PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 3, 2018 vs Essendon

Eastdog
16-03-2018, 01:14 AM
If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 3, 2018 match against Essendon at Etihad Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
01-04-2018, 05:43 PM
Do we swing the axe?

Rocket Science
01-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Can barely wait to get rolled by the uppity Bombres with the delicious cherry on top being Stringer to gee himself up for his one genuinely impactful game of the year and celebrate like he's won another flag every time he goals.

Put. It. In. The. Bank.

Oh, and Redpath to come in for Gowers. That should fix things.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-04-2018, 07:14 PM
Stringer will kick a bag. Bookmark it. 10+ goal win no matter who we play.

For the love of god can we play a genuine forward......and actually play him forward?

jeemak
01-04-2018, 07:18 PM
In - Dickson, Redpath, Boyd, Wallis
Out - Dale, Gowers, Jong, Roughead

Dahlhaus is lucky to keep his spot, that Dale couldn't manage a single tackle is fairly disappointing. The former is maintained because we actually need to beef up our engine room, hopefully he'll be better with some more grunt in there with him.

bornadog
01-04-2018, 07:20 PM
In - Dickson, Redpath, Boyd, Wallis
Out - Dale, Gowers, Jong, Roughead

Dahlhaus is lucky to keep his spot, that Dale couldn't manage a single tackle is fairly disappointing. The former is maintained because we actually need to beef up our engine room, hopefully he'll be better with some more grunt in there with him.

add Webb as an out

jeemak
01-04-2018, 07:24 PM
add Webb as an out

I was wanting to, but who do we have to bring in? Plus, with a few around him winning the ball he might actually be able to hit a target or two as he did today.

GVGjr
01-04-2018, 07:29 PM
I would consider Redpath, Young, Wallis and Dickson. Roughead, Webb, Gowers and maybe Honeychurch as outs. Need to give this some more thought though.

jeemak
01-04-2018, 07:57 PM
What disappointed you over HC’s effort G?

Happy Days
01-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Bailey Dale can't play next week, in a team full of poor performers I found his total lack of effort to be the most dispiriting.

I never want to see Gowers play again. He would have to have the least talent of anyone that size I've ever seen in the AFL, and playing that sort of player totally hamstrings your ability to play any level higher than moderate.

There's a few others that could make way, and we might be forced to replace Roughead, but those two outlined particularly pissed me off.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Bailey Dale can't play next week, in a team full of poor performers I found his total lack of effort to be the most dispiriting.

I never want to see Gowers play again. He would have to have the least talent of anyone that size I've ever seen in the AFL, and playing that sort of player totally hamstrings your ability to play any level higher than moderate.

There's a few others that could make way, and we might be forced to replace Roughead, but those two outlined particularly pissed me off.

Bailey Dale getting bumped off the ball by debutant Willie Rioli was insipid.
Caleb Daniel also had his worst game for the club. Not up to stanard for park footy today.

GVGjr
01-04-2018, 08:22 PM
What disappointed you over HC’s effort G?

It wasn't a bad game but that decision error in the 3rd when when marked the ball and played on hurt. I'm probably a bit harsh on him.

bornadog
01-04-2018, 08:32 PM
It wasn't a bad game but that decision error in the 3rd when when marked the ball and played on hurt. I'm probably a bit harsh on him.

I thought he was ok today, yes that was a mistake but overall not a bad game.

Bulldog Revolution
01-04-2018, 09:07 PM
I agree with others on Dale - I had high hopes for him this season but he has to play a lot harder without the footy

He should be able to use his athleticism on defence— if he can figure that out he could be a player, if not, he’s not going to make it

Bullies
01-04-2018, 09:46 PM

There's a few others that could make way, and we might be forced to replace Roughead, but those two outlined particularly pissed me off. Could not agree more on your assessment on Gowers. We also have players who are not at AFL level and are now getting found out - along with Gowers there is Jong, Webb, Honeychurch. English is not ready for AFL as yet. He needs time in the 2's.

SonofScray
01-04-2018, 10:09 PM
IN: Boyd, Wallis, Dickson, Young, Redpath
OUT: Roughead Gowers Honeychurch Dale Jong

Jongy just needs to get his game going at VFL level, regathering the confidence to take the game and kick the ball in an attacking manner. He's good value when he is that hard nosed, work horse grinding away at the contest and getting involved in the air, playing on quick. He is very poor when indecisive and looking for others to use the footy offensively.

