PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 side

Rocco Jones
11-03-2018, 09:11 PM
How do you think we will/should go in terms of picking our 22?

B: Wood, Adams, Naughton
HB: Crozier, Cordy, Biggs
C: Hunter, Macrae, Dahl
HF: JJ, Bont, Picken
F: Dale, Trengove, Dunkley
R: Roughy, McLean, Libba
I/C: Suckling, Williams, Daniel, Jong

Just a few thoughts broken up into the zones/areas..

Backline
- I like the idea of going in a bit smaller, however without Morris, feel we really need to play Wood there. I think it will help Naughton too in a 3-4 role. Adams, Wood and Naughton give us some intercept marking options. Biggs also helps out with the team defence. I am a bit bullish about the back line but can also see it being exploited.

Midfield
- Thank god Libbas seems to be back. His value is immense. Obviously great in tight but his decision making is really underrated and is as clutch as we get kicking for goal.
- Bont is clearly our both our best midfield and forward. I think we have just scratched the surface of his brilliance and he can mix time in midfield and forward like the truly rate elite can.
- The depth falls away a bit and we need guys to really be competitive to let Bont free wheel.

Forward
- Mentioned Bont, makes up a bit for our lack of decent tall forwards but he cannot do everything.
- Massive fan of JJ up forward, would have him as a bit of a 'swingman' which is so in vogue, but if he is going well forward, I'd just keep him there. At the very least it is great to have another option as it can be hard to break a tag off HBF.
- Really would love Tom Boyd fit.

Rucks
- Very happy with Trengove
- Roughy... just to me he isn't a first ruck and isn't great as a forward. It's a tough one. Again really hope Boyd can be okay mentally and physically as he can add a huge amount of value to a side without needing to star.

Bulldog Joe
11-03-2018, 09:25 PM
I really want Trengove playing back. He is the best we have to combat Patton.

Twodogs
11-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Roughy Adams Biggs
Crozier Naughton Suckling
Hunter Macrae Dale
JJ Cordy Dahl
Dunkley Bont Maclean
Trengove Jong Libba
Williams Suckling Wood Picken

I have to think about Williams. I went with the players that Rocco went with but in different positions because I wanted a more structured forward line. But I think I want one more tall and Williams is the obvious omission.

azabob
11-03-2018, 10:56 PM
TD, do you have one too many on the HF line?

Twodogs
11-03-2018, 11:11 PM
TD, do you have one too many on the HF line?

Good pick up. Not any more.

bornadog
11-03-2018, 11:19 PM
I really want Trengove playing back. He is the best we have to combat Patton.

I agree, the GWS talls will kill us. Trengove must play Fullback

Doc26
12-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Not about round 1, but just hearing from Josh Kennedy from the Eagles that he is unlikely to return from injury until round 3.
Given we play them in round 2, this is a very handy out for us given his danger to our defense.

bornadog
12-03-2018, 12:33 PM
We need a strong backline to launch our attack.

My Team I would like but will probably not happen:

B: Crozier, Trengove, Naughton
HB: Wood, Adams, Biggs
C: JJ, Macrae, Hunter
HF Dahl, Schache, Picken
F: Mclean, Tom Boyd, Cordy
R: Roughy, Bont, Libba
I/C: Suckling, Williams, Daniel, Dunkley

GVGjr
12-03-2018, 12:36 PM
B: Biggs - Adams - Wood
HB: Crozier - Cordy - Suckling
C: Hunter - Macrae - Dale
HF: Bontempelli - Naughton - Johannisen
F: Dahlhaus - Trengove - Dunkley
R: Roughead - Liberatore - McLean
I/C: Suckling - Boyd - Daniel - Dickson

I'll look at some modifications in the next week.
Cordy for a direct swap with either Trengove or Naughton is a chance. I gather we are currently somewhat committed to Trengove up forward at the moment. I'm not sure if Picken will be ready

Twodogs
12-03-2018, 01:09 PM
Not about round 1, but just hearing from Josh Kennedy from the Eagles that he is unlikely to return from injury until round 3.
Given we play them in round 2, this is a very handy out for us given his danger to our defense.

I look forward to him not dining out on us for once.

whythelongface
12-03-2018, 02:12 PM
B: Crozier - Adams - Naughton
HB: Wood - Cordy - Biggs
C: Dale - Macrae - Hunter
HF Dahlhaus - Bontempelli - Johannisen
F: Picken - Trengrove - Dickson
R: Roughead - Mclean - Liberatore
I/C: Suckling - Williams - Daniel - Dunkley

If Boyd is fit to play would swap for Trengrove in forward line. Trengrove would go to FB with Cordy dropping out and Adams at CHB.

kruder
12-03-2018, 09:08 PM

Cordy for a direct swap with either Trengove or Naughton is a chance. I gather we are currently somewhat committed to Trengove up forward at the moment. I'm not sure if Picken will be ready

Nice team I like the idea of Cordy or Naughton up forward with Wood back for sure. I'd love to see Boyd in the side but just cant see it considering we chose not to play him in the JLT. Where do you think Dickson is at? I've always been a fan but hasn't found the ball for a while now he really needs a strong start to the season.

GVGjr
12-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Nice team I like the idea of Cordy or Naughton up forward with Wood back for sure. I'd love to see Boyd in the side but just cant see it considering we chose not to play him in the JLT. Where do you think Dickson is at? I've always been a fan but hasn't found the ball for a while now he really needs a strong start to the season.

Dickson looked to be a bit off the mark on Saturday and there might be a chance that the likes of Picken would be ahead of him.

Naughton could play forward because he reads the play so well

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-03-2018, 11:57 PM
B. Biggs Adams Naughton
HB. Wood Cordy JJ
C. Macrae Libba Williams
HF. Dahl Trengrove Dale
F. Picken Schache Dunkley
R. Roughead Bont Maclean
Int. Crozier Daniel Hunter Suckling
The return of Biggs Wood and JJ would help consolidate a defence that looked rattled last week. Schache is preferred to TBoyd at FF given his limited preparation. Happy to see Crozier used at half forward as another goal kicking option. Williams to add pace in the midfield instead of Hunter who lacks pace.

