PDA

View Full Version : Has 2016 Ruined Football For You?

comrade
30-01-2018, 11:08 PM
It has for me.

In the best way possible of course. Give me the 2016 flag over anything else, everyday of the week.

But since then, the life and death nature of supporting the Dogs has dissipated. I've barely kept up with pre-season training news, the draft was a non-event when previously I would devour everything and anything to do with our future champions.

The flag has dulled my passion in a way. Not my love of the Bulldogs (I wouldn't check in here everyday otherwise), but in the way I support them now. I struggled to get angry last year. Yeah, there were some moments (the Eagles/Demons back to back weeks come to mind) but I honestly felt so grateful to the playing group for giving us the flag, I struggled to muster any real energy in terms of footy in 2017 and to be honest, I'm not that excited for 2018 either.

Anyone else feeling that post-2016 malaise?

GVGjr
30-01-2018, 11:11 PM
I don't reflect too much on 2016 but I suspect many are like you Comrade.
I very much look forward to drafts, training, the VFL and watching the Dogs play. I haven't lost any passion for the club

bornadog
30-01-2018, 11:32 PM
I very much look forward to drafts, training, the VFL and watching the Dogs play. I haven't lost any passion for the club

Ditto for me.

The only thing I am angry about is not making finals in 2017 and the behaviour of some of the players, but I am just as enthusiastic as ever to watch the team play.

Hotdog60
30-01-2018, 11:33 PM
I'm quite the opposite.
I can't wait for this weekend and the see the Dogs hit the field. I'm interested in all the preseason stuff but I never go over the top with it. I want to see us in more finals and holding more cups to be a member that all the other supporters hate.
To long in the wilderness at either not having a look to not quite being good enough but with this team I feel good things and I'm bound for glory bring on 2018.

MrMahatma
31-01-2018, 12:39 AM
Nope. As addicted and obsessed as ever. Bring on the season!

ratsmac
31-01-2018, 02:35 AM
I am with you Comrade. I'm still a tragic supporter and mad as hell but there is definitely a sense of contentment with footy. Before I was never content, the longing to see the doggies being the ones on the dais was relentless but with a feeling it was only a fantasy that could never come to pass. When it actually happened its like I found the missing piece to make my collection complete. Now it's complete I need to start a new collection. It's 1:30am and I'm delirious and probably not making any sense, good night :)

Bulldog Joe
31-01-2018, 07:56 AM
I am excited for the year ahead and feeling like the same period in 2016.

My only concern is that life is interfering with my footy following way too much.

ledge
31-01-2018, 10:38 AM
I definitley have a satisfaction mindset now I've seen it but am still going to VFL/AFL and the women's games , I look at the game more as in game plan and understanding it more than yelling, screaming and being frustrated before 2016.
I have an interest in seeing if we copy what happened the years after 1954 and worry about that.
Would like to see the women get a premiership then I've lived in an era of all 3 grades flags.
Life has definitely been different since 2016 , I Am more mellow and satisfied.
I was always worried what would happen if we won one , like my football and cricket career after I was involved in a few premierships my passion turned to teaching the young and getting into coaching, as far as winning a flag is so amazing, so is coaching and watching the kids under you Be successful and you feel a warmth that you have helped a kid enjoy sport and they never forget you and the things you taught them no matter how small it was.

Twodogs
31-01-2018, 10:40 AM
I've had a taste, it tasted bloody good, and now I want more.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-01-2018, 10:43 AM
I’ve definitely lost passion for footy. Not so much the bulldogs though. I definitely take a different attitude to watching our games now. I’m not as stressed or pessimistic! I still follow draft news and a little of preseason like usual. But the AFL in general I’ve sort of lost interest in. Satisfaction and content are the right words when watching the doggies. Would I say I’ve lost passion? I don’t think so. It’s just....different

Bulldog4life
31-01-2018, 11:02 AM
I don't reflect too much on 2016 but I suspect many are like you Comrade.

Ditto for me. I read and devour anything doggies related. Looking forward to the 2018 season.

Sedat
31-01-2018, 11:26 AM
It has for me.

In the best way possible of course. Give me the 2016 flag over anything else, everyday of the week.

But since then, the life and death nature of supporting the Dogs has dissipated. I've barely kept up with pre-season training news, the draft was a non-event when previously I would devour everything and anything to do with our future champions.

The flag has dulled my passion in a way. Not my love of the Bulldogs (I wouldn't check in here everyday otherwise), but in the way I support them now. I struggled to get angry last year. Yeah, there were some moments (the Eagles/Demons back to back weeks come to mind) but I honestly felt so grateful to the playing group for giving us the flag, I struggled to muster any real energy in terms of footy in 2017 and to be honest, I'm not that excited for 2018 either.

It's like you have a window into my soul, comrade. A combination of reaching the summit in the most unexpected and thrilling way possible, and the way the game has been administered by the AFEL (most notably the Essendon doping saga and the regression of the aesthetic quality of the modern game, which is borderline unwatchable and dead boring) has left me with a deep feeling of ambivalence for the game. It's there, I'll watch during the season, I'll take an interest in drafts/trade period, and if we are at the pointy end again I'll be very happy. But I am nowhere near as emotionally invested as I have been for the vast majority of my 46 years on the planet.

What the AFEL did with regard to Essendon was the final straw for me - that club disgraced the code and set about to systematically cheat like no other sporting team in the world has ever done. And yet the narrative around that shitstain of a club has been a warped interpretation of the real story into a confected one of "courage and redemption". They should have been kicked out of the competition for good and their license handed to Tasmania, such was the depth of their cheating from the top down and the damage they caused the code.

The game itself is also a shambles. Lowest scoring in 50 years, massive problems with congestion, rolling mauls and stoppages. To be perfectly frank it is a shit product to passionately invest my time in, if not for the Bulldogs. What is so frustrating is that it's very easy to remedy (I've made suggestions elsewhere on woof).

