View Full Version : AFLW 2018 - Round 7 v Melbourne

bornadog
12-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Where: VU Whitten Oval, 417 Barkly St, Footscray VIC
When: Saturday, Mar 17
Gates Open: 5.30pm EDT
Game Starts: 7.10pm EDT
Admission: Free

After six rounds, it all comes down to this. Don’t miss Western Bulldogs and Melbourne at Whitten Oval for the last Saturday night of AFLW this season. An epic blockbuster with trailblazers of women’s football.

It all happens at Victoria University Whitten Oval, Footscray.
With such an outstanding attendance for our previous games we have added plenty more food outlets and bars. Make sure to check out the Cape Grim BBQ, the Food Truck Hill and the Two Birds Brewing Beer tent!
There will be plenty to do with Bulla Dairy handing out Ice-creams, Victoria University giving out free massages and great tunes bought to you by Bob Jane T-Marts. Come down to the fan zone to get your face painted, some cool freebies and to test out your footy skills!
There will also be a 10 minute firework show post-game so make sure to stick around to watch the sky above Footscray light up!

Axe Man
15-03-2018, 02:07 PM
AFLW Round 7 teams: Katie Brennan to return for Western Bulldogs (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/aflw-round-7-teams-katie-brennan-to-return-for-western-bulldogs/news-story/56f7dc4b78740679415dc615278cff58)

THE Western Bulldogs AFLW Grand Final hopes have been bolstered with captain Katie Brennan set to play in Saturday night’s crunch game against Melbourne.

But Bulldogs coach Paul Groves could be a late omission, with his wife Sarah due to give birth to the couple’s second child any day.

Brennan injured her ankle against Adelaide in Round 3 and hasn’t played since, but she will be named for the Bulldogs tonight.

Saturday night’s clash at the Whitten Oval is like a preliminary final, with the winner into the Grand Final and the loser almost certain to be out of the running.

Bulldogs rising star nominee Aisling Utri is also expected to return from the calf issue she suffered against the Magpies in Round 5.

The rookie midfielder, who has crossed from hockey, has been a revelation for the Dogs.

The Demons will be without Mel Hickey (knee), but are expected to have defender Bianca Jakobsson back.

Axe Man
15-03-2018, 02:09 PM
I hope to make it to my first AFLW game on Saturday night with the family. Staying in the city as I'm doing the Run for the Kids on Sunday morning so just a short train ride to the Whitten Oval.

Twodogs
15-03-2018, 06:04 PM
Look forward to seeing you there Axey.

Axe Man
15-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Look forward to seeing you there Axey.

I'll be the one chasing 2 little kids around.

Happy Days
15-03-2018, 07:29 PM
I'll unfortunately be away again, but it's so good to see KB back. We desperately need something after a couple of really flat weeks.

Given this is ostensibly a prelim I don't like our chances.

Testekill
15-03-2018, 09:52 PM

However it is Melbourne

bornadog
15-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Full back
L Birch
B Toogood
N Callinan

Half back
H Scott
A O'Connor
A Gogos

Centreline

E Blackburn

Half forward
B Lochland
K Brennan
M Conti

Full forward
J Bruton
L Spark
A Utri

Followers
T Ernst
E Kearney
K Lamb

Interchange
N Ferres
B Hunt
H Wildes

K Rennie
D Berry

Emergencies
E Mackie
J Anderson

In: K.Brennan, A.Utri
Out: E.Mackie (Omitted), K.Mcleod (Hamstring)

Twodogs
15-03-2018, 11:33 PM
However it is Melbourne

We can't rely on Jimmy Stynes to run over the mark this time.

The Adelaide Connection
16-03-2018, 04:47 AM
I'll unfortunately be away again, but it's so good to see KB back. We desperately need something after a couple of really flat weeks.

Mate, the changin' times that Bob Dylan was talking about are here. Prelim heartache is a thing of the past- we have a 100% strike rate in Prelims in the last 5 years! ;)

jazzadogs
16-03-2018, 01:52 PM
The demons losing Hickey in the game we get KB back is massive. She has a good record of closing her down. Utri has also had a great season so she's a strong inclusion.

It should be a cracking game, I'm looking forward to it and a few cans of Two Birds Trailblazer.

Testekill
16-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Brennan & Utri back is big

HOSE B ROMERO
16-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Hmm i smell deja vu.
Back in 1987 we played Melbourne at Whitten(western) Oval in a must win to make the finals.
History shows that Melbourne knocked us off and played finals for the first time in 23 years.
I was there and now it's up to the girls to avenge the defeat.
Maybe the club could have organized the team from that day to form a guard of honour for the girls.

