Eastdog
18-11-2017, 10:42 PM
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-17/aflx-revealed-who-your-club-plays-and-when

AFLX revealed: Who your club plays and when
Nat Edwards
November 17, 2017 4:00 PM

AFL 2017 Round 06 - Essendon v Melbourne
Melbourne and Essendon will be among six teams facing off at Etihad Stadium
AFLX, the League's high-octane version of the sport, will debut on February 15 next year with the AFL including traditional soccer and rugby venues among the venues for three separate round-robin tournaments.

The modified game will be played in three cities across three nights, with six AFL clubs represented in each competition.

AFL.com.au can exclusively reveal that Adelaide will host the first round-robin at Hindmarsh Stadium on a Thursday night, the week before the JLT Community Series begins.

The Crows and Port Adelaide will be joined by Collingwood, West Coast, Fremantle and Geelong in the first ever AFLX tournament.

The fast-paced game will then head to Melbourne's Etihad Stadium on February 16, where the Demons, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton, Hawthorn and Essendon will compete under Friday night lights.

The action then heads north to Allianz Stadium in Sydney on Saturday, February 17 when the Swans, Greater Western Sydney, the Brisbane Lions, Western Bulldogs, Richmond and Gold Coast will face off.

AFLX pre-season fixture

Pool A, Hindmarsh Stadium, Thursday February 15
Adelaide, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide, West Coast

Pool B, Etihad Stadium, Friday February 16
Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda

Pool C, Allianz Stadium, Saturday February 17
Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, Richmond, Sydney, Western Bulldogs

AFLX was trialled by North Melbourne during last year's pre-season, while VFL clubs Port Melbourne and Coburg have also experienced the shortened format.

AFL general manager of game development Andrew Dillon said AFLX was an exciting alternative that could be used to take the game overseas.

"AFLX has been created to provide us with the options to play a form of the game in places where oval grounds are limited and to showcase our game internationally at a point in the future," Dillon said.

"Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide have each been chosen to host the individual tournaments with six clubs playing against each other in a round-robin format.

"The decision to hold three individual tournaments during the men's 2018 pre-season period has been chosen to introduce clubs, their players, their fans and the wider public to the AFLX game,” he said.

All 18 AFL clubs were provided with an AFLX document on Friday afternoon, which outlines the fixture and format of the tournament.

Clubs are yet to be shown a detailed brief of all the rules, but will be informed in due course.

Each AFLX tournament will consist of six teams, divided into two pools of three.

Teams in the same pool will play against each other once, with the top team from each pool facing off in a Grand Final.

Games will consist of two 10-minute halves with a two-minute break at half-time.

AFLX will be played on a rectangular field with dimensions similar to that of a soccer field, with 10 players per team.

It is a seven-a-side format with three players on the bench and there is no limit to rotations.

In order to create a fast and free-flowing game, the last touch out-of-bounds rule has been introduced, while the ball will be kicked in after all scores.

To promote high scoring, the League has also introduced a 10-point super goal for majors kicked from outside the 40m arcs.

Two field umpires will adjudicate the shorter format, while two boundary umpires and two goal umpires will also be required.

Twodogs
18-11-2017, 11:41 PM
Is this the game we used to play Westdog54? It'd look a lot better with competent footballers playing.

bornadog
18-11-2017, 11:54 PM
The game is played on a rectangular soccer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer)-sized pitch, allowing matches to be hosted by stadiums that usually lack the suitable field dimensions for Australian rules football.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFLX#cite_note-AFLX1-1) Other rules unique to AFLX are:[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFLX#cite_note-AFLX1-1)[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFLX#cite_note-AFLX2-2)

Games consist of two 10-minute halves with a two-minute break at half-time
Played on a rectangular field with dimensions similar to that of a soccer field
Seven-a-side format with three players on the bench and no limit to rotations
Last touch out-of-bounds rule introduced (team that had last touch loses possession)
The ball is kicked in from full-back (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football_positions) after all scores
10-point super goals are registered for goals kicked from outside the 40m arc
No marks paid for backwards kicks (except for kicks/marks inside the 40m arc)
Free shot from inside the 40m arc to the opposite team in the event of a rushed behind (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rushed_behind)

jazzadogs
19-11-2017, 01:30 AM
The game is played on a rectangular soccer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer)-sized pitch, allowing matches to be hosted by stadiums that usually lack the suitable field dimensions for Australian rules football.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFLX#cite_note-AFLX1-1) Other rules unique to AFLX are:[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFLX#cite_note-AFLX1-1)[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFLX#cite_note-AFLX2-2)

Last touch out-of-bounds rule introduced (team that had last touch loses possession)
The ball is kicked in from full-back (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football_positions) after all scores
Free shot from inside the 40m arc to the opposite team in the event of a rushed behind (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rushed_behind)

I love everything to do with the Bulldogs but I will be boycotting this attempt by the AFL to spread even further, and in turn diminishing the AFLW matches that will be happening at the same time.

Twodogs
19-11-2017, 03:10 AM

Yep, that's fairly similiar to the game that WD54 (and Rocco Jones, MJP, Cyberdoggie, Firstdogonthemoon and some others used to play. Except if the ball touched the ground it was a turnover to the opposite team and you could only kick goals from a set shot.

westdog54
19-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Yep, that's fairly similiar to the game that WD54 (and Rocco Jones, MJP, Cyberdoggie, Firstdogonthemoon and some others used to play. Except if the ball touched the ground it was a turnover to the opposite team and you could only kick goals from a set shot.

And you can tackle in this version.

Twodogs
19-11-2017, 09:55 AM
And you can tackle in this version.

I got tackled in our version. A huge airforce guy forgot what game he was playing and ragdolled me. He remembered at about the time he was swinging me above his head and as he threw me into the ground (thankfully a little more gently than he had intended) yelled "oh shit, sorry mate I forgot"

bornadog
19-11-2017, 12:39 PM
WTF are the AFL bothering with this rubbish.

KT31
19-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Rather we didn't play, all I can see is players getting injured.

westdog54
19-11-2017, 01:05 PM

It's a good example of the old saying: "just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should".

The AfL think that because Rugby has Sevens and Cricket has T20, then they need an abridged version of our game.

Never mind that the other two are on the same sized field and didn't need a radical re-write of the rules or scoring system.

Twodogs
19-11-2017, 02:10 PM

Kids. Every teenager I have spoken to about AFLX is unbelievably excited about it.

divvydan
19-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Additionally, with there only being 2 proper preseason games, this format will mostly be played by the fringe players or draftees to get them a bit more game time and maybe earn a place in the preseason games themselves.

comrade
19-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Can we just play a 1 man team and let Suckers take on all comers?

Eastdog
20-11-2017, 01:00 AM
Rather we didn't play, all I can see is players getting injured.

Yeah that's the obviously concern. Something we want to try and change as we have had really bad luck with injuries in recent years and things like AFLX certainly increase the chance. I'm happy none of our players played in the International Rules series.

Eastdog
20-11-2017, 01:05 AM

What was your game called?

Twodogs
20-11-2017, 01:53 AM
What was your game called?

Ummmm, yeah that's a good question. We just called it touch footy but it had a proper name.

Westdog54 might remember.

bulldogtragic
20-11-2017, 02:53 AM
So there's no scope for an exhibition match or SOO (which the huge majority of players want), which is fine, because it 'means little', top players will 'get injured' and clubs won't risk their premiership season campaign and any of their players getting LTI injuries... But this shit is forced onto clubs with the risks above.

If members and fans turn their backs and kill the financial viability or reward of the concept, hopefully we can kill it ASAP. Just when you think the AFEL aren't completely drunk on their own self importance, morally devoid to compete against the AFLW and happy to risk clubs all to turn an extra buck to give themselves even bigger bonuses, they take it up a notch.

The sporting calendar has always worked in my lifetime. Cricket short form, (Hopman Cup, Brisbane & Sydney International, Kooyong) Aust Open tennis, Footy/Rugby preseason, Footy/Rugby Season, Bathurst, Spring Carnival, Cricket Tests - And more recently the A League and AFLW working in with it. Every one gets a bite of the cherry. Everyone works together, and in return they get a turn in the line light and the fans get diversity. Running shotgun over a success system of collaborative efforts between codes and sports is beyond arrogance and pisses on every other sporting management group that gave the AFEL their chance to grow unfettered by encroaching into footy season. I think it's disrespectful to fans and the clubs who have the actual exposure if shit gies sideways, that is player injuries. If the AFEL was a human being, say I met socially, I'd struggle not to punch it in the face and kick it in the arse akin to Satanta O'Hailpin on Cameron Cloke.

Dear Jamie Packer, Andrew Forrest or even Rupert Murdoch. We might just be ready for a super league to take our game away from the AFEL, work well with other sports, stop mindless rule tampering year after year that's ruining the game, stop punishing venue deals still in place, manipulating everything from the fixture to Rising Star winners or even tribunal results, and return the game back to the working folks who aren't placated with a $2 pie as compensation for the AFEL mismanagement. Ch9 & Ch10 would love to get in on footy broadcasting again. I'm sure there's clubs out there sick of it too, there's an opportunity for someone to come in and strike and make a lot of money. Man I'd love to just see the rumblings of thus happening to remind the AFEL they're meant to be custodians of our game, of our traditions and not solely a profit centre to give out to themselves huge wages, huge bonuses, get drunk on self importance bullshit and rooting the young secretaries. So to the AFEL, in the immortal words of Ugly Kid Joe, 'I hate everything about you'.

Eastdog
20-11-2017, 03:02 AM
Ummmm, yeah that's a good question. We just called it touch footy but it had a proper name.

Cyberdoggie called it touch footy.

From this thread #25

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?10326-Profile-of-WOOFERS/page2

soupman
20-11-2017, 05:37 AM
Unpopular opinion but i don't mind the sound of it. I'm mot exagtly excited by it but i can understand the AFL being keen to catch up with the growing trend of sports offering a smaller version (fast 5 netball, 20/20, rugby 7s etc). It allows the sport to be played overseas more easily and may or may not be fun.

It isnt as if it will replace their core product, like 20/20 has with cricket.

westdog54
20-11-2017, 04:15 PM

The old version was called RecFooty (Recreational Football) and was 8 a side.

The more recent version is called AFL 9s. They've added a player to each team and relaxed the zoning/offside rule.

Twodogs
20-11-2017, 04:24 PM
The old version was called RecFooty (Recreational Football) and was 8 a side.

The more recent version is called AFL 9s. They've added a player to each team and relaxed the zoning/offside rule.

Did we have 3 back, 3 forward and two in the middle?

westdog54
20-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Did we have 3 back, 3 forward and two in the middle?

Yep.

There is now 3-3-3, but once the ball is cleared from the ballup anyone can move anywhere.

jazzadogs
20-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Unpopular opinion but i don't mind the sound of it. I'm mot exagtly excited by it but i can understand the AFL being keen to catch up with the growing trend of sports offering a smaller version (fast 5 netball, 20/20, rugby 7s etc). It allows the sport to be played overseas more easily and may or may not be fun.

It isnt as if it will replace their core product, like 20/20 has with cricket.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved playing 9s while in Europe and it is a great way to spread our game to an international community. It allows for smaller fields and smaller participation numbers, both of which are major problems over here.

But why exactly they needed to create the new product of AFLX and put it smack bang in the middle of the AFLW is beyond me. IMO the rule changes cheapen it, as my experience says once you get someone involved they love the game for what it is. 9s is an exciting and fast paced game on its own.