I'm not some old man yelling at a cloud who hankers for the past just for the sake of it - there are clear problems with the modern game and the administrators have been asleep at the wheel and not been able to adequately manage even the most basic fundamentals that they are employed to do, allowing coaches/players to control the (d)evolution of the game. They excel in diversionary tactics to take away from the awful quality of the actual game today, and they have the entire media in their back pocket to control the communication of their narrative. They point to crowds and ratings as justification for their performance, but the reality is these crowds and ratings have been captive in footy states for decades.

Richmond were brilliantly coached (much like we were in 2016) and their players brilliantly executed their game plan - it was a thoroughly deserved premiership by them, but the fact that such an unwatchable game plan proved so successful is a savage indictment on City Hall.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-01-2018, 12:10 PM
I can't disagree with Sedat, more so on the point of Essendon and the BS narrative that surrounds them. Makes me sick every time I listen to the media or AFL spin a 'redemption' feel good story. They should have been punished far greater than they were and there should be no rubbish storyline. Let's not forget what they did.

That aside, and annoyances with the AFL aside, I am looking forward to 2018 more than I was 2017.

I want to see what we're made of again. I want to see us respond and I want to see this group of players hunt.

Bulldog Revolution
31-01-2018, 01:23 PM
2016 has not diminished my enthusiasm at all

But I am disappointed in 2017, and disappointed that there was another fairytale premiership straight after us

However, since winning the flag, I am trying to become better and having some downtime (non footy focused) in my calendar - once the draft is done, I try to switch off until the games start - or at least thats what Im trying to do

bornadog
31-01-2018, 01:38 PM
The game itself is also a shambles. Lowest scoring in 50 years, massive problems with congestion, rolling mauls and stoppages. To be perfectly frank it is a shit product to passionately invest my time in, if not for the Bulldogs. What is so frustrating is that it's very easy to remedy (I've made suggestions elsewhere on woof).

As a matter of interest, when was the product to your liking?

Twodogs
31-01-2018, 02:00 PM
I have to admit I am really angry about Essendon keeping their #1 pick and keeping all the other advantages that they cheated to get and the fact they are obviously paying way over the salary cap to keep their list together and the AFL changed the rules regarding player retention (originally after 2016 their top up players like McDonald-Tipingwudi were supposed to go into the draft for every club to have access to. But, no the afl changed the rules and Essendon just got to retain them) But I remain confident that it will all come out in he wash and Essendon will pay a far heftier price than if they had just shut up and accepted their punishment.

Murphy'sLore
31-01-2018, 03:48 PM
I must admit I am struggling to muster the same passion as pre-premiership. After experiencing the PERFECT premiership, so unexpected, so heroic, each game with its own individual challenge and story, all culminating in that sublimely emotional day -- nothing will ever match that magical month.

I said afterwards, that's it, I quit footy, I'm done, I've had it all. And sadly, that seems to have come true to an extent! Trying to rev myself up again, but gee it's hard work.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-01-2018, 04:01 PM
It's like you have a window into my soul, comrade. A combination of reaching the summit in the most unexpected and thrilling way possible, and the way the game has been administered by the AFEL (most notably the Essendon doping saga and the regression of the aesthetic quality of the modern game, which is borderline unwatchable and dead boring) has left me with a deep feeling of ambivalence for the game. It's there, I'll watch during the season, I'll take an interest in drafts/trade period, and if we are at the pointy end again I'll be very happy. But I am nowhere near as emotionally invested as I have been for the vast majority of my 46 years on the planet.

What the AFEL did with regard to Essendon was the final straw for me - that club disgraced the code and set about to systematically cheat like no other sporting team in the world has ever done. And yet the narrative around that shitstain of a club has been a warped interpretation of the real story into a confected one of "courage and redemption". They should have been kicked out of the competition for good and their license handed to Tasmania, such was the depth of their cheating from the top down and the damage they caused the code.

I'm not some old man yelling at a cloud who hankers for the past just for the sake of it - there are clear problems with the modern game and the administrators have been asleep at the wheel and not been able to adequately manage even the most basic fundamentals that they are employed to do, allowing coaches/players to control the (d)evolution of the game. They excel in diversionary tactics to take away from the awful quality of the actual game today, and they have the entire media in their back pocket to control the communication of their narrative. They point to crowds and ratings as justification for their performance, but the reality is these crowds and ratings have been captive in footy states for decades.

Richmond were brilliantly coached (much like we were in 2016) and their players brilliantly executed their game plan - it was a thoroughly deserved premiership by them, but the fact that such an unwatchable game plan proved so successful is a savage indictment on City Hall.

Summed up my thoughts precisely. And the "journalism" not just around the essendon saga but footy in general is at an all time low. It's embarrassing and puts a bad taste in my mouth surrounding the sport even more so. I keep saying last season was one of the worst i have seen in terms of quality of football. The games were close during the season but more because the quality was poor and no team had any consistency of playing good footy. The finals that followed supported that. Now i don't know if my record lack of interest was due to the 2016 success or if the footy was really that bad. Maybe a combination of the two.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-01-2018, 04:09 PM
I have to admit I am really angry about Essendon keeping their #1 pick and keeping all the other advantages that they cheated to get and the fact they are obviously paying way over the salary cap to keep their list together and the AFL changed the rules regarding player retention (originally after 2016 their top up players like McDonald-Tipingwudi were supposed to go into the draft for every club to have access to. But, no the afl changed the rules and Essendon just got to retain them) But I remain confident that it will all come out in he wash and Essendon will pay a far heftier price than if they had just shut up and accepted their punishment.
The biggest blight in the history of the game. They cheated and were essentially rewarded for it. Still makes my blood boil that the AFL awarded the number 1 pick to a team that finished last because it was without it’s best players because they systematically cheated. That is not the purpose of the number 1 pick. And then to add to that the AFL allow the cheats to hold onto the players they got a free look at because of the cheating. They’ve had numerous leg ups on top of all other teams who played it fair. It’s bad enough that I’m sure the Brisbane lions have considered whether administrating a drugs program would accelerate their rebuild. Absolute lack of integrity. And the narrative in the press that poor Essendon should keep their number 1 pick because they’ve been through enough is sickening

bornadog
31-01-2018, 04:09 PM
I must admit I am struggling to muster the same passion as pre-premiership. After experiencing the PERFECT premiership, so unexpected, so heroic, each game with its own individual challenge and story, all culminating in that sublimely emotional day -- nothing will ever match that magical month.

