View Full Version : JLT Practise Match 2 v Collingwood

bornadog
05-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Saturday, 10 March
Ted Summerton Reserve, Moe (Map)
1:05 PM EDT

Saturday is a Collingwood home game.

Car
Only 90 minutes from Melbourne and just off the Princes Freeway, Ted Summerton Reserve can be accessed by Wirraway Street then Vale Street where the ground is located.

Train
Moe train station is only 850 meters or a short 10 minute walk away

Broadcast

TV: Foxtel, Live. 1pm
Radio: TBC

Axe Man
06-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Collingwood home game? There aren't actually any home games in the JLT are there? My understanding is your membership will get you in?

choconmientay
06-03-2018, 11:54 PM
Collingwood home game? There aren't actually any home games in the JLT are there? My understanding is your membership will get you in?

From the afl website (http://www.afl.com.au/tickets/jlt-community-series)

Club Member Access

Once again, AFL and Club access members will have free general admission entry to those matches in which their Club is competing (subject to availability, upgrade fees may be applicable). Some restrictions may apply for non-access members. To confirm your eligibility, please contact your club.

Access to JLT Community Series matches is subject to capacity and is not guaranteed. The AFL recommends that members upgrade their membership to a reserved seat or register for a general admission ticket in order to guarantee entry. Membership upgrades and registrations are subject to availability on a first come, first serve basis and subject to an additional fee. Transaction fees may also apply.

Probably upgrade to make sure you can enter the venue after an hour and half drive from Melbourne.

Ticket Prices
TICKET TYPE RESERVED SEAT GENERAL ADMISSION
Adult $30.00 $20.00
Concession $25.00 $15.00
Junior $10.00 $5.00
Family (2 adults, up to 4 juniors under 15) $60.00 $40.00
Adult Member Upgrade $10.00 $5.00
Concession Member Upgrade $10.00 $5.00
Junior Member Upgrade $5.00 $3.00
All prices are subject to additional ticket agent fees.

* Reserved Seat tickets are not available at the following venues:

Kingston Twin Ovals, Hobart
Norm Minns Oval, Wangaratta
Strathalbyn Oval
Leederville Oval
Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex
Casey Fields
Ted Summerton Reserve, Moe
Central Reserve, Colac
Fankhauser Reserve

Axe Man
07-03-2018, 10:55 AM
There's a 10,000 capacity and I plan on getting there 1 hour before game time, I think I'll get in ok. I only live 20 minutes down the road as well.

Twodogs
07-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Ive never been to Moe.

Axe Man
07-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Ive never been to Moe.

I try to avoid it. Seriously though Moe gets a bum wrap but it's not that bad. I'm betting it's a hell of a lot safer than many suburbs of Melbourne.

Twodogs
07-03-2018, 03:28 PM
I try to avoid it. Seriously though Moe gets a bum wrap but it's not that bad. I'm betting it's a hell of a lot safer than many suburbs of Melbourne.

I had my first ever cigarette at a scout camp in Taralgon though!

Axe Man
07-03-2018, 04:10 PM
I had my first ever cigarette at a scout camp in Taralgon though!

Let me guess - you were 35, a scout leader and confiscated it from one of the kids?

Twodogs
07-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Let me guess - you were 35, a scout leader and confiscated it from one of the kids?

I wish. Taking up smoking in my mid 30s would have saved me 20 years of damage to my lungs. Smoking is the stupidest idea I ever got in my head. At least all the other substances were mind altering or gave me a rush.

God knows what the attraction was with smoking. Almost everyone I knew did it I guess. It has been the hardest to quit too. I've been stone cold sober for over 6 years now but I still sneak the occasional drag on a cigarette.

Eastdog
07-03-2018, 07:58 PM
It's my mob the Doggies vs my brothers mob the Pies

Twodogs
07-03-2018, 08:14 PM
It's my mob the Doggies vs my brothers mob the Pies

Careful everyone. Internecine rivalry!

Eastdog
07-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Careful everyone. Internecine rivalry!

Was great to beat them Round 1 last year. Cloke's goal a highlight for sure in that game. Hopefully we beat the plastics in Round 1 and show the comp we mean business again this year.

Twodogs
07-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Was great to beat them Round 1 last year. Cloke's goal a highlight for sure in that game. Hopefully we beat the plastics in Round 1 and show the comp we mean business again this year.

No hopefully about beating the plastics in r1 Easty. Mark it in with a texta.

Eastdog
07-03-2018, 08:33 PM
No hopefully about beating the plastics in r1 Easty. Mark it in with a texta.

Our first 5 games very winnable.

Twodogs
07-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Our first 5 games very winnable.

We got off to a flyer last year and then died in the arse. It never really felt like we were in good form and we were 5-2.!I was thinking "ripper, wait until we hit some form!" But it turned out we were actually in form and that form turned bad.

Eastdog
07-03-2018, 09:08 PM
We got off to a flyer last year and then died in the arse. It never really felt like we were in good form and we were 5-2.!I was thinking "ripper, wait until we hit some form!" But it turned out we were actually in form and that form turned bad.

Yeah great start to the year in 2017 but it all went pear shaped from there.

Twodogs
07-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Yeah great start to the year in 2017 but it all went pear shaped from there.

It just goes to show that if something doesn't feel right then you should listen.

GVGjr
07-03-2018, 10:15 PM

We won games early but I don't think we got off to a flyer. I thought we were very poor in a number of those wins

BulldogBelle
07-03-2018, 10:50 PM
I went to the AFLW match at Moe last week.

It is very picturesque with the lovely green meadows and surrounding hills.

Talking about reserved seats?
That's a very funny one.
There are no seats at the reserve, just some benches around the fence and some terraces behind one of the goals. There is no grandstand. No cover from the rain really. Maybe you can get under one of those tents if it rains.
If the ground holds 10,000 people then that's <1,000 seating and >9,000 standing.

The parking for disabled was good.

The playing surface is good.

The team change rooms are small.

Its no-where near up to standard for an AFL ground.

The outside oval entertainment was interesting. A couple of nice ladies on stilts looking like lady-beetles, a slippery slide for the kids, and the greatest find of all ...

