PDA

View Full Version : Injury-hit Dog hopes it's third season lucky

Hotdog60
27-01-2018, 03:29 PM
WITH luck deserting him in his first two seasons in the AFL, Western Bulldogs key defender Marcus Adams is now determined to make his own.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/514933-tlslargeportrait.jpg

In a strange case of misfortune, Adams has sustained season-ending Lisfranc fractures in his left foot last year and his right foot in 2016, with the injuries occurring against Sydney on exactly the same part of the SCG.

After returning to full training following Christmas with no mental scars, the 24-year-old hopes a meticulous approach to his recovery will see his luck change and have him ready for round one.

"It's my third year now, so I definitely know what works for me, and I've learnt how to prepare physically," Adams told AFL.com.au.

"I always try and get everything right (preparation wise) and hope that leads to good fortune.

"(The recovery) has taken a little bit longer than expected, so I've just been working with physios to get back to full fitness.

"I know in terms of fitness and physical strength, I'm in pretty good nick, so hopefully I can get one or two JLT matches in, go all right and just put my hand up for round one.

"I've just got to remember to how to get a kick."

Getting a kick while restricting his opponent hasn't been a problem in 21 career games since being taken a mature-aged recruit with pick No.35 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft.

He's held his own against the gun forwards of the AFL including Eagle Josh Kennedy, Adelaide skipper Taylor Walker and retired Fremantle great Matthew Pavlich.

Adams' knack of taking an intercept mark is exactly what Luke Beveridge demands of his defenders, and his ability to be a strong option in attack also meets with the coach's flexibility mantra.

"I did enjoy playing forward because most of the boys looked after me with some good passes, so it might have made look better than I am," he said.

"Those guys I have played on down back are real spearheads for the opposition and generally well-built guys, so to get on those bigger bodies suits me.

"You know you're not there just to lock down a bloke, you're can set up the play by kickstarting our offence, and really enjoy that role.

"Knowing the coach believes in you makes you believe in yourself."

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/1_12SyWB17RP0020.JPG

Adams hunts Sydney superstar Lance Franklin. Picture: Getty Images

While adjusting to the highest level hasn't been a problem for the West Australian, settling in Melbourne has been a different story.

Adams was open to a trade back to Perth at the end of 2016 but he stuck it out and is determined to repay the club for looking after him.

Signing a three-year deal late last year is an indication he is feeling more at home at the Dogs.

"With all the injuries, it would be nice to have family and friends around but the club has been really good to me," he said.

"The physios have been great, 'Bevo' has been good and all boys have been great, so I can't complain about the support I've had.

"Melbourne is a different way of life, but you've got to get used to it as an AFL footballer, and with the League being very Melbourne-centric, that's a good thing as a player.

"(Homesickness) is something I've got to continue working on and deal with but going forward I don't think it will be an issue."

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-27/injuryhit-dog-hopes-its-third-season-lucky)

bornadog
27-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Good luck to Adam, I hope he has had his fair share of injuries and has some luck.

Eastdog
27-01-2018, 04:00 PM
I'm hoping Adams has some luck and can have an injury free 2018. Early last year I was very impressed with Adams efforts down back.

Twodogs
27-01-2018, 04:15 PM
I've said it before it's been a long time, if ever, that we've had glimpses of talent from a KP player like we've gotten from Marcus Adams.

From what he's shown if he can keep on the park he could be one of the best defenders in the comp. If he could sort his short passing out.

Smads57
27-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Fingers crossed Marcus for the rest of your career with the Bullies!

merantau
27-01-2018, 08:42 PM
He's a very good player and has the ability to play forward too. I really wish him well. He's got a 3 year contract so is obviously highly thought of at the Club.

Eastdog
27-01-2018, 11:09 PM
He's a very good player and has the ability to play forward too. I really wish him well. He's got a 3 year contract so is obviously highly thought of at the Club.

Yep he can play a bit forward as well.

I remember Bob a few times playing forward and he did quite good.

Reckon he'll be a big improver in 2018.

Twodogs
28-01-2018, 12:11 AM
Yep he can play a bit forward as well.

I remember Bob a few times playing forward and he did quite good.

Reckon he'll be a big improver in 2018.

Do you mean Murph Easty? Did he get selected as a CHF in the AA team? Or was he well and truly on his way the first time he did his knee and that's why I think he did?

Eastdog
28-01-2018, 01:05 AM
Do you mean Murph Easty? Did he get selected as a CHF in the AA team? Or was he well and truly on his way the first time he did his knee and that's why I think he did?

Murph

GVGjr
28-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Adams being fit for the better part of the season would be a huge step forward for the club in 2018. His long kicking and pace is really needed. Hopefully he can also improve with his handball skills because it's been a weakness of his.

