PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Injury You've Seen To A Bulldogs Player?

bulldogtragic
28-11-2017, 11:13 AM
As the title says, just Bulldogs players, and the worst injury you've ever seen. Such as broken arms, broken legs, knees, internal issues to lungs or other organs, broken facial bones etc. - I'm going to assume when kicking was more prevalent that olden day players might be unfortunate winners.

bornadog
28-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Besides Neil Sachs which I believe no one can ever see worse than that, (I hope), I will say Rodney Grinters elbow smashing Terry Wallets jaw. I was on the fence near by and that was horrible.

Ozza
28-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Mitch Wallis is the worst one I've seen.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2017, 11:33 AM

I was trying to work out mine, and I absolutely agree on Wally. I still turn my head if/when there's a replay.

bornadog
28-11-2017, 12:03 PM

The outcome was certainly one of the worse, but at the time, I couldn't tell what the injury was and how bad it was.

Happy Days
28-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Clay's ACL against the Saints. Was really angry at him being sent back out there.

bornadog
28-11-2017, 12:07 PM
Clay's ACL against the Saints. Was really angry at him being sent back out there.

I was almost crying when he did his 3rd ACL, felt so sorry for him.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Besides Neil Sachs which I believe no one can ever see worse than that, (I hope), I will say Rodney Grinters elbow smashing Terry Wallets jaw. I was on the fence near by and that was horrible.

I was on the Hawkins side which he was facing when Grinter assaulted him. It was a very violent, round arm smash, sickening. Being on the Hawkins side I was surrounded by Melb supporters, the one behind me cheering when the stretcher came out after yelling at Wallet to get up and stop faking! I lost a bit of control and grabbed the bastard by the shirt front and twisted and said "you want to be taken out.." Luckily he backed off.
That smash of Wallace's face was revolting and an argument for charging with assault.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Barry Hall cleaning Mitch Hahn in the NAB Cup Grand Final (I think) was a pretty bad one.

Neil Sasche was terrible. Being at the ground and seeing the players being so emotional is something I will never forget. But one of the worst injuries I saw was when Scott Wynd copped the sharp end of Justin Madden's elbow at the opening bounce at Optus Oval one day. Wynd lay in the middle of the ground convulsing-I thought he was a goner, I literally thought he was about to die-it was a horrible thing to watch.

That was the day Barry Standfield stood up and gave Maddern (who may have been a little bit tentative after that) a bath in the ruck.

Sedat
28-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Adrian Campbell tore 3 of his 4 knee ligaments at VFL Park one day - his knee could be moved at right angles such was the damage done. It was likened to a high speed car collision injury and completely wrecked a promising young career.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Adrian Campbell tore 3 of his 4 knee ligaments at VFL Park one day - his knee could be moved at right angles such was the damage done. It was likened to a high speed car collision injury and completely wrecked a promising young career.

Im sure he likened it to a motorbike accident.

I had a bit of a thing for motorbikes when I was younger and one of the things that opened my eyes to the danger of them (that and coming off a Triumph 750 going at 130 Ks along the really long roads where the petrol tankers are in Spotswood, I can still see the road coming up at me as the bike went down now) was the surgeon who operated on Adrian Campbell's remark that his injury was bad and the only other time he had seen that much damage was after a motorcycle (I don't know why the authorities always call them "motorcycles") accident. And from memory he was talking about a specific motorbike accident he had treated not in abstract notions about motorbike accidents. I'm happy to be corrected on that last bit though.

1eyedog
28-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Barry Hall cleaning Mitch Hahn in the NAB Cup Grand Final (I think) was a pretty bad one.

Neil Sasche was terrible. Being at the ground and seeing the players being so emotional is something I will never forget. But one of the worst injuries I saw was when Scott Wynd copped the sharp end of Justin Madden's elbow at the opening bounce at Optus Oval one day. Wynd lay in the middle of the ground convulsing-I thought he was a goner, I literally thought he was about to die-it was a horrible thing to watch.

That was the day Barry Standfield stood up and gave Maddern (who may have been a little bit tentative after that) a bath in the ruck.

I remember that game well. Fish stood up that day and stamped himself as one of my favourite players.

There have been so many!

Doug's knee in 86 was the worst injury in terms of timing, he was dominating the competition and at the peak of his powers.

Paul Dear's kick to Peter Foster's shin that broke his leg. Hawthorn went on to smash us when it counted because of that.

Bamblett's knee that effectively ended one of the best small forward in the comp's career.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 06:23 PM
I'd forgotten about Lal's knee.

