bornadog
30-01-2018, 05:22 PM
AFLW Round 1 – Western Bulldogs v Fremantle
Sunday 4th February
Victoria University Whitten Oval
Gates open 3:00pm
AFLW First Bounce 4:35pm
FREE ENTRY

Come along and support the Western Bulldogs AFL Women’s team at the first match of the AFLW season where they will take on Fremantle. Embrace the summer weather and get a group of friends or the family together to join in on the ultimate celebration of women in sport. There will be plenty of on-ground and pre-match entertainment so be sure to get along before the first bounce.

MATCH DAY FAQ'S: Got any questions about what to expect at an AFL Women's Match Day? Or the facilities at VU Whitten Oval? We have answers here. (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/team/womens/match-day-information/match-day-frequently-asked-questions)

Fan Zone
It’s more than just a football match so make sure you check out the fan zone featuring loads of activations and activities to entertain the whole family.

PricelinePharmacy Health & Beauty Lounge where you can try your luck at ten-pin bowling, charge your phone and simply relax
Ride the waves and show your grit and determination like Moana on the mechanical surfboard
Face painting, football drills and activities
Sports Agility Course
Entertainment from the Beats by Bob Jane DJ
Pancake Parlour Photobooth
Real Strength Van featuring giveaways, a chill-out zone and photo booth
Free ice cream from Bulla and so much more

Food Truck Park
If you are feeling peckish there will be a range of food trucks including Biggie Smalls, Gringo Grill, Mamma Van, Farang Thai Grill and Hot Dog Dynasty. Plus, there’ll be a Cape Grim BBQ and Barkers Café where you can grab a hot dog and pie.

Two Birds Brewery Bar
A range of boutique beers can be purchased from the Two Birds Brewery Bar including the all new ‘’Trail Blazer’, a crisp, clear and refreshing beer brewed with the best Australian malt and hops developed in partnership with the Western Bulldogs.

The Garden presented by Two Birds
If you’re looking for a VIP match day experience, then the ‘The Garden’ presented by Two Birds Brewing is the place to be. Located on the playing arena, you’ll be treated to a boundary line view of the field, a drinks package inclusive of Two Birds Brewing premium beers, wine and cider as well as a footy fare throughout the duration of the game.
Tickets $90 per person, with spaces strictly limited. For more information, or to book online, click here. (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/corporate/hospitality/the-garden-aflw-hospitality)

Getting there
Train
VU Whitten Oval is a short stroll from West Footscray station - on the Sunbury/Watergardens line.

Tram
By tram from the city, catch the #57 West Maribyrnong service.
The #57 links at Maribyrnong Road with the #82, which passes within a one-kilometre walk of the ground.

Bus

Routes: 410; Sunshine – Footscray, 411; Laverton Railway Station - Altona Meadows – Altona – Footscray (via Millers Road), 412; Laverton - Altona Meadows – Altona – Footscray (via Mills Street), 414; Laverton - Footscray 472 - Williamstown - Moonee Ponds via Footscray. Stops a street away from the ground on Geelong Road. 220 - Sunshine - Gardenvale via City & Footscray. Stops outside the ground in Barkly Street. 219 - Sunshine West - Gardenvale via City & Footscray. Stops around the corner from the ground on Barkly Street. 216 - Caroline Springs - Brighton Beach via City & Footscray. Stops around the corner from the ground on Barkly Street

Testekill
30-01-2018, 10:59 PM
I thought that our depleted team did really well against a Carlton side that had a full team. Freo however looked pretty strong against Adelaide also so it's tough to call how it will go.

bornadog
01-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Anyone going?

Twodogs
01-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Anyone going?

Are you kidding? ITS FOOTBALL OF COURSE WE ARE GOING!!!!!!!!

:cool:

H and I will be honouring everyone with our presence...

Gotta love it!

josie
01-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Sure am. Will be yelling my head off with anyone else who turns up from cheer squad. Looks like club have put a bit of effort into catering for young families. I recall scoffing down a few free Bulla ice-creams last year and looks like they are doing the same this year. Weather looks appealing too. Keen on seeing how the girls go this year, especially with a fit Brennan and some top draft picks. Should be exciting. Hope there are more goals this year (from us that is!!).

bornadog
02-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Full back
A Utri
A O'Connor
L Birch

Half back
H Scott
I Huntington
B Lochland

Centreline

E Blackburn

Half forward
N Callinan
B Toogood
D Berry

Full forward
M Conti
K Brennan
J Bruton

Followers
T Ernst
E Kearney
A Gogos

Interchange
D Bannister
K Lamb
N Ferres

L Spark
E Mackie

Emergencies
H Wildes
B Hunt

New:
J.Bruton (St.Kilda Sharks VFLW)
A.Utri (Hockey)
I.Huntington (Melbourne Uni VFLW)
B.Toogood (Netball)
D.Berry (Melbourne AFLW)
M.Conti (Melbourne Uni VFLW)
E.Mackie (Box Hill VFLW)
D.Bannister (Launceston TSLW)

choconmientay
03-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Anyone going?

