PDA

View Full Version : Leadership Group 2018 - Wood Captain

jazzadogs
20-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Easton Wood has been announced as the new captain of the Western Bulldogs.

The 28-year-old will lead a leadership group of six, which includes Marcus Bontempelli as vice-captain.

The new-look group, which was voted on by the players, includes Lachie Hunter, Jason Johannisen, Jack Redpath and Jordan Roughead.

Wood, the Bulldogs’ vice-captain for the last two seasons, led the Club to a historic premiership in 2016 in the absence of Bob Murphy, who missed most of that season with a knee injury.

Murphy, the Club captain from 2015-17, retired in August after 312 games.

Bulldogs’ senior coach Luke Beveridge praised Wood for his leadership qualities.

“Easton provides inspiration on and off the field and stimulates all of us to reach new heights on both a personal level and as a team,” Beveridge said.

“He is selfless, caring, always puts the team and the Club first, and is the ultimate professional.

“His experience of stepping in as captain in Bob’s absence in 2016 will give him confidence that he can lead the Club into the future, and we have full confidence in him.”

Wood has established himself as one of the AFL best defenders, playing 125 games since his debut in 2009.

“It’s a huge honour. I’m really excited about taking on the role,” Wood said.

“I feel like I’ve been pretty fortunate to have had a great lead-in into it when Bob went down, but still having that support there for him to guide me through it.

“I couldn’t have had a better apprenticeship. It’s exciting to have that challenge and opportunity to keep growing.”

In a joint decision between Dale Morris and Beveridge, Morris will step away from official leadership duties to allow a new group to forge their own identity.

“While Dale, a long-time leader at the Bulldogs, won’t have the official title, he brings outstanding leadership qualities to the playing group and that won’t change,” Beveridge said.

“We ask each of our players to provide leadership in their own way, and Dale will continue to be one who has plenty to offer to his team-mates and the Club.”

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-11-20/wood-named-bulldogs-captain)

jazzadogs
20-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Interesting that two of our six man leadership group are players that many of us have predicted may struggle for games in 2018, namely Red and Roughy. It shows how well respected Redpath is, and while it doesn't completely explain the decision to give him a two year contract it does show part of the reasoning.

Also pleasantly surprised to see Lachie Hunter recognised by his peers as a leader. That wasn't the perception I had of him, and JJ has also struck me as a fairly quiet guy. Happy for both of them.

Wood and Bont speak for themselves.

Go_Dogs
20-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Interesting that two of our six man leadership group are players that many of us have predicted may struggle for games in 2018, namely Red and Roughy. It shows how well respected Redpath is, and while it doesn't completely explain the decision to give him a two year contract it does show part of the reasoning.

Also pleasantly surprised to see Lachie Hunter recognised by his peers as a leader. That wasn't the perception I had of him, and JJ has also struck me as a fairly quiet guy. Happy for both of them.

Wood and Bont speak for themselves.

It near impossible looking from outside, but was also surprised to see a few names in that group. It’s good to have some fresh players in and blokes like JJ and Hunter whilst still young, are sernior players in the group. Good to see them get recognised by their teammates.

Mofra
20-11-2017, 11:30 AM
JJ doesn't actually surprise me that much - known workhorse on the track.

Hunter is a bit of a surprise, Roughy is a quality person and I still think the no 1 ruck mantle is his to lose while English develops, but Redpath is the head scratcher. Heart of the change-room they say, but with Schache and Boyd fit I really don't see where he plays.

AndrewP6
20-11-2017, 11:33 AM
I know I'm not privy to the inner sanctum and its goings on, but it's perplexing to me to have a guy in the leadership group who isn't even assured of playing.

Twodogs
20-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Leadership around the club is as important as playing talent. It looks like that's what the players takeaway from the Stringer situation is. I like the fact that it's not just the best 6 players the playing group went with but other factors came into play.

They are learning and growing, that's got to be good news.

