07-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Sunday 11th February
South Pine Sports Complex
4:35pm AEDT

Broadcast

Fox Footy LIVE – 4.30pm

Testekill
07-02-2018, 01:16 PM
Gonna be stinking hot on Sunday, 36 with 50% humidity.

bornadog
07-02-2018, 02:44 PM
Gonna be stinking hot on Sunday, 36 with 50% humidity.

Does it cool off after 4.30?

Testekill
07-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Does it cool off after 4.30?

It's sadly going to be a hot week so there isn't going to be a cool change coming through. It might drop slightly to about 33 depending on wind chill but it's gonna be rough.

Twodogs
07-02-2018, 04:40 PM
It's sadly going to be a hot week so there isn't going to be a cool change coming through. It might drop slightly to about 33 depending on wind chill but it's gonna be rough.

That's footy for you.

I can remember playing games, going hard at a couple of contests and then going and hiding in the shade of the grandstand to recover quicker! Of course it never occurred to me to hydrate or anything like that.

SlimPickens
10-02-2018, 08:03 AM
Rough conditions with the short turn around and back to back weeks of interstate travel.

Bulldog4life
10-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Rough conditions with the short turn around and back to back weeks of interstate travel.

We also play GWS away too. A tough draw.

Bulldog4life
10-02-2018, 11:20 AM
AFLW Round 2: Four Things To Watch

Hot in the city

The weather forecast for this Sunday in Brisbane has been shifting back and forth all week, but it does look destined to settle somewhere in the mid to high 30s, starting a conversation around how best to look after athletes in extreme conditions. It’s not an unfamiliar conversation to be having this time of the year, but usually it’s around tennis not football.

But here we are. If you play footy in February, and in Queensland, it’s going to happen and the AFL will consider implementing a heat policy.

So what to expect? Possibly longer breaks, and potentially even more players on the interchange. Whatever it is, we’ll know more the closer the game gets,

Shop early, avoid the rush

There was a lot to like about the opening round win over the Dockers, but everyone at the kennel remembers what happened this time last year – an exciting first up win before things went south the next week, and really for the rest of the season. The Dogs would get close at times, but history only records one more win for the rest of the inaugural AFLW season.

With a short season comes pressure to pick up early wins before you get locked out of the grand final race early, and you can be sure Paul Groves and his team will be doing everything possible to bring back the points to Melbourne on Sunday night

With the reigning premiers waiting at Norwood Oval next Saturday, we’ll learn a lot over the next fortnight.

But…

Last weekend was a great team win, with established players and new faces all cracking in and impacting the result, so it’s not necessarily a like for like comparison from this year to last.

The Dogs also have Katie Brennan, whose work in front of goal last weekend was weapons-grade material. Dogs president Peter Gordon told the ABC’s Jon Faine on Friday morning that Brennan was one of the best players he’d ever seen, female or male.

High praise indeed, but you probably have to watch her live to appreciate how her presence alone shifts the game. There’s the talent, and then there’s the almost visible chip on the shoulder.

After missing most of last season, Brennan looks determined to pay her teammates back for her absence which is bad, bad news for the rest of the competition.

The others

The Lions opened their season in fine fashion last weekend, disposing of last year’s premiers, the Adelaide Crows in a grand final rematch that they looked to have circled on their calendar the minute the 2018 fixture dropped.

After the Crows got the early jump Brisbane aggressively switched gears, held Adelaide scoreless and dominated all the stats categories that matter, including the scoreboard, to eventually take home an impressive 12-point win.

One player that no doubt came up in Paul Groves’ edits would have been the 182cm Sabrina Frederick-Traub who looked to have enjoyed the extra space to roam following the departure of Tayla Harris and Tahlia Randall’s shift into the ruck.

Frederick-Traub took Round 1 by the throat and is the very definition of one to watch, for both coaches and fans.

Is it Sunday yet?

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-02-09/aflw-round-2-four-things-to-watch

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Hot conditions have not helped the standard of this game. The first quarter was very error prone with minimal scoring. Hopefully the game will open up now

HOSE B ROMERO
11-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Izzy huntington on fire!

HOSE B ROMERO
11-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Has izzy just done her knee again?

