PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Aaron Naughton

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
23-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Welcome!

(Just getting in early to focus the convo)

bulldogtragic
24-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Darcy? Maybe? Cmon.

bulldogtragic
24-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Aaron Naughton come on down

Go_Dogs
24-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Naughton - welcome aboard.

Eastdog
24-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Aaron.

Happy to have got a defender. It is a need for us.

chef
Great stuff. Welcome Aaron.

choconmientay
Tomorrow's Heroes - Aaron Naughton

https://youtu.be/nHkxUJO8ZEw

Welcome Naughton. He's now one of us.

choconmientay
24-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Aaron Naughton v Vic Country | 2017 NAB U18 Championships

https://youtu.be/K-wqbCnsKaY

choconmientay
24-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Aaron Naughton highlights - 2017 draft prospect

https://youtu.be/fweo0J5L3VU

The Doctor
24-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Great. Finally we get a top end key defender.

GVGjr
24-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Some might doubt the logic behind a KPP but he's a good selection. Looking forward to hearing Dal and the team enlighten us on Naughton's ability

Go_Dogs
24-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Some might doubt the logic behind a KPP but he's a good selection. Looking forward to hearing Dal and the team enlighten us on Naughton's ability

I’m questioning it from a list balance perspective but if he can end up impacting games as much as Rance that will soon be forgotten. Some work to do with his kicking but adds another interceptor for our back half.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Pretty disappointed to be honest

Dry Rot
24-11-2017, 08:40 PM
How does Naughton compare to Lever?

Remi Moses
24-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Gee way to take the jam out of the donut .Kid hasn’t played a game yet

bulldogtragic
24-11-2017, 08:42 PM
I’m questioning it from a list balance perspective but if he can end up impacting games as much as Rance that will soon be forgotten. Some work to do with his kicking but adds another interceptor for our back half.

We have to rectify it in 11 months. Morris and trade/retire Roberts (and pay his contract out if need be).

Moving into 2019 with Trengove, Cordy, Adams, Collins & Naughton.

comrade
24-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Gee way to take the jam out of the donut .Kid hasn’t played a game yet

Plenty were disappointed with the Bont at pick 4.

bornadog
Key Stats
Height: 194cm
Weight: 85kg
DOB: 30 November, 1999
Position: Defender
Club: Peel Thunder

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/Tomorrows-Heroes-11-Aaron-Naughton-.jpg

GVGjr
How does Naughton compare to Lever?

Hard to say, I'll wait before considering a response

choconmientay
24-11-2017, 09:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPYtAQWUEAAdmzN.jpg

bornadog
24-11-2017, 09:09 PM
wrong thread

GVGjr
24-11-2017, 09:12 PM
I guarantee we have a player who rolls up the sleeves and comes to work each day.

The playing positions will sort themselves out but Naughton will do what he can to make it.

bornadog
24-11-2017, 09:17 PM
I guarantee we have a player who rolls up the sleeves and comes to work each day.

The playing positions will sort themselves out but Naughton will do what he can to make it.

Do you think we are thinking of a different role for him, or just key back.

GVGjr
24-11-2017, 09:20 PM

I think he is a defender but he has footy smarts and could become a forward.

Get behind him, he's got that winning attitude and focus.

Eastdog
24-11-2017, 09:23 PM

Some players start of pre AFL in one position then later transition to another position and become very successful there.

hujsh
24-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Some players start of pre AFL in one position then later transition to another position and become very successful there.

Nope, never happens, I only remember Brian Harris the AA key forward

bornadog
24-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Apparently Lloyd on 3AW having a go at him already about his kicking. The guy is such a goose to bag him already.

bornadog
24-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Simon Dalrymple: "We went for the best player available. Aaron (Naughton) is someone who we see as a hybrid defender who can play on all types and take an intercept mark"

MrMahatma
24-11-2017, 11:30 PM
Top 10 pick on a defender. When did we last do this? Good choice.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-11-2017, 11:34 PM
Naughton is ours and as such I'll back him in, but i do find it odd given our problems both moving the ball into our forward line efficiently and kicking goals not to mention the loss of X factor in our forward line with Stringer's demise that we'd overlook Darcy Fogarty for a key defender with poor kicking skills.
Having said that I hope Aaron has a wonderful career with us and I'll back him 100% to succeed.

GVGjr
24-11-2017, 11:50 PM
He's going to win people over quickly. There are some rough spots in his game but once he gets on top of them we potentially have our next Brian Lake.

KT31
25-11-2017, 12:05 AM
Welcome to the Kennel Aaron.

Rocket Science
25-11-2017, 12:51 AM
Lloyd's still a rolled gold knob but oof, that kicking action.

Priority one has to be eliminating that indiscriminate roost from his repertoire.

divvydan
25-11-2017, 01:20 AM
It's no worse than Josh Dunkley's dad.

Dry Rot
25-11-2017, 01:50 AM
The selection of Naughton says something about Collins, Young, Cordy and Roberts.

Twodogs
25-11-2017, 02:21 AM
Top 10 pick on a defender. When did we last do this? Good choice.

Luke Penny was a number ten pick I think so nearly 20 years ago.

The selection of Naughton says something about Collins, Young, Cordy and Roberts.

I think it just says that we went for best available. His presence on the list may have implications at the end of the season if we decide we have a glut of tall defenders but there's a whole season to go and Collins, Young, Cordy and Roberts might play in different parts of the ground and tie for the Brownlow next season the way things turn out.

Anyway I like Naughton's intercept marking. For a KPP it's excellent. It looks like it might be a good thing we missed out on Lever. He might have just been keeping Aaron out of the side.

jeemak
25-11-2017, 02:24 AM

I think it says something about Morris and Roberts, yes, and Collins maybe. But, we expect a ridiculous amount of output from draftees these days, perhaps because of our effort the two years prior to 2017, and I think Collins is a victim of that. If Collins doesn't take a reasonable step forward this coming year I'll start to be concerned, I'm not expecting him to really flourish until the year after if he ever does.

Naughton looks to be a genuinely built and talented marking defender, who may have a couple of cm's of growth in him yet. Happy with the selection even though it's clear his kicking needs some work. What I do like about his kicking is that it seems proactive, I hope we don't coach that out of him rather than improving his technique as a priority.

Dry Rot
25-11-2017, 02:51 AM
Watching 3 minutes of highlights, Naughton seems to be a very good judge of the ball in the air. That's not too common.

I like that.

S Coast Simon
25-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Very happy with this selection. The kid averaged 14 disposals and 7 marks in the WAFL as a 17 year old kid. Massive upside and looks so much like Lever except might even be more athletic and determined to succeed.

GVGjr
25-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Very happy with this selection. The kid averaged 14 disposals and 7 marks in the WAFL as a 17 year old kid. Massive upside and looks so much like Lever except might even be more athletic and determined to succeed.

He appears to be a bit more physical in his play than Lever but Lever is the better kick. Both are excellent readers of the play backed up by their intercept marking abilities.
It's a good point you raise, he doesn't turn 18 until next week and yet he has already played some senior football. This will be a great base to build from.

At the combine his running vertical jump was in the top 10% at 86cm. He was about mid range for the 3 sprint tests which is good for a 194cm player and his agility and yo-yo tests were very good as well which to me highlights that he can be very competitive when the ball hits the ground. His kicking was the only issue with his testing.

ReLoad
25-11-2017, 09:04 AM
If you are looking for a comparison from a couple of years ago, he is pretty much exactly like Guy mcKenna.

Going to play a big part in our team for a very long time.

bulldogtragic
25-11-2017, 02:18 PM
The West Australian (newspaper)

Defender Aaron Naughton is already targeting a round-one debut after being snapped up by the Western Bulldogs with their first-round pick last night.

Naughton, 18 next week, was the first of 15 WA players taken, at pick nine.

It was the second straight year the Bulldogs used their first pick on a WA product and Naughton was thrilled to be linking up with former State teammate Tim English at the Whitten Oval.

Naughton played seven senior games with Peel this year before being squeezed out of the league side when a host of Fremantle players came flooding back to the aligned club for the finals.

But he felt that taste of senior football and playing under an AFL-like system at Peel had prepared him for an early debut. He has his eyes on the round one clash with Greater Western Sydney in March, but knows he has plenty of work to do.

“I’ve got a big pre-season ahead and hopefully those senior games will put me in good stead to put my hand up for round one,” Naughton said. “I had a big off-season in the gym last year and put on a bit of size. There’s still a bit of size to go, but I’m confident in my body.”

Naughton was in the MCG grandstand to witness the Bulldogs’ drought-breaking 2016 premiership after playing in a curtain-raiser.
“Hopefully they’re back up there and if I can play a part of it then it will be even better,” he said. “I played with Tim (English) last year and we get along really well. “We’re the same sort of personality, so I’m really happy to be there with him. “It always helps knowing someone that’s there already and I know all the boys will be really welcoming.

“My aunty lives out at Warrnambool and she’s a big Doggies fan, so I think she’ll be over the moon.”
Naughton’s fellow under-age All-Australian Oscar Allen was granted his wish when selected by the side he grew up supporting.

hujsh
25-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Take that back you heretic

choconmientay
25-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Aaron's interview in Western Bulldogs colours (http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-11-25/naughton-cant-wait-to-get-stuck-into-it)

Eastdog
25-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Thanks choc you are right up there on WOOF providing us with all the media type stuff.

bulldogtragic
25-11-2017, 06:55 PM
afl.com.au

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' top two draft picks are hoping to help the 2016 premiers shore up their defence next season.

The Dogs selected key position prospect Aaron Naughton with pick no.9 and running half-back Ed Richards with pick no.16 at the NAB AFL Draft, and given both areas were in need of a restock, they loom as handy additions.

With club greats Bob Murphy and Matthew Boyd retiring at the end of last season, and Marcus Adams, Zaine Cordy, Fletcher Roberts and Kieran Collins struggling to support Dale Morris and Easton Wood in the back half in 2017 thanks to a mixture of injuries and form, the Bulldogs will benefit form the arrival of two elite youngsters.

Naughton will link up with former WA teammate Tim English, the Dogs' top pick at last year's draft, at the Kennel.

He told AFL.com.au on Saturday that gaining senior experience last season with Peel Thunder, Fremantle's host club in the WAFL, will help him make an impact next year.

"I felt confident in my ability to match it with the bigger bodies in the WAFL, and playing alongside some of the Freo Dockers boys really helped me," he said.

"I've still got a lot of developing to do, but I can't wait to get started.

"It's unreal to be picked by such a successful club, and to be in Melbourne playing footy in the coming years is a great opportunity."