HOSE B ROMERO
16-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Weatherwise it looks like there's going to be a strong northerly. Sure hope we win the toss.

Twodogs
17-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Hmm i smell deja vu.
Back in 1987 we played Melbourne at Whitten(western) Oval in a must win to make the finals.
History shows that Melbourne knocked us off and played finals for the first time in 23 years.
Maybe the club could have organized the team from that day to form a guard of honour for the girls.

Even though we lost that was one amazing day at the footy. If tonight is anything like it then we will be are in for a huge night.

GO DOGGIES!

Bulldog4life
17-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Hmm i smell deja vu.

I was there too HR. I remember Hawks beating Cats by a couple of points to knock them out of the finals as well.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Yes b4L it was bit of a downer for me. Then i was sitting on the train at West footscray and a middle aged demon got on and exclaimed ' i am so happy' in a loud drunken voice. And i thought, yeah fair play to you mate, you're about to go to the finals for the first time in 23 years.

But i'm older and bitter now. Get stuffed demons. Go dogs.

Twodogs
17-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Yes b4L it was bit of a downer for me. Then i was sitting on the train at West footscray and a middle aged demon got on and exclaimed ' i am so happy' in a loud drunken voice. And i thought, yeah fair play to you mate, you're about to go to the finals for the first time in 23 years.

But i'm older and bitter now. Get stuffed demons. Go dogs.

At 3/4 time v the Demons 1985 at Whitten oval we were 80 points in front and the Dee's fans were pouring out of any exit they could find. The boys had a quick housekeeping meeting. "Guys, these poor bastards have done it even harder than over the last 20 years. We are on the way to the finals and they can't get out of here fast enough. Do we take pity on them?" "Arseholes to that idea. Why the *!*!*!*! would we take pity on them? They wouldn't take pity on us." And with that we leant over the railings at the Barkly St and gave those entitled bastards both barrels...

Bulldog4life
17-03-2018, 05:39 PM
At 3/4 time v the Demons 1985 at Whitten oval we were 80 points in front and the Dee's fans were pouring out of any exit they could find. The boys had a quick housekeeping meeting. "Guys, these poor bastards have done it even harder than over the last 20 years. We are on the way to the finals and they can't get out of here fast enough. Do we take pity on them?" "Arseholes to that idea. Why the *!*!*!*! would we take pity on them? They wouldn't take pity on us." And with that we leant over the railings at the Barkly St and gave those entitled bastards both barrels...

And won by 100 points plus. The last time I really got very drunk at the footy....sitting in the Footscray Mail's box. Couldn't remember much about the footy.

westdog54
17-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Melbourne should have capitalised better on the breeze. Being made to pay.

bornadog
17-03-2018, 08:59 PM
We didn't need the Melbourne goal into the breeze.

Skills have been appalling to date

Axe Man
17-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Looks like a big crowd here, not sure how it compares to other games?

Melbourne bloke behind me that half was like a curse for them - every time he said good kick or well done it was a turnover.

Twodogs
17-03-2018, 09:13 PM
And won by 100 points plus. The last time I really got very drunk at the footy....sitting in the Footscray Mail's box. Couldn't remember much about the footy.

Good old Roy Jamieson. He wrote some of the most involved match reports I've ever read. Always loved Wednesday evenings in footy season because win, lose or draw Roy would write up the game in intricate derail and I knew that my night would be taken up. Then there was he Western Times coverage.

bornadog
17-03-2018, 09:31 PM
5 points down and coming home with the breeze, come on Dogs!!!

Flamethrower
17-03-2018, 09:34 PM
A draw still possible = both teams advance to the Granny unless Adelaide destroy Collingwood.

westdog54
17-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Goal!!!

westdog54
17-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Siren!!!!

bornadog
17-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Another Granny, wow, great stuff

chef
17-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Gutsy win

Eastdog
17-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Fantastic. We are going to the GF.

Go Dogs!!

westdog54
17-03-2018, 09:56 PM
I'll let those at the ground give their thoughts but watching at home I've got Libby Birch as my BOG. Absolutely immense down back.

Bulldog4life
17-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Very proud of our team. Good win.

Eastdog
17-03-2018, 10:02 PM
The crowd looked great tonight from the TV.

bornadog
17-03-2018, 10:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYe2JKJVwAA-B52.jpg

Twodogs
17-03-2018, 10:11 PM
What a great game of footy. The team just never gave up. We should be very proud.

