PDA

View Full Version : GWS stuffed already in 2018?

Dry Rot
23-01-2018, 10:59 PM
I'm sure you are all concerned about the latest news about our favourite non-Bulldogs club - the Giants.

Wilson went to Freo and and now Zac Williams is out for most of this season - they have lost their best two playmakers off the half back line.

Here's a crappy afl.com analysis

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-23/analysis-how-does-gws-cover-zac-williams-loss

What do Woofers think?

Will the loss of these two and having an ageing Heath Shaw mean the end of the dashing Giants' counterattacks?

Is their season 2018 stuffed before its begun?

Bulldog Joe
23-01-2018, 11:38 PM
It certainly puts some pressure on them and they may be found wanting in the depth on the list.

A lot of their potential injury replacements are not available as they are on the list at Carlton and other clubs.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out, particularly with their weakened ruck position also representing a problem for them.

Remi Moses
24-01-2018, 12:15 AM
Going to be big pressure on Leon if they fall

Dry Rot
24-01-2018, 02:11 AM
They stood a lot taller with Big Mummy.

I wonder what their win/loss rate is like with and without him.

Dry Rot
24-01-2018, 02:15 AM
It certainly puts some pressure on them and they may be found wanting in the depth on the list.

A lot of their potential injury replacements are not available as they are on the list at Carlton and other clubs.

Their depth IMO is really patchy. They can cover mids and tall forwards, but losing the two counter attacking backs and say Davis and/or Haynes they will be in real trouble.

Mofra
24-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Tomlinson can actually play rebound - I think you can actually cobble a defence together with the right system.
It remains to be seen whether Leon can get a system going in their absence. I guess Tomlinson plays more rebounds this year, and perhaps if Gruffon ever gets on the paddock he can play HB too.

Axe Man
24-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Tomlinson can actually play rebound - I think you can actually cobble a defence together with the right system.
It remains to be seen whether Leon can get a system going in their absence. I guess Tomlinson plays more rebounds this year, and perhaps if Gruffon ever gets on the paddock he can play HB too.

Deledio can play there as well if fit. I wouldn't write them off just yet, although I will take great delight if they fail yet again.

bulldogtragic
24-01-2018, 03:31 PM

Deledio can play there as well if fit. I wouldn't write them off just yet, although I will take great delight if they fail yet again.

If Lids & Gryphone could ever get on the park they could slot in nicely for them. But I don't think they'll be fit, so I hope they are stuffed.

Flamethrower
24-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Personally I hope they run the table after dropping round 1, finishing 21-1 & 6 games clear on top, only to see 2016 repeat itself in the prelim with the Dogs upsetting the Tsunami in Homebush.

GVGjr
24-01-2018, 08:39 PM
I'd be surprised if they fell away. They might skip back a bit but I don't think they are stuffed.

Twodogs
24-01-2018, 09:29 PM
I'd be surprised if they fell away. They might skip back a bit but I don't think they are stuffed.

No ticker.

Testekill
24-01-2018, 11:51 PM
No ticker.

Yup, zero heart. They already had no fight without Mumford and now they have no rebound.

Happy Days
25-01-2018, 12:18 AM
They'll be awesome and not win the flag. Like last year and the year before.

They're actually better off for Mumford being gone, and can slide Deledio to a HBF. But they've proven they can't win the big one, which is a reputation that holds true right up until it doesn't.

Twodogs
25-01-2018, 12:41 AM
They'll be awesome and not win the flag. Like last year and the year before.

They're actually better off for Mumford being gone, and can slide Deledio to a HBF. But they've proven they can't win the big one, which is a reputation that holds true right up until it doesn't.

And don't we know that to be true.

Twodogs
25-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Yup, zero heart. They already had no fight without Mumford and now they have no rebound.

I always thought they rated low on the desire chart. None of the original players they bought in had ever fought to stay in a list or get into a team. They were all superstars who ducked their collective head at the first obstacle. And the second come to that.

Go_Dogs
28-01-2018, 09:23 AM
I suspect we'll see a few of their midfielders spend more time off half back, so while they've lost some quality they should be able to cover that part of the ground.

Hard to see them anywhere but the top 4 again, unfortunately.

GVGjr
28-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I suspect we'll see a few of their midfielders spend more time off half back, so while they've lost some quality they should be able to cover that part of the ground.

Hard to see them anywhere but the top 4 again, unfortunately.

