PDA

View Full Version : Sam Power appointed Dogs' new General Manager of List and Recruiting

Axe Man
20-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Sam Power appointed Dogs' new General Manager of List and Recruiting (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-12-20/dogs-announce-new-general-manager-of-list-and-recruiting)
https://s9.postimg.org/hd7yrriu7/2_71457406.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
The Western Bulldogs have appointed Sam Power as its new General Manager of List and Recruiting.

In a new structure, Power will oversee the Club’s total list management strategy, including TPP management and compliance, player contracting, player acquisition and recruiting.

He will arrive at Victoria University Whitten Oval in the New Year having spent the last four seasons at the Carlton Football Club, where he undertook a number of roles in the areas of company secretary, football operations, player talent ID, governance and compliance, total player payments and risk management.

Prior to his time at Carlton, Power practiced law at Clayton Utz.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Sam to the Western Bulldogs, and we’re excited about the impact he can make to this important position within our football program,” said Bulldogs’ Director of Football, Chris Grant.

“Sam brings a wealth of knowledge and a diverse skill set in a number of important areas which we see as crucial to the success of our list management and recruiting.

“As we continue to aspire to be ahead of the game within all areas of our business, Sam’s background in football, his knowledge of football department practices and experience in the corporate world made him an ideal candidate.”

Power played 84 games with the Bulldogs between 2002 and 2007, after being selected at pick 10 in the 2001 NAB AFL National Draft.

He added a further 39 games after being traded to North Melbourne at end of the 2007 season, before spending two seasons with VFL club Coburg, where he won back-to-back Best and Fairest awards.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity to join the Western Bulldogs in this new role, where I’ll have the chance to work with a young and exciting playing list,” Power said.

“It’s great to be able to return to the Club where I spent six years as a player, and I’m eager to work with the list and recruiting team to help the Bulldogs achieve more success.

“I’d like to thank the Carlton Football Club for their support over the last four years, which allowed me to enhance the skills that I will utilise at the Bulldogs.”

Mantis
20-12-2017, 02:38 PM
The surgeon returns... Wow!

Twodogs
20-12-2017, 02:39 PM
84 games with us. Can we also count the games in his new role towards the F/S qualification?

There's serious talent in those Power genes.

Twodogs
20-12-2017, 02:42 PM
The surgeon returns... Wow!

It's ironic that in the photo in the OP he has the ball in his hands and he is looking down the ground. Not sideways.

Bulldog Joe
20-12-2017, 02:44 PM
As a player Sam seemed to lack the confidence, but he did play some good footy.

Hopefully, he quickly develops an effective working relationship with Dalrymple and sets the club on the path to ongoing and recurring success.

Remi Moses
20-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Good luck to sam .

bornadog
20-12-2017, 04:31 PM
All the best to Sam. Another lawyer joins management.

Smads57
20-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Good to have you back at the Kennel Sam.

GVGjr
20-12-2017, 08:13 PM
It's an interesting appointment and he has a wide and varied CV. This is a huge appointment for him.
Good luck to Sam and his team. He has some critical names to get signed, sealed and delivered and I hope he is a strong negotiator particularity at the trade table.

bulldogtragic
20-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Forgetting much of his footy. What I remember of him was that every time the media banged on to Will Minson about how he was the most intelligent player in the AFEL, Will always immediately said that Sam Power had him covered (for intellect/IQ/smarts etc). Clayton Utz on his CV is impressive considering they'd get about 500 CVs for a handful of spots a year. Hope that powerful brain of his extends into the new role.

Gordon, Bains, Power. We like lawyers.

boydogs
20-12-2017, 10:59 PM

Maybe Gordon rates that skillset

Twodogs
21-12-2017, 12:14 AM
Forgetting much of his footy. What I remember of him was that every time the media banged on to Will Minson about how he was the most intelligent player in the AFEL, Will always immediately said that Sam Power had him covered (for intellect/IQ/smarts etc). Clayton Utz on his CV is impressive considering they'd get about 500 CVs for a handful of spots a year. Hope that powerful brain of his extends into the new role.

Maybe Gordon rates that skillset

Lawyers rule the world. If you can't beat them then you may as well surround yourself with the best.

LostDoggy
21-12-2017, 12:26 AM
Sam certainly sounds like a well credentialled, astute guy. Not sure his list management experience learnt at Carlton (most recycled players in AFL) fills me with confidence though....

westdog54
21-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Sam certainly sounds like a well credentialled, astute guy. Not sure his list management experience learnt at Carlton (most recycled players in AFL) fills me with confidence though....

I dare say SOS would have had more to do with that than Sam did.

Rocket Science
21-12-2017, 02:03 PM
My most vivid recollection of his playing days in our colours is that my throat was often sore.

May he hit more targets as an administrator than he did with the boots on.

bornadog
21-12-2017, 04:19 PM
My most vivid recollection of his playing days in our colours is that my throat was often sore.

May he hit more targets as an administrator than he did with the boots on.

