PDA

View Full Version : 'Pissed off' Schache wants to silence doubters

The Bulldogs Bite
17-01-2018, 05:16 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/1701_up_for_the_fight.jpg

QUESTION marks over his competiveness left Josh Schache "pissed off" and determined to prove the doubters wrong.

Three months after crossing to the Western Bulldogs from the Brisbane Lions in the final 30 seconds of the NAB AFL Trade Period, the 20-year-old is relishing life at Whitten Oval and being just an hour's drive from his family in country Victoria.

While he concedes he needs to improve the contested side of his game after being drafted by the Lions with pick No.2 in 2015, the key forward is fiercely determined to show the football world he has an appetite for the hard stuff.

"I think I'm competitive, and I was pretty pissed off when I heard I wasn't competitive enough," Schache told AFL.com.au.

"I'm not here to run around the ground and do the little things, I'm here to compete really hard and do what I need to do for the team.

"I want to prove everyone wrong and show that I am competitive."

Much like fellow early pick and new teammate Tom Boyd, Schache has been thrown into the ruck in a bid to improve his physicality and versatility under coach Luke Beveridge's flexibility mantra.

The change of role is paying immediate dividends, with Schache's confidence and conditioning improving considerably just over a month out from the JLT Community Series.

"In match simulation, I've been playing in ruck and trying to develop that side of my game, so I've pretty much half and half between the ruck and up forward," he said.

"I'm down to 95kg at the moment after being over 100kg up in Brisbane, and now I'm running and recovering a lot better.

"Now I need to build on the muscle side of things and make sure I'm harder to move in the contested situation, but I feel like I'm tracking OK in that area.

"It's not an excuse, but I'm up against guys more experienced and a bit heavier than me, so it's something I need to continue to work on."

Schache and Boyd, the 2013 No.1 pick, have discussed the pressures that come with being taken at the pointy end of the draft after both youngsters took time away from the game in 2017 to deal with the burdens that come with being a League footballer.

As well as conditioning his body for the rigours of the game, he also seeks the counsel of club psychologist Lisa Stevens to help him deal with the mental side.

"Lisa has been really good, and I go and see her every now and then," he said.

"She has been really good at helping me on and off the ground - just getting your mind back to the things you need to think about."

With Schache now settled and thriving, he is in a strong position to push for a round-one berth.

He'll vie with Boyd and Jack Redpath for what's likely to be two positions in attack for tall forwards, but the competition for spots has been a big factor in him finding enjoyment in his footy again.

"It was a big drive for me to come to the Dogs and play with those boys," Schache said.

"Just working closely with Boydy and 'Red' has helped with my development.

"I think my kicking, my hands and match awareness are building, so I feel more comfortable with each training session.

"I'm enjoying coming to the club and seeing all the boys each day."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-17/pissed-off-schache-wants-to-silence-doubters

Axe Man
17-01-2018, 05:28 PM
Great to hear, get angry young man.

bornadog
17-01-2018, 05:32 PM
Exciting times ahead with two big guys , ex picks 1 and 2, now they need to deliver.

Twodogs
17-01-2018, 05:36 PM
I like angry young men on the football field.

Take out all your frustration on the rest of the completion Joshy. They are all bagging you behind your back, doubting your ability and your heart. There is only one way to sort out this situation and that's to hit the first body that gets between you and the ball hard, Bloody hard, and then repeat.

Pretty soon they won't get between you and the ball.

bulldogtragic
17-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Made my day brighter. I'm looking forward to Schache & Boyd in combo, plus Roughy & English at points. I'm not sure Campbell will get a go this year and Redders is a week by week proposition with his injuries so I won't jinx him by talking about him.

Go_Dogs
17-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Sounds like a young man with a lot to prove - looking forward to watching him in 2018.

Great that it's been a focus to work on his ruck craft too.

bornadog
18-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Great to read about the determination this kid has got.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTuRSkPVMAAnZaP.jpg

craigsahibee
18-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Actions Josh. That's what will impress us.

The Underdog
18-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Its good to hear that Josh has identified this as an area to be worked on and I think he was definitely worth taking a punt on given the raw tools.
I will however be keeping my expectations low (and to a lesser extent the same for Tom Boyd) until we see some consistent output on the field.

mjp
18-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Actions Josh. That's what will impress us.

100%

People have been saying less than nice things about his competitiveness after watching him play footy...and reacting to things like him not playing in the NEAFL GF - instead choosing to return to Seymour. That's how you go from pick 2 overall to a mid second rounder in 2 years...

Get as angry as you like but this is really a 'get on the paddock and show us' moment if there ever was one.

angelopetraglia
22-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Love to see him have an impact in 2018.

Twodogs
22-01-2018, 07:23 PM

Wouldn't be awesome if the twin towers of Boyd and Schasche dominated opposition defences. "Stop Schasche!" "Who's supposed to be on Boyd and why is he 10 metres in the clear taking marks on his chest?" "Where did Dickson come from?"

Eastdog
22-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Wouldn't be awesome if the twin towers of Boyd and Schasche dominated opposition defences. "Stop Schasche!" "Who's supposed to be on Boyd and why is he 10 metres in the clear taking marks on his chest?" "Where did Dickson come from?"

Sounds great!

Eastdog
24-01-2018, 08:49 PM

Yep it is his time to shine now since coming to us.

Happy Days
25-01-2018, 12:21 AM
There's a reason that there's been doubts, mostly because, despite his lofty draft status, he's shown 2/5ths of nothing as an AFL footballer.