I'll be putting my energy and attention towards the women's games.

Side note, if anyone does love the idea of AFL expansion and wants to live in London, AFL Europe are advertising positions at the moment.

westdog54
20-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have loved playing 9s while in Europe and it is a great way to spread our game to an international community. It allows for smaller fields and smaller participation numbers, both of which are major problems over here.

But why exactly they needed to create the new product of AFLX and put it smack bang in the middle of the AFLW is beyond me. IMO the rule changes cheapen it, as my experience says once you get someone involved they love the game for what it is. 9s is an exciting and fast paced game on its own.

I'll be putting my energy and attention towards the women's games.

Side note, if anyone does love the idea of AFL expansion and wants to live in London, AFL Europe are advertising positions at the moment.

I would have jumped at that 10 years ago... alas.

Realistically. They could have probably achieved the same thing with 10 a side on a standard (possibly narrowed) forks and having 10 minute halves.

Twodogs
20-11-2017, 11:39 PM
I have no idea why they have made the playing area so dramatically smaller. If anything makes our game different it's the size of the arena it's played on. I can understand all the practical reasons for having a smaller playing field but I would dispute it had to be made that much smaller. It just removes the main Point of difference our game has to offer (a lot of the skills of the game just won't be able to be carried out on a smaller field) and just makes this a crappier version of rugby 7s.

If we had to have AFLX I would have liked to see it played in the bye weekend before the finals started and played between the clubs that didn't make the eight. Make it worth something, winners get 500k or an extra draft pick or something really worthwhile. It's disappointing the AFL have just used it to strangle another competitor of oxygen-I bet the weekend it's on is the same as the Oz open final or the Grand Prix or most likely the A-league grand final. And I would have liked the AFL to really change up the rules. Any player to take the kick from a free kick like in soccer (I've always wanted this in the main game) and that sort of thing. With this they've not made enough changes I reckon.

boydogs
21-11-2017, 01:42 AM
It's going to be VFL players going at it early in the preseason, not a separate comp. Preseason has always been a bit gimmicky

divvydan
21-11-2017, 02:08 AM
All that's happened is that they've taken away the first week of the JLT Cup or whatever it is and made it a separate event known as AFL X.

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 08:33 PM
Is the AFLX competition holding any interest for people at the moment?

There are a whole variety of rules different to the normal game including that it will be play on if you kick backwards to a teammate even if he holds the mark except in the forward 40mtr arc. The team that last touches the abll as it goes out of bounds hands over possession. There are super goals as well

7 players on the field and 3 on the bench with unlimited inter changes, 2 x 10 minute halves played on a more or less soccer sized field field.

It will be interesting to see how team set-up for this and if teams will go tall or small.

chef
11-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Hopefully we only use our fringe players.

A serious injury in this joke comp would give me the shits big time.

boydogs
11-02-2018, 09:41 PM
It will be interesting to see how team set-up for this and if teams will go tall or small.

One tall each end of the field I think. Small rucks

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 10:08 PM
One tall each end of the field I think. Small rucks

Apparently North have tried Goldy and Preuss on the ground at the same time. They could throw Brown forward and really stretch teams

Hotdog60
11-02-2018, 11:16 PM
Don't really care about this. I'll watch only the Dogs games and that will be it.

jazzadogs
11-02-2018, 11:20 PM
When I've played 9s on a soccer pitch it is a massive advantage to have a tall to kick it too, but if North play with Brown, preuss and goldy they'll get cut up. The key is speed and agility. It's a small space and they won't be kicking to contests. 15m passes until someone gets a shot for 10 points from 40m, and you have one key forward as a bailout.

As much as the whole gimmick is a joke, the ideal team for me would be something like
FF: Ben Brown (over Daniher for accuracy)
HF: Wingard/Greene/Rioli (basically a quick high pressure forward. No Menzel or Stringer types)
Mids: Merrett (great skills), Kelly (run run run), Danger (he's Danger)
HB: elite skills are the most important trait here - playing on a soccer pitch you can get it straight to your tall forward in one kick. Shaw is a headcase but would be a good fit.
FB: any of Hurley/McGovern/Rance

bornadog
11-02-2018, 11:24 PM
No interest in this what so ever.

Eastdog
11-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Might have a look when the Dogs are playing but otherwise bring on the regular pre season AFL games.

Twodogs
11-02-2018, 11:40 PM
I love all sports. I will give this a chance,

GVGjr
12-02-2018, 12:52 AM
When I've played 9s on a soccer pitch it is a massive advantage to have a tall to kick it too, but if North play with Brown, preuss and goldy they'll get cut up. The key is speed and agility. It's a small space and they won't be kicking to contests. 15m passes until someone gets a shot for 10 points from 40m, and you have one key forward as a bailout.

As much as the whole gimmick is a joke, the ideal team for me would be something like
FF: Ben Brown (over Daniher for accuracy)
HF: Wingard/Greene/Rioli (basically a quick high pressure forward. No Menzel or Stringer types)
Mids: Merrett (great skills), Kelly (run run run), Danger (he's Danger)
HB: elite skills are the most important trait here - playing on a soccer pitch you can get it straight to your tall forward in one kick. Shaw is a headcase but would be a good fit.
FB: any of Hurley/McGovern/Rance

I think for us it will be something like

Backs: Adams and Crozier
Mids: JJ, Dale and Trengove
Forwards: Boyd and Dahlhaus
Int: Biggs, Suckling and Hunter

hujsh
12-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Hopefully we only use our fringe players.

A serious injury in this joke comp would give me the shits big time.

Wait...We're using our AFL team to play this shitheap game? I assumed there'd be AFLX specialists or something.

Axe Man
12-02-2018, 01:15 PM
X-factor: The players set to light up AFLX (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-12/xfactor-the-players-set-to-light-up-aflx)

Western Bulldogs

Brad Lynch: With the Bulldogs yet to establish who will take part in the series, the West Australian appears one player ideally suited to the format. The third-year rookie has explosive pace, elite agility, is a sound kick on both feet and loves to run and gun off half-back. Draftee Ed Richards possess similar attributes, and the defensive playmaker has had a sound pre-season, so the club may ease him into senior footy via the exhibition series. Livewire forward Luke Dahlhaus has a point to prove after an indifferent 2017 campaign, and the 25-year-old should be a natural in this form of the game.

Definite starters: TBA

Definite outs: Roarke Smith

comrade
12-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Let the kids like Richards, Lynch, Lipinski, English etc and fringe types like Gowers, Roberts, Suckling etc run around.

No blue chip best 18 types allowed.

jazzadogs
12-02-2018, 01:33 PM
My ideal Bulldogs side (not caring about winning, protecting our best players) would be:
Def: Collins, Richards
Mid: Dale, Webb, Crozier
Fwd: Redpath, Greene
Int: Lynch, Lipinski, ???

comrade
12-02-2018, 01:49 PM
My ideal Bulldogs side (not caring about winning, protecting our best players) would be:
Def: Collins, Richards
Mid: Dale, Webb, Crozier
Fwd: Redpath, Greene
Int: Lynch, Lipinski, ???

Suckling for the last spot. This type of thing is made for him.

bornadog
12-02-2018, 02:34 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFLX-Rules-Infographic-912px.jpg

mjp
12-02-2018, 03:22 PM
I don't get all the negativity...it looks like a lot of fun.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Would be ridiculous to use any best 22 players in this, but I would bet the AFL will have pressured clubs to provide at least half of their 'squad' with best 22 talent.

Twodogs
12-02-2018, 04:05 PM

Mate. Where did you get the idea that footy is supposed to be fun?

I like the sound of this Brad Lynch kid with all the elite attributes. He certainly sounds better than the Brad Lynch we currently have.;)

jazzadogs
12-02-2018, 06:16 PM

I think the argument is more around the necessity of it, scheduling it in competition with the AFLW and using funds from the AFLW budget. I don't argue that it will be an entertaining product.

Testekill
12-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Would be ridiculous to use any best 22 players in this, but I would bet the AFL will have pressured clubs to provide at least half of their 'squad' with best 22 talent.

Only reason why I can understand players like Fyfe & Robbie Gray being wasted on it.

Flamethrower
12-02-2018, 07:54 PM
I expect teams like St Kilda, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Carlton, Fremantle and Melbourne to play full strength teams - it will be their best chance at a Grand Final in the foreseeable future.

Twodogs
12-02-2018, 08:16 PM
I expect teams like St Kilda, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Carlton, Fremantle and Melbourne to play full strength teams - it will be their best chance at a Grand Final in the foreseeable future.

Yup.

Eastdog
12-02-2018, 08:34 PM

No injuries please!

Sedat
12-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Agreed. Any footy that has greatly reduced congestion/stoppages, coupled with one-on-one positional play, is well worth the experiment. I'll bet the players will really enjoy the freedom of being able to play the game with an attacking mindset without being swamped by 30 players within a 10m radius of the ball.

mjp
13-02-2018, 12:42 AM
Only reason why I can understand players like Fyfe & Robbie Gray being wasted on it.

The other reason is that they want to play because it will be FUN and playing an AFLX game sounds like an awesome alternative to another February training session.

Half of training at this time of year is small sided games on reduced size fields...smashing into opposition players sure beats the hell out of going toe to toe with team-mates for the 4th month in a row. This is a good idea...the only bad part is that it hasn’t completely replaced the regular pre-season games (which are a monumental waste of time).

SonofScray
13-02-2018, 09:57 AM
I hate the idea. Don't really want to give it my time and $.
But the AFL has me by the balls, I am going to watch and follow my Club, which they will claim as an affirmation of the model.

Sedat
13-02-2018, 10:46 AM
I hate the idea. Don't really want to give it my time and $.
But the AFL has me by the balls, I am going to watch and follow my Club, which they will claim as an affirmation of the model.
I had a similar mindset when it was first mooted, but I really despise the pre-season comp and its watered down version of the season proper that nobody took seriously. This is a point of difference from the season and it might morph into something meaningful on its own in much the same way as T20 has done for cricket. And the way it has been set up will provide the players with an outlet to be attacking and actually remain in their positions rather than all converge around the ball as they do in the normal season. It might die off quickly but it's worth giving it a crack IMO.

soupman
13-02-2018, 02:06 PM
I'm open to it. It could be quite fun, and the idea of using rectangular pitches and small teams mean it has great potential both internationally and simply as a more social version of footy (like weeknight mixed netball or futsal).

mjp
13-02-2018, 03:05 PM
...competition with the AFLW and using funds from the AFLW budget...

Missed this yesterday. The AFLW budget? Tell me where that has come from again? What is good for the AFL is good for the AFLW and the more people who watch aflx and get out of summer sport mode the better the ratings for AFLW in coming weeks.

Greystache
13-02-2018, 03:48 PM
I think the argument is more around the necessity of it, scheduling it in competition with the AFLW and using funds from the AFLW budget. I don't argue that it will be an entertaining product.

Perhaps the AFL is trying to increase the funds coming in from the preseason competition to support them in providing AFLW a budget?

Topdog
13-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Why do they have an arc for a field that is a rectangle?

Mantis
13-02-2018, 04:29 PM

To measure the 40m line... How else would you do it?

Twodogs
13-02-2018, 04:29 PM

You've gotta have an arc. You can't play footy without an arc!

Twodogs
13-02-2018, 04:32 PM
Missed this yesterday. The AFLW budget? Tell me where that has come from again? What is good for the AFL is good for the AFLW and the more people who watch aflx and get out of summer sport mode the better the ratings for AFLW in coming weeks.