I said afterwards, that's it, I quit footy, I'm done, I've had it all. And sadly, that seems to have come true to an extent! Trying to rev myself up again, but gee it's hard work.

I feel a bit like that in the off season, but I get revved up about two weeks before the start of the season. See how you feel come round 1.

Twodogs
31-01-2018, 04:41 PM
The biggest blight in the history of the game. They cheated and were essentially rewarded for it. Still makes my blood boil that the AFL awarded the number 1 pick to a team that finished last because it was without it’s best players because they systematically cheated. That is not the purpose of the number 1 pick. And then to add to that the AFL allow the cheats to hold onto the players they got a free look at because of the cheating. They’ve had numerous leg ups on top of all other teams who played it fair. It’s bad enough that I’m sure the Brisbane lions have considered whether administrating a drugs program would accelerate their rebuild. Absolute lack of integrity. And the narrative in the press that poor Essendon should keep their number 1 pick because they’ve been through enough is sickening

Sickening is exactly the right word. It sickened me to watch it, to hear it, to read about it and to experience it. The fact that Essendon skated out the other side of their "punishment" bruise free is a farce. It just reinforces the fact that the AFL is a boys club.

As much as I despised Wayne Jackson and Ross Oakley maybe a head honcho like that is a neccesary evil. It's difficult to imagine either of them cuddling up to Essendon and giving them a slap on the wrists and a big kiss on the forehead.

Sedat
31-01-2018, 05:23 PM
As a matter of interest, when was the product to your liking?
My optimum AFL era in terms of quality of spectacle and adherence to the unique aspects of the game was the period from the early 90's to 2004. That period was the perfect balance of attacking instinct and defensive quality. There was no time for mass flooding in defence, so the game was open and free of the congestion today, and as a result scoring was much higher and individual highlights were plentiful. The game started to turn to pot when Paul Roos won a flag with his hideous stoppage-heavy game plan - I blame John Worsfold equally because he had a 6 goal better team on paper and could barely scrape 1 flag being such a crap coach.

Because Roos was relatively successful, his shit stoppage-laden defensive game plan was even more dramatically refined by Ross Lyon - we have Bomber Thompson to thank for stopping the further erosion of attacking football with his Geelong teams being successful. Unfortunately we've regressed further since then with stoppages choking the life out of the game and scoring dramatically reduced as a result.

There are simple remedies that will fix the majority of today's problems but they are seemingly too difficult for AFEL executives on $2.5m a year to comprehend.

I did enjoy 2016 immensely, in particular that 4 week patch from early Sep to Oct 1 ;)

Bulldog4life
31-01-2018, 05:34 PM
After 1989 when we were very close to losing our great club I will never lose the passion of anything doggy related. They were very dark days. I look forward to every season. I read every article. Irrespective of what occurs in the AFEL it just doesn't matter to me. Looking forward to a successful 2018 for the doggies.

bornadog
31-01-2018, 05:47 PM
My optimum AFL era in terms of quality of spectacle and adherence to the unique aspects of the game was the period from the early 90's to 2014. That period was the perfect balance of attacking instinct and defensive quality. There was no time for mass flooding in defence, so the game was open and free of the congestion today, and as a result scoring was much higher and individual highlights were plentiful. The game started to turn to pot when Paul Roos won a flag with his hideous stoppage-heavy game plan - I blame John Worsfold equally because he had a 6 goal better team on paper and could barely scrape 1 flag being such a crap coach.

Because Roos was relatively successful, his shit stoppage-laden defensive game plan was even more dramatically refined by Ross Lyon - we have Bomber Thompson to thank for stopping the further erosion of attacking football with his Geelong teams being successful. Unfortunately we've regressed further since then with stoppages choking the life out of the game and scoring dramatically reduced as a result.

There are simple remedies that will fix the majority of today's problems but they are seemingly too difficult for AFEL executives on $2.5m a year to comprehend.

I did enjoy 2016 immensely, in particular that 4 week patch from early Sep to Oct 1 ;)

Whilst I see your points, I personally feel its the best spectacle of any sport in the world. There will always be game plans and changes, but rules will never fix the game to look like you want it to. Coaches are too smart and they overcome silly rule changes by changing tactics.

Back when Rodney Eade came up with the flood, and Terry Wallett exploited it even more with the super flood (2000), there were so many calls for rule changes. Thank god that did not happen, as people were talking about zones and the number of players that had to stay in those zones - that would have been a disaster.

The biggest thing that pisses me off is the AFL constantly tampering with the game and rules, but they just can't stop the juggernaut as the game continually evolves with human-beings getting faster, stronger, bigger and more skillful. This year we have 30 players over 190cm out of a list of 40 odd. Once upon a time the ruckman were only 190cm and everyone else was smaller.

AFL to me is the greatest game in the world to watch and nothing comes close despite the AFL morons running the game.

Twodogs
31-01-2018, 06:06 PM
After 1989 when we were very close to losing our great club I will never lose the passion of anything doggy related. They were very dark days. I look forward to every season. I read every article. Irrespective of what occurs in the AFEL it just doesn't matter to me. Looking forward to a successful 2018 for the doggies.

Yep. That near death experience makes me never take the club for granted. We were that close to oblivion and I can't understand how anyone who went the full journey from 1989-2016 could be complacent about our clubs existence, let alone assuming that continued success will come our way. Hard work and fanaticism is the only way forward.

Remi Moses
31-01-2018, 06:34 PM
I start getting up and about by Mid March . It’s great to have a break from the stress of it all.
Yes, I want more success

Twodogs
31-01-2018, 07:42 PM
I've had a taste, it tasted bloody good, and now I want more.

Remi, how did you like and thank the same post mate? It only ever lets me do one or the other for one post.