Twodogs
20-11-2017, 11:46 AM
I know I'm not privy to the inner sanctum and its goings on, but it's perplexing to me to have a guy in the leadership group who isn't even assured of playing.

You're talking Redpath yeah? If he is half a leader he will make it his business to do everything possible at the club and away from the club to make sure he is best 22. The other players might think that some trust invested in him might drive him that bit harder or even make him more responsible and stop doing idiotic things every now and then.

Or maybe the other players wanted a soft touch in the leadership group? The leadership group are effectively the lowest level management of the playing group. The players report to them, the leadership group hand out discipline, they can suspend you or fine you, they organise a lot of the training drills and extras. I'd want my best mate involved in all that.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-11-2017, 12:02 PM
I see Redpath being included as only a good thing.

It's up to his form to dictate whether he plays or not, but being voted into the leadership group suggests he's very well respected as somebody who is a hard worker, leads by example and is a popular teammate.

Captain/VC aside, I see no issue in a player being in the leadership group who isn't a walk up start to the 22. The younger players will look up to him moreso at VFL level.

bulldogtragic
20-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Three time Premiership Captain Easton Wood. Sounds good.

bornadog
20-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Three time Premiership Captain Easton Wood. Sounds good.

One premiership at a time, let's not get ahead of ourselves. :D

2018 and 2019 sounds good though

The Doctor
20-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Wood is an excellent appointment and an obvious one in my view. Well deserved and was a mighty leader in our premiership year.

Twodogs
20-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Wood reminds me a bit of Nick Maxwell/Tom Harley type of captain. Not the best plYer in the team but prepares well and sets a huge example.

merantau
20-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Wood showed himself to be a wonderful leader and I am really pleased that Bont is his deputy. He is the obvious heir apparent.
I'm happy with the leadership group two especially with the appointment of JJ. It is a big vote of confidence in him.
Roughie had an indifferent year for us last year but had a lot to contend with injury wise. He played his best ever footy for us in the 2016 campaign and a fit, firing Roughie will see our stovks rise. Hunter is a very good player who gives everything and it's good that this has been recognised. Redpath ? Like others gave said, the LG doesn't have to be the best 6 players. The best 6 leadets will do just fine. I trust the decisions that have been made. Go Dogs! 2018 - let's creat a bit of mayhem and excitement with a full-on, attacking brand of football which s ribes might dub : Shock and Awe!

bornadog
20-11-2017, 04:05 PM
The Bont looking in great shape.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPC4jmkVAAAGB00.jpg:large

Twodogs
20-11-2017, 04:21 PM
The Bont looking in great shape.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPC4jmkVAAAGB00.jpg:large

Are their boots colour coordinated?

Eastdog
20-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Great pick up there Twodogs :)

choconmientay
20-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Surprised that Mitch Wallis is not voted into the leadership group.

Also I would like to see Marcus Adams getting a promotion into the leadership group. He is quite vocal on the field and seem to motivate the guys a bit whenever they were down.

SquirrelGrip
20-11-2017, 05:17 PM
It amazes me that JJ, Hunter and Red are in the leadership group ahead of men like Mitch Wallis, Jack MacRae and even Caleb Daniel.

jeemak
20-11-2017, 05:31 PM
They need to photo shop some turf into the image. The joint looks like Princess Park circa 1991.

LostDoggy
20-11-2017, 05:35 PM
I noticed the boots when I first saw that photo too. Great news for all the boys and congratulations to all in the Leadership group.

ratsmac
20-11-2017, 05:56 PM

The colour signifies their rank!

G-Mo77
20-11-2017, 06:01 PM
I find some of them strange choices. Wood, Bont and Roughy are no brainers. JJ selection I like. Hunter and Big Red I have question marks over? I have no idea how they're selected but it's very surprising that a guy like Mitch Wallis is not included.

bulldogtragic
20-11-2017, 06:17 PM
I find some of them strange choices. Wood, Bont and Roughy are no brainers. JJ selection I like. Hunter and Big Red I have question marks over? I have no idea how they're selected but it's very surprising that a guy like Mitch Wallis is not included.