We should have got the band back together for the practice series. It won't be a problem flying over from Perh to play would it mate?

Actually, now that I think about it and knowing how much you just love playing footy... :D

jazzadogs
13-02-2018, 07:47 PM

It came from Peter Gordon, which I acknowledge is often a highly emotive and unreliable source.

If the league put more into promoting AFLW and charged a token $5-10 fee it would significantly change the feasibility without greatly affecting crowd numbers IMO.

As for AFLX as a way to spread the brand internationally...most of the competitions in Europe are run as 7 or 9 a side on rugby pitches. They have good participation amongst locals and utilise smaller spaces. The German league that I was part of had 10 teams spread throughout the country, and within the UK there are 5 or 6 leagues.

It's never going to be a game played professionally internationally, and I think there are better uses of AFL money - namely getting young women motivated and involved.

GVGjr
13-02-2018, 07:57 PM

It's so the media can keep talking about Buddy's natural arc with set shots :)

Does anyone think the super goals are good for the game?

mjp
13-02-2018, 08:05 PM
It came from Peter Gordon, which I acknowledge is often a highly emotive and unreliable source.

Um. No - I meant from WHERE did the AFLW budget come from? AFLX isn't using the AFLW 'budget' because they have both taken all of their $ from the AFL money pit.

AFLX isn't going to spread the game internationally - it is just a fun bit of fluff to do away from footy season...OR, a way for competitions in the later teenage years/lower amateur divisions to 'stay alive' when drop out rates hit. Guess what other teams struggle for numbers at u15's level? The girls competitions.

Let me tell you about my dream. It involves a competition based around a modified rules competition (with reduced numbers on field) and it allows all of those 15year old kids who drop out of footy because the 2x nights per week training plus half a day on the weekend is getting to be just 'too much' commitment. All of the games happen at the same venue every week so they KNOW where they will be playing (rather than driving for up to 40 minutes like happens in Perth these days with all of the junior zones 'merged' in the chase for talent).

Guess what else - there are 'real' divisions (just like basketball) and the games are short...you might lose by 10 goals but not 35 goals to 1. Guess what else? You don't really need 'coaches'...sure, a mum or dad is there to collect the match fees and hand out the jumpers (lol - t-shirts!) but that's it. Sure - the 'best' sides have coaches and they treat this competition as a glorified training session for the 'real' game on the weekend...but that's that.

There is stuff broken with our game at junior level and there needs to be innovative thinking to overcome it.

If the athletic factories (sorry - colleges!) in the US can spend as much time recruiting football players from 7 vs 7 leagues as they do from high school, and if futsal really is the key to success in soccer (as those guys from Brazil claim it is) then where is our 'small-sided game' solution. If you can rustle up 5 kids for a basketball game then you can surely find 7 for a game of AFLX.

I know this is being seen as a joke and a novelty but it could mean so much more than that. And the skills WILL translate. And yes, the emphasis on contested ball wont be there but the ability to run hard, read the play and execute by foot will be at a premium...sounds like JJ to me...and how good would a few more of those blokes be running out wearing the tricolour this year.

Twodogs
13-02-2018, 08:23 PM
You've sold me mate.

soupman
13-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Excellent post mjp. I've been pretty open minded about it as a concept, and like the thinking. Not sure I like the AFL's marketing of it, but I kind of get what they are trying to do.

Had a think about what a fully fit and available side for us could be and came up with the following:
Defence: JJ, Wood
Mids: Suckling, Bontempelli, Hunter
Forwards: Dale, Picken
Bench: Adams, Mclean, Crozier

Everybody is attacking and uses the ball well. Not very tall but everyone aside from Suckling and Hunter is good in the air. It's pacy, is flexible. Talls is the only place we would lose out, which is funny considering half our list are talls.

jazzadogs
13-02-2018, 11:37 PM
You've sold me mate.

You've got me too mjp...but a lot of that comes from the way the AFL has been marketing it. They're not saying it's going to be an alternative for juniors or a competitor to social weeknight netball - they're promoting it as a circus which will expand the brand internationally.

It's basically jazzed up AFL9s with a touch too much theatrics and rule changes (10 point Zooper goals, spare me) for anyone to take it seriously at this stage.

Also regarding under 15 girls struggling for numbers, I expect that to change significantly with the introduction of an elite level. 5 years ago if you were a 15yo female athlete, why would you stick with the sport that has no pathway or future? That has all changed and participation numbers will reflect it - even more so as the league becomes more financially independent and players are getting paid equitably.

GVGjr
13-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Excellent post mjp. I've been pretty open minded about it as a concept, and like the thinking. Not sure I like the AFL's marketing of it, but I kind of get what they are trying to do.

Had a think about what a fully fit and available side for us could be and came up with the following:
Defence: JJ, Wood
Mids: Suckling, Bontempelli, Hunter
Forwards: Dale, Picken
Bench: Adams, Mclean, Crozier

Everybody is attacking and uses the ball well. Not very tall but everyone aside from Suckling and Hunter is good in the air. It's pacy, is flexible. Talls is the only place we would lose out, which is funny considering half our list are talls.

It's a good side but it might be lacking a tall as you've already mentioned. I'm not sure that Picken is a good selection and if you are playing Bontempelli you might as well play Dahlhaus.

soupman
13-02-2018, 11:47 PM
It's a good side but it might be lacking a tall as you've already mentioned. I'm not sure that Picken is a good selection and if you are playing Bontempelli you might as well play Dahlhaus.
l
Picken is my tall forward as such. I was aiming for good attacking decision makers who are good in the air, Hunter beats Dahhaus for use and Picken does for aerial ability. Dahlhaus shocking 2017 with ball in hand has worked against him here unfortunately.

Twodogs
14-02-2018, 02:06 AM
You've got me too mjp...but a lot of that comes from the way the AFL has been marketing it. They're not saying it's going to be an alternative for juniors or a competitor to social weeknight netball - they're promoting it as a circus which will expand the brand internationally.

It's basically jazzed up AFL9s with a touch too much theatrics and rule changes (10 point Zooper goals, spare me) for anyone to take it seriously at this stage.

Also regarding under 15 girls struggling for numbers, I expect that to change significantly with the introduction of an elite level. 5 years ago if you were a 15yo female athlete, why would you stick with the sport that has no pathway or future? That has all changed and participation numbers will reflect it - even more so as the league becomes more financially independent and players are getting paid equitably.

So it'd be a bit like that night at Skinner reserve when David Rodan turned up and his girlfriend made him play (he was in between AFL contracts so he couldn't use the "club won't let me play, babe") line and get out of it. We didn't play in his game but he dominated.

westdog54
14-02-2018, 09:02 AM
You've sold me mate.
Ditto.

So it'd be a bit like that night at Skinner reserve when David Rodan turned up and his girlfriend made him play (he was in between AFL contracts so he couldn't use the "club won't let me play, babe") line and get out of it. We didn't play in his game but he dominated.

Whilst doing hardly any running I might add.

Twodogs
14-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Whilst doing hardly any running I might add.

He certainly knew the right spots to wander.

Testekill
14-02-2018, 12:47 PM
To measure the 40m line... How else would you do it?

A line?

westdog54
14-02-2018, 01:10 PM
A line?

Thats only 40 metres from goal right on the middle?

The only way to have a legit 40 metre line is with an arc.

bornadog
14-02-2018, 01:13 PM
How long is each quarter?

jeemak
14-02-2018, 02:32 PM

25% of the total game time.

Axe Man
14-02-2018, 02:43 PM

0 minutes.

There are x2 10 minute halves.

bornadog
14-02-2018, 03:47 PM
0 minutes.

There are x2 10 minute halves.

so a 20 minute game - is it worth it?

Axe Man
14-02-2018, 03:53 PM
so a 20 minute game - is it worth it?

It's meant to be pretty full on for running and they potentially have to play 3 games in quick succession (although they can change the team), so I think 20 minutes is ok.

It's a bit like rugby sevens and that only has 7 minute halves.

bornadog
14-02-2018, 04:08 PM
It's meant to be pretty full on for running and they potentially have to play 3 games in quick succession (although they can change the team), so I think 20 minutes is ok.

It's a bit like rugby sevens and that only has 7 minute halves.

My wife's two nieces played for Melbourne Rebels on the weekend in the Global Rugby 10's. They had two 15 minute halves.

Axe Man
14-02-2018, 04:12 PM
My wife's two nieces played for Melbourne Rebels on the weekend in the Global Rugby 10's. They had two 15 minute halves.

I'm guessing 10 players as opposed to 7 would slow the game up a bit? Rugby 7s is frenetic.

bornadog
14-02-2018, 04:15 PM
I'm guessing 10 players as opposed to 7 would slow the game up a bit? Rugby 7s is frenetic.

It was a bit slower. We only watched them on Foxtel as they were up in Brisbane. Not sure how the mens games were as I didn't watch any of it. I guess it was a bit faster than normal 15 a side.

Axe Man
14-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Rohan Smith to coach AFLX side (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-02-14/smith-to-coach-aflx-side)

Western Bulldogs Development Manager Rohan Smith will take the coaching reins this weekend when the Club travels to Sydney for the inaugural AFLX tournament, along with development coaches Jamie Maddox and Jordan Russell.

Smith, who played 300-games for the Bulldogs over a 16-year career and has fulfilled a variety of coaching roles at the Club since 2012, said he’s excited to have the opportunity to coach his own team.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to coach my own team for the first time, definitely.” he told westernbulldogs.com.au on Wednesday.

“When we came back from Christmas holidays Bev (coach Luke Beveridge) asked me if I wanted to do it, and I jumped at it. “ Smith said.

Speaking on the AFLX concept, Smith said he expects fans will embrace the tournament, but there’s also great scope for players to further develop their offensive and defensive games, particularly the ability to quickly switch between sets, and apply them to the season proper.

“It’s fast paced, high scoring, we’ll see a lot of long goals and some great offensive play, but we’ve got to make sure we play the game properly, the way we want to play AFL footy, both offensively and defensively and I think AFLX lends itself to that.

“It’s good learning for everyone, basically.”

The Bulldogs will announce their squad at 4pm today on westernbulldogs.com.au.

Axe Man
14-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Dogs’ AFLX squad named (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-02-14/dogs-aflx-squad-named)

The Western Bulldogs have named their 12-man AFLX squad ahead of the inaugural tournament in Sydney this weekend.

First year players Ed Richards, Billy Gowers, Callum Porter and Aaron Naughton will pull on the colours for the first time, while defender Roarke Smith is set to play his first game since rupturing his ACL during the 2017 JLT Community Series.

Jack Redpath and Lukas Webb will add experience to the squad and second-year men Lewis Young, Patrick Lipinski, Fergus Greene, Nathan Mullenger-McHugh and Tim English will see their first action of 2018.

The Dogs have been drawn in Pool C along with Brisbane, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, Richmond and Sydney, and will face the Swans at 4.38pm EDT on Saturday, 17 February.

Click here for rules, ticketing and broadcast information.

AFLX Squad
Saturday February 17, 2018

2 Lewis Young
19 Lukas Webb
20 Ed Richards
26 Billy Gowers
27 Patrick Lipinski
28 Callum Porter
30 Fergus Greene
33 Aaron Naughton
37 Roarke Smith
40 Nathan Mullenger-McHugh
43 Jack Redpath
44 Tim English

Axe Man
14-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Bit of a strange side, we've gone quite tall for this format of the game. Just about the youngest and least experienced team we could put out.

chef
14-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Great stuff. Glad we arent risking much in this joke comp.