The actual tuba player from the Hyde Street band who used to play in the band marching around the Whitten Oval. With the same tuba! He walked around playing tunes with a guy on a saxaphone. Have a chat with him, the opposition fans used to throw rocks apparently. Poor little chap got hit a few times.

Twodogs
08-03-2018, 12:39 AM
I wouldn't go telling too many people he still has his tuba. You're supposed to give them back!:cool:

Axe Man
08-03-2018, 05:18 PM
https://s9.postimg.org/qocpir9sv/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Axe Man
08-03-2018, 05:21 PM
Dickson in for the concussed Picken is the only change I can see? Strange they haven't given a few more players a go.

bornadog
08-03-2018, 05:45 PM
I thought Tommy Boyd would come in?

I don't think Zaine is good enough for full back, at best he is a 3rd tall.

Ozza
08-03-2018, 05:48 PM
Bit of a concern that Boyd can’t get into the best 26. Let alone best 22.

Axe Man
08-03-2018, 05:53 PM
I thought Tommy Boyd would come in?

I don't think Zaine is good enough for full back, at best he is a 3rd tall.

Surprised that Schache seems to be ahead of Boyd at this stage. Also surprised Wallis can't get a run. I guess Redpath misses out because he won't be there round 1?

Darcy Moore is playing back so Collingwood only really have Reid and Cox as tall forwards. Adams can take Reid and Cordy should be fine on Cox as he's useless.

Twodogs
08-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Surprised that Schache seems to be ahead of Boyd at this stage. Also surprised Wallis can't get a run. I guess Redpath misses out because he won't be there round 1?

Darcy Moore is playing back so Collingwood only really have Reid and Cox as tall forwards. Adams can take Reid and Cordy should be fine on Cox as he's useless.

I'm 54 next month and I reckon I'd comfortably take Cox.

That sounds worse than I meant...

Bulldog4life
08-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Hard to imagine Wallis and Boyd playing first match.

Rocco Jones
08-03-2018, 06:37 PM
With only one change to the 26, I think the MC have a pretty clear picture of our 22 for Round 1.

Happy Days
08-03-2018, 07:47 PM
No Boyd is...interesting.

Stevo seems to think that it's exclusively form based.

Axe Man
08-03-2018, 08:04 PM
With only one change to the 26, I think the MC have a pretty clear picture of our 22 for Round 1.

Assuming Picken comes back in who are the 5 that go out for round 1?

I'll guess English, Webb, Jong, Honey and Schache. Although after talking up playing Boyd, Redpath and Schache together that will mean none of them play. Maybe Bevo is just messing with us all?

GVGjr
08-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Boyd named as an emergency two weeks in a row is a sign he will be an unlikely starter in the early part of the year
I would have liked to have seen Young in the side.

Wood is named in the back line but will he play there especially with Biggs named as the CHF.

I think the Axe Man is right, Bevo might be messing with us :)

Is Wallis now out of our best 22?

Dry Rot
08-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Is Wallis now out of our best 22?

Is Wallis out of contract this year?

Go_Dogs
08-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Interesting stuff.

We're not afraid to back ourselves in at the selection table, but had been hoping we'd see Boyd get a fa,e and be in the mix for round one. I suppose Trengove as a forward/ruck has that spot sewn up.

Wallis must not be regarded as best 22 - after playing some of his best career footy before the leg break, he's struggled for continuity and form.

Mantis
08-03-2018, 09:10 PM
We're not afraid to back ourselves in at the selection table, but had been hoping we'd see Boyd get a fa,e and be in the mix for round one. I suppose Trengove as a forward/ruck has that spot sewn up.

But should Roughead? Disappointed that Boyd hasn't had a chance against an opposing team.

Wallis must not be regarded as best 22 - after playing some of his best career footy before the leg break, he's struggled for continuity and form.

He's had 3 or 4 go past him, and I can't see what his point of difference is at present.

Rocket Science
08-03-2018, 09:21 PM
I forgot how riding the whims of the match committee under Bevo can be almost as anxiety-inducing as a game.

Part of me wonders if some of the blokes getting JLT match time are being given sufficient rope to see if they can push into an already (internally) settled starting lineup that doesn't otherwise include them.

Would Bevo really show his selection hand so plainly?

Love to know the go with Boyd.

ratsmac
08-03-2018, 11:24 PM
I forgot how riding the whims of the match committee under Bevo can be almost as anxiety-inducing as a game.

Part of me wonders if some of the blokes getting JLT match time are being given sufficient rope to see if they can push into an already (internally) settled starting lineup that doesn't otherwise include them.

Maybe Bevo is sending Boyd a message. Bash the door down and I'll play you.

Eastdog
08-03-2018, 11:39 PM

Is he carrying an injury?

Twodogs
08-03-2018, 11:58 PM

Schasche may have gone past him over the preseason, most of the press I've read about Josh has been cautiously optimistic about his preperation so far. For the first time in living memory there is genuine competition for key position spots and there is going to be at least one bloke playing in the VFL each week that on form probably deserves to be playing AFL.

Tom may be carrying something. His reason for missing last week was soreness. Which is a bit interesting, soreness? Really? But we haven't played a match yet. Not even a practice match.

Eastdog
09-03-2018, 12:04 AM
Schasche has probably gone past him. Tom has to realise that for the first time in living memory there is genuine competition for key position spots and there is going to be at least one bloke playing in the VFL each w

Bevo is very big on selecting players in form. He really wants you to earn your spot in the team.

Not in form not good enough to be in the senior team. Libba got a lot of that back last Saturday because at times last year he certainly wasn't earning his spot.

GVGjr
09-03-2018, 01:28 AM

I don't think he would be named as an emergency for 2 weeks if he was injured.

Mofra
09-03-2018, 11:45 AM
I don't think he would be named as an emergency for 2 weeks if he was injured.
Didn't he have a shoulder clean up over the off season?

Ozza
09-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Didn't he have a shoulder clean up over the off season?

I think that was the previous year. I might be wrong.