LostDoggy
28-11-2017, 06:32 PM
I was 7 years old and standing near the fence in front of the John Gent Stand the day Neil Sachse did his injury. I can still feel the eerie silence that followed. Anyone there that day would have it top of the list I reckon.

Eastdog
28-11-2017, 06:58 PM

Me too. Yep it was pretty bad that one.

Others:

Bob's knee in 2016 :( The year we make a Grand Final and win.

Libba doing his knee in a pre season game at Whitten Oval in 2015.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Me too. Yep it was pretty bad that one.

Others:

Bob's knee in 2016 :( The year we make a Grand Final and win.

Libba doing his knee in a pre season game at Whitten Oval in 2015.

Bob's just standing there. Goes to compete in the marking contest and all of a sudden he is limping despite the minimal body contact. It was the most inoculess looking injury I have ever seen.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 08:02 PM
I was 7 years old and standing near the fence in front of the John Gent Stand the day Neil Sachse did his injury. I can still feel the eerie silence that followed. Anyone there that day would have it top of the list I reckon.

It was devastating,

Flamethrower
28-11-2017, 08:47 PM
I'll never forget the day Brian Perrin swallowed his tongue against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval. Watching him convulsing as a little tacker was quite disturbing.

Twodogs
28-11-2017, 10:03 PM
I'll never forget the day Brian Perrin swallowed his tongue against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval. Watching him convulsing as a little tacker was quite disturbing.

I don't remember that one. If Perrin was playing it must have been 1979 or 1980, I can remember Micky Conlan torching us one day at junction oval he was lobbing them through from every angle. I think it was the third quarter that he must have kicked 5 goals.

bornadog
28-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Barry Round breaking his leg, Essendon player did it on purpose at the scoreboard end. A shower of cans rained on to the ground hitting Essendon players.

Avoid the rush
29-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Apart from Neil Sachse and that horrible collision, I remember Cowboy Neale smashing a young bulldog , Stephen Boyle from Moe, in the face with his elbow, right in front of where we were watching and you could hear the sound of something smashing. Boyle lost his sight in his eye from that contact and never added to his six promising games for the bullies. One of my first memories of carnage and mayhem on the footy field occured at the old Carlton ground, just after big Cox of Carlton had flattened little Merv Hobbs. E.J. may have mentioned to big Berkley that there may be retribution, and sure enough not long after, Ted had flattened Cox , kept running WITH the BALL in hand and, from memory, kicked a goal, and didn't miss a beat. Ahh memories.....

Twodogs
29-11-2017, 07:53 AM
With the ball in his hand. Classic EJ. Playing the ball and the man at the same time.

bornadog
29-11-2017, 09:55 AM
I remember Cowboy Neale smashing a young bulldog , Stephen Boyle from Moe, in the face with his elbow, right in front of where we were watching and you could hear the sound of something smashing. Boyle lost his sight in his eye from that contact and never added to his six promising games for the bullies.

I had forgotten about that one, Neale was a dirty mongrel and that act was absolutely disgusting.

Didn't that happen the same year as Saches'.

Murphy'sLore
29-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Bloody hell, sometimes I regret I missed out on the good old days, then I read stuff like this and think, nup.

bornadog
29-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Bloody hell, sometimes I regret I missed out on the good old days, then I read stuff like this and think, nup.

Let me tell you about the so called good old days. There were a bunch of thugs that were actually gutless wonders who hit players from behind, or the player (victim) had their eye on the ball and were belted. The media called them tough guys but they were nothing of the sort.

We had a tough man in Rick Kennedy, who protected a lot of our young players, and when Rick confronted these bullies they were scared. There was a player called Jacko, a monster of a bloke who tried to scare players by running through them, never did anything from behind, like for example, that thug Lee Matthews. Jacko was once asked "who is the toughest guy you ever played on" and he said Rick Kennedy. The Journo was surprised and said why? Jacko responded, when I run straight at him he doesn't budge and I can tell from his eyes he is a mean bastard.

Rick was no angel himself and a gentle giant off field, but had white line fever when playing. I had a chat to him at a function recently and he is a very nice bloke.