Roughie is injured I think? I feel he has a place but something's not right with our work at the bounce and his skill set doesn't match whatever cock eyed plan the coaches are trying.

Dale, let himself down with a few physical contests where he got out worked,out muscled or out smarted. Lowered his colours a great deal today. I am disappointed in and for him. Capable of so much more.

Gowers. This is probably disrespectful but this week and last feels like the Rohde era and he is the new Adam Morgan.

HC: Having a good crack. I respect his efforts a great deal and he probably has outperformed some peers but he isn't the right man for the moment. Unless he can do an old school Libba or early days Picken and do a defensive midfield job, be a menace.

westbulldog
01-04-2018, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=bulldogsthru&thru;594562]Stringer will kick a bag. Bookmark it. 10+ goal win no matter who we play.

I couldn't care less if Stringer gets 10 brownlow votes

Funke disco
01-04-2018, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=bulldogsthru&thru;594562]Stringer will kick a bag. Bookmark it. 10+ goal win no matter who we play.

I couldn't care less if Stringer gets 10 brownlow votes

Unfortunately I have to agree. It was only 6-7 games ago that we beat bombers in a fast paced game under the roof. I will be there next week but am not expecting good things. Essendon would have to be one of my most hated teams and it's going to hurt like hell

FrediKanoute
02-04-2018, 12:18 AM
In Dcko, Walis, Redders

Out Gowers, Jong, Roughhead

Ozza
02-04-2018, 12:38 AM
Outs:

Roughead - It would appear we are sticking with English. Rough having no impact, struggles to stay on the park.
Webb - not going to make it as a midfielder in the AFL. Unless we revert to using his kicking across half back, then he gets delisted.
Gowers - had some moments, but can’t kick, and Dickson can.
Naughton - has shown he will be a player. Kicking/decision making costing us goals right now. Work on it in the VFL.
Dale - really poor today.

Jong, Daniel and others can count themselves lucky - but I’m backing them to respond - because I’ve seen them do it.
Honeychurch, I would agree, is not the man long term - but has been a long way from our worst in the first two rounds, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in a run with on Zaharakis or Merrett this week. The periods HC was on Gaff today, he actually went ok.

Ins:
Boyd - Please play him primarily forward/support ruck, and let him do what every recruiter in the land wanted to draft him to do.
Wallis - With no Libba, and no apparent desire to tackle or win contested footy - we need this bloke in.,
Dickson - please play deep forward. Only needs to get it a handful of times if its in the 50.
Young/Roberts - Not sure who is going better right now. Am inclined to go with Young. Essendon very tall forward line.
Redpath - desperately need forward targets/goal kickers. Sure - he isn’t versatile....other teams are showing you can have a full forward.

bornadog
02-04-2018, 12:43 AM
Outs:

Roughead - It would appear we are sticking with English. Rough having no impact, struggles to stay on the park.
Webb - not going to make it as a midfielder in the AFL. Unless we revert to using his kicking across half back, then he gets delisted.
Gowers - had some moments, but can’t kick, and Dickson can.
Naughton - has shown he will be a player. Kicking/decision making costing us goals right now. Work on it in the VFL.
Dale - really poor today.

Jong, Daniel and others can count themselves lucky - but I’m backing them to respond - because I’ve seen them do it.
Honeychurch, I would agree, is not the man long term - but has been a long way from our worst in the first two rounds, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in a run with on Zaharakis or Merrett this week. The periods HC was on Gaff today, he actually went ok.

Ins:
Boyd - Please play him primarily forward/support ruck, and let him do what every recruiter in the land wanted to draft him to do.
Wallis - With no Libba, and no apparent desire to tackle or win contested footy - we need this bloke in.,
Dickson - please play deep forward. Only needs to get it a handful of times if its in the 50.
Young/Roberts - Not sure who is going better right now. Am inclined to go with Young. Essendon very tall forward line.
Redpath - desperately need forward targets/goal kickers. Sure - he isn’t versatile....other teams are showing you can have a full forward.

I agree with most of this, but I think Jong should be dropped and Gowers stays. I don't recall any other player in the past year taking 5 marks in the fwd 50. He just has to nail those goals.