Twodogs
17-03-2018, 10:13 PM
Siren!!!!

What a game. Even though Melbourne got in front I always thought we had enough in the tank.

The Underdog
17-03-2018, 10:24 PM
What a game. Even though Melbourne got in front I always thought we had enough in the tank.

You were more optimistic than me then.

Happy Days
17-03-2018, 10:55 PM
Incredible game and effort, especially getting nothing out of Blackburn and Brennan.

If Kearney didn't play then we wouldn't have won (or gotten close). Amazing effort and really underscored why we can't lose her next season.

SonofScray
17-03-2018, 11:24 PM
Minor Premiers. Well done. One more to go.

Twodogs
17-03-2018, 11:37 PM
You were more optimistic than me then.

My son said to me "I'd rather we went behind with eight minutes left on the clock than with 2 minutes left. They can't hold us out for 8 minutes." And for some reason when he makes a call it eventuates. He will often call a result halfway through the last quarter and he's been wrong once. I just wish he would do it just before the game starts and there is time to put on a bet. Nominating the winner of horse races would be better.

First time in 94 years one of our teams has finished on top.

Give us the Mcclelland trophy now!

Eastdog
17-03-2018, 11:39 PM

How good would the treble be:

We win the AFLW, VFL and AFL

Before I Die
17-03-2018, 11:41 PM
Any idea if the grand final is ticketed?

josie
17-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Any idea if the grand final is ticketed?

Who do we prefer to play in final- crows or Brissy? Perhaps Brissy however if girl’s play their best should be good enough against either team. Hoping Katie is better for hitout tonight as felt she looked a little rusty. Go girls!!!

HOSE B ROMERO
17-03-2018, 11:59 PM
Great atmosphere at the ground. i thought Melbourne were the better team but we never gave up. Go girls!

bornadog
18-03-2018, 12:05 AM
Great atmosphere at the ground. i thought Melbourne were the better team but we never gave up. Go girls!

That 3rd quarter goal that was missed by Melbourne was costly. She ran half the ground and missed from 10 metes after some great pressure applied from our girl.

bornadog
18-03-2018, 12:12 AM
WESTERN BULLDOGS: 0.0 3.2 3.2 5.3 (33)
MELBOURNE: 1.1 2.1 3.7 4.7 (31)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs: Lochland, Berry, Kearney, Brennan, Conti.
Melbourne: Hore, Paxman, Smith, Cranston.

BEST
Western Bulldogs: Kearney, Spark, Bruton, Lamb, Blackburn.
Melbourne: Paxman, D Pearce, L Pearce, Smith, O’Dea, Downie.

CROWD: 7593 at Whitten Oval.

Happy Days
18-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Shoutout to Jenna Bruton - she is far from the most polished player but her tenacity and willingness to do the dirty work makes her slicker team mates all that more valuable. Really, really canny around stoppages too.

Perfectly exemplified by her giving the handball over to Lochland at the end after reading the play better than everyone else.

Prince Imperial
18-03-2018, 12:30 AM
That 3rd quarter goal that was missed by Melbourne was costly. She ran half the ground and missed from 10 metes after some great pressure applied from our girl.

The Great Scott :)

merantau
18-03-2018, 07:27 AM
That was a great win. A real team effort. Kearney superb. Lochland executed under pressure to wield the coup de grace. Very happy scenes at game end. Go Dogs.

Hotdog60
18-03-2018, 08:09 AM
Was it Lamb who sat on Pearce all night if it was she did a good job as I thought Pearce was down on the night.

SonofScray
18-03-2018, 09:41 AM
How good would the treble be:

We win the AFLW, VFL and AFL

I want that treble so bad mate. We have to be the first club to do it.

Twodogs
18-03-2018, 10:26 AM

Are we the first club to win all three anyway? Not in the same year. But Adelaide don't have a VFL premiership!

Bulldog Joe
18-03-2018, 10:43 AM
I thought Bruton was magnificent on the night.

We have had a range of players step up at different times throughout the season.

Now we need them all to peak for a big game in the granny.

bornadog
18-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Katie will be better for the run, she was a bit rusty but kept the Melbourne backs on their toes.

I hope we play Brisbane next week, Adelaide have had their premiership.

Axe Man
18-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Katie will be better for the run, she was a bit rusty but kept the Melbourne backs on their toes.

I hope we play Brisbane next week, Adelaide have had their premiership.

Needs to practice her chest marks.

bornadog
18-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Needs to practice her chest marks.

Probably a bit nervos, she normally swallows those.