Yep, the only thing I can guess is he got the same message Roughy got when he was left out a few years ago. Which was, 'it's not a demotion, but you've had injuries. Concentrate on your body, fitness and being a best 22 player. Further on, you can add this extra responsibility'. Coincidentally, which Roughy has done.

Cordy & Boyd were in leadership groups at U/18 level. I'd like to see them get a crack at it down the line too with Macrae & Daniel.

GVGjr
20-11-2017, 08:07 PM
It amazes me that JJ, Hunter and Red are in the leadership group ahead of men like Mitch Wallis, Jack MacRae and even Caleb Daniel.

My perception is that we lacked strong leadership last year and it's one of the reasons why we performed so poorly.

Mitch Wallis was being touted as a potential captain of this club as soon as he arrived so it's seems strange to me he isn't one of the 6.
Jack Macrae should also be in the mix, I'm not saying he wasn't, so it's another surprise he isn't in as well.

Unless Redpath has grown up or they are hoping he will scare a few of the boys he hasn't really inspired me for this sort of role
Roughy is a great guy and a good leader, Hunter strikes me as being one of the boys more than being a leader.

I don't doubt Wood's commitment but has he got that edge to take on his team mates if they aren't committed?

josie
20-11-2017, 08:23 PM
When you see Wood in the 2016 finals huddles before quarters I think he has that fire in the belly to be firm when he needs to be. I think the boys walk a bit taller with big Red playing, whether this be in seniors or vfl. Bont as vice captain a no brainer. JJ’s loyalty and training standards probably set him up as a leader. Hunter perhaps more vocal than Macrae? As Bevo says, we expect all our players to be leaders in their own way. Would love to see Macrae, Dahl, Libba, Boyd, Cordy and Daniel grow into future leaders on and off the field. Confident some of them will. Agree Wallis needs to recover from his injury and also think his lack of speed and sometimes his disposal efficiency might see him challenging to stay in best 22.

bornadog
20-11-2017, 10:12 PM
I don't doubt Wood's commitment but has he got that edge to take on his team mates if they aren't committed?

He was reported three times last year for retailing against players having a go at our players, mainly the ones getting stuck into JJ.

As Josie says, he does have fire in the belly and won't take any nonsense, especially now that he has authority and Murph has gone.

GVGjr
20-11-2017, 10:15 PM
He was reported three times last year for retailing against players having a go at our players, mainly the ones getting stuck into JJ.

As Josie says, he does have fire in the belly and won't take any nonsense, especially now that he has authority and Murph has gone.

I'm not in anyway questioning his on field commitment but I'm asking if could he stand up to any shenanigans from some of our own boys?

bornadog
20-11-2017, 10:18 PM
I'm not in anyway questioning his on field commitment but I'm asking if could he stand up to any shenanigans from some of our own boys?

That is why I said: "won't take any nonsense, especially now that he has authority and Murph has gone" I meant internally

bulldogtragic
20-11-2017, 10:19 PM

I think so. To me he has a tough but fair edge to his leadership style. I think it's exactly what we need right now.

GVGjr
20-11-2017, 10:23 PM
I think so. To me he has a tough but fair edge to his leadership style. I think it's exactly what we need right now.

I don't know, I hope so but he doesn't appear to exhibit that take no nonsense approach I think we need.

LostDoggy
20-11-2017, 10:53 PM
Interesting discussion. It's important to remember that the leadership group is selected by the players. Like many, I am surprised that Red, JJ, Hunter were elected ahead of Wallis, Macrae etc, based on my outsiders take on the personalities.

bornadog
20-11-2017, 11:57 PM
BEVO ANNOUNCES LEADERSHIP GROUP - WATCH HERE (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-11-20/bevo-announces-new-leaders-to-players)

The Adelaide Connection
21-11-2017, 12:55 AM
As Peanuts mentioned (and can be seen in the video) the group was assembled based on peer votes.