AFL.com.au draft expert Callum Twomey described Richards as having "class, pace and pizzazz off half-back with his ball use and creativity", but the 18-year-old said he doesn't see himself as a replacement for Murphy or Boyd – not straight away, in any case.

"Those two have left some pretty big shoes to fill so I'll just have to wait and see how next year progresses," Richards said.

"Hopefully I can slot in across half-back, and I'll definitely be aiming to crack into the senior side in my first season, but there's so much hard work to do before that happens."

The grandson of Collingwood legend Ron Richards, and the grand-nephew of Hall of Fame Magpie Lou, the dashing redhead laughed off any family concerns that he didn't join the black and whites.

"We're all just stoked that I'm able to stay in Melbourne, and I'm not sure Collingwood were ever really that keen on me anyway," he said

Rocket Science
25-11-2017, 08:04 PM
After potting his kicking earlier, I might add his competitiveness doesn't look like it'll ever be questioned. Tick.

He also has Roberts' height/frame but is considerably more mobile (and competitive). Tick.

Looks to have the makings of a guy who can play on a variety of mid-tall opponents. Tick, especially for Bevo.

Some polishing to do but he looks a valuable piece of the puzzle.

bornadog
25-11-2017, 08:16 PM
afl.com.au

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' top two draft picks are hoping to help the 2016 premiers shore up their defence next season.

What absolute rubbish, are we going to rely on two 18 year olds. Who writes this stuff.

hujsh
25-11-2017, 08:24 PM
What absolute rubbish, are we going to rely on two 18 year olds. Who writes this stuff.

It says the draft picks are hoping to help next year. I'd be disappointed if they weren't

bornadog
25-11-2017, 08:32 PM
It says the draft picks are hoping to help next year. I'd be disappointed if they weren't

Shore up our defence? I don't think so. Trengove and Crozier certainly will, not two 18 year olds

GVGjr
25-11-2017, 11:46 PM

Are they saying that it's from next season or are you reading that into the comments? They will play some senior football but they aren't ready to play 22 games and nor do we have the spots for them just yet.

I didn't think they are necessarily referring to next season.

choconmientay
26-11-2017, 12:00 AM
Shore up our defence? I don't think so. Trengove and Crozier certainly will, not two 18 year olds

L. Young did it last year. There should be enough motivation for the kids to come in and wanting to help and hope to make an impact. Whether we have some spots for them is remain to be seen.

bornadog
26-11-2017, 12:01 AM
Are they saying that it's from next season or are you reading that into the comments? They will play some senior football but they aren't ready to play 22 games and nor do we have the spots for them just yet.

Well I read the words" Shore up their defence next season" and took it literally. Why not talk about fom next season, or in future

GVGjr
26-11-2017, 12:11 AM
Well I read the words" Shore up their defence next season" and took it literally. Why not talk about fom next season, or in future

We all know they're depth players for next season. The media like to add a bit of mayo.

Twodogs
26-11-2017, 03:50 AM

It couldn't be much more explicit that they meant next season;

Of course it says that Aaron and Ed are the ones hoping to shore up our defence next season not that the club is hoping they can do it. That's OK, Aaron and Ed have just been added to an AFL list. They are more of a chance to shore up our defence than most I guess.

GVGjr
26-11-2017, 07:44 AM
It couldn't be much more explicit that they meant next season;

Of course it says that Aaron and Ed are the ones hoping to shore up our defence next season not that the club is hoping they can do it. That's OK, Aaron and Ed have just been added to an AFL list. They are more of a chance to shore up our defence than most I guess.

I had a look at the article online and it's missing a leading piece of commentary that says "Long-term Bulldogs draftees are seen as replacement for legends". This is not include when you open the article.

I take it as they are seen as long term replacements but either way it doesn't make a lot of difference because we all know they aren't expected to carry the load in 2018. Perhaps Adam Curley could be more specific but I wouldn't read more into it.

Go_Dogs
26-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Looking at Naughty’s video on the club website, I didn’t see a single shot of him kicking the ball!

Twodogs
26-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Looking at Naughty’s video on the club website, I didn’t see a single shot of him kicking the ball!

Scott Wynd kicked the ball once in the last four years of his career. And even then he had to. Rohan Smith found him all alone in the goal square with a beautiful looping handball and there was nobody within 15 metres of him to handball it back to, he simply had to drop the ball on his foot and kick the bloody thing through the goals. He literally had no other choice other than standing there with the ball and waiting to get tackled.

Dancin' Douggy
27-11-2017, 12:43 PM
well...........he reminds me a LOT of Dale Morris.

And Dale Morris even has a similar kicking style.

I was expecting a lot worse (kicking wise) as I prepared to watch his highlights reel.

But he has Dale's low predatory running style, semi hunched over and ready to change direction quickly.
Runs like a desperate hungry Hyena. Fast, tenacious, relentless but never over committed. Not easy to evade or sidestep.
(it used to infuriate me how Richard Osborne used to run FLAT OUT in a straight line to tackle someone, he was the easiest person to sidestep in the history of the AFL/VFL)

Now I know I've just watched a carefully selected highlights package. But his kicks look creative and attacking and generally seemed to go where they were intended.

I'll admit when we had pick 9 and Fogarty was still available i was chanting Fogarty, Fogarty, Fogarty to the radio. Was even looking forward to calling him 'The Velvet Fog'. I felt a wave of disappointment wash over me as Naughton's name was called. Was so hoping for an exciting beast to replace 'The Baggage'.

But now, I have to just hope/presume they've made the right call and Naughton becomes a star.

bornadog
30-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Hard to believe turns 18 today

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP2GcOdVAAYDne4.jpg

The Underdog
30-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Hard to believe turns 18 today

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP2GcOdVAAYDne4.jpg

It seems like only yesterday that he was 17 and like only 2 weeks ago that I had no idea who he was.

GVGjr
03-12-2017, 07:04 PM
How many games do you think Naughton might play next season? I'd have him down for just 6 or 7.

It's going to be interesting to see how we managed the surplus of taller defenders.

boydogs
03-12-2017, 07:08 PM
How many games do you think Naughton might play next season? I'd have him down for just 6 or 7.

It's going to be interesting to see how we managed the surplus of taller defenders.

1 at most unless we're out of the running for finals before the end of the season

He was 17 when drafted, he might be more physically developed than most but so was Kieran Collins

bulldogtragic
03-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Maybe 3 or 4 if injuries hit us a bit.

Cordy, Adams, Morris, Wood, Collins, Young & Roberts should be sufficient. I've no problems with him learning his craft within our game style and game plan at VFL level. If his form needs to be rewarded that's a great outcome also.

Rocco Jones
03-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Hard to tell. The fact he is more athletic and intercept mark type means he is probably more AFL ready, unlike a traditional KP. If he tears it up in the VFL, age is a number.

GVGjr
03-12-2017, 07:20 PM
1 at most unless we're out of the running for finals before the end of the season

He was 17 when drafted, he might be more physically developed than most but so was Kieran Collins

He might even be tried forward. I get the point you have made, Hamilton had played senior football in the SANFL but never looked capable of making it at the AFL. I just think if Naughton gets through the early part of the season without injuries we will be looking to introduce him into the side. I think the difference between he and Collins is that Naughton is further advanced with his ability to read the game and take marks and that should be his points of difference

GVGjr
03-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Hard to tell. The fact he is more athletic and intercept mark type means he is probably more AFL ready, unlike a traditional KP. If he tears it up in the VFL, age is a number.

I started my response before I read your reply. That's how I see it.

Bulldog Joe
03-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Naughton already has form against men in the WAFL and I think that is important particularly for a taller player.

There are obviously a few competing for the spots, but he looks well ahead of where Lewis Young was at this point last year.

Injury permitting Naughton could easily chalk up 6 to 10 games. It will be interesting to see how his body holds up to the AFL level intensity.

Ghost Dog
04-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Massive arms. Love the look of him. Just always worry a bit about WA recruits and the homesickness factor. But he can always go to Warrnambool. Like the fact he's played with English.

kruder
04-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Young and Naughton play a similar role and you would expect Young to be ahead at this stage but like a number of our defenders is yet to become a lock for best 22. For mine only Adams and Wood are best 22 at this stage I could see Morris, Cordy Roberts, Trengove and Young all out of the side at stages so I think Naughton will get his chance, I'd say 4-5 games is my estimate.

Dry Rot
04-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Is the first question to ask, how we will handle Morris?

Does he play all games if available or do we rest him regularly, not travel interstate etc?

If the latter, I see opportunities for Naughton.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Is the first question to ask, how we will handle Morris?

Does he play all games if available or do we rest him regularly, not travel interstate etc?

If the latter, I see opportunities for Naughton.

No way that Morris plays all games.

Reality is it has to come down to form. Morris looked to be slowing last season, but he was still able to contribute.

I'd earmark around 15 games for Moz.

bornadog
06-12-2017, 12:30 PM
No way that Morris plays all games.

Reality is it has to come down to form. Morris looked to be slowing last season, but he was still able to contribute.

I'd earmark around 15 games for Moz.

Agree

We need Moz to mentor and help the young defenders for another year and that is it.

bornadog
20-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Aaron to make his debut Sunday v GWS - all the best.

GVGjr
20-03-2018, 10:19 PM
There was a bit of conjecture that he wasn't the right player for us but I'm genuinely excited by this debut.
Lets hope Naughty has a great game

Twodogs
20-03-2018, 11:41 PM
There was a bit of conjecture that he wasn't the right player for us but I'm genuinely excited by this debut.
Lets hope Naughty has a great game

There's his nickname! I was starting to get worried that he would have to debut before we could devise a nickname for him. Well done Gary.

And well done to Naughty as well on your selection. I hope you have a great debut.

westdog54
09-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Is there a tech-savvy poster out there that can make a GIF of Naughton's dummy in the second quarter yesterday?

Sent three forwards AND the cameraman in the wrong direction.

19 year olds shouldn't be able to do that.

bornadog
09-04-2018, 11:43 PM
Is there a tech-savvy poster out there that can make a GIF of Naughton's dummy in the second quarter yesterday?

Sent three forwards AND the cameraman in the wrong direction.

19 year olds shouldn't be able to do that.

He is only 18, won't be 19 till 30 November.

Mofra
10-04-2018, 10:24 AM
I was more impressed at the way he watches the ball off the boot in the second half. Just sees it before anyone else. Will be an intercept marking beast in time.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2018, 02:20 PM
I was more impressed at the way he watches the ball off the boot in the second half. Just sees it before anyone else. Will be an intercept marking beast in time.