Go_Dogs
13-03-2018, 07:33 PM
I have absolutely no idea how we will line up, but:-

Williams, Adams, Naughton
Biggs, Cordy, Crozier
Hunter, Liberatore, Jong
JJ, Wood, McLean
Dale, Trengove, Dahlhaus
Roughead, Bontempelli, Macrae
Daniel, Dunkley, Suckling, Williams

ratsmac
13-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Roughy Adams Biggs
Crozier Naughton Suckling
Hunter Macrae Dale
JJ Cordy Dahl
Dunkley Bont Maclean
Trengove Jong Libba
Williams Suckling Wood Picken

I have to think about Williams. I went with the players that Rocco went with but in different positions because I wanted a more structured forward line. But I think I want one more tall and Williams is the obvious omission.

Last year Suckers was a bit of a whipping boy, this year he gets 2 spots!!

If we were going to have 2 of anyone it would have to be the Bont surely!!

bornadog
13-03-2018, 09:55 PM

good pickup

Ozza
14-03-2018, 12:46 PM
I'm certain Tom Boyd won't play - but I'd personally pick him for round 1 - and allow Trengove to be flexible.
Wood in defence definitely.
Have Williams just out at this stage - makes too many errors but isn't far off. Schache probably a fair way off. Dickson, to me, seems like his body needs a good amount of match fitness for him to produce good footy.

BACKS: Wood; Adams; Naughton
Biggs; Cordy; Crozier
CENTRE: Hunter; Liberatore; Johannisen
FRWDS: McLean; Boyd; Picken
Dahlhaus; Trengove; Dunkley

FOLL: Roughead; Bontempelli; Macrae

INT: Suckling, Dale; Daniel; Jong

Emerg: Schache; Williams; Dickson

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 03:26 PM

Yeah, I'm watching you.

good pickup

You too are on the list...

:cool:

Mofra
15-03-2018, 11:55 AM
I'm certain Tom Boyd won't play - but I'd personally pick him for round 1 - and allow Trengove to be flexible.
Wood in defence definitely.
I'm far more concerned about GWS's running ability than I am their tall forwards. Their midfield group are probably the best runners of any in the comp so I wouldn't play Tom Boyd, I'd go with just Trengove and Roughy and get an extra runner in the side or at least a mid/forward who can take a rotation through the middle.

dukedog
18-03-2018, 08:22 AM
No Adams for half the year, big loss!

G-Mo77
18-03-2018, 09:02 AM
No Adams for half the year, big loss!

It is but we haven't had him for the past 2 seasons either. It'll probably force Wood into the back half which isn't a bad thing

GVGjr
19-03-2018, 07:42 PM

I need to have another look at this with the injury list mounting

B: Biggs - Roberts - Naughton
HB: Crozier - Cordy - Johannisen
C: Hunter - McLean - Dale
HF: Bontempelli - Wood - Suckling
F: Macrae - Trengove - Dunkley
R: Roughead - Liberatore - Dahlhaus
I/C: Daniel - Dickson - Young - Jong

Emg: Schache - Wallis - Williams

Rocket Science
19-03-2018, 11:39 PM
I need to have another look at this with the injury list mounting

B: Biggs - Roberts - Naughton
HB: Crozier - Cordy - Johannisen
C: Hunter - McLean - Dale
HF: Bontempelli - Wood - Suckling
F: Macrae - Trengove - Dunkley
R: Roughead - Liberatore - Dahlhaus
I/C: Daniel - Dickson - Young - Jong

Emg: Schache - Wallis - Williams

It's as balanced a side as we can reasonably muster right now but if their mids get a run on that backline's going to get slaughtered I fear.

ratsmac
20-03-2018, 12:25 AM
It's as balanced a side as we can reasonably muster right now but if their mids get a run on that backline's going to get slaughtered I fear.

That fact that we can run Wood, Trengove, Young and possibly Roughead as other defensive options is a bit of a saving grace if things turn bad I suppose.

Mantis
20-03-2018, 11:11 AM
The side I think we will go with.. mine doesn't look the same, but I think we are too far down the track to change.

B: Biggs, Cordy, Williams
HB: Suckling, Naughton, Crozier
C: Dale, Macrae, Hunter
HF: McLean, Wood, JJ
F: Dahlhaus, Trengove, Dunkley
R: Roughead, Bont, Libba

Int: Jong, Daniel, HC, Schache

Ozza
20-03-2018, 11:27 AM
The side I think we will go with.. mine doesn't look the same, but I think we are too far down the track to change.

I agree that this is the likely side. But it isn't one that fills me with confidence.

I personally wouldn't be playing HC or Schache. I'd have Wood and Trengove play in defence given the opposition - I'd play Tom Boyd so that Trengove is flexible (defence/attack/rather than some time in the ruck).

Mantis
20-03-2018, 11:37 AM
I agree that this is the likely side. But it isn't one that fills me with confidence.

I personally wouldn't be playing HC or Schache. I'd have Wood and Trengove play in defence given the opposition - I'd play Tom Boyd so that Trengove is flexible (defence/attack/rather than some time in the ruck).

#inBevowetrust

bornadog
20-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Sam Landsberger reporting:

The Western Bulldogs will deploy a “brand new” baby backline against the Giants and there is a big Round 1 bolter in the selection frame

Mantis
20-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Is the bolter Gowers?

Axe Man
20-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Western Bulldogs hard nut Liam Picken has been sidelined indefinitely with concussion (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-hard-nut-liam-picken-has-been-sidelined-indefinitely-with-concussion/news-story/abf179581421b45b19bfcbfbe6daaab3)

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership hero Liam Picken is the latest player to be ruled out indefinitely with concussion.

Picken, 31, suffered a second heavy knock inside 12 months and was stretchered off the Ballarat field during the pre-season win against Hawthorn on March 3.

He will not play against Greater Western Sydney on Sunday — 22 days later.

In Round 3 last year Picken lay motionless on the ground after his head collided with Fremantle’s Tom Sheridan.

The hard nut played six days later and has missed just four matches since 2010.

The Bulldogs said on Monday night they would take a conservative approach with their much-loved utility and 2016 finals star.

Picken, who is contracted for 2019 and shared the Bulldogs’ goalkicking with Jake Stringer last year, will continue non-contact training at Whitten Oval.

The Bulldogs will deploy a baby backline against the Giants with Dale Morris (knee) and Marcus Adams (ankle) injured and captain Easton Wood set to play in attack.

No. 9 draft pick Aaron Naughton will debut in a defence including premiership forward Zaine Cordy as they battle the likes of Jeremy Cameron, Jon Patton and Rory Lobb.

The 194cm Naughton turned 18 after he was drafted but has been a summer standout as an intercepting defender.

Fletcher Roberts and Lewis Young are likely to contend for the third key defensive post following Adams’ blow last week.

Roberts and Young did not feature in the pre-season.