I am finally giving up on Jong, I don't think he will make it and either will Webb.

merantau
02-04-2018, 06:51 AM
We don't have the luxury of playing English in the 2s. He must play every game for mine. Tom Boyd to play 80% forward. Redpath a fixture at CHF. Sasche forward. Dickson forward. Wallis midfield. Young must get games.
Gowers will probably not make it. Collins? We need some big blokes. He's big. Does he have any form? If we keep going as bad as we are maybe we have to throw him the same carrot Ayce Cordy was.

Twodogs
02-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Collins was in a moon boot last I heard,

merantau
02-04-2018, 08:01 AM

When is the injury curse going to get fed up with us and move on?

Twodogs
02-04-2018, 10:25 AM
When is the injury curse going to get fed up with us and move on?

I think it's gone past a curse and we need to start looking at our medical department.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Cordy, Young, Wood
Biggs, Roberts, JJ
Hunter, Wallis, Suckling
McLean, Redpath, Daniel
Dickson, Boyd, Dahlhaus
Campbell, Bontempelli, Macrae
Dunkley, Honeychurch, Jong, Webb

So IN:-
Campbell, Dickson, Boyd, Redpath, Wallis, Biggs, Young, Roberts

OUT:-
Roughead, English, Dale, Trengove, Gowers, Naughton, Richards, Williams

I’m assuming Campbell is fit, he’s been MIA in just about everything I’ve read this year.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2018, 12:14 PM
So, maybe Campbell is injured, in which case I’d keep Trengove in and play him as first ruck.

G-Mo77
02-04-2018, 12:17 PM

Bevo brought up his injuries in the presser last night. Unavailable for an extended amount of time it seems.

Roberts was sick apparently so they couldn't select him, got through the VFL game though? Made no sense to me as isn't that what emergencies are for?

GVGjr
02-04-2018, 12:46 PM
So, maybe Campbell is injured, in which case I’d keep Trengove in and play him as first ruck.

I saw Campbell a couple of times in the player sponsors area. I never got the chance to talk to him though. He looked OK but he must be underdone. I think he needs at least a week playing for Footscray

Rocket Science
02-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Collins underwent ankle surgery in November and as others have said is still moonbooting it at the moment. Most recent estimate was that he's a minimum of a month away.

Saving grace for him, I'm sure he'd love being chucked in at the deep end right now.

mjp
02-04-2018, 02:13 PM
I am finally giving up on Jong, I don't think he will make it and either will Webb.

The two players you are talking about have had pretty obvious deficiencies for more than a couple of years now. From a 'TEAM' and effort perspective, Jong makes sense. But his composure under pressure and skill execution consistently let him down.

Webb can actually kick. But he either can't run or has simply decided it isn't that important to run and is a liability in defensive transition/non factor in attacking transition...

Surely we knew all of this stuff at the end of 2016? And we still knew it at the end of 2017. I am all for the 'keep developing them' argument and no doubt both are excellent clubmen and very good VFL players...but...

Mofra
02-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Surely we knew all of this stuff at the end of 2016? And we still knew it at the end of 2017. I am all for the 'keep developing them' argument and no doubt both are excellent clubmen and very good VFL players...but...
We have an excess of "good clubmen" for mine and tend to keep them a year too long (Prudden was a lucky boy in the past too).

We can't carry too many and Honeychurch for all his faults at least provides elite defensive pressure to at least keep Rhylee West's spot in the side warm.

As an aside, Poor Jackson Trengove has been thrown all over the paddock and you would have thought as a FA signing he would have come into the team with a specific role in mind. Wonder how confused he is right now.

Greystache
02-04-2018, 02:28 PM
We can't carry too many and Honeychurch for all his faults at least provides elite defensive pressure to at least keep Rhylee West's spot in the side warm.

Honeychurch didn't lay a tackle for the entire match yesterday. For a small player who's show with terrible skills, that is inexcusable. Especially as he has practically no upside from here.

The Underdog
02-04-2018, 02:30 PM
I honestly can't see a team we pick from the available players that doesn't get absolutely killed. Essendon for their deficiencies are fast through the midfield and tall in the front and back half. That plays straight into the 2 things we can't handle at the moment.
I'd bring in Dickson, Redpath and Wallis and possibly Boyd but not having seen his exposed form, that is more speculative than anything.

bornadog
02-04-2018, 02:41 PM
The two players you are talking about have had pretty obvious deficiencies for more than a couple of years now. From a 'TEAM' and effort perspective, Jong makes sense. But his composure under pressure and skill execution consistently let him down.

