34. Bailey Williams
35. Caleb Daniel
39. Jason Johannisen
42. Liam Picken
44. Tim English
46. Lin Jong

Ozza
01-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Interesting to note Tom Boyd, Clay Smith, Wallis, Redpath and Dickson all not picked. Possibly other reasons at play for them not being picked.

Axe Man
01-03-2018, 05:27 PM
Not playing list:
2. Young
3. Wallis
14. C Smith
15. Campbell
17. Boyd
18. Roberts
20. Richards
26. Gowers
27. Lipinski
28. Porter
29. Dickson
30. Greene
32. Collins
36. Lynch
37. R Smith
38. Morris
40. NMM
43. Redpath

lemmon
01-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Interesting to note Tom Boyd, Clay Smith, Wallis, Redpath and Dickson all not picked. Possibly other reasons at play for them not being picked.

I reckon they'll all get a run in game two. It's a strong side, but I'm sure they wanna get a look at a few of the young boys too.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Anyone suspect we’re hiding a few injuries, or just sharing the exposure? All the talk had been around taking this seriously as a round 1 audition, so surprised to see the squad, and even more surprised with how they’ve named players on the field - ie. JJ half back, Trengove forward?

Mantis
01-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Anyone suspect we’re hiding a few injuries, or just sharing the exposure? All the talk had been around taking this seriously as a round 1 audition, so surprised to see the squad, and even more surprised with how they’ve named players on the field - ie. JJ half back, Trengove forward?

Which selections surprise you the most?

Templeton31
02-03-2018, 03:35 PM

I think leaving Boyd and Campbell out can be explained maybe by who rucks in 2nd JLT. Roughead and Trengrove (?) ruck in 1st JLT then rested and Boyd / Campbell in 2nd JLT.

jeemak
02-03-2018, 03:58 PM

What do you mean?

Injury or disciplinary?

mjp
02-03-2018, 05:41 PM
What's up with Smith?

Surely this is make or break for him after 2017...there will always be the 2016 PF to remember but very surprised he wasn't named.

Go_Dogs
02-03-2018, 06:40 PM

Wallis
Boyd
Dickson
Smith
Young
Redpath

Probably in that order.

Thought Boyd > English/Trengove as a forward
For balance I can somewhat understand Wally, but thought he'd be ahead of Webb, HC
Dickson has been a lock whenever fit, suspect he's injured and it's not reported
Smith, again maybe managed as thought he'd play
Young was a starter at the back end of the year and would appear to fit in with the mantra of both best available side and playing youth if we're hedging our bets like I think we are. Maybe Naughton has jumped ahead already, but would be surprised
Redpath > Trengove as a forward too

It is what it is, but I'm curious about how reliable the "health" of our list is and also that we appear to say one thing but do another at the selection table - maybe all the guys I thought should play have been overtaken during the summer.

Also, perhaps we play Adams forward, Trengove, Cordy and Naughton back - that makes a little more sense but not how the side was named - guess we know more tomorrow.

Rocket Science
02-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Reading between the lines, most of the 'curious' omissions are known quantities so if we're going to offer the likes of Honeychurch, Webb & English an opportunity to show they can shape our best side, now's probably the time.

If they can't we revert to plan A. Still a very strong squad.

chef
03-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Cordy at fault for both goals. Needs to be stronger in the contest than that.

Rocket Science
03-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Macrae in everything as usual, and getting amongst the goals.

This I like.

chef
03-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Good start to the preseason. We look hungry again.

G-Mo77
03-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Midfield looking really nice in there. I like Trengove in there, in the forward half he offers very little. Wood non existent in an out of position role up forward while down back we're pretty shaky. Pressure is good for a first hit out but nothing to write home about from either team.

kruder
03-03-2018, 03:41 PM
What a quarter from Macrae was in everything, clean and hit the scoreboard. It would be nice to see one of our young tall forwards in attack rather than Trengove. Crozier looking like he could be a nice addition to half back.

GVGjr
03-03-2018, 03:42 PM
Vastly different conditions to when I last visited Ballarat to watch us play.

Accurate goal kicking as really helped us. Great to see Honeychurch convert a set shot and he's been a good contributor

Dunkley can find a home for us up forward, smart play so far.
Macrae and Bontempelli going well

As Chef said Cordy has made a couple of errors that cost us. Skills not great.

Crosier has been OK.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Wood and JJ should be in the back half.

chef
03-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Wheres Schache?

Rocket Science
03-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Jeez, pity Bont's such an elite mid because in another life he's got a Coleman or two in him.

If Barbara Streisand can clone her mutt why can't we clone the Bont?