Wife and kids will join the guard of honour to welcome the our team to the new season. Hope we'll have a decent year with the female team.

SonofScray
03-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Taking my daughter. Between this and the VFL, it makes me so happy to be able to take her to Whitten Oval to watch the Bulldogs. Just like my Dad and I (and the rest of my he family too!) when I was a kid in the late 80s/90s. I get very emotional about it. Coupled with the dreams being realised for these women to represent the Club and it is a really positive experience for all.

I want to be the first club to win the treble.

Twodogs
03-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Taking my daughter. Between this and the VFL, it makes me so happy to be able to take her to Whitten Oval to watch the Bulldogs. Just like my Dad and I (and the rest of my he family too!) when I was a kid in the late 80s/90s. I get very emotional about it. Coupled with the dreams being realised for these women to represent the Club and it is a really positive experience for all.

I want to be the first club to win the treble.

Me too. I want us to be the Notts Forrest of the AFL and I want Bevo to be our Brian Clough (obviously without the alcoholism and the early death).

And I'm 100% with you about the kids. It's a thrill taking your kids to the footy ground. It's a rite of passage for mine. My dad took me and I fell in love, his dad took him and he fell in love, his dad and so on. It's the one thing we can hand on to our kids and remain in the moment with them.

The only thing difference for us is that we get to offer our boys and our girls examples and heroes they can relate to. And a realistic chance of success.

comrade
03-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Looks like a very good set up for families to go along and enjoy. I hope they do the same thing for the VFL season, too.

Raw Toast
03-02-2018, 09:06 PM
All four Toasts will be there, can't wait!

Eastdog
03-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Carn the Dogs!

Eastdog
03-02-2018, 10:09 PM
It's great that the footy is upon us again.

Raw Toast
03-02-2018, 10:09 PM
Also worth checking out this (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/team/afl/player-profiles/women) if you want to learn more about the players (especially the new players).

Particularly excited for Naomi Ferres (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/naomi-ferres), a rookie selection who has come up through footy in the west and particularly the Spurs.

The Underdog
04-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Outstanding first half. Katie Brennan is a star

bornadog
04-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Outstanding first half. Katie Brennan is a star

Just need to get the ball in her hands

bornadog
04-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Western Bulldogs 7.7 (49) def Fremantle 3.5 (23)

Great start to the season with a great win. Top of the ladder.

Eastdog
04-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Go Dogs!

Hopefully we get a run of wins now as we won our first AFLW game last year but after that it wasn't too good.

SlimPickens
04-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Fun afternoon. Club should be commended for how well they do the day. My kids loved it.

Eastdog
04-02-2018, 07:55 PM
Looked like a decent crowd there today from the news report I just saw before.

Happy Days
04-02-2018, 08:10 PM
That was pretty excellent - the skills have improved leaps and bounds.

Blackburn in particular has a beautiful kick. The 40m pass to the player running back to goal (which they unfortunately dropped) was as good as you'll see.

Pearce *might* be the better player, but no one in the AFLW is better to watch than Brennan.

jazzadogs
04-02-2018, 08:21 PM
I'm an eastern suburbs boy who never got to an AFL game at Whitten Oval, but nothing beats it.

My observations:
- our short 15m kicks were exceptional. I haven't watched every game of AFLW but I'd be surprised if any other sides have been able to keep possession and work the ball by foot so well. Some of the ladies do struggle with disposal under pressure so having that extra time makes a big difference
- our release handball out the back and positioning to allow it was fantastic.
- pressure pressure pressure. Dropped off a bit in the second half, I assume because of a lack of fitness and the fact it was the first game.
- KB is a star. Her set shots would have been missed by 80% of our men's team, and her lead up work was fantastic. Loved seeing her go in the middle at the start of the fourth after Freo got on top in the third. A great leader and role model.
- Ellie Blackburn is my favourite player. Her ferocity combined with her speed and skill level make for a very dangerous player. 20+ touches, a bunch of tackles and a brilliant long goal had her as my BOG.
- Conti, Issy and Toogood stood out to me from the new players - Toogood with a ripping contested mark on the wing and a goal a minute later!
- Tiarna Ernst (i think thats who it was) has some serious toe on her for someone of her height. Two big sprints into the defensive 50.
- Susan Alberti sitting in the Whitten Stand with the fans (as were Daisy Pearce and Mel Hickey) is further evidence of her humility. What a brilliant woman.