LostDoggy
14-02-2018, 05:37 PM
It looks like we couldn't care less about AFLX, I can't say that I blame us, I'd be gutted if one of our better player got injured playing on the weekend.

bornadog
14-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Redpath to skipper AFLX side (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-02-14/redpath-to-skipper-aflx-side)

Jack Redpath will captain the Western Bulldogs’ AFLX team at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night.

Redpath, who has played 34 career games, is the most experienced player in the Bulldogs’ squad.

The 27-year-old, who was elevated to the Club’s leadership group in November, is a respected leader amongst his teammates.

Redpath is one of 12 players who will represent the Bulldogs in the maiden competition, with the next generation of Western Bulldogs showcasing their skills.

Of the Bulldogs’ AFLX squad, five players are yet to make their senior debut.
“I’m really excited to see some of the young guys come out and have their first experience of senior footy,” Redpath said.
“The opportunity to captain the side in any format is pretty cool.

“I’m just looking forward to getting out there.”
2017 draftees Aaron Naughton, Ed Richards and Callum Porter will pull on the red, white and blue for the first time along with Nathan Mullenger-McHugh and Fergus Greene

A group of other players, including Lukas Webb, Billy Gowers, Tim English, Roarke Smith, Lewis Young and Patrick Lipinski, have played only a handful of AFL games.

The AFLX format is designed to showcase football’s most exciting features at a fast pace.
Played on a rectangular field, each match will consist of two, 10-minute halves, with a two-minute break at half-time.

The Bulldogs will play Sydney and Richmond in Pool C.

bornadog
14-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Rohan Smith Coach

Axe Man
14-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Noticed that the other teams playing up in Sydney have named squads of 14 - 20 players whilst we have just gone with the 12.

soupman
14-02-2018, 06:09 PM
We have pretty much named the bottom 12 players on our list.

When Redpath and Webb are the only players adding "experience" to the squad (a whopping 53 games combined), you know they aren't exactly taking it seriously.

FWIW our next most experienced player named is Young with 7 games, then English and Smith with 2 a piece, Lipinski 1 and the rest none. Average games per player is just under 6.

The Underdog
14-02-2018, 06:15 PM
We have pretty much named the bottom 12 players on our list.

When Redpath and Webb are the only players adding "experience" to the squad (a whopping 53 games combined), you know they aren't exactly taking it seriously.

FWIW our next most experienced player named is Young with 7 games, then English and Smith with 2 a piece, Lipinski 1 and the rest none. Average games per player is just under 6.

We’re clearly tanking

Axe Man
14-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Jack Redpath thrilled to lead Western Bulldogs in AFLX — and he won’t be holding anything back (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/jack-redpath-thrilled-to-lead-western-bulldogs-in-aflx-and-he-wont-be-holding-anything-back/news-story/5a1cb7d378c9f870466cabac9180fe32)

JACK Redpath — captain.

If those words make you look twice, you’re not on your own. The man himself will agree with you.

Redpath’s is a football journey like few others. One of six kids from Kyneton who never knew his dad, quit school at 16 and was rookie-listed on his 21st birthday.

There’s been three knee reconstructions — the most recent costing him any chance of playing in the 2016 premiership — and only 34 senior matches in five years.

Last year’s comeback from knee surgery was soured by two suspensions, the latter a harsh three-week ban for striking GWS captain Phil Davis.

Yet everything you need to know about how Redpath is viewed at the Whitten Oval can be found in the fact that even after all that, the 27-year-old was last year signed to his first two-year contract and elevated to the leadership group.

Now comes the unlikely captaincy gong for the Dogs’ two AFLX games on Saturday night.

“My name was thrown up and I was happy to take it, of course. Any time you get to captain a group of AFL players you jump at the opportunity,” Redpath told the Herald Sun.

“‘Bevo’ (coach Luke Beveridge) told me in the leadership group meeting this week. It’s a nice feeling.

“I’m missing Round 1 (through suspension) so it’s another chance for me to one; be captain and two; keep building on the fitness. It’s obviously going to be pretty up and back, which is great for me because that’s what I need to work on — that reaction to turnover.”

The hulking 194cm 99kg forward said he wasn’t worried about the potential for injury playing the rapid version of the game.

“I’m rapt to play it. When people say it’s high-speed and there might be injuries, we train three nights a week, our intra clubs are full-on and we’ve been in Mooloolaba for two weeks and everything is full-on,” he said.

“You could get injured at any time and if you do it’s bad luck. But I never worry about it. I’m not scared to get injured. I think once you’ve had a few of them and perhaps now that I’m a little older, it’s just something that comes with the game.

“I also approach it differently. Some boys playing in it might be worried about where they sit, but for me it’s sweet. It’s another massive opportunity and if you go out there and play well it just shoots you into the year.”

In an industry where the elite are put on pedestals and feted, Redpath’s elevation to an AFL leadership group despite a career so-far lacking consistent on-field heroics can’t be undersold.

He is respected by teammates for his toughness, or as he says, “having a crack”.

“I used to be a carpenter and I always take it back to that. I worked on building sites with 40-year-old guys when I was 15 and then at 18 I was running parts of jobs on my own and dealing with older people,” he said.

“I feel my communication skills are pretty good and I’m a boy’s boy. I love getting around the boys; there’s 44 blokes in there and I’ve got a relationship with all of them.

“For me, it’s almost like getting a kick is at the lower end (of the priority list). It’s about relationships and helping the guys through things.

“I’m not gifted with all the talent in the world, but I feel like I’ve contributed when I’m out there.”

If the summer is any guide, Redpath will be out there more often this year. Noticeably slimmer after his first full pre-season in two years, he said the Dogs were poised to answer the critics in 2018.

He dismissed suggestions a premiership hangover derailed the club’s 2017 campaign, instead saying “a lot of stuff gets said that goes straight over your head”.

“You come back for pre-season and it’s honestly like nothing has happened before. Before you know it you’re in match play and guys are cracking it because they’ve missed a kick. It’s such a competitive environment,” Redpath said.

“It’s not about proving anyone wrong. It’s about getting back to how good we know we are. Last year wasn’t where we wanted to finish.

“This year obviously we want to play finals, but it all starts Round 1 and we build from there.

“This year just feels so fresh and our Mooloolaba camp was amazing. I don’t know if it’s because guys are a year older, everyone is better friends or the camaraderie is stronger in the group.

“I guess you say that every year, but it really feels good. It feels like we’re right on the right track and ready to go.”

comrade
14-02-2018, 07:31 PM
It’s the exact sort of squad I was hoping we’d pick, first time up.

Things may change over the coming years, but I see this format as a chance for kids and fringe types to show their stuff on a bigger stage than VFL.

I would have included Suckling because this format looks made for him.

GVGjr
14-02-2018, 08:08 PM
I think we could have added a couple of experienced guys like Honeychurch, Schache and Suckling assuming they are fit enough.

I've never been a fan of tanking but really this is a big 'Up Yours" to the AFL and the competition.

Happy Days
14-02-2018, 08:13 PM
Good job Dogs. Exactly the sort of squad we should have picked.

Smads57
14-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Yeh, I'm happy with squad. Lynch must be carrying an injury of some sorts as he should have been named also.

bornadog
14-02-2018, 10:50 PM
I think we could have added a couple of experienced guys like Honeychurch, Schache and Suckling assuming they are fit enough.

I've never been a fan of tanking but really this is a big 'Up Yours" to the AFL and the competition.

Games of AFL experience for the named AFLX squads

1052 NTH
955 STK
932 FREM
877 GEEL
848 PORT
786 ESS
774 SYD
752 HAW
748 COLL
709 BRIS
681 MELB
540 GCS
472 GWS
412 CARL
278 ADEL
261 RICH
91 WCE
65 WBD

jazzadogs
14-02-2018, 11:16 PM
That's because North and the Saints have no good kids.

GVGjr
14-02-2018, 11:33 PM
Redpath has missed more games through suspension than the others have played :)

Twodogs
15-02-2018, 12:21 AM
Redpath has missed more games through suspension than the others have played :)

Good stat. It makes him an interesting choice as captain "boys I may not play much but when I do I promise I will thump someone!"

Rohan Smith to coach AFLX side (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-02-14/smith-to-coach-aflx-side)

Western Bulldogs Development Manager Rohan Smith will take the coaching reins this weekend when the Club travels to Sydney for the inaugural AFLX tournament, along with development coaches Jamie Maddox and Jordan Russell.

Smith, who played 300-games for the Bulldogs over a 16-year career and has fulfilled a variety of coaching roles at the Club since 2012, said he’s excited to have the opportunity to coach his own team.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to coach my own team for the first time, definitely.” he told westernbulldogs.com.au on Wednesday.

“When we came back from Christmas holidays Bev (coach Luke Beveridge) asked me if I wanted to do it, and I jumped at it. “ Smith said.

Speaking on the AFLX concept, Smith said he expects fans will embrace the tournament, but there’s also great scope for players to further develop their offensive and defensive games, particularly the ability to quickly switch between sets, and apply them to the season proper.

“It’s fast paced, high scoring, we’ll see a lot of long goals and some great offensive play, but we’ve got to make sure we play the game properly, the way we want to play AFL footy, both offensively and defensively and I think AFLX lends itself to that.

“It’s good learning for everyone, basically.”

The Bulldogs will announce their squad at 4pm today on westernbulldogs.com.au.

Another thing that bubba can cross off his bucket list. Play a senior game for Footscray, check, play 300 games for the Bulldogs, check. I'm willing to bet that Rohan's bucket list involves football completely.

Throughandthrough
15-02-2018, 07:56 AM
I’m going to the AFLx in adelaide tonight with some port mates. Ticket only cost $10 and is on the other end of my tram line so will have some beers and be mildly interested for a few hours. Will be barracking for injuries and suspensions and whomever is playing the crows

Axe Man
15-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Games of AFL experience for the named AFLX squads

1052 NTH
955 STK
932 FREM
877 GEEL
848 PORT
786 ESS
774 SYD
752 HAW
748 COLL
709 BRIS
681 MELB
540 GCS
472 GWS
412 CARL
278 ADEL
261 RICH
91 WCE
65 WBD

Only naming 12 players in the squad compared to up to 20 in other squads doesn't make it a like for like comparison, an average would be better. No doubt we are incredibly inexperienced though.

bornadog
15-02-2018, 12:15 PM
Only naming 12 players in the squad compared to up to 20 in other squads doesn't make it a like for like comparison, an average would be better. No doubt we are incredibly inexperienced though.

I realise that, but just goes to show how inexperienced we are.

Rohan Smith said we are using the AFLX as a development tool - thank you.

Axe Man
15-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Bulldogs legend thrilled with his 'little baby' (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-15/bulldogs-legend-thrilled-with-his-little-baby)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs aren't buying into any negativity about AFLX, with the club viewing the new competition as a helpful conditioning tool for its younger players.

Like many other clubs, the Dogs have selected a youthful squad for the unique format, with a total of only 65 games of senior experience on display in Saturday's hit-outs in Sydney against the Swans and Brisbane.

They will unveil all three of the players they took in November's NAB AFL Draft, with first-round picks Aaron Naughton and Ed Richards and late selection Callum Porter all part of a side captained by Jack Redpath, who has only played 34 games in seven seasons at Whitten Oval.