Go_Dogs
31-01-2018, 08:00 PM
So long as we're graced with players like the Bont, exciting young players like Dale I'll continue to have passion for watching our club play. Because a large portion of my mates follow different sides I also still enjoy the social side of catching up with friends and watching games, but it's more for the mate ship rather than an unwavering love for the game.

I'm a draft nerd, so like that.

A big 2018 for the Dogs is what I'm really looking forward too.

jeemak
31-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Remi, how did you like and thank the same post mate? It only ever lets me do one or the other for one post.

Think that’s impressive, ask him how he parted the sea!

AndrewP6
31-01-2018, 11:46 PM
Nope, not at all. 2017 almost did though - 2016's success makes me want us back up there, not shite like last year. I've never been a huge fan of the draft period, I'm not at all fussed about this AFLX thing. Just fast forward to Round 1.

GVGjr
01-02-2018, 12:11 AM
2016 has not diminished my enthusiasm at all

But I am disappointed in 2017, and disappointed that there was another fairytale premiership straight after us

However, since winning the flag, I am trying to become better and having some downtime (non footy focused) in my calendar - once the draft is done, I try to switch off until the games start - or at least thats what Im trying to do

Our performance in 2017 was a simply terrible defense of our hard won success in 2016, a real blight on the club in my opinion. I've said it before but complacency is a killer and too many people just bludged in 2017.
That said, I'm far more positive about the way we enter the 2018 season than I was in 2017. At least the players seem up for a good old fashioned fight this year.

I can understand why complacency hit the club and the supporters in 2017 but there is no excuse from the same to occur in 2018. We expect the players to be switched on and give it a red hot go but then seem to think it's OK for supporters to have a Tomic sized level of being half arsed. We need to be all the way in not just sitting on the fence waiting to see if the players will drag us along.

I also can't accept that people use the AFL as the reason why they are still in a funk with their level of interest in our club while resting on (or blaming it on) the success of 2016. We should want and demand more of the same from our club in 2018 and forget the side show that is the AFL.

Twodogs
01-02-2018, 12:32 AM
Our performance in 2017 was a simply terrible defense of our hard won success in 2016, a real blight on the club in my opinion. I've said it before but complacency is a killer and too many people just bludged in 2017.
That said, I'm far more positive about the way we enter the 2018 season than I was in 2017. At least the players seem up for a good old fashioned fight this year.

I can understand why complacency hit the club and the supporters in 2017 but there is no excuse from the same to occur in 2018. We expect the players to be switched on and give it a red hot go but then seem to think it's OK for supporters to have a Tomic sized level of being half arsed. We need to be all the way in not just sitting on the fence waiting to see if the players will drag us along.

I also can't accept that people use the AFL as the reason why they are still in a funk with their level of interest in our club while resting on (or blaming it on) the success of 2016. We should want and demand more of the same from our club in 2018 and forget the side show that is the AFL.

Agreed. I am willing to allow them one poor season (I know that's not what you were saying but now we are talking about me ;) )where they may have read the press and attached some tickets to themselves. I can understand that but I won't be so understanding if it happens again. It's like a dropped catch in cricket, we forget about last season and concentrate on the next one.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-02-2018, 10:48 AM
The AFL has not affected my passion for the club. My point is simply if the bulldogs don't exist then neither will the AFL. I only have interest in the sport because of the bulldogs.

bornadog
01-02-2018, 01:13 PM
The AFL has not affected my passion for the club. My point is simply if the bulldogs don't exist then neither will the AFL. I only have interest in the sport because of the bulldogs.

I would still love the game, but most likely would rarely attend and wouldn't follow another club.

Twodogs
01-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Meh! I'm far more impressed with the like/thanks thingy. Remi tricked the Internet, now that is a miracle.

Twodogs
01-02-2018, 03:56 PM
I would still love the game, but most likely would rarely attend and wouldn't follow another club.

Would you get involved in local footy perhaps?

I always thought that's what would happen with me when we won a flag but I want more.

bornadog
01-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Would you get involved in local footy perhaps?

I always thought that's what would happen with me when we won a flag but I want more.

Of course I want more. We have a lot of catching up to do.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-02-2018, 04:17 PM

The game itself is the best around. The AFL is another story.

merantau
02-02-2018, 09:23 AM
I am really looking forward to the season. Last year was a big disappointment and we have something to prove. I was certain at the end of 2016 that we had a good chance to go back-to-back with so many injured/unavailable players ready to come back. Alas ... what's that thing about chickens and hatching?
I do approach games a bit differently now I think. I expect to win just about every game so when we win maybe my euphoria is diminished a bit. And conversly, when we lose, my disappointment is intensified especially if we drop a game against inferior opposition. For example, losing that game to Melbourne last year and dropping the last three games of the season was a bitter pill to swallow.
I am expecting a huge year from our players, especially from those who were down last year.

The Doctor
02-02-2018, 01:29 PM
I watched the 2016 prelim again this morning. The Stringer to Dickson pass still gives me goosebumps

Footy was only enhanced by our magnificent triumph because I want that feeling again and I don't care who it's against or how!

Twodogs
02-02-2018, 02:32 PM
I watched the 2016 prelim again this morning. The Stringer to Dickson pass still gives me goosebumps

Footy was only enhanced by our magnificent triumph because I want that feeling again and I don't care who it's against or how!

Even though I was only watching in TV Stringer to Dickson is one of the greatest moments of my barracking career. Of my life actually.

bornadog
02-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Even though I was only watching in TV Stringer to Dickson is one of the greatest moments of my barracking career. Of my life actually.

I knew there was only about 30 or so seconds left (my mate kept texting me the time left), and as Stringer kicked it and the ball floated through the air towards Dickson, I agree it was the greatest moment. Knowing we were in the Grand Final, what a feeling. I didn't even see Dickson kick the ball, I was still jumping up and down.

I want that moment again.