In any case, I don't think there is a doubt on his current fitness. Its form/performance/training related. Its disappointing that he is still not at the point of being considered a best 22 lock.

divvydan
09-03-2018, 12:08 PM
In his Press Conference today, Stephen King said that Wallis missed a couple of weeks with a glute injury but he's now back in full training. No mention of an injury for Boyd.

Mantis
09-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Shane Biggs has withdrawn from tomorrow's game, replaced by Billy Gowers.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-03-2018, 12:46 PM
How many get 'cut' from the squad for tomorrow's game?

I want to see Schache have a full game. A little disappointed and worried that Boyd isn't in the squad, he really should be coming along as a senior footballer. Starting to have my doubts, even though what he did in the 06 PF and GF will forever be immortalised.

Will be good to get a look at Gowers, he looked off the pace in the AFLX rubbish.

Bulldog4life
09-03-2018, 12:53 PM
In his Press Conference today, Stephen King said that Wallis missed a couple of weeks with a glute injury but he's now back in full training. No mention of an injury for Boyd.

Kingy said that Boyd did have a glute injury as well during pre season.

Rocket Science
09-03-2018, 01:00 PM
I reckon "glute injury" is our new code for "managed" in 2018. As in, pull your finger out son.

Axe Man
09-03-2018, 01:10 PM
How many get 'cut' from the squad for tomorrow's game?

I want to see Schache have a full game. A little disappointed and worried that Boyd isn't in the squad, he really should be coming along as a senior footballer. Starting to have my doubts, even though what he did in the 06 PF and GF will forever be immortalised.

Will be good to get a look at Gowers, he looked off the pace in the AFLX rubbish.

They can play all 8 on the bench or they can choose to play fewer. I'm unfamiliar with Boyd's under 12 exploits in 06 but I'll take your word for it. ;)

Axe Man
09-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Dog defender sidelined for Pies clash (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-09/dog-defender-sidelined-for-pies-clash)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have withdrawn defensive playmaker Shane Biggs from Saturday's JLT Community Series game against Collingwood in Moe.

The 26-year-old premiership player will be replaced in the 26-man squad by rookie Billy Gowers.

Gowers, who is a hard-running medium forward, spent one season on Carlton's rookie list in 2016 before impressing at Footscray last season and earning another chance at the highest level.

Another notable absentee from the Dogs' side for the trip to country Victoria is big man Tom Boyd, with assistant coach Steven King telling reporters on Friday morning the 22-year-old wasn't out of contention for round one despite not being selected for either of the club's pre-season matches.

The versatile tall will join other players left out of the squad to face the Magpies in a training and match simulation session on Saturday morning.

Recruit and fellow tall forward Josh Schache has been the only key forward picked in the club's two pre-season hit-outs, with first-choice key forward Jack Redpath unavailable for round one through suspension.

"(Tom is) training hard and getting up to peak fitness and form, (but) had a slight hiccup in the pre-season with a glute injury and missed a couple of weeks," King said.

"We've got a full and available list, and 'Boydy', like a handful of others, is definitely not out of contention for round one.

"He's happy, he's healthy and he's building."

Midfielder Mitch Wallis is in a similar situation to Boyd, with the 25-year-old also suffering a glute injury over the summer.

Wallis, who missed the club's 2016 premiership with a badly broken leg, must also be in doubt for round one after he was unavailable for the club's intra-club session in late February.

Eastdog
09-03-2018, 04:23 PM
They can play all 8 on the bench or they can choose to play fewer. I'm unfamiliar with Boyd's under 12 exploits in 06 but I'll take your word for it. ;)

2016 :) :)

kruder
10-03-2018, 12:40 AM
Really concern for Boyd. The rhetoric out of whiten oval that he is on the cusp usually means the exact opposite. Will we see him play in the seniors again? Interesting times....

GVGjr
10-03-2018, 12:50 AM
Really concern for Boyd. The rhetoric out of whiten oval that he is on the cusp usually means the exact opposite. Will we see him play in the seniors again? Interesting times....

I think he will get himself right. I'd obviously prefer that he was playing but the door now opens for Schache and Redpath when he is available.

kruder
10-03-2018, 10:10 AM
I think he will get himself right. I'd obviously prefer that he was playing but the door now opens for Schache and Redpath when he is available.

Fingers crossed would love to see he become an AFL regular. It would be nice to see Schache play some forward time today but under Bevo and this so called flexible mantra expect him to play ruck after 2 mins in the forward line.

Eastdog
10-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Great start. Libba doing good. Macrae getting plenty of it. Wood and Dahl with the goals. Loved the movemrnt forward that led to the first goal Libba to Bont to Wood to finish.

Mantis
10-03-2018, 02:16 PM
I love long bombs inside 50. :mad:

bornadog
10-03-2018, 02:16 PM
Hope Roughead is ok

Mantis
10-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Hope Roughead is ok

Just keeps finding ways to get hurt... Would spend more time in the hands of trainers than just about anyone in the competition.

Rocket Science
10-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Groundhog day: awful indiscriminate entries and Roughy banged up.

Pretty positive signs otherwise. The lads look hungry.

Eastdog
10-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Roughy back on!

jeemak
10-03-2018, 02:21 PM
After a clean start our kicking has been disgusting.

bornadog
10-03-2018, 02:26 PM
After a clean start our kicking has been disgusting.

Pretty average that is for sure

Mantis
10-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Pretty average that is for sure

It would be pretty average for a club team, for a team of professionals it’s disgraceful.

Eastdog
10-03-2018, 02:32 PM
5.1 good accuracy

bornadog
10-03-2018, 02:33 PM
It would be pretty average for a club team, for a team of professionals it’s disgraceful.

Dale's last three have been shockers

kruder
10-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Great to see the Bont finish its been awhile. We are keeping it in our forward half nicely game plan looks the same we have just added a little hunger.

Rocket Science
Roughy is the modern equivalent of Monty Python's Black Knight.

bornadog
In the end a very good quarter.

Bulldog4life
10-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Lot of negatives on Woof. Our team is going well.

kruder
10-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Easton Wood forward. Thoughts? I can see why Bevo is having a crack but our Backline is so inexperienced I'd love to see him take an intercept mark again.

