

LostDoggy
11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Not sure if its been mentioned yet, cant be bother sifting through pages among pages but Porpliza (sp) looked the goods on Friday night, especially his first quarter. Good by foot, strong over the ball. Actually the skills of that whole match really surprised me considering it was the first match of the season.

DOG GOD
11-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Not sure if its been mentioned yet, cant be bother sifting through pages among pages but Porpliza (sp) looked the goods on Friday night, especially his first quarter. Good by foot, strong over the ball. Actually the skills of that whole match really surprised me considering it was the first match of the season.

Yeah Borgy, Porplyzia looked awesome in that 1st qtr. All reports are that he has his fitness levels up and is looking at midfield time. He certainly has the body to match it, just whether or not he has the engine to be consistant.

LostDoggy
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I read absolutely nothing into a game where one team was decimated with gastro and the other team so inspiring of bileful hatred I couldn't even see who was playing, the red mist so clouding my vision. Or was that the swirling desert sand.

(Before anyone jumps on me for the sand comment, I actually love the Middle East. My family lived in Oman for a couple of years when my parents' work took us there and I still have an aunt who works as a nurse over in Saudi.)

Collingwood and Adelaide. Why would anyone have even bothered turning the TV on. I feel dirty just typing their names.

Mantis
11-02-2008, 09:53 PM

And who was the brainiac who just drafted him in XBox's fantasy footy comp? That bloke has a great eye for talent.;)

LostDoggy
11-02-2008, 09:58 PM
And who was the brainiac who just drafted him in XBox's fantasy footy comp? That bloke has a great eye for talent.;)

Yeah he's a dog haha.

I was close to selecting him aswell but decided against it at the last minute. Ohh well, good luck with him. I have the flag in the bag anyway ;)

LostDoggy
13-02-2008, 04:50 PM
I think it will be a repeat of '07 they will start off strong and then taper off, fighting to get into the 8 at the end of the year. 8th or 9th.