PDA

View Full Version : Are left footers better players?

Dry Rot
27-11-2017, 12:18 AM
Came across this article

Left-handed sportspeople have greater advantage in cricket, baseball and table tennis

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-11-22/left-handed-advantage-fast-games-table-tennis-cricket-baseball/9175124

Made me wonder: are AFL left footers better players? Is there something about them vs the game they are playing that gives them an edge?

Thoughts?

Twodogs
27-11-2017, 01:15 AM
Came across this article

Left-handed sportspeople have greater advantage in cricket, baseball and table tennis

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-11-22/left-handed-advantage-fast-games-table-tennis-cricket-baseball/9175124

Made me wonder: are AFL left footers better players? Is there something about them vs the game they are playing that gives them an edge?

Thoughts?

They have grown up with the luxury of having extra time with the ball because they are able to swing onto their left foot. Nearly every defender will naturally go to cover the right side of the player they are attacking. If you turn into the left then you have all that time while your opponent readjusts to make up your mind what you are going to do with the ball. They also tend to have better kicking techniques and kick the ball further because of it.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-12-2017, 07:39 PM
I've always thought left footers are better kicks even on the training track. The technique looks better. Saying that, there is a line of thought that left footers are worse on their weaker foot.
Has anyone noticed the disproportionate number of l-footers we have on our list?

Twodogs
06-12-2017, 09:25 PM
I've always thought left footers are better kicks even on the training track. The technique looks better. Saying that, there is a line of thought that left footers are worse on their weaker foot.
Has anyone noticed the disproportionate number of l-footers we have on our list?

I think we have been recruiting left footers in much the same way and for the same reason that most of Hawthorn's good players during their premiership hatrick were left footers.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Apropos the above article, left footers are better footballers not intrinsically, they aren't more skillful but they are better because they are not the orthodox, they discombobulate their opponents.

Daughter of the West
08-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Apropos the above article, left footers are better footballers not intrinsically, they aren't more skillful but they are better because they are not the orthodox, they discombobulate their opponents.

Discombobulate should be used around Woof more often, what a fabulous description!

craigsahibee
08-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Discombobulate should be used around Woof more often, what a fabulous description!

Christian Howard was a left footer who had the ability to discombobulate himself.

Twodogs
08-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Christian Howard was a left footer who had the ability to discombobulate himself.

Premiership hero Christian Howard!

bornadog
22-09-2020, 06:33 PM
Last week we had 11 left footers in the team and 12 the week before. This is a real turn around from the good old days.

EasternWest
22-09-2020, 06:46 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/cHCLnFzf/images-9.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

No.

bornadog
22-09-2020, 06:49 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/cHCLnFzf/images-9.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX3SYZAillw&ab_channel=AFL

EasternWest
22-09-2020, 06:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX3SYZAillw&ab_channel=AFL

That's his one good kick per 6 game standard.

Let's see what Mantis thinks of left footers.

https://i.postimg.cc/3R6ytM5K/gettyimages-103840726-612x612.jpg (https://postimages.org/)online photo upload site (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
22-09-2020, 06:52 PM
That's his one good kick per 6 game standard.

Let's see what Mantis thinks of left footers.

https://i.postimg.cc/3R6ytM5K/gettyimages-103840726-612x612.jpg (https://postimages.org/)online photo upload site (https://postimages.org/)

He was a beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OdXn4b9oRU&ab_channel=itzanoob

EasternWest
22-09-2020, 06:55 PM
He was a beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OdXn4b9oRU&ab_channel=itzanoob

It's not me that needs convincing of that :).

Twodogs
22-09-2020, 07:40 PM
When I played cricket I threw overhand with my right and underhand with my left. It left lots of batsmen short of the crease and an annoyed look on their face because they thought they had a bit of time while I swapped hands to return it to the keeper.

Bulldog Revolution
22-09-2020, 08:45 PM
He was a beauty

Its ironic that one of the thing our current team needs is an Eagle - classic wingman

mjp
22-09-2020, 08:51 PM
Made me wonder: are AFL left footers better players?

Thoughts?

Well....I'm not left footed.