Eastdog
McLean, JJ, Libba, Hunter have got a bit of it.

jeemak
What a mixed bag that quarter was, some of our usual good users seemed to be down in that area (particularly Dale early) but the endeavour was good.

Like the look of Crozier and Naughton as additions to our defence.

Collingwood don't look any good, not sure how to gauge that quarter.

Mantis
10-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Dale's last three have been shockers

Must be something to do with the first name as the other Bailey is struggling with his kicking too.

When we use it well we look great, just need to do it more often.

kruder
10-03-2018, 02:43 PM
What a mixed bag that quarter was, some of our usual good users seemed to be down in that area (particularly Dale early) but the endeavour was good.

Like the look of Crozier and Naughton as additions to our defence.

Collingwood don't look any good, not sure how to gauge that quarter.

Collingwood are a bottom 5 team they have a very ordinary list indeed.

GVGjr
10-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Easton Wood forward. Thoughts? I can see why Bevo is having a crack but our Backline is so inexperienced I'd love to see him take an intercept mark again.

So who would you move out of the back half to make room for Wood?

It's worth considering but why not stick with it today?

Mantis
10-03-2018, 02:57 PM
I love his endeavour, but HC just makes too many errors to succeed at this level.

jeemak
10-03-2018, 03:01 PM
I wish they'd stop jamming Eddie down our bloody throats.

This quarter has been the pits. Almost want to turn the tele off.

Mantis
10-03-2018, 03:06 PM

He shouldn’t be playing rd.1 if he isn’t in defence on his pre-season form.. totally ineffective as a forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Some really poor ball movement and skill execution. The second quarter has been poor.

Finally won the ball out of the middle and JJ spots up Gowers.

kruder
10-03-2018, 03:09 PM

Naughton for round 1 happy for him to play VFL even as impressive as he has been.

bornadog
10-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Collingwood have missed alot of easy goals

bornadog
10-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Can't see HC playing round one and agree Wood should be in the backline. Naughton a lock

jeemak
10-03-2018, 03:15 PM
That quarter was garbage.

If there was no opportunity to atone in the second half I'd be telling the lads to bring their mouth guards to training.

kruder
Can't see HC playing round one and agree Wood should be in the backline. Naughton a lock

Do you think Adams Wood Cordy and Naughton is one too many for the defence?

Eastdog
Good 1st quarter
Poor 2nd quarter
Need a good 2nd half

The Underdog
Collingwood have missed alot of easy goals

We should be 5 goals down after that 2nd quarter. We were slaughtered.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Wood as a forward is horrendous. Understand it’s a small sample size but he couldn’t be any worse. Please send him back.

HC gives his all but is nowhere near the standard.

Nice to see as Schache take a strong mark then attack the ball strong and win it - hope to see more of it.

Overall, frustrating second quarter. We were completely out worked, but more than that, we are still bombing the ball to contests all over the ground and it simply doesn’t work.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Hopefully this is just pre season frolics and not indicative of what we're going to bring this year week in week out. Because both weeks have looked eerily similar to what we served up in 2017.

China Dog
10-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Honeychurch isn't up to it. Turns the ball over just about every time he gets it.

bornadog
10-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Do you think Adams Wood Cordy and Naughton is one too many for the defence?

Not at all. I don't see Wood as a tall, he is only 186cm. I think Cordy is the one that could be dropped from that lot if we wanted one less.

Wood practically didn't touch the ball in the first half last week and he only has 4 disposals so far today. The experiment is not working.

jeemak
10-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Grundy will get two for his front on and high hit to Dickson if it's found he hit him in the head.

bornadog
10-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Whilst Wood has had only 4 dispoals, so has Dunkley, Gowers. The bombing the ball into the 50 doesnot work

bornadog
10-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Libba with 17 disposals, 13 contested -he is in for a good season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Our defensive unit has been all at sea both weeks. Suckling up against Mason Cox with Crozier in support..not a tall in support.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Our ball movement still shaky...
Libba has been impressive.

Eastdog
10-03-2018, 03:59 PM
Libba with 17 disposals, 13 contested -he is in for a good season.

Been very good Libba.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Crozier, Williams, Dickson and Schache have all committed horrendous turnovers by foot today.

Rocket Science
10-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Crozier, Williams, Dickson and Schache have all committed horrendous turnovers by foot today.

Williams MUST clean up that side of his game if he's any chance of consistently avoiding the VFL this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-03-2018, 04:08 PM
Wood might be the worst defender-goes-forward I have ever seen. It's frustrating that we are persisting. With this being the last JLT game, he should have played the second half back where he belongs.

TBH it's been an ugly performance aside from the first quarter.

bornadog
10-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Whilst Wood has had only 4 dispoals, so has Dunkley, Gowers.
None of them touched the ball that quarter. Schache and Roughead also with 4.

Eastdog
10-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Lin Jong has been ok. Nice goal.

Rocket Science
10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Trengove's a pretty useful addition and Crozier lends a bit of depth and versatility but jeez it's hard to see much evolution in our game since last year, or much improvement in our skill/structural flaws.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Its a pre season game so you forgive certain things..but the unforced errors we've made that look the same as the kinds we made last year is worrying. The bombing in long is worrying.

Mantis
10-03-2018, 04:25 PM
How can an AFL player kick the ball 2m over the head of a guy 15m away?

The foot skills of AFL players, in general, are bloody ordinary.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Love how we still somehow think Dahlhaus is 6ft 4...and a viable overhead target inside 50..

Rocket Science
10-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Why are we kicking long to Dalhaus on the lead and thinking something'll come of it?

AndrewP6
10-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Jeez I'm glad I stayed home to watch this crap.

The Underdog
10-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Its a pre season game so you forgive certain things..but the unforced errors we've made that look the same as the kinds we made last year is worrying. The bombing in long is worrying.

Yeah, it’s the more of the same aspect which is dispiriting

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-03-2018, 04:35 PM
I'm glad Luke Beveridge is optimistic. I've not seen anything in the 2 pre season games that suggests we've addressed our deficiencies.
We've still turned the ball over with alarming frequency, we still bomb the ball inside 50 and we give up bunches of goals in a row.
For me Libba has been a positive, Trengove and the prospect of Naughton.