The new-look backline has undergone a makeover since the departures of Joel Hamling (Fremantle), Matthew Boyd and Bob Murphy (retired) and Wood’s move forward.

“We’re evolving,” coach Luke Beveridge said.

“We’ve got a brand new back end (and) we’ve got new players playing in different positions.

“Last year seems like an eternity ago and two or three years ago seems like a lifetime ago.

“It is brand new.”

The Bulldogs will use ex-Fremantle forward Hayden Crozier as a running defender while key forwards Tom Boyd and Josh Schache are likely to begin the season in the VFL.

Ruckman Tim English is in the selection frame and understood to be closer to senior action than both Boyd and Schache.

Full-forward Jack Redpath is unavailable until Round 2 because of a suspension hanging over from late last year.

lemmon
20-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Sam Landsberger reporting both Schache and Boyd will play VFL

bornadog
20-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Bevo Press Conference:

* It is the uncertainty that requires us to use the word indefinite. Picko had concussion last year & he wasn’t right for a little while. He’s telling us the moment he isn’t right. We need to make good decisions for Liam & his future.

* I imagine Picko will play again, but that will be up to him & consultation with the Club doctors

* Dale’s facing same rehab as Gia, and he’s a resilient guy so he’s in good spirit. He knows he’s a fair way off, the medical staff are confident he’ll be right mid year.

* It is the uncertainty that requires us to use the word indefinite. Picko had concussion last year & he wasn’t right for a little while. He’s telling us the moment he isn’t right. We need to make good decisions for Liam & his future.

* We got to continue to understand that on a big field, you can’t get access to players like NBA, EPL. We need to get messages to our players.

* It was important for me (to keep the runner). We go in with plans week to week & to manage those plans we need to relay information. You need runners for that.

* Our backend has always played well when they’ve played in a systematic fashion. We think we can improve really quickly at both ends.

* We’ve seen enough good signs in our match practice, simulation that it will transfer at the level. Easton will start the season forward.

* Easton’s teammates have found him hard to play on (up forward). His athletic profile in this code is almost second to none. It’s early stages of a journey for us.

* The signs are encouraging (for Libba), his teammates have been vocal about how encouraged they’ve been. Especially his attention to detail.

* Aaron will play, we think he’ll hold himself in the right way

* Bevo also not very happy about the content of THIS (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-free-agent-luke-dahlhaus-a-high-priority-for-several-rival-clubs/news-story/cc2077bffa951a63dc35c2e287b42882)article and says it is completely untrue.

Mantis
20-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Also mentioned that reports Dahl, Libba and Clay were shopped around at trade time are a lie.

always right
20-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Wood must move back to defence. Adams a real loss.......yet again.

I think we need Trengove as our big bodied defender supported by Cordy and Naughton. We need Roughead to make it through the game unscathed as our ruckman......good luck.

Mantis
20-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Wood must move back to defence. Adams a real loss.......yet again.

I think we need Trengove as our big bodied defender supported by Cordy and Naughton. We need Roughead to make it through the game unscathed as our ruckman......good luck.

If Trengove & Wood go back who plays as our key forwards?

Happy Days
20-03-2018, 04:04 PM
If Trengove & Wood go back who plays as our key forwards?

Boyd and Schache...oh wait.

I'm pretty down to not play one. If I learned anything from Richmond's flag its that teams have to learn to accentuate their positives and hide their negatives.

If no one is good enough to play AFL as a KPF then don't try and force it.

Mantis
20-03-2018, 04:38 PM

I'm pretty down to not play one. If I learned anything from Richmond's flag its that teams have to learn to accentuate their positives and hide their negatives.

That's ok if you play to your strengths, but our incessant need to bomb the ball forward doesn't suit our personnel at all.

I would rather we kick it along the ground to space than long and direct to the 'hot spot'.

Mofra
20-03-2018, 04:58 PM

Richmond had Jack Riewoldt who is one of the best KPFs in the competition and is arguably the best KPF in the comp for applying defensive pressure. Teams will always need that get out kick on a slow F50 entry - right now it seems Trengove & Roughy will tandem the role.

Twodogs
20-03-2018, 05:11 PM
That's ok if you play to your strengths, but our incessant need to bomb the ball forward doesn't suit our personnel at all.

I would rather we kick it along the ground to space than long and direct to the 'hot spot'.

I don't know why this isn't a thing. Teams mostly try to bring the ball to the ground in their forward 50 so why not kick it along the ground?

bornadog
20-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Full Press conference here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2018-03-20/press-conference-luke-beveridge-rd1)

Bevo says at the end Roughead is ok and will play.

Happy Days
20-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Richmond had Jack Riewoldt who is one of the best KPFs in the competition and is arguably the best KPF in the comp for applying defensive pressure. Teams will always need that get out kick on a slow F50 entry - right now it seems Trengove & Roughy will tandem the role.

Not to say it's a like-for-like comparison, more just in principled thought.

kruder
20-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Full Press conference here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2018-03-20/press-conference-luke-beveridge-rd1)

Bevo says at the end Roughead is ok and will play.

He basically said that Boyd and Schache won't play also.

Cyberdoggie
20-03-2018, 10:43 PM
He basically said that Boyd and Schache won't play also.

Jake Stringer our only tall?.....oh wait. :(

Cyberdoggie
20-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Not sure what our best forward line would be against the giants.

I thought Dicko looked really rusty but he's the type that will be good against them.

I'm guessing Wood and Bont will spend a lot of time forward.

jeemak
20-03-2018, 11:39 PM

Now you're going to get TD saying MAD BALL strategy should be a thing......good work....*

*I genuinely hand't scrolled down when I posted.......

jeemak
20-03-2018, 11:41 PM

The way people carry on, it's like they won a flag with a 182cm Brad Johnson at FF.

jeemak
20-03-2018, 11:45 PM
I'd put Trengove back this week, and play Cordy forward with Wood.

Cordy only 18 months ago proved he can compete against GWS defenders and kick a few, Trengove can play on the bigger players.

always right
20-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Can’t remember a tougher opening round to select our side against a top side interstate with so many of our players unavailable in key positions.

I’ll give it a go.

B: Crozier, Cordy, Biggs
HB: Suckling, Trengove, Naughton
C: Hunter, MaCrae, Johannisen
HF: McLean, Bontempelli, Daniel
F: Dahlhaus, Wood, Dale
R: Roughead, Jong, Libba
I: Dickson, Williams, Dunkley, Smith

soupman
21-03-2018, 12:48 AM
Btw is there any consideration given to who GWS have in defence?