Development manager Rohan Smith will make his debut as a senior coach, and the Bulldog great is enthusiastic about the opportunities for everyone involved in a series he believes has a future.

"We wanted to use (the competition) as a little bit of a development style, and we thought of it as learning for first- and second-year players in our squad," Smith said on Friday.

"We wanted to look at it as a positive, (and) we wanted to see our future stars playing. Hopefully some of these kids play 200-plus games for our footy club.

"It's a little bit of an unknown, the game style, but looking it, it's going to be exciting, and if you speak to the kids that are going to play, they're all excited.

"We wanted to give them a little bit of exposure, travelling, playing on TV, (senior) opposition and in front of a good crowd.

"I'm excited to look after my own team for the first time.

"We think of it as a positive, not a negative."

A defensive playmaker in 300 games in the red, white and blue, Smith says he'll employ an offensive game style for the abbreviated form of the game.

Senior coach Luke Beveridge has given his former teammate free rein for the competition, and Smith is looking forward to the challenge.

"Bevo has been really good, he's been a little bit relaxed and said this is my little baby and I can do whatever I want with it, so I've got a few tricks up my sleeve," he said.

"We're going to have an attacking style of play, but I think AFLX lends itself to the defensive side of the game as well.

"If (the players) can correlate that (balance) from the AFLX into their AFL game, it's going help them develop a little bit quicker."

And with Smith getting a taste for the coaches' box, the 44-year-old revealed he has ambitions to take charge of his own side on a full-time basis.

Smith spent time as the club's backline coach in recent years before transitioning into the development manager role at the start of 2017.

"We'll see how we go after the weekend (but) I'd love to coach my own team, but it's not something on the radar at the moment," he said.

"I just want to do my (regular) job properly at this point in time and see how we go."

jeemak
15-02-2018, 10:08 PM
It’s basically training but with more space.

I’m actually watching it and missing the congestion and the genius behind stoppage strategy and getting the ball into space.

There’s also no grid defence, obviously. Which is a shame, I love defensive set ups.

Anyone else think the game would have been extremely vanilla in the supposed glory days if the skills were as good as they are now?

SonofScray
15-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Watching it onand off tonight. No thanks.

Testekill
15-02-2018, 10:51 PM
Yeah this is dire. The skills in AFLW might not be a good standard but at least it's not boring to watch like this

MrMahatma
15-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Yeah this is dire. The skills in AFLW might not be a good standard but at least it's not boring to watch like this

Really?

Personally prefer X to W.

Testekill
15-02-2018, 11:18 PM
Really?

Personally prefer X to W.

The thing about attacking footy is that it's really interesting when teams have to work for it. Here the dial is turned to 11 attack and maybe 3 defense and thus all the goals being scored don't mean much when players are going coast to coast in two kicks.

Also the 'zooper' goals are nothing special because teams kick like a dozen of them a game in normal matches and they're not worth extra points so why bother here?

bornadog
16-02-2018, 12:02 AM

I watched a half and thought it was a bit boring.

Throughandthrough
16-02-2018, 12:38 AM
I was there

Left before the end

Hooray for beer

jeemak
16-02-2018, 12:40 AM
I was there

Left before the end

Hooray for beer

Shocking.........your avatar still mesmerises me.

SonofScray
16-02-2018, 09:20 AM
It's just blokes stringing one decent possession in a chain of two and then having a ping at goal from a relatively normal, direct goal kicking spot.

The elements of footy most of us bemoan the loss of are: positional play, attrition, one on one contests, high marking and big hits in open play.

This circus gave us very little of that, if not more of the same, dressed up in gaudy packaging.

Throughandthrough
16-02-2018, 01:27 PM
talking to an AFL player he's keen as its something different to do during pre-season

jazzadogs
16-02-2018, 02:21 PM
talking to an AFL player he's keen as its something different to do during pre-season

It's not REALLY different though. It would be almost identical to some of the keepings off games played during training sessions. The only addition is they have stupid rules and play against opposition.

Sedat
16-02-2018, 02:28 PM
It's gone from one extreme (rolling mauls, awful congestion, excessive stoppages, tackle-fests, low scoring) to the other (no defensive pressure, no contested possessions, no tackling, scoring far too easy). If they tidy up a few elements to prevent the game from resembling glorified circle work, it could be ok.

What the AFL needs to do is fix up the core product because it is broken if a Richmond 2017 style game plan is the new normal.

bornadog
16-02-2018, 02:56 PM
What the AFL needs to do is fix up the core product because it is broken if a Richmond 2017 style game plan is the new normal.

Sorry to repeat the same old thing, but no rule change will make the game look like you or anyone else wants it to look like.

The game just keeps evolving and evolving.

SonofScray
16-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Sorry to repeat the same old thing, but no rule change will make the game look like you or anyone else wants it to look like.

The game just keeps evolving and evolving.
Coaches need to be prepared to try something different. Tactics and development seems very much a case of follow the leader. Footy is an incredibly confected, homogeneous world.

comrade
16-02-2018, 04:04 PM
The silver footy has already been axed.

Axe Man
16-02-2018, 05:57 PM
https://s9.postimg.org/xrnnlthj3/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

jeemak
16-02-2018, 06:18 PM
How sick were the behind goal pyrotechnics?

Dry Rot
16-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Watching a bit of Saints v Bombers on delay. ****ing ordinary spectacle. Commentary even worse.

GVGjr
17-11-2018, 09:32 AM
So after a well thought out competition to appeal to those with short attention spans the AFL is now considering changing the AFLX competition to have it's version of the NBA All Stars.

Apparently some select players will choose their sides from the playing pool.

I see no sense in this and I hope we push back hard. I guess the AFL needs to justify the travel expense of the executives who head off to the US to find ways of messing with the game. We don't need this at all.

ledge
17-11-2018, 09:48 AM
I don’t know the point of this game at all.

Bulldog Joe
17-11-2018, 10:22 AM
I don’t know the point of this game at all.

It is hard to see the point, when there is no valid point.

The AFL are just trying to find someway to generate more dollars with no concern for the game.

They also are finding ways for the highly paid players to be paid more, with a cut for their own executives on the way through.

bulldogtragic
17-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Just say no.

If they want a rep side, the game type that works in Australia is State of Origin. If this is another genius idea from David Stevenson then I question why we hired him as CEO.

The Adelaide Connection
17-11-2018, 11:23 AM
The only interest for me was getting a first look at the recruits and younger players, but because the context was so different I quickly lost interest.

I’d sooner watch an AFL player state of origin cricket tri-series (stacks of blokes that were promising junior cricketers before they settled on the Sherrin). Actually, that is probably a great charity event in the making.

Twodogs
18-11-2018, 11:50 AM
The only interest for me was getting a first look at the recruits and younger players, but because the context was so different I quickly lost interest.

I’d sooner watch an AFL player state of origin cricket tri-series (stacks of blokes that were promising junior cricketers before they settled on the Sherrin). Actually, that is probably a great charity event in the making.

That's not a bad idea at all. It's much better than the stupid one the AFL has come up with here.

ledge
19-11-2018, 02:26 PM

We used to play the Storm players in a 20 over game at St.Albans fc every year under Rocket but Macca canned it , it was awesome , packed crowd , both sides players mingling in the crowd.

Hotdog60
26-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Not happy to see the 'Bont' named on the list. I would be really pissed if something put a dent in his season.

The Adelaide Connection
27-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Not happy to see the 'Bont' named on the list. I would be really pissed if something put a dent in his season.

Even worse is that, as VC, he is likely to have some pull when picking in the “live draft” and that would probably mean he suggests at least a few of our players.

Hotdog60
27-01-2019, 11:23 AM
If the AFL wants to push this crap pick kids that just missed the draft they would be enthusiastic to show their skills or recent ex players.
It could be its own comp.

GVGjr
27-01-2019, 12:59 PM
I don't know of too many people who want their players even in the comp.

I'd rather see a couple of practice games or even intra club games than AFL X

A poor idea from the start just got worse

bornadog
27-01-2019, 03:23 PM
I don't know of too many people who want their players even in the comp.

I'd rather see a couple of practice games or even intra club games than AFL X

A poor idea from the start just got worse

Also undermines AFLW and takes away budget dollars.

Rocket Science
27-01-2019, 04:45 PM
I'm trying to think of a more pointless concoction.

I can't.

Wait until a club loses a prime mover to a knee or some such fate playing this vapid, 'all-star' lite shit.

mjp
27-01-2019, 08:41 PM
I like AFL-X.

I have to admit to not really understanding the hate.

The game needs to change at junior level...something DRASTIC needs to be done. This is a great step in the right direction towards a game that still needs all of the skills BUT has lower level of contact and is less physically demanding.

Junior sport is over-run by creeping excellence with coaches starting training ever earlier, doing dedicated running sessions with 12 year olds...it is out of control. As for 15-17 year olds who are not on the talent pathway - they are just quitting 'cos it is TOO HARD. 2 nights a week training plus half of Saturday/Sunday? All of this in an environment when part time jobs are all 7-days per week and Fortnite is 24x hours per day. I have made this suggestion before - junior footy looks like this:

Night 1: Training
Night 2: AFL-X night
Weekend: 18/side game.

Some players will do 'both' AFL-X and 18/side...some might just choose to rock up on Thursday to play AFL-X.

Making the entry point lower and allowing participation to continue for players for whom 'playing footy' - be it AFL level, state level or even local level - is a good thing.

(I would also split the Ammos into 18/side comps and 9/side comps to allow clubs who don't want to battle it out for premierships in September (and meet the associated player payments) to chill out a bit, play 9-side (with the associated reduction in training requirements) and keep their clubs alive. Top 3-4 divisions is 'footy'. After that, it becomes a more relaxed AFL-X environment with lower commitment, less stress for umpires (they could easily do 2-3 games per day) and greater used of shared playing facilities.

The AFL has actually paid attention to what is happening in our communities and have tried to create a product to suit...it is a pretty good game. I understand that the silver footies and fireworks has everyone upset but you have to look past that and understand that a game with a higher possession rate (think futsal) will not only be an 'inclusive' game for juniors it will also assist in skill development.

Rant rant rant.

GVGjr
27-01-2019, 09:48 PM
I see no redeeming feature with AFL X. I gave it a chance last year and it fell well short of the mark and within a year the AFL has seen the need to reinvent it again.
I don't see it as anything other than a justification for some overseas jaunts but if it does resonate with the fans good luck to it.

As a competition to prepare for the season ahead I don't think it helps in the slightest.

bornadog
27-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Fine to have an AFLX type of series but not with elite AFL players, risks are high and the game is no preparation for the real stuff.

Twodogs
28-01-2019, 02:27 AM
I like AFL-X.

I have to admit to not really understanding the hate.

The game needs to change at junior level...something DRASTIC needs to be done. This is a great step in the right direction towards a game that still needs all of the skills BUT has lower level of contact and is less physically demanding.

Junior sport is over-run by creeping excellence with coaches starting training ever earlier, doing dedicated running sessions with 12 year olds...it is out of control. As for 15-17 year olds who are not on the talent pathway - they are just quitting 'cos it is TOO HARD. 2 nights a week training plus half of Saturday/Sunday? All of this in an environment when part time jobs are all 7-days per week and Fortnite is 24x hours per day. I have made this suggestion before - junior footy looks like this:

Night 1: Training
Night 2: AFL-X night
Weekend: 18/side game.

Some players will do 'both' AFL-X and 18/side...some might just choose to rock up on Thursday to play AFL-X.