Rocket Science
10-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Aimless forward entries, no clear forward targets, an undersized backline getting exploited and crap, wasteful ball use around the ground in general. Stop me if you've heard this before.

We had 20 minutes of cohesive footy in us today. Sure it's a junk game but we obliged with junk footy.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-03-2018, 04:50 PM
JLT rubbish aside it’s concerning that nothing seems to have changed; woeful skill execution, poor decision making and zero cohesion in the forward half.

The constant bombing to nobody/to a pack of players/to Dahlhaus/Dunkley is excruciating to watch.

ledge
10-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Can't believe how people read so much into Jlt .

Rocket Science
10-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Can't believe how people read so much into Jlt .

Like being able to distribute the footy amongst each other to AFL standard?

I'm guessing they'll just flick that switch come round one.

LostDoggy
10-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Eh it's a practice match, I would suggest the bevo has more insight watching a full preseason to assess our improvements than the 4 hours of an exaggerated exhibition game

Bulldog4life
10-03-2018, 05:28 PM
From a positive perspective we lost 2 out of 3 matches in the 2016 preseason comp.

bornadog
10-03-2018, 05:35 PM

I bet at training of they missed targets they would get blasted by coaches.

ratsmac
10-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Our forward line is always congested and the ball leaves quicker than it arrives to open opposition forward line with either a 1 on 1 with our defenders out of position or an out number in their favour. Same old same old.

ratsmac
10-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Teams have worked us out but we haven't changed anything to combat it.

Eastdog
10-03-2018, 05:49 PM

If it's there from Round 1, 2018 and onwards then that's what matters.

Eastdog
10-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Our forward line is always congested and the ball leaves quicker than it arrives to open opposition forward line with either a 1 on 1 with our defenders out of position or an out number in their favour. Same old same old.

Last week we were better up in the forward and actually kicked accurately.

Accuracy has been pretty good the last 2 weeks. We didn't do enough today after quarter time.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-03-2018, 06:19 PM
If Schache is ahead of Boyd right now..how bad must Tom be going? Schache is flat out not AFL ready right now so to be getting time ahead of Boyd is quite concerning.

SonofScray
10-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Saw enough early that I am confident we'll contend in 2018. Putting most of the fade out to use of the bench, Roughead hobbled, holding firm on a handful of changes that didn't work.

Didn't like the lack of aerial competitiveness across CHF & and the back line deep. That broke down horribly after the 1qtr.

The Underdog
10-03-2018, 06:43 PM
If Schache is ahead of Boyd right now..how bad must Tom be going? Schache is flat out not AFL ready right now so to be getting time ahead of Boyd is quite concerning.

It’s a massive concern. Boyd’s lack of progress and ability to nail down a spot which is his to take is a problem.

Greystache
10-03-2018, 06:55 PM
That was excruciating to watch, much like most of last year. You could be forgiven for thinking last season only finished 2 weeks ago and we've rolled straight into the next year. Horrible horrible skills, particularly kicking, blindly bombing the ball in to the forward 50m exclusively to the opposition's advantage, and getting out marked routinely in defence.

I have no idea what we've tried to work on over the preseason, what our plan is, or if we're even mildly concerned about some of the glaring weaknesses we have, but it looks like we're in for more of the same as last year.

bulldogtragic
10-03-2018, 07:06 PM
That was excruciating to watch, much like most of last year. You could be forgiven for thinking last season only finished 2 weeks ago and we've rolled straight into the next year. Horrible horrible skills, particularly kicking, blindly bombing the ball in to the forward 50m exclusively to the opposition's advantage, and getting out marked routinely in defence.

I have no idea what we've tried to work on over the preseason, what our plan is, or if we're even mildly concerned about some of the glaring weaknesses we have, but it looks like we're in for more of the same as last year.

I missed watching it today. The good, it sounds like a root canal without anaesthetic so I'm happy to miss it. The bad, it sounds like it could be like that for another 22 games. Bizarre to think last year was us playing the 'right way', ergo, try it again this year.

divvydan
10-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Schache only came on today because of Roughy going off injured. Seems like we were only planning on playing 22 this week and sticking with the interchange cap or at least close to it.

Twodogs
10-03-2018, 07:27 PM
How can an AFL player kick the ball 2m over the head of a guy 15m away?

The foot skills of AFL players, in general, are bloody ordinary.

I have no idea how an AFL footballer could be that bad by foot. We used to be able to hide the bad kicks but the game is too fast to be limited to disposing of the ball by hand. Players have to kick the ball these days and kick it well.

I wonder if the property steward is still the skills coach as well?

Love how we still somehow think Dahlhaus is 6ft 4...and a viable overhead target inside 50..

It's a Brad Johnson thing maybe? We used to be able to do it with Johnno so obviously we can do it with Dal too.

Saw enough early that I am confident we'll contend in 2018. Putting most of the fade out to use of the bench, Roughead hobbled, holding firm on a handful of changes that didn't work.

Didn't like the lack of aerial competitiveness across CHF & and the back line deep. That broke down horribly after the 1qtr.

We only started with four on the bench according to the radio.

Maybe that's why we can't get into training anymore these days.

Remi Moses
10-03-2018, 07:35 PM
Please wait until the actual season for the hand wringing and wrist slashing

always right
10-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Talk about an over reliance on Bont and JJ as matchwinners.....and Caleb and MaCrae as playmakers. Talk it down as much as you like our evenness is also our weakness. We look like a bottom six team.

AndrewP6
10-03-2018, 08:03 PM
I wonder if the property steward is still the skills coach as well?

Jayden Shea works with the women's team, he is not the skills coach for the AFL side.

Twodogs
10-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Jayden Shea works with the women's team, he is not the skills coach for the AFL side.

Cheers Andrew. My bad.

With the improvement the AFLW team has shown he's been a good appointment! Maybe the AFL team should make a left appointment to teach their players to kick as well... :rolleyes:

S Coast Simon
10-03-2018, 08:33 PM
I think you will find after the great first quarter they took there foot off the gas a bit. Not a good thing but still a practice match. Good to get that out of the way. Won’t be doing that again in a hurry. Bring on the plastics round one.