Remi Moses
02-02-2018, 02:58 PM

It wouldn’t like you for some reason ( maybe it’s an arsenal thing ) so I pressed thanks .
Two, I’m a tech Neanderthal so got NFI

Remi Moses
02-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Can I like and thank this post . Bit hard to part the sea, when I’m splitting the atom . Being a bloke I can’t multitask

The Bulldogs Bite
02-02-2018, 04:08 PM
It would be great to win a PF at the MCG and put that curse to bed too.

Twodogs
02-02-2018, 05:42 PM
I knew there was only about 30 or so seconds left (my mate kept texting me the time left), and as Stringer kicked it and the ball floated through the air towards Dickson, I agree it was the greatest moment. Knowing we were in the Grand Final, what a feeling. I didn't even see Dickson kick the ball, I was still jumping up and down.

I want that moment again.

Me too. I've told the story of me running in ever decreasing circles in my front yard yelling Yes, *!*!*!*!ing Yes! over and over again while Harvey stood at his bedroom window yelling obscenities into the early evening. When I eventually ran out of space to keep turning circles and stopped I realised that Mexican bloke next door neighbor and has half a dozen backpacker mates had been watching me the whole time. With their jaws on the ground thinking that I've obviously escaped from the house at last and was I as dangerous as I looked?

The only thing I could think of saying was "football" and their faces all lit up and they told me they loved football too. Then we had to dance.

It wouldn’t like you for some reason ( maybe it’s an arsenal thing ) so I pressed thanks .
Two, I’m a tech Neanderthal so got NFI

Well like I said it's a miracle. Add it to the parting of the seas and you're only one miracle of sainthood.

It would be great to win a PF at the MCG and put that curse to bed too.

Against Adelaide. Or Geelong.

Sedat
03-02-2018, 12:24 AM
If the Bulldogs were not part of the AFL I would be done with the game as a fan, and I have been an AFL tragic since KT kicked 15.9 at the kennel in 1978. The product is poor (and getting poorer each year) and the management of the game by those in charge is corrupt, conflicted and contrived - they are not deserving of my time and energy.

I support the Dogs financially as a member and continue to keep an interest in my club. But the rest of the competition has little more than a cursory interest for me, when in the past I would devour every game and every media platform available.

GVGjr
03-02-2018, 12:36 AM
If the Bulldogs were not part of the AFL I would be done with the game as a fan, and I have been an AFL tragic since KT kicked 15.9 at the kennel in 1978. The product is poor (and getting poorer each year) and the management of the game by those in charge is corrupt, conflicted and contrived.

And despite all that when we perform at our best we can win the competition which is massively enjoyable.
I'm amazed at the funk so many of our supporters have been in since our 2016 triumph. To me it's a self inflicted notion and it's just time for all our supporters to ignore the clown show that is the AFL and get back firmly on the Bulldog bike. No more excuses.

If one drink from the cup is enough for people to me that is disappointing because there are more to be had if we get our act together.
We should all be prepared to start ponying up emotionally for another tilt and not be scared to fall short. We shouldn't just coast along with our memories from our 2016 triumph.

LostDoggy
03-02-2018, 12:50 AM
Me too. I've told the story of me running in ever decreasing circles in my front yard yelling Yes, *!*!*!*!ing Yes! over and over again while Harvey stood at his bedroom window yelling obscenities into the early evening. When I eventually ran out of space to keep turning circles and stopped I realised that Mexican bloke next door neighbor and has half a dozen backpacker mates had been watching me the whole time. With their jaws on the ground thinking that I've obviously escaped from the house at last and was I as dangerous as I looked?

The only thing I could think of saying was "football" and their faces all lit up and they told me they loved football too. Then we had to dance.

Well like I said it's a miracle. Add it to the parting of the seas and you're only one miracle of sainthood.

Against Adelaide. Or Geelong.

Geelong I want them at the G!

Eastdog
03-02-2018, 10:22 PM
2016 was absolutely fantastic for us finally winning another premiership after so long but now 2018 I'm more determined than ever to have that experience again of winning a premiership. Was a let down 2017 so hopefully that will give us motivation to really put in a strong 2018.

Looking forward to catching up with the people around me at the footy again discussing the season ahead.

Eastdog
03-02-2018, 10:27 PM
Agreed. I am willing to allow them one poor season (I know that's not what you were saying) where they may have read the press and attached some tickets to themselves. I can understand that but I won't be so understanding if it happens again. It's like a dropped catch in cricket, we forget about last season and concentrate on the next one.

My sentiments as well Twodogs. Good analogy there with the cricket.

Sedat
07-02-2018, 11:40 AM
And despite all that when we perform at our best we can win the competition which is massively enjoyable.
I'm amazed at the funk so many of our supporters have been in since our 2016 triumph. To me it's a self inflicted notion and it's just time for all our supporters to ignore the clown show that is the AFL and get back firmly on the Bulldog bike. No more excuses.

If one drink from the cup is enough for people to me that is disappointing because there are more to be had if we get our act together.
We should all be prepared to start ponying up emotionally for another tilt and not be scared to fall short. We shouldn't just coast along with our memories from our 2016 triumph.
How on earth can you ignore the 'clown show' when it is their competition and they control everything (including our club)? Apart from websites such as 'woof', absolutely everything else in the media that is Bulldogs related is sanctioned/influenced by those in charge of the game - our club and the AFL are inextricably linked.

If you are a true lover of the game you would be utterly dismayed by how it has been run this century. Self-interest clouds over everything, they have no respect or regard for grass roots footy and they also seek to disrupt/destroy other fantastic sports with their arrogant attitude to controlling the entire annual sporting calendar (especially in the southern states). All of this whilst being asleep at the wheel in managing the actual game, allowing arseholes like Paul Roos to start destroying the essence and uniqueness of what footy is and how it is played. Like I said, if it wasn't for the Bulldogs this competition and the game itself would have lost me as a rusted-on supporter of 40+ years.