Making the entry point lower and allowing participation to continue for players for whom 'playing footy' - be it AFL level, state level or even local level - is a good thing.

(I would also split the Ammos into 18/side comps and 9/side comps to allow clubs who don't want to battle it out for premierships in September (and meet the associated player payments) to chill out a bit, play 9-side (with the associated reduction in training requirements) and keep their clubs alive. Top 3-4 divisions is 'footy'. After that, it becomes a more relaxed AFL-X environment with lower commitment, less stress for umpires (they could easily do 2-3 games per day) and greater used of shared playing facilities.

The AFL has actually paid attention to what is happening in our communities and have tried to create a product to suit...it is a pretty good game. I understand that the silver footies and fireworks has everyone upset but you have to look past that and understand that a game with a higher possession rate (think futsal) will not only be an 'inclusive' game for juniors it will also assist in skill development.

Rant rant rant.

Then get kids to play it, not elite players. This is more about Gil having a legacy to leave behind than benefitting the competition.

westdog54
28-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Then get kids to play it, not elite players. This is more about Gil having a legacy to leave behind than benefitting the competition.

This.

AFL 9's became popular enough without AFL clubs supplying players to it. This is nothing more than a horrendous attempt at marketing the game to the rectangle field states.

I get the need for a lower impact, lower demand form of the game. I absolutely get it. But I don't see the need for what the AFL is trying to serve up to the masses during summer.

Rugby 7s have specialised players and it doesn't put a drain on 15 a side. Occasionally Wallaby players will put their hand up for Comm games or even Olympics, but that's it.

The Adelaide Connection
28-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Fine to have an AFLX type of series but not with elite AFL players, risks are high and the game is no preparation for the real stuff.

This is my beef too, but the reality is that they have moved to four “All Star” teams because most clubs played their kids last year and it likely didn’t have the same impact on their target demographic.

I would be much more comfortable supporting this instalment (knowing that it is about whipping up kids interest) if no Bulldogs were picked and if they didn’t make the women’s go head to head with it.

mjp
28-01-2019, 01:59 PM

That's fine. But without an example set somewhere, kids wont play. They just wont.

Again, I don't get the negativity. Everyone who says it doesn't apply to the game hasn't been to an AFL training session which is 'HEAVY' with small-sided games and has been for years...this just formalises and allows players to compete against opposition and not themselves.

I am interested that West Coast really treated last year's AFL-X as a learning chance for young, developing players and several of those (Ryan, Rioli) went on to play key roles in the premiership. Again, I don't understand the HATE. Playing 18-vs-18 pre-season games seems completely stupid to me - what is the point - but a lower contact version of the game against 'REAL' opposition...that makes sense.

AFL 9's? Sure...but the zone concept has been criticised as not applying to the game hence the AFL-X version being developed...

Why is it bad? Possession rates are high - so skills are challenged. Ball moves from end-to-end - so transition and team defence strategies are challenged. Turnovers are HEAVILY penalised. I would say that success in AFL-X against elite competition would be a better pointer to AFL success for a young player than playing well at state level...

I know I'm on an island with this, but we should be embracing this, not rejecting it.

chef
28-01-2019, 02:10 PM
If Bont does his knee how do we feel?

bornadog
28-01-2019, 02:44 PM

March to AFL house and burn it down :D

GVGjr
28-01-2019, 05:38 PM
This.

AFL 9's became popular enough without AFL clubs supplying players to it. This is nothing more than a horrendous attempt at marketing the game to the rectangle field states.

I get the need for a lower impact, lower demand form of the game. I absolutely get it. But I don't see the need for what the AFL is trying to serve up to the masses during summer.

Rugby 7s have specialised players and it doesn't put a drain on 15 a side. Occasionally Wallaby players will put their hand up for Comm games or even Olympics, but that's it.

No tackling, no bumping just a exhibition game that they can possibly play overseas.
I don't see what there is to get excited about with it.

mjp
28-01-2019, 07:31 PM

And that's fair - but he could (may the lord strike me down) get injured at training tomorrow.

Players play. Coaches coach. The rest of us watch.

Whatever the concerns, surely injury isn't really a major one? Tom Mitchell is out for the season because of an incident at club training...I would think the 'load' of an AFL-X fixture would be balanced out by a reduction in the training load for the week...

GVGjr
28-01-2019, 08:31 PM
And that's fair - but he could (may the lord strike me down) get injured at training tomorrow.

Whatever the concerns, surely injury isn't really a major one? Tom Mitchell is out for the season because of an incident at club training...I would think the 'load' of an AFL-X fixture would be balanced out by a reduction in the training load for the week...

I'm not too fussed about potential injuries in a non contact non tackling game and think its just an easy excuse to dismiss it.
I just don't understand why we are having a competition to potentially take a non contact game overseas. What is it showcasing?

Surely the Gaelic experiment is a better option.

chef
28-01-2019, 08:53 PM

Fair enough, i guess to me it seems like an unnecessary risk and surely it interrupts preseason preparation and planning(even if only slightly).

bornadog
28-01-2019, 09:15 PM
May as well play soccer instead of inventing a game.

Hotdog60
28-01-2019, 09:53 PM
As a spectator I just don't like it. I can see the appeal to the younger generation but I'm a traditionalist and I get annoyed at constant rule changes let alone introducing something that would turned out on American TV.
So for me I won't be viewing any more as I had enough of the one game I watch last season.
Each to their own I guess.

GVGjr
29-01-2019, 02:18 AM
Fair enough, i guess to me it seems like an unnecessary risk and surely it interrupts preseason preparation and planning(even if only slightly).

I went to a presentation by Clarkson years ago where he talked abiut the benefits of taking players through the Kakoda experience and he was comfortable with the substantially higher injury risk because of the overall benefits for his players.

We can't not push the players to be the best they can without increasing the risk.

AFL X has no tackling or bumps so there is less risk but I don't think comes with any benefit

soupman
29-01-2019, 02:44 PM
I definitely see your point MJP and think the game has merit, although I am sceptical of it as a spectator sport. A bit like other shorter versions of sports it has me wanting to watch the real thing instead, which I guess is half the point. Its value as a gateway drug to non-AFL people remains to be seen but i am in no position to judge that and can accept I am not necessarily the target market for it.

I think the biggest issue is the marketing. The game was guaranteed to be met with scepticism and be laughed at by supporters (I seem to remember T20 also suffering from this initially) and considering the average AFL fan automatically defaults to the time honoured conversation topic of "Why can't they just leave it alone" and the media love overreacting it was always going to be walking on eggshells until it took off. However as soon as they did that joke announcement with GIil standing awkwardly with jugglers and clowns and basically an entire circus and they announced "zooper goals" I think it just solidified in everyones brains (including mine) that it was not going to be anything more than a joke tournament. Using the clubs was also a mistake, with most of them treating it with disdain (none more than us, which is something I found disappointing).

Of course the players are going to be used to showcase the game, they are the AFLs most (and almost only) marketable product so trotting them out is the best way they can capture everyones attention. This years concept of a shortened tournament where you can be invested and interested in each time at the expense of no other is a much better idea, and for the most part has been setup pretty well.

Surely the Gaelic experiment is a better option.

God no. AFLX may be a compromised version of AFL, but atleast it isn't a mish mash of two sports to the detriment of both.

GVGjr
30-01-2019, 06:06 PM
God no. AFLX may be a compromised version of AFL, but atleast it isn't a mish mash of two sports to the detriment of both.

To me the Gaelic footy option is at least country vs country that has the players go hard at contests where as the AFLX is a showcased product that still doesn't represent the game that is played and will have players going through the motions while they're effectively on an overseas jaunt.

Rocket Science
05-02-2019, 12:29 AM
https://i.ibb.co/Mg4ynmD/IMG-7483.jpg (https://ibb.co/p1862Sv)

Well I suppose someone has to help stump up for whatever $$ inducements are being made to clubs and players to play weirdoball.

Gatorade, come on down.

GVGjr
05-02-2019, 08:35 AM
https://i.ibb.co/Mg4ynmD/IMG-7483.jpg (https://ibb.co/p1862Sv)

Well I suppose someone has to help stump up for whatever $$ inducements are being made to clubs and players to play weirdoball.

Gatorade, come on down.

I'll give the AFL credit for creating a very different game than what the traditional supporter follows.

Axe Man
05-02-2019, 09:56 AM
Will there be multi-ball? The game couldn't get any more ridiculous so just chuck in a few more balls for fun.

bornadog
05-02-2019, 12:28 PM
I'll give the AFL credit for creating a very different game than what the traditional supporter follows.

Wait till there is a major injury (fingers crossed none of our players), and then let's see what the AFL and clubs think about this ridiculous experiment.

GVGjr
05-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Wait till there is a major injury (fingers crossed none of our players), and then let's see what the AFL and clubs think about this ridiculous experiment.

I'd be surprised if clubs are on board with it but it's just a no contact training drill with flashy training vests. If players get injured I don't think the clubs will complain.

chef
05-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Maybe they could have celebrities playing and have everyone miked up.

Mofra
05-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Maybe they could have celebrities playing and have everyone miked up.
They can't even get celebrities on "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here"

Topdog
05-02-2019, 09:03 PM
I could try but i don't i could come up with a worse concept and implementation than aflx

Twodogs
06-02-2019, 08:26 PM
The farce gets worse. The draft was held last night and the results have been embargoed until today so we can pretend that it's all live. Why didn't they just broadcast it last night?

I didn't think that they could do something that would make this concept even sillier but I've gotta hand it to the AFL because they have. Shocking is an absolute genius.

Flamethrower
06-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Bont and Lachie Hunter on Fyfe's team. Easton also selected. No JJ or Suckers (for the Zooper goals) was a surprise.

Sedat
07-02-2019, 12:15 AM
Bont and Lachie Hunter on Fyfe's team. Easton also selected.
Damn. Was hoping that Sedat Sir and Zeno Tzatzaris would get picked up from the Dogs and nobody else.

Sedat
07-02-2019, 12:18 AM
Wait till there is a major injury
The only injury I'd hope for is Dangerfield to get severed vocal chords so we never have to listen to his horseshit ever again.

I could have sworn he was the same dickhead who complained only a few months ago about the season being too long, and now he's ponying up for this garbage. Amazing what a fistful of pineapples can do :rolleyes:

Doc26
07-02-2019, 12:22 AM
Bont and Lachie Hunter on Fyfe's team. Easton also selected. No JJ or Suckers (for the Zooper goals) was a surprise.

Only redeeming benefit might be for Marcus and Lachie to strike up a friendship with Nathan to encourage him join our midfield in 2020.

Dry Rot
07-02-2019, 01:46 PM
Suggestion that the Bont plays ruck for his team

FLYERS

Defender: Rory Laird
Defender: Alex Rance
Midfielder: Josh Kennedy
Wing: Stephen Coniglio
Wing: Scott Pendlebury
Ruck: Marcus Bontempelli
Forward: Isaac Heeney
Forward: Jeremy Cameron

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/is-jack-riewoldts-rampage-the-aflx-team-to-beat

Do not like.

Eastdog
07-02-2019, 01:51 PM
No injuries please!

Axe Man
07-02-2019, 01:58 PM
As much as the concept is stupid the intensity of the matches and likelihood of injury should only be at about the level of the match simulation they regularly do at training. I'm not overly concerned.

mjp
07-02-2019, 02:11 PM
No JJ or Suckers (for the Zooper goals) was a surprise.