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 05:08 PM
A couple of goals to Izzy Huntington after strong marks has now been marred by an knee injury. Hoping for the best for this young lady

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Has izzy just done her knee again?

It looks like it. Lets hope for the best.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Hannah scott great snap. dogs lead 20 to 1. 34 degreees.

SlimPickens
11-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Going at about 2 knees (ACL) a weekend at the moment. Going to be glaring shortly. AFL need to look at reasons.

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Going at about 2 knees (ACL) a weekend at the moment. Going to be glaring shortly. AFL need to look at reasons.

Any idea why this might be happening?

comrade
11-02-2018, 05:25 PM

I doubt there is much the AFL can do about it.

It is common knowledge across all sports that women are more susceptible to ACL and other ligament/tendon issues (some say 4-6 times more than men). There are theories as to why including the simple fact that women and men have different physiology (such as females having increased flexibility due to more estrogen and realxin, leading to ligaments/tendons being put under more extreme strain and the fact they have a smaller intercondylar notch - the groove in the femur through which the ACL passes).

Here is a University of Colorado report which discuss it:

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/Orthopaedics/clinicalservices/sportsmed/Documents/WISH_SPORTSMED_Female%20Knee%20Injuries%20and%20ACL.pdf (http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/Orthopaedics/clinicalservices/sportsmed/Documents/WISH_SPORTSMED_Female%20Knee%20Injuries%20and%20ACL.pdf)

Anecdotally, just about every female netballer I know has either done a knee or an achilles at some point.

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 05:30 PM
The Lions have kicked just 3 points to half time. While I think we accept that AFLW won't always be high scoring encounters, this needs to improve.

Do they use a slightly smaller footy for the competition?

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Thanks Comrade, good article.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Yeah, slightly smaller i believe GVG.

I don't know why but the low scoring doesn't bother me. i know i'm probably in the minority. I just love the contest. As long as the dogs win 2 points to 1, i would be ok with it. ;)

comrade
11-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Thanks Comrade, good article.

Without delving into gender politics too much, this is the sort of thing that makes the decision to allow/disallow transgender females to play against biological females such a tricky one.

comrade
11-02-2018, 05:36 PM
The Lions have kicked just 3 points to half time. While I think we accept that AFLW won't always be high scoring encounters, this needs to improve.

The Blues won 3.12 vs GWS 1.3 the other night. Hard to make a case for neutrals to watch.

jazzadogs
11-02-2018, 05:38 PM

It will improve if it's given time. You can see in the 18 year olds that we've brought in (Huntington, Conti and Bannister) so far this season that the standard is going to keep improving as girls who have been through a professional pathway take over.

No disrespect to you G but continuing to meddle with the rules is going against the point of the competition.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Bonnie Toogood has been really good.

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 05:59 PM
It will improve if it's given time. You can see in the 18 year olds that we've brought in (Huntington, Conti and Bannister) so far this season that the standard is going to keep improving as girls who have been through a professional pathway take over.

No disrespect to you G but continuing to meddle with the rules is going against the point of the competition.

I'm not looking to change the rules, far from it, but I think the game will benefit if the skill level improves. Given the competition is so new I'm confident that in time it will improve.

I went last week and I'm watching it again today on the tele so it certainly has my interest.

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Cracking contest with just 2 minutes to go. Full credit to both teams, they've fought it out right to the end

SlimPickens
11-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Any idea why this might be happening?

They’ve sped up the game as much as possible. This would have an effect but as comrade also said women are more susceptible to the injury. I’d imagine in 2 or 3 years when the strength and conditioning of these players increase, you’d hopefully see a reduction.

GVGjr
11-02-2018, 06:22 PM
They’ve sped up the game as much as possible. This would have an effect but as comrade also said women are more susceptible to the injury. I’d imagine in 2 or 3 years when the strength and conditioning of these players increase, you’d hopefully see a reduction.