This is likely what they are running with:
B: N. Haynes, P. Davis, H. Shaw
HB: L. Whitfield, A. Corr, A. Tomlinson
J. Finlayson off the bench.

That is two more traditional key defenders in Corr and Davis, 2 more mobile talls in Finlayson and Tomlinson, one Easton Wood type in Haynes, one genuinely good user in Whitfield and the wild card in Shaw. I believe the only fit smaller defenders they have in reserve are guys like 3 gamer Perryman.

So why would we try to force someone like Boyd or Schache into a side so that it validates and assists the height of their backline.

Surely the game plan must be to play smalls, kick to space or along the ground, swarm the ball and apply heaps of defensive pressure on a top heavy backline. Dunkley will play as a key tall and his role will be to bring the ball to ground, Trengove is our only realistic high ball target, the rest are just to make their tall defenders struggle. Boyd or Schache just means that one of their defenders gets to feel comfortable again as they are playing on a mediocre version of the player they usually take.

mjp
21-03-2018, 01:10 AM
Whitfield needs a tag if he plays half back.

jeemak
21-03-2018, 01:17 AM
Btw is there any consideration given to who GWS have in defence?

This is likely what they are running with:
B: N. Haynes, P. Davis, H. Shaw
HB: L. Whitfield, A. Corr, A. Tomlinson
J. Finlayson off the bench.

That is two more traditional key defenders in Corr and Davis, 2 more mobile talls in Finlayson and Tomlinson, one Easton Wood type in Haynes, one genuinely good user in Whitfield and the wild card in Shaw. I believe the only fit smaller defenders they have in reserve are guys like 3 gamer Perryman.

So why would we try to force someone like Boyd or Schache into a side so that it validates and assists the height of their backline.

Surely the game plan must be to play smalls, kick to space or along the ground, swarm the ball and apply heaps of defensive pressure on a top heavy backline. Dunkley will play as a key tall and his role will be to bring the ball to ground, Trengove is our only realistic high ball target, the rest are just to make their tall defenders struggle. Boyd or Schache just means that one of their defenders gets to feel comfortable again as they are playing on a mediocre version of the player they usually take.

That’s why I want Cordy there instead of Trengove. Once it’s on the deck or on the way out he is superior.

Axe Man
21-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Can’t remember a tougher opening round to select our side against a top side interstate with so many of our players unavailable in key positions.

I’ll give it a go.

Which Smith is that? Clay isn't right and I can't see Roarke getting a gig.

Mantis
21-03-2018, 10:34 AM

I’ll give it a go.

I can't see how Smith plays given the weeks missed with knee soreness... Dickson is also underdone.

That forwardline won't be able to compete in the air at all so I think English plays and we have Roughy & Trengove play forward or back.

Axe Man
21-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Rough and ready: Big Bulldog set to play (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-03-21/rough-and-ready-big-bulldog-set-to-play)

Bulldogs ruckman Jordan Roughead has overcome a hip injury and will be available for the Western Bulldogs' clash with Greater Western Sydney in Canberra on Sunday, says coach Luke Beveridge.

The 27-year-old fell awkwardly on the cricket pitch area of Moe's Ted Summerton Oval during the JLT Community Series match with Collingwood on March 10.

He was immediately taken from the field, but returned a short time later before finally conceding to the injury.

Beveridge told AFL.com.au Roughead had recovered well from the knock and trained at "100 per cent" on Monday.

With the Dogs already missing important trio Liam Picken (concussion), Marcus Adams (ankle) and Dale Morris (knee), the availability of Roughead is a major fillip.

"We think Jordan will be OK, he trained strongly (on Monday), so he'll be available this week," Beveridge said.

"He just twisted his hip a little bit and had to come off, we then put him back on, but that's settled down now."

In further good news for the club's big-man department, second-year ruckman Tim English has had a strong pre-season and will be considered for the clash against the Giants.

Taken with pick 19 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, the West Australian has a rare mix of contested marking and clean hands below his knees for a player of 206cm.

After two encouraging games last season, English has added plenty of bulk to his slender frame and Beveridge is optimistic the 20-year-old can be a regular for the Dogs in 2018.

The Dogs have strong competition for spots in the ruck position, with English vying with Roughead, Tom Campbell and versatile big men Tom Boyd and Josh Schache for what's likely to be two spots in the side.

"Tim is a chance to come into the side this week, so my philosophy is why not find out (whether he's ready) than be totally sure and wait three years to find out," Beveridge said.

"He'll get a run at (senior football) because he's shown here playing and training against his teammates that he is more than competitive and very influential.

"We weren't sure how quickly he'd come on, but he's more than 100kg now, and at 206cm, his teammates have never had anyone who can play against opponents five or six centimetres shorter than him.

"For such a big guy, he's really agile and very clean below his knees.

"He's also a threat (aerially), so teams will have to grab him going for his marks, and he'll get a free kick or two from that."

bornadog
21-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Whitfield needs a tag if he plays half back.

He is also very quick, so may be hard to hold him down.

Happy Days
21-03-2018, 11:21 AM
I actually don't hate picking English here - he can be competitive with Lobb (who's really more of a finesse ruck than a brute) and Simpson (who is a disgrace).

Mantis
21-03-2018, 11:29 AM
I actually don't hate picking English here - he can be competitive with Lobb (who's really more of a finesse ruck than a brute) and Simpson (who is a disgrace).

Is Lobb even likely to play? Didn't played a JLT game so a big call to play him fresh/underdone.

Happy Days
21-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Is Lobb even likely to play? Didn't played a JLT game so a big call to play him fresh/underdone.

He played a NEAFL practice and everything I've read says that he definitely could be picked. Think he's in the same boat as Naitanui.

Mofra
21-03-2018, 11:56 AM
He played a NEAFL practice and everything I've read says that he definitely could be picked. Think he's in the same boat as Naitanui.
Mumford (now the Giants ruck coach) indicated that it's neck and neck between Lobb and Simpson.
If Lobb is picked they'll want some decent ruck support as I assume he'd be on reduced minutes in the centre.

Twodogs
21-03-2018, 12:18 PM
I'd fancy my chances against Dawson Simpson. I got into an animated discussion with a GWS (who finally admitted to being a Geelong supporter wearing a Dawson Simpson jumper) supporter at Etihad last year about how good Simson was. Good thing he had cleared off by the time Dal hot kicked in the face or I might have gotten really angry with him.