Webb can actually kick. But he either can't run or has simply decided it isn't that important to run and is a liability in defensive transition/non factor in attacking transition...

We have been hoping they would improve as they matured but sadly they haven't.

SlimPickens
02-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Calls on Jong are a little premature. Will take time post ACL, he should be playing VFL for a month before being considered for selection.

bornadog
02-04-2018, 02:53 PM
Out: Jong, Webb, Roughead, Dale

In: Wallis, Dickson, Boyd, Biggs

chef
02-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Out: Jong, Webb, Roughead, Dale

In: Wallis, Dickson, Boyd, Biggs

Like these changes. I'd go Young for Cordy too.

bornadog
02-04-2018, 04:52 PM
Like these changes. I'd go Young for Cordy too.

I am not sure where Young is at, for the moment.

I said last week I prefer Cordy up forward, he is not a KPP and he played the role well in 2016 - he needs to be the aggressive 3rd tall in the forward line.

chef
02-04-2018, 05:06 PM
I am not sure where Young is at, for the moment.

I said last week I prefer Cordy up forward, he is not a KPP and he played the role well in 2016 - he needs to be the aggressive 3rd tall in the forward line.

If we are going the refresh path we should be getting as many games into Young as we can.

Cordy should never play in defence ever again, hes such a liability. If hes not forward then he shouldnt be anywhere near this team

bornadog
02-04-2018, 05:08 PM
If we are going the refresh path we should be getting as many games into Young as we can.

Cordy should never play in defence ever again, hes such a liability. If hes not forward then he shouldnt be anywhere near this team

Can we rely on Young (19 years old) and Naughton (18 years old)? The only other option is to get Roberts back in there, and also keep Trengove down there.

chef
02-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Can we rely on Young (19 years old) and Naughton (18 years old)? The only other option is to get Roberts back in there, and also keep Trengove down there.

Can it really get any worse?

I'd keep Trengove down back and play Naughton and Young.

No point playing Roberts. He'll always be a premiership hero but hes just not much chop.

bornadog
02-04-2018, 05:24 PM
Can it really get any worse?

I'd keep Trengove down back and play Naughton and Young.

No point playing Roberts. He'll always be a premiership hero but hes just not much chop.

Yeah agree with that.

Hotdog60
02-04-2018, 08:28 PM
What's the bet Daniher plays forward this week.

Remi Moses
02-04-2018, 09:12 PM
I agree with MJP on Lin , he just isn’t any good executing under pressure . Sometimes under no pressure .
Honeychurch’s big attribute was his pressure , but like most that was non existent.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-04-2018, 09:24 PM
This is a team that is badly in need of a revamp and restructure.The desperation and fierce tackling is sadly lacking.
Both the defence and forward line have been non competitive.
In. T Boyd Redpath Wallis Dickson Biggs
Out. Webb Honeychurch Gowers Richards and English.
The inclusion of Boyd Dickson and Biggs will see the return of three Premiership players, whilst Wallis and Redpath provides more goalkicking options and toughness. Essendon will be reeling from last week's defeat and travel to Perth, which makes this a very winnable game.

westbulldog
02-04-2018, 10:03 PM
i agree with having Young and Trengrove down back, Roberts doesn't seem up to it.

Eastdog
02-04-2018, 10:12 PM
i agree with having Young and Trengrove down back, Roberts doesn't seem up to it.

Trengove to give us some experience down there. Lewis Young still a kid looked very good on his debut but needs some help down there.

MrMahatma
02-04-2018, 10:31 PM
I'd bring in Roberts not Young. We physically aren't up to it if we have too many kids playing. Young and Naughton should aim to play half the season each this year and the other spots need to be more physically developed players.