Agree 100% I also noticed this too. His ability to read where the ball is going is first class. His reaction was well ahead of those around him. This is almost impossible to teach as it is such an innate skill.

AndrewP6
10-04-2018, 03:59 PM
There's his nickname! I was starting to get worried that he would have to debut before we could devise a nickname for him. Well done Gary.

And well done to Naughty as well on your selection. I hope you have a great debut.

Dunno, Bevo was calling him "Ed" repeatedly in the presser. 😅😅😅

Bulldog4life
12-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Dunno, Bevo was calling him "Ed" repeatedly in the presser. ������

Reckon Bevo was thinking of Ed Norton from Jackie Gleeson's The Honeymooners.

The Underdog
12-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Reckon Bevo was thinking of Ed Norton from Jackie Gleeson's The Honeymooners.

Or potentially the famous actor of the last 20 odd years from Fight Club, Hulk, American History X, ad infinitum
I’m not sure too many people are picking up Honeymooners references anymore :)

Bulldog4life
12-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Or potentially the famous actor of the last 20 odd years from Fight Club, Hulk, American History X, ad infinitum
I’m not sure too many people are picking up Honeymooners references anymore :)

True....showing my age.:)

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 03:52 PM
True....showing my age.:)

I dunno. I reckon that Bevo was as likely to have watched a Honeymooners episode as he was likely to have seen a Hollywood blockbuster.

You'd never be able to use a line like "one of these days Alice... pow right in the kisser" anymore it seems like another world.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2018, 04:45 PM
I dunno. I reckon that Bevo was as likely to have watched a Honeymooners episode as he was likely to have seen a Hollywood blockbuster.

You'd never be able to use a line like "one of these days Alice... pow right in the kisser" anymore it seems like another world.

And away we go!

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 05:09 PM
And away we go!

To the moon Alice!

There's a for instance of what I was saying. When the show was made we still hadn't been to the moon.

boydogs
13-04-2018, 01:25 AM
Or potentially the famous actor of the last 20 odd years from Fight Club

Bevo mentioned Fight Club after he said it

LostDoggy
17-04-2018, 11:43 PM
In the Coaches votes, one of the coaching groups rated Naughton the 2nd best player on theground in this weeks Swans game. Huge praise as most didn't include him in the best players. Would be interesting to know if it was our coaches or Swans that rated him so highly.

bornadog
17-04-2018, 11:51 PM
In the Coaches votes, one of the coaching groups rated Naughton the 2nd best player on theground in this weeks Swans game. Huge praise as most didn't include him in the best players. Would be interesting to know if it was our coaches or Swans that rated him so highly.

I only just saw that myself, well done to the young bloke

AFLCA Votes – Round 4

Isaac Heeney

Jack Macrae

Aaron Naughton

Luke Parker

Dane Rampe

Lance Franklin

Toby McLean

Matthew Suckling

Bailey Williams

ratsmac
18-04-2018, 01:33 AM

Yeah Longmire must have had him BOG because of those pin point passes he did to the swans players!!

Nah serious he was pretty good overall and played an important role dropping in front of Franklin. Pretty daunting stuff, more so for an 18 yeayear old.

Axe Man
18-04-2018, 10:49 AM
I only just saw that myself, well done to the young bloke

AFLCA Votes – Round 4

Isaac Heeney

Jack Macrae

Aaron Naughton

Luke Parker

Dane Rampe

Lance Franklin

Toby McLean

Matthew Suckling

Bailey Williams

Was really strange voting from the coaches, Heeney was the only player to feature in both Bevo and Horse's votes. Macrae got best on from one coach and nothing from the other. Parker also stiff to miss out completely from one coach.

The Adelaide Connection
18-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Yeah Longmire must have had him BOG because of those pin point passes he did to the swans players!!

Nah serious he was pretty good overall and played an important role dropping in front of Franklin. Pretty daunting stuff, more so for an 18 yeayear old.

As good as he has been, is he in line for a rest this week if the weather turns foul? Missing a tough, wet slog (and Perth road trip) would be a significant freshen up.

After this week we have a very winnable six game stretch that takes us to the bye (Carlton, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide, Collingwood, and Melbourne). All of those games aside Adelaide (A) are at Etihad. Surprisingly, the toughest game here looks like the Collingwood one at the moment.

Young was apparently best on or close to it for Footscray (in the wet, windy conditions), it is probably as good a time as any to put him on ice for a week.

The Underdog
18-04-2018, 11:32 AM
As good as he has been, is he in line for a rest this week if the weather turns foul? Missing a tough, wet slog (and Perth road trip) would be a significant freshen up.

After this week we have a very winnable six game stretch that takes us to the bye (Carlton, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide, Collingwood, and Melbourne). All of those games aside Adelaide (A) are at Etihad. Surprisingly, the toughest game here looks like the Collingwood one at the moment.

Young was apparently best on or close to it for Footscray (in the wet, windy conditions), it is probably as good a time as any to put him on ice for a week.

Given he’s from WA and that this is our first trip there, I’d be astounded if he was rested rather than heading over to play in front of friends and family.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-04-2018, 12:10 PM
I like Aaron, but his kicking disturbs me. Fix this and he can become elite.

The Adelaide Connection
18-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Given he’s from WA and that this is our first trip there, I’d be astounded if he was rested rather than heading over to play in front of friends and family.

Yeah, good point. I forgot he was from WA.

Mantis
18-04-2018, 02:20 PM

I would've went for 'frustrates', but maybe that's just me.

Happy Days
18-04-2018, 02:27 PM

I'm not so sure its as terrible as we all thought. His action remains hideous, and it will always cause his mistakes to seem incredibly bad, but aside from his one horrible error it's holding up pretty well.

He definitely makes BOLD decisions which can lead to error, which probably multiplies the perception. He's almost like if Daniel Talia had Matt Suckling's brain.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-04-2018, 04:42 PM
What gives me hope is that Rance didn't hit a target for about 4 years and still turned out OK and there's some great similarities between him and Naughton.

bornadog
18-04-2018, 05:28 PM
What gives me hope is that Rance didn't hit a target for about 4 years and still turned out OK and there's some great similarities between him and Naughton.

Naughton and Cordy need to stick to kicking with their preferred foot.

Twodogs
18-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Naughton and Cordy need to stick to kicking with the right foot.

That's just it though. Every opponent will know that and force them onto their left foot. Sometimes you get no choice about what foot you kick the ball with.

bornadog
18-04-2018, 05:37 PM
That's just it though. Every opponent will know that and force them onto their left foot. Sometimes you get no choice about what foot you kick the ball with.

Look at Suckling, brilliant left footer but can't kick right. I know what you mean, but some of those left passes over the last few weeks resulted in damaging turnovers.

hujsh
18-04-2018, 05:43 PM
Look at Suckling, brilliant left footer but can't kick right. I know what you mean, but some of those left passes over the last few weeks resulted in damaging turnovers.
He's gotten a bit better recently hasn't he? Macrae definitely has.

Twodogs
18-04-2018, 06:01 PM

Suckling is experienced enough to not often get trapped on his right foot. Hopefully it will come with Cordy and Naughton too. Both are fairly natural footballers so it should.

It's a bit different to when I was a kid. Being a left footer you could just pick the ball up and turn on the opposite side to the right footer and it would get your opponent every time. "Oh geez I didn't expect him to turn that way. It's what he's done every other time he's got the ball but it still gets me in" I didn't get the ball a lot so it gave them plenty of time to forget I guess!

Ozza
18-04-2018, 10:31 PM
Naughton and Cordy need to stick to kicking with the right foot.

I assume you mean ‘stick to kicking with their preferred foot’ - as Naughton is a left footer, and Cordy a right footer.

westdog54
18-04-2018, 11:33 PM

If you watch the Daniher-McLean Tri-call you will see that this is a fallacy.

Sedat
18-04-2018, 11:36 PM
He can't kick left when shooting for goal either ;)

bornadog
18-04-2018, 11:52 PM
I assume you mean ‘stick to kicking with their preferred foot’ - as Naughton is a left footer, and Cordy a right footer.

Sorry my bad.

bornadog
18-04-2018, 11:57 PM
If you watch the Daniher-McLean Tri-call you will see that this is a fallacy.

Not sure what I am looking at?

hujsh
19-04-2018, 12:09 AM
Not sure what I am looking at?

Kicks a good right foot kick at the start before Daniher takes the mark

GVGjr
19-04-2018, 07:19 AM
He's showing all the signs of being a very good player for us. He judges the ball in the air so well and has quickly settled into our backline.

He's quirky with his kicking but if we can improve that a bit over time then it's an exciting future ahead

Ozza
19-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Naughton is going very well.

With respect to his kicking - I see it very much like Dale Morris. When he first began playing for the Dogs - Morris was an awful kick, but he very quickly adapted to his limitations in that area, and became very reliable because he would take the first safe option available on his preferred foot, or via hand. I can’t even picture Dale using his left foot - he just doesn’t have the need. I think it has been a combination of him being very quick to identify the first safe option - and also his team mates knowing him so well in terms of seeing when he is about to win a contest/intercept mark and being that option for him. Due to this, Dale has been really reliable for a long time now.

Bulldog Revolution
19-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Naughton and Cordy need to stick to kicking with their preferred foot.

I don't agree here BAD - both need to be able to go off either foot so we can get the play moving again after they intercept mark, and to switch the play.

The one howler Naughton had on the weekend that cost us a goal, was largely because he tried to come back on to his dominant leg instead of backing himself

Now, he clearly he needs to keep working on his kicking, but like Cordy, its probably never going to look classical, even if it is effective.

Ozza
19-04-2018, 11:19 AM
I don't agree here BAD - both need to be able to go off either foot so we can get the play moving again after they intercept mark, and to switch the play.

The one howler Naughton had on the weekend that cost us a goal, was largely because he tried to come back on to his dominant leg instead of backing himself

Now, he clearly he needs to keep working on his kicking, but like Cordy, its probably never going to look classical, even if it is effective.

Yeah I tend to agree with this.

My heart is in my mouth when Cordy goes onto the left - but aside from the howler v West Coast (which was actually an ‘unneccessary Left’) he is usually ugly but reliable. An absolutely Naughton’s error on the weekend was that he tried to get around to the left and by the time he kicked it the option had been closed down.

The players will make costly errors with their non-preferred from time to time - but I think the bigger picture is that they have to keep using both sides of their body.

bornadog
19-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Yeah I tend to agree with this.