I hate the off season so much.

bornadog
25-01-2018, 10:26 AM

But but, there are so many heroes and teams that will be top 4 and recruited so brilliantly - 18 premiers.

bulldogtragic
25-01-2018, 10:45 AM
But but, there are so many heroes and teams that will be top 4 and recruited so brilliantly - 18 premiers.

Shaun Higgins is flying in pre season training too.

azabob
26-01-2018, 09:56 PM
Shaun Higgins is flying in pre season training too.

From Stevos twitter today.

“Positive signs for Ben Jacobs, sharp in first half for Kangas. Shaun Higgins always looks good pre-season, but may have found new level”

jeemak
27-01-2018, 06:49 AM
There's a reason that there's been doubts, mostly because, despite his lofty draft status, he's shown 2/5ths of nothing as an AFL footballer.

Man, you're getting more and more like Grouchy Smurf every post.

His trade position pretty much reflected his value, give or take five or so positions. A reasonable person knows he's 3-5 years away in terms of development at least, I can't see our supporter base being that patient, but our supporter base isn't reasonable.

Rocco Jones
27-01-2018, 12:18 PM

As much as I want to and am hopeful with Schache, this is no doubt accurate at the moment.

Twodogs
27-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Man, you're getting more and more like Grouchy Smurf every post.

His trade position pretty much reflected his value, give or take five or so positions. A reasonable person knows he's 3-5 years away in terms of development at least, I can't see our supporter base being that patient, but our supporter base isn't reasonable.

We may not be reasonable but we are patient. A lack of patience is one thing you can't accuse us of.

GVGjr
27-01-2018, 01:12 PM
I see 2018 as another development year for Schache but I question why there is so much doubt with him. He's already had 27 games experience at the senior level and I don't think a lack of intensity is something we can't remedy. We will use him forward and in the ruck and he will now have to work for his opportunities.
I genuinely think this is a good position for both the player and club.

Twodogs
27-01-2018, 02:29 PM
I see 2018 as another development year for Schache but I question why there is so much doubt with him. He's already had 27 games experience at the senior level and I don't think a lack of intensity is something we can't remedy. We will use him forward and in the ruck and he will now have to work for his opportunities.
I genuinely think this is a good position for both the player and club.

This situation can turn into a win/win. A win for us and a win for Josh. (BTW win/win is impossible-if somebody tells you that "this is a win/win situation" then beware because they are lying to you, for every winner there has to be a loser, but Brisbane and Essendon are the losers in this situation so it's party time) if things turn out our way just a little bit. It's not like there are lots of moving parts to put together to make this a success.

Greystache
27-01-2018, 07:30 PM

I can't understand how people can say he's shown nothing at AFL level. In two seasons as a key forward he's managed to play 27 games and kicked 25 goals. That's well above average for his age and position.

To put it into perspective after two seasons Josh Kennedy had played 22 games and kicked 11 goals as a number 4 pick and Joe Daniher had played 26 games and kicked 31 goals as the nominal number 1 pick. And neither player had relocated interstate.

GVGjr
27-01-2018, 08:02 PM
I can't understand how people can say he's shown nothing at AFL level. In two seasons as a key forward he's managed to play 27 games and kicked 25 goals. That's well above average for his age and position.

To put it into perspective after two seasons Josh Kennedy had played 22 games and kicked 11 goals as a number 4 pick and Joe Daniher had played 26 games and kicked 31 goals as the nominal number 1 pick. And neither player had relocated interstate.

It's good points you raise. The other good point is that he has already done a bit and gained some experience but he also still has a lot to prove and seems to be determined to get there.
If he does the work and lifts his intensity we should start to see the type of player we hope he can be.

He has the athletic tools to be a unique player and with some quality coaching we should be able to see him improve.

Twodogs
27-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Good points. It's an accepted fact that big guys take longer to develop than small guys. 27 games and 25 goals are an excellent return for a 20 year old in his 2 seasons. Especially 2 seasons where everyone has been on his back, he was a continent away from a family he is very close with to go along with all the other troubles he would encounter just fitting into a club and a career.

I'm not saying he will play like Royce Hart this year but he won't be Andrew MacDougall (sorry Rocco) either. He'll play more games than he"ll miss and if he can steer 25-30 goals through the sticks then he will be more than a handy replacement for Stringer.

That's really who's output we are looking for him to replicate on the field and I think he can do it.

Bulldog4life
29-01-2018, 11:35 AM
The few times I saw Schache play with the Lions he was quite good. He showed a lot of promise. I am very happy with him being with us this year and beyond.

Twodogs
29-01-2018, 12:53 PM
The few times I saw Schache play with the Lions he was quite good. He showed a lot of promise. I am very happy with him being with us this year and beyond.

I must have caught all of his good games and missed all the crap ones too. I've only ever seen him at the (actually he is a little ahead in development compared to your average KPD IMO) stage you'd expect a tall KPD to be at. Hes a little clumsy but he's a big kid, they are awkward and fall over a lot but they get over it.

mjp
29-01-2018, 07:13 PM
To put it into perspective after two seasons Josh Kennedy had played 22 games and kicked 11 goals as a number 4 pick ...And neither player had relocated interstate.

You make good points but Kennedy started off playing with Carlton - pretty sure that is interstate for a WA boy! Let the record show he wanted to STAY at Carlton and his initial refusal to move nearly held up the Judd deal.

Twodogs
29-01-2018, 07:30 PM
You make good points but Kennedy started off playing with Carlton - pretty sure that is interstate for a WA boy! Let the record show he wanted to STAY at Carlton and his initial refusal to move nearly held up the Judd deal.

I wonder if Carlton had the opportunity to go back and unpick that deal and keep Kennedy and their #3 (maston?) if they would?