Twodogs
22-09-2020, 09:59 PM

So you're not a freemason then?

Mofra
23-09-2020, 10:17 AM
As a dancer I have two left feet and I wasn't a very good football player, so I'll say "depends"

Bulldog Joe
23-09-2020, 10:31 AM

Neither am I, but that is more weight to lefties being better.

Happy Days
23-09-2020, 10:53 AM

I am. They aren’t.

Twodogs
23-09-2020, 07:45 PM
I am. They aren’t.

Didn't take advantage of the whole "turning your opponent inside out" thing then?

Happy Days
23-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Didn't take advantage of the whole "turning your opponent inside out" thing then?

Gotta get the ball first.

Twodogs
23-09-2020, 07:53 PM
Gotta get the ball first.

True. Look a bit silly doing blind turns without the ball in your hands. Although they say that in the 1971 grand final all the important moments in the first half took place without the ball.

Dry Rot
23-09-2020, 09:37 PM
When I played cricket I threw overhand with my right and underhand with my left. It left lots of batsmen short of the crease and an annoyed look on their face because they thought they had a bit of time while I swapped hands to return it to the keeper.

I bet you were a big sledger?

Twodogs
23-09-2020, 11:06 PM
I bet you were a big sledger?

Still am. Don't have to play cricket to sledge.

But I fielded at short leg not just because my reflexes were sharp, my tongue was too. You have to keep in mind that the batsman has a bat in his hand though and it's not just cricket balls they can hit with it.

Dry Rot
23-09-2020, 11:23 PM
Still am. Don't have to play cricket to sledge.

But I fielded at short leg not just because my reflexes were sharp, my tongue was too. You have to keep in mind that the batsman has a bat in his hand though and it's not just cricket balls they can hit with it.

I'd love to go to a Dogs vs Giants game with you.

Twodogs
23-09-2020, 11:49 PM
I'd love to go to a Dogs vs Giants game with you.

Essendon game at Marvel would be more fun. We love taunting Essendon supporters.

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 09:22 AM

Now you see it now you don't.

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 09:23 AM
Essendon game at Marvel would be more fun. We love taunting Essendon supporters.

I reckon Td you would love taunting every other team's supporters.

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 09:26 AM
True. Look a bit silly doing blind turns without the ball in your hands. Although they say that in the 1971 grand final all the important moments in the first half took place without the ball.

One of the best on doing the blind turns and baulks was David Thorpe. Used to do them regularly and with good effect. Disappointed when he went to Richmond.

Twodogs
24-09-2020, 02:31 PM
I reckon Td you would love taunting every other team's supporters.

I have a group of mates that I've been going to the footy with for years. We work as a team. The great thing is a lot of us have kids these days who come along and join in. Nice to pass the baton on.

A couple of years ago we got a Richmond supporter so worked up that the rozzers ended up throwing him out of Marvel stadium.

dais55
08-11-2022, 04:34 PM
I don't know why the world is so 'right', but like defenders, there should be more of us lefties!!
I think the big advantage of lefties is that players are not used to them. Apart from that, there is no real advantage.
Timo Bolls' reverse serve is different from a right handers normal sidespin because it is coming from a different angle and it has a different action.

When we return serve we get used to the action to help us to recognize what spin is on the ball. I read here (https://pingpongacademy.org/best-outdoor-ping-pong-table/) this thing that As a left hander, you would generally use your left foot to step in and reach the short balls.

This is the same for short pushing and for flicking. You may sometimes want to use your right foot (being a left hander) if the ball is short and wide to your backhand. This is because if you use your left foot and the ball is wide, you would be crossing your feet over which could be a bit tricky.

jazzadogs
08-11-2022, 07:21 PM
I don't know why the world is so 'right', but like defenders, there should be more of us lefties!!
I think the big advantage of lefties is that players are not used to them. Apart from that, there is no real advantage.
Timo Bolls' reverse serve is different from a right handers normal sidespin because it is coming from a different angle and it has a different action.

When we return serve we get used to the action to help us to recognize what spin is on the ball. I read here (https://pingpongacademy.org/best-outdoor-ping-pong-table/) this thing that As a left hander, you would generally use your left foot to step in and reach the short balls.