I'm hoping they aren't automatically contenders for the top 4 but it's hard to see them not making the 8. They just have a bit too much class to see them slide that far.

merantau
06-02-2018, 12:38 PM
They are a club that has attracted an lot of eminently dislikeable players - Green, Paton, Cameron, Whitfield, Davis and Shaw among others. I would like to see them have a good year and then go pear shaped in the finals.
I am really looking forward to another Heath Shaw meltdown. Tory Dickson pantsing him and Libber exposing his fragile ego are treasured memories for me.

chef
23-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Maybe Mummys come back might be stuffed with an interesting video getting around.

GVGjr
23-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Maybe Mummys come back might be stuffed with an interesting video getting around.

I heard about that. While it's from 3 years ago it confirms that some players are dumb arses

Mumford (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/10/23/gws-confirm-former-giants-star-filmed-snorting-white-powder/)

Axe Man
23-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Apparently the video is 3 years old so it shouldn't really prevent a comeback.

Testekill
23-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Apparently the video is 3 years old so it shouldn't really prevent a comeback.

If you're doing lines of coke then you don't usually just quit. Plus he's an assistant couch and supposed to be a leader at the club.

ledge
23-10-2018, 02:38 PM
If you're doing lines of coke then you don't usually just quit. Plus he's an assistant couch and supposed to be a leader at the club.

Leading and coaching the partying ?

Axe Man
23-10-2018, 02:54 PM

I am by no means a expert on cocaine but are you saying cocaine users will generally continue to use the drug throughout their life? Wasn't my impression of your general cocaine user but perhaps I am naive.

Jake Carlisle wasn't sacked, Libba wasn't sacked. If it was last week it would be different but I would think the club could forgive it if they were confident it is not still an on-going thing.

Daughter of the West
23-10-2018, 02:58 PM
He understands he has let himself, his family and the club down and caused great embarrassment to those around him.

The above sounds like the old Adam Hills Inflatable Boy joke:

Well, there was an inflatable boy that went to an inflatable school, where all the students were inflatable, all the buildings were inflatable, all the teachers were inflatable. And one day, he got into trouble for bringing a pin to school and the Headmaster said, “you’ve let me down, you’ve let yourself down, you’ve let the whole school down.”

Twodogs
23-10-2018, 04:41 PM

Yep, I've never met an addict yet who couldn't give it up anytime he felt like it. They aren't really addicted, they are just going to have another line and then that will be the last one. Ever!

hujsh
23-10-2018, 05:01 PM
I am by no means a expert on cocaine but are you saying cocaine users will generally continue to use the drug throughout their life? Wasn't my impression of your general cocaine user but perhaps I am naive.

Jake Carlisle wasn't sacked, Libba wasn't sacked. If it was last week it would be different but I would think the club could forgive it if they were confident it is not still an on-going thing.
It's usually an upper class drug so it maybe has that impression because of that. But it's the same drug as crack (lower class version) so it's definitely addictive.

How likely someone is to abuse a drug also depends on their surroundings and environment (rats locked in a cage with a drug tended to OD but rats in a 'happy rat world' with company and things to keep them entertained were less likely to abuse the drug). Someone using coke could be less likely to be addicted for that reason.

GVGjr
23-10-2018, 06:15 PM

If this is found to be true then he needs a suspension in line with what happened with Carlisle and Liberatore regardless if he is a coach or a pending player. It's all bullshit that the media is saying he did this after a season ending injury like it is somewhat understandable and it doesn't matter that it was 3 years ago because he was a player at the time.

If he want's back into the AFL he needs to be suspended for his actions.

Axe Man
23-10-2018, 06:34 PM
It's usually an upper class drug so it maybe has that impression because of that. But it's the same drug as crack (lower class version) so it's definitely addictive.

How likely someone is to abuse a drug also depends on their surroundings and environment (rats locked in a cage with a drug tended to OD but rats in a 'happy rat world' with company and things to keep them entertained were less likely to abuse the drug). Someone using coke could be less likely to be addicted for that reason.

That makes sense. By the way I wasn't suggesting that it isn't addictive, just that I imagine plenty of people use it without being addicted, like many people consume alcohol without being addicted.

If this is found to be true then he needs a suspension in line with what happened with Carlisle and Liberatore regardless if he is a coach or a pending player. It's all bullshit that the media is saying he did this after a season ending injury like it is somewhat understandable and it doesn't matter that it was 3 years ago because he was a player at the time.

If he want's back into the AFL he needs to be suspended for his actions.

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting he shouldn't be punished, just that his potential comeback shouldn't necessarily be taken away because of it.