My heart is in my mouth when Cordy goes onto the left - but aside from the howler v West Coast (which was actually an ‘unneccessary Left’) he is usually ugly but reliable. An absolutely Naughton’s error on the weekend was that he tried to get around to the left and by the time he kicked it the option had been closed down.

The players will make costly errors with their non-preferred from time to time - but I think the bigger picture is that they have to keep using both sides of their body.

I agree both players need to work on their skills so they can kick on both sides, however, until they get it right, try and avoid it.

Naughton is only 18, and will make mistakes, one of his issues is hesitating before he makes a decision. The example you give above, (or could be another one), he hesitated for a second, and should have gone with the first option, and then got caught holding the ball.

I have been impressed by him overall and looking forward to Naughton and Young holding down defense for many years to come.

Mofra
19-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Cordy on his preferred is ugly but quite effective - not many other players would have kicked that first goal in the GF but I was confident Cordy would nail it.

His 1-2 turnovers per game are hopefully outweighed by his many intercept marks per game. I can't recall such a young player reading it so well off the boot. Ever.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2018, 07:49 PM
We've recently been in the habit of re-signing highly talented top picks in their first year. Any wonder why we haven't got his signature as yet?

Happy Days
12-06-2018, 08:12 PM
We've recently been in the habit of re-signing highly talented top picks in their first year. Any wonder why we haven't got his signature as yet?

Because, as a tall defender from WA, he is obviously going to walk out on the club to try and get to Freo.

Personally I can't wait to straight swap him for Adam Cerra at the end of 2019.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2018, 08:20 PM
Because, as a tall defender from WA, he is obviously going to walk out on the club to try and get to Freo.

Personally I can't wait to straight swap him for Adam Cerra at the end of 2019.

He doesn't want to live in a WA or play at Freo. He said that last year. He said he wanted to get drafted and play for Collingwood.

Edit:

"At the AFL draft next week 17-year-old Rockingham defender Aaron Naughton will be among those predicted to go in the top 10.

But the talent, who is already being compared to the Eagles’ All-Australian star Jeremy McGovern, has a message for the Fremantle Dockers.

‘Let me go to Collingwood’.

Considered a ready-made AFL defender, experts have been suggesting that Freo would attempt to snap up the youngster with pick five.

But Naughton, who is born in Victoria, has his sights on Collingwood at pick six.

“For me personally I think Melbourne, being the home of footy and playing for the biggest club in Australia, that'd be the way to go for me,” he said."

Happy Days
12-06-2018, 08:23 PM
He doesn't want to live in a WA or play at Freo. He said that last year. He said he wanted to get drafted and play for Collingwood.

Straight swap for Stephenson then - even better.

Twodogs
13-06-2018, 02:21 AM
Where's Rockimgham?

Daughter of the West
13-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Where's Rockimgham?

Outer suburban Perth - down south. With my limited knowledge, I get the impression that it is Frankston-esque...

Twodogs
14-06-2018, 01:04 AM
Outer suburban Perth - down south. With my limited knowledge, I get the impression that it is Frankston-esque...

Thanks for that.

mjp
14-06-2018, 10:44 AM
I guess Rockingham is suburban these days...that is a bit of a stretch though. It is suburban in that urban sprawl has nearly connected it to the sea of houses from there to the city but...

It was originally a fishing destination/escape that sprung up south of the Kwinana industrial area/port (think B.P, Coal power station and lower working class) but now there are houses there valued at $2million +. It is quite pretty but the industrial area is very visible from the foreshore on the western side (though not so much from 'around the point')...Even with the freeway extension it is 40 mins from the City which in Perth traffic would mean a 90+ minute commute each way...

The cliche's are all about unemployment, ugg boots, bad tattoos (particularly of the post-code which is 6169) and drugs...the reality - like most realities I guess - is a fair bit different in 2018.

Twodogs
14-06-2018, 10:51 AM
I guess Rockingham is suburban these days...that is a bit of a stretch though. It is suburban in that urban sprawl has nearly connected it to the sea of houses from there to the city but...

It was originally a fishing destination/escape that sprung up south of the Kwinana industrial area/port (think B.P, Coal power station and lower working class) but now there are houses there valued at $2million +. It is quite pretty but the industrial area is very visible from the foreshore on the western side (though not so much from 'around the point')...Even with the freeway extension it is 40 mins from the City which in Perth traffic would mean a 90+ minute commute each way...

The cliche's are all about unemployment, ugg boots, bad tattoos (particularly of the post-code which is 6169) and drugs...the reality - like most realities I guess - is a fair bit different in 2018.

So it's a bit like Werribee then? Out of the city and with beaches and bogans? Although the postcode tattoo thing is more of a Braybrook happening. They live their postcode tattooed on their neck, I guess it helps them find their way home?

azabob
14-06-2018, 10:57 AM
BT is the man!!! Well done on getting the extension done in under 24 hours.

Extended till end of 2020.

comrade
14-06-2018, 10:57 AM

Just announced. Locked away until end of 2020.

bulldogtragic
14-06-2018, 11:52 AM
BT is the man!!! Well done on getting the extension done in under 24 hours.

Extended till end of 2020.

When I talk. They listen.

jeemak
14-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Great news......much needed great news.

Now we need to get on the front foot with a Bont extension, a few key signings showing all and sundry players want to play with us long term before the year is out will help our post season efforts.

Mantis
14-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Should I be concerned that he only extended by 1 year?

Looks a very good propsect so looking forward to watching him develop in the R,W&B.

bulldogtragic
14-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Should I be concerned that he only extended by 1 year?

Looks a very good propsect so looking forward to watching him develop in the R,W&B.

A little bit. We are throwing two year contracts at anyone at the minute, especially young top draftees. My guess is that he was waiting to see if he could push his value up by waiting a bit longer this year. Perhaps he wants only one year to push the dollar value up on a fourth year onwards contract. Which is unusual for a draftee, but that's my guess.

jeemak
14-06-2018, 02:50 PM
If he was thinking of leaving or concerned about the club in any way why would he have extended at all?

G-Mo77
14-06-2018, 03:09 PM
If he was thinking of leaving or concerned about the club in any way why would he have extended at all?

By not committing long term he's backing in on a big cash grab at 2020. It's great that he's signed on with us for another year, I just hope he wants to continue with us when an AFL backed, cashed up Gold Coast throw their bank balance at him.

jeemak
14-06-2018, 03:19 PM
By not committing long term he's backing in on a big cash grab at 2020. It's great that he's signed on with us for another year, I just hope he wants to continue with us when an AFL backed, cashed up Gold Coast throw their bank balance at him.

Do we know an offer beyond 2020 was put on the table and refused?

bornadog
14-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Do we know an offer beyond 2020 was put on the table and refused?

Plus why would we commit beyond 2020 with a current 18 year old kid. Who knows what happens in 2.5 years time.

Happy Days
14-06-2018, 04:10 PM
Aren't one-year extensions in the first year of a two-year deal standard practice for players we rate?

This is very encouraging.

bulldogtragic
14-06-2018, 04:10 PM
Plus why would we commit beyond 2020 with a current 18 year old kid. Who knows what happens in 2.5 years time.

I guess Richards thinks otherwise.

bornadog
14-06-2018, 04:42 PM
I guess Richards thinks otherwise.

Forgot about that. :o

G-Mo77
14-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Aren't one-year extensions in the first year of a two-year deal standard practice for players we rate?

This is very encouraging.

Richards signed for 2. I remember English signing for 2. I'd have to go back and have a look what our others have signed for but think most were 2 year extensions.

bornadog
26-06-2018, 04:46 PM
The Bont has hit the nail on the head, Naughton is a natural footballer.

I wonder if he stays forward this week or goes back again?

Twodogs
26-06-2018, 06:12 PM
The Bont has hit the nail on the head, Naughton is a natural footballer.

I wonder if he stays forward this week or goes back again?

Bont must read my stuff.

Suckling is experienced enough to not often get trapped on his right foot. Hopefully it will come with Cordy and Naughton too. Both are fairly natural footballers so it should.

Grantysghost
26-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Still can't get a rising star nomination. Paddy Dow from Carlton was this rounds nomination. If I'm being cynical I'd suggest it's because he's out for the season and they want to make sure he gets one. Surely Aaron is close.

azabob
26-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Aaron Naughton is the second most important signature behind Marcus Bontempelli to get.

Hopefully we can extend him again next year.

GVGjr
26-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Still can't get a rising star nomination. Paddy Dow from Carlton was this rounds nomination. If I'm being cynical I'd suggest it's because he's out for the season and they want to make sure he gets one. Surely Aaron is close.

Fully agree, he's played better football than Dow all season and should have had a nomination

westdog54
27-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Fully agree, he's played better football than Dow all season and should have had a nomination

I'm also impatiently waiting for English to return so that he can get the nomination he earned before he was injured as well.

Mofra
27-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Aaron Naughton is the second most important signature behind Marcus Bontempelli to get.

Hopefully we can extend him again next year.
Toby McLean, I'm a huge fan.

azabob
27-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Toby McLean, I'm a huge fan.

Danger of taking the thread off track but good call. He just keeps improving year on year, week by week, game by game.

He has that hard edge with a mix of skill.

bornadog
07-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Bulldogs' 'shock' move isn't for nought (http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/16/bl-v-carl)

AARON Naughton was left stunned when thrown forward by the versatility-demanding Luke Beveridge in recent weeks, but the impressive Western Bulldogs draftee is embracing the challenge.

Naughton has spent most of his career playing as an intercepting key defender, and made his debut for the Bulldogs in that role in round one.

An ankle injury in round eight ended his eye-catching stint down back, because when he returned from a month on the sidelines, Beveridge had other ideas for the 18-year-old.

"I wasn't too sure what was going to happen when I can back from the injury, but I was shocked when I was pushed forward in a drill at training," Naughton told AFL.com.au.

"I thought I was just making up the numbers, and then after training Bevo told me I would be playing forward.
"He said I just needed to provide a contest, bring my work rate and try and take a few marks.
"It's a new role, but very exciting and I'm learning a lot.

"I played more games a defender thus far in my career, so I'll have to wait a while until I can class myself as a key forward."

A two-goal haul in round 14 against North Melbourne was encouraging, and the experiment has also coincided with customary stopper Zaine Cordy reprising a role in attack he performed so importantly during the club's premiership season of 2016.

The successful return of key defenders Dale Morris and Marcus Adams from injury is likely see Beveridge persist with the duo in attack.

Kicking was one of the few question marks over Naughton heading into last year's NAB AFL Draft, but the perceived flaw didn't stop the Dogs from pouncing on the West Australian with pick nine.