Rocket Science
03-03-2018, 04:05 PM
And that's why you'll struggle to cement a spot again Mitch.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Wheres Schache?

On the bench. Not sure why

Eastdog
03-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the updates. I'm out at the moment so will probably see some highlights of the game tonight.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Lin Jong same old tricks with putting players under pressure with his handballs.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-03-2018, 04:09 PM
GVGjr said it at draft time, that Naughton would win over those who weren't thrilled with him being our first selection.
You were right Gary. He's a smart, courageous competitive beast.

G-Mo77
03-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Some serious overuse of the pill. Jong hospital handpassed about 3 times already. Back half we're getting beat, they'll score on most entries. Our forward line looked ok, would have been nice if Bont and Trengove converted as they were really nice passages of play. Pressure is still high and we look sharp in contest. Again nothing to get terribly excited about. Both teams look a tad off.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Observations to date

* Hunter unsighted

* Roughead still number one ruck

* Wood move not working

* missing JJ running off the backline

* Adams for me still a worry - very nervous when he has the ball and too short for the gorillas of the game

* Trengove should be full back - don't like him in the ruck

* Macrae, Bont, Libba, Mclean will be a good midfield combo

* Naughton looking good, lots of confidence for an 18 year old.

* Still just banging the ball into Fwd50

GVGjr
03-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Very different 2nd quarter,

Naughton impressed with and without the ball. He's a real chance for round one.
Liberatore lifted, Crozier and Williams did some nice things.

Wood was ice cold, JJ and Dahlhaus not much better. Jong needs another run.

comrade
03-03-2018, 04:13 PM
The Easton Wood as a forward experiment should be over now. Put him back.

Why can’t Honey just finish off simple goals. Coach killer.

G-Mo77
03-03-2018, 04:15 PM
I don't think Hunter has even been on the ground bornadog. Doing a bit of kicking before they ran in at half time.

GVGjr
03-03-2018, 04:17 PM
I don't think Hunter has even been on the ground bornadog. Doing a bit of kicking before they ran in at half time.

I think his 'time on ground' is very low.

G-Mo77
03-03-2018, 04:19 PM
I think his 'time on ground' is very low.

Did he sit the entire 2nd term. I'm pretty sure Picken sat the entire 1st.

Eastdog
03-03-2018, 04:21 PM

Sounds like we are just being cautious with our players.

kruder
03-03-2018, 04:22 PM
I have feeling Schache will come on for Trengove in the second half. Would be a waist if we don't give him game time.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Ok, that explains it

G-Mo77
03-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Shache at FF

bornadog
03-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Wood two disposals.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Trengove impressive todate

G-Mo77
03-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Excellent 3rd term. Pressure went up a notch and plenty of outside run. Picken koed was a real downer. Hope he's ok.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Excellent 3rd term. Pressure went up a notch and plenty of outside run. Picken koed was a real downer. Hope he's ok.

Picken walking around should be ok

G-Mo77
03-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Bailey Williams gets a ton of praise in here. I just don't see why.

chef
03-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Williams has had a bit of a shit game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-03-2018, 05:17 PM
4 times this game Roughead has been one out against either Viggs or Crozier... Clearly other taller defenders are meant to come and support but are not getting there. Some work needed there.

Rocket Science
03-03-2018, 05:21 PM
Nice finish Dale. Extra points for Libba giving it to Sicily.

Eastdog
03-03-2018, 05:27 PM
Good start to 2018 with a 22 point win.

Looking forward to the match reports.

G-Mo77
03-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Out of gas in that last, most of the team sat in the back half and didn't have the legs to run forward quick enough. Good result overall, some negatives but 3rd quarter won me over.

GVGjr
03-03-2018, 05:31 PM
Enjoyable win, a bit to work on but some promising signs.

Twodogs
03-03-2018, 05:33 PM
That was fun.

I like that we looked to have shots on goal when we had the opportunity instead of kicking it sideways or looking for a cheapie out the back handball.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Honeychurch gets to the ball, but is just that bit off the pace to be best 22.

Overall pretty good win for a practise match. Nice to kick a few goals.

chef
03-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Nice first up run.

The 4 new boys all looked good(would have like Shaq to get a full game). Naughton to grab Morris's with 2 hands and make it his own.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Williams has had a bit of a shit game.

I thought he was one of our better players in the backline, although he made one bad error. 24 disposals at 79% efficiency

Biggs accumulated the most disposals and was very good.

G-Mo77
03-03-2018, 05:40 PM
Honeychurch gets to the ball, but is just that bit off the pace to be best 22.

Overall pretty good win for a practise match. Nice to kick a few goals.

