PDA

View Full Version : 2018 - Who's excited

Eastdog
26-11-2017, 04:23 PM
We have added some great talent to our squad. We got a key forward in Schache, got a defender in Trengove, and Crozier a defensive mid type.

In the draft we got 2 defenders Naughton and Richards and a mid Porter all 3 who have been really talked up. You would predict that Naugton and Richards will debut next season. I don't know too much about the new draftees but from watching their videos and reading about them it sounds very positive.

I really hope 2018 is the year guys like Libba, Wallis, JJ, Dahl, Smith, Boyd, Honeychurch, Roughead, Roberts, Campbell and quite a number of others fire and get some form back. Even Bont although he won the B&F would want to have a better 2018.

We also need to be better with our skills and goalkicking particular our forward delivery our main targets there now will be Boyd and Schache.

We need to have better luck with injuries as well as it has really affected us last year but I think motivation in the group wasn't there as it was in the years leading up to our great premiership. If we can get that back again I'm sure will be right in the thick of it challenging again.

hujsh
26-11-2017, 08:22 PM
I'll be excited if we can kick some goals. Not convinced that particular problem is solved just yet

Eastdog
26-11-2017, 08:24 PM
I'll be excited if we can kick some goals. Not convinced that particular problem is solved just yet

I know hujsh. It is very very frustrating this area of our game and I really hope we are trying during the off season to correct this. Our goalkicking needs to be better because last year in games Round 6 v GWS it was really awful - we should have won that game.

GVGjr
26-11-2017, 08:41 PM

I tend to agree, we have to find a couple of consistent goal kickers and our midfield players must contribute as well.

GVGjr
26-11-2017, 08:43 PM
We also need to be better with our skills and goalkicking particular our forward delivery our main targets there now will be Boyd and Schache.

That's a big part of the equation Easty. Our delivery into the forward line needs to be better than previous years and if we can get that right we can keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Eastdog
26-11-2017, 08:59 PM
That's a big part of the equation Easty. Our delivery into the forward line needs to be better than previous years and if we can get that right we can keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Yep absolutely. Both the delievery to the key forwards and goalkicking accuracy both need to be better. Bont at times last year was a little inaccurate.

hujsh
26-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Guys like McLean, Dale, Dickson, Dahl, Bonti, Smith, Picken, Lipinski, JJ, Hunter, Jong Wallis etc may be be able to spend some time forward and help with getting some goals on the board. So it's possible we could be OK from a personnel perspective (debatable yes but still possible)

The problem is we don't get the ball forward in a way that's effective for creating good scoring opportunities, we waste too many opportunities when we get them and we don't have anyone who looks like being a consistent goalkicker for us (40-50 for the year range)

I guess the question becomes what percentage of this issue is personnel based vs a symptom of the gameplan we use?

LostDoggy
26-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Our biggest issue with regard to scoring is accuracy. In 2017 we actually had 40 more scoring shots than in our Premiership year, but kicked 8 less goals. In theory, having a fit Boyd and Schache to straighten us up should result in us getting the ball into areas where conversion is simpler. I am also very hopeful that 2nd year forwards Lipinski and Greene can offer us some natural scoring nouse.

jazzadogs
26-11-2017, 11:01 PM
I'm excited because I'm actually going to be in Australia watching games live! In the flesh!!

On topic, I am most excited to see:
- the Boyd/Schache combo. I really hope that Tom has got himself in a good place mentally, and is ready to stand up and be a focal point. Schache, I'm just excited to see play.
- the continued improvement of Toby McLean in the midfield and Bailey Dale on a HFF. Both stepped up massively in 2017, and were two of my favourite players to watch this year.
- seeing two of our tall defenders stand up and claim their spots. I'm going with Adams and Trengove, but expect Cordy to be knocking down the door. It's going to be a really hard balance.
- the debut of Fergus Greene. Liked what I read about him early in 2017 and hope he can kick on.
- I've only seen Bont play a handful of games live. I'm pumped to watch him.
- the Dale Morris farewell tour. I missed Bob and Boyd's farewells, but will do whatever I have to to be there for Dale's last game.

boydogs
28-11-2017, 12:15 AM
- the Dale Morris farewell tour. I missed Bob and Boyd's farewells, but will do whatever I have to to be there for Dale's last game.

I thought I'd seen it when he broke his arm spoiling Tom Lynch, but he was back even before finals. Such a beast

LostDoggy
28-11-2017, 02:02 PM
We are coming into that time of year when everyone is flying. The comp is so close it isn't funny. What I am looking forward/hoping for in 2018 is a return to the 22 turning up week in week out like 2016. Even in our losses in 2016 we turned up and gave an honest effort, 2017 we seemed like we were waiting for it to happen rather than making it happen.

bornadog
28-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Not excited yet, I will be come March 2018

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Not excited yet, I will be come March 2018

Yep. Right now I'm excited that we beat the poms by 10 wickets in the first test. And that Arsenal won and actually went up a spot on the table.