So the good old days is actually not the good old days. Footy today is far better with great skills, speed and ball movement and the players today are genuinely tough.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Apart from Neil Sachse and that horrible collision, I remember Cowboy Neale smashing a young bulldog , Stephen Boyle from Moe, in the face with his elbow, right in front of where we were watching and you could hear the sound of something smashing. Boyle lost his sight in his eye from that contact and never added to his six promising games for the bullies. One of my first memories of carnage and mayhem on the footy field occured at the old Carlton ground, just after big Cox of Carlton had flattened little Merv Hobbs. E.J. may have mentioned to big Berkley that there may be retribution, and sure enough not long after, Ted had flattened Cox , kept running WITH the BALL in hand and, from memory, kicked a goal, and didn't miss a beat. Ahh memories.....

Neale and Boyle reminds me of big Noel Teasedale assaulting Gray or Grey? with a fist or forearm to the head and making his career short.

Twodogs
29-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Let me tell you about the so called good old days. There were a bunch of thugs that were actually gutless wonders who hit players from behind, or the player (victim) had their eye on the ball and were belted. The media called them tough guys but they were nothing of the sort.

We had a tough man in Rick Kennedy, who protected a lot of our young players, and when Rick confronted these bullies they were scared. There was a player called Jacko, a monster of a bloke who tried to scare players by running through them, never did anything from behind, like for example, that thug Lee Matthews. Jacko was once asked "who is the toughest guy you ever played on" and he said Rick Kennedy. The Journo was surprised and said why? Jacko responded, when I run straight at him he doesn't budge and I can tell from his eyes he is a mean bastard.

Rick was no angel himself and a gently giant off field, but had white line fever when playing. I had a chat to him at a function recently and he is a very nice bloke.

So the good old days is actually not the good old days. Footy today is far better with great skills, speed and ball movement and the players today are genuinely tough.

Talking of Rick reminds me of when we were living in Moonee Ponds back in the mid 80s. One friday night we went to the fish shop and there he was the man himself. My flat mate (who's daughter ironically is playing AFLW) walked around him three times and just said "tits, you're tits!" (We may have been smoking a few substances just before:D) He just looked down at her and said "that's right darling, I am!"

But I agree with the rest of what you said. A lot of the old time tough guys were just thugs. Like Leigh Matthews, ask Barrie Robran about his opinion of what a tough guy Lethal Leigh was.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Dermie also has said the guy he feared most was Rick Kennedy. Agree footy back then with snipers wasn't tough. The only caveat being protecting young players which many of well known players did. I remember a story about Doug Hawkins in his final junior year. The opposition coach told a midfielder to knock Doug out at the start of the game. It got to quarter time and Doug was fine and went to his huddle. The opposition coach asked his midfielder why Doug was still upright. The midfielder said he hit Doug in the head 5 or 6 times as hard as he could, but Doug hit him as hard as he could and he wasn't prepared to cop another hit from Doug.

Not to justify violence, a player could remonstrate for an attack on him or his team mates. I think thugs like that pissweak mongrel from GWS know they're not going to get hurt after committing dog acts. Thomas Bugg for his hit on the Sydney player this year would've been more than pushed or shoved (and then getting the free kick for falling over). But of all of this, I think the current players are far more tougher too. Reading some of the stories I've not heard before, I'm happy to not have to witness such acts and horrific injuries.

Remi Moses
29-11-2017, 11:41 AM
The Sachse injury . Still remember it even though I was only seven .
Wallis injury right up there . That was horrific

bulldogtragic
29-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Someone put up the Sachse injury on YouTube. That's all kinds of horrific.

bornadog
29-11-2017, 12:10 PM
I know Nathan Judas Brown was with Richmond, but watching that footage of the player falling over his leg and the way his leg was dangling was awful to watch

bornadog
29-11-2017, 12:13 PM
This is tough, Tony Libba going for the mark and putting himself in front of Sav Rocca

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/tony-liberatore-for-the-bulldogs-with-his-broken-nose-strapped-up-picture-id1180548?s=594x594

bulldogtragic
29-11-2017, 12:22 PM
I know Nathan Judas Brown was with Richmond, but watching that footage of the player falling over his leg and the way his leg was dangling was awful to watch

Yep. If we're open to all clubs, Richard Osborne as a swan getting a tracheotomy after getting knocked out at the SCG. Trent Hencthels career ending knee. James Hird's facial injury. Darren Cresswell hitting his dislocated knee cap back in. Lonergan losing a kidney.

westdog54
29-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Paul Callery was a lecturer at my uni. He told me a story about almost dying on the field.

He was shirtfronted in the middle and knocked out, and vomited which blocked his windpipe. He had to be revived on the field.