He just wasn't clean enough. I honestly think he's pretty important in 2018. He tackles well and is reasonably quick, finds good space up forward and seems to get chances on front of goal. If he can clean up disposal I think he'll be a regular.

chef
03-03-2018, 05:41 PM
I thought he was one of our better players in the backline, although he made one bad error. 24 disposals at 79% efficiency

Biggs accumulated the most disposals and was very good.

He made 4 really bad errors and cost us 2 or 3 goals. He bites off more than he can chew few times, but also took a few good defensive marks.

But thats what Bevo wants i guess, take them on.

bornadog
03-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Trengove got better in the ruck as the game went on and Roughead ended up quiet in the 2nd half. Not sure he was actually on in the 3rd quarter.

We need more from our big guys.

divvydan
03-03-2018, 06:08 PM
We played 22 each quarter so there were 2 people sitting out each quarter, with Schache out the whole first half.

merantau
03-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the reports. It's good to start with a win - practice game or not - especially against Hawthorn. Hope we got through with no injuries. Seems some of our new blokes did ok.

Twodogs
03-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the reports. It's good to start with a win - practice game or not - especially against Hawthorn. Hope we got through with no injuries. Seems some of our new blokes did ok.

Picken was kayoed and carried off the ground looking pretty banged up but I saw him walking without any assistance (I'd still be unconscious.) along the boundary not long after.

Eastdog
03-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Picken was kayoed and carried off the ground looking pretty banged up but I saw him walking without any assistance (I'd still be unconscious.) along the boundary not long after.

Picko is a tough one!

Rocket Science
03-03-2018, 07:10 PM
No major revelations but the most pleasing takeaway was there's tons to like about Naughton.

ratsmac
03-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the match reports guys. I'm looking forward to watching the replay to see how all the new faces went, most of all Noughton. And also to get my Bont fix.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-03-2018, 09:59 PM
A great atmosphere today at Ballarat. Excellent facilities and ground surface. Plans are to increase the capacity to 25,000 in the next two years. Mark Patterson, former. CEO at the WB now plays a strategic role with the Ballarat City Council in charge of all sporting facilities. The Bulldogs struggled in the first half before taking control in the second half. Macrae and Bontempelli were very good again. Great to see Libba back and enjoying his football again. Dunkley after an indifferent 2017 looked good with 3 goals. Williams is set for a good year and Adams who missed most of last year with injury was another to impress. I liked Crozier's game in defence.
It was strange to see both Wood and JJ playing the game in attack. Both started to relish the move in the second half after a slow start. Trengrove gave a workman like performance and brings added strength and experience to our team. This was a good workout in
hot 30 degree temperatures.

kruder
03-03-2018, 10:01 PM
I'm not Dunkleys biggest fan but he was excellent today. Always seems to find space I'm not sure the opposition respect him too much but his positioning, marking and A grade forward pressure was a highlight. Played his way into the best 22 come round 1 if not there already.

I think most of us were keen for Lever but Naughton looks to have all the attributes to become one of the best defenders in the comp. He has the ability to intercept, defend one on one including second and third efforts and also has an attacking edge to his game. There was a piece of play in the last where he continued to run off half back and provide a running option and ended up past the wing(ran out of steam eventually) but it shows that he has the mindset for all phases of the game. I've watched him twice now and his kicking technique which was a big question mark prior to the draft looks at this early stage to hold up ok under the AFL heat. The signs are bright early.

I know most teams look fit this time of year but feel wise our players look as ripped and lean as I have seen them, lead by the Bont he looks set for a massive year great to see him up and going this early.

The other positive was that we kicked 15.10, off the back of last year its nice to kick more goals than points for once! Obviously has been a focus lets hope it can continue.

choconmientay
03-03-2018, 10:38 PM
Wood two disposals.
That was because he play as a forward for the whole match :) He kicked a goal in the 3rd quarter.

Twodogs
03-03-2018, 10:56 PM
I'm not Dunkleys biggest fan but he was excellent today. Always seems to find space I'm not sure the opposition respect him too much but his positioning, marking and A grade forward pressure was a highlight. Played his way into the best 22 come round 1 if not there already.

I think most of us were keen for Lever but Naughton looks to have all the attributes to become one of the best defenders in the comp. He has the ability to intercept, defend one on one including second and third efforts and also has an attacking edge to his game. There was a piece of play in the last where he continued to run off half back and provide a running option and ended up past the wing(ran out of steam eventually) but it shows that he has the mindset for all phases of the game. I've watched him twice now and his kicking technique which was a big question mark prior to the draft looks at this early stage to hold up ok under the AFL heat. The signs are bright early.

I know most teams look fit this time of year but feel wise our players look as ripped and lean as I have seen them, lead by the Bont he looks set for a massive year great to see him up and going this early.