GVGjr
10-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Not what I was expecting or wanting to see today but there was once again some positive signs.
Naughton was impressive again, Dahlhaus was back into some form, Dunkley wasn't as good as last week but founds to contribute.
Trengove and Liberatore were good contributors again.

There are some reason why we didn't finish the game strongly mainly the number of rotations Collingwood enjoyed but despite the early start to training for this season we still have some work to do before round 1.

SquirrelGrip
10-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Finally got home from our day trip to Moe. Extraordinary oversupply of mullets, tattoos in irregular places (it was hot, so they were more exposed than usual), plus some amazing skills with the numbers of cans held by individuals from the bar to their spots leaning on the fence. The Slurpee and Slushie van man could retire to the Bahamas after his takings today.

Did I say it was HOT!

Admittedly a lot of things would be clearer on TV than from where I was wandering around the ground, but here is some of what I noticed:

- Darcy Moore’s hair is orange in the daylight
- I think they had something like 27 intercept marks in their defence. Our entry into the forward 50 remains as poor as recent years. It’s just different deck chairs with different players. Don’t blame Dahlhaus that they kick to him. He’s at least leading into the right direction. But is the problem the targets or those delivering?
- the forward line seems unstructured. Maybe the mayhem creates more challenges for the opposition but none of our team know where to kick it or who to kick it to. Tom Boyd and Schache in the same forward line would at least make other defenders accountable and stop their tall guys taking the easy intercepts.
- why recruit all these tall blokes then not play one on Mason Wood whose only asset is, er, being tall.
- it was very hot
- I suspect our rotations were down on Collingwood’s. We slowed down across the field as the game went on.
- there was a reasonable breeze going into one of the forward pockets but we just didn’t adjust our kicking and attacked down that side of the ground.
- The Bont can do whatever he likes. Will have an incredible year.
- Libba is hitting other bodies harder than last year. Ferocious attack on the ball.
- Jack Macrae is up and about. His hand balling is sublime in close.
- Missed Caleb today.
- Naughty is the best first year player I’ve seen since the Bont. Will become the league’s leading defender very soon.
- Suckling caught on his right foot is not pretty to watch.
- with all the juggling of defenders to the forward line, still surprised we don’t try our premiership centre half forward up there, as he has shown he can do the job better than most.
- our midfield doesn’t run as deep as we’d like. When Bont, Macrae, Libba not there, then praying is our only hope.
- Schack will be Ok once he figures out his role, which should be up the ground. Has elements of Riewoldt with his run.

Twodogs
10-03-2018, 10:52 PM
Don’t blame Dahlhaus that they kick to him. He’s at least leading into the right direction

Yeah, they kick it to him because he leads at the ball carrier.

bornadog
11-03-2018, 12:20 AM
- our midfield doesn’t run as deep as we’d like. When Bont, Macrae, Libba not there, then praying is our only hope.

Thanks for an enjoyable read.

I thought Mclean did well in the midfield racking up lots of possessions. Jong needs to find more of the ball.

Every year people get heated up about the practise matches, it will be different come round one.

MrMahatma
11-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Wood forward is crazy. We gotta stop that for the real deal.

I'm finding the "versatility" mantra increasingly frustrating. I wish we'd play key forwards as key forwards, defenders as defenders, half backs as half backs....

I just feel like our coaching team are always out to out smart everyone, rather than just having a good list that plays to the positions they're best at.

SquirrelGrip
11-03-2018, 09:32 AM

I thought Mclean did well in the midfield racking up lots of possessions.

True, forgot McLean. He’s doing OK. My peeve with him yesterday was that he’d get the ball then run backwards to go forwards.

ratsmac
11-03-2018, 09:55 AM

I thought Mclean did well in the midfield racking up lots of possessions. Jong needs to find more of the ball.

Every year people get heated up about the practise matches, it will be different come round one.
Fingers and toes crossed. I still would have liked to see them put in a better performance against a team I don't rate very highly.

I'm finding the "versatility" mantra increasingly frustrating. I wish we'd play key forwards as key forwards, defenders as defenders, half backs as half backs....

I just feel like our coaching team are always out to out smart everyone, rather than just having a good list that plays to the positions they're best at.

I'm leaning this way as well. The playing in more than 1 position mantra that Bevo likes is all well and good but what's the point of being a Jack of all trades but master of none when it comes to football. It makes coaching easier I suppose by having many options to throw the magnets around, but the players (not all) aren't playing any of their multi faceted positions well enough anymore from the outside looking in.
I hope this practice match was just that, practice. Trying new things to see what works and what doesn't. Come round 1 I just hope we are well prepared.

Twodogs
11-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Yep, versatility is supposed to make us a better team and that should mean we are winning more matches. The versatility mantra is costing us losses.

ledge
11-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Yep, versatility is supposed to make us a better team and that should mean we are winning more matches. The versatility mantra is costing us losses.
Which games have we lost using the versatility mantra when we have played two games lost one that the cost us nothing as
it was a practice game ?

I can also tell you of players who's career was saved due to the versatility mantra being used in practice matches eg Jones.
We tend to judge teams on practice match wins / losses when coaches are putting players in different position, it is known that young forwards will be put in the backline to learn how backman will beat them and visa versa. I would say Wood has been put forward so we could look at Naughton. , we also have Young as well.
Wood is known for his leap and mark , it didn't work but maybe because we didn't have a big forward playing alongside him.
Maybe we weren't worried about Wood at all and wanted to concentrate more on how Naughtin goes.
Let's keep Jlt in perspective it's about exactly that practice and throwing players around .
Sydney rarely win a practice match and it's certainly not "Costly" losing a JLT game means nothing.
I also don't know where we ever lost a real game through the versatility mantra . Maybe we lost a game because our players were in their normal positions and we were losing and Bevo moved players into different positions to try and win but I don't believe we have ever lost a game because of it.
Injuries also play a part of we lose a position player that's not abundant on our list we need to see who would be best to replace him.
Jlt is practice for team mantra and looking at players in other positions , if we wanted to win yesterday we would have but would have learnt nothing new about our players.