None of that means we all don't want to sip from the premiership cup again - it would be wonderful to do so (as many times as possible). I daresay that any future premierships will be wonderful but will not quite compare to 2016 in terms of the story, the unexpected result and the emotion of breaking a 62 years drought. And if 2016 sates some of our supporters, that is fair enough I reckon.

merantau
07-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Agree. The supporters roaring before Dicko's marked the ball is just sublime. I rated that win as the most enjoyable ever because it went right to the wire. The GF was over with 2 -3 minutes to go. It was fantastic but for pure gut wrenching tension, followed by a tidal wave of elation - nothing comes close to it.

GVGjr
07-02-2018, 09:42 PM
How on earth can you ignore the 'clown show' when it is their competition and they control everything (including our club)? Apart from websites such as 'woof', absolutely everything else in the media that is Bulldogs related is sanctioned/influenced by those in charge of the game - our club and the AFL are inextricably linked.

I stopped celebrating the premiership in 2016 and I don't use it as an excuse for any dwindling level of love of the AFL competition.
I'd ask why wasn't it as big as an issue for everyone in 2016 as it appears to be now?

The whole notion of the opening post reeks of saying we have run our marathon and we aren't sure we can invest emotionally again...unless of course the players get on a roll again and then we will jump in.

If you are a true lover of the game you would be utterly dismayed by how it has been run this century. Self-interest clouds over everything, they have no respect or regard for grass roots footy and they also seek to disrupt/destroy other fantastic sports with their arrogant attitude to controlling the entire annual sporting calendar (especially in the southern states). All of this whilst being asleep at the wheel in managing the actual game, allowing arseholes like Paul Roos to start destroying the essence and uniqueness of what footy is and how it is played. Like I said, if it wasn't for the Bulldogs this competition and the game itself would have lost me as a rusted-on supporter of 40+ years.

The passion I have for the club is vastly greater than I have ever had for the AFL/VFL in anytime of following footy. It's not a recent thing. I don't watch a lot of other footy at the AFL preferring the VFL and junior footy games as my distractions away from the Bulldogs.

0+ years.

None of that means we all don't want to sip from the premiership cup again - it would be wonderful to do so (as many times as possible). I daresay that any future premierships will be wonderful but will not quite compare to 2016 in terms of the story, the unexpected result and the emotion of breaking a 62 years drought. And if 2016 sates some of our supporters, that is fair enough I reckon.

The way I see it is if people genuinely want the Bulldogs to go to the top of the mountain again it's a bit rich to do it from the sidelines waiting to see if it's worth investing emotionally for another tilt.

The opening post starts off with:

Has 2016 Ruined Football For You?

It has for me.

This is not a go at Comrade because I know it's what a lot of supporters feel like but rightly or wrongly I see this approach as the equivalent of putting up the 'Gone Fishin' sign or doing a sea change and moving down to Del Boca Vista with Helen and Morty.
People can sit back, blame the AFL or our GF success for their daze but lets face it they will all be lining up for finals tickets come September and they would be mighty pissed off if they missed out. Very few will say I don't need to go this year because 2016 was enough for me.

After such a long wait if one flag is enough for some it isn't for me. I get that winning another is what everyone wants deep down but there is a strong wiff that they want the players to drag them along for the ride rather than being prepared to ride out the season with them regardless.

We can choose to jump in or sit back, everyone can make their own decision, but win or lose I know I'll be lining up again in 2019.

Twodogs
07-02-2018, 09:57 PM
I stopped celebrating the premiership in 2016 and I don't use it as an excuse for any dwindling level of love of the AFL competition.
I'd ask why wasn't it as big as an issue for everyone in 2016 as it appears to be now?

The whole notion of the opening post reeks of saying we have run our marathon and we aren't sure we can invest emotionally again...unless of course the players get on a roll again and then we will jump in.

The passion I have for the club is vastly greater than I have ever had for the AFL/VFL in anytime of following footy. It's not a recent thing. I don't watch a lot of other footy at the AFL preferring the VFL and junior footy games as my distractions away from the Bulldogs.

The way I see it is if people genuinely want the Bulldogs to go to the top of the mountain again it's a bit rich to do it from the sidelines waiting to see if it's worth investing emotionally for another tilt.

The opening post starts off with:

Has 2016 Ruined Football For You?

It has for me.

This is not a go at Comrade because I know it's what a lot of supporters feel like but rightly or wrongly I see this approach as the equivalent of putting up the 'Gone Fishin' sign or doing a sea change and moving down to Del Boca Vista with Helen and Morty.
People can sit back, blame the AFL or our GF success for their daze but lets face it they will all be lining up for finals tickets come September and they would be mighty pissed off if they missed out. Very few will say I don't need to go this year because 2016 was enough for me.

After such a long wait if one flag is enough for some it isn't for me. I get that winning another is what everyone wants deep down but there is a strong wiff that they want the players to drag them along for the ride rather than being prepared to ride out the season with them regardless.

We can choose to jump in or sit back, everyone can make their own decision, but win or lose I know I'll be lining up again in 2019.

Dunno about anyone else but I'm ready to run down the race and *!*!*!*!ing play!

comrade
07-02-2018, 11:14 PM
I still pony up the cash for a social club membership + an additional Ballarat one, but I'd be lying if I said footy felt as important to me since winning the flag.

And to be honest, I feel fine with it.

kruder
07-02-2018, 11:32 PM
2016 ruined football? Is that a mistake in the title? Surely it should read 2017? 2017 the most disappointing I can remember, 2016 was a thing of beauty.

GVGjr
08-02-2018, 02:11 AM
I still pony up the cash for a social club membership + an additional Ballarat one, but I'd be lying if I said footy felt as important to me since winning the flag.

And to be honest, I feel fine with it.

Plenty of people relate to it and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I can't relate to it because 2016 really just checked one thing off the to do list and, like you, I want more of the same. We both still love the club and we are prepared to back that with our financial investment and attending games etc but our difference, I suggest, is how badly we want another flag and if we are consumed by it.
Our triumph in 2016 didn't satisfy my thirst for another

I'm still all in and if we are in the finals I think most people would have jumped on board as well.

comrade
08-02-2018, 08:07 AM
2016 ruined football? Is that a mistake in the title? Surely it should read 2017? 2017 the most disappointing I can remember, 2016 was a thing of beauty.