Axe Man
21-03-2018, 12:22 PM
I'd fancy my chances against Dawson Simpson. I got into an animated discussion with a GWS (who finally admitted to being a Geelong supporter wearing a Dawson Simpson jumper) supporter at Etihad last year about how good Simson was. Good thing he had cleared off by the time Dal hot kicked in the face or I might have gotten really angry with him.

I think you also claimed you could take Mason Cox before he destroyed us in the JLT. Twodogs for the mid season draft!

The Doctor
21-03-2018, 12:59 PM
B: Cordy, Trengove, Biggs

HB: JJ, Wood, Dale

C: Hunter, McLean, Crozier

HF: Dahlhaus, Bontempelli, Dunkley

F: Dickson, Boyd, Smith

R: Roughead, Macrae, Liberatore

Int: English, Daniel, Naughton, Wallis

EMG: Schache, Suckling, Williams

Unavailable: Morris, Adams, Picken

Twodogs
21-03-2018, 02:20 PM
I think you also claimed you could take Mason Cox before he destroyed us in the JLT. Twodogs for the mid season draft!

A discreet elbow to the rib in a marking contest would take care of mr Cox.

Dawson Simpson's mate would have given me more trouble than Dawson. He would have taken a bit more handling.

always right
21-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Excellent points Soupaman re GWS’s undersized defensive options........which gives us forward structure options......and enables us to have a Roughy/Trengove ruck/forward option and allows us to push Wood back.

A couple of other points;
- I hadn’t realised Clay Smith had not been playing.
- I rate Whitfield as a ball user but quick he ain’t.

Here’s my revised team for the opening round;

HB: Suckling, Wood, Naughton
F: Dahlhaus, Trengove, Dale
I: Dickson, Williams, Dunkley, Honeychurch

1eyedog
21-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Excellent points Soupaman re GWS’s undersized defensive options........which gives us forward structure options......and enables us to have a Roughy/Trengove ruck/forward option and allows us to push Wood back.

Whitfield is fast enough. He's quick and runs 'fast' all day. Jong may be able to tag him off half back if fit but he ain't.

always right
21-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Agree Whitfield is fast and fit enough for AFL......just don’t consider him quick. Despite lack of fitness, wouldn’t mind seeing Dickson run straight up to Shaw to dredge up demons from the prelim final.

bornadog
21-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Updated following injuries:

B: Crozier, Roberts, Naughton
HB:Suckling, Cordy, Biggs
C: JJ, Macrae, Hunter
HF Dahl, Wood, Dunkley
F: Mclean, Trengove, Daniel
R: Roughy, Bont, Libba
I/C: English, Williams, HC, Jong

Twodogs
21-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Whitfield us quick enough to lead a lot of the blokes in our team to the ball. Stopping him using it effectively when he gets it will be our focus I would think, that will be difficult enough.

ratsmac
21-03-2018, 09:54 PM
I don't know why this isn't a thing. Teams mostly try to bring the ball to the ground in their forward 50 so why not kick it along the ground?

I like it, cut out the middle man.

LostDoggy
21-03-2018, 11:15 PM

Please don't play Honeychurch. Tough but lacks skill.

always right
21-03-2018, 11:20 PM
Agree.....first one out with players back. Honest trier. Perhaps Lucas Webb should be given first crack but not his form is good enough.

hujsh
21-03-2018, 11:38 PM
I don't feel like we're going to pick our best team and am very pesimistic about this game and the upcoming season (and whether we'll ever develop another good forward again let alone a Key like Boyd or Schache).

And it's not like we've played poorly or anything but why have a team of 'versatiles' if we don't move Wood back when there are injuries down back or put Trengove back and bring Boyd in when Adams goes down. I don't see what it is we're actually trying to achieve at this point and it feels like the focus in in the wrong areas.

bornadog
21-03-2018, 11:40 PM

I agree but I think he will play

Eastdog
21-03-2018, 11:43 PM
I don't feel like we're going to pick our best team and am very pesimistic about this game and the upcoming season (and whether we'll ever develop another good forward again let alone a Key like Boyd or Schache).

And it's not like we've played poorly or anything but why have a team of 'versatiles' if we don't move Wood back when there are injuries down back or put Trengove back and bring Boyd in when Adams goes down. I don't see what it is we're actually trying to achieve at this point and it feels like the focus in in the wrong areas.

Maybe Bevo knows something we don't. He may have something up his sleeve :)

always right
21-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Agree.....first one out with players back. Honest trier. Prefer Webb.

Eastdog
21-03-2018, 11:47 PM
Will Bevo at the last minute throw Wood back to the defence?

MrMahatma
22-03-2018, 01:36 AM
Maybe Bevo knows something we don't. He may have something up his sleeve :)

I kept thinking this way all 2017. "Bevo is just waiting to pull the trigger and we'll find form and be a threat again"... but alas, the man is but human, and therefore capable of making bad decisions. IMO, Wood forward is one. We're saying we're happy to trade a gun defender for a tryer up fwd.

Would you trade Wood for Ty Vikery? We're kind of doing that.

Mofra
22-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Whitfield us quick enough to lead a lot of the blokes in our team to the ball. Stopping him using it effectively when he gets it will be our focus I would think, that will be difficult enough.
Jong as a defensive forward?
Is one of the quickest blokes on the field and strong in the air, could work as a mismatch.

The Pedge
22-03-2018, 09:53 AM
B: Williams, Cordy, Biggs
HF: McLean, Wood, Dale
R: Roughead, Bontempelli, Libba
I: Dickson, Daniel, Jong, Young

Twodogs
22-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Jong as a defensive forward?
Is one of the quickest blokes on the field and strong in the air, could work as a mismatch.

Bevo doesn't really plan tags, he kind of waits then puts out fires if he has to. Dale is the type that could really hurt them the other way with his ball use I'd like us to start with him. If Whitfield doesn't win the contest and clear the ball Dale stays dangerous.

I want to see Lin Jong running away from contested situations bouncing the ball. That's what he's best at and I hope he can still do it after the injury.

Axe Man
22-03-2018, 07:42 PM
https://s7.postimg.org/qeizahvwr/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

GVGjr
22-03-2018, 08:03 PM
I haven't seen enough value in Billy Gowers yet to have him in the side but who knows. In my opinion Webb hasn't quite done enough and Honeychurch and English might need some luck.

Go_Dogs
22-03-2018, 09:04 PM
I haven't seen enough value in Billy Gowers yet to have him in the side but who knows. In my opinion Webb hasn't quite done enough and Honeychurch and English might need some luck.

