PDA

View Full Version : Elite players

GVGjr
03-02-2018, 07:52 PM
AFL.com have an article which list Elite players by club based on Champion Data rankings

The article is here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-03/the-true-elites-which-clubs-have-got-them)

Interesting for us is that CD only rates one of our players elite: Jason Johannisen

"The Western Bulldogs have just one elite player and it's not who you would immediately suspect.

Rebounding half-back Jason Johannisen has been given the nod, despite what was a statistically down year compared with his 2016 season.

Marcus Bontempelli hasn't been branded as elite, but instead has been given the tag of 'above average'"

Is this fair or otherwise?

The list:

Adelaide
Brodie Smith
Rory Sloane
Rory Laird
Eddie Betts
Tom Lynch
Taylor Walker

Brisbane Lions
Daniel Rich
Dayne Zorko

Carlton
Sam Docherty

Collingwood
Jeremy Howe
Scott Pendlebury
Jack Crisp

Essendon
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Michael Hurley

Fremantle
Nat Fyfe

Geelong
Patrick Dangerfield
Gary Ablett
Sam Menegola
Daniel Menzel

Gold Coast
Aaron Hall
Tom Lynch

GWS
Zac Williams
Toby Greene
Jeremy Cameron
Lachie Whitfield

Hawthorn
Ben McEvoy
Luke Breust
Cyril Rioli

Melbourne
Jake Lever
Christian Petracca
Jayden Hunt
Tom McDonald

North Melbourne
Todd Goldstein

Port Adelaide
Robbie Gray
Paddy Ryder
Justin Westhoff
Charlie Dixon
Chad Wingard
Travis Boak

Richmond
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Shane Edwards

St Kilda
Jack Sinclair

Sydney
Lance Franklin
Dan Hannebery
Tom Papley
Josh Kennedy
Dane Rampe

West Coast
Jeremy McGovern
Elliot Yeo
Shannon Hurn
Josh Kennedy
Luke Shuey
Nic Naitanui

Western Bulldogs
Jason Johannisen

Rocket Science
03-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Given it lists Todd Goldstein as 'elite' it really belongs in the bin.

Eastdog
03-02-2018, 08:57 PM
Would have thought the Bont would be more than above average.

I would have expected Jack Macrae in there. A good 2017 in a dissapointing year for the club.

comrade
03-02-2018, 09:49 PM
Any rating system that has Bont as anything but elite is worthless.

Eastdog
03-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Any rating system that has Bont as anything but elite is worthless.

Wasn't his greatest year last year but gee Bont was still influential in games.

Twodogs
03-02-2018, 11:01 PM
I haven't totalled a figure but I've seen around a thousand games of league footy and Maarcus Bontempelli is as elite as they come. Champion Data must be drinking some vintage bathwater to think otherwise.

I am entirely confident that one day in the not too distant future there will be the Bont and the rest of the competition about a level behind him.

Flamethrower
03-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Champion Data would be wise to employ the services of an IT expert to build them multiple firewalls, as it appears some of their data has been corrupted by Qbot or WannaCry malware.

Eastdog
03-02-2018, 11:04 PM
I haven't totalled a figure but I've seen around a thousand games of league footy and Maarcus Bontempelli is as elite as they come. Champion Data must be drinking some vintage bathwater to think otherwise.

How can they say that he is not elite. One of our best and most important players.

JJ certainly was very good in 2016 and did have some decent games in 2017 but no where near elite in 2017. Even thought he polled surprised high in the Sutton medal.

Twodogs
04-02-2018, 12:20 AM
So I'm guessing this us one of those pisstakes from the roar?

I mean to say

Richmond
Shane Edwards

Pfffffet. Bwahahahahaha. Sha, Pffffttt, Sha, Bwahahahaha. Oh god I can't even say his name. Now. Hang on. Concentrate. ShaneedwardsisekiteandMarcusBontempelliisnt!!! There. By not taking a breath between words I managed to say it without laughing.

BWAHAHAHABWAHAHAHABWAHAHAHABWAHAHAHABWAHAHAHABWAHAHAHA OH god, oh Jesus my stomach is starting to hurt Pfffft BWAHAHAHABWAHAHAHABWAHAHAHABWAHAHAHABWAHAHAHA

Oh hang on, I think I've wet myself,..

