PDA

View Full Version : Christmas and New Year 2018

merantau
19-12-2017, 09:03 PM
A big shout out to all Woofers for Christmas. May it be a great occasion for all of you and your families.
May 2018 bring you all things good - health, happiness and success in all your endeavours.
May season 2018 see our beloved Club have sustained success built on an ethos of hard work and togetherness.
And finally a big thank you for those who work hard to make WOOF the go to site for all things Bulldog. There is a lot of thought provoking, perceptive, humourous and intelligent commentary on WOOF so thank you one and all.

Eastdog
19-12-2017, 09:09 PM
Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you merantau and family and to all woofers. Thanks to all who make WOOF possible so we can discuss our Bulldogs.

May 2018 see the Bulldogs rise once again.

boydogs
19-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Well said Merantau

Same to you & yours, and to all Woofers

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Ditto

LostDoggy
20-12-2017, 12:19 AM
A happy and safe Xmas to you all! Loving the cricket and a few weeks off work after a frantic year, ocean times with kids and the dog.

AFL 2018 should get very interesting.

Twodogs
20-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Have yourselves a very merry Christmas folks.

WBFC4FFC
22-12-2017, 04:13 PM
A big shout out to all Woofers for Christmas. May it be a great occasion for all of you and your families.
May 2018 bring you all things good - health, happiness and success in all your endeavours.
May season 2018 see our beloved Club have sustained success built on an ethos of hard work and togetherness.
And finally a big thank you for those who work hard to make WOOF the go to site for all things Bulldog. There is a lot of thought provoking, perceptive, humourous and intelligent commentary on WOOF so thank you one and all.

Happy Festivus for tomorrow too!

KT31
24-12-2017, 01:07 AM
Merry Christmas to all Woofers and may it be a safe, wonderful and successful Bulldogs New Year.

Twodogs
24-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Happy Wigilia everyone.

Eastdog
24-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Going to my Uncle's for Christmas lunch. Will be the last Christmas at their house as they are moving to a new house in the new year.

Twodogs
24-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Going to my Uncle's for Christmas lunch. Will be the last Christmas at their house as they are moving to a new house in the new year.

Have you been going there long Easty? Anyway it's not the where it's the who that's important at Christmas time. Everything changes.

Eastdog
24-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Have you been going there long Easty? Anyway it's not the where it's the who that's important at Christmas time. Everything changes.

So true Twodogs. Yeah quite a number of years now. The place doesn't matter as you say it's the family and friends that's the most important.

Twodogs
24-12-2017, 04:54 PM
So true Twodogs. Yeah quite a number of years now. The place doesn't matter it's the family that's the most important.

My dad died in May. It's a bit weird him not being here and it's Christmas, especially because it's the first one we will miss him for. . We'd be fishing somewhere about now, well we'd have rods in the water, I can't remember the last time we caught anything but catching fish wasn't the point.

Eastdog
24-12-2017, 04:55 PM
My dad died in May. It's a bit weird him not being here and it's Christmas, especially because it's the first one we will miss him for. . We'd be fishing somewhere about now, well we'd have rods in the water, I can't remember the last time we caught anything but catching fish wasn't the point.

Sorry to hear that Twodogs.

Twodogs
24-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Sorry to hear that Twodogs.

Cheers mate but Dad grew up on a farm. Death is just part of life on a farm.

Dry Rot
24-12-2017, 07:46 PM

Know how you feel. My Swans supporting dad had a heart attack and died watching the 2016 GF, killed by the Bulldogs. And this year has been shit for me and the Bulldogs.

But onwards and upwards for 2018! Merry Christmas everyone, and have a great 2018.

If the Dogs are fit with a good attitude, and Schache and Boyd fire, the flag is ours!

AndrewP6
24-12-2017, 09:03 PM
I'm typically a big Christmas fan, but with Mum in hospital, the sheen is well and truly off. Spent the arvo there and will go back tomorrow. Watching the Carols at home tonight, has been a tradition to watch it at Mum's for years.

Merry Christmas to all.

bornadog
24-12-2017, 09:25 PM

Know how you feel. My Swans supporting dad had a heart attack and died watching the 2016 GF, killed by the Bulldogs. And this year has been shit for me and the Bulldogs.

But onwards and upwards for 2018! Merry Christmas everyone, and have a great 2018.

If the Dogs are fit with a good attitude, and Schache and Boyd fire, the flag is ours!

Think of the good times you had with your dads, those memories will last forever, and it's nice talking about them and remembering those times you had together.

I'm typically a big Christmas fan, but with Mum in hospital, the sheen is well and truly off. Spent the arvo there and will go back tomorrow. Watching the Carols at home tonight, has been a tradition to watch it at Mum's for years.

Merry Christmas to all.

Hope your Mum recovers soon.

Have a great Christmas and wishing everyone a great 2018

Scraggers
24-12-2017, 10:33 PM
It seems like a sad Christmas for a lot of us Woofers; my brother -in-law has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. This will be his last Christmas. We will celebrate hard and make memories for all of us.