Go_Dogs
28-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Adams being fit for the better part of the season would be a huge step forward for the club in 2018. His long kicking and pace is really needed. Hopefully he can also improve with his handball skills because it's been a weakness of his.

Good call on the handballing - that, and more confidence in his short kicking will see him become a much more reliable player with ball in hand. If he plays in defence ensuring he doesn't turn the ball over is critical.

Hope he has some improved luck with injuries, if he can get continuity he can become a pretty special player.

GVGjr
28-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Good call on the handballing - that, and more confidence in his short kicking will see him become a much more reliable player with ball in hand. If he plays in defence ensuring he doesn't turn the ball over is critical.

Hope he has some improved luck with injuries, if he can get continuity he can become a pretty special player.

I think his injured hand has had something to do with it as well. I think he only holds the ball one way for his handballs.

Bulldog4life
29-01-2018, 11:21 AM
Marcus has shown a lot of ability and has shown he can play forward and back. Really hope he can have a injury free season. A big plus for us if he does

Bulldog4life
29-01-2018, 11:43 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-29/new-dogs-learning-old-defensive-tricks

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are well equipped to cover the huge hole left by retired club greats Robert Murphy and Matthew Boyd, says key defender Marcus Adams.

While the duo had been important cogs in the Bulldog machine with their playmaking ways across half-back, they were also highly regarded for their leadership in guiding the AFL's sixth youngest list.

Adams, who is fully recovered from a second bout of serious foot surgery in 18 months, believes a communal approach to leadership will assist new skipper Easton Wood and vice-captain Marcus Bontempelli.

Lachie Hunter, Jason Johannisen and Jack Redpath have been selected for the first time in a new-look leadership group, while ruckman Jordan Roughead has been voted back in.

"(Murphy and Boyd) offered the most amazing leadership, but I think in their absence guys have stepped up and everyone has matured as a group," Adams told AFL.com.au.

"The guys that have come into the leadership have been really good, but I think everyone has taken ownership.

"I don't think losing 600 games of experience is going to hurt us, but I think it's something we'll notice out there."

Murphy and Boyd were renowned for their adherence to coach Luke Beveridge's attacking mantra, with their ability to routinely turn defence into a forward foray.

While he concedes the distinguished pair's on-field contributions will be missed, Adams is excited by the replenishment of the club's running defender stocks.

Former Docker Hayden Crozier has been earmarked for a role across half-back with his sound decision making and foot skills seen as vital assets.

Draftees Ed Richards and Aaron Naughton have made a good initial impression on Adams in their first few months at the Kennel.

Richards is a running defender in the mould of Murphy, while Naughton is a versatile tall defender who has impressed with his competiveness and ability to match it with more seasoned teammates in pre-season skirmishes.

Jackson Trengove will add much-needed experience and height after the Dogs secured the 27-year-old in a trade from Port Adelaide.

"As far as on-field, Hayden Crozier has arrived and young Ed Richards looks like a really good player," Adams said.

"I don't want to put any pressure on a young player coming in, but Ed looks like he has really good skills and a great footy brain.

"Aaron Naughton is another ripping young fella, so the depth in the backline is phenomenal.

"I think we should be able to manage (Murphy and Boyd's) loss as a (defensive) group pretty well."

The Dogs will get the chance to trial its new-look backline in the JLT Community Series when it hosts Hawthorn at Ballarat's Mars Stadium on March 3 before heading to Moe to face Collingwood on March 10.

ledge
29-01-2018, 12:03 PM
I believe Murph will still be at the club in some form so we won't lose him totally , he could be doing what he did in 2016, didn't play but certainly had an influence off field.

Twodogs
29-01-2018, 12:50 PM
I believe Murph will still be at the club in some form so we won't lose him totally , he could be doing what he did in 2016, didn't play but certainly had an influence off field.

Not according to that moronic idiot Sam Newman. remember he had a ping at Murph for being up on the dais? *!*!*!*!ing imbecile that Newman is.

Eastdog
29-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Yes at the AGM Prince Imperial who went said that he'll be involved at the club but didn't specify the exact role.

Eastdog
29-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Not according to that moronic idiot Sam Newman. remember he had a ping at Murph for being up on the dais? *!*!*!*!ing imbecile that Newman is.

Yes Newman was totally out of line with that. Murph was as big part of that premiership from the sidelines.

bornadog
29-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Yes at the AGM Prince Imperial who went said that he'll be involved at the club but didn't specify the exact role.

He is on the Foundation Board at this stage.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/foundation/about-us/foundation-board

Eastdog
29-01-2018, 02:44 PM
He is on the Foundation Board at this stage.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/foundation/about-us/foundation-board

Yes that's right.