The other positive was that we kicked 15.10, off the back of last year its nice to kick more goals than points for once! Obviously has been a focus lets hope it can continue.

I think Dunks has more footy smarts than most on our list. He just runs to the right spots to get the ball and uses it to advantage. He is pretty good without the ball too. You very rarely see him confused or standing around wondering when they have it he always has a man or he's chasing or harassing somebody.

I can see why people wonder why we took him so high or play him at all sometimes-I wondered myself wghen we drafted him when I watched his clips-but the first time I watched him play I was a huge fan.

Naughton's kicking has improved a lot since last season. I guess a preseason with an AFL club would help in that department.

Eastdog
04-03-2018, 12:19 AM
Just watched the replay. Good hit out today.

I liked how we experimented in the forward line a bit - a lot of contributors (Macrae, Schache, Trengove, Bontempelli, Dunkley, Wood, JJ although Wood and JJ way better suited to the defence. I thought Libba was good as well as Macrae, Bailey Williams got quite a bit of it. Naughton a big positive.

Hoping Naughton, Trengove, Adams are very solid down in defence this year.

Also great to us kicking accurately. Need to be more consistent in this area and if we are this year it will make a huge difference.

4. Bont
3. Macrae
2. Dunkley
1. Naughton

Special mentions: Libba, Bailey Williams, Trengove

GVGjr
04-03-2018, 12:34 AM
Strange forward set-up today but it seemed to catch the Hawks out a bit.

Dunkley was good and kicked 3 goals
Trengove rotated between forward and ruck duties
Moving Wood forward didn't quite work but I'd like to see us do the same in the next match.
Johannisen played across the 3 lines and was OK. Made a few skill errors
Macrae was terrific in the first half and I think he was a bit quieter in the 2nd half. Kicked two goals
Bontempelli cause a lot of match-up problems up forward but missed a few shots that he should make.

Biggs rebounded very well and got a lot of the ball
Williams did some great things but made a number of errors. He's worth sticking with
Adams made a big difference and was a solid performer
Crozier played in the back half and settled in nicely. Good athleticism
Naughton was terrific all match. You could almost lock him in for round one. Very competitive

Cordy was down today, not his normal performance.

choconmientay
04-03-2018, 02:36 AM
I made the trip today first time ever to Ballarat :) I liked the MARS stadium a lot :) Decent weather and the win made the trip worthwhile.

Took few pictures of the game to share with you guys. Full set here (https://www.flickr.com/gp/111272802@N04/2235P9)

Flying the flag:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4769/25718766147_c809048b26_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FbFp9x)JLT_WB_Hawk-166 (https://flic.kr/p/FbFp9x) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

WB:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4632/39695147015_01fc81f356_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23tJ1ft)JLT_WB_Hawk-144 (https://flic.kr/p/23tJ1ft) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Hawk:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4719/38779887720_0614e9f12f_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/225R4xN)JLT_WB_Hawk-143 (https://flic.kr/p/225R4xN) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

What can I say ...:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4749/40589911081_29c2a01bcf_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24QMUr8)JLT_WB_Hawk-142 (https://flic.kr/p/24QMUr8) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

We won the toss:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4744/26720908258_680e1fdb20_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GHeD5N)JLT_WB_Hawk-1 (https://flic.kr/p/GHeD5N) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

First Bounce:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4606/40549847372_567b7c1883_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24MfyTw)JLT_WB_Hawk-5 (https://flic.kr/p/24MfyTw) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

One on One (JJ on Jarman Impey)
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4670/26720699188_b536071740_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GHdyW9)JLT_WB_Hawk-16 (https://flic.kr/p/GHdyW9) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Wood as a forward:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4654/39881193144_e42bb7c270_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23Laxhm)JLT_WB_Hawk-39 (https://flic.kr/p/23Laxhm) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

choconmientay
04-03-2018, 02:37 AM
cont.

First Quarter Scoreboard:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4711/25720710547_98826d9d0a_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FbRn9F)JLT_WB_Hawk-85 (https://flic.kr/p/FbRn9F) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Jong on Titch:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4631/39695838445_04996ea4b9_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23tMxMF)JLT_WB_Hawk-112 (https://flic.kr/p/23tMxMF) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

The Specimen in action:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4700/38780066450_b2d9574bd6_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/225RYFm)JLT_WB_Hawk-134 (https://flic.kr/p/225RYFm) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Quarter 2 Scoreboard:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4777/38779914450_f931a4bb7c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/225RcuE)JLT_WB_Hawk-141 (https://flic.kr/p/225RcuE) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