I think it is really easy for us to say "should have been this bloke" or whatever, but the reality is we don't know anywhere near the detail about the group dynamic both on field, on the track, in the gym, locker room, cafe, wider world etc.

I think most comments on who should/shouldn't be in reference the on-field, based on what we see from playing abilities etc. I think that is way too simplistic and you have to remember that is only 2 hours out of the week.

Assume someone has an issue- It is pretty vital that all players feel represented and feel like they have a go to if there is something bothering them. Too many blokes from the same clique in the group might mean players don't feel they have that and then issues become festering sores. Same goes when someone needs disciplining or motivating- usually much easier to take if it's not just coming from the blokes that you don't gel with.

On a tangent, I think anyone who has played sport at any level would have played with enough gun players that were terrible leaders and vice versa to know that it is not all that cut and dry.

boydogs
21-11-2017, 02:13 AM
I don't know, I hope so but he doesn't appear to exhibit that take no nonsense approach I think we need.

Does Bont? He's a good kid but not sure he would pull people into line like Mitch Wallis would

GVGjr
21-11-2017, 04:18 AM
Does Bont? He's a good kid but not sure he would pull people into line like Mitch Wallis would

I think he is more likely to address bad behaviour than most.

Doc26
21-11-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm pleased with the Wood / Bontempelli combination - that was a quite obvious choice.

Appreciating that the Leadership Group is chosen by a vote of the playing group it still troubles me that Redpath can find his way onto the Leadership Group in front of the likes of Macrae and Wallis. Assuming Schache commands a position, along with TBoyd, Roughead and a developing English, short of injury, I struggle to see how Redpath is anywhere near our best 22.

I'm hoping with this decision that the tail isn't continuing to wag the dog with the playboys in Dahlhaus, Libba, Biggs, Suckling, JJ, Hunter all choosing their man in Redpath.

The Adelaide Connection
21-11-2017, 02:02 PM
I'm pleased with the Wood / Bontempelli combination - that was a quite obvious choice.

Appreciating that the Leadership Group is chosen by a vote of the playing group it still troubles me that Redpath can find his way onto the Leadership Group in front of the likes of Macrae and Wallis. Assuming Schache commands a position, along with TBoyd, Roughead and a developing English, short of injury, I struggle to see how Redpath is anywhere near our best 22.

I'm hoping with this decision that the tail isn't continuing to wag the dog with the playboys in Dahlhaus, Libba, Biggs, Suckling, JJ, Hunter all choosing their man in Redpath.

Are you basing this on playing ability, or do you have an insight into their leadership capabilities? Personally I don’t see an issue if Red is in and out of the team. Firstly, there are 20 odd AFL listed players that will be playing at Footscray on any given weekend and they too will require on field leadership.

Secondly, I would hope that all players (regardless of title) provide leadership when they throw on the jumper. One bloke out of six from the official group being relegated to the twos shouldn’t upset the Apple cart.

Lastly, as I mentioned I think that all players think they have a voice and having different blokes from different social groups may be a huge plus. Maybe it is enough to stop them getting totally disenfranchised when things get tough?

I tend to feel that the role of the leadership group has evolved and the non-game day role should/already has been given greater importance than in times gone by.

Ozza
21-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Redpath actually hasn't been out of the team on many occasions over the past 2.5 seasons when fit to play, and not suspended.

In terms of the comments around the Bulldog 'rat pack' type of players voting him in - I don't really buy that to be honest. Redpath is popular across the board - and we even heard Matthew Boyd speak specifically about Redpath during his retirement media commitments.

I think back to how Redpath reacted to doing his ACL (again) and the way that he kept a very positive attitude around the group and got on with the recovery during the latter stages of our premiership year. He showed his character then - and its clear that he is held in high regard around the group. Following this, from doing his knee in Round 18, 2016 - he was back playing AFL football by round 8, 2017.