Twodogs
29-11-2017, 01:23 PM
This is tough, Tony Libba going for the mark and putting himself in front of Sav Rocca

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/tony-liberatore-for-the-bulldogs-with-his-broken-nose-strapped-up-picture-id1180548?s=594x594

Toughest player ever. The pain and abuse that man could cop with a smile in his face was unbelievable. Talk about your racist, libellous sledging from the crowd. But Tony just ran to the next contest and took his frustration and anger out on the ball (and opposition sometimes)

He was a freak of nature. My all time favourite.

Jeanette54
29-11-2017, 06:50 PM
The Neil Sachse injury was the worst, no question. That day is an indelible memory.

However one of the strangest "injuries" I have seen on the field involved an umpires advisor (Bob Nunn) who collapsed on the field and was carried off on a stretcher. He wasn't actually umpiring at the time, just instructing the field umpires, so from memory it must have been three quarter time. He eventually recovered in hospital.

Twodogs
29-11-2017, 10:34 PM
One of the first things I have a really clear explicit memory of seeing at Whitten oval was Peter Knights being stretchered off the ground and the trainers accidentally dropping him off the stretcher when they were halfway up the race. It got to the ludicrous stage where they were almost wedged into that tiny space the visitors race occupied after Knights had fallen off because they were having all sorts of trouble managing the stretcher, the unconscious Peter Knights who was pretty much a dead weight and four trainers all getting in each other's way busily trying to prove who was the most important.

It was like watching four Brendan Goddards trying to out point each other

BornInDroopSt'54
30-11-2017, 11:27 AM
The Neil Sachse injury was the worst, no question. That day is an indelible memory.

However one of the strangest "injuries" I have seen on the field involved an umpires advisor (Bob Nunn) who collapsed on the field and was carried off on a stretcher. He wasn't actually umpiring at the time, just instructing the field umpires, so from memory it must have been three quarter time. He eventually recovered in hospital.
Good to know he recovered. A school friend of mine, Greg Sidebottom who umpired at AFL level, died umpiring recently. I guess it was like the old guys who die on the golf course. The buddhists would say they chose their point of exit, doing something they love.

Twodogs
30-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Good to know he recovered. A school friend of mine, Greg Sidebottom who umpired at AFL level, died umpiring recently. I guess it was like the old guys who die on the golf course. The buddhists would say they chose their point of exit, doing something they love.

I remember that name. Did he play cricket around the west?

Sorry to hear of his passing.

always right
30-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Agree....horrible day. Remember being in the Whitten Stand watching him being loaded into the ambulance out the back.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-11-2017, 02:48 PM
I remember that name. Did he play cricket around the west?

Sorry to hear of his passing.

I doubt it. School was FTG and I think he stayed in the area.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/legendary-country-football-umpire-greg-sidebottom-dies-during-match-20160402-gnwzah.html
Greg was a great guy. Always had a smile on his dial.

Twodogs
30-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Agree....horrible day. Remember being in the Whitten Stand watching him being loaded into the ambulance out the back.

Oh yeah, I can remember watching that too. It's just come back to me.

I doubt it. School was FTG and I think he stayed in the area.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/legendary-country-football-umpire-greg-sidebottom-dies-during-match-20160402-gnwzah.html
Greg was a great guy. Always had a smile on his dial.

Cheers. There was a fella with the same name that I played cricket against. Now it's going to bother me until I think of what club and why he stands out until I remember.

Eastdog
30-11-2017, 04:39 PM
I don't remember that one. If Perrin was playing it must have been 1979 or 1980, I can remember Micky Conlan torching us one day at junction oval he was lobbing them through from every angle. I think it was the third quarter that he must have kicked 5 goals.

Brian Perrin played for us between 1980-1983

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brian_Perrin.html

The Underdog
30-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Dale Morris breaking his leg at Etihad. I was on level 3 behind the goals and could see the leg was just all wrong from there.

Most devestating was Clay Smith doing his 2nd ACL at Whitten Oval. His parents were there and his mum and Clay were both in tears.

Twodogs
30-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Brian Perrin played for us between 1980-1983

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brian_Perrin.html

He certainly did Easty. He wore number 40 from memory. Every week over those four years, depending on whether he was playing in the seniors or not, a very dedicated Beian Perrin fan used to hang a sign saying either "Keep Brian Perrin in the Seniors" or "Play Brian Perrin in the Seniors" next to the players race of the ground we played at. If you watch the footage you will see the sign week in and week out.

LostDoggy
30-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah, I can remember watching that too. It's just come back to me.