KB makes a massive difference to our side but I think our midfield has been strengthened and our skills have certainly improved. The next two weeks will be interesting against last year's grand finalists.

Also the Two Birds Trailblazer beer was a delight ����

ledge
04-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Huge improvement on last year, passing hitting targets, marking and you could see a game plan.
I was surprised how much improvement in a lot of games, sadly I think the first game Friday night was the worst skill wise and both them sides will struggle.
One thing I did notice is the kicking actions vary incredibly and some are very bad, this would be something I would have thought they would have ironed out in training.
The naturals have the proper kicking styles and distance.
Love the game love the atmosphere and love seeing them improve.
I'm not getting carried away just yet as I don't think freo are a good team but if they happen to be we are going to be unbeatable.
Next week be a good test. Go dogs !

SlimPickens
04-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Could really note the improvement in game style. The over reliance on handball last year was ridiculous, quick ball movement by foot opened the game up for us and we hit the scoreboard accordingly. Good win.

Daughter of the West
04-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Lots of good things said about Huntington and Conti, not bad for first gamers. The commentary team mentioned their composure, which is not something easily taught. Excellent early signs for the pups.

I only caught the last quarter on a smart phone, but I thought we looked far less scrappy than some of the other AFLW quarters I caught this weekend.

And KB is just an out and out star, may she stay fit and healthy!

Twodogs
04-02-2018, 11:33 PM
Apart from the Bont KB may be the best player running around in R W & B this year.

bornadog
04-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Apart from the Bont KB may be the best player running around in R W & B this year.
She really has some presence on the field

Twodogs
05-02-2018, 12:04 AM
She really has some presence on the field

She does. She talks other players listen, we are very lucky that she plays for us. It was a tragedy she missed most of last season.

SonofScray
05-02-2018, 12:49 AM
Groves game plan can pretty much just be "kick it to KB & get out of her way."

Twodogs
05-02-2018, 01:10 AM
Groves game plan can pretty much just be "kick it to KB & get out of her way."

The Brennan's paddock game plan.

Hotdog60
05-02-2018, 07:33 AM
I watched all the AFLW games and I thought our skill level was the best on the weekend.
Kicking skills looked far better than the other sides. We look to have a very balanced team do we keep this team now or will there be another turn over of players at the end of the year?

Bulldog4life
05-02-2018, 11:39 AM
I enjoyed watching our girls play this weekend. Their kicking has improved too which is a big plus. If we can keep Kearney, Blackburn and KB on the field it should be a good season for us. Potential stars in Stephenson and Conti both showed a heap of promise and will improve too as the season goes on. Maybe we should have KB as the men's goal kicking coach.:) She has a beautiful action when kicking for goal.

jazzadogs
05-02-2018, 11:41 AM
I watched all the AFLW games and I thought our skill level was the best on the weekend.
Kicking skills looked far better than the other sides. We look to have a very balanced team do we keep this team now or will there be another turn over of players at the end of the year?

There will be a raid of sorts as new teams get added. I can't see Ellie Blackburn staying, I'm sure that I've read she's a Bombers supporter so I'd imagine she'll head there once their team is up and running.

Other than that you're allowed to retain most of your list, only losing players by trade or delisting. I don't know how they will compensate us if someone like Blackburn is poached.

Twodogs
05-02-2018, 12:54 PM
There will be a raid of sorts as new teams get added. I can't see Ellie Blackburn staying, I'm sure that I've read she's a Bombers supporter so I'd imagine she'll head there once their team is up and running.

Other than that you're allowed to retain most of your list, only losing players by trade or delisting. I don't know how they will compensate us if someone like Blackburn is poached.

You really think? There's a big difference between barracking for a club and the sort of buy in a club will demand of a player. Lots of footballers seperate their playing and supporting carers and play for one club but barrack for another (Jm Buckley played in 4 Carlton premiership teams but hates Carlton, he's a Richmond supporter. He delineates between his profession as a footballer and his own personal preference as a supporter)

Anyway I've convinced myself she's staying.;)

Hotdog60
05-02-2018, 01:43 PM
Ellie Blackburn would be a huge loss. It's GWS all over again.
They need to increase the AFLW season to be curtain raisers to the men's games even if at first it was for half a season.
The girls also need to stay more as a team to improve the over synergy of the group.
Settle the lists and increase their pay and bring it to a more professional elite standard where the girls don't need to do other careers and increase junior pathways.
Better training more fitness increased skill levels and entertain for the consumer.
The AFL cannot go in half arsed for too long otherwise the novity will wear off. They need to support it in a big way.

jazzadogs
05-02-2018, 01:43 PM
Considering that the AFL will want the comp equal I imagine it will be something like when GWS and GC joined.