Twodogs
18-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Katie still won us the game. As that last ball entered our 50 metre zone every Melbourne player ran to Brennan and left Lochland with that vital half a second to kick the goal.

Happy Days
18-03-2018, 02:03 PM
There is no way that she's anywhere close to right, was going at about half speed and was having noticeable trouble changing direction.

The ~inside word~ is that the injury was a lot worse than we let on, and it's pretty amazing that she's managed to get back this quickly.

Happy Days
18-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Katie still won us the game. As that last ball entered our 50 metre zone every Melbourne player ran to Brennan and left Lochland with that vital half a second to kick the goal.

Fancy leaving the competition leading goalkicker in that much space with 90 seconds to go!

Twodogs
18-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Fancy leaving the competition leading goalkicker in that much space with 90 seconds to go!

I wonder if they cover that sort of thing in match simulation? The AFLW doesn't have a long preseason so I'd be surprised.

Then again I'd reckon every other defender would know who wasn't covering their forward. Like you say Brooke is the comp's leading goal kicker so she must have had a direct opponent.

Eastdog
18-03-2018, 04:02 PM

Actually add the VFLW as well.

AFL
VFL
AFLW
VFLW

All premiers. Total Bulldog domination.

Twodogs
18-03-2018, 04:37 PM
And so it begins

jazzadogs
18-03-2018, 05:06 PM
I wonder if they cover that sort of thing in match simulation? The AFLW doesn't have a long preseason so I'd be surprised.

Then again I'd reckon every other defender would know who wasn't covering their forward. Like you say Brooke is the comp's leading goal kicker so she must have had a direct opponent.

Hard to cover for a boundary throw in moving 15m in the air and landing in the hot spot. Bruton was the quickest on to it and also quick with her disposal. Clear BOG for us, even ahead of Kearney for me.

Kudos to Ellie Blackburn as well. Sacrificed her usual attacking midfield game to drop behind the ball - meant she didn't get her usual numbers but was clever with blocking/guarding space.

I'd go 3 Bruton, 2 Kearney and 1 Scott

bornadog
18-03-2018, 05:27 PM
The women finish one game clear on top and the best percentage - that is the way to do it.

Twodogs
18-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Hard to cover for a boundary throw in moving 15m in the air and landing in the hot spot. Bruton was the quickest on to it and also quick with her disposal. Clear BOG for us, even ahead of Kearney for me.

Kudos to Ellie Blackburn as well. Sacrificed her usual attacking midfield game to drop behind the ball - meant she didn't get her usual numbers but was clever with blocking/guarding space.

I'd go 3 Bruton, 2 Kearney and 1 Scott

I see your point but I reckon most of my coaches would have had harsh words with whoever he had assigned to watch Brooke. "How did she get so much space?" And "why didn't you have contact at the throw?" Coaches aren't the most reasonable people straight after close losses or mine weren't anyway.

jazzadogs
18-03-2018, 06:45 PM
How did the wind at Whitten oval last night compare to the 'old days'? Going out for kick to kick after the game I'm not surprised how scrappy the match was, compared to some earlier games the Dogs have played there. Extremely hard to judge the ball in flight, and also to guide it onto your foot.

I agree about their coverage of Brooke. It was definitely a mix of defenders being drawn to the ball (Was it Lochlands opponent who tried to smother the handball?) and clever positioning from Brooke herself, with a slight assist from the wind/boundary umpire.

Bulldog4life
18-03-2018, 09:21 PM
How did the wind at Whitten oval last night compare to the 'old days'? Going out for kick to kick after the game I'm not surprised how scrappy the match was, compared to some earlier games the Dogs have played there. Extremely hard to judge the ball in flight, and also to guide it onto your foot.

I agree about their coverage of Brooke. It was definitely a mix of defenders being drawn to the ball (Was it Lochlands opponent who tried to smother the handball?) and clever positioning from Brooke herself, with a slight assist from the wind/boundary umpire.

In the 60's Teddy regularly kicked against the wind when he won the toss with good effect.

Twodogs
18-03-2018, 10:12 PM
In the 60's Teddy regularly kicked against the wind when he won the toss with good effect.

Heh! When Ted "won" the toss. The coin wouldn't have hit the ground before EJ would turn and point to the end he wanted to kick to. There is one particular one where Bob Skilton is the opposition captain (I think Skilton said it was the first time he'd been made captain) when Ted performs his little trick and Bob looks at the umpire with a quizzical look and the umpire shrugs his shoulders as if to say "usually I'd say something but he's Ted Whitten and this is the Western Oval.":p