PDA

View Full Version : Scott Clayton

GVGjr
13-11-2017, 11:24 PM
There is a fair bit of speculation that Scott Clayton is on his way out as List Manager of the Suns replaced by Craig Cameron. Clayton has apparently been linked to the Saints.

He has a reputation of being very good with managing player contracts and I think there is enough evidence to suggest he's struggled attracting the right players to clubs in the recruiting component of his job.

I think his biggest weakness with us was his inability to project the playing list requirements when we were leading into a couple of years of father son selections and compromised drafts with the new teams coming on board.

This is a problem that followed him at the Suns where he was given a plethora of early picks over the years and once again he struggled to bring the right players into the fledgling club.

I wonder if he is seen as a direct replacement for Bains for the Saints?

Go_Dogs
14-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Read the article this morning.

Have a feeling he may end up at the AFL in some capacity, although perhaps the Saints have appeal. Looks like he will struggle to get another role as a recruiter but has enough experience to step into an administration role.

bornadog
14-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Have a feeling he may end up at the AFL in some capacity, although perhaps the Saints have appeal. Looks like he will struggle to get another role as a recruiter but has enough experience to step into an administration role.

He hasn't been recruiting for a number of years now, he has been the list manager at GC.

Cyberdoggie
14-11-2017, 12:24 PM
I think if you can't find the right picks with what GC had then it's clear he won't get another job in recruiting talent.

There was also the inability to find a decent tall while he was at the dogs.

bulldogtragic
14-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Every person in the industry has an expiry date. I think he's reached his expiry date.

bornadog
14-11-2017, 12:29 PM
I think if you can't find the right picks with what GC had then it's clear he won't get another job in recruiting talent.

There was also the inability to find a decent tall while he was at the dogs.

Minson, Brian Lake, Roughead

Greystache
14-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Minson, Brian Lake, Roughead

One star tall in 10 years with a mountain of early picks. A truly horrendous performance that easily have been matched by anyone who follows the draft predictor online.

He's done remarkably well to last as long as he did in the AFL industry. It's not only his absolute ineptitude in picking talls, his obsession with skinny outside runners, and ambivalence to competitiveness and character were also bizarre.

bornadog
14-11-2017, 01:07 PM
One star tall in 10 years with a mountain of early picks. A truly horrendous performance that easily have been matched by anyone who follows the draft predictor online.

He's done remarkably well to last as long as he did in the AFL industry. It's not only his absolute ineptitude in picking talls, his obsession with skinny outside runners, and ambivalence to competitiveness and character were also bizarre.

Yep heard it all before

Greystache
14-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Yep heard it all before

So why point out 2 plodders and one star as some sort proof that people are wrong? :confused:

bornadog
14-11-2017, 02:08 PM
So why point out 2 plodders and one star as some sort proof that people are wrong? :confused:

Your opinion.

I was responding to: There was also the inability to find a decent tall while he was at the dogs.

Greystache
14-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Your opinion.

I was responding to: There was also the inability to find a decent tall while he was at the dogs.

I see, you were laboring a technically while we were clearly talking generalities. There's 5 minutes wasted I'll never get back.

bornadog
14-11-2017, 02:21 PM
I see, you were laboring a technically while we were clearly talking generalities. There's 5 minutes wasted I'll never get back.

me too :D

The Bulldogs Bite
14-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Amazing that this bloke has had a job for so long.

Surely he has to be the worst recruiter of all time?

Twodogs
14-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Amazing that this bloke has had a job for so long.

Surely he has to be the worst recruiter of all time?

But for those 3 Brisbane premierships nobody would have heard of him. And that list was essentially 2 lists distilled into 1 with a bunch of early picks and list concessions stirred in and combined.

Jeanette54
14-11-2017, 07:13 PM

So what you are saying is, "Them that can't do, administrate".

Remi Moses
14-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Thin outside soft type , thin outside soft type , thin outside soft type .
Bit of a familiar pattern

GVGjr
14-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Whilst there is always an argument on the players Clayton selected in whatever roles he has had the real concern is that he didn't make a better go of it with his opportunities he had with the Suns. A list manager is an architect that charts out and projects the shape of the list over the next few seasons. I don't see how anyone can really defend his position in this area because he didn't go close to getting an even acceptable result. Some of the more hard to defend selections the Suns made might very well have been forced on him but he had numerous opportunities and missed on too many of them.

I don't think he should be lost to football but he needs to branch out into something else. He still has something to offer AFL clubs but I would be surprised if he was given another long term list management gig.

Twodogs
15-11-2017, 01:05 AM
Let's face it the Suns are a retirement home for players close to the end of their career and a shopfront to warehouse young players at. It stops about 30 kids from going off to another professional sport and gives them somewhere to play while they wait their turn to get shipped off to a proper club.

GWS are the same hing.