PDA

View Full Version : Team set-up 2018

jazzadogs
27-11-2017, 12:36 AM
With the list nearly finalised, let's get our predictions in. I'm going with a slightly different way of naming the side, because I think traditional positions are almost redundant in our style.

Tall defenders: x2 in almost all situations. Maybe not against Richmond or other sides playing deliberately small.
Medium/small defenders: again dependent on match-ups but I would suspect x2 here as well.
Attacking defenders: a key to our gameplan, two of the most important positions in our team. Want good skills and ability to run and carry. 60-70m players. Plus at least one rotation. Also noted that Bevo started rotating our attacking defenders into the forward line towards the end of the year.
Wingmen: similar to the attacking defenders, very important positions.
Ruckman: we know Bevo's attitude, the most mobile of our big men will get picked here
Midfielders: x5 (including bench). Forward time expected of all, even if just a few minutes per quarter.
High half forward/extra mid: hard running, able to hit up targets inside 50 and kick accurately when their chance comes up. Likely to be rotated through multiple players.
Tall forwards: self-explanatory
Medium/small forwards: mostly expected to rotate through the midfield, able to apply defensive pressure.

So for me, our most likely set up is:

Tall defenders: Adams, Trengove
Ahead of Collins, Roberts and Naughton at this stage. Unlikely to change over pre-season.

Medium defenders: Wood, Cordy
Potential overkill by having Cordy with the other two talls, Adams and Trengove, but I think he is able to play smaller in a Morris type role.

Attacking defenders: Suckling, Crozier (Biggs)
I see JJ being pushed up the field into either the wing or forward line, and with the retirements of Bob/Boyd that leaves these spots open. Williams is obviously the one I've left out, mostly because I've never seen him live but have never been convinced when watching online.

Wingmen: Hunter, JJ
I'd really like to see this combination. Hunter is a great runner and has the ability to be an important link-up player. JJ's run and carry make him an ideal wingman, as long as his endurance is high enough.

Ruckman: Roughead
Has to be leading the way at this stage, with English and Campbell behind him. If Redpath gets the gig as starting forward, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd or Schache named as our starting ruckman.

Midfielders: Bont, Macrae, McLean (Libba, Wallis)
As a midfield 'squad' of five they all have potential to win clearances and spread. Bont, McLean and Libba have all shown decent forward craft.

High half forward: Dale (Daniel)
Dale's season was excellent, and in tandem with Caleb I think could dominate this area in 2018. They both have great vision and a willingness to take their chances with decent accuracy. I'd like the ball in either of their hands going inside 50.

Tall forwards: Boyd/Schache, Redpath
Controversial but I still have Redpath in my starting 18 at this stage. I think his season was underrated and basically dismantled by the MRP. If he can control his aggression, I see him having a spot in our 22 until Boyd/Schache demand it off him. Pre-season will have a big role to play, but I won't be surprised if it ends up like this.

Medium/small forwards: Dahlhaus, Dickson, Picken
I'd like to see Dahl down forward where his foot skills are less likely to result in damaging turnovers. He has a knack for squeezing out sneaky goals and would be a hazard at forward stoppages. Dickson is vital as our only accurate forward, and Picken will be fighting with Webb/Green/Lipinski for that final forward spot.

LostDoggy
27-11-2017, 10:29 AM
By and large agree, but really think that Dale Morris is still a near automatic selection. I'd have him in ahead of Cordy (and pretty much all of the other defenders).

jazzadogs
27-11-2017, 11:24 PM
By and large agree, but really think that Dale Morris is still a near automatic selection. I'd have him in ahead of Cordy (and pretty much all of the other defenders).

I love Dale and I'm very glad that he's playing on, but I think he's got a serious fight on his hands for a best 22 spot next year. Roarke, Cordy and Lewis Young are probably the other competitors for that 3rd tall/medium defender role. None have the runs on the board that Dale does, but I think those three will play more than Dale in 2018.

Mantis
28-11-2017, 08:38 AM
I love Dale and I'm very glad that he's playing on, but I think he's got a serious fight on his hands for a best 22 spot next year. Roarke, Cordy and Lewis Young are probably the other competitors for that 3rd tall/medium defender role. None have the runs on the board that Dale does, but I think those three will play more than Dale in 2018.

You were losing me when you had Redpath in the best 18, but to suggest Roarke Smith will play more games than Morris is taking it a little far.

Last year Morris had a broken leg, broken arm and a banged up ankle (which he shouldn't have been playing on), but was still a decent contributor.. Smith is coming off 2 knee reco's and has hardly been on the park for 2 years, and when he has, he hasn't been overly impressive... I just can't see what you are suggesting happening.

jazzadogs
28-11-2017, 11:38 AM
You were losing me when you had Redpath in the best 18, but to suggest Roarke Smith will play more games than Morris is taking it a little far.

Last year Morris had a broken leg, broken arm and a banged up ankle (which he shouldn't have been playing on), but was still a decent contributor.. Smith is coming off 2 knee reco's and has hardly been on the park for 2 years, and when he has, he hasn't been overly impressive... I just can't see what you are suggesting happening.