Smads57
21-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Just something I noted going to VFL games away from Whitten Oval was Redpath's appearance at most of these games (along with the Bont). Suggests he is a team man(??)

GVGjr
07-12-2019, 11:57 AM
There was some discussion on SEN (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/12/05/could-the-western-bulldogs-be-on-the-verge-of-a-captain-change/) that Bontempelli might be the captain for 2020

Marcus Bontempelli could become Western Bulldogs captain as soon as next season, according to Nick Dal Santo.

Easton Wood has been the permanent captain of the club since 2018 but skippered the side during their 2016 premiership success with Robert Murphy sidelined through injury.

Bontempelli has been widely tipped to eventually become captain of the club he was drafted to in 2013 but Dal Santo said it could happen sooner than expected.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Marcus Bontempelli took over the captaincy (in 2020),” he said on SEN Summer Breakfast.

“I think he’s been touted (for the role) – like many – from a young age and he has leadership qualities. His football clearly speaks for itself and there’s no question with his performance.

“The way he presents himself to the media and the group and the way he’s respected within that football club, I just wouldn’t be surprised (if he takes over) next year.

“It’s going to be one year (when he takes over) but I wouldn’t surprised if it’s this year where Easton Wood feels it’s the time to hand over and Marcus is ready to go with Easton still at the footy club.

The former St Kilda and North Melbourne star said it would be beneficial for Bontempelli to have Wood still at the club to lend a hand should he need it if he does become captain next season.

“If you’re on the football field, you be exactly who you are,” he said.

“The game is changing, and the game has changed since I stopped playing about the way you can speak to each other and the way it’s received.

“Have Marcus say to Easton ‘hey, I’m here for you whenever you need it’.

“I just think Marcus is ready to go.”

Hotdog60
07-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Marcus is 24 and with 127 games to his credit and I think with our age profile I think he's ready.

The Doctor
07-12-2019, 02:15 PM
I would prefer Wood remain as captain and Bontempelli vice captain for 2020.

GVGjr
07-12-2019, 02:32 PM
I would prefer Wood remain as captain and Bontempelli vice captain for 2020.

Any particular reason Doc?

bulldogtragic
07-12-2019, 02:44 PM
I'm for a mega announcement. Bonts made captain, and he signs a 7 year deal. Keep the good news coming for the club and members.

Plus Bonts thrives on responsibility (usually), and Wood can concentrate on playing good footy alone.

Go_Dogs
07-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Bont for me.

Wood has done a great job and is clearly an outstanding human and teammate, but we are ready for the next generation to run this side and I'd prefer they did it now, while we have senior players getting games who can support. Bont is a proven leader, and him in a leadership role with more camera time helps us market ourselves too.

merantau
07-12-2019, 09:51 PM
I'm torn on this one. I think we're going to have a great 2020. Marcus had an excellent 2019. I want him to have an even better 2020. Giving him the added responsibility of the captaincy MAY militate against this.
On the other hand, Easton has had to play a difficult role because of our undersized defence. With the addition of Keath, Easton will be freed up to play a more attacking role. I think he should captain us again in 2020

The Doctor
08-12-2019, 01:24 AM
Any particular reason Doc?

Wood is one of the best captain's in the league.

bornadog
08-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Wood is one of the best captain's in the league.

I thought he was our best player in the final against GWS

GVGjr
08-12-2019, 01:36 PM
I thought he was our best player in the final against GWS

Are we linking form to the question of the captaincy?

I'm not sure I see any reason to hold Bontempelli back for another 12 months and it's probably better to have the likes of Wood and Trengove around to support him in his first season

comrade
10-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Bont to captain the club in 2020.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Bont to captain the club in 2020.

As in a fact, or your opinion?

The Pie Man
10-12-2019, 12:17 PM
As in a fact, or your opinion?

Tis fact - congrats Marcus!

The right call IMV

cinder
10-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Yep totally agree. Had been hoping for this. Massive congrats to Bont and a huge thank you to Easton for his services (including a Premiership!!)