Plenty of time on the training track with development manager Rohan Smith has paid dividends, with a once wonky ball drop now more refined.

"My kicking was the main knock on me coming into the draft, and it was something I needed to improve on a bit, but I think the standard of training here at the Dogs has improved it," Naughton said.

Axe Man
16-07-2018, 04:28 PM
Team of the Week nod for Naughts (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-07-16/team-of-the-week-nod-for-naughts)

A team-high 10 one-percenters against Melbourne on Saturday has earnt first year defender Aaron Naughton his first ever selection in the AFL’s Official Player Ratings team of the week.

In his 12th career game after being taken with the Bulldogs’ first pick in the 2017 NAB AFL National Draft, Naughton began the game forward before being switched down back in the second half.

He collected a career-high 18 disposals, took four marks and provided drive out of the backline with four rebound 50s in the 50-point loss.

The Official AFL Player Ratings (OAPR) are calculated differently to AFL Fantasy scores.

Whereas AFL Fantasy scores take into account how many times a player receives and disposes of the ball, how many scores he registers and whether he wins or gives away free kicks, OAPR consider a whole range of other factors.

These include where the player was on the field when he received the ball, whether the player was under pressure and whether his disposal advantaged his team or led to a score.

Remi Moses
19-07-2018, 02:23 PM
After all that and still no rising star nom

bornadog
03-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Very Funny Pocket profile here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-02/pocket-profile-aaron-naughton)

bornadog
05-05-2019, 03:56 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5uT5_eU0AIAn8P.jpg:large

Twodogs
05-08-2019, 01:17 AM
I know that we already have a nickname for Naughty but I've just watched the first episode of the Les Norton series and from now on I'm going to go with Les as his nickname.

I'm a great fan of a player having a public nickname that the general public uses and a club nickname that everyone around the club uses and Les is a great nickname I reckon.

azabob
06-08-2019, 10:13 PM
I know that we already have a nickname for Naughty but I've just watched the first episode of the Les Norton series and from now on I'm going to go with Les as his nickname.

I'm a great fan of a player having a public nickname that the general public uses and a club nickname that everyone around the club uses and Les is a great nickname I reckon.

No idea why, but I actually agree with this.

I second your motion...

comrade
08-08-2019, 03:34 PM
Astro is a terrible nickname, IMO.

I prefer Jugga.

bornadog
19-08-2019, 06:23 PM
Teenagers to take 50+ contested marks in a season (stat first recorded in 1999)

1999 - Lance Whitnall
2002 - Nick Riewoldt
2019 - AARON NAUGHTON

Twodogs
19-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Astro is a terrible nickname, IMO.

I prefer Jugga.

Les. I like Les.

Twodogs
19-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Teenagers to take 50+ contested marks in a season (stat first recorded in 1999)

1999 - Lance Whitnall
2002 - Nick Riewoldt
2019 - AARON NAUGHTON

According to https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/K/Kelvin_Templeton.html Kelvin Templeton took 233 marks before he turned 20. How many of them do you reckon were contested? How many do you reckon came with a bonus punch in the back of the head or a smack around the ear? Chris Grant took 410 marks in his teens but Chris would lead his opponent under the ball and then duck back and took the mark or just outrun his fullback. KT played 49 games in his teens and Chris played 59.

Naughton is the most exciting KPD prospect I have seen since KT.

ledge
19-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Les. I like Les.

buzz ?

ledge
19-08-2019, 10:17 PM
Browny( on the couch) just showed the clip of Naughton mark and stare down on Davis , has said all year he will be a gun , absolutely loves him.

Twodogs
19-08-2019, 10:21 PM
buzz ?

Les Norton on the ABC at 8.30 on Sundays. It's the funniest show on TV at the moment.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2019, 10:26 PM
I like 'Aaron'.

Twodogs
19-08-2019, 10:28 PM
I like 'Aaron'.

But it's not really a nickname though, is it?

bulldogtragic
19-08-2019, 10:33 PM
But it's not really a nickname though, is it?

No. But the really good players don't need them. So I think I'll just keep on calling Aaron.

ledge
19-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Les Norton on the ABC at 8.30 on Sundays. It's the funniest show on TV at the moment.

I was thinking buzz aldrin/ lightyear.

Twodogs
19-08-2019, 11:11 PM
I was thinking buzz aldrin/ lightyear.

He does look like him.

azabob
20-08-2019, 07:09 AM
I like 'Aaron'.

Thanks “BT”, I like you too.

Mofra
20-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Browny( on the couch) just showed the clip of Naughton mark and stare down on Davis , has said all year he will be a gun , absolutely loves him.
He does puff the chest out a bit when he takes a good grab. We really need a bit of swagger in the F50 and Naughts provides that.

The Underdog
20-08-2019, 11:56 AM
He does puff the chest out a bit when he takes a good grab. We really need a bit of swagger in the F50 and Naughts provides that.

That mark would have been way sexier if he’d kicked the goal though....

Happy Days
20-08-2019, 01:32 PM
That mark would have been way sexier if he’d kicked the goal though....

-5 literal points for missing the goal, +100 figurative points for putting grizzled young veteran Phil Davis on his arse and in his place.

Bulldog4life
20-08-2019, 02:05 PM
I like Naughty as a nick name. What young guy wouldn't like to be called Naughty.

Vred
15-11-2019, 09:21 AM
I've spent the first half of this offseason re-watching all our games. After doing so I am 100% confident that I never, ever want to see Aaron play down the back ever again, I think in all my years of football watching he clearly has what it takes to be one of, if not, the best forward that has graced the red white and blue.

I also never want to see him in any other teams colors.

What a pick up this kid has been and to think how young he still is. Bring on 2020

Bulldog4life
16-11-2019, 06:05 PM
I've spent the first half of this offseason re-watching all our games. After doing so I am 100% confident that I never, ever want to see Aaron play down the back ever again, I think in all my years of football watching he clearly has what it takes to be one of, if not, the best forward that has graced the red white and blue.

I also never want to see him in any other teams colors.

What a pick up this kid has been and to think how young he still is. Bring on 2020

Yes he is great to watch. When you consider this pre season will be the very first time in his short career training with the forwards the sky's the limit for Naughty.

Go_Dogs
16-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Sending him forward was a master stroke. Can't wait to see him after a preseason in the position.

bornadog
16-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Sending him forward was a master stroke. Can't wait to see him after a preseason in the position.

How many supporters canned Bevo at the start of the year? #inbevowetrust

G-Mo77
16-11-2019, 07:48 PM
How many supporters canned Bevo at the start of the year? #inbevowetrust

I'll put my hand up. We still left a massive hole where he would have been to do it but we grew as a team defensively and got away with playing shorter lineups at times. It's still a huge hole that we need to fill now, hopefully Keath helps out there when healthy.

bornadog
16-11-2019, 07:51 PM
I'll put my hand up. We still left a massive hole where he would have been to do it but we grew as a team defensively and got away with playing shorter lineups at times. It's still a huge hole that we need to fill now, hopefully Keath helps out there when healthy.

Yes we were all wondering what Bevo was doing including me.

I think playing forward is harder than playing back, and Aaron at 19 years of age did pretty well. Mind you as an 18 year old backman he wasn't bad either. We have a ripper on our hands

azabob
16-11-2019, 08:27 PM
He has too much swagger for down back.

Dancin' Douggy
16-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Isn't it great, as a bulldog supporter to see some luck finally go our way. It seems decades and decades went by where the ball bounced the wrong way at crucial moments in big games. Unbelievable, unjust, nay, CRIMINAL free kicks cost us final, after final, after final. Dubious goal umpire calls. Jaw dropping deliberate out of bounds calls. Enraging and perplexing ruck infringement calls.....Other teams would repeatedly kick the whackiest most implausible goals, goals that wouldn't be believable even in the trashiest Hollywood plot lines. While we'd hit the post 4 times in a row, from dead in front.
Chris Grant missing the Brownlow because of that *&%&%$# Ian Collins whom I still haven't forgiven .........
That non entity Shane Woewoedin stealing the Brownlow from Westy with a truly average performance etc etc etc.
And to top it all off we would just stink it up in the draft, year after year. And trade in goofballs like Kingsley Hunter and Aaron......umm I can't even be bothered remembering his second name.

Now.......ever since Tom Boyd's big bomb in the grand final bounced through............. the kind of goal that NEVER bounces through for us, the cruel eye of ill fortune has swung it's evil, piercing, leering stare away from us. We are out of the shadow. We are walking in sunshine.

NOW. We have the Saints taking Billings before Bont. (generally considered the number 1 pick if the draft were held again now)*
*(I realise this was before the flag, but nevertheless, the tide must have been turning)

NOW. We win the flag and end up with pick 19 as our first pick...........and we pick Tim English. I've looked at that draft year again. I wouldn't trade him right now for anyone picked before him.

NOW. We have Bailey Smith landing with us at pick six (future drafts will revise him to be the number 1. Mark my words)

NOW. We have J.U.H. Landing in our laps. Top 5??? At least????

AND, of course the man in question Aaron Naughton......I mean.......will he be considered, in the future, to be the revised number 1 pick from his draft year.......... a once in a generation forward cunningly concealed in defenders clothing???
I know I wouldn't trade him right now for anyone picked before him.

The little wink after plucking another contested mark against the Tigers...... The death stare to that GWS pretty boy with the pink boots after humiliating him in a marking contest. He's fricken 19 years old!!!

I am so excited about our crop of youngsters I just can't wait for the year to start.

bornadog
16-11-2019, 09:37 PM
AND, of course the man in question Aaron Naughton......I mean.......will he be considered, in the future, to be the revised number 1 pick from his draft year.......... a once in a generation forward cunningly concealed in defenders clothing???
I know I wouldn't trade him right now for anyone picked before him. .