Unless it's a rebuild then we may as well play them both and leave Roberts out.

ratsmac
03-04-2018, 09:25 AM
B: Wood Roberts Cordy
HB: JJ Trengrove Biggs
C: Hunter Wallis Suckling
HF: McLean Boyd Dunkley
F: Dahl Redpath Dickson
FOLL: English Macrae Bontempelli
INT: Honeychurch Williams Daniel Dale

Out: Jong Richards Naughton Gowers Roughead Webb
In: Roberts Boyd Biggs Dickson Redpath Wallis

This is how I'd like us to go but I highly doubt that we will make this many changes. Boyd probably won't come in due to his reported form although Roughead has been pedestrian so it couldn't be any worse so I'd roll the dice on that one.

I really like Naughton and Richards but we are getting exposed too easily with lack of experience and leadership. I have swapped them out for Roberts, who I thought wasn't bad against GWS (everyone was) and Biggs.

Dickson comes in for Webb. We need smart forwards to stimulate movement and Dickson is the best we have for that.

Red for Gowers. No brainer for me. Gowers is ok but he has had a taste now and has some things to work on (kicking) at VFL level.

Finally it's Wallis for Jong. Jong struggled to impact the contests like we know he can and we need someone who can smash and crash right away. Wallis can bring that.

I'm a bit worried about Essendon's leg speed. Maybe Jong or Richards could stay in and Williams goes out. Essendon are also quite a tall side so we can either try to match them or exploit them with the smaller runners. If we go that way Roberts or Cordy don't play.

Essendon's talls:
Hurley 193cm
Hartley 198cm
Brown 196cm
Goddard 193cm
Stewart 198cm
Daniher 200cm
Hooker 197cm
Stringer 192cm
Bellchambers 201cm

Mantis
03-04-2018, 09:52 AM
B: Wood Roberts Cordy
HB: JJ Trengrove Biggs
C: Hunter Wallis Suckling
HF: McLean Boyd Dunkley
F: Dahl Redpath Dickson
FOLL: English Macrae Bontempelli
INT: Honeychurch Williams Daniel Dale

Out: Jong Richards Naughton Gowers Roughead Webb
In: Roberts Boyd Biggs Dickson Redpath Wallis

This is how I'd like us to go but I highly doubt that we will make this many changes. Boyd probably won't come in due to his reported form although Roughead has been pedestrian so it couldn't be any worse so I'd roll the dice on that one.

I really like Naughton and Richards but we are getting exposed too easily with lack of experience and leadership. I have swapped them out for Roberts, who I thought wasn't bad against GWS (everyone was) and Biggs.

Dickson comes in for Webb. We need smart forwards to stimulate movement and Dickson is the best we have for that.

Red for Gowers. No brainer for me. Gowers is ok but he has had a taste now and has some things to work on (kicking) at VFL level.

Finally it's Wallis for Jong. Jong struggled to impact the contests like we know he can and we need someone who can smash and crash right away. Wallis can bring that.

I'm a bit worried about Essendon's leg speed. Maybe Jong or Richards could stay in and Williams goes out. Essendon are also quite a tall side so we can either try to match them or exploit them with the smaller runners. If we go that way Roberts or Cordy don't play.

Essendon's talls:
Hurley 193cm
Hartley 198cm
Brown 196cm
Goddard 193cm
Stewart 198cm
Daniher 200cm
Hooker 197cm
Stringer 192cm
Bellchambers 201cm

1/ Roberts was horrible against GWS... His body positioning and body work is terrible for a man of his size.

2/ Gowers has had 3 seasons of VFL footy & 4 pre-seasons at AFL/VFL level and still isn't a proficient kick... How long does it take?

ratsmac
03-04-2018, 10:26 AM
1/ Roberts was horrible against GWS... His body positioning and body work is terrible for a man of his size.

2/ Gowers has had 3 seasons of VFL footy & 4 pre-seasons at AFL/VFL level and still isn't a proficient kick... How long does it take?

Yeah I can agree with that re Roberts but with the amount and ease that ball was coming in it would be hard for the best defenders. I should of said he wasn't the worst because I thought Cordy lucky to keep his spot over Roberts. The cupboard is bare for key defenders at the moment unless we play kids. And if the season continues with this trend I'm sure we will be going with the kids. But right now we are in need for some cohesion amongst our back 6.