That's the point. 2016 was such an achievement and once in a lifetime experience, that anything else pales in significance.

2017 barely registered a blip on my radar.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Agree. The supporters roaring before Dicko's marked the ball is just sublime. I rated that win as the most enjoyable ever because it went right to the wire. The GF was over with 2 -3 minutes to go. It was fantastic but for pure gut wrenching tension, followed by a tidal wave of elation - nothing comes close to it.

And also because we all had that fear that this was going to be another gut-wrenching prelim loss. I was an absolute wreck and thinking we would lose by a point. To finally be on the other side of it felt fantastic. By far the best moment i've watched as well

Twodogs
08-02-2018, 11:02 AM

And also because we all had that fear that this was going to be another gut-wrenching prelim loss. I was an absolute wreck and thinking we would lose by a point. To finally be on the other side of it felt fantastic. By far the best moment i've watched as well

Yep I was standing there thinking "how are we going to *!*!*!*! this up" as the ball came down the attacking win and we had them cold on numbers running into attacking positions. I'm thinking OK, so obviously someone will miss a target and the ball will pinball into their attacking area and we we all be out of position" (kind of like the Adelaide final in 2015.)

bulldogsthru&thru
08-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Yep I was standing there thinking "how are we going to *!*!*!*! this up" as the ball came down the attacking win and we had them cold on numbers running into attacking positions. I'm thinking OK, so obviously someone will miss a target and the ball will pinball into their attacking area and we we all be out of position" (kind of like the Adelaide final in 2015.)

Yeah my thoughts as well. When the ball was on the wing i expected a fast transition from GWS straight into their 50. Especially when Dunkley had the ball. Actually even when watching the replay and one of our players has the ball on the wing and kicks 30m backwards i still shudder that it gets intercepted for a goal

Twodogs
08-02-2018, 02:19 PM
Yeah my thoughts as well. When the ball was on the wing i expected a fast transition from GWS straight into their 50. Especially when Dunkley had the ball. Actually even when watching the replay and one of our players has the ball on the wing and kicks 30m backwards i still shudder that it gets intercepted for a goal

And who was it ran over Scully's mark in the middle of the ground? It should have been 50. I didn't notice it on the night (which I guess is why I can never remeber who it was) but now that I watch the replay he may as well be carrying a sign saying "here's your chance!"

The first time we watched the replay my son says to me "this is worse than watching it live, I'm more stressed now than I was then"

bulldogsthru&thru
08-02-2018, 03:35 PM
And who was it ran over Scully's mark in the middle of the ground? It should have been 50. I didn't notice it on the night (which I guess is why I can never remeber who it was) but now that I watch the replay he may as well be carrying a sign saying "here's your chance!"

The first time we watched the replay my son says to me "this is worse than watching it live, I'm more stressed now than I was then"

It was JJ. I didn't see it at the time either.

I still get nervous/stressed watching the replay. Which reminds me. Its been a couple months since i last watched it :D

Twodogs
08-02-2018, 03:53 PM
It was JJ. I didn't see it at the time either.

I still get nervous/stressed watching the replay. Which reminds me. Its been a couple months since i last watched it :D

There's a point. I will be back in a couple of hours...

1eyedog
08-02-2018, 06:53 PM
It has for me.

100% how I feel. Yes.

1eyedog
08-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Everything and anything after my trip to Spotless is chasing the dragon. That was the pinnacle and never again will I attain such heights.

To beat GWS away to get into the Granny. Doesn't get any better than that.

Twodogs
08-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Everything and anything after my trip to Spotless is chasing the dragon. That was the pinnacle and never again will I attain such heights.

Interesting analogy. I guess that puts us with the square heads.

SonofScray
09-02-2018, 09:37 AM

At the risk of being uncouth. Collective load was blown that night. GF the aftermath. We just shagged the cheer leader. was always going to take a little bit for us as fans to go again.

My eyes are already wandering.Given they weren't kicked out of the comp, the next best thing for me would be to beat Essendon in a GF after an away PF win at AO V crows. That'd be nice.

Twodogs
09-02-2018, 11:56 AM
At the risk of being uncouth. Collective load was blown that night. GF the aftermath. We just shagged the cheer leader. was always going to take a little bit for us as fans to go again.

My eyes are already wandering.Given they weren't kicked out of the comp, the next best thing for me would be to beat Essendon in a GF after an away PF win at AO V crows. That'd be nice.

I don't even want Essendon having that measure of success. I honestly don't know if I could take a grand final if they were in it.

jeemak
09-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Beating a full strength EFC, by ten goals with them receiving more free kicks than us is what I want next.

Watching them and their apologists fumble for excuses would be just as satisfying as winning.

Ozza
09-02-2018, 04:02 PM
To answer the OP - no not at all.

Love the game as much as ever, and its even more enjoyable to not have that 'we've never seen our team win a flag' monkey on our back.

For all the absolutely boring and constant whining I read about the league...the last two seasons have shown that all clubs have a chance to win a premiership. Which didn't always feel like it was the case in the past - judging by historical results - particularly in the 70s and 80s, and it was getting back to that from 2005-2015 when only a handful of teams won.

Twodogs
09-02-2018, 04:44 PM
Beating a full strength EFC, by ten goals with them receiving more free kicks than us is what I want next.

Watching them and their apologists fumble for excuses would be just as satisfying as winning.

Were you there in 2000? 1985 at Whitten oval or 1987 at Windy Hill? You probably weren't born in 1977 when I stood on the top of a pie stand at Windy Hill and saw us win by 100 points.

The bulldog tragician
09-02-2018, 05:30 PM
The original post asks a very interesting question. I was always looking at footy, in fact it’s what my blog is about - in terms of why do we follow an unsuccessful club. What on earth drives us in all those wilderness years our club has known so well. It’s something a bit magical and mysterious, because I know I’d still be there if we had (horrible thought) stuffed up the GWS PF. But our failures, the heartache we endured, our unmatched ability to fail to show our best in finals - they were so much part of our story too. Somehow that pain rusted us even further on. I sense it’s something fans of successful club just wouldn’t understand.