But I am pretty excited about the footy, yeah.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
28-11-2017, 04:57 PM
The players were having a closed training session yesterday. I'm taking that to mean Bevo has a cunning game plan for next year

Eastdog
28-11-2017, 05:02 PM
That's great jazzadogs. You must be very excited to be able next season to watch some Doggies game live.

Eastdog
28-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Yep. Right now I'm excited that we beat the poms by 10 wickets in the first test. And that Arsenal won and actually went up a spot on the table.

But I am pretty excited about the footy, yeah.

Was a great win in the cricket in the end. Hopefully we can do a 5-0 clean sweep :)

Eastdog
28-11-2017, 05:09 PM
We are coming into that time of year when everyone is flying. The comp is so close it isn't funny. What I am looking forward/hoping for in 2018 is a return to the 22 turning up week in week out like 2016. Even in our losses in 2016 we turned up and gave an honest effort, 2017 we seemed like we were waiting for it to happen rather than making it happen.

Yep the 2016 losses were different to the 2017 ones. The work rate in 2017 went down with only a handful doing the heavy lifting. There were games were the signs from the year before were there but not as much this year.

1eyedog
28-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Just not feeling it atm. Maybe the whole trade period thing took all the wind out of my sails.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 06:30 PM
The players were having a closed training session yesterday. I'm taking that to mean Bevo has a cunning game plan for next year

All the handball club sessions were closed. I can remember saying at the time "the only thing that will stop me whinging about all these closed sessions is if we win the premiership"

Eastdog
06-12-2017, 01:15 AM
All the handball club sessions were closed. I can remember saying at the time "the only thing that will stop me whinging about all these closed sessions is if we win the premiership"

It is a sign.

Eastdog
06-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Financially we should really excited right now. If we get that on field stuff right another flag soon will be sitting really really well.

SonofScray
06-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Wouldn't say I am at fever pitch just yet, but I am ready to get things underway, starting with AFLW games at VUWO and building into a Premiership season for the seniors. I think we've improved the list on last year and am hoping for a less injurious run given we copped it bad in 16/17. Fresh faces, fresh bodies and minds, a little bit of 16 swagger still there matched by an understanding that it doesn't just happen.

Spoke to Roughie briefly recently and he struck me as someone who is full of confidence that he is putting in the work and mentally ready to go. I said "do me a favour and go win a few more flags mate, feels good." He said "Thats the plan." Which is as good as done in my book!

Twodogs
07-12-2017, 12:07 AM
I'm still excited with the test matches.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Just not feeling it atm. Maybe the whole trade period thing took all the wind out of my sails.

I think the focus of the club and our window are a few years down the track, with the loss of irreplacable experience in Bob, Boyd, Cloke and Crameri, and the youth of the list. I felt in 2015 we were on the verge of something great, now our verge seems less impending.

Go_Dogs
10-12-2017, 07:11 PM
I'm beginning to feel excited.

Confident we'll put in much better year and who doesn't get excited about watching the likes of Bont and JJ do their thing? What I'm most excited about though is seeing Tom Boyd breakout - the pressure and attention has died down and he looks in the best condition he's been in.

Twodogs
10-12-2017, 08:39 PM
I'm beginning to feel excited.

Confident we'll put in much better year and who doesn't get excited about watching the likes of Bont and JJ do their thing? What I'm most excited about though is seeing Tom Boyd breakout - the pressure and attention has died down and he looks in the best condition he's been in.

I think the presence of Schache in the forward line will take a bit of pressure off Tom to be the main man too. He might be a better player for it.

Hotdog60
30-12-2017, 11:53 AM
I don't know if it's an omen but 2018 is "The year of the Dog'

josie
30-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Thanks for that hotdog. Well, I plan to chat with cheer squad about a “year of the dog” sign with a Chinese flavour (no pun intended) to it.

bornadog
30-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks for that hotdog. Well, I plan to chat with cheer squad about a “year of the dog” sign with a Chinese flavour (no pun intended) to it.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3JGdvB0gnl_-XfGvsRyT9hEOmlHK7Fuj0gUwcgu2OJ85dHtPX

Twodogs
30-12-2017, 09:08 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3JGdvB0gnl_-XfGvsRyT9hEOmlHK7Fuj0gUwcgu2OJ85dHtPX

Love it! It's my new avatar.

bornadog
30-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Love it! It's my new avatar.

You should try and make your avatar bigger

Eastdog
03-01-2018, 06:29 PM

PM GVGjr to help you out with that.

Twodogs
03-01-2018, 08:44 PM