KT31
10-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Bontempelli to succeed Wood as captain
Bontempelli to succeed Wood as captain
Marcus Bontempelli will take over as the new captain of the Western Bulldogs in 2020.
Just now

Star midfielder Marcus Bontempelli will lead the Western Bulldogs in 2020.

The 24-year-old will inherit the captaincy from 2016 premiership skipper Easton Wood, who has stepped down after two years in the role but will remain in the leadership group.

Bontempelli, who has been the Bulldogs’ vice-captain for the past two seasons, will have Lachie Hunter as his deputy.

The three-time Charles Sutton Medallist will lead a six-man leadership group, which includes Hunter, Wood, Jason Johannisen, Mitch Wallis and new addition, Josh Dunkley.

Wood announced his decision to players on Monday, with a player vote this morning confirming the Bulldogs’ new captain and vice-captain.

Senior coach Luke Beveridge praised Wood’s leadership during an important period for the Club.

“On behalf of everyone associated with our Club, I want to thank and congratulate Easton for his outstanding contribution as our captain during a period of success and significant change,” Beveridge said.

“The hallmark of great leaders is consistency of temperament, care for others and work ethic regardless of the circumstances.

“Easton has most definitely been dependable in displaying these traits and has forged a reputation as a beacon of strength and resilience within our Club.”

Wood, who deputised for the injured Bob Murphy to lead the Bulldogs to the ultimate success in 2016, said with many strong leaders in the Bulldogs’ ranks he felt the time was right to hand the reins to a new captain.

Bontempelli and Hunter are the right men to build on the environment and culture fostered by Wood and Murphy in recent years, according to Beveridge and the Bulldogs’ playing group.

Marcus has been acknowledged by his peers as the young man who deserves recognition through past contributions, the promise of the future and the impression he will make as the captain of our Club.
“Congratulations to Marcus as he succeeds Easton as our captain,” Beveridge said.

“We have come to admire Marcus for the impact he has had on the game and his already remarkable reputation as a Western Bulldogs player.

“We are blessed to have tremendous wealth of character within our playing group. Marcus has been acknowledged by his peers as the young man who deserves recognition through past contributions, the promise of the future and the impression he will make as the captain of our Club.

“It goes without saying that everyone here is thrilled for Marcus and will do all we can to support him as he takes on new responsibilities.

“We also congratulate Lachie as we recognise him through the vice-captaincy as the teammate best equipped to support Marcus, to continue to set a fine example and grow his own leadership qualities.”

Why not share?

Link copied to clipboard

bulldogtragic
10-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Marcus, sign that 7 year extension today.

westbulldog
10-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Easton Wood is a person of quality and has been a fine leader, he is a premiership captain, only our second in 165 years since foundation and in 94 years since joining the VFL. With a better backline in 2020 and with less responsibiliity I think he will have a very good year. Marcus Bontempelli is a natural leader with extraordinary ability, mature beyond his years and will be a great captain, congratulations Bont.

Remi Moses
10-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Well done to the Bont
No great shock
Easton Wood is a premiership captain
Done a wonderful job and now it’s time to pass on the baton

bornadog
10-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Well done to Marcus and Lachie as his deputy. Great to see Wallis back in the leadership group, he is a player that could easily be captain.

bornadog
10-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Thank you Easton

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2019/12/09/8d4451e6-a3a8-44fc-9cfb-04b35daffd41/GFSyWB16GF2180.jpg?width=1064&height=600

merantau
10-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Easton Wood is all class. Put the Club first and made it easy for all concerned. I think this will result in a win-win-win because, from what I see, Easton has made the decision himself. This puts him in the best position to play football and not pay any attention to background noise because there won't be any. And, being in the leadership group he is there for the Bont at any time. And I'm sure that has been communicated.
Initially I thought that Easton should have one more year to allow the Bont to be totally free just to play football. I now think Bont will go to another level s skipper especially with the leadership group around him. Go Dogs. Big year on the horizon.