SonofScray
11-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Wood forward has some merit, but surely it is a net loss for us when compared with Wood in the backline. We need experience down there given the loss of Murph, Boyd and Morris and clearly Wood's strengths are suited to the role he has played so well across 15, 16 & a little less so in 17.

He can compete as a forward and hold a structure, but any meat & potatoes player should be OK with that at this level. That consistent, defensive, high instensity, repeat effort stuff should be for Dunkley, Cordy, Dahlhaus, Smith, Redpath and Dickson (with varying expectations, or emphasis for each). You get really strong output in some of those scenarios, if the bigger guys manage to nail it, like Cordy in the finals, it's a massive net positive result. Dunkley I think is the key here, less touches I50 from him could be stronger, more influential, than more possessions in the middle.

Mostly though, I just want to bank on 15-20 times the ball goes in to the opposition forward line that Wood gets his hands on it.

Twodogs
11-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Which games have we lost using the versatility mantra when we have played two games lost one that the cost us nothing as
it was a practice game ?

I can also tell you of players who's career was saved due to the versatility mantra being used in practice matches eg Jones.
We tend to judge teams on practice match wins / losses when coaches are putting players in different position, it is known that young forwards will be put in the backline to learn how backman will beat them and visa versa. I would say Wood has been put forward so we could look at Naughton. , we also have Young as well.
Wood is known for his leap and mark , it didn't work but maybe because we didn't have a big forward playing alongside him.
Maybe we weren't worried about Wood at all and wanted to concentrate more on how Naughtin goes.
Let's keep Jlt in perspective it's about exactly that practice and throwing players around .
Sydney rarely win a practice match and it's certainly not "Costly" losing a JLT game means nothing.
I also don't know where we ever lost a real game through the versatility mantra . Maybe we lost a game because our players were in their normal positions and we were losing and Bevo moved players into different positions to try and win but I don't believe we have ever lost a game because of it.
Injuries also play a part of we lose a position player that's not abundant on our list we need to see who would be best to replace him.
Jlt is practice for team mantra and looking at players in other positions , if we wanted to win yesterday we would have but would have learnt nothing new about our players.

We've been experimenting with this versatility thing longer than this preseason. Playing players out of position (the actual meaning of versatility) cost us wins last year.

Jones was moved from the forward line mid season and took two weeks off playing to learn defensive zones. He spent exactly no time in defence at Carlton last preseason.

I understand what you're saying about practice matches but I hate losing to anyone at anything at any time. And we should be putting shitruck teams like Collingwood away comfortably and they made us look second rate at times yesterday.

ledge
11-03-2018, 12:20 PM
We've been experimenting with this versatility thing longer than this preseason. Playing players out of position (the actual meaning of versatility) cost us wins last year.

Jones was moved from the forward line mid season and took two weeks off playing to learn defensive zones. He spent exactly no time in defence at Carlton last preseason.

I understand what you're saying about practice matches but I hate losing to anyone at anything at any time. And we should be putting shitruck teams like Collingwood away comfortably and they made us look second rate at times yesterday.

Losing in a practice match can also give Collingwood a false sense of improvement, they sign up Buckley another 3 years and we keep smashing them in the real season. Rather that than omg we lost to Collingwood in a practice match "end of the world" scenario I'm reading everywhere.

LostDoggy
11-03-2018, 12:22 PM
With our rotations significantly lower than Collingwood and a player short I think our focus was clearly on endurance training rather than worrying about the win which means nothing. After Collingwood's effort against gws their focus was to show their fans that they aren't a basket case that they showed previously. We are at least 6 rounds away from knowing if we have addressed our issues from last year. That would be the sample size I would focus on rather than the last 2 weeks.

ledge
11-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Can I add huge bonus . No major injuries ! Oh yeah baby !
Roughead the usual, looks like someone shot him with a cannon ball but back on the ground 20 min later. That's a given for him every third game.

always right
11-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Up until the injury I don’t think I’ve seen Roughy ruck better.....was jumping high and confidently. Also loved Dahlhaus’ forward work......that’s where he should play. Searching for positives.

ledge
11-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Up until the injury I don’t think I’ve seen Roughy ruck better.....was jumping high and confidently. Also loved Dahlhaus’ forward work......that’s where he should play. Searching for positives.

Don't think we have to search much .. Naughton, Crozier, Trengove, Libba and also the Bont who was definitley moved out of the middle when he wouldn't be in a real game.

Eastdog
11-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Great read SquirrelGrip.

Eastdog
11-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Can I add huge bonus . No major injuries ! Oh yeah baby !
Roughead the usual, looks like someone shot him with a cannon ball but back on the ground 20 min later. That's a given for him every third game.

That's the main thing.

LostDoggy
11-03-2018, 05:32 PM
Im not as concerned as some by this weekends match. Having 40 odd rotations less in 32 degree heat is a pretty massive advantage to concede. We were ahead early in the last but they were always going to finish all over us.

Importantly, Trengove, Crozier and Naughton look like they are ready to add to the team from R1, whilst Libba, Roughy, Jong, Dunkley and Adams are all looking to be much bigger contributors this year compared to last. That's 8 players who can offer subsantial imprvement coupled with a number of 2nd, 3rd and 4th year players, some of which wil surely develop and improve.

I still look forward to the 2018 season with a lot of optimism.

Bulldog4life
11-03-2018, 06:46 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-03-10/by-the-numbers-jlt-2

Dogs midfielder Tom Liberatore was Dogs best on Saturday in Moe, grabbing 28 touches and 16 contested possessions, to go along with seven clearances, four tackles and four inside 50s. All in all, a solid day out for the 25-year-old

The ninth overall pick in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, Aaron Naughton had a team-high eight marks on Saturday afternoon, including seven intercept marks, pressing his case hard for a Round 1 debut.