There's something different about being the first ever captain for a team you love, and if I was the bombers I'd be throwing that at Ellie (unfortunately).

Cyberdoggie
05-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Ellie Blackburn would be a huge loss. It's GWS all over again.
They need to increase the AFLW season to be curtain raisers to the men's games even if at first it was for half a season.
The girls also need to stay more as a team to improve the over synergy of the group.
Settle the lists and increase their pay and bring it to a more professional elite standard where the girls don't need to do other careers and increase junior pathways.
Better training more fitness increased skill levels and entertain for the consumer.
The AFL cannot go in half arsed for too long otherwise the novity will wear off. They need to support it in a big way.

Can't go in too fast either.

I think it works this time of the year because there is no other footy on, and the weather is great for sitting at Whitten Oval or elsewhere, and it get's plenty of build up because the cricket and A league are dead boring.

I think it will run longer and into April perhaps but I think will be a challenge to hold interest once the AFL starts up and the weather changes.

As the game improves that may change of course but for now it works where it is.

Raw Toast
05-02-2018, 08:05 PM
A fantastic game, the way footy is supposed to be played (especially by us of course).

The thing that pleased me the most was our (relatively) consistent structure - last year we often seemed rudderless, but in this games we generally had our numbers in the right places, both in terms of attacking through spreading, overlapping and having someone out on the fat side of the ground (Utri had half the ground to herself at times, and did pretty well with it), and even more importantly defensively where we had numbers at the back of packs, and looked pretty composed after being often shambolic (at best) last season.

Hopefully we'll keep this up, and start using the Doug Hawkins wing more when coming out of defense against the wind.

As others have mentioned, we were generally very clean with our ball use, and have recruited really well in that sense. I was a bit shattered when we didn't recruit Molloy (and she had an impressive debut on Friday), but Huntington showed a lot, with her movement, hands, and strength in the contest. And her kicking looked like it will become a weapon as well.

Conti was superb, and along with the usual suspects - Brennan, Blackburn, and Kearney - I thought Lamb was impressive, Scott was great, Utri had some fine moments, Brunton was quite good and should get better, and Toogood had a purple patch. O'Connor, who I've been a bit critical of, had an excellent game, impacting lots of contests, and kicking a glorious goal. Hopefully she'll continue to work on tapping to advantage (I guess that's synchronisation between ruck and mids just takes time), and perhaps she was injured last year, because she was so much more composed and capable yesterday.

Spark and Birch read the play well down back, Ernst did her bit (although needs to get rid of it quicker at times), Utri made space well, Lochland was everywhere, as was Callinan until she was crunched. Gogos is great inside, and Ferres had some good touches and put her body on the line. Berry is another who contributed nicely, Mackie also had a nice debut, and hopefully Bannister is ok.

Overall, we've clearly strengthened and deepened our midfield stocks, which let us down a bit last year, and also have a few more forward targets to help spread the load. At the moment it looks like our recruiting after last season has been more than astute.

A couple of huge games coming up, if we at least split them we'll be well placed.

josie
05-02-2018, 11:49 PM
Good analysis woofers. I also noted the marked skill increase in... marking (bad pun I know).

bornadog
06-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Good analysis woofers. I also noted the marked skill increase in... marking (bad pun I know).

I noticed that too, we seem to take a lot of marks around the ground.

Testekill
06-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Sad to hear that Bannister is going to miss a year with an ACL, I thought she showed a bit on debut before her injury.

ledge
06-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Be interesting to see how we go against Brisbane , I would say KB will be very much on their radar as will Blackburn, let's see if Huntington and others can take over.

Bulldog4life
08-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Susan Alberti AC Retweeted
@Adrian9Johnson6
Feb 5
More
What a surprise!

#AFLW Bulldogs captain @Katie_Brennan16 was absolutely stoked to see her brother Paul and dad Terry visit her today.

when Katie filled in for Paul’s AusKick team when she was 5yo and kicked 7 goals ��

#7Sport #7AFL #DareToCreate

Wow!

Twodogs
08-02-2018, 02:25 PM
Susan Alberti AC Retweeted
@Adrian9Johnson6
Feb 5
More
What a surprise!

#AFLW Bulldogs captain @Katie_Brennan16 was absolutely stoked to see her brother Paul and dad Terry visit her today.

when Katie filled in for Paul’s AusKick team when she was 5yo and kicked 7 goals ��

#7Sport #7AFL #DareToCreate

Wow!

In yr 12 we (the senior boys' cricket team) lost to the intermediate (ie younger than us) girls indoor cricket team in a challenge. It took us a while to live that one down.

Mind you they were state champions at indoor cricket at their year level. And we weren't. We definitely weren't.