GVGjr
23-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Agreed. I wasn't suggesting he shouldn't be punished, just that his potential comeback shouldn't necessarily be taken away because of it.

Sorry if it came across that I was challenging that, it certainly wasn't meant to.

I just can't accept that Mumford can waltz back into the club environment if this is all found to be correct. He has to go through the same process as Carlisle and it doesn't matter if he is a coach or a player. I don't think the AFL will ignore it nor should GWS and their sponsors.

The Doctor
23-10-2018, 07:34 PM
I heard about that. While it's from 3 years ago it confirms that some players are dumb arses

GWS have got quite a few of them

EasternWest
23-10-2018, 10:34 PM

Corollary to that but a little different, there are some interesting screen caps going around of some conversations allegedly involving a former no 1 draft pick.

Axe Man
24-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Shane Mumford still likely to make AFL comeback with GWS Giants after drug video emerges (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/shane-mumford-still-likely-to-make-afl-comeback-with-gws-giants-after-drug-video-emerges/news-story/47a849cc5db796e12446bdd3814b4118)

SHANE Mumford is still likely to be a GWS player again in 30 days’ time despite a dramatic video emerging showing him snorting what appears to be cocaine in 2015.

The Herald Sun revealed on Tuesday that Mumford was at the centre of a drugs drama, caught on a video snorting a line of a white powder in a video that was later distributed on messenger service WhatsApp.

Mumford, 32, will likely dodge an official strike under the league’s illicit drugs policy because he is not currently playing after retiring from persistent injuries last year.

But he will be assessed and potentially suspended or penalised by the AFL integrity department for bringing the game into disrepute.

It is understood the Giants and AFL could follow the lead set in the Jake Carlisle drug case, where he was suspended for two weeks by the league which he served with new club St Kilda.

GWS has not yet made an official decision on redrafting Mumford at the November 23 pre-season and rookie draft meeting, but is seriously considering bringing their current ruck coach back on to the list.

He could be redrafted but only eligible to play AFL again from Round 3 or 4.

The video of the popular big man taking drugs emerged on the weekend, and insiders say Mumford was “devastated” by the fallout but determined to own his mistake and learn from it.

Mumford, who returned from a family holiday in Bali on Tuesday, was recorded while at a private party in Melbourne with everyone involved believing the video had been deleted that night.

No other GWS player or player from any other club was involved.

“The club is extremely distressed by the footage and views Shane’s actions as completely counter to the club’s values,’’ GWS said in a statement.

“The club is disappointed in Shane’s choice of actions at this time and also understands that Shane requires a level of medical support with his health and wellbeing in mind.

“The club will be working with Shane to ensure he engages in a rehabilitation program along with a range of other measures.

“Shane has expressed deep remorse, embarrassment and distress in relation to his actions. He understands he has let himself, his family and the club down and caused great embarrassment to those around him.”

The incident took place shortly after Mumford required serious season-ending ankle surgery that he believed might have ended his AFL career.

He is the latest AFL player to be caught using cocaine. Harley Bennell was handed a three-match ban by the Gold Coast Suns in 2015 after photos of him taking drugs in 2013 were published.

One of Mumford’s confidantes told the Herald Sun: “He is devastated. It is pretty raw but he has a wife and kids to think about. He needs to collect himself and make it right.“

With Rory Lobb traded to Fremantle and the Giants’ ruck stocks consisting of journeyman Dawson Simpson and youngster Matt Flynn, Mumford’s redrafting shapes as a critical part of their list build.

The Giants will select academy ruckman Kieren Briggs in the November 22 national draft but can secure Mumford the following day.

They also have the option under new AFL rookie rules of keeping a spot open for him until March 15 to put some distance between the drugs controversy and reintroducing him to the playing list.

Carlisle voluntarily accepted a drugs strike under the AFL’s illicit drugs policy, but given Mumford is not an AFL-listed player the policy does not apply to him.

As an AFL club official, the league instead has total discretion to penalise him for conduct unbecoming, or to watch on while GWS penalises him for his infraction.

Mumford will in coming weeks undergo a round of drug and alcohol counselling and is not due back at the club for some weeks as part of the Giants’ off-season holidays.

The Giants have only been aware of the video since the weekend, mystified about why it came to light three years after it was shot.

That 2015 season was the same year in which Lachie Whitfield dodged a possible drugs test by hiding out at the home of welfare boss Craig Lambert. He was eventually suspended by the league for conduct unbecoming.