Sorry I meant combined, the three of them would often take that spot ahead of Dale. Even when fully fit he had started to slow down this year, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking he could drop sharply in 2018.

He might start round 1, but I'd be surprised (and a little disappointed) if that's still the case come round 23.

As for Redpath, why do Schache or Boyd instantly get in ahead of him? We just gave him a two year deal, put him in the leadership group and in 2017 played him in most games that he wasn't suspended or injured. He has limitations but Schache/Boyd are hardly perfect footballers at this stage.

GVGjr
23-12-2017, 05:30 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that with a bit of luck on the injury front Fergus Greene might claim a couple of games in 2018 as a small/medium forward.

Great thread Jazzadogs

Eastdog
23-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Adams - hoping for a big 2018. No injuries disruptions. Really liked him down back for us before that injury.

Eastdog
23-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Lukas Webb I recall in a game actually was decent up forward.

Twodogs
23-12-2017, 06:49 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing Adams put some games together.

I can't remember a player turning up and giving us a glimpse of some real form (potential?) over a couple of years. He's unique.

azabob
24-12-2017, 09:59 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that with a bit of luck on the injury front Fergus Greene might claim a couple of games in 2018 as a small/medium forward.

Great thread Jazzadogs

I agree on the Greene call. I also have sneaking suspicion it will be closer to ten games.

When he actually got on the park in 2017 he actually played pretty well.

Twodogs
24-12-2017, 10:54 PM
I agree on the Greene call. I also have sneaking suspicion it will be closer to ten games.

When he actually got on the park in 2017 he actually played pretty well.

He looked good didn't he? He seemed to have plenty of time when he got the ball in his hands

azabob
24-12-2017, 11:09 PM
He looked good didn't he? He seemed to have plenty of time when he got the ball in his hands

And most importantly has a very good goal sense.

bornadog
24-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Pat Lipinski may surprise by getting a few games. Was very impressive in his first game and really should have had at least 3 goals.

Eastdog
26-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Pat Lipinski may surprise by getting a few games. Was very impressive in his first game and really should have had at least 3 goals.

Very good debut from Patty - 1000th Bulldog player. Looking forward to seeing how he goes in 2018.

Eastdog
26-12-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing Adams put some games together.

I can't remember a player turning up and giving us a glimpse of some real form (potential?) over a couple of years. He's unique.

Yeah we need some luck on the injury front particularly the defence which was battered this year. Adams staying on the park will make opposition forwards a little nervous.

Twodogs
26-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Yeah we need some luck on the injury front particularly the defence which was battered this year. Adams staying on the park will make opposition forwards a little nervous.

As I say he's unique for us. A player who can hold down KP spots at either end of the ground, plays well in big games and owns moments (he seems to always come up with a goal or a game saving mark deep in defence) he defends one on one and he peels off and creates options and he kicks goals.

If they would hurry up and invent soft tissue transplants then I'd be happy to donate yours to the cause Easty! Marcus could do with some hamstrings that worked properly.

Eastdog
27-12-2017, 03:48 AM
As I say he's unique for us. A player who can hold down KP spots at either end of the ground, plays well in big games and owns moments (he seems to always come up with a goal or a game saving mark deep in defence) he defends one on one and he peels off and creates options and he kicks goals.

If they would hurry up and invent soft tissue transplants then I'd be happy to donate yours to the cause Easty! Marcus could do with some hamstrings that worked properly.

Yes can play up forward a bit as well Marcus.

stefoid
27-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Agreed on Dal, it would be nice to have the luxury of playing him forward because he has all the traits of an aggressive small forward in the Cyrol Rioli style, albeit less class and more grunt.

Likewise Adams forward gives us that bustling medium forward presence that we miss with Stringer/Crameri gone. Way better mark than either of those guys.

We should have enough grunt in the midfield and tall defenders to move both of those guys forward.

We sure have a lot of depth now, all over the park. I think we probably even have enough forward depth, its just that we dont know who those players exactly are yet.

always right
28-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Is there any reason why Adams can’t play a Stringer type role up forward? He has the power and the explosiveness but unlike Stringer, he can mark overhead.

Go_Dogs
29-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Is there any reason why Adams can’t play a Stringer type role up forward? He has the power and the explosiveness but unlike Stringer, he can mark overhead.

If we see a combination of Trengove, Cordy and Young (perhaps Naughton at a pinch) able to play as our primary key defenders, no reason Adams can't spend the bulk of his time forward.

Does a forward line of Adams and Schache means Boyd plays in the ruck, or do we go the complete opposite way of everyone else and play 3 key targets up front, knowing Schache can spend time leading right up and Boyd will chop out in the ruck for patches, too?

LostDoggy
25-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Just not sure about his accuracy when having shot at goals.

GVGjr
25-02-2018, 11:16 PM

With some practice that shouldn't be a problem. I think we need Adams as a defender but it wouldn't surprise me if he is played forward from time to time.

Twodogs
26-02-2018, 03:46 AM

Yep. A career total of 4.7 would suggest that.