I agree, Daniel, Williams, Dickson and Jong appear the best credentialed however I wonder whether HC will be favoured based on his fitness compared to Dicko.

Templeton31
22-03-2018, 10:07 PM
E Wood at full forward just looks strange.

Smads57
22-03-2018, 10:57 PM
I reckon it will be English and not Dicko on the bench along with Williams, Daniel and Jong

The bulldog tragician
22-03-2018, 10:58 PM
15 premiership players in the squad. The team looks quite different, in such a short space of time.

Eastdog
22-03-2018, 11:01 PM
E Wood at full forward just looks strange.

It is very strange for sure.

josie
22-03-2018, 11:18 PM
I’m in the optimistic wagon regarding wood forward. At least he will put good forward pressure on (especially compared to Boyd or Schache) and marks above his height. Having said that our backline looks somewhat inexperienced so hoping our midfield holds their own and then some. Figure Trengove can go back if things not going to plan. I’m hoping bench is Daniel, Jong, Webb or Williams and Dickson. Got a feeling English might play but might depend upon whether it looks like raining during match or after.

Eastdog
22-03-2018, 11:25 PM
I'm hoping Roughy has a good one. A big year for him ahead hopefully.

lemmon
22-03-2018, 11:46 PM
Is Wallis fit? Surely gets a squad spot over Gowers or Honeychurch

1eyedog
23-03-2018, 12:18 AM
Fair way of it

kruder
23-03-2018, 12:36 AM
Anyone bullish going into this? That backline scares me.

1eyedog
23-03-2018, 01:23 AM
Backline won't be a problem it has players that apply pressure and that's where it will be won. High pressure acts with greater numbers around the ball. It's a 50/50 game which is always interesting.

MrMahatma
23-03-2018, 08:09 AM

Squad and positions look quite makeshift to me. I'm not confident but presumably they're picked on form so we'll see...

The Underdog
23-03-2018, 08:38 AM

What’s the opposite of bullish?
I’m that

Rocket Science
23-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Named positions for both squads are taking the piss, but we'd better make a habit of winning first use and minimise handing it back or else that backline's going to get eaten.

That means no aimless bombs forward. Let's see ...

Mantis
23-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Named positions for both squads are taking the piss, but we'd better make a habit of winning first use and minimise handing it back or else that backline's going to get eaten.

That means no aimless bombs forward. Let's see ...

What is the most amount of intercept marks taken in a game?

Might back Nick Haynes to break this number.

bornadog
23-03-2018, 10:23 AM
What is the most amount of intercept marks taken in a game?

Might back Nick Haynes to break this number.

I think Wood may have some influence over that.

bornadog
23-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Billy Gowers has been told he will be playing Sunday.

Axe Man
23-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Billy Gowers has been told he will be playing Sunday.

Another In Bevo We Trust decision because I haven't seen the appeal thus far.

I wonder if that means Dickson won't play?

Mofra
23-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Another In Bevo We Trust decision because I haven't seen the appeal thus far.

I wonder if that means Dickson won't play?
You'd have to assume so.
Seems strange as I didn't think Gowers was overly impressive during JLT.

Mantis
23-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Gowers must meet the 'good citizen' brief :rolleyes:... couldn't have been less impressed by his effort against Collingwood, but the MC must've seen something in his 2 kicks that I didn't.

#inbevowetrust and all that... but seriously doubting why I've forked out a few hundred $$'s to head up to Canberra as I feel I'll be facepalming for most of the game.

bornadog
23-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Gowers must meet the 'good citizen' brief :rolleyes:... couldn't have been less impressed by his effort against Collingwood, but the MC must've seen something in his 2 kicks that I didn't.

#inbevowetrust and all that... but seriously doubting why I've forked out a few hundred $$'s to head up to Canberra as I feel I'll be facepalming for most of the game.

Apparently Bevo has a high opinion of Gowers and there was some robust discussion with Dalrymple on rookie listing him.

Daughter of the West
23-03-2018, 11:30 AM

Have you got something else planned up there other than the football? A visit to the National Gallery? A cycle around Lake Burley Griffin? A tour of Parliament House? I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that you might need something else to look forward to...

LostDoggy
23-03-2018, 03:51 PM
I wonder if we have looked at the weather forecast in selecting the team, Canberra is 80% chance of 10-20 mills of rain and windy on Sunday. Gowers may be a suitable leading/high defensive forward option under those conditions. I reckon the conditions may well suit us, GWS don't generally play well in the wet and I can feel an SCG 2015 type performance in the offing (but I am a total optimist).

Hotdog60
23-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Western Bulldogs

B Fletcher Roberts, Zaine Cordy, Lachie Hunter

HB Shane Biggs, Aaron Naughton, Hayden Crozier

C Matthew Suckling, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae

HF Bailey Dale, Jackson Trengove, Toby McLean

F Luke Dahlhaus, Easton Wood, Jason Johannisen

Fol Jordan Roughead, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley

I/C Mitch Honeychurch, Billy Gowers, Bailey Williams, Tim English

Emg Lukas Webb, Tory Dickson, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong

bornadog
23-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Is that the official team HD60?

Mofra
23-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Is that the official team HD60?
Yep - on AFL website now.

Very interesting bench selections. Caleb Daniel and Jong as emergencies unexpected, English gets the nod

Rocco Jones
23-03-2018, 04:31 PM
Yep - on AFL website now.

Very interesting bench selections. Caleb Daniel and Jong as emergencies unexpected, English gets the nod

Is that the selection of teams or are they automatically putting the last four interchange players as emergencies? It seems odd.

hujsh
23-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Who needs ball use? Why bother playing one of only blokes who can kick the ball well and create space to use it in?

Rocco Jones
23-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Pretty sure those emergencies were last four named on interchange. I’m going with site error.

Smads57
23-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Bulldogs website says team finalised at 5 pm

Rocket Science
23-03-2018, 04:49 PM
If it's legit, how any of those emergencies can't push Honeychurch out of that side is confounding.

I'm sure Bevo has a plan ... then again everyone has a plan until they get punched in the undersized forward line.

bornadog
23-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Bulldogs website says team finalised at 5 pm

That is what has happened in the past.

Daughter of the West
23-03-2018, 05:05 PM
Pretty sure those emergencies were last four named on interchange. I’m going with site error.