This is the same for short pushing and for flicking. You may sometimes want to use your right foot (being a left hander) if the ball is short and wide to your backhand. This is because if you use your left foot and the ball is wide, you would be crossing your feet over which could be a bit tricky.

This has to be the most targeted first post in the history of Woof!!! Classic leftie - when we would all expect our opponent to swing onto their right (post in New Members, or a Game Day thread) dais55 turns on to their left (a 5 year old thread about an obscure topic) and bamboozles us!

Welcome dais55.

Twodogs
08-11-2022, 08:14 PM

Great post dai55.

Twodogs
08-11-2022, 08:24 PM
As a matter of interest can anyone else kick dropkicks? As a kid I used to practise my kicking a lot and would try all the different types of kicks, drop punts, torps, flat punts, bananas, stab kicks, checksides because just kicking drop punts got a bit boring. But the one that I really liked was the drop kick. If you got it right and hit your teammate on the chest it just felt good. For some reason opponents really found it hard to intercept them.

Torpedoes were really satisfying too. Watching it spin and spin through the air was a like like driving a golf ball perfectly and watching it disappear into the distance.

EasternWest
08-11-2022, 08:53 PM
As a matter of interest can anyone else kick dropkicks?

Just at the Nets.

bornadog
08-11-2022, 09:36 PM
As a matter of interest can anyone else kick dropkicks? As a kid I used to practise my kicking a lot and would try all the different types of kicks, drop punts, torps, flat punts, bananas, stab kicks, checksides because just kicking drop punts got a bit boring. But the one that I really liked was the drop kick. If you got it right and hit your teammate on the chest it just felt good. For some reason opponents really found it hard to intercept them.

Torpedoes were really satisfying too. Watching it spin and spin through the air was a like like driving a golf ball perfectly and watching it disappear into the distance.

Yes, my best kick was a drop kick

gohardorgohome
09-11-2022, 10:25 AM
I’m a left footer and played a fair bit of local footy a long time ago.
I couldn’t kick longer than 45 metres.
Fumbled the ball if it was below my knees
Had a turning circle of a semi trailer…..

So I think the only real benefit of being a left footer really is getting a kick in traffic. Most players naturally go to their left to smother a right foot kick. This makes it easier… This advantage is now a lot less in modern day footy as kicking the ball to an area is now frowned upon.

Grantysghost
09-11-2022, 11:53 AM
I’m a left footer and played a fair bit of local footy a long time ago.
I couldn’t kick longer than 45 metres.
Fumbled the ball if it was below my knees
Had a turning circle of a semi trailer…..

So I think the only real benefit of being a left footer really is getting a kick in traffic. Most players naturally go to their left to smother a right foot kick. This makes it easier… This advantage is now a lot less in modern day footy as kicking the ball to an area is now frowned upon.

I'm right foot left handed used to be good to trick a few.

SonofScray
09-11-2022, 12:27 PM
Came across this article

Thoughts?
Yes.

Source: am a left footer

SonofScray
09-11-2022, 12:29 PM

I can launch a drop kick further than I can when I try to get on a torp.

1eyedog
09-11-2022, 01:17 PM

This.

jazzadogs
09-11-2022, 01:52 PM
Every footy training I try to hit a torp from the point where the 50m line meets the boundary, on the first warm-up lap.

There is no better feeling than flushing it, with the roar of the boys around you.

Grantysghost
09-11-2022, 02:22 PM
Every footy training I try to hit a torp from the point where the 50m line meets the boundary, on the first warm-up lap.

There is no better feeling than flushing it, with the roar of the boys around you.

It's the best feeling. A pure torp just pings off the boot and transcends the laws of physics.

My favourite after training torp landed in a team mates ute !

EasternWest
09-11-2022, 03:35 PM

It's the best feeling. A pure torp just pings off the boot and transcends the laws of physics.

My favourite after training torp landed in a team mates ute !

Story time!

I played shit level football and because I was 6 foot 1 that meant I was destined for ruck/full back.