We put the foot down in q3:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4793/40547494102_e7f37f36af_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24M3vkU)JLT_WB_Hawk-152 (https://flic.kr/p/24M3vkU) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Quarter 3 Scoreboard:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4774/26718139088_615d0e8ff7_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GGZrUu)JLT_WB_Hawk-153 (https://flic.kr/p/GGZrUu) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

We are ... on top:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4754/26718047058_90e52c0fb7_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GGYYxL)JLT_WB_Hawk-157 (https://flic.kr/p/GGYYxL) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Full Time:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4702/40547228772_84a3c0ca42_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24M29tf)JLT_WB_Hawk-165 (https://flic.kr/p/24M29tf) by ChoCon MienTay (https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Enjoy guys.

ratsmac
04-03-2018, 03:11 AM
Gee Caleb Daniels looks a bit rotund in that team photo. Hopefully it's just the hoops making him look fat, or that it's 2:10am and I'm overtired.

jeemak
04-03-2018, 04:20 AM
I'm calling out Dunkley as a freak. There isn't anyone in the comp at his age who is Johnny on the Spot like he is. His skills are better than they look too.

jeemak
04-03-2018, 04:22 AM
I've watched the game a couple of times.

Pretty excited about how the fifth youngest side in the comp is looking.

merantau
04-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Thanks for posting photos Choc. Really good to see. Players looking very fit and ready Ground looks to be in great confition too.

Ozza
04-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Pretty good first hit out. From the sounds of Gia's presser. We were playing sections of the game as a '22' with the remaining members of the squad sitting out for designated periods (ie. Schache for the whole first half).

Our best players (Bont/Macrae/Libba/JJ) all looked good.
I remain convinced that we are a better side with Dunkley fit and in the side. He's just terrific in the contest, and reads the game so well.

Hotdog60
04-03-2018, 10:20 AM
I have to admit I'm a Dunkley fan. Early stages but we look in good nick.
I would like to see Adams have a full run this season and Williams looks to read the play well I just think he's a bit slow out of the blocks we his decision making.

Twodogs
04-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Did O' Meara play for Hawthorn?

The Adelaide Connection
04-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Lots to like, but I was most impressed by our ability to kick a score despite the heavy tinkering and rotation of players through the forwardline.

I was disappointed that we didn’t get a look at a few more recruits (or even any of the class of ‘16) and that they didn’t get a run in the Friday night Footscray fixture. I guess the shortening of JLT to two fixtures has a lot to do with that, but hopefully we get a look at a few more next week.

GVGjr
04-03-2018, 10:33 AM

Yes, he did OK.

choconmientay
04-03-2018, 11:05 AM

Yes he did. He could be seen in the team photo in the middle. Don't think he got much impact as I didn't notice him much.

ledge
04-03-2018, 11:17 AM
He got 16 possessions 8 kicks 8 handballs, 4 tackles ,wouldn't be putting in 100% with his injury record so I would say that's a very good game from him.
He is a superstar no doubt.

ledge
04-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Must say I thought Richo had come out of retirement, looking at Isaac Smith, spitting image !

GVGjr
04-03-2018, 11:20 AM
It was a very interesting forward set-up today, perhaps a variation of the success we had 2016 where we basically out rotated opposition teams in the midfield. This was more about constantly changing things up in our forward line and it seemed to have worked.
The standard of the game wasn't about intensity though so there might be a question mark on if it will hold up against other teams

We started Trengove as the lone tall forward and it seems to be the plan to play him as tall forward rotating in the ruck.
I think we need to play another genuine tall up forward though
Wood across half forward was another left of field trial. It didn't quite work today but we should probably stick with it.
We also had Macrae, Bontempelli, Dale and Honeychurch rotating through early in the game.

Dunkley was very good and the Hawks struggled to hold him.

In the back line I really enjoyed the effort from Naughton. Crozier was desperate and athletic and Adams was solid.

Back to the forward line, does anyone think are we going to try an extend teams with a few 190cm type players that compete well on the ground?

ledge
04-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Does anyone think Sicily should have got reported for the stomach punch to Dale ?
I thought I heard the AFL was clamping down on cheap shots especially punches.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-03-2018, 01:29 PM
It was a very interesting forward set-up today, perhaps a variation of the success we had 2016 where we basically out rotated opposition teams in the midfield. This was more about constantly changing things up in our forward line and it seemed to have worked.
The standard of the game wasn't about intensity though so there might be a question mark on if it will hold up against other teams

We started Trengove as the lone tall forward and it seems to be the plan to play him as tall forward rotating in the ruck.
Wood across half forward was another left of field trial. It didn't quite work today but we should probably stick with it.
We also had Macrae, Bontempelli, Dale and Honeychurch rotating through early in the game.

