PDA

View Full Version : Rate a team in 2008: Swans

Dry Rot
22-01-2008, 12:45 AM
How do you rate the Swans chances in 2008? Special interest for me, since I live among these bastards.

Along with the Crows, the Swans seem to always be able to close us down since 2002.

Often underrated pre-sesaon, they have done well under Roos with a flag, runner-up and a PF appearance.

The Sydney papers are full of the potential of new recruits Mattner and Playfair (believe it or not), and Hall and Micky O are in good nick. They have also had an earlier and better pre-season than usual.

But their list is seriously ageing, and some would claim that the game has passed them by.

Underrate these red and white bastards at your peril (that Bloods spirit and all that) but IMHO I can't see them finishing better than 7 - 10th.

Thoughts?

hujsh
22-01-2008, 01:33 AM
If they are talking up Playfair then they must be struggling. Surely Grundy would get a spot before him.

I can see them making the top 4. (when I think they'll do crap the come good and visa versa)

The Bulldogs Bite
22-01-2008, 01:36 AM
Agree with basically everything you've said.

If they get a few injuries they'll be in trouble; IMHO they really lack in depth, and because they were so injury free in 05/06 they performed very well. That's not to say they wern't a seriously good side, though.

Playfair is average, Mattner could be okay though.

Schneider/Dempster appear to me to be a bit of a loss, but I guess they were players they had to dump to keep under the cap. Gives them a chance to breed some younger players which they really need to do, but as is the process, they'll begin to decline.

hujsh
22-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Playfair is average, Mattner could be okay though.

They struggled when Lewis Robert Thompson and Barry were out so Mattner will improve depth as well as provide the run lost when Kennelly was out

Sockeye Salmon
22-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Surely they must be on the slide?

How much longer can they stay up there without blooding any young players? Their average age must be up to what, 45?

Won't make the 8 unless Hall works out the new rules and starts getting a kick again.

Go_Dogs
22-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Sydney are an interesting one for mine. I don't expect them to improve on last year, but essentially they have a good side still. I just think they lack a bit of speed, and are a bit one dimensional. Their forward line has the potential to be pretty good as always though, and they have some quality, hard workers in the midfield.

I'd expect them to be around the mark, but could finish almost anywhere from 5th - 15th.

Mantis
22-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Surely they must be on the slide?

How much longer can they stay up there without blooding any young players? Their average age must be up to what, 45?

Won't make the 8 unless Hall works out the new rules and starts getting a kick again.

His body didn't help him last year, but I know what you mean. They can't continue to rely on Hall and Micky O to kick the bulk of their goals. Desperately need one of Playfair, Grundy or White (who was impressive in a NAB Cup game vs us last year then went missing) to step up and kick some goals.

DOG GOD
22-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Interstate teams are always dangerous due to their home ground advantage, so with that in mind sydney could make top 4. They always seem to have players that arent household names, but can perform above their ability (remember Vogals against us at the SCG with 3? last qtr goals).

If injuries really hit and say a KIRK, HALL, BARRY or O'Louglin missed a HUGE chunk of the season, then they could really slide.

SHOULD make the 8.

westdog54
22-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Sydney were a massive under-acheiver last year IMO.

Sure, their list is ageing, but there's still plenty of quality on every line in that squad. I consider Sydney to be one of the best managed squads in the league, but are they the best coached? The question must be asked, given the quality of their run-on squad, is Paul Roos getting the most out of this team? I'm not sure he is.

I'll say bottom half of the top 8 for the Swans, would be surprised if they made the top 4 this year. If its the same old faces they might get found out a bit this season.