So one day we're having a close game and it's back and forth. Our forwards were having a mare (because they were as shit as me) but our defense was playing well. Probably because I was in the ruck that day.

Anyway, the other side had this annoying but sort of good midfielder and he'd been giving me the shits all day. Late in the third quarter, we're behind by two points and the ball ricochets off his foot and goes out of bounds on the full. One of our guys goes and looks into the forward line but thinks better of it (for aforementioned reasons) and goes inboard to me. I have to lunge for it and as I do the annoying midfielder goes to "spoil" and cracks me in the jaw. Then puts his hands up after I mark it to say "sorry it was an accident" but of course it wasn't.

So I'm about 55 out with a head full of steam and I'm looking for a forward to lead but there's no space because they're shit and it's shit footy so every player on the ground is in our 50.

I'm thinking I'll just put it to the top of the square and maybe it'll accidentally hit one of our guys on the foot and miraculously go through for a goal, but as I'm running in I glance at the annoying guy's face as he's on the mark and think "nah *!*!*!*! it" and shift my grip and go for it.

I've always been a shit kick but a reasonable badoonker kicker and I've never unloaded a better barrel in my life than that one. It's sailing through the air and I just put a finger up Larry Bird style as the siren goes. The ball goes through the middle at the top of the posts and goes back another ten or fifteen metres. My team mates go berserk and swamp me.

We lose the game.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-11-2022, 03:39 PM
There has been some outstanding left footers that come to mind, including Bob Skilton Ian Stewart Royce Hart Polly Farmer and Thorold
Merrett. All Champions in their own right.

Axe Man
09-11-2022, 04:42 PM

What is your ratio of goals v out on the full? You must enjoy jumping the fence to get the footy!

Story time!

I played shit level football and because I was 6 foot 1 that meant I was destined for ruck/full back.

How tall are you now?

EasternWest
09-11-2022, 04:45 PM
What is your ratio of goals v out on the full? You must enjoy jumping the fence to get the footy!

How tall are you now?

The crushing weight of being a Bulldogs supporter has shrunk me to 4 foot 3.

Grantysghost
09-11-2022, 04:50 PM
Story time!

So one day we're having a close game and it's back and forth. Our forwards were having a mare (because they were as shit as me) but our defense was playing well. Probably because I was in the ruck that day.

Anyway, the other side had this annoying but sort of good midfielder and he'd been giving me the shits all day. Late in the third quarter, we're behind by two points and the ball ricochets off his foot and goes out of bounds on the full. One of our guys goes and looks into the forward line but thinks better of it (for aforementioned reasons) and goes inboard to me. I have to lunge for it and as I do the annoying midfielder goes to "spoil" and cracks me in the jaw. Then puts his hands up after I mark it to say "sorry it was an accident" but of course it wasn't.

So I'm about 55 out with a head full of steam and I'm looking for a forward to lead but there's no space because they're shit and it's shit footy so every player on the ground is in our 50.

I'm thinking I'll just put it to the top of the square and maybe it'll accidentally hit one of our guys on the foot and miraculously go through for a goal, but as I'm running in I glance at the annoying guy's face as he's on the mark and think "nah *!*!*!*! it" and shift my grip and go for it.

I've always been a shit kick but a reasonable badoonker kicker and I've never unloaded a better barrel in my life than that one. It's sailing through the air and I just put a finger up Larry Bird style as the siren goes. The ball goes through the middle at the top of the posts and goes back another ten or fifteen metres. My team mates go berserk and swamp me.

We lose the game.

Hahahaha gold. 6 ft 1 is a good height. My brother is 6 4 and doesn't have a shred of sporting ability I really hate that I was robbed !

Losing so doesn't matter when you've done that.

jazzadogs
09-11-2022, 09:54 PM

Nah I'm pretty good.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2022, 02:10 PM
There has been some outstanding left footers that come to mind, including Bob Skilton Ian Stewart Royce Hart Polly Farmer and Thorold
Merrett. All Champions in their own right.