2018 we will play finals footy again ... and as we know, then anything is possible.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

Twodogs
24-12-2017, 10:53 PM
Think of the good times you had with your dads, those memories will last forever, and it's nice talking about them and remembering those times you had together.

Thanks BAD you're a star mate.

It seems like a sad Christmas for a lot of us Woofers; my brother -in-law has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. This will be his last Christmas. We will celebrate hard and make memories for all of us.

2018 we will play finals footy again ... and as we know, then anything is possible.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

My advice is to have a ball and enjoy time together.

Max469
25-12-2017, 03:19 AM
Merry Christmas everyone. Sadness does tend to appear this time of the year and the first Christmas with out a parent, sibling or friend is the worst feeling ever and knowing it will be the last is just the same feeling.

My heart goes out to you all.

My mother would have been 101 today if she had been still alive.

ledge
25-12-2017, 10:04 AM
I wonder how many of us woofers are around the 50s age bracket ?
My dads 87 we had family day yesterday and we all had lunch etc and 2 hours afterwards he asked when's lunch, a little dementia seeping in, both parents are in an aged care place now but we get them out on special occasions.
I got to thinking it might be the last one with my dad Too , he either won't be around next one or won't know about it.
Merry Christmas to all and enjoy the family gatherings !

Remi Moses
25-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Happy festivus folks

Eastdog
25-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Back home now from Christmas lunch. Just feel like relaxing right now as we do usually every Christmas night.

Eastdog
25-12-2017, 07:04 PM

Merry Christmas to all.

All the best for your Mum Andrew.

Twodogs
25-12-2017, 07:17 PM

Merry Christmas to all.

Hope that you mum is alright Andrew.

Eastdog
27-12-2017, 10:43 PM
So will you be back down to Australia merantau to see the Doggies in action for a bit in 2018?

Twodogs
27-12-2017, 10:53 PM
So will you be back down to Australia merantau to see the Doggies in action for a bit in 2018?

He will be making he trek back for the grand final Easty.

Eastdog
31-12-2017, 03:17 PM
I wish all woofers a happy and safe new year. I have enjoyed another year on WOOF discussing the Doggies and other things and look forward to doing it again in 2018 along with setting up all the weekly set threads again along with starting the game day threads along with Twodogs and Go_Dogs with GVGjr moving them across. Bulldogtragic is excellent with all the drafting/new recruits threads on the draft board.

Go Dogs!

Twodogs
31-12-2017, 03:38 PM
I wish all woofers a happy and safe new year. I have enjoyed another year on WOOF discussing the Doggies and other things and look forward to doing it again in 2018 along with setting up all the weekly set threads again along with starting the game day threads along with Twodogs and Go_Dogs with GVGjr moving them across. Bulldogtragic is excellent with all the drafting/new recruits threads on the draft board.

Go Dogs!

And another premiership. One that we actually know how to really celebrate and not just think "Thank you God. Now I can die happy!"

Eastdog
31-12-2017, 04:03 PM
And another premiership. One that we actually know how to really celebrate and not just think "Thank you God. Now I can die happy!"

Another 3 flags and we surpass Norf :)

GVGjr
31-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Happy new year to all.

Go Dogs

Max469
31-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Happy New Year to all.

Enjoy & stay Safe.

Go Doggies.

Twodogs
01-01-2018, 12:54 AM
Another 3 flags and we surpass Norf :)

Oh I like that. Being a more successful club than the cow *!*!*!*!ers is a dream of mine. It offends me (and it should offend every bulldog supporter) that minuscule little club they run on the smell of an oily rag has more flags than us.

Eastdog
01-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Oh I like that. Being a more successful club than the cow *!*!*!*!ers is a dream of mine. It offends me (and it should offend every bulldog supporter) that minuscule little club they run on the smell of an oily rag has more flags than us.

5 AFL/VFL Bulldog premierships to 4 Kangaroo AFL/VFL premierships now that sounds good.

Twodogs
01-01-2018, 11:01 PM
5 AFL/VFL Bulldog premierships to 4 Kangaroo AFL/VFL premierships now that sounds good.

A hatrick of premierships would get us there.

Eastdog
01-01-2018, 11:04 PM
A hatrick of premierships would get us there.

= Bulldog premiers

Don't want to get to ahead of ourselves but that would be very nice in the history books.

:) :)

LostDoggy
02-01-2018, 02:15 PM
A lot like the "three peat" back at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century!!

Eastdog
02-01-2018, 03:40 PM
A lot like the "three peat" back at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century!!

The early VFA years.

Twodogs
02-01-2018, 04:57 PM

I think we were only a few goals away from a sixpeat between 1919-1924. We won in 1919-20, just got pipped in the 1921-1922 GFs and won the 1923 and 1924 premierships fairly comfortably.