Yeah - I thought Macrae and JJ would 100% be selected.

The 4x captains were 100% selecting off a 'list' of sorts though and my guess is that not every player had been made available. For example - Martin was not selected and whilst I have no idea of his injury situation surely he would have been the number 1 pick?

I would guess each club had to submit a list of eligible players with the understanding that only 4x of them could be selected.

Again - I am in the minority but I thought the draft was fun. I am generally very annoyed by Dangerfield but thought he was good in this format and I actually loved the way he started off just picking his Geelong team-mates. The whole 'I kicked 10 on him last year' stuff by Reiwoldt was funny (though I doubt Steven May agreed after it was mentioned another 10+ times).

Shame Wood didn't get on the same team as Bont and Lachie.

hujsh
07-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Suggestion that the Bont plays ruck for his team

FLYERS

Defender: Rory Laird
Defender: Alex Rance
Midfielder: Josh Kennedy
Wing: Stephen Coniglio
Wing: Scott Pendlebury
Ruck: Marcus Bontempelli
Forward: Isaac Heeney
Forward: Jeremy Cameron

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/is-jack-riewoldts-rampage-the-aflx-team-to-beat

Do not like.

He can ruck if he does not compete for the ball and plays as an extra mid.

He has no obligation to do that 'for the team' so Fyfe can do it himself or sook Cameron can do it

Dancin' Douggy
07-02-2019, 07:33 PM
I can't begin to tell you how much I loathe and despise this AFLX nonsense.
It's absolutely pathetic.

The souls and minds of people whom invent this stuff are among the shallowest and weakest and lamest on the planet.

westdog54
07-02-2019, 07:46 PM

He has no obligation to do that 'for the team' so Fyfe can do it himself or sook Cameron can do it

The 'ruck' is little more than a glorified jump ball. He's probably safer there than he is in the forward line.

Eastdog
07-02-2019, 09:10 PM
I can't begin to tell you how much I loathe and despise this AFLX nonsense.
It's absolutely pathetic.

The souls and minds of people whom invent this stuff are among the shallowest and weakest and lamest on the planet.

Bring back the old pre season cup. Sure there was a risk of injury but you were playing for something and getting some good game time.

hujsh
07-02-2019, 11:18 PM
The 'ruck' is little more than a glorified jump ball. He's probably safer there than he is in the forward line.

Ah, shows how much I know about the game.

Mofra
08-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Wouldn't they get Aliir Aliir to do that at some point?

Rocket Science
08-02-2019, 01:41 PM
https://i.ibb.co/vvtwmzF/Screen-Shot-2019-02-08-at-12-22-19-PM.png (https://ibb.co/qFZy91S)

----

I can't help myself, each new brain fart I spot about this grotesque joke makes me boil more than the last.

I for one cannot wait until the live crosses to the official realestate.com.au AFLX Players' Zooper Red Carpet brought to you by Gatorade. We'll be right back after a word from our sponsors ...

Eastdog
08-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Just not that interested in the AFLX. I’m waiting for the proper pre season Bulldog games.

Rocket Science
08-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Just not that interested in the AFLX. I’m waiting for the proper pre season Bulldog games.

I'm beginning to wonder if their hidden strategy is to contrive something so truly and embarrassingly awful that the punters wind up gagging for ANYTHING resembling actual football by the end of it.

Eastdog
08-02-2019, 03:21 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if their hidden strategy is to contrive something so truly and embarrassingly awful that the punters wind up gagging for ANYTHING resembling actual football by the end of it.

Who knows what the AFL agenda is.

Mofra
08-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Junior participation.

Victoria is a stronghold and the AFL lags behind both soccer and basketball for junior participation.

Rocket Science
08-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Junior participation.

Victoria is a stronghold and the AFL lags behind both soccer and basketball for junior participation.

I'm sure the tykes are looking forward to the open dress code as much as the rest of us.

hujsh
08-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Who knows what the AFL agenda is.

According to Roy and HG it's to kill the game as quickly as possible. I can't help but agree with them at times.

Grantysghost
08-02-2019, 07:44 PM
What happens if someone is reported and subsequently suspended in AFLx? Surely couldn't miss a club game.

GVGjr
08-02-2019, 08:03 PM
What happens if someone is reported and subsequently suspended in AFLx? Surely couldn't miss a club game.

There not being bumped or tackled so I guess it's unlikely to rile anyone up to throw a punch. They're playing for the fun of it

westdog54
08-02-2019, 08:05 PM
There not being bumped or tackled so I guess it's unlikely to rile anyone up to throw a punch. They're playing for the fun of it

Yep. I'd be staggered if there were any reports out of AFLX

Grantysghost
08-02-2019, 10:21 PM

Totally get that, just interested procedurally as it's possible however unlikely. Have to say that draft shambles was almost the AFLs low point.

azabob
10-02-2019, 10:07 PM
I have no real issues with AFLx. It’s half a day and if it gets more people interested in AFL isn’t that a good thing?

GVGjr
10-02-2019, 10:14 PM
I have no real issues with AFLx. It’s half a day and if it gets more people interested in AFL isn’t that a good thing?

What is the market it's pitching for? I'd say the kids already know Betts, Dangerfield, Fyffe and Riewoldt

azabob
10-02-2019, 11:02 PM
What is the market it's pitching for? I'd say the kids already know Betts, Dangerfield, Fyffe and Riewoldt

No idea who they are pitching it at - they are clearly trying to link the superhero’s to the stadium naming rights.
I don’t have kids but I’d be surprised if many kids under 15 could’ve be bothered watching or attending a whole game of afl.

hujsh
11-02-2019, 11:12 AM
No idea who they are pitching it at - they are clearly trying to link the superhero’s to the stadium naming rights.
I don’t have kids but I’d be surprised if many kids under 15 could’ve be bothered watching or attending a whole game of afl.

You'd be surprised by a 13 year old attending the entirety of an AFL game?

mjp
11-02-2019, 11:49 AM
You'd be surprised by a 13 year old attending the entirety of an AFL game?

Doesn't happen much in my place...the kids absorb the games in 3-4 15x minute chunks throughout the 2 1/2 hours of a broadcast...and if it 'blows out' (more than 4 goals is a good guide) then they lose complete interest.

It isn't as bad as the basketball - I sit down to watch 'a game' and my (supposedly) basketball mad 12yo tells me to let him know when there is 10 mins to go - but honestly all they really want to watch is:

1/. First 10 minutes or so.
2/. Last 10-15 minutes of a close game.
3/. The half-time highlights

When I was 12, we would get dropped at the gate for the u18s and stay all day...and for the majority of the seniors we actually sat and watched. Kids aren't like that today.

Rocket Science
11-02-2019, 12:04 PM
Doesn't happen much in my place...the kids absorb the games in 3-4 15x minute chunks throughout the 2 1/2 hours of a broadcast...and if it 'blows out' (more than 4 goals is a good guide) then they lose complete interest.

It isn't as bad as the basketball - I sit down to watch 'a game' and my (supposedly) basketball mad 12yo tells me to let him know when there is 10 mins to go - but honestly all they really want to watch is:

When I was 12, we would get dropped at the gate for the u18s and stay all day...and for the majority of the seniors we actually sat and watched. Kids aren't like that today.

If I'm honest, unless it's our mob on the teev that's largely the way I digest televised footy these days too, although a bit of that has to do with the insufferable way it's called.

It ain't just the kids Gill might want to contemplate winning back.

Twodogs
11-02-2019, 01:42 PM

My son was interested first time around but I think that my constant criticism, the fact he has gotten a year older and actually having seen it played has curbed his enthusiasm for it. He got right into the build up last year but has barely mentioned it this year. I think the fact he has realised that Bont could get injured playing a glorified game of touch footy that has no meaning whatsoever may have something to do with it too.

hujsh
11-02-2019, 04:39 PM

I was 13 all of 13 years ago and that was when Rocket came on the scene and we were playing real exciting football. By the end of 2005 when we were making that run at finals I was watching every game and digesting every bit of Bulldog world I could get my hands on. If we played like that earlier I'm sure I'd have been more interested before then as well.

I also went to the game as a kid but that was probably as much about the food as it was the footy.

Maybe it's the case of growing up with a smartphone in hand but I struggle to believe that 13 year olds today who have actual interest in their clubs couldn't sit though a whole match. Then again I don't know many 13 year olds.

Twodogs
11-02-2019, 07:48 PM
There are just so many distractions for young kids these days. I was 13 in 1977 and pretty much the only thing to do was footy, cricket and upsetting your parents by listening to the rudest, most obnoxious punk rock you could find.

Dry Rot
11-02-2019, 09:50 PM
They're not being bumped or tackled

Stephen May doesn't understand those words.

azabob
11-02-2019, 11:33 PM
Stephen May doesn't understand those words.

That’s why he has a “hamstring” injury and won’t be playing.

Happy Days
12-02-2019, 02:29 AM
I was 13 all of 13 years ago

Same - we should hang out some time

mjp
12-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Maybe it's the case of growing up with a smartphone in hand but I struggle to believe that 13 year olds today who have actual interest in their clubs couldn't sit though a whole match. Then again I don't know many 13 year olds.

LOL. Most 17 and 18 year olds who are part of the AFL's talent pathway would watch < 3/4 game of AFL footy each weekend. This isn't true of ALL - but most. 10 years ago I would be able to ask players about elements of an AFL game and they would be able to talk coherently about it/discuss what happened. Now I have to cut the vision and show it to them first before having a discussion. Once upon a time I could talk to players about AFL players who had similar characteristics to them and they would know what I was/who I was talking about. Now, well, you mostly get blank looks unless it is a player from the team they support who puts up videos on IG - which (btw) doesn't exactly help from a style of play perspective!

13 year olds don't consume sport like you did...hell, they don't consume anything like you did. An average 13yo would consume 60-80% of their 'media' via youtube versus television...live sport is the singular attraction of television for them - but as I said, they aren't going to watch for long. They don't watch tv shows - they just dont. They don't watch movies. The world is a very (very) different place.

hujsh
12-02-2019, 12:22 PM
LOL. Most 17 and 18 year olds who are part of the AFL's talent pathway would watch < 3/4 game of AFL footy each weekend. This isn't true of ALL - but most. 10 years ago I would be able to ask players about elements of an AFL game and they would be able to talk coherently about it/discuss what happened. Now I have to cut the vision and show it to them first before having a discussion. Once upon a time I could talk to players about AFL players who had similar characteristics to them and they would know what I was/who I was talking about. Now, well, you mostly get blank looks unless it is a player from the team they support who puts up videos on IG - which (btw) doesn't exactly help from a style of play perspective!

13 year olds don't consume sport like you did...hell, they don't consume anything like you did. An average 13yo would consume 60-80% of their 'media' via youtube versus television...live sport is the singular attraction of television for them - but as I said, they aren't going to watch for long. They don't watch tv shows - they just dont. They don't watch movies. The world is a very (very) different place.