Mofra
26-02-2018, 08:48 AM
I don't; think Adams has the agility, nor would he play like a small forward (which is really how Stringer played).

Jam Donuts
26-02-2018, 02:45 PM

Interesting now that poor Dale is out for a while Jazza may well be right, Roarke will be a player if his knees hold up.

Axe Man
26-02-2018, 06:19 PM
Interesting now that poor Dale is out for a while Jazza may well be right, Roarke will be a player if his knees hold up.

You seem confident on Roarke, what have you seen in him to form such a high opinion?

The little I have seen of him over the years hasn't suggested to me that he's a long term player. I will be pleasantly surprised if he's still on the list next year.

jazzadogs
26-02-2018, 06:32 PM
I still see Roarke as being behind Cordy and Naughton for the third/mobile tall defender spot, but won't be surprised if he plays 8-10 matches throughout the year.

From all reports Redpath is a strong chance for round one with Schache, Boyd, Roughy and Campbell fighting it out for two spots as ruck/forwards.

Jam Donuts
26-02-2018, 06:44 PM
You seem confident on Roarke, what have you seen in him to form such a high opinion?

The little I have seen of him over the years hasn't suggested to me that he's a long term player. I will be pleasantly surprised if he's still on the list next year.

I saw him in between knees (not mine) at Port Melbourne and he played a very good game and was good overhead and at ground level, he backed this up in another couple of Footscray games, as a consequence I wasn't surprised that the club and coaches have given him another chance, he can play but as I said he has to doubtful with 2 knee reco's, I will back him in if he can stay on the park.

Axe Man
26-02-2018, 06:44 PM
I still see Roarke as being behind Cordy and Naughton for the third/mobile tall defender spot, but won't be surprised if he plays 8-10 matches throughout the year.

From all reports Redpath is a strong chance for round one with Schache, Boyd, Roughy and Campbell fighting it out for two spots as ruck/forwards.

I would say Redpath is not much chance for round 1 seeing as he's suspended. ;)

Twodogs
26-02-2018, 10:56 PM
I would say Redpath is not much chance for round 1 seeing as he's suspended. ;)

He is, that little prick Toby Greene is playing for GWS though.

Mofra
27-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Roarke is shorter than the 186cm Wood, I wouldn't want Roarke playing on tall opponents anyway.

jazzadogs
27-02-2018, 02:10 PM
I guess I see it more as Adams and Trengove as our two key tall defenders, then a mixture of Cordy, Wood, Roarke, Naughton as third tall/interceptors pending matchups. Roarke's leap allows him to put his hand up for that role - not for a 1v1 match up on Joe Daniher but for assistance as the extra in marking contests.

Rocco Jones
08-03-2018, 06:58 PM
I think with just one change in the two JLT games, we have a clear picture of our 22 in Round 1. I am guessing...

B: Wood, Adams, Naughton
HB: Crozier, Cordy, Biggs
C: Hunter, Macrae, Dahl
HF: JJ, Bont, Picken
F: Dale, Trengove, Dunkley
R: Roughy, McLean, Libba
I/C: Suckling, Williams, Daniel, Honeychurch/Schache
---------------------------------------------------------------
I think there will be a massive emphasis on versatility, especially with the peripheral players.

Wood and JJ will swing between forward and defence. Lots of guys rotating through mid and forward. Bont looks like he might help as a forward target.

I think ideally we want another tall forward but carrying one is a cardinal sin these days. Schache looks the preference due to his tank. I think Honeycurch is probably ahead of him at this stage.

bornadog
10-03-2018, 05:42 PM

What changes do posters see for Round 1 v GWS?

Rocco Jones
10-03-2018, 06:20 PM
My updated 22

I/C: Suckling, Williams, Daniel, Jong

Twodogs
10-03-2018, 08:41 PM
My updated 22

I/C: Suckling, Williams, Daniel, Jong

So Jong in for the Honeychurch/Schacse beast, the Honeyacshe.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-03-2018, 09:07 PM
I think with just one change in the two JLT games, we have a clear picture of our 22 in Round 1. I am guessing...

---------------------------------------------------------------
I think there will be a massive emphasis on versatility, especially with the peripheral players.

Wood and JJ will swing between forward and defence. Lots of guys rotating through mid and forward. Bont looks like he might help as a forward target.

I think ideally we want another tall forward but carrying one is a cardinal sin these days. Schache looks the preference due to his tank. I think Honeycurch is probably ahead of him at this stage.
Your team tends to highlight our lack of depth at the moment which was highlighted in today's performance against Collingwood. The lack of a quality key forward is a major concern.Without Tom Boyd at the moment Schache as yet has been unconvincing. I would prefer Jong to Honeychurch. The return of Picken and Daniel who are both smart players will make a big difference.
The backline without Wood and JJ has struggled with Wood's experience needed down back. Today showed that we are still very reliant on the likes of Bontempelli Liberatore Macrae and JJ with the lack of depth and class being a big concern. Macrae Dale and Williams will continue to improve, whilst Trengrove Naughton and Crozier will become very good players in what should prove a recruiting coup.
as a forward.