Quicker disposer of the ball than Dahl, but usually to nowhere. :D

Eastdog
21-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Good luck Sam.

Twodogs
21-12-2017, 08:57 PM
I still think that Sam Power was one of the best handballers I had seen but he started to get worse after his second season to the extent he was regularly floating hospital passes by the time he left.

boydogs
21-12-2017, 10:25 PM
Power was a worse up and under kick than even Macrae

But if we all judged administrators by their playing days, Bevo wouldn't have a flag

Twodogs
21-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Power was a worse up and under kick than even Macrae

But if we all judged administrators by their playing days, Bevo wouldn't have a flag

Indeed. For that matter Jmac wasn't exactly Hayden Bunton.

ratsmac
22-12-2017, 12:20 AM
Power was disappointing as a player for me by that I mean he wasn't as good as his brother (I had high expectations). But in saying that being better than a triple premiership player is no easy feat. Well I hope he isn't a disappointing list manager.

All the best Sam and congratulations on the new job.

LostDoggy
22-12-2017, 12:56 AM
I dare say SOS would have had more to do with that than Sam did.

No doubt, but I reckon it would've been preferable for Sam to have served his apprenticeship within a system that got better results. Not saying he'll be no good, but it's a bit like recruiting an assistant coach from a Carlton or a Gold Coast, you've just got to hope the individual is way better than the system he is coming from.

comrade
22-12-2017, 08:21 AM
No doubt, but I reckon it would've been preferable for Sam to have served his apprenticeship within a system that got better results. Not saying he'll be no good, but it's a bit like recruiting an assistant coach from a Carlton or a Gold Coast, you've just got to hope the individual is way better than the system he is coming from.

Given his experience, he may come in with some very firm ideas as to what not to do from a list management perspective.

WBFC4FFC
22-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Given his experience, he may come in with some very firm ideas as to what not to do from a list management perspective.

Yeah. Let’s hope he knows there is more to recruiting then just grabbing Giant’s players not good enough for a game in their ones!

bornadog
17-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Sam Power on Bob's Freedom in a Cage - listen here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-05-17/freedom-in-a-cage-episode-8-sam-power)

Gives some insight into recruitment and list management

craigsahibee
18-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Have a listen at around the 38 minute mark, when in the segment immediately after Sam, Adi refers to him as Luke! :eek:

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Good luck to Sam Power. Our current list clearly isn’t good enough and in need of a shake up. There has been an over emphasis on recruiting taller players at the expense of quality mid to smaller players who can impact today’s style of football. We also need greater emphasis on players with good kicking skills.

Remi Moses
24-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Exactly NBP . We need kicking and skill

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Exactly NBP . We need kicking and skill

And speed.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2019, 11:59 PM
Gotta say, Power is one of the club's highest performers.

After coming on after the 2017 draft, he's gone about re-signing Bontempelli, got long deals from Hunter, McLean & Naughton, early too. Re-signed Wallis (had fa offers), Libba, Wood, Lipinski, Richards, English, Gowers, Jong, La Young, Greene & Lynch (probably others). He's been signing up guns a year or more before necessary. That's a great pro-activity for a list manager. After Naughton's signing, we have Boyd, Naughton, English, Cordy & Schache signed up for 2020-2024.

Last year he tried to use, and nearly successfully used, the Hurley Money on Wingard. Failing that didn't desperately chase any other big names (ie May). Then grabbed Lloyd and Duryea for 4th rounders. Then got fair value for Adams at the last minute. Allowed Dahl leave, which was the best decision all round.

Then at the draft, he used the rule changes to ensure Khamis could fall to the rookie list and get a free hit with Hayes. Then used live trading to get Rhylee West on the cheap, while bringing a 2019 3rd rounder (via St Kilda). He didn't stuff around risking landing Bailey Smith by using a pick swap, which is another tick.

Now he finds himself with still a very large chunk of salary cap, despite some big signings, and a war chest of draft picks this year. Might be time to lock him away with a contract extension.

hujsh
11-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Naughton is the best achievement on his resume for me. Young WA lad who can play well as a KPP at either end so you know both the WA clubs would be right into him and he's locked in for 4 extra years. That means at least 4 extra years before we can be strongarmed into trading him while he still has a year on his contract.

bornadog
11-04-2019, 11:24 AM
I was a little disappointed The Bont wasn't signed for a longer period. We need him as a Bulldog for life.

Overall he is doing a good job.

Axe Man
11-04-2019, 11:43 AM
I was a little disappointed The Bont wasn't signed for a longer period. We need him as a Bulldog for life.

Overall he is doing a good job.

I don't think there was much Power could do about that. I'm sure they would have given Bont any length contract he wanted, but he acted within his rights to extend only until free agency comes into play. The test will be getting him re-signed well before the end of that season. If Sam is doing his job we will have to cash banked to head off any free agency offers.

ledge
11-04-2019, 03:49 PM
I don't think there was much Power could do about that. I'm sure they would have given Bont any length contract he wanted, but he acted within his rights to extend only until free agency comes into play. The test will be getting him re-signed well before the end of that season. If Sam is doing his job we will have to cash banked to head off any free agency offers.