Then we had a 90 year break from that competition, entered a team again in 2014 and promptly won another one! Almost a seven peat. :cool:

merantau
03-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Have been back for 8 wks. Here until mid year so will see a lot of games😊

merantau
03-01-2018, 12:04 PM
He will be making he trek back for the grand final Easty.

I will indeed! 2016 was the ride of my life.

Eastdog
03-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Have been back for 8 wks. Here until mid year so will see a lot of games��

That's great merantau. So do you get an international Bulldog type membership or just a regular one?

merantau
03-01-2018, 10:34 PM
That's great merantau. So do you get an international Bulldog type membership or just a regular one?

I am Bulldog for Life, Easty. Member for 41 years now. When I was a kid the Club used to give my primary school season's tickets so me and me mates started going to games in 1956. We used to collect Boon Spa bottles for a bit of pocket money. Saw Charlie Sutton, Herb Henderson, Petet Box, Jim Gallagher, Jack Collins (he was great at ground level as well as on the air) Wally Donald, Don Ross etc and of course the greatest player ever to pull on a football boot - Ted Whitten. He was Mr. Football. No one has ever come close to replicating the impact he had on the game. He had an immensely likeable personality.
So, although we did not have a lot of success in the late 50 and 60s I always felt it was a privilege to barrack for the Dogs. The Club is imprinted on my brain. It has been a motor that has generated such a torrent of emotions that I will always be indebted to the army off people who have contributed over the years.

Eastdog
03-01-2018, 10:45 PM
I am Bulldog for Life, Easty. Member for 41 years now. When I was a kid the Club used to give my primary school season's tickets so me and me mates started going to games in 1956. We used to collect Boon Spa bottles for a bit of pocket money. Saw Charlie Sutton, Herb Henderson, Petet Box, Jim Gallagher, Jack Collins (he was great at ground level as well as on the air) Wally Donald, Don Ross etc and of course the greatest player ever to pull on a football boot - Ted Whitten. He was Mr. Football. No one has ever come close to replicating the impact he had on the game. He had an immensely likeable personality.
So, although we did not have a lot of success in the late 50 and 60s I always felt it was a privilege to barrack for the Dogs. The Club is imprinted on my brain. It has been a motor that has generated such a torrent of emotions that I will always be indebted to the army off people who have contributed over the years.

When TV started the late 1950s :) some great Bulldog names there.

Yeah I've been a Doggies man since the early 2000s and a member since 2013. This will be my 6th year as a Bulldog member and 3rd year being a Whitten Social club member.

Twodogs
03-01-2018, 11:07 PM

Whitten was awesome. Back in the 1980s during school holidays I was having a kick at the footy ground with my mates. EJ and Charlie Sutton were about 30 metres away from me looking at a folder EJ was holding. My mate kicked the ball bo past me and it bounced toward them and cheeky me yelled "excuse me mister, could we have our ball back?" Without looking up from the folder he was studying Ted kicked the ball of the side of his boot and the bloody thing pinged at me like a tracer bullet, hit me on the chest and knocked me on my arse. As I picked myself up I heard Charlie laugh and say to EJ "You've still got it Teddy old son".

And that's the story of the only time Ted Whitten kicked a ball to me!:D

Eastdog
03-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Gee I wish I had the opportunity to meet EJ. He would have been a great guy to have a beer with in the pub talking about the Doggies.

Twodogs
04-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Gee I wish I had the opportunity to meet EJ. He would have been a great guy to have a beer with in the pub talking about the Doggies.

He had a handshake you couldn't forget Easty. He would clasp your hand really tightly and draw you toward him.

merantau
04-01-2018, 09:42 AM
I met him when I was about 12. He had a driving school and took my brother for his licence test. After he passed they came back home to Braybrook and Ted came in and sat at the kitchen table for a cup of tea and some fruit cake. He was a top bloke. I remember him being very friendly and interested in hearing about our trip out from England on the boat in 1951. I was 2 years old and nearly died of viral meningitis. My parents were told I might not make it so I was baptised at sea. I still have the Certificate issued by St Mary's in Port Melbourne. The doctor who saved me was put off the boat in Colombo because he'd been getting in to the ship's morphine supplies.
Are you still out there mate? I owe you a beer!

Twodogs
04-01-2018, 10:36 AM
I met him when I was about 12. He had a driving school and took my brother for his licence test. After he passed they came back home to Braybrook and Ted came in and sat at the kitchen table for a cup of tea and some fruit cake. He was a top bloke. I remember him being very friendly and interested in hearing about our trip out from England on the boat in 1951. I was 2 years old and nearly died of viral meningitis. My parents were told I might not make it so I was baptised at sea. I still have the Certificate issued by St Mary's in Port Melbourne. The doctor who saved me was put off the boat in Colombo because he'd been getting in to the ship's morphine supplies.
Are you still out there mate? I owe you a beer!

Saying that EJ had a cup of tea reminded me that he was mainly tea total.