Cheers. There was a fella with the same name that I played cricket against. Now it's going to bother me until I think of what club and why he stands out until I remember.
You're not thinking of Michael Shepparbottom are you TD? He was a supertalented cricketer and footballer who dominated western suburbs junior comps through the late 70s/early 80s. He played for Braybrook from memory. Played for Footscray reserves as a 16 year old.

Webby
30-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Paul Dear kicking Peter Foster sticks in the memory. Not as bad to view as the Morris or Wallis leg breaks, but ultimately more severe. From memory, Fossie had awful trouble with the leg after that. I believe it was either infected or didn't quite heal properly. He missed the '92 finals (which cost us dearly) and Dear got a four week suspension.

I remember going from being really chuffed for Dear after he won the '91 Norm Smith medal to absolutely hating his guts a dozen games later. It was a very, very ordinary effort.

Bulldog Joe
30-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Paul Dear kicking Peter Foster sticks in the memory. Not as bad to view as the Morris or Wallis leg breaks, but ultimately more severe. From memory, Fossie had awful trouble with the leg after that. I believe it was either infected or didn't quite heal properly. He missed the '92 finals (which cost us dearly) and Dear got a four week suspension.

I remember going from being really chuffed for Dear after he won the '91 Norm Smith medal to absolutely hating his guts a dozen games later. It was a very, very ordinary effort.

The Paul Dear incident gives me the most unpalatable football memory in my life.

In 1993 I brought my 2 youngest sons across from Tassie and we attended the game against Hawthorn. We found a spot on the fence near the Geelong Rd end on Gordon St side and were unfortunate to sit next to an obnoxious Hawk supporter who continually called for Foster to be kicked in the leg every time he got near the ball.

A despicable example of human life.

Twodogs
01-12-2017, 12:21 AM
You're not thinking of Michael Shepparbottom are you TD? He was a supertalented cricketer and footballer who dominated western suburbs junior comps through the late 70s/early 80s. He played for Braybrook from memory. Played for Footscray reserves as a 16 year old.

Yep, good call. I think that I am thinking of Bucky. Michael was indeed a Braybrook boy. And outrageously super talented with it.

Webby
01-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Yep, good call. I think that I am thinking of Bucky. Michael was indeed a Braybrook boy. And outrageously super talented with it.

Doug Hawkins still says to this day that Bucky is the most talented footballer he's seen..

Not sure I've mixed him up with someone else, but ive got it in my head that he is Heath Scotland's step father. Although I could stand corrected on that.

I believe a fairly bulky Bucky played VFA for Sunshine in the 1980's.

Twodogs
01-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Doug Hawkins still says to this day that Bucky is the most talented footballer he's seen..

Not sure I've mixed him up with someone else, but ive got it in my head that he is Heath Scotland's step father. Although I could stand corrected on that.

I believe a fairly bulky Bucky played VFA for Sunshine in the 1980's.

Heh! Bulky Bucky!

He played at Sunshine back when Norm Brown was coach and things were going well for them IIRC.

The Heath Scotland thing is interesting. I did notice something unusual I didn't know when I looked up his draft year in the AFL record book that has all the draft stars in it. It could've have been that he went F/S. But Shepperbottom played a couple of games at Footscray. How would that enable Scotland to go to Collingwood as a F/S?

Webby
01-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Heh! Bulky Bucky!

He played at Sunshine back when Norm Brown was coach and things were going well for them IIRC.

The Heath Scotland thing is interesting. I did notice something unusual I didn't know when I looked up his draft year in the AFL record book that has all the draft stars in it. It could've have been that he went F/S. But Shepperbottom played a couple of games at Footscray. How would that enable Scotland to go to Collingwood as a F/S?

I could be wrong, but I thought Scotland was just a normal draft pick. Not F/S.

He played for Braybrook and then out Bacchus Marsh way. Most here would know Douggie beat a similar life path. Not sure if it was Buckie or another of Doug's mates, but Doug was definitely close to Scotland's step dad - who was also from around Braybrook.

Twodogs
02-12-2017, 02:32 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought Scotland was just a normal draft pick. Not F/S.

He played for Braybrook and then out Bacchus Marsh way. Most here would know Douggie beat a similar life path. Not sure if it was Buckie or another of Doug's mates, but Doug was definitely close to Scotland's step dad - who was also from around Braybrook.

Doug and Mark Hunter are pretty close too. That's one of the reasons Lachy being offered number 7 was such a big thing.