To be fair, I've been moving more in that direction myself the last two years. But yeah it's interesting to hear how drastically things have changed in a relatively short period of time.

bornadog
14-02-2019, 10:16 PM
'No interest': Bulldogs president criticises timing of AFLX (http://I’ve got no interest in AFLX, and I wish that it wasn’t played during the AFLW season, if it were played at all,&quot; he said on Thursday.&quot;I think everyone’s entitled to be interested in what they’re interested in, and not be interested in what they’re not. I’m not interested in AFLX. For those who are, good luck to them.RELATED ARTICLE Adelaide's Eddie Betts will captain the Deadly team at AFLX. AFLX What is AFLX? Add to shortlist &quot;But I’m not here as a paid employee of the AFL.&quot;Gordon's words reiterate the concern he expressed last year at the disproportionate funding and promotion given to AFLX in its first edition.Next Friday's AFLX tournament has been hit by the recent withdrawals of star players Chad Wingard (Hawthorn), Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide) and Steven May (Melbourne).The AFL maintains that clubs and players are keen to participate in the tournament.But with most teams to play intraclub matches in the coming days, there's a risk of yet more dropouts.It comes in the week of the most significant game of the year in a women's competition that's enjoyed encouraging attendances and TV ratings in 2019, with over 18,000 fans packing Geelong's Kardinia Park for the season curtain raiser two weeks ago.While both the Bulldogs and the Kangaroos enter Friday's clash undefeated, North Melbourne have been grabbing the headlines with two crushing wins that leave them atop conference A with a 256.4 percentage.Friday will also be reigning competition best-and-fairest Kearney's first match-up against the teammates she won last year's premiership with.Kearney, 29, last month revealed that &quot;North was where I felt like it was my home&quot; and knew even from 2016 that she would join the Kangaroos once they were granted an AFLW licence.Gordon, who was at the helm for last year's AFLW premiership as well as the Bulldogs' 2016 men's flag, admitted the revelation came as news to him.&quot;I didn't know it, but I understand it,&quot; he said.)

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has "no interest" in an AFLX tournament that he believes shouldn't take place during the women's season, if at all, while admitting he wasn't aware that former Bulldog Emma Kearney always had her heart set on a move to the Kangaroos.

Ahead of the Bulldogs' top-of-the-table clash with the Kangaroos in Launceston on Friday, Gordon said he stood by his belief that all the money invested in AFLX should be diverted to a women's game he describes as the "fastest growing sport in Australia, both in terms of participation and audience".

I’ve got no interest in AFLX, and I wish that it wasn’t played during the AFLW season, if it were played at all," he said on Thursday.
"I think everyone’s entitled to be interested in what they’re interested in, and not be interested in what they’re not. I’m not interested in AFLX. For those who are, good luck to them.

"But I’m not here as a paid employee of the AFL."

Gordon's words reiterate the concern he expressed last year at the disproportionate funding and promotion given to AFLX in its first edition.

Next Friday's AFLX tournament has been hit by the recent withdrawals of star players Chad Wingard (Hawthorn), Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide) and Steven May (Melbourne) (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-port-adelaide-stars-drop-out-of-aflx-in-doubt-for-practice-matches-20190213-p50xgp.html).
The AFL maintains that clubs and players are keen to participate in the tournament.

But with most teams to play intraclub matches in the coming days, there's a risk of yet more dropouts.

bulldogtragic
14-02-2019, 10:21 PM
As with most things, I agree with our Pres. Succinctly encapsulates how a good many people feel I'm assuming.

The final drop out number of named players will be the only interesting thing as to what it might say about players and clubs really being on board with this.

Mofra
15-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Caught the end of the Bont interview this morning on SEN, he seemed to be saying the right things (i.e. media managed to a finite degree).
All I really took from the interview is that Bailey Smith is a freak and has been very impressive in the match sim while showing some genuine burst speed.

ratsmac
15-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Caught the end of the Bont interview this morning on SEN, he seemed to be saying the right things (i.e. media managed to a finite degree).
All I really took from the interview is that Bailey Smith is a freak and has been very impressive in the match sim while showing some genuine burst speed.
The Bont speaks so well. The media must love interviewing him. He plays a good defensive game too. Future captain without a shadow of a doubt. #fewch

GVGjr
20-02-2019, 11:29 PM
How many players have crossed themselves out of contention so far?

Axe Man
21-02-2019, 10:32 AM
How many players have crossed themselves out of contention so far?

9 so far that I can tell: Jeremy Cameron, Tom McDonald, Isaac Smith, Luke Breust, Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Steven May, Joel Hamling and Robbie Tarrant.

Smith and Bruest aren't even injured, they are just going to play a practice game instead. I didn't realise that was an option, why aren't our players playing in a practice game instead? At least no Bulldogs have been called up to replace the drop outs.

Murphy'sLore
21-02-2019, 12:13 PM
I just don't get. Make a version of AFL to be played on a rectangular ground. Then tweak it to the point that it no longer resembles AFL football. How is that supposed to attract more followers to AFL proper?

Meanwhile, make sure that this pointless parody of a game takes resources away from and treads on the toes of AFLW which people WANT to play and WANT to watch.

Makes no sense to me.

Grantysghost
21-02-2019, 12:18 PM
I just don't get. Make a version of AFL to be played on a rectangular ground. Then tweak it to the point that it no longer resembles AFL football. How is that supposed to attract more followers to AFL proper?

Meanwhile, make sure that this pointless parody of a game takes resources away from and treads on the toes of AFLW which people WANT to play and WANT to watch.

Makes no sense to me.

Couldn't agree more. I don't think I've heard one person say they think it's a good idea. I get they're going for the 20/20 market and the US sports razzle dazzle but I'm not sure the game needs it. At least with 20/20 it resembles cricket. This isn't Aussie rules at all.

bornadog
21-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Makes no sense to me.

You hit the nail on the head.

Twodogs
22-02-2019, 07:59 PM
So. Who is sitting in front of the telly waiting for it to start? I am but in my defence I have a teenage son.

Rocket Science
22-02-2019, 08:07 PM
https://i.ibb.co/qBx7CXK/Screen-Shot-2019-02-22-at-7-06-36-PM.png (https://ibb.co/xh3XYPW)

Not sure if serious

comrade
22-02-2019, 09:05 PM
Lasted 30 seconds and turned it off.

Dry Rot
22-02-2019, 09:10 PM
What's worst?

The commentators, the nonsense at the ground, bizarre rules or the lack of intensity?

Prefer the women's footy.

GVGjr
22-02-2019, 09:28 PM
I've had it on, it's OK but my demographic isn't the target audience

G-Mo77
22-02-2019, 09:29 PM
I gave it a try, not as bad as last year but half a game of it was enough for me to turn it off and watch something else.

comrade
22-02-2019, 09:31 PM
Bont looks in ripping shape, I must say.

G-Mo77
22-02-2019, 09:35 PM
I've had it on, it's OK but my demographic isn't the target audience

I don't know what is G? Sure they say it's aimed at kids now but wasn't this whole thing thought up to broaden the market overseas?

GVGjr
22-02-2019, 09:40 PM
I don't know what is G? Sure they say it's aimed at kids now but wasn't this whole thing thought up to broaden the market overseas?

It just seems to have been devised to target the younger audience and it may work. I'd prefer a proper state of origin type series but that isn't going to happen.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2019, 09:53 PM
I had the choice from a bunch of 90's Nick Cage movies just uploaded on Stan. Or AFLX. Easy choice, I don't watch garbage.

Dry Rot
22-02-2019, 10:10 PM
I had the choice from a bunch of 90's Nick Cage movies just uploaded on Stan. Or AFLX. Easy choice, I don't watch garbage.

If you haven't seen it, go to SBS onDemand and check out Counterpart. Best new TV series for a while. Pisses on Bodyguard and AFLX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Bu2DOM66g

Doc26
22-02-2019, 10:55 PM
Bont. after the siren sends his Flyers into the GF.

Fyfe and Bont together. Wow.

Operation BT - Get Fyfe.

I’m now hooked.

azabob
23-02-2019, 08:57 AM

Did you choose Con Air or Face Off?

bulldogtragic
23-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Did you choose Con Air or Face Off?

The Rock.

Ghost Dog
23-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Couldn't agree more. I don't think I've heard one person say they think it's a good idea. I get they're going for the 20/20 market and the US sports razzle dazzle but I'm not sure the game needs it. At least with 20/20 it resembles cricket. This isn't Aussie rules at all.

AFL has to be classified as a national heritage cultural entity and start to have more oversight from independent bodies. It's turning into a farce. We want our game to have roots in Australia not America. It's too precious to let corporations like Marvel entertainment take it over. Our sport is built on something that evolved from communities in a complex way. Stamping American values all over it willy nilly won't nurture the game.
Marvel Stadium, Apple Federation square, what next?

mjp
23-02-2019, 02:59 PM
AFL has to be classified as a national heritage cultural entity and start to have more oversight from independent bodies. It's turning into a farce. We want our game to have roots in Australia not America. It's too precious to let corporations like Marvel entertainment take it over. Our sport is built on something that evolved from communities in a complex way. Stamping American values all over it willy nilly won't nurture the game.
Marvel Stadium, Apple Federation square, what next?

Our club was born in blood and boots...

(I still loved the games last night but I know what you are saying...I guess that to me all that ‘stuff’ You mention is exactly what AFLx is for. Leave the clubs and traditions out of it and just have some fun.)

Ghost Dog
23-02-2019, 03:41 PM
I get what you are saying. I felt myself being an old curmudgeon as I wrote my last post. Still... It's all fun and games until Bont rolls an ankle. Call me sensitive but... I'm so over injuries to my favorite players! If they are going to do it then, go balls out... make them wear WWF style outfits. :D
But in terms of options, why not do something with the vfl instead? Or do a mixed comp, men and women? Or a legends style fundraiser? Anyway, I'm going back to my rocking chair and blanket.

bornadog
23-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Still... It's all fun and games until Bont rolls an ankle. .

Nat Fyfe to have surgery on his elbow following last night.

Doc26
23-02-2019, 07:56 PM

I wouldn’t put this down to AFLX. He did go into the game with a bad elbow.

Twodogs
23-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Our club was born in blood and boots...

(I still loved the games last night but I know what you are saying...I guess that to me all that ‘stuff’ You mention is exactly what AFLx is for. Leave the clubs and traditions out of it and just have some fun.)

I ended up watchimg all the games and enjoyed them. The emphasis on pace and skills without the prospect of serious impact means they there are more contests for the ball without players not involved in the contest crashing into the pack with no intention of going for the ball.

Thank god it's not the Bont.

jeemak
23-02-2019, 08:32 PM
Fyfe has a bursa on his elbow that has been causing pain, he's now gone into surgery for that.

Twodogs
23-02-2019, 09:15 PM
Fyfe has a bursa on his elbow that has been causing pain, he's now gone into surgery for that.

Ive had one of those for the last few months. It's better known as tennis elbow the doctor said.

Rocket Science
06-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Oh noes.

Vale AFELX (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-06/x-off-the-map-afl-to-remove-aflx-from-preseason-fixture), we hardly knew ye.

What a pointless, predictably shithouse waste of time and resources.

At least this forecasts better support for the women's competition.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Maybe David Stevenson should go back to Nike overseas. First he was turfed out of our club before he got an arse imprint into the CEO chair, and then progressed in his career to the AFEL where AFELX was his baby.

I'm not sure I've ever said this, the AFEL actually did something good for everyone (by stopping their self harm of the game).

comrade
08-08-2019, 03:42 PM
The biggest shock here is that there is someone within AFL HQ that actually had the self awareness to admit they created a turd AND pulled the trigger to kill it off.

#RIPZooperGoals

bornadog
08-08-2019, 03:58 PM
The biggest shock here is that there is someone within AFL HQ that actually had the self awareness to admit they created a turd AND pulled the trigger to kill it off.

#RIPZooperGoals

Probably the cleaner advised Hocking - " It ain't working son"