Yeah I was trying to be nice about Gowers. The biggest knock on him before we selected him was his kicking and lo and behold what do you know, he's still a shit kick. From now on it should be learn how to kick straight and you'll get a game son.

bornadog
03-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Yeah I can agree with that re Roberts but with the amount and ease that ball was coming in it would be hard for the best defenders. I should of said he wasn't the worst because I thought Cordy lucky to keep his spot over Roberts. The cupboard is bare for key defenders at the moment unless we play kids. And if the season continues with this trend I'm sure we will be going with the kids. But right now we are in need for some cohesion amongst our back 6.

Yeah I was trying to be nice about Gowers. The biggest knock on him before we selected him was his kicking and lo and behold what do you know, he's still a shit kick. From now on it should be learn how to kick straight and you'll get a game son.

One thing about Gowers, he can actually get the ball, and he took 8 marks as well. He missed 3 shots, one was on the boundary line. No way he is getting dropped.

hujsh
03-04-2018, 02:45 PM
One thing about Gowers, he can actually get the ball, and he took 8 marks as well. He missed 3 shots, one was on the boundary line. No way he is getting dropped.
If you are a permanent forward in the team these should not be difficult. It's part of a forward pockets bread and butter really.

Sedat
03-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Gowers and Honeychurch aren't the reason we are 0-2 with a sub 50%. They are realistically 21-22 on the team sheet. Gowers had 4 shots at goal in a totally dysfunctional forward line and his numbers are no worse than Stringer's for the last 2 years. Shit goal kicking aside he stays in this week (with some tall forwards for company hopefully).

I see a complete breakdown in the midfield as the key reason for our inept start to the season. Our core group of mids are getting smashed at the coalface, and they are also providing zero defensive accountability against their opposition counterparts, badly exposing our already threadbare defence. The midfield system and stoppage structure is completely broken.

bornadog
03-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Gowers and Honeychurch aren't the reason we are 0-2 with a sub 50%. They are realistically 21-22 on the team sheet. Gowers had 4 shots at goal in a totally dysfunctional forward line and his numbers are no worse than Stringer's for the last 2 years. Shit goal kicking aside he stays in this week (with some tall forwards for company hopefully).

I see a complete breakdown in the midfield as the key reason for our inept start to the season. Our core group of mids are getting smashed at the coalface, and they are also providing zero defensive accountability against their opposition counterparts, badly exposing our already threadbare defence. The midfield system and stoppage structure is completely broken.
two weeks ina row the kids are getting smashed.

AndrewP6
03-04-2018, 03:04 PM
If you are a permanent forward in the team these should not be difficult. It's part of a forward pockets bread and butter really.

Permanent forward in his second game.

AndrewP6
03-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Been a staunch Boyd supporter since he came to us, but the fact he's not even in the picture is a real concern for me. I hope he's played this week

bulldogsthru&thru
03-04-2018, 03:08 PM

When did Gia become midfield coach?

Sedat
03-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Is Webb not up to it or have we destroyed him by trying to turn him into an inside mid. He has exquisite foot skills and yet can't get near it when he's in the middle. His laser left foot is exactly what we need coming out of D50 but he looks shot every time he's in the seniors.

Ozza
03-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Is Webb not up to it or have we destroyed him by trying to turn him into an inside mid. He has exquisite foot skills and yet can't get near it when he's in the middle. His laser left foot is exactly what we need coming out of D50 but he looks shot every time he's in the seniors.

I commented in another thread - possibly the Bankers/Anchors - that after Webb showed some real promise in early 2015 as a half back - we then went on to crowbar him into a midfield role, and he just can't get a kick playing there at AFL level.

He just spends way too much time in no-man's land running to positions where he doesn't get close enough to impact the immediate contest, and then isn't in position to be involved in the next one.

If the coaches think that he has a future, and that his future is definitely as a midfielder, then the only thing I can think of that would benefit him, is to play him in a tagging role for a sustained period so he can learn from up close, the running patterns and techniques of the best players. But that's a real long shot. I don't see him carving out a career as a mid. He will be bobbing up on Carlton's half back line at some point in the next year or two as the last roll of the dice.

hujsh
03-04-2018, 03:19 PM
And if the inaccuracy is due to nerves playing on a relatively big stage then the second game excuse works. If not he's a mature rookie with 3-4 years in the AFL/VFL system.

I agree that he's not exactly the reason we're losing though. I just don't buy either of the two above defenses of his poor kicking for goal (and do we need more unreliable shots at goal?)