The Draft that Year - some pretty good players

Games to date

Brisbane
Cameron Rayner

Fremantle
Andrew Brayshaw

Carlton
Paddy Dow

North Melbourne
Luke Davies-Uniacke

Fremantle
Adam Cerra

Collingwood
Jaidyn Stephenson

St Kilda
Hunter Clark

St Kilda
Nicholas Coffield

Western Bulldogs
Aaron Naughton

Carlton
Lochie O'Brien

Where would you rank him now? I think at least top 5

Mind you Tim Kelly was taken at 24, and James Worpel at 45

Twodogs
16-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Isn't it great, as a bulldog supporter to see some luck finally go our way. It seems decades and decades went by where the ball bounced the wrong way at crucial moments in big games. Unbelievable, unjust, nay, CRIMINAL free kicks cost us final, after final, after final. Dubious goal umpire calls. Jaw dropping deliberate out of bounds calls. Enraging and perplexing ruck infringement calls.....Other teams would repeatedly kick the whackiest most implausible goals, goals that wouldn't be believable even in the trashiest Hollywood plot lines. While we'd hit the post 4 times in a row, from dead in front.
Chris Grant missing the Brownlow because of that *&%&%$# Ian Collins whom I still haven't forgiven .........
That non entity Shane Woewoedin stealing the Brownlow from Westy with a truly average performance etc etc etc.
And to top it all off we would just stink it up in the draft, year after year. And trade in goofballs like Kingsley Hunter and Aaron......umm I can't even be bothered remembering his second name.

Now.......ever since Tom Boyd's big bomb in the grand final bounced through............. the kind of goal that NEVER bounces through for us, the cruel eye of ill fortune has swung it's evil, piercing, leering stare away from us. We are out of the shadow. We are walking in sunshine.

NOW. We have the Saints taking Billings before Bont. (generally considered the number 1 pick if the draft were held again now)*
*(I realise this was before the flag, but nevertheless, the tide must have been turning)

NOW. We win the flag and end up with pick 19 as our first pick...........and we pick Tim English. I've looked at that draft year again. I wouldn't trade him right now for anyone picked before him.

NOW. We have Bailey Smith landing with us at pick six (future drafts will revise him to be the number 1. Mark my words)

NOW. We have J.U.H. Landing in our laps. Top 5??? At least????

I know I wouldn't trade him right now for anyone picked before him.

The little wink after plucking another contested mark against the Tigers...... The death stare to that GWS pretty boy with the pink boots after humiliating him in a marking contest. He's fricken 19 years old!!!

I am so excited about our crop of youngsters I just can't wait for the year to start.

I just love his swagger. That wink was his arrival as a big time player.

bornadog
16-11-2019, 10:58 PM
Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWhuwFOzmy8

Dancin' Douggy
17-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Oh Jesus that was enjoyable.

Enjoy:

Dancin' Douggy
17-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Yes there is some very good players for sure.
But. Right now. You are sitting at the trade table. And player for player, would you swap Aaaron Naughton for any player in that draft.

I don't think I would. I've done the same thing with Tim English, and Bailey Smith. I really wouldn't trade them for any player above them.

Games to date

Brisbane
Cameron Rayner

Fremantle
Andrew Brayshaw

Carlton
Paddy Dow

North Melbourne
Luke Davies-Uniacke

Fremantle
Adam Cerra

Collingwood
Jaidyn Stephenson

St Kilda
Hunter Clark

St Kilda
Nicholas Coffield

Western Bulldogs
Aaron Naughton

Carlton
Lochie O'Brien

bornadog
17-11-2019, 04:55 AM
Yes there is some very good players for sure.
But. Right now. You are sitting at the trade table. And player for player, would you swap Aaaron Naughton for any player in that draft.

I don't think I would. I've done the same thing with Tim English, and Bailey Smith. I really wouldn't trade them for any player above them.

Agree, a good big man is like Gold, let alone a freak like Naughton and the potential of English. Love them both

Twodogs
17-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Enjoy:

God I love that. As the video gets deeper into the season you can see his teammates getting more and more confident that he will win the ball in a marking contest At first they are stopping at the contest to help out but Aaron inevitably takes the mark and they are all just standing around with their hands on their hips or clapping. But as time wears on they all start running past the marking contest to create options totally confident Aaron will take the mark no matter how many opponents he has on him.

He's like a Rievoldt clone that doesn't crack the sads and just stand around and blame the umpire if he loses a contest.

soupman
17-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Games to date

Brisbane
Cameron Rayner

Fremantle
Andrew Brayshaw

Carlton
Paddy Dow

North Melbourne
Luke Davies-Uniacke

Fremantle
Adam Cerra

Collingwood
Jaidyn Stephenson

St Kilda
Hunter Clark

St Kilda
Nicholas Coffield

Western Bulldogs
Aaron Naughton

Carlton
Lochie O'Brien

If you do that draft again he and Kelly go pick 1 and 2 every single time. No one else even comes close to those two.

Twodogs
17-11-2019, 11:46 AM
If you do that draft again he and Kelly go pick 1 and 2 every single time. No one else even comes close to those two.

And Kelly is the one who went home too. Them losing their player and ours staying just would not have ever happened in a month of sundays in the past.

KT31
19-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Games to date

Brisbane
Cameron Rayner

Fremantle
Andrew Brayshaw

Carlton
Paddy Dow

North Melbourne
Luke Davies-Uniacke

Fremantle
Adam Cerra

Collingwood
Jaidyn Stephenson

St Kilda
Hunter Clark

St Kilda
Nicholas Coffield

Western Bulldogs
Aaron Naughton

Carlton
Lochie O'Brien

I had wraps on Stephenson, but it was "odds on" he wasn't going to make it to our pick.;)
What a great pick, he really surprised me last season and hopefully he has a long successful career playing for us.

Mofra
19-11-2019, 04:38 PM
I had wraps on Stephenson, but it was "odds on" he wasn't going to make it to our pick.;)
What a great pick, he really surprised me last season and hopefully he has a long successful career playing for us.
Amazing to think many of us were hoping that the Bulldog-supporting Coffield dropped to our pick.
I happily stand corrected.

Twodogs
19-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Amazing to think many of us were hoping that the Bulldog-supporting Coffield dropped to our pick.
I happily stand corrected.

Yep, the St Kilda table must have been looking at us as if to say "Yesss, got him*!!!" in their best Bill Lawry voices when they got Coffield with the pick before ours.

**!*!*!*! off you're out, tell your story walking pal. Merv, Merv, Merv, we all love you Merv. I'm still gonna tell him what you said about his guts!"

Axe Man
02-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Apparently you can get your own Aaron Naughton watch now.
https://i.postimg.cc/KzmfZnZ3/naughton.jpg (https://postimg.cc/jWkPcnnR)

Uncle Jacks Watches (https://www.unclejackwatches.com/pages/aaron-naughton?fbclid=IwAR1H4TL3IsFBkAypeHL2eLcboSK-0KtCRq3pMWaeOgUmsccnm9Xekz-kA00)

Dry Rot
02-12-2019, 10:14 PM
An Aaron Naughton altimeter would be more appropriate.

Twodogs
03-12-2019, 12:14 PM
I hate wearing a watch. Dunno why but it's always been like that.

Axe Man
03-12-2019, 01:04 PM
I hate wearing a watch. Dunno why but it's always been like that.

I've always worn a watch. A few months back I broke my arm, had to have surgery to insert plates and the surgery caused nerve damage which has left some numbness in my forearm/wrist/hand/thumb (the surgeon assures me it will all repair itself with 12 months).

Since then I can't stand to wear a watch. Hopefully when normal sensation returns I can wear one again.

Twodogs
03-12-2019, 01:27 PM
I've always worn a watch. A few months back I broke my arm, had to have surgery to insert plates and the surgery caused nerve damage which has left some numbness in my forearm/wrist/hand/thumb (the surgeon assures me it will all repair itself with 12 months).

Since then I can't stand to wear a watch. Hopefully when normal sensation returns I can wear one again.

I think that I was always worried about losing the bloody thing. I don't wear jewellery for the same reason.

Hotdog60
31-01-2020, 07:49 AM
How the AstroNaught can launch into superstardom

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2020/01/30/0a4e1583-b572-4c6d-92b9-c074cb4169e0/16WBGe19SB375384265.JPG?width=952&height=592

WESTERN Bulldogs swingman Aaron Naughton put some of the competition's best defences on notice last year, but his journey towards becoming one of the best forwards in the League is only in its infancy.

The 20-year-old finished with 53 contested marks for the year, trailing only Richmond star Tom Lynch.

Naughton's nine contested marks against the Tigers in round seven fell just one short of levelling North Melbourne great Wayne Carey's record for the most contested marks in a game.

The signs are there that he can become a special player, but Naughton knows he's got a few things to work on to get to the next level.

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/document/2020/01/30/780a0583-5097-4456-8287-386412242b3c/AaronNaughtongraphic.jpg?width=1020&height=662

"It's more of my running patterns and timing of leads and repositioning are probably the little things that are going to help me going forward next year," Naughton said.

Forwards coach Ashley Hansen is charged with teaching Naughton the nuances of forward craft, with a focus on figuring out how to exploit each different defensive set up.

"The growth for this year is building on that game sense and in-match awareness to be able to apply different leading patterns and different craft for different defenders because sometimes you're double teamed," Hansen said.

"Different defenders do different things so to be able to negate that, it's probably going to be where he's going to take his game to the next level."

The two main defensive strategies at a basic level are categorised as either 'assertive' or 'back-shoulder'.

Some clubs will use different terms for that, but essentially assertive defences play in front of the forwards and will try and read the play and cut off the forwards' space to lead into.

Assertive defences are team-oriented and rely on switching opponents and guarding space. It's a tactic used by many clubs with mobile, intercepting defenders, but it relies on trust and communication between teammates.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2020/01/30/07017d15-be02-4ce0-93fb-d9a20ff22440/23WBAd19QR715413979.JPG?width=708&height=1062

Back-shoulder means the defender lines up just behind the forward's shoulder. It's more individual-based and means defenders are less likely to get beaten out the back, but it leaves plenty of space for the forwards to lead up into.

It's no surprise that two of Naughton's better games came against two of the League's best assertive defences in Geelong and Richmond.

After all, the Bulldogs employ the same strategy in the backline.

In the clip below, Naughton breaks down exactly how he gets an advantage against an assertive defence.

In the first instance, Naughton works up behind Blicavs to throw the Cats defender off before tracking back with the flight.

In the second play he curves his lead just after Blicavs turns his head.

Naughton is clearly advanced in a lot of areas already, but in terms of his forward craft development, the Bulldogs kept the messaging really simple.

The key forward admits he hasn't watched a lot of game tape, but Naughton has already discussed ramping that up with Hansen heading into the 2020 season.

The Bulldogs are keen to embrace Naughton as his own player, and as such the film room focus won't be on what other star key forwards do really well, but more about his own game and how he can exploit different defenders.

One area of the forward's game that could be improved with some film study is breaking down where the faults come into Naughton's usually sound goalkicking routine when he takes relatively straightforward set shots.

Eleven of Naughton's 23 behinds were kicked from 15 to 40 metres out on angles that weren't too tight.