We must have saved a bit losing Stringer and getting Gowers.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2019, 04:04 PM
We must have saved a bit losing Stringer and getting Gowers.

Not paying Dahl the $500,000+ either. Nor Adams the nice juicy contract that he got to convince him to stay. Next year we are not paying Picken, probably Morris and maybe Dicko (hopefully his body holds up though) who would combined have a large sum. Tom Boyd has only two years after this one on his existing contract, and I suspect his new contract will be a lot less. Then add in the cap banking (aka Hurley Money, now Wingard Money) will just keep rolling over through indirect contract mechanisms until we pull the trigger on it with someone worth it. Power made the play on Wingard with the support of the club, knowing we'd need to sign these pups and stars up. Which he's doing. We are in a very good position with our cap, plus cap rises. It's exciting times as a member to be in such a strong position.

bornadog
11-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Not paying Dahl the $500,000+ either. Nor Adams the nice juicy contract that he got to convince him to stay. Next year we are not paying Picken, probably Morris and maybe Dicko (hopefully his body holds up though) who would combined have a large sum. Tom Boyd has only two years after this one on his existing contract, and I suspect his new contract will be a lot less. Then add in the cap banking (aka Hurley Money, now Wingard Money) will just keep rolling over through indirect contract mechanisms until we pull the trigger on it with someone worth it. Power made the play on Wingard with the support of the club, knowing we'd need to sign these pups and stars up. Which he's doing. We are in a very good position with our cap, plus cap rises. It's exciting times as a member to be in such a strong position.

I still think Libba will end up over $600k. If his numbers continue at this rate he will make Cripps look like a hack in clearances, Cont.poss :)

ledge
11-04-2019, 05:33 PM
I know it’s a new generation but I can’t see Liberatore,Macrae , Hunter or the Bont ever leaving us, Naughton seems the the loyal type too.
They are big money players we need to look after as well.

Grantysghost
11-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Josh Kelly war chest :cool:

bulldogtragic
11-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Josh Kelly war chest :cool:

If they keep Cognilio, I hope so.

I'll try to offer up my thoughts on why this can be achieved be it Hurley, Wingard, Kelly or other. My guess is our salary cap banking is likely around $900,000 on the conservative side (could be a lot more, double perhaps). This is made up of two years (or more) under full cap payments and the portion of Crameri's salary the AFEL said we could bank after he was suspended (circa $180,000). This is what's fundamental to the 'Wingard Money'.

We aren't from a financial sense adding another million dollar player to Boyd & Bont (close maybe?). We are from the classy player aspect.

What I'd suggest we've tried to do is look at salary cap rises, retirements and players sent out on good wages as the means of securing all the pups and stars to do. Now my guess work:

We offer Kelly/other $900,000 or so over 5 years. That's $4,500,000 over the contract. We knock off $900,000 bank is essence off the first three years, meaning Kelly costs us $600,000 in years 1-3. Now Tom Boyd's contract comes down to say $600,000 if he gets continuity and form. The reduction in Boyd's salary frees up $300,000 for years 4-7 (having extended two more years). So in the backend of the contract a chuck of savings in Boyd means Kelly/other is costing us $600,000.

So the salary cap bank and the list structure (Boyd's contract restructuring) helps deliver us a genuine A Grade talent (if we can get them to come, see Hurley & Wingard), for in effect just $600,000 a season all factored in.

Stringer, Dahl, Adams, Picko, Morris and others salary being freed up (& cap rises) will take care of business with re-signings. It has already, no one we desperately wanted to keep has been squeezed out despite the club going hard at $900,000/5 year players, and we are signing big players early. Going at Wingard wasn't irresponsible last year, going at Kelly/others won't be irresponsible this year. When you look at the list, and play guess on salaries and projected salaries, I think there's $600,000 available comfortably which as above is enough with the bank/Boyd to land an A Grader. I know many won't agree, but I see us a big opportunity on the cap front and the draft picks to go for an A Grader or two good specific role players. I guess we will all wait and see in 6 months.

Mofra
12-04-2019, 02:20 PM
I know it’s a new generation but I can’t see Liberatore,Macrae , Hunter or the Bont ever leaving us, Naughton seems the the loyal type too.
They are big money players we need to look after as well.
Hunter signed a long term contract not long ago and Macrae has quietly signed extensions as well.
Bont we have plenty of cash for.

Axe Man
12-04-2019, 02:46 PM
The thing with Bont is that it should only be an incremental increase for his next contract, not a massive jump.

I'm completely plucking figures but say he's on 800k now and may go to 1 million or a bit over next time. It's not like we will need to find another 1 million in the cap.

Sedat
12-04-2019, 06:28 PM
I don't think Kelly or Coniglio are going anywhere. Jack Martin on the other hand...

Remi Moses
12-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Nice to get Martin
Sam’s doing a decent job