PDA

View Full Version : Brian Royal

Pickenitup
11-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Hey guys Choco was on Sen this is your sporting life this morning do yourself a favour and have a listen on podcast it was sensational .

GVGjr
11-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Yep, I really enjoyed listening to it. Choco is a good guy

Scraggers
11-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Any links for us interstaters ? :cool:

GVGjr
11-03-2018, 09:27 PM

I can't find it but it's Peter Donegan for Tobin brothers who does the interview

Twodogs
11-03-2018, 10:34 PM

Here we go;

https://omny.fm/shows/this-is-your-sporting-life/brian-royals-sporting-life

Enjoy over a cup of your overpriced coffee.;)

Scraggers
12-03-2018, 12:38 AM
Here we go;

https://omny.fm/shows/this-is-your-sporting-life/brian-royals-sporting-life

Enjoy over a cup of your overpriced coffee.;)

Bahahaha :p

merantau
12-03-2018, 07:31 PM
That '85 Prelim was a lost opportunity for sure. Who was supposed to be on Leigh Matthews? One Brad Hardie I believe.

LostDoggy
12-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Was great to hear from Chocco. Thought he spoke very well. Thanks for the link.

Ozza
13-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Look forward to giving it a listen.

I was watching the 85' semi final fairly recently (v North Melbourne). Dougie was noted as best on ground in that game and had 38 possessions (Doug also says its the best game he's played). But Choco's game was phenomenal also. First half he plays as a rover, second half as a forward pocket. And finishes with 21 possessions and 5 goals (if I recall correctly).

Twodogs
13-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Look forward to giving it a listen.

I was watching the 85' semi final fairly recently (v North Melbourne). Dougie was noted as best on ground in that game and had 38 possessions (Doug also says its the best game he's played). But Choco's game was phenomenal also. First half he plays as a rover, second half as a forward pocket. And finishes with 21 possessions and 5 goals (if I recall correctly).

Yep pretty sure it was 5 goals. I always remember how Brian would kick a goal and run back to the middle shaking his head because the king hit merchants used to dine out on Choco because he always played the ball and left himself open to a head knock as he was going for the ball. He always did it. Trying to get the stars out of his brain before the next centre bounce.

Choco. Bang. Goal He was a star was Brian Royal.

ledge
13-03-2018, 01:47 PM
I remember some highlights including fruitcake and shorty Daniels that day, think it was shortys best game as well.

Twodogs
13-03-2018, 02:24 PM
I remember some highlights including fruitcake and shorty Daniels that day, think it was shortys best game as well.

Straight after Beasley kicks his 100th and the ground clears and everyone settles down again Daniels kicks one of the most amazing goals I've ever seen. He snapped the ball across his body from the centre wing at the MCG. The ball had barely travelled forward from the centre bounce when Shorty picks it up and without turning to face the goals even he just slings it on his boot and the ball tracks as if it had been shot out of rocket launcher. It just kept going and going.

Sometimes it's just your day.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
13-03-2018, 04:23 PM
He was always applying for senior coaching jobs but never got one

bornadog
13-03-2018, 05:37 PM
A great listen, have always loved Choco and isn't Peter Donegan great. Don't know why he doesn't call AFL football.

Ozza
13-03-2018, 05:57 PM
A great listen, have always loved Choco and isn't Peter Donegan great. Don't know why he doesn't call AFL football.

He does call footy - for Crocmedia.

bornadog
13-03-2018, 09:53 PM
He does call footy - for Crocmedia.
I was thinking more TV side

Twodogs
13-03-2018, 10:31 PM
I was thinking more TV side

He has a good head for radio I guess. I'm mystified as to why he isn't more prominent. Maybe he isn't showy enough, he only mentions the players and where the ball is going. He really only describes the play he doesn't do any of the entertaining added value stuff like the bloke who texts Brian what the crowd number us before the official announcement, I know it's that sort of thing that keeps me watching the footy broadcast.:rolleyes:

He could just be happy calling games and doesn't want all the crap that celebrity brings? I know if I were offered Brian Taylor's life or Brian Donergans's life who I would take. Weekends calling footy and not getting pestered when I'm out sounds about perfect.

ledge
14-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Donegan was always a horse racing man.
Quality guy

Axe Man
14-03-2018, 02:42 PM
He has a good head for radio I guess. I'm mystified as to why he isn't more prominent. Maybe he isn't showy enough, he only mentions the players and where the ball is going. He really only describes the play he doesn't do any of the entertaining added value stuff like the bloke who texts Brian what the crowd number us before the official announcement, I know it's that sort of thing that keeps me watching the footy broadcast.:rolleyes:

He could just be happy calling games and doesn't want all the crap that celebrity brings? I know if I were offered Brian Taylor's life or Brian Donergans's life who I would take. Weekends calling footy and not getting pestered when I'm out sounds about perfect.