Cripes, I hope that's the case.

hujsh
23-03-2018, 05:21 PM
Please let it be so

Rocco Jones
23-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Our season has started with such hope!

bornadog
23-03-2018, 06:05 PM
FINAL TEAM

AFL Round 1 GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 25 March 2018, 1:10pm AEST
Venue: UNSW Canberra Oval

Full back
F Roberts
Z Cordy
L Hunter

Half back
S Biggs
A Naughton
H Crozier

Centreline
M Suckling
T Liberatore
J Macrae

Half forward
B Dale
J Trengove
T McLean

Full forward
L Dahlhaus
E Wood
J Johannisen

Followers
J Roughead
M Bontempelli
J Dunkley

Interchange
M Honeychurch
B Gowers
B Williams

T English

Emergencies
L Webb
T Dickson
C Daniel

The Underdog
23-03-2018, 06:12 PM
Gowers and Honeychurch picked over Daniels. That should go over well with the faithful.

Axe Man
23-03-2018, 06:14 PM
So the team posted earlier was correct.

Did anyone win the TV for correctly picking the side? Well done if you did because who would have predicted that? Really can't understand how Daniel doesn't get a game.

Also Jong is missing from the emergencies list above - they name 4 now.

bornadog
23-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Big English is in

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DY3sCX9VMAIZY03.jpg

bornadog
23-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Four new Bulldogs in making their debut, Crozier, Trengove, Gowers and Naughty.

ReLoad
23-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Our CHF and FF are renowned backmen......

Are we trying to be too smart? Have we conceded this game already?

I'm all glad for fresh blood and giving kids a crack, but gee whiz......

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-03-2018, 06:54 PM
I thought Gowers & Honeychurch were quite ordinary in the last JLT game. Concerning that Wallis, Daniel and Jong, let alone Tom Boyd and Lipinski aren't knocking down the door for Round 1.
I hate being pessimistic leading into Round 1..but I don't think I've felt so underwhelmed by our prospects in a 1st round match since Bevo took over.
I hope my grinchy outlook is unwarranted and that the selected side make me look silly come Sunday arvo

ratsmac
23-03-2018, 07:13 PM
I thought Gowers & Honeychurch were quite ordinary in the last JLT game. Concerning that Wallis, Daniel and Jong, let alone Tom Boyd and Lipinski aren't knocking down the door for Round 1.
I hate being pessimistic leading into Round 1..but I don't think I've felt so underwhelmed by our prospects in a 1st round match since Bevo took over.
I hope my grinchy outlook is unwarranted and that the selected side make me look silly come Sunday arvo

I feel the same as you. I'm actually not even looking forward to Sunday's game for the fear of what will be a belting. I am worried that we have selected a weak team and I'm even more worried that that is the best team we have at round 1. Our emergencies are better than our bench.

Rocket Science
23-03-2018, 07:17 PM
C'mon folks, pessimism's our default setting.

Embrace the doubt, let the dark side flow through you. That way it won't sting so hard when Patton & Cameron combine for double figures.

The bulldog tragician
23-03-2018, 07:26 PM
A very puzzling team. I’m not an avid follower of the pre season form, but Wallis, Young, Lipinski, Webb, Jong, Daniel, Dickson and Schache unable to break in.. T Boyd, where are you at? This seems like an experimental side, not a settled Round one combo. Good starts to the season really matter. Let’s hope we are praising the genius and courage of the match committee on Sunday night.

Grantysghost
23-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Least experienced side of the round .

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2018, 07:37 PM
I’ve been very critical of our coaching and match selection ever since we won the flag and this certainly doesn’t ease my concerns.

Honey church is not AFL standard and as much as he gives everything he’s got it’s ridiculous that he’s playing. He was awful v Collingwood.

Gowers hasn’t been impressive either.

Very surprised no Jong or Daniel.

Interested to see English and how we use him.

Ozza
23-03-2018, 07:43 PM
I feel like this is about a round 18 side where the team has been smashed by injuries and is trying to plug holes.

Smads57
23-03-2018, 07:52 PM
I’m not overly surprised by Daniel omission - didn’t have a great JLT2 game and underwhelming in an intraclub game a few weeks back. Jong likely still getting on top of ACL injury. I think Gowers represents the Dicko factor given Dicko is underdone at present. I like the choice of English over Schache as he has more strings to his bow. Honeychurch clearly selected to exert forward pressure given Smith and others of his ilk are’t ready to play yet eg Wally. This side possibly represents the best of the pre-season comp.

Rocket Science
23-03-2018, 08:14 PM
I’m not overly surprised by Daniel omission - didn’t have a great JLT2 game and underwhelming in an intraclub game a few weeks back. Jong likely still getting on top of ACL injury. I think Gowers represents the Dicko factor given Dicko is underdone at present. I like the choice of English over Schache as he has more strings to his bow. Honeychurch clearly selected to exert forward pressure given Smith and others of his ilk are’t ready to play yet eg Wally. This side possibly represents the best of the pre-season comp.

That may be, and if we know anything about the MC under Bevo it's that he's happy to reward form.

The concern is on the eve of a new season so many who should be staking (or re-staking) their claims to best 22, evidently aren't.

GVGjr
23-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Four new Bulldogs in making their debut, Crozier, Trengove, Gowers and Naughty.

Lets go with Crozier being called Crazy. Crazy and Naughty in the back line.

hujsh
23-03-2018, 10:24 PM
Gowers and Honeychurch picked over Daniels. That should go over well with the faithful.

We're all doing great. Looking forward to playing GWS

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--M5nJzDYw--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/h5gugsvsdw9nq7rzzpao.jpg

LostDoggy
23-03-2018, 10:49 PM
We haven't kicked a ball in anger and we are down on the team. So given we haven't lost a game in the H&A season just remember... https://youtu.be/SJUhlRoBL8M

Sedat
24-03-2018, 12:33 PM
but seriously doubting why I've forked out a few hundred $$'s to head up to Canberra as I feel I'll be facepalming for most of the game.
There's always fireworks and porn to fall back on

LostDoggy
24-03-2018, 12:44 PM
The members and supporters need an explanation on this team selection across the board. Please explain the reasons why many quality players are emergencies or playing vfl and why a depleted and inexperienced backline is playing two excellent defenders up forward when we are going up against efficient monsters. Why talk up boyd and shack then have experienced afl picks 1 and 2 in the vfl. How does Caleb miss out behind other selections? What’s with Dickson and Wallis? We have seriously demoralised a previously excited supporter base and jeopardised membership purchases.

I was one of the only people bullish before our first west coast final, I’m usually after a positive spin . This selection. Is taking the urine, if we did this round 23 we would get called out.

Gws by 40+

The bulldog tragician
24-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Are there fitness doubts on the non-selections?

