PDA

View Full Version : Boyd deal lets important Bulldogs off the leash

Bulldog4life
01-03-2018, 11:49 AM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/boyd-deal-lets-important-bulldogs-off-the-leash-20180228-p4z26p.html

Front-loading player contracts to fit in highly priced recruit Tom Boyd could leave important Western Bulldogs premiership players as unrestricted free agents at the end of this year.
Midfield stars Tom Liberatore and Luke Dahlhaus are out of contract at the end of the season and are both free agents.

It is as yet uncertain whether they are restricted or unrestricted free agents as it is unknown whether they are in the top 25 per cent of money earners at the Bulldogs for the 2018 season.
Both players were among those who changed their contracts to help the club manage its salary cap to be able to recruit the former No. 1 pick from Greater Western Sydney on a significant deal.
When Boyd arrived at the club he was still on a lower, AFL-prescribed salary for second-year players in what was his first year at the Bulldogs, but then jumped into seven figures in subsequent years.
The players were among Dogs players who agreed to front-end their contracts – taking significantly more in the first year of their deals – when Boyd's money was low, and then their contracts would be comparatively lower in this, the final year of their contract.
Under AFL rules a player coming out of contract after eight seasons with a club is a free agent. If he is in the top 25 per cent of money-earners in the final year, he is a restricted free agent, but otherwise unrestricted.

Clubs have a right to match contract offers for their restricted free agents and if they do, then clubs have to trade for the free agent like any other out-of-contract player. Unrestricted free agents can walk to a club of their choosing without negotiating with their existing club.
The ruling on their status could prove to be moot as both Liberatore and Dahlhaus are expected to remain at the Bulldogs but their free-agency status significantly alters their leverage and so changes the tone of negotiations.

Clubs are more inclined to negotiate for an unrestricted free agent they believe they can secure for no draft compensation, as opposed to a player they need to trade for.
Melbourne was in a similar situation to the Bulldogs when full-back James Frawley left for Hawthorn as a free agent. Frawley had been outside the top 25 per cent of money-earners in the final year of his contract and so was unrestricted.
The mechanism to decide on the top 25 per cent – the highest-paid nine or 10 players – on a list is worked out on what a player is paid in the last year of his contract and is not averaged out over the life of the deal.

The Bulldogs are believed to have a relatively even payment structure after big earners Boyd and Marcus Bontempelli. Jackson Trengove came to the club on more than half a million dollars a year and both Easton Wood and Jason Johannisen signed significant deals, but there are a large number of players in the next bracket of earners.
The AFL is expected to release its list of restricted and unrestricted free agents in coming weeks.

Greystache
01-03-2018, 12:53 PM
So in short, we have no idea but we'll write an article anyway. The media continue to scrape rock bottom harder by the month.

Axe Man
01-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Restricted, unrestricted - does it really matter? I don't think there has been a single case a club matching a restricted agent offer from another club. They either re-sign or they take a free agency offer and leave, it's that simple.

Twodogs
01-03-2018, 01:30 PM
So a media organisation has paid someone actual money to write that?

It's at times like these I almost become an economic rationalist.

Rocket Science
01-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Tom Boyd headlines are now the cheap hit of smack a feckless footy meeja can't resist.

Just one more, c'mon, just one more.

bulldogtragic
01-03-2018, 02:00 PM
I'm suing for this theft of two minutes of my life.

Twodogs
01-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Tom Boyd headlines are now the cheap hit of smack a feckless footy meeja can't resist.

Just one more, c'mon, just one more.

One Tom Boyd story is too many and a thousand isn't enough.

ledge
01-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Funny thing is that could be written about all clubs.
Sydney and Adelaide would be bigger problem than us.

jazzadogs
01-03-2018, 04:27 PM
How about the stupidity of basing the decision only on the final year of the contract? So if we have loaded Boyds contract and he only gets $300,000 in his final year he would be unrestricted despite getting over a million per year on average?

Remi Moses
01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Gotta be honest, the only you believe in a paper is the date and the price .
Just total rubbish

Flamethrower
01-03-2018, 08:39 PM
How about the fact that Boyd's front ended contract is going to allow us to sign Marcus Bontempelli to a multi-million dollar contract before the end of next year......these media flogs never mention the positives.

bulldogtragic
01-03-2018, 10:02 PM
BS News Daily
1 March 2018

Tom Boyd contract may sink the Western Bulldogs!

In sensational news, well after helping the Dogs win the 2016 Premiership, it has emerged that the Tom Boyd contract 'may' sink the Western Bulldogs. An anonymous source deep inside the kennel has told the BS News Daily that the club didn't factor in the cost of printer toner and printing paper into the overall cost. It's understood that the massive, mega Tom Boyd contract is well over 20 pages in length, and had to be printed in triplicate on at least two different occasions, according to our anonymous source. The sting facing the club was that the huge, massive, mega, huge Tom Boyd contract was printed in colour and not grey scale!