Lin Jong reminded all and sundry what he was capable of in full flight after a quiet return from an ACL injury last weekend in Ballarat, kicking two goals, taking four marks and gathering 18 touches. His third term was particularly impressive, where he led the team with seven pressure acts, four contested possessions and seven disposals at 100%. Welcome back, Jongy.

Luke Dahlhaus led the Dogs with nine tackles, and added 20 touches, four clearances, five inside 50s and a goal. It may have just been a pre-season game but there’s some encouraging numbers in there for Dogs fans.

Twodogs
11-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Impressive numbers for Dalhaus. Does anyone want to estimate how much time he spent in the midfield v the time he spent forward? If he spent a lot of time in the forward line I'm changing to super-impressive.

SquirrelGrip
11-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Impressive numbers for Dalhaus. Does anyone want to estimate how much time he spent in the midfield v the time he spent forward? If he spent a lot of time in the forward line I'm changing to super-impressive.

No-one seemed to play in the forward line yesterday. Everyone pushes up and then it’s a sprint to the finish line to score. Dahlhaus may not have started in the centre square but pushed up most of the game.

Twodogs
11-03-2018, 10:38 PM
No-one seemed to play in the forward line yesterday. Everyone pushes up and then it’s a sprint to the finish line to score. Dahlhaus may not have started in the centre square but pushed up most of the game.

Interesting. Going the zero man forward line probably won't be an option come round one though.

hujsh
11-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Can't help but feel that if we're pushing a tallish defender forward in the regular season to maintain structure and affect aerial contests then surely that role should go to Cordy as the default over Wood.

Maybe if the matchups are a certain way it might have to be Wood but as a rule Wood just has so much more ability to influence a game down back than Cordy at this point in time (and honestly Cordy looks better up front than Wood too)

bornadog
11-03-2018, 11:26 PM
Can't help but feel that if we're pushing a tallish defender forward in the regular season to maintain structure and affect aerial contests then surely that role should go to Cordy as the default over Wood.

Maybe if the matchups are a certain way it might have to be Wood but as a rule Wood just has so much more ability to influence a game down back than Cordy at this point in time (and honestly Cordy looks better up front than Wood too)

I agree, Cordy is not a great backman at this stage, but I feel he can play forward as we saw in his last 7 games in 2016

hujsh
12-03-2018, 12:02 AM
I agree, Cordy is not a great backman at this stage, but I feel he can play forward as we saw in his last 7 games in 2016

I mean I do still like Cordy as a backman but Wood is an All-Australian potential match winner down back and Cordy is the superior defensive/structural forward.

bornadog
12-03-2018, 12:02 AM
Stand-in coach Steven King addressed the media after the Bulldogs 33-point loss to Collingwood in Moe on Saturday afternoon, and westernbulldogs.com.au lists the five key takeaways. (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-03-10/five-key-takeaways-king-press-conference)

1. Jordan Roughead looks to be ok after a bit of a scare
The big man fell awkwardly early on and would eventually sit out the second half, though only as a precaution.
‘’He just slipped on the cricket pitch, [and] copped a couple of knocks to the hip – it just stiffened up on him so at half time we thought there’s not point taking any risk today.
‘’He’s ok. For a precaution we thought we’d take him off for the second half and make sure we manage him ok.’

2. The recruitment of Jackson Trengove continues to look inspired
The former Port Adelaide best and fairest submitted a second impressive performance in as many outings in Bulldogs colours, picking up 24 touches to go along with 19 hit-outs, and critically stepped up in Roughead’s absence.
‘’I thought Jackson Trengove stood up really well. He gave us that bit of presence around the footy, competed on the ground and in the air and gave all Bulldogs supporters a bit of a taste of what he’ll bring to us this year.”

3. Draftee Aaron Naughton has made a strong case for the trip to Canberra
Took a team-high eight marks and collected 13 possessions in another solid display down back by the 18-year-old. Looks to be firming for a Round 1 debut.
‘’He just keeps impressing. It’s his second game for us obviously, and I think he had seven intercept marks himself. He’s got courage, he launches at the footy at the highest point and as a defender it’s a great quality.
‘’He’s obviously still got heaps of scope to improve but it’s a really exciting pick for us, and he’s put his best foot forward today to play Round 1.’’

4. Shane Biggs and Caleb Daniel should be available for Round 1
Both Biggs and Daniel were late withdrawals after being named in the initial squad on Thursday, though both are expected to be available for selection when the real stuff begins in a couple of weeks.
‘’[Caleb] had a bit of food poisoning. We got to the Club Friday and the doc said he’d rung up sick, so unfortunately him and Shane Biggs were late outs with a little bit of illness and soreness but they’d be fine to come back next week if there were a game.’’

5. What happens now?
There’s 15 days between now and the Dogs’ opening round clash with the Giants, and the focus will be on ensuring each player is ready to go if picked.
‘’The boys that didn’t play today had a five quarter hit-out at VU Whitten Oval today, trying to replicate the same workload that the boys here (in Moe) would have had.
‘’We’ll just look at the balance to see who needs the run, our VFL team will have a game on, so whoever we think needs a game we’ll work back from that to get the best side possible for Round 1.’’

Insufficient Intent
12-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Just left of field:
If history is any guide, the Pies beat us in the last round of the pre-season (then called NAB Challenge) in 2016.
May history repeat please!

Pickenitup
12-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Also in that game in 2016 nab we were up by 40 pts and lost our ruckman Tom Campbell in the 2 nd qtr may history repeat.

craigsahibee
13-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Just left of field:
If history is any guide, the Pies beat us in the last round of the pre-season (then called NAB Challenge) in 2016.

And it was on the Labour Day long weekend and I was unable to watch both games as I was down on the Mornington Peninsula.

Scarily synergistic (I think I just made up a word).

Twodogs
13-03-2018, 04:30 PM
Just left of field:

The history of a drought breaking premiership teams winning again two years later isn't an outlier;

Richmond 1967-1969 (since 1943)
West coast 1992-1994(first ever)
North Melb 1975-1977(first ever)
Carlton 1968-1970 (since 1945)
Geelong 2007-2009(since 1963)

Richmond and Carlton 1967-70 is interesting. We could do it all again nearly 50 years later with us taking Carlton's spot!