I heard last week that in the first round last season players averaged running 6km's in the course of the game but this year it was closer to 9km. They're making a lot of progress in that area. It's going to be interesting to see how this game develops.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Gutsy win by the girls. And to do it with a quiet game from Blackburn. Second on the ladder. Go Dogs!

josie
11-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Yay,you go girls! Izzy was superb until her injury. Fingers crossed it is good news. Brennan was so composed in a few key moments in last quarter-so lucky we have her. I thought perhaps the girl’s went into their shells around the ball just a tad after Izzy’s injury. Hope we have a plan b in the forward line if needs be. Their marking this year and pressure on oppo is outstanding.

always right
11-02-2018, 08:29 PM
The increase in kicking skills, the improved teamwork, the decision making, the game plan, the pressure on the opposition, the general lift in individual talent........really pleasing to watch. Last year we had about six individual stars and little else. Huntington doesn’t do her knee and we would premiership favourites.

LostDoggy
11-02-2018, 10:06 PM
I doubt there is much the AFL can do about it.

It is common knowledge across all sports that women are more susceptible to ACL and other ligament/tendon issues (some say 4-6 times more than men). There are theories as to why including the simple fact that women and men have different physiology (such as females having increased flexibility due to more estrogen and realxin, leading to ligaments/tendons being put under more extreme strain and the fact they have a smaller intercondylar notch - the groove in the femur through which the ACL passes).

Here is a University of Colorado report which discuss it:

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/Orthopaedics/clinicalservices/sportsmed/Documents/WISH_SPORTSMED_Female%20Knee%20Injuries%20and%20ACL.pdf (http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/Orthopaedics/clinicalservices/sportsmed/Documents/WISH_SPORTSMED_Female%20Knee%20Injuries%20and%20ACL.pdf)

Anecdotally, just about every female netballer I know has either done a knee or an achilles at some point.

Thanks. I never knew that and quite interesting.

bornadog
11-02-2018, 11:09 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS0.1 4.2 4.2 5.3 (33)BRISBANE LIONS 0.2 0.3 1.4 3.6 (24)

GOALS -
Western Bulldogs: I Huntington 2, A Utri, H Scott, J Bruton.

BEST

Western Bulldogs: Lamb, Kearney, Bruton, Blackburn.

CROWD: About 5300 at South Pine Sports Complex.

Twodogs
11-02-2018, 11:15 PM
Yeah, slightly smaller i believe GVG.

I don't know why but the low scoring doesn't bother me. i know i'm probably in the minority. I just love the contest. As long as the dogs win 2 points to 1, i would be ok with it. ;)

Me too, I love the way the girls contest the footy. They really go hard at the contest. There were a few incidents last season that I was surprised didn't go to the MRP.

Without delving into gender politics too much, this is the sort of thing that makes the decision to allow/disallow transgender females to play against biological females such a tricky one.

It's a good point.

Bonnie Toogood has been really good.

Just Too good...

Actually "just" would be a great nickname with a surname like Toogood.

Axe Man
12-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Further to Comrade's post:

Women 'five times more likely' to rupture ACLs (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-12/women-five-times-more-likely-to-rupture-acls)

AFLW players are about five times more likely to rupture an anterior cruciate ligament than their male counterparts, leading sports medico Peter Brukner says.

The opening two weeks of the NAB AFLW season have been blighted by a spate of season-ending knee injuries.

Western Bulldog Daria Bannister ruptured an ACL in round one and Carlton captain Brianna Davey suffered the same injury last Friday night against Greater Western Sydney.

Bulldogs youngster Isabel Huntington also suffered a serious knee injury in Sunday's win over Brisbane, with scans expected to confirm she too has ruptured an ACL.

Brukner told RSN radio on Monday morning this run of knee injuries could largely be explained by the fact women are significantly more vulnerable to ACL ruptures than men.

"(Women) are something like five times more likely to tear their (anterior) cruciate than their male counterparts with equivalent activity," Brukner said.

"There are number of reasons for it. The main reason is just mechanics, in that females have a wide pelvis and therefore are more bow-legged.

"There's more of an inclination for their knees to fall in when they twist, so that makes them more susceptible to doing an anterior cruciate.

"That's pretty well recognised the world over. There's a lot of research that's come out of female handball players in Scandinavian countries and female soccer players in the US."

Brukner said women's sporting teams now put a lot of emphasis on teaching landing techniques that could help prevent ACL injuries, with players instructed to land with their knees flexed rather than locked.

SonofScray
13-02-2018, 08:58 AM
We're a good short kicking side. Keep the ball wide and go via the cape, a la Malthouse style footy.