In the back line I really enjoyed the effort from Naughton. Crozier was desperate and athletic and Adams was solid.

Back to the forward line, does anyone think are we going to try an extend teams with a few 190cm type players that compete well on the ground?

Bevo is obviously looking for more flexibility in our structure by being willing to move players between back and forward. Our defence struggled in the first half without the likes of Murphy Morris Wood and JJ and it was left to the likes of Williams and Biggs to hold it together. Crozier did very well and should become a regular. There is still a lack of a genuine key forward with Redpath Schache T Boyd Adams and Trengrove all expected to take turns. It was good to see Dunkley Liberatore and Dahlhaus break the shackles after an indifferent 2017. Libba and Dauhl are vital in giving support to the Bont and Macrae in the midfield. Roughead was good in the ruck and he was another that missed games last year. The Club would seem to have more depth this year with the likes of Naughton Crozier Trengrove and Schache being good additions.

hujsh
04-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Yeah Crozier looked good defensively and since his selling point is is disposal and rebound that's a great sign. Should get plenty of games this year.

Flamethrower
04-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Does anyone think Sicily should have got reported for the stomach punch to Dale ?
I thought I heard the AFL was clamping down on cheap shots especially punches.

I'd be more concerned about whomever put Tom Mitchell down behind play late in the last quarter. It wasn't captured in the live footage, but I am sure the behind the goals vision (if any) will show why other Hawthorn players remonstrated with the culprit.

GVGjr
04-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Bevo is obviously looking for more flexibility in our structure by being willing to move players between back and forward. Our defence struggled in the first half without the likes of Murphy Morris Wood and JJ and it was left to the likes of Williams and Biggs to hold it together. Crozier did very well and should become a regular. There is still a lack of a genuine key forward with Redpath Schache T Boyd Adams and Trengrove all expected to take turns. It was good to see Dunkley Liberatore and Dahlhaus break the shackles after an indifferent 2017. Libba and Dauhl are vital in giving support to the Bont and Macrae in the midfield. Roughead was good in the ruck and he was another that missed games last year. The Club would seem to have more depth this year with the likes of Naughton Crozier Trengrove and Schache being good additions.

I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed in the performance of Dahlhaus and I didn't think Roughead was all that good either even with his limited time. I've just looked at his stats and he had just 4 disposals, 2 marks and 5 hit outs although this was topped off by 5 tackles. I'm fairly certain he will be our first option in the ruck

We need Roughy, Dahl and Liberatore firing this year.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Schache yesterday but I believe

Twodogs
04-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Yes, he did OK.

Cheers G.

Yes he did. He could be seen in the team photo in the middle. Don't think he got much impact as I didn't notice him much.

He got 16 possessions 8 kicks 8 handballs, 4 tackles ,wouldn't be putting in 100% with his injury record so I would say that's a very good game from him.
He is a superstar no doubt.

They have payed a huge price for him. Usually I'd go with the fortune favours the bold school and say good luck to them. But it's Hawthorn and they have plenty of luck.

I think you're right that's exactly what we did, we rotated the forward line the way we usually rotate midfielders trying to create mismatchesin attack.

Go_Dogs
04-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Interesting take on the forward method this year GVG.

I think to generate goals we need multiple players who can rotate forward, find the right match up and exploit it - so having depth, not letting defences settle and utilising our parts and pieces style attack is a good option for us. Im sure once Dickson etc come back we'll have a few more who play predominately forward, but again, maybe that's why we didn't see Red, Smith and Dicko yesterday.

Mobile 190cm players who can do it in the air and ground level are always important and great to see Dunkley do well playing this role yesterday. He was important as a kid in the 2016 finals (would've been in our best 10 throughout the campaign) and excited to see what he can deliver this year - could be our 30+ goal scorer.

Thanks to all for your reports and commentary - good reading through it all this morning.

bornadog
04-03-2018, 03:28 PM

It will be interesting to see how we set up next week against Collingwood. Boyd is sure to come and maybe even Repath. I agree Schache should have had more game time.

Yesterday both the Bont and Macrae spent time in the forward line which also stretched the Hawks.

From The Age

The move of Wood was the biggest surprise and he took until the 20-minute mark of the second quarter to touch the ball. But the 28-year-old gradually worked his way into the game, kicking a goal and showing his aerial skills at times in the final quarter.Assistant coach Daniel Giansiracusa, who made his living as a crafty forward, said they wanted to give Wood a chance in the role knowing they can always swing him back in games if needed.

"He's a pretty good swingman. We're going to give him a crack at it there," Giansiracusa said.
"[He is] a pretty powerful and quick player so he is going to put defences on edge as well. He is going to continue to learn and it will take time."