Sedat
03-04-2018, 03:23 PM
I commented in another thread - possibly the Bankers/Anchors - that after Webb showed some real promise in early 2015 as a half back - we then went on to crowbar him into a midfield role, and he just can't get a kick playing there at AFL level.

He just spends way too much time in no-man's land running to positions where he doesn't get close enough to impact the immediate contest, and then isn't in position to be involved in the next one.

If the coaches think that he has a future, and that his future is definitely as a midfielder, then the only thing I can think of that would benefit him, is to play him in a tagging role for a sustained period so he can learn from up close, the running patterns and techniques of the best players. But that's a real long shot. I don't see him carving out a career as a mid. He will be bobbing up on Carlton's half back line at some point in the next year or two as the last roll of the dice.
Hawks were right into him during the last trade period. I'm sure they recognise his kicking skills as something that would compliment their defensive structure.

He'll never be an inside mid - 9 possessions a game are poor numbers for a key forward. They are Stringer in the midfield numbers.

Ozza
03-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Hawks were right into him during the last trade period. I'm sure they recognise his kicking skills as something that would compliment their defensive structure.

He'll never be an inside mid - 9 possessions a game are poor numbers for a key forward. They are Stringer in the midfield numbers.

Would potentially be an upgrade on a Taylor Duryea who plays that role currently.
Lets hope the club plays the footage of that goal he kicked against Geelong last year, and the pass to Bont on the weekend - on loop - to drum up some trade value!

In all seriousness, I feel for the kid a bit - and wish we'd have stuck with him in that half back role where he can use his skills. Nowhere near ruthless enough to be an inside mid. You wouldn't play Jordan McMahon in there.....

Dry Rot
03-04-2018, 03:33 PM
What's the story with Campbell?

Rocco Jones
03-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Won't happen but...

B: Wood, Trengove, Young
HB: JJ, Cordy, Biggs
C: Hunter, McLean, Suckling
HF: Dahl, Redpath, Dunkley
F: Gowers, Boyd, Dickson
FOLL: English, Macrae, Bontempelli
I/C: Daniel, Williams, Wallis, Naughton

Greystache
03-04-2018, 03:57 PM

... in his second game of AFL. He's been playing football for 15 years in the elite pathways. If he can't kick a goal from 15m out directly in front in his second game he won't be able to in is 100th. You don't learn the absolute basics of football by playing at AFL level.

Greystache
03-04-2018, 04:00 PM

I don't understand what Williams has that Webb doesn't that makes Williams a suitable candidate to develop as a half back but Webb needing to be an inside mid or bust. Neither is quick, neither defend particularly well, both are decent kicks (with Webb being better), and Webb has the better composure in traffic. I would've thought they'd be competing for the same spot with Webb being the slightly better prospect.

EasternWest
03-04-2018, 04:08 PM
I don't understand what Williams has that Webb doesn't that makes Williams a suitable candidate to develop as a half back but Webb needing to be an inside mid or bust. Neither is quick, neither defend particularly well, both are decent kicks (with Webb being better), and Webb has the better composure in traffic. I would've thought they'd be competing for the same spot with Webb being the slightly better prospect.

Agreed. I don't mind either of them but if it's one or the other, Webb is clearly the better kick/player.

Ozza
03-04-2018, 04:18 PM

It is an interesting question. Bailey Williams is one I haven't been as 'sold' on as some others in terms of him playing as a defender.
Certainly has some good attributes, but I worry about his defensive instincts. He is still learning, but to me he still makes the same mistakes over and over when the opposition have the footy, in terms of not identifying the player in the more dangerous position and closing them down.

It certainly stands out more now that we don't have Matt Boyd down there (who I thought was extremely good at closing down the most dangerous option).

Williams was touted as bit of a ball magnet. Can't help but wonder why he didn't end up as part of the midfield group, with Webb the half back/kicking role.

bornadog
03-04-2018, 04:41 PM
It's pretty simple, Webb plays midfield in VFL level and gets a lot of possessions and is probably too good at that level. At AFL level, can't find the ball. I hope he can make it, but I have serious doubts.

Ozza
03-04-2018, 05:00 PM
It's pretty simple, Webb plays midfield in VFL level and gets a lot of possessions and is probably too good at that level. At AFL level, can't find the ball. I hope he can make it, but I have serious doubts.

