PDA

View Full Version : Rate a team in 2008: Essendon

Dry Rot
24-01-2008, 12:38 AM
It's a mystery to me how Dons fans can talk up the chances of their team in 2008.

Sure, I didn't see much of them in 2007 but my impression was that they had 2 very good -> outstanding talls in Lucas + Lloyd, two fading ones in Michael and Fletcher, an ordinary ruck in Hille and a bunch of "Aldi" no-name midfielders. And now no Sheedy or Hird.

Others here will know them better (and discuss them better) but they look pretty ordinary to me.

Finish:11 - 14.

And if I'm right, what a pity. :)

hujsh
24-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Instesting piece of info. Can't remember where i heard this but i think the M.Michael got something like 9.6 in the beep test. Would be the AFL low as i've seen plenty of kids in year 9 beat that.

Maybe I'm wrong because i hear it at the start of 07.

Bulldog Revolution
24-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Hard to know with Essendon - Matty Knights has really impressed me with the way he has gone about it so far, and I think they will get a bit of improvement out of some midfield/smaller prospects already on the list, Stanton, Watson, Dyson, Winderlich, Davey, Lovett and Lovett-Murray

And they do have two great key forwards - but perhaps Lloyd is fading but then he may bounce back and enjoy a better 2008 and Lucas has just kept improving SO they are definitely dangerous.

They definitely have some players of intriguing talent and have added a lot of tall draft picks over the past two years but I wouldn't be expecting too much. They do struggle to have enough quality in the midfield and its hard to fine a real A grader amongst their mix.

hujsh
24-01-2008, 03:11 AM
Am i the only one who rates Lucas higher than Lloyd? I legitimately believe that Lloyd is easier to shut down than Lucas as seen by several smaller players (i suppose Morris would be included in this) being given the job because he beats of the taller players.

Bulldog Revolution
24-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Am i the only one who rates Lucas higher than Lloyd? I legitimately believe that Lloyd is easier to shut down than Lucas as seen by several smaller players (i suppose Morris would be included in this) being given the job because he beats of the taller players.

That may have been the case last year hujsh but Lloyd has historically destroyed us and many others, and probably kicked 400 more goals in his career than Lucas.

Lloyd did not have a great 2008 but its yet to be seen if it was the beginning of the end, or just a hangover from the hamstring surgery

Sockeye Salmon
24-01-2008, 02:11 PM
If everything goes right they might finish as high as 14th.

always right
24-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I think Essendon are the sleeper. The key is how quickly their young blokes come on because that is where they hope to inject their pace from. They've offloaded Bradley and Bolton who have been excess baggage in recent years. Fletcher is still playing good footy and Michael can fill a need. Ryder will be a star.

Their midfield is their weakness and to a lesser extent their ruck. Laycock showed signs last year and if he continues to improve he releases Hille to play up forward or off the bench. Winderlich adds pace and has improved. If Lovatt gets his act together he is dangerous and along with Jetta, Houli, Davey and Dempsey, Essendon could add a lot more speed if two or three of them became regular senior players.

They've drafted some serious talent in the last couple of years. The question is how quickly they develop while they still have Loyd, Lucas, and Fletcher playing good footy. Not dissimilar to our predicament with Grant, Smith, West and Darcy retiring or being closer to the end than the finish. It's why Geelong look so bloody good. Who are they going to lose over the next few years?

aker39
24-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Here's hoping

LostDoggy
24-01-2008, 08:40 PM

They are a hard team to pick in my opinion. They could finish last or somewhere near the 8.

I like their forward line but have question marks with their midfield. What they get out of the likes of McPhee and Ryder will determine if they can put up a show this year. Knights interests me. He has talked well but can he actually deliver?

mjp
25-01-2008, 07:28 PM
All I know is that they have Ryder and Gumbleton and I remain convinced that they are going to be very good senior players.

This year? No idea. If Lloyd can return to 80 goal form with Lucas chipping in another 50, they are going to score. Have they fixed the issues in the midfield though? Still lack class through there for mine...

Mind you, for anyone who reads the 'Sports Guy' on ESPN, the Hird retirement has a lot of 'Ewing Theory' potential.