So looks like we will see if the Wood experiment works and if not back to the back line.

One thing I didn't like, especially in the first quarter was how easily the ball transitioned from our forward line to the back line. This has been a problem for a few years now, but is what happens when you play risky attacking footy.

Smads57
04-03-2018, 05:28 PM
I'd be more concerned about whomever put Tom Mitchell down behind play late in the last quarter. It wasn't captured in the live footage, but I am sure the behind the goals vision (if any) will show why other Hawthorn players remonstrated with the culprit.

I was at the game and the incident was in front of me with Macrae being the culprit - if you watch the replay you will see them pushing and shoving a few times during the game.

Eastdog
04-03-2018, 07:48 PM
We locked the ball in very well in that 3rd quarter in the forward half.

Remi Moses
04-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Pleasing start ( albeit a practice match) look to have got a bit of our intent back .
Lyon reckons we won’t make the eight ! I’ve just put the house on us making it

G-Mo77
04-03-2018, 08:21 PM

The ran into each other accidentally. Macrae even stopped to see if he was ok. He's a Bulldog so he'll probably go for it.

ratsmac
04-03-2018, 08:28 PM
I just finished watching the replay and there were some good signs.
I LOVED the look of Naughton. He looked like he belonged out there from the first bounce. Looks like we have another good one.
Trengove is going to be very handy by the look of it. His experience is much needed with our young list.
Marcus Adams is HUGE. Our back half looks better with him back there. He still has his trademark panic moments but also his trademark booming clearing kick.
Crazier seems to have slotted in nicely in defense also. To be able to release JJ further up the field is a massive win for us and maybe they can switch for a change up as well. Croziers foot skills look quite neat which is a much needed attribute to the team.
I would of liked Schache to get more of the ball but his mobility for a big boy looks really promising. Hopefully he can start clunking some long balls in the forward line before too long.

The first quarter was pretty much circle work which at least we kicked accurately. With Wood, JJ, Murphy (retired) and Moz (injured) all not in defense, the boys back there seemed to hold up pretty well in the end. You would think that Easton won't play forward too often so the defense should be in decent shape.
The forward set up was not what I expected with so many rotations through there but I liked it. It will keep opposition coaches guessing.
Overall it seemed to be a pretty good hitout without shooting the lights out. It has certainly given me some confidence that we might give the 8 a shake in 2018 after all.

always right
04-03-2018, 10:00 PM
A fit Adams will make Collin’s very nervous.
An in form Naughton will make Roberts nervous but give us confidence to play Wood elsewhere.
Wood playing forward definitely meant Sicily’s effectiveness was impacted. I expect Wood to be played there when the matchup suits us.....otherwise, back to his intercepting defender role.
Loved Dahlhaus’ forward role. Need him to hit the scoreboard but his defensive efforts were just what we missed last year. He simply doesn’t hurt teams playing midfield but defenders panic when he’s around.
Rotate JJ wherever we can exploit other teams.
Crozier was effective and I loved his desperate defensive efforts and ball use.
Roughead and Trengove looked to make a strong and effective ruck combination.
Bont and MaCrae are our strong bodied, hard working, classy ball users. Jack is seriously underrated and tough as nails....and two goals today was a good return. Bont needs to convert much better for someone of his skill......I’m never confident when he’s kicking for goal.

Overall I was happy.

craigsahibee
05-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Wallis
Boyd
Dickson
Smith
Young
Redpath

Probably in that order.

Thought Boyd > English/Trengove as a forward
For balance I can somewhat understand Wally, but thought he'd be ahead of Webb, HC
Dickson has been a lock whenever fit, suspect he's injured and it's not reported
Smith, again maybe managed as thought he'd play
Young was a starter at the back end of the year and would appear to fit in with the mantra of both best available side and playing youth if we're hedging our bets like I think we are. Maybe Naughton has jumped ahead already, but would be surprised
Redpath > Trengove as a forward too

It is what it is, but I'm curious about how reliable the "health" of our list is and also that we appear to say one thing but do another at the selection table - maybe all the guys I thought should play have been overtaken during the summer.

Also, perhaps we play Adams forward, Trengove, Cordy and Naughton back - that makes a little more sense but not how the side was named - guess we know more tomorrow.

Really don't think the Coaching Staff are too concerned about how "we" perceive their team selection based on who's available and who's "been training the house down". It's an ideal time to put all the plans they have been working on since October into a match play scenario and some may be required to show the coaches how they fit in. The others may have already shown how they fit into their plans.

craigsahibee
05-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Must say I thought Richo had come out of retirement, looking at Isaac Smith, spitting image !