Twodogs
10-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Thank you Easton

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2019/12/09/8d4451e6-a3a8-44fc-9cfb-04b35daffd41/GFSyWB16GF2180.jpg?width=1064&height=600

That's a great shot with all that red, white and blue in the background and the skipper waving the cup.

I woke up the next day with a bunch of photos on my phone that I have no idea where they came from. Quite a few of them appear to have been taken from out on the ground during the presentation.

S Coast Simon
10-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Fantastic news. I’m pretty excited to see where the Bont goes from here. Well done to Easton Wood. Took on a very tough position when the club needed on field leadership. And to be known as a premiership captain, he will be lauded for the rest of his life. IT JUST FEELS RIGHT. After our finish and with our very impressive new recruits, it feels like something is building and this is the perfect time for the handover. Cheers to the new beginning. I can’t bloody wait now

bulldogtragic
10-12-2019, 10:29 PM
Fantastic news. I’m pretty excited to see where the Bont goes from here. Well done to Easton Wood. Took on a very tough position when the club needed on field leadership. And to be known as a premiership captain, he will be lauded for the rest of his life. IT JUST FEELS RIGHT. After our finish and with our very impressive new recruits, it feels like something is building and this is the perfect time for the handover. Cheers to the new beginning. I can’t bloody wait now

I like a Hawthorn 2000's comparison to us.

Sam Mitchell, was a good captain and won the premiership 'early' as a captain in 2008. Then he was also the captain as the 'hang over' kicked in, but also when his Hawthorn side fired back into the finals a couple of years later finishing 7th. Finishing 30 wins, 1 draw, 24 losses.

Mitchell then stood aside for arguably Hawthorn's fiercest competitor and proven big game player, Luke Hodge. The Hodge Hawthorn was a driven, fierce unit that understood the need for delivering on potential, not trading off of it. They played 4 Grand Finals in a row, winning three in a row.

The Mitchell Hawthorn was a premiership side, under a very good captain.
The Hodge Hawthorn was a three time premiership side, under a very, very good captain.

They needed Mitchell then, they needed Hodge later. One is not necessarily better than the other, it's about the right leader at the right time, in the right circumstances. I see something of a parallel. Wood wins a Premiership, takes over in losing times and sees us back to finals to hand over to the next captain with a positive win-loss record (30 wins, 24 losses). Now it's time for our proven big game player to lead from the front with the (c) and drive the players to his standards. (And kick straight)

I like the way you phrased it Simon, 'the new beginning'. My gut says the Bontempelli Years will be very good years.

mjp
10-12-2019, 10:55 PM
The Mitchell Hawthorn was a premiership side, under a very good captain.

Not sure too many Hawthorn players would agree with this.

jeemak
11-12-2019, 03:00 AM
Not sure too many Hawthorn players would agree with this.

I think people were pretty quick to endorse Hodge as soon as he got his shit together.

The Doctor
11-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Congratulations to Easton Wood on his wonderful stint as captain. Premiership captain says it all.

Best wishes to Bont who now follows in the footsteps of 2 of our greatest ever captains in Murphy and Wood.

Mofra
12-12-2019, 01:38 PM
That's a great shot with all that red, white and blue in the background and the skipper waving the cup.

I woke up the next day with a bunch of photos on my phone that I have no idea where they came from. Quite a few of them appear to have been taken from out on the ground during the presentation.
TBH when I think of Wood I don't think of that photo - my first thought is the hanger he took in the first ten minutes of the 2016 prelim.

mjp
12-12-2019, 04:05 PM
TBH when I think of Wood I don't think of that photo - my first thought is the hanger he took in the first ten minutes of the 2016 prelim.

Mark in the f50 in the first q of the GF.

bornadog
12-12-2019, 04:11 PM
or this Mark

https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/sportal_com_au/fd/51/easton-wood_18e04sjg0t8t81btyn6fcvkva7.jpg?t=-1228104429&quality=100