GVGjr
24-10-2018, 11:08 AM
It's no real surprise that GWS would still want to draft him and that the AFL will allow it. Despite the Whitfield issue I doubt the club looks much further than their immediate needs and they badly need a ruckman.

Mumford was a GWS player when this occurred and GWS is wanting to bring him in again as a player so the AFL must make sure a Carlisle type suspension is served. It doesn't matter two hoots that it was 3 years ago because it's a bad look for the competition and the AFL must make sure the soon to be player is punished.

Does anyone think the AFL will say some counseling and education should be sufficent?

Twodogs
24-10-2018, 12:02 PM
It's no real surprise that GWS would still want to draft him and that the AFL will allow it. Despite the Whitfield issue I doubt the club looks much further than their immediate needs and they badly need a ruckman.

Mumford was a GWS player when this occurred and GWS is wanting to bring him in again as a player so the AFL must make sure a Carlisle type suspension is served. It doesn't matter two hoots that it was 3 years ago because it's a bad look for the competition and the AFL must make sure the soon to be player is punished.

Does anyone think the AFL will say some counseling and education should be sufficent?

GWS are pretty keen to sweep this under the carpet as evidenced by their initial reaction along the lines of "geez we are disappointed but he had just had a season ending injury" and acting like the big surprise was he waited 3 days after being injured before he started on the Persian rugs. The AFL will do anything they can to help them out so Mumford will be on their list next year.

GVGjr
24-10-2018, 12:34 PM
All, I have removed a cryptic reference to a non confirmed rumor about a player. If his name is confirmed I'll look at reinstating it.
It's in the media now but there is no player named

ledge
24-10-2018, 01:50 PM
All, I have removed a cryptic reference to a non confirmed rumor about a player. If his name is confirmed I'll look at reinstating it.

The texting stuff ? Consenting adults, media blow up on private conversation as far as I see.

chef
24-10-2018, 02:02 PM

Theres a thread about him on the scandals board on BF with the screen shots of the messages his GF leaked.

Disgusting stuff.

GVGjr
24-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Theres a thread about him on the scandals board on BF with the screen shots of the messages his GF leaked.

Disgusting stuff.

There isn't 100% proof that it is the player being speculated on though. The media isn't prepared yet to name the player.

EasternWest
24-10-2018, 03:04 PM
There isn't 100% proof that it is the player being speculated on though. The media isn't prepared yet to name the player.

Tell that to the Daily Mail.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-10-2018, 03:57 PM

Disgusting stuff.

What's just as disgusting are the posters declaring him a legend for his actions. Although it is BF after all

chef
24-10-2018, 04:46 PM
What's just as disgusting are the posters declaring him a legend for his actions. Although it is BF after all

Yep. I feel for his ex GF. She must have been devastated reading through those grotty messages.

wimberga
25-10-2018, 10:09 AM
I have the messages and the players name is now out there.

At least in this instance no-one feels betrayed or like they have been lied to (ala Tiger Woods). Most people disliked him quite a bit even before the messages leaked.

few other rumours floating around that arent good.

GVGjr
25-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Regarding Mumford, it looks like the AFL is preparing everyone for a soft landing

AFL Players Association CEO Paul Marsh doesn’t believe Shane Mumford will receive an official strike against his name for the recent video of him snorting a white powder.

The footage of Mumford snorting the powder while being cheered on by others was filmed in 2015, while he was still on GWS’ list. He had suffered a season-ending injury at that stage.

He would go on to retire at the end of the 2017 season, but reportedly wishes to make an AFL return and re-join the Giants next year.

Despite the incident taking place three years ago while Mumford was a contracted GWS player, and the fact he will likely be returning to them in 2019, Marsh says a strike against his name is unlikely.

“He’s not a current player at the moment so I’m not sure how he would get a strike,” Marsh told Sportsday.

“I’m not sure at this point. If and when he becomes a current player, then I’m sure we’ll have that conversation around that particular issue.”

Marsh admitted illicit drug use is an ongoing issue in the AFL world.

“We know some players abuse illicit drugs from time to time and that’s why we have an illicit drugs policy in place,” he said.

“Young people do make silly and impulsive decisions from time to time. We know drugs are in our industry and our society.

“We’ve had issues like this in the past, there’ll be issues like this again in the future.”

This is just flat out wrong, the is no time gap to be considered here. He was a contracted player at the time and intends to get another contract.