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/document/2020/01/30/a53e60d6-6857-430b-916a-2dc92ad389af/Naughtonshotchart.jpg?width=939&height=456

*Set shot chart supplied by Champion Data

Additionally, 74 per cent of the behinds Naughton kicked from set shots in 2019 faded to the left.

Naughton admits he really should be nailing those set shots, but it's not a case of the yips or dealing with fatigue.

"It was probably just not getting enough momentum through the footy, sort of poking at them a little bit and skewing them to either side of the goals," Naughton said.

"There's certainly entrenching his routine in his set shot goal kicking," Hansen said.

"Making sure that every shot is consistent and looking like the one that he does nail it, that's going to be really important. When he goes away from that, that's when there's a flaw in his technique which is exposed on those shots."

Hansen is confident Naughton will be able to improve on that and won't miss those goals when it really counts.

"He likes the big moments, he's going to embrace it," the coach said.

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/document/2020/01/30/c90bfa9a-f710-442b-aa30-6d78d124a7ec/Naughtonfantasy.jpg?width=1840&height=674

It would be unfair to expect Naughton to follow on with his development instantly this year, as he's spent the vast majority of the pre-season with the rehabilitation group.

Naughton sustained lateral ligament damage to his left knee in the elimination final against Greater Western Sydney, but he's recently returned to full training and remains confident of playing in round one.
"From the incident to be where he's at, it really is a blessing because it could have been a lot worse," Hansen said of Naughton's injury.

"It certainly looks like he's got his straight-line speed and spring from the non-contact drills that he's been doing.

"That's going to increase over the coming weeks with the game-based non-scripted drills, he'll be able to ramp up the change of direction and agility and contact."

Once Naughton returns, not only will he have to get used to his knee, but also a completely different forward line structure.

Josh Bruce's arrival from St Kilda has been a positive for Naughton so far.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2020/01/30/50af955c-2512-4ea0-862f-b7597c3ee450/TR041219MW5120.JPG?width=1064&height=600

"Having Josh Bruce – I've been watching a little bit of his match sim and we're two pretty similar players. Both tall forwards, left footed, like to take contested marks. To be able to watch him, his patterns are really good," Naughton said of his new teammate.

"It's been nice even though I'm not out there to still pick up the way that he's moving, so hopefully when I'm back out there we'll be able to work really well together."

Hansen says it won't be a 'prescribed' plan, but expect to see Josh Schache and Bruce play closer to goal on occasions, with Naughton a little higher up the field.

The Bulldogs were pleased with Naughton's development as a link up forward, and that position could see him start to find more of the football every week.

"He also started to improve his positioning with getting more marks on the lead between the arcs. That also got him into the game and allowed us to move the ball out of our back half really well," Hansen said.

"He wasn't always just tied to the goalsquare or the 50-metre arc which I think supported his influence on the game and gave him the freedom to run a little bit."

Naughton has no doubts that the three-headed attack can work, and with a greater understanding of forward craft and improving his set shot accuracy from shorter distances, Naughton can truly thrive in the forward line.

"I don't want to put a ceiling on it, I don't want to have an end goal and hit it and be like yeah I'm done," Naughton said of his potential.

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/368352/how-the-astronaught-can-launch-into-superstardom)

Axe Man
13-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Some high praise from Steven May on SEN:

“I would say the best young, hard player to play on is probably Aaron Naughton.

“Just purely because the umpires are really hot on holding, but if you let him run and jump, good luck. He can fly over a pack.”

Link (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/13/mays-toughest-opponent-notes-for-jk-and-his-warning-to-young-defenders/)

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 04:08 PM
We need to get him a decent forward, even Tom Lynch would do. This is what next year looks like with just tinkering Hannan & English around. Not good.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 04:15 PM
Also, at what point does his inability to kick easy goals factor into things. His job is to kick goals and he misses way too often, often from bloody easy shots.

jeemak
15-08-2021, 02:29 AM
He needs to have some of the kinks in his technique ironed out so it's more consistent. When he hits them well he looks really good and they penetrate and go dead straight, but because of the complicated nature of his action there's too much margin for error.

Something to work on in preseason. He's too valuable to us forward to not persist.

azabob
15-08-2021, 08:34 AM
He needs to have some of the kinks in his technique ironed out so it's more consistent. When he hits them well he looks really good and they penetrate and go dead straight, but because of the complicated nature of his action there's too much margin for error.

Something to work on in preseason. He's too valuable to us forward to not persist.

It’s something to work on for sure, but will he? He hasn’t yet so I’m not convinced he will.

bornadog
15-08-2021, 11:50 AM
We need to get him a decent forward, even Tom Lynch would do. This is what next year looks like with just tinkering Hannan & English around. Not good.

We don't need a Tom Lynch - big no for me. He will be just another Hannan who we also don't need.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2021, 11:57 AM
We don't need a Tom Lynch - big no for me. He will be just another Hannan who we also don't need.

He’s not the messiah, he’s a cheap one year insurance policy. Who has done infinitely more than Hannan. Who I agree with you, we don’t need.

bornadog
20-10-2021, 04:03 PM
Highlights 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfx0f7R0Uz8

angelopetraglia
10-04-2023, 02:03 PM
Western Bulldogs.

Average Contested Marks per game. (Minimum 30 games).

Naughton 2.1
Jones 1.6
Grant 1.5
Darcy 1.4
Lake 1.2
English 1.2
Roughead 1.1

Naughton is in a league of his own.

Bulldog Joe
10-04-2023, 05:13 PM
Western Bulldogs.

Average Contested Marks per game. (Minimum 30 games).

Naughton 2.1
Jones 1.6
Grant 1.5
Darcy 1.4
Lake 1.2
English 1.2
Roughead 1.1

Naughton is in a league of his own.

It is fantastic that he can do this, but I would love a game plan that improved his chances further.

It would help a lot if less of the contests were with his team mates and all of their opponents.

bornadog
10-04-2023, 05:17 PM
It is fantastic that he can do this, but I would love a game plan that improved his chances further.

It would help a lot if less of the contests were with his team mates and all of their opponents.

The one issue I have with Naughton is he doesn't lead enough and prefers to rely too much on his contested marking. Hanging around your opponent is not the way to go.

jeemak
10-04-2023, 07:39 PM
Our ball carriers need to lower eyes and start using other options regularly and Naughton won't be crowded to the extent he is as often as he is.

josie
10-04-2023, 11:12 PM
The one issue I have with Naughton is he doesn't lead enough and prefers to rely too much on his contested marking. Hanging around your opponent is not the way to go.

Agree. When he has been quiet (against better teams such as from memory Melbourne/May, Geelong/De Koening) he needs to lead more and our players delivering into F50 need to kick lower, more bullet like/less long bombs.

Bulldog Joe
11-04-2023, 07:30 AM

Do we actually give him enough space to lead.

Our forward line is continually clogged.

Rocket Science
11-04-2023, 11:35 AM

It would seem you can lead a natural centre half back to water but you can't necessarily make him ... lead.

bornadog
11-04-2023, 12:15 PM
It would seem you can lead a natural centre half back to water but you can't necessarily make him ... lead.

Myth

Grantysghost
11-04-2023, 12:37 PM

So wise.

jazzadogs
11-04-2023, 12:57 PM
Myth

Not sure how it's a myth when he was drafted in that position and played his first season of AFL at a good level in that position.

hujsh
11-04-2023, 12:59 PM
Myth

wat? You can debate if he'd be as good back now as he is forward but there's no doubt he's a natural CHB. He played all his junior football there and got top 10 in the best and fairest playing his first year in that position.

chef
11-04-2023, 01:19 PM
Myth

He'd be the best one in the league if he had stayed there.

azabob
11-04-2023, 01:26 PM
Not sure how it's a myth when he was drafted in that position and played his first season of AFL at a good level in that position.

wat? You can debate if he'd be as good back now as he is forward but there's no doubt he's a natural CHB. He played all his junior football there and got top 10 in the best and fairest playing his first year in that position.

Wasn't it like 4th?

edit - it was 4th https://www.aflplayers.com.au/news-feed/stories/your-clubs-2018-bf-top-10

bornadog
11-04-2023, 01:28 PM

I was joking.

However, a good tall forward is like gold, and Naughton is one of the best for many years. He has kicked some big scores, and that is hard to replace.

CHB, anyone can play there, Gardner, Bruce for example.

Mantis
11-04-2023, 01:35 PM
I was joking.

However, a good tall forward is like gold, and Naughton is one of the best for many years. He has kicked some big scores, and that is hard to replace.

CHB, anyone can play there, Gardner, Bruce for example.

Do you admit there is a difference in the output that Brisbane & Collingwood get from Andrews & Moore to what we get from Gardner or Bruce?

bornadog
11-04-2023, 02:02 PM
Do you admit there is a difference in the output that Brisbane & Collingwood get from Andrews & Moore to what we get from Gardner or Bruce?

Of course, but kicking goals is more important.

Look at last year when Bruce was out. In 2021 he kicked 48 goals, but we didn't really get that sort of out put from any other player in 2022 when he was injured.

How do you replace Naughton's output?

2018 - 38 goals
2019 - 32
2020 - injured most of the year
2021 - 39
2022 - 47

I value a big forward way higher than a big Full back for effectiveness.

Rocket Science
11-04-2023, 02:03 PM
... a good tall forward is like gold ...

Come now ... Lobb, Bruce, Ugle-Hagan, Darcy and Weightman can take a grab too, and that's not even mentioning a bloke with the tools to be the preeminent CHF in the comp if we chose to deploy him as such in English.

We're no longer as starved for tall marking targets up front as we might've been when Bevo decided to frig around and find out with Naughton, and hey it's been fun, but is it what's genuinely best for the team?

FWIW I think the genie's now bolted the bottle, this is all academic and as far as the club's concerned Naughton's a forward and I might even be content to leave it that if only he stopped kicking it like a defender.

Grantysghost
11-04-2023, 02:18 PM
I know where the Demons would play him if they only had one of Lever / May.

Lever reads the play so well he could be a decent forward. Kicks better than Naughts too.

Defence is the key to success however as they well know.

Also helps to have two generational mids at the same time.

Jasper
13-04-2023, 09:37 AM
I was joking.

We would have known that if you had used an emoji

:)

Jasper
13-04-2023, 09:41 AM
I know where the Demons would play him if they only had one of Lever / May.

Lever reads the play so well he could be a decent forward. Kicks better than Naughts too.

Defence is the key to success however as they well know.

Also helps to have two generational mids at the same time.