Eastdog
24-03-2018, 04:06 PM
We best wait to analyse further on the selections after tomorrow's game.

It certainly isn't ideal having some key players whether injured or underdone but we need to soldier on and get the 4 points tomorrow.

Boyd and Schache are significant outs along with Marcus Adams and Dale Morris down in defence but given all that's gone on it might make the us more determined to play well tomorrow. We only lost by 2 points last year in the first game in Canberra due to bad kicking - a game in my opinion we should have won.

Rocket Science
24-03-2018, 04:43 PM
Suspect a few are nervy already about a backline missing Wood, Morris, Adams, Murphy and Moyd. I know I am.

Then throw in the unknowns of a new season unhelped by a club in semi-lockdown, curious selection hijinks plus the calibre of first-up opponent and there's a bit to be jittery about.

bornadog
24-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Suspect a few are nervy already about a backline missing Wood, Morris, Adams, Murphy and Moyd. I know I am.

Then throw in the unknowns of a new season unhelped by a club in semi-lockdown, curious selection hijinks plus the calibre of first-up opponent and there's a bit to be jittery about.

Moyd only played one or two games last year and Adams was injured the majority of the season. Morris also missed a big chunk.

We do have a very young backline, but also one of the tallest we have had for a long time - not sure if that helps.

always right
24-03-2018, 06:22 PM
In a team lacking playmakers, the absence of Caleb is nothing short of puzzling.

hujsh
24-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Moyd only played one or two games last year and Adams was injured the majority of the season. Morris also missed a big chunk.

We do have a very young backline, but also one of the tallest we have had for a long time - not sure if that helps.

I don't get how Roberts gets a game. Is Boyd doing that badly that we just can't bear to move Trengove back?

Eastdog
24-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Could some of these guys out be carrying injuries. Surely not all of them are. Picken had that concussion in the first JLT game so it's understandable that his not playing.

GVGjr
24-03-2018, 06:29 PM
In a team lacking playmakers, the absence of Caleb is nothing short of puzzling.

He has to be underdone. His composure and the way he links up with others would normally see him selected.
Jong might have been handy to.

bornadog
24-03-2018, 06:40 PM
He has to be underdone. His composure and the way he links up with others would normally see him selected.
Jong might have been handy to.

Jong is coming back from a knee reco, so maybe the ckub wants a few morw games in him at the lower level. Caleb did miss the last JLT and maybe under done.

The only player I am worried about is HC. He needs to be more damaging, as he turns over the ball alot with skill errors.

Rocket Science
24-03-2018, 06:45 PM

I know, but that was the foundation of a fairly settled backline we could deploy with confidence when everyone was fit.

Fast forward and we're embarking on a major retool back there. Cue the growing pains.

Greystache
24-03-2018, 07:21 PM
I've never been able to understand the logic behind our MC selections since Bevo came to the club, but only one bloke has delivered a premiership in my lifetime and I came to terms with the "in Bevo we trust" mantra quite some time back, so I'll keep the faith. This team is testing me greatly however!

boydogs
24-03-2018, 08:41 PM
I'm excited to see what the inclusions have been doing to justify their selection, but worried about some of the names that are automatic selections when fit that missed out. Williams, Gowers, HC, English in and Dickson, Wallis, Boyd, Jong, Daniel not is eyebrow raising

ratsmac
24-03-2018, 10:25 PM

Good points. I'm very nervous about our backline but your correct, we have had to weather the storm all last year with key defenders missing. I would just be a lot more comfortable if Wood and Trengrove were listed as playing in defence and not forward. You'd like to think that they will move to defence if needed.
Beveridge has always liked to put faith in players that you wouldn't think might have deserved a game at that time, e.g. Ayce Cordy Webb, Williams, Dale. Some work, some don't.

soupman
25-03-2018, 02:16 AM
I think i get the thinking behind the lineup.

The backline is fine. The inclusion of Roberts neans Trengive can stay forward the whole match. If there's one thing we havent done under Beveridge it's go in with an overly tall defence.

As for the Honeychurch, Gowers and English selections. I think we have clearly gone with a purposely small and cknbative forwardline. It's meant to be rainy and stormy tomorrow, and Gws have a very tall defence. I think the idea is to bring the ball to ground and put pressure on Gws as muc as possibke. Maketheir tall defence feel as uncomfortable as possible.

Considering we worked hard to manufacture a spot for Honeychurch last year its no surprise we are keen to use him, likewise with Gowers who the coaching staff were obviously keen to list.

As for English, i guess he allows us to have a tall in our forwardline at all times. I'm not sure he is a better option than Jong, Dickson and definitely Daniel, but clearky thr coahing staff love him and will play him at any opportunity that presents itself.

bornadog
25-03-2018, 12:09 PM

The backline is fine. The inclusion of Roberts neans Trengive can stay forward the whole match. If there's one thing we havent done under Beveridge it's go in with an overly tall defence.

As for the Honeychurch, Gowers and English selections. I think we have clearly gone with a purposely small and cknbative forwardline. It's meant to be rainy and stormy tomorrow, and Gws have a very tall defence. I think the idea is to bring the ball to ground and put pressure on Gws as muc as possibke. Maketheir tall defence feel as uncomfortable as possible.

Considering we worked hard to manufacture a spot for Honeychurch last year its no surprise we are keen to use him, likewise with Gowers who the coaching staff were obviously keen to list.

As for English, i guess he allows us to have a tall in our forwardline at all times. I'm not sure he is a better option than Jong, Dickson and definitely Daniel, but clearky thr coahing staff love him and will play him at any opportunity that presents itself.

I have always been under the impression GWS had a short backline? I need to check that out.

Edit, just checked: Phil Davis, Tomlinson and Haynes. 197, 194, 193

Bulldog4life
25-03-2018, 12:25 PM
I wonder if Daniel could be a starter if rain is heavy.

soupman
25-03-2018, 01:20 PM
I have always been under the impression GWS had a short backline? I need to check that out.

Edit, just checked: Phil Davis, Tomlinson and Haynes. 197, 194, 193

Plus Corr and Finlayson

Bulldog4life
25-03-2018, 01:21 PM
No late changes.

Rocket Science
25-03-2018, 01:22 PM

'Fine' is a very interesting word to use for this backline.

I pray you're right.

always right
25-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Who is number 4 for us.......the man who who should never be mentioned?

Sedat
25-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Who is number 4 for us.......the man who who should never be mentioned?
He was utterly shithouse today - worst game in his career.