As a professional code we are way to accepting of this

bornadog
25-10-2018, 08:11 PM
I still haven't forgiven him or the AFL for letting him get away with his actions against Libba. Dog act.

Twodogs
26-10-2018, 02:27 PM
I hadn't read that article before. I don't know that the smart arse quotes from Marsh are all that helpful.

Sedat
26-10-2018, 02:59 PM
As much as I dislike GWS, nothing would please me more than to see them make the GF in 2019 (and lose of course) while Essendon finish a lowly 15th with an injury hit season in 2019. That will change the ‘great’ value of the Shiel trade.

Twodogs
26-10-2018, 04:38 PM
As much as I dislike GWS, nothing would please me more than to see them make the GF in 2019 (and lose of course) while Essendon finish a lowly 15th with an injury hit season in 2019. That will change the ‘great’ value of the Shiel trade.

I dunno about making a grand final, maybe GWS could finish 3rd? My hatred of Essendon doesn't extend to hoping GWS do well just to show them up!

Ghost Dog
26-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Shane Mumford is stuffing himself with something....
They wear a ghastly orange and sing an ridiculous song. So yes, stuffed already. Pass me my Walkley award please.

bornadog
27-10-2018, 12:33 AM

Maybe prelim, not GF :D

Webby
02-11-2018, 10:04 AM
I hear AFL already ‘leaking’ a possible two week sanction for Shane Mumford.

Hard to see the difference between his and Jake Carlisle’s indiscretions.

St Kilda player cops a year, whilst it looks like they’re eyeing off two weeks for Mumford... To me that clearly demonstrates that the AFL favour the big clubs and the project clubs.

The Norfs, Aints and Dogs are definitely just billed as losers and simply meant to make up the numbers.

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 10:07 AM
I hear AFL already ‘leaking’ a possible two week sanction for Shane Mumford.

Hard to see the difference between his and Jake Carlisle’s indiscretions.

St Kilda player cops a year, whilst it looks like they’re eyeing off two weeks for Mumford... To me that clearly demonstrates that the AFL favour the big clubs and the project clubs.

The Norfs, Aints and Dogs are definitely just billed as losers and simply meant to make up the numbers.

What ban did Carlisle actually get? The WADA ban overtook the ban for using cocaine didn't it?
He would have received a strike as well I think

Greystache
02-11-2018, 10:13 AM
What ban did Carlisle actually get?
He would have received a strike as well I think

A 2 week suspension, $50,000 fine (removal of the $50,000 marketing component of his new contract), and a voluntary strike. Along with the usual social bullshit the AFEL rolls out like they actually give a crap.

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 10:16 AM
A 2 week suspension, $50,000 fine (removal of the $50,000 marketing component of his new contract), and a voluntary strike. Along with the usual social bullshit the AFEL rolls out like they actually give a crap.

It's just too soft on players, between that and self reporting they can work around things easily enough

hujsh
02-11-2018, 12:18 PM
It's just too soft on players, between that and self reporting they can work around things easily enough

If it's outside of the playing period is it really any of our business? Aside from setting an example for younger people what does it matter? He's not exactly on his own here either, he's just the one that's had footage come out most recently.

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 12:31 PM
If it's outside of the playing period is it really any of our business? Aside from setting an example for younger people what does it matter? He's not exactly on his own here either, he's just the one that's had footage come out most recently.

It was done in season so yes it needs to be the AFL's business. Anything that gives the players the impression it's not a serious issue is a complete failure.

westdog54
02-11-2018, 02:52 PM
It was done in season so yes it needs to be the AFL's business. Anything that gives the players the impression it's not a serious issue is a complete failure.

This forgets that the testing regime and the associated measures are ENTIRELY dependent on the support of the players and they can walk away from it at any time.

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 04:23 PM
This forgets that the testing regime and the associated measures are ENTIRELY dependent on the support of the players and they can walk away from it at any time.

Why would they walk away, they have been able to get away with a lot more than they should?

Twodogs
02-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Why would they walk away, they have been able to get away with a lot more than they should?

Because they don't have to be tested for recreational drugs. Turn the question onits head and ask yourself why would they keep doing something they don't have to if they are just going to be punished for it? That makes no sense at all.

westdog54
03-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Because they don't have to be tested for recreational drugs. Turn the question onits head and ask yourself why would they keep doing something they don't have to if they are just going to be punished for it? That makes no sense at all.

What he said.

The current policy only exists because the players agreed to it.

They are under ZERO obligation to be tested out if competition for recreational drugs under any other code.