It looks like LB has made him a forward for life but I do wonder how other clubs would utilise his skills and talents.

bornadog
13-04-2023, 11:02 AM
We would have known that if you had used an emoji

:)

No worries Jasper

angelopetraglia
01-09-2023, 04:36 PM
CORNES CALLS OUT NAUGHTON FOR NOT MATCHING HIGH EXPECTATIONS WITH STAR OUTPUT

Kane Cornes has called on Aaron Naughton to take the next step in 2024.

Naughton finished the 2023 season with 44 goals from 23 games, less than his totals of 51 in 2022 and 47 in 2021.

While Naughton has the reputation as one of the competition?s best forwards, Cornes believes his performances don?t stand up to that tag.

Cornes listed several players who kicked more goals than the Bulldog in 2023 and put him in the gun this off-season.

?It's a bit of a fallout from the season and I've got your man and you've been big on this all year. Aaron Naughton is in the gun,? Cornes said on SEN Breakfast.

?I think his reputation far exceeds his performance, Aaron Naughton.

?These are the players that have kicked more goals than Aaron Naughton this year.

?Charlie Curnow, Taylor Walker, Nick Larkey, Toby Greene, Oscar Allen, Charlie Cameron, Jeremey Cameron, Joe Daniher, Kyle Langford, Tom Hawkins, Luke Breust and Brody Mihocek.

?Jye Amiss kicked three less than Naughton, Ollie Henry kicked three less than him.

?Ben King missed a lot of footy, but he kicked 40. Aaron Naughton kicked 44.?

While Charlie Curnow stands above all other key forwards at the moment with back-to-back Coleman Medals to his name, Cornes believes Naughton has the ability to match him in 2024.

The former Port Adelaide star urged Naughton to kick 70 goals next campaign and meet the high expectations set for him.

?If Curnow kicks 78, Naughton has every bit the amount of ability that Curnow has or near enough to that athletically,? Cornes said.

?He (Curnow) nearly kicked double the number of goals compared to him.

?Aaron Naughton is in the gun. He needs to come out next year and target 70 goals.

?Kicking 44 and taking one or two contested marks a game is not enough for a player with that much ability.?

Naughton has played 123 games for the Bulldogs since being taken with pick No. 9 in the 2017 Draft

azabob
01-09-2023, 04:45 PM
Bulldog Tragic is now ghost writing for old Cane Kornes

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 04:49 PM
Defender.

GVGjr
01-09-2023, 04:53 PM
I do think Naughton didn't quite measure up to previous standards and he will need to do better next year but I wonder if it's somewhat offset by Marra's arrival as a genuine marking target and of course Lobb?

If he can improve his set shot goal kicking he can be at least a 50 goal per season forward.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-09-2023, 04:59 PM
I do think Naughton didn't quite measure up to previous standards and he will need to do better next year but I wonder if it's somewhat offset by Marra's arrival as a genuine marking target and of course Lobb?

If he can improve his set shot goal kicking he can be at least a 50 goal per season forward.

It also doesn't help that our ball movement and delivery inside 50 is putrid. It's not as simple as Naughton is as good as Curnow therefore should be kicking the same number of goals. Cornes should know better although I do agree that Aaron was disappointing this season.

Grantysghost
01-09-2023, 05:24 PM
It also doesn't help that our ball movement and delivery inside 50 is putrid. It's not as simple as Naughton is as good as Curnow therefore should be kicking the same number of goals. Cornes should know better although I do agree that Aaron was disappointing this season.

Curnow is a natural forward, and a far better kick.

Naughts is v good but Curnow is next level.

angelopetraglia
01-09-2023, 05:28 PM
Curnow is a natural forward, and a far better kick.

Naughts is v good but Curnow is next level.

Curnow's positoning in 1:1s is far superior to Charlie. Naughton is probably a better contested mark when he gets a run at it.

The biggest difference is definitely kicking. Curnow has a beautiful natural fluent action. He can wheel around from 55m on one step and put it through post high. Naughton isn't in the same post code at that skill.

Prince Imperial
01-09-2023, 05:30 PM
I think Naughton was a bit underwhelming this year compared to his previous seasons particularly in relation to his contested marking.

However, whilst his goal average was down, his averages for goal assists, tackles and one percenters were all well up so overall I would not fault his effort, though I was disappointed with a few of his games.

angelopetraglia
01-09-2023, 05:30 PM
Curnow kicked 78.41 66% conversion

Naughton kicked 44.33 57% conversion

angelopetraglia
01-09-2023, 05:32 PM
2023 v 2022 (Better formatting here https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6491&pid2=6491&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2022)

23 Games 22
7.8 Kicks 8.1
3.8 Handballs 3.5
11.6 Disposals 11.6
4.3 Marks 4.7
1.9 Goals 2.3
1.4 Behinds 1.6
2.6 Tackles 2.1
1.0 Hitouts 0.9
1.9 Inside 50s 2.0
1.0 Goal Assists 0.6
1.3 Frees For 1.2
0.9 Frees Against 0.5
6.8 Contested Possessions 6.4
5.1 Uncontested Possessions 5.2
7.4 Effective Disposals 7.7
63.8% Disposal Efficiency % 66.4%
2.4 Clangers 2.4
1.8 Contested Marks 1.9
2.5 Marks Inside 50 2.3
0.2 Clearances 0.5
0.2 Rebound 50s 0
2.2 One Percenters 1.2
0 Bounces 0
86.4 Time On Ground % 85.9
0 Centre Clearances 0
0.2 Stoppage Clearances 0.5
6.3 Score Involvements 6.2
204.3 Metres Gained 200.2
2.6 Turnovers 2.2
0.8 Intercepts 0.8
1.4 Tackles Inside 50 1.6
66.9 AFL Fantasy Score 70.2
75.1 Supercoach Score 78.1

angelopetraglia
01-09-2023, 05:38 PM
Quick summary.

Disposals the same. Less marks. Less goals. More tackles. Almost double goal assists. More marks inside 50m. Almost double the one percenters

So he was much better at creating goals for others and put a lot more pressure on with more tackles and more one percetners.

Axe Man
01-09-2023, 05:51 PM

Actually:

Curnow 78.41 from 127 shots on goal @ 61.4% (plus 18 goal assists)

Naughton 44.33 from 88 shots on goal @ 50% (plus 22 goal assists)

Curnow has improved his accuracy this year (54.7% last year) whilst Naughton was slightly down (52.6% last year). Naughts maybe just below the mark for key forwards but not as bad as people make out.

I don't think Naughton should be judged solely on goals kicked. I don't think he needs to kick +70 either. 50-60 as part of a well functioning forward line will be fine if he's doing the other things he's so good at.

DOG GOD
01-09-2023, 05:55 PM
I know who I’d rather in the RWB, and it ain’t Naughton.well not in the fwd line anyway.

And this is based more so on goal kicking accuracy and that curnow is a natural fwd which we severely lack.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-09-2023, 06:15 PM

Agreed. The number of times the ball was kicked on top of his head when he had space in front of him was frustrating. We've never had a key forward who works as hard as Astro does when he doesn't have the ball. Lots of repeat leads and efforts. Goal kicking an issue. Still only 23.

Bullies
02-09-2023, 03:17 PM
Actually:

Curnow 78.41 from 127 shots on goal @ 61.4% (plus 18 goal assists)

Naughton 44.33 from 88 shots on goal @ 50% (plus 22 goal assists)

Curnow has improved his accuracy this year (54.7% last year) whilst Naughton was slightly down (52.6% last year). Naughts maybe just below the mark for key forwards but not as bad as people make out.

I don't think Naughton should be judged solely on goals kicked. I don't think he needs to kick +70 either. 50-60 as part of a well functioning forward line will be fine if he's doing the other things he's so good at. Would like to see Naughton get looked after in the same way Curnow does by the umps.

Bullies
02-09-2023, 03:20 PM
Agreed. The number of times the ball was kicked on top of his head when he had space in front of him was frustrating. We've never had a key forward who works as hard as Astro does when he doesn't have the ball. Lots of repeat leads and efforts. Goal kicking an issue. Still only 23. In an interview they asked Naughton where he prefers to play and he said without doubt up forward. He said he was an ex backman.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2023, 03:26 PM
Maybe Naughton is a pretty limited player who hit his ceiling early. Not too bad a player if we have just about seen his peak but it goes for like 8-10 more years.

His foot skills are poor and he doesn't seem to have a great footy brain. Plenty of assets though.

bornadog
02-09-2023, 03:40 PM
Maybe Naughton is a pretty limited player who hit his ceiling early. Not too bad a player if we have just about seen his peak but it goes for like 8-10 more years.

His foot skills are poor and he doesn't seem to have a great footy brain. Plenty of assets though.

Can't agree he has hit his ceiling. 88 scoring shots and 22 Goal assists tells me there is alot there. What the stats don't show is his second efforts, plus he is ranked 11th in AFL for tackles inside 50. The ten guys above him are all less than 190cm.

jeemak
02-09-2023, 08:17 PM
Here's a comparison of the two at the same age:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=6491&pid2=4163&fid1=O&fid2=O

Disposal efficiency is the big one that stands out to me.

Naughton's had more continuity than Curnow, though has had to learn to be a forward which probably balances things. Anyway, Naughton is tracking quite well and while I don't think he's going to reach Curnow's heights in our current set up, and also because he's not as skilled by foot, he's still got plenty of improvement in him.

People are harsh/ have high expectations, he's only 24 (or soon to be). His best footy is 2-3 years ahead of him and as is the case with most forwards, the big contracts are usually speculative.

josie
03-09-2023, 12:25 AM
His pressure and ground level abilities are terrific for a tall. I love watching him play, even with his occasional dodgy goal kicking. Would be very sad to see him in other colours. Area for improvement, apart from goal kicking, is to play well or break even against the best key backs. I reckon he’ll continue to improve.

Topdog
03-09-2023, 02:24 PM
Maybe our mids can look before they kick it into the F50, would probably lead to better entries

EasternWest
03-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Maybe our mids can look before they kick it into the F50, would probably lead to better entries

Garbage post. We've been bombing it in in hope for over twenty years without any meaningful improvement in the area.

Why would we want to change that?

We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas.

Mofra
03-09-2023, 05:26 PM

I'd like to see that filtered for difficulty as some of Curnow's goals were low-percentage shots that many other forwards would miss

HOSE B ROMERO
03-09-2023, 07:42 PM
He must have a strong pain threshold for the number of knocks he gets and rarely misses games. Has been in the leadership group for 2-3 years which shouldn't be undervalued come negotiation time. He may never have the accuracy of Curnow but then again I may never have the looks of George Clooney.