Said the same thing to my partner yesterday. He is channelling his inner "Richo".

Twodogs
05-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Said the same thing to my partner yesterday. He is channelling his inner "Richo".

Geeeez an in his prime Matthew Richardson would fit nicely into our structure. Outside of a tendency to drop his head in frustration when things weren't going so well on the field he had it all.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-03-2018, 11:56 AM
I don't mind the rationale of playing Wood forward but I am not sure he has the natural flair/instincts to actually play as one, particularly when considering he can influence matches as a half back. This is still my preferred position for him but I'm open to seeing how the forward role goes.

Adams would have to be one of our most important players. The flow on effect of him playing (and playing well) is huge. Naughton was very impressive, looks a smart player and his positioning and reading of the play is excellent.

Dunkley looks set for a big year. If he was a good kick, he would be on track to becoming absolutely elite.

Pleasing first game up. Both Trengove and Crozier add quite a bit to the side and offer great flexibility. I thought Crozier's ability to compete in the air was impressive, whilst his ball use was great. Trengove looks fit and strong, his aggressive style suits us.

I would have preferred us to put a full game into Schache. Looked OK in the ruck and showed his running ability to get forward and kick that goal.

Twodogs
05-03-2018, 02:17 PM
I don't mind the rationale of playing Wood forward but I am not sure he has the natural flair/instincts to actually play as one, particularly when considering he can influence matches as a half back. This is still my preferred position for him but I'm open to seeing how the forward role goes.

Adams would have to be one of our most important players. The flow on effect of him playing (and playing well) is huge. Naughton was very impressive, looks a smart player and his positioning and reading of the play is excellent.

Dunkley looks set for a big year. If he was a good kick, he would be on track to becoming absolutely elite.

Pleasing first game up. Both Trengove and Crozier add quite a bit to the side and offer great flexibility. I thought Crozier's ability to compete in the air was impressive, whilst his ball use was great. Trengove looks fit and strong, his aggressive style suits us.

I would have preferred us to put a full game into Schache. Looked OK in the ruck and showed his running ability to get forward and kick that goal.

We have been screaming (well I have anyway) out for a player with his aggression and leadership on the ground for years. His style is going to complement some of the more skilled players in our team. I'm hoping that Trengrove can occupy a lot if the opposition's time and effort by being a big lunk that gets in the way a lot ( he's a better player than that but I suspect that will be his role) and can take a saving mark in defence or go forward and clunk some marks.

I'm thinking we are going to enjoy having Jackson in the team. For lots of reasons.

craigsahibee
05-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Geeeez an in his prime Matthew Richardson would fit nicely into our structure. Outside of a tendency to drop his head in frustration when things weren't going so well on the field he had it all.

I reckon there was a time that Richo was linked to us in a trade. But hey, at that time anyone over 6ft that had kicked just one goal in their career (including Under 9's and Auskick) was linked to the Dogs.

Mantis
05-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Agree, Easton isn't what you would call a 'natural footballer' so I'm struggling to see how a forward shift will work... With Bevo being a stubborn bugger I'm sure he'll give it every opportunity to work, but much prefer him being led to the ball.

His kicking isn't his best asset, but has a habit of being in the right place at the right time and competes extremely well.. He was missed last year.

----

A little concerned about our defence, especially with our tendency to get too far up the ground and then caught out badly on the rebound, we just gifted too many goals early on. The ability of the likes of Biggs, Williams & Cordy to compete one on one wasn't great.. they were often out-sized, but in a highly flexible team like ours there will be times that they are caught in a mis-match and their ability to influence an aerial contest doesn't fill me with hope.

Plenty of good signs though, players look fit, intensity was good.. nice first up hit-out.

jeemak
05-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Agree, Easton isn't what you would call a 'natural footballer' so I'm struggling to see how a forward shift will work... With Bevo being a stubborn bugger I'm sure he'll give it every opportunity to work, but much prefer him being led to the ball.

His kicking isn't his best asset, but has a habit of being in the right place at the right time and competes extremely well.. He was missed last year.

----

A little concerned about our defence, especially with our tendency to get too far up the ground and then caught out badly on the rebound, we just gifted too many goals early on. The ability of the likes of Biggs, Williams & Cordy to compete one on one wasn't great.. they were often out-sized, but in a highly flexible team like ours there will be times that they are caught in a mis-match and their ability to influence an aerial contest doesn't fill me with hope.

Plenty of good signs though, players look fit, intensity was good.. nice first up hit-out.

This has been an issue for a while, in fact, only in the 2016 finals series did we actually get the balance between pushing up too far and holding some middle ground right.