We understand from industry experts that the prices of HP Ink Cartridges went up in 2013, as well as Reflex paper going up too. There is no mention of this sickening blow to the club in successive AGM reports. It may be that the debt the club holds is due solely to this. We reached out to the Western Bulldogs for comment but were advised no comment was being made. Accordingly, we reached out to Damian Barrett who was able to shed light on this bombshell news. Apparently it was Luke Beveridge's fault despite not being at the club at the time. Bulldogs Brownlow medalist Adam Cooney confirmed the club's mismanagement citing the reason for leaving in 2014 was to help reduce printer toner and printing paper expenses.

Will the Western Bulldogs be viable as an ongoing entity in light of this massive, mega, huge, irresponsible Tom Boyd contract? We don't know, but we believe the sky is in fact falling in because of Tom Boyd and his massive, mega, huge, irresponsible, enormous contract. So watch this space.

GVGjr
01-03-2018, 11:22 PM
The reason why both Dahlhaus and Liberatore are in contract years is because they were both distracted and played below their level last year. They really didn't deserve to be offered long term deals. Now they've both come back with a vastly improved focus this year it's up to Sam Power to get their deals done. Even if both depart it's got nothing to do with Boyds contract.

westdog54
02-03-2018, 12:37 AM
We've got one bloke who is the son of a club legend and has primed himself for a massive season.

We've got another who was holding back tears while he held a premiership cup and talked about doing anything for the club who took a chance on him.

The two are coincidentally best mates.

They ain't goin no-where.

Sedat
02-03-2018, 10:56 AM
I love how the media shows contrived concern for mental illness but then twist the knife at every possible opportunity when it comes to Tom Boyd. How many farking articles on Tom Boyd's contract will he and we have to endure? I'd have thought his GF performance in 2016 would have silenced the media once and for all but I gave these pieces of shit far too much credit.

Twodogs
02-03-2018, 11:26 AM
I love how the media shows contrived concern for mental illness but then twist the knife at every possible opportunity when it comes to Tom Boyd. How many farking articles on Tom Boyd's contract will he and we have to endure? I'd have thought his GF performance in 2016 would have silenced the media once and for all but I gave these pieces of shit far too much credit.

Hopefully the difference is now Tom knows he can perform at his 2016 finals series level and all of those commentating on him can't.

jeemak
02-03-2018, 12:37 PM

It's simple, without him we don't win the preliminary final, and it's unlikely we'd have won the grand final. That should be the story every time his contract is mentioned.

Twodogs
02-03-2018, 03:06 PM
It's simple, without him we don't win the preliminary final, and it's unlikely we'd have won the grand final. That should be the story every time his contract is mentioned.

My take exactly. He played a major part in winning us a premiership. And you can count the players who've done that on one hand. John Kerr, Charlie Sutton, Jack Collins, Jason Johanniesen, Liam Picken and Tom Boyd. (OK two hands, just.)

Ozza
02-03-2018, 05:22 PM
My take exactly. He played a major part in winning us a premiership. And you can count the players who've done that on one hand. John Kerr, Charlie Sutton, Jack Collins, Jason Johanniesen, Liam Picken and Tom Boyd. (OK two hands, just.)

Seeing as you're onto 2 hands, I think Dale Morris, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli and Ted Whitten hop onto the list!

mjp
02-03-2018, 05:39 PM
I think the 25% rule is an unexpected kicker (from the AFLPA perspective) of the Free Agency rules. The players want FA to be unrestricted - they ALSO want front loaded rather than back-loaded contracts...but the two things are compromising one another.

The reason for the rule was so that players who are not being rewarded (whatever that means) can access UFA rather than RFA and potentially get the deal they 'deserve'...front loading contracts for some players compromises this as they then take up a higher than normal % of the cap.

It isn't a non-story - but the Boyd angle is only being used because it seems the public at large want him to fail (and the media are well tapped into that). If he had followed his (what should have been) Norm Smith winning GF performance with a strong 2017 all of this talk would be dead by now...he didn't, so is fair game all over again.

Tom just has to play better.

LostDoggy
02-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Disregard the fact that we don't have stringer to worry about so the money that would have been put to the side for him will allow us to keep someone that may have gotten away. Slow news day. R contracts will take care of themselves in due course.

ledge
04-03-2018, 11:39 AM
How came they don't bring up Buddy being on a massive contract for 10 years and that hasn't bought a premiership !
A 1 million a year player isn't big anymore , How many million a year players would Geelong have now and that's not mentioned.
From what I have read Boyds contract is getting lower every year , doesn't that negate his contract being any influence on any other player?
Stringer a great example of saving money, we would have thought he would be on a huge contract by now if he was doing the right thing and the club would have prepared for it , but him leaving left us with cash we didn't think we would have.