Twodogs
04-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Champion Data would be wise to employ the services of an IT expert to build them multiple firewalls, as it appears some of their data has been corrupted by Qbot or WannaCry malware.

They need to break out the old Remington electric typewriters like the CIA. If you're not connected to anything then you can't be hacked.

bornadog
04-02-2018, 12:45 AM
I saw that during the week and just laughed.

Twodogs
04-02-2018, 02:16 AM
I saw that during the week and just laughed.

I still haven't stopped laughing. Jeremy Howe.

Doc26
04-02-2018, 02:35 AM
These latest CD findings do not raise any question on Marcus’s actual status in the game. What it does raise is where CD should be ranked in its ability to provide credible analysis on the game and its players. Without question it is average at best. Jack Sinclair ranked elite and a higher ranked player than Marcus should’ve raised an alarm bell at CD HQ that their modelling criteria is not calibrated correctly. For example how do they model that Marcus is double teamed by the opposition for every second of a game because of the damage he inflicts whereas a Jack Sinclair has probably never seen a tag in his AFL career and can generally go about his craft freewheeling?

Twodogs
04-02-2018, 02:44 AM
These latest CD findings do not raise any question on Marcus’s actual status in the game. What it does raise is where CD should be ranked in its ability to provide credible analysis on the game and its players. Without question it is average at best. Jack Sinclair ranked elite and a higher ranked player than Marcus should’ve raised an alarm bell at CD HQ that their modelling criteria is not calibrated correctly. For example how do they model that Marcus is double teamed by the opposition for every second of a game because of the damage he inflicts whereas a Jack Sinclair has probably never seen a tag in his AFL career and can generally go about his craft freewheeling?

That's usually the point in the argument where I tell my son to go to his room.;)

S Coast Simon
05-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Someone said it earlier. CD can’t measure influence yet so these things are rediculus. If you can’t do it properly don’t bother doing it I say.

Remi Moses
05-02-2018, 10:30 AM
They should have binned champion data after our 16 triumph.Just Boffins who have no idea

Twodogs
05-02-2018, 11:01 AM
They should have binned champion data after our 16 triumph.Just Boffins who have no idea

Yeah. They got that spectacularly wrong every week.

GVGjr
05-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Just remember that CD were the ones convinced that Caleb Daniel was a good footballer.
You don't follow CD blindly but it's worth investigating some of there conclusions.

BulldogBelle
10-02-2018, 05:23 PM
I would love to post an image here of Tim English taking a big mark.

The image is 23 kb in size and I get a message that I have exceeded my quota by 1.11 megs.

My post on AFLW disappeared too. Moved?

GVGjr
10-02-2018, 07:32 PM
I would love to post an image here of Tim English taking a big mark.

The image is 23 kb in size and I get a message that I have exceeded my quota by 1.11 megs.

My post on AFLW disappeared too. Moved?

It was moved to the AFL Womans League Forum.

Cheers

ratsmac
11-02-2018, 03:57 AM
Surely this article is a stitch up. I mean Daniel Rich, Jeremy Howe, Jack Crisp, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti cmon I haven't even got to Melbourne yet. Who wrote this article, Nathan Bourke?

Testekill
11-02-2018, 11:27 PM
Champion data is a joke. The fact that Menegola, Petracca and Shane F'n Edwards are considered elite while Bontempelli is just above average is laughable.

Topdog
12-02-2018, 08:56 AM
They have him listed as the 11th best player in the competition here

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings

Twodogs
12-02-2018, 09:40 AM

And only 3 players ahead of the Bont on that list are premiership players like the Bont.

That's the really important mark of a player. That's what every player plays the game to do. It's the ultimate accolade.

westdog54
12-02-2018, 09:47 AM

And yet he's not 'elite'?

The AFL are pissing money down the drain by using this mob.

1eyedog
13-02-2018, 12:23 PM
I still haven't stopped laughing. Jeremy Howe.

Good player
Bont was talked about last week as the best clutch player in the comp.