Now we have a different story. We know that when Bont said: “Why not us?” that it really was quite a simple uncomplicated practical question, not the one we’d asked, again and again, as we trudged out of the MCG as losers or watched other fans heading to the grand final parade.

So 2017 was a really strange year. I felt irritation when we lost. I was frustrated that players that we knew could play at an amazing level dropped off. But I no longer had that sense of the fates always, always being against us. After all JJ was denied that goal in the grand final, and our team just said, ok let’s get another one. And they did. That moment alone, when Roughie took the mark after the goal was changed to a point, it may have changed everything I thought I knew about what barracking for the Dogs was all about.

I still desperately want us to win more flags, but I feel more at ease with the likelihood that it will happen. I’ve joked at some points that when we used to ask the universe: JUST ONE FLAG IN MY LIFETIME..they didn’t have to take me so damn literally.

There will never be another year, another story quite like 2016. I view footy differently now, but not in a bad way.

Sedat
09-02-2018, 05:32 PM
For all the absolutely boring and constant whining I read about the league...the last two seasons have shown that all clubs have a chance to win a premiership.
Revisionist history - plenty of teams including us had numerous chances to win a flag in that 2005-2015 period you mentioned and earlier. We (and others) just weren't good enough when it counted. In 2016 and 2017 the best teams at the pointy end of the season won the flag just as they have done in 99% of seasons previously.

What you consider "absolutely boring" and "constant whining" is actually great concern for how the game has been played in the last 10 or so years and how it will be played in 5, 10, 20, 50+ years from now. You clearly like the product and think it is awesome how the game has virtually abandoned one-on-one positional play in favour of highly tactical and structural set-ups designed to minimise risk. I don't share your wildly optimistic view. If others are turned on by low scoring, multiple stoppages, congestion, incessant tackling, glorified circle work, reduced contested marking and Joe the Goose out the back cheapies they are in for a treat with the modern game. For mine it is a vastly inferior product today compared to the brilliant spectacle the game produced from the early 90's to the early 00's pre Paul Roos.

comrade
09-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Losing Dalrymple hasn’t exactly helped my indifference.

Ozza
09-02-2018, 08:44 PM
Revisionist history - plenty of teams including us had numerous chances to win a flag in that 2005-2015 period you mentioned and earlier. We (and others) just weren't good enough when it counted. In 2016 and 2017 the best teams at the pointy end of the season won the flag just as they have done in 99% of seasons previously.

What you consider "absolutely boring" and "constant whining" is actually great concern for how the game has been played in the last 10 or so years and how it will be played in 5, 10, 20, 50+ years from now. You clearly like the product and think it is awesome how the game has virtually abandoned one-on-one positional play in favour of highly tactical and structural set-ups designed to minimise risk. I don't share your wildly optimistic view. If others are turned on by low scoring, multiple stoppages, congestion, incessant tackling, glorified circle work, reduced contested marking and Joe the Goose out the back cheapies they are in for a treat with the modern game. For mine it is a vastly inferior product today compared to the brilliant spectacle the game produced from the early 90's to the early 00's pre Paul Roos.

I find the view of on the product as compared to the 90s & 2000s also revisionist history. All eras have had ordinary games, and terrific games on any given weekend. The game moves on and evolves through different styles through different eras also and it is influenced far more by the coaching, levels of professionalism, fitness, and whatever the 'in vogue' game plan is at the time (usually the game style of the team who won the most recent premiership). The game is more even that it ever has been, any team can beat any other team on any given day.

I don't necessarily think the game is any better or any worse than previous eras - it just evolves I appreciate it for what it is, and enjoy the outlet.

On the style of play - the league is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Play gets more defensive and congested - so they look to make rule changes to manouevre around the coaching strategies - but then the league is potted for tinkering with the rules.

Sedat
09-02-2018, 10:14 PM
I find the view of on the product as compared to the 90s & 2000s also revisionist history.
In 1992 there were 2 teams who scored under 2000 points for the entire season - and minor premier Geelong scored in excess of 3000 points, which is insane. In 2017 there were 11 teams who scored under 2000 points, including the eventual premier. It is not only disingenuous, it is blatantly wrong to suggest there were as many poor games back then compared to now.

Scoring was so much higher throughout the 90's and early 00's compared to recent seasons, with 2017 plumbing new depths in scoring not seen since the days of the waterlogged suburban grounds of the 1960's. With pristine ground conditions, games going longer than ever, and a fully professional environment, it is an indictment on the AFL that they have presided on such a downward spiral of scoring in the modern game.

Ozza
09-02-2018, 10:44 PM
In 1992 there were 2 teams who scored under 2000 points for the entire season - and minor premier Geelong scored in excess of 3000 points, which is insane. In 2017 there were 11 teams who scored under 2000 points, including the eventual premier. It is not only disingenuous, it is blatantly wrong to suggest there were as many poor games back then compared to now.

Scoring was so much higher throughout the 90's and early 00's compared to recent seasons, with 2017 plumbing new depths in scoring not seen since the days of the waterlogged suburban grounds of the 1960's. With pristine ground conditions, games going longer than ever, and a fully professional environment, it is an indictment on the AFL that they have presided on such a downward spiral of scoring in the modern game.

Ok, your point is clear. High scoring = better football.

And your comment that it's disingenuous and blatantly wrong to suggest there were as many poor games back then....of course, it was all classics back then with the Bears, the Swans, Fitzroy and others putting together some classics - we must have just missed them seeing as only a handful of games were on tv each week.

Sedat
09-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Ok, your point is clear. High scoring = better football.
Its not that simple an equation. Positional play + one-on-one contests + fast ball movement - congestion and stoppages = high scoring and attractive football. There are poor games in every era but there has never been so many dull, low scoring, congestion and stoppage heavy games as there are today. And as a 40+ year rusted on fan of the game, I've never been so disengaged in non-Bulldog matches as I am today.