Bob was also a great kick on his right foot too NBP.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2022, 02:15 PM
Playing local footy in the late 60's the drop kick, flat punt and torp were all we did. With all due modesty I could regularly kick the torp and drop kick over 50 yards...in those days. :p

EasternWest
10-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Playing local footy in the late 60's the drop kick, flat punt and torp were all we did. With all due modesty I could regularly kick the torp and drop kick over 50 yards...in those days. :p

Even with the onion tied to your belt?

GVGjr
10-11-2022, 02:58 PM

What about the stab pass? I seem to recall some players using it occasionally in the 70's

Grantysghost
10-11-2022, 04:40 PM

It was the style at the time so I'm feeling yes is the answer.

Axe Man
10-11-2022, 04:51 PM
It was the style at the time so I'm feeling yes is the answer.

I'm betting it was one of those big yellow ones.

Bulldog4life
14-11-2022, 12:36 PM

No the onion and garlic were around my neck. Lot of vampires playing in those days.

Bulldog4life
14-11-2022, 12:39 PM
What about the stab pass? I seem to recall some players using it occasionally in the 70's

It was a great kick too G. When you look back at the kicks that have gone out of the game it is a lost art. All Peter Hudson's goals were flat punts if I remember correctly.

bornadog
14-11-2022, 01:42 PM
It was a great kick too G. When you look back at the kicks that have gone out of the game it is a lost art. All Peter Hudson's goals were flat punts if I remember correctly.

The trouble with many kicks was the accuracy. The drop punt is the most accurate method of kicking.

Bulldog4life
14-11-2022, 02:15 PM
The trouble with many kicks was the accuracy. The drop punt is the most accurate method of kicking.

Can understand that in general. Just on Hudson including his career in his native Tasmania and night and rep competitions, Hudson played 372 matches and kicked 2191 goals at an average of 5.89. But that's not even half of the half of it. From 1968, he kicked 100 goals four years in a row. All flat punts and a few torps.

Twodogs
14-11-2022, 08:08 PM

Ted Whitten Jr used to almost knock Kelvin Templeton over with some of his stab passed.

Twodogs
14-11-2022, 08:15 PM
Can understand that in general. Just on Hudson including his career in his native Tasmania and night and rep competitions, Hudson played 372 matches and kicked 2191 goals at an average of 5.89. But that's not even half of the half of it. From 1968, he kicked 100 goals four years in a row. All flat punts and a few torps.

I just read A Football Genius, Peter Hudson's bio by Dan Eddy. Even though he had kicked 4 tons in a row Hudson was all set for the biggest year of his life, had kicked 8 in the first half of the first round, was convinced he was going to break Fanning's 18 goal record that day but did his knee just before half time and virtually only played another 30 games in what would have been his prime playing years.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-11-2022, 02:51 AM
I played u/19s in the VAFA, on the wing, 1972.
I preferred torps, drop kicks and flat punts. Could stab kick.
A drop punt was for short passes or for those who couldn't kick.
We had Mark Browning, thereafter a Swans player, who was a great left footer but clearly the best player I played with was leftie Steve Knapp who would have made AFL if he wasn't Australian table tennis champ at 17 yoa and shipped to China in 1972 by Whitlam to help establish diplomatic relations.
He was a very competitive, hard worker with exceptional talent and instincts. Rarely missed a goal including snaps, did things before others knew what was happening, could win the ball in a pack of opposition, be under the ball in front of a pack and push the the pack back with eyes on the ball and arc back and take the mark, stuff like that ... leftie..

Twodogs
21-11-2022, 09:00 PM
Mark Browning was a great player. For a few years the Swans whole defensive strategy was to get the ball into his hands and then watch him kick it 50-60 metres down the ground.

Was he part of that deal between Richmond and South that saw John Pitura to Richmond and Teasdale, Whale Roberts and (I think) Browning go the other way?

Bulldog4life
22-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Mark Browning was a great player. For a few years the Swans whole defensive strategy was to get the ball into his hands and then watch him kick it 50-60 metres down the ground.

Was he part of that deal between Richmond and South that saw John Pitura to Richmond and Teasdale, Whale Roberts and (I think) Browning go the other way?

No think it was Francis Jackson.