That's one too many Brians for this thread!

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 03:22 PM
That's one too many Brians for this thread!

I had Brians on the brain.

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 03:24 PM
"We've got a Brian sir" ;)

"Very well I welease Bwian of Nazaweth!"

Eastdog
17-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Will give this a listen soon.

Remi Moses
19-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Tremendous interview
Class act is Peter Donergan
Choco was extremely unlucky not to get a coaching gig, and was a victim of applying for to many vacancies.

Mofra
19-03-2018, 05:56 PM
They replayed the interview at 11pm Saturday night, lucky for me driving home.
Have to love Chocko's passion for the club

Twodogs
19-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Tremendous interview
Class act is Peter Donergan
Choco was extremely unlucky not to get a coaching gig, and was a victim of applying for to many vacancies.

He's still one of the best skills coaches around. Our guys could do with some tuition from him.

Twodogs
08-04-2018, 12:55 PM
I'm listening to this now and I am really frustrated. There used to be a saying, "if you want to learn to kick then get Brian Royal to teach you."

Our players can't hit the side of a barn by foot and the best skills coach (who is one of the greatest ex bulldogs champion) in the game is working on building sites. *!*!*!*! that makes me angry.

Axe Man
21-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Stiff!

Footscray Flashback: No votes for Royal’s commanding game (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-06-21/footscray-flashback-no-votes-for-royals-commanding-game?fbclid=IwAR2pIZ9HGLEV_hFj7Ugji9-ill1Jx8LivHNEUnvDtj8itfdbaFPJ20VffRs)

Imagine Marcus Bontempelli having a day out, even by his lofty standards, and kicking a bag of seven goals to go along with 30 possessions, more than any other player on the ground.

If it came as part of a big Bulldogs win, you would expect the Bont to go close to receiving the full 10 coaches votes.

And you would almost guarantee that he would receive three Brownlow Medal votes.

Rewind 33 years, though, and things weren't quite the same. On this day in 1986, 24-year-old Bulldog Brian Royal did exactly that.

As a rover switching occasionally onto the forward line, 'Choco' collected 30 touches in his 81st game, and kicked seven majors, a career high.

Sound like a best-on-ground performance? Well the umpires of the day, Well the umpires of the day, John Russo and Mike Sneddon, didn't quite see it that way. Royal's seven-goal, 30-touch performance wasn't enough to warrant a single vote from them.

So just who did get their votes? Former Bomber big Max Crow earned a vote for kicking four goals from a forward pocket, which went with his work as a back-up ruckman to Andrew Purser.

Two votes went to Dancin' Doug Hawkins, who displayed his typical mastery of the Western Oval outer wing, gathering 29 possessions and kicking a goal.

And the three votes went to skipper Rick Kennedy. That's right — the full back got three Brownlow votes. In today's midfielder-dominated world, full backs could only dream of collecting maximum votes from the umpires.

The umpires' votes were a reflection of the time. In Monday's Age after the game, Patrick Smithers' votes were very much in accord with those of the men in white.

He gave Hawkins his best-on-ground vote, followed by Crow and Kennedy. He did, though, manage to sneak Royal in as the fourth-best player on the ground.

Very much a team-first player, Brian Royal would no doubt have not complained at all about how the umpires saw his performance come Brownlow Medal night.

But it's hard to look back 33 years on and think the Bulldogs' number 33 was just a little unlucky not to get the three Brownlow votes.

Axe Man
21-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Stiff again!

HOW SELECTION BLUNDER LEFT FORMER DOG STRANDED ON 199 GAMES (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06/17/how-selection-blunder-left-former-dog-stranded-on-199-games/)

AFL Hall of Famer Terry Wallace has recalled how former Footscray rover Brian Royal was left stranded on 199 games.

Royal, a dual All-Australian and Charlie Sutton Medallist, called time on his VFL/AFL career in 1993 after a nasty Achilles injury left him one game short of magic 200-mark.

But speaking on SEN’s KB and The Doc, Wallace revealed a selection oversight cost Royal the chance to notch his 200th game for the Bulldogs.

“Brian Royal finished on 199 games, got dropped, and no one realised at the club that he was on 199,” Wallace said.

“He was going to play in his 200th, the side was selected, and he rang the coach (Terry Wheeler), and the coach apologised; said he had no idea.

“They said: ‘We will play you next week’ … he did his Achilles in the reserves and never got the opportunity.”

Following his retirement, Royal moved into coaching and enjoyed assistant roles at Melbourne, St Kilda, Richmond and the Dogs.

He was inducted into the Footscray-Western Bulldogs' Hall of Fame in 2012.