Its not that simple actually.
The discussion that was being had, went back to how Webb started with us as a half back flanker and showed something - and so posters have queried why the coaches decided that he would be best moved to a midfield role - and whether that is the best fit for him.

bornadog
03-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Its not that simple actually.
The discussion that was being had, went back to how Webb started with us as a half back flanker and showed something - and so posters have queried why the coaches decided that he would be best moved to a midfield role - and whether that is the best fit for him.

and I answered it. The coches tried him out in the midfield at VFL level very successfully and he just can't reproduce at AFL level.

He was just ok on the HBF. In 2015 he averaged 10.9 disposals and he has averaged around 11.2 in his career.

Compare that to Williams who averages 15.9. They have both played 20 games each.

Greystache
03-04-2018, 05:11 PM

That doesn't make any sense.

We can't play Webb half back at AFL level because we've made him play midfield in the VFL?

bornadog
03-04-2018, 05:13 PM
That doesn't make any sense.

We can't play Webb half back at AFL level because we've made him play midfield in the VFL?

I didn't say that. I was talking about his ability in the midfield.

As for HBF, he wasn't much chop either.

hujsh
03-04-2018, 05:18 PM
I didn't say that. I was talking about his ability in the midfield.

As a first year player I think his performances were encouraging. His development as a midfielder hasn't really seen him exceed that first year as an AFL player. The question is would he actually improve if played and developed as a HBF? Would he find it easier to get the ball so we can actually use his left foot? Would his defending skills be good enough?

bornadog
03-04-2018, 05:23 PM
As a first year player I think his performances were encouraging. His development as a midfielder hasn't really seen him exceed that first year as an AFL player. The question is would he actually improve if played and developed as a HBF? Would he find it easier to get the ball so we can actually use his left foot? Would his defending skills be good enough?

Hard to answer - maybe worth a try, we are stuck with him at this stage.

Ozza
03-04-2018, 05:26 PM
and I answered it. The coches tried him out in the midfield at VFL level very successfully and he just can't reproduce at AFL level.

He was just ok on the HBF. In 2015 he averaged 10.9 disposals and he has averaged around 11.2 in his career.

Compare that to Williams who averages 15.9. They have both played 20 games each.

Respectfully, I don't think you did answer it at all.

There is a cavernous gap between VFL and AFL. Webb getting 30 possessions at VFL level doesn't mean 'they tried it, its very successful - he's a midfielder now'. If Biggs played midfield in the VFL - he'd get 30. If a fit Dickson, Williams, Suckling or JJ played in the VFL - they may get 30 - but it doesn't mean it is their best position at AFL level. On the same logic - they may start playing Ed Richards as an inside mid at VFL level.

jeemak
03-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Respectfully, I don't think you did answer it at all.

There is a cavernous gap between VFL and AFL. Webb getting 30 possessions at VFL level doesn't mean 'they tried it, its very successful - he's a midfielder now'. If Biggs played midfield in the VFL - he'd get 30. If a fit Dickson, Williams, Suckling or JJ played in the VFL - they may get 30 - but it doesn't mean it is their best position at AFL level. On the same logic - they may start playing Ed Richards as an inside mid at VFL level.

What makes you think they won't? He'll be so flexible by the time they're finished with him he won't know what's hit him.

divvydan
03-04-2018, 06:03 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-04-03/trengove-hurt-roughead-in-doubt

Trengove to miss 2-3 weeks and Roughead to be assessed during the week.

AndrewP6
03-04-2018, 06:25 PM
The way we're going, Chris Grant could get a run on the weekend.

Rocket Science
03-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Oh wonderful. An opponent with multiple tall targets on the horizon and now Trengove's fallen off his perch as if the backline wasn't stretched enough.

Helloooo Lewy Young lest Roberts gets the nod.

Daniher's reputedly down on form. Can't see that persisting much longer ...

Rocket Science
03-04-2018, 06:29 PM

Put Bevo in the guts!

Edit: actually no. In the name of versatility make him ruck.

Greystache
03-04-2018, 06:33 PM

Can he ruck? Or would we play him as a tagger?

AndrewP6
03-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Put Bevo in the guts!

Can he ruck? Or would we play him as a tagger?

Bevo to ruck, apart from when he rests forward. Grant can just sit cross legged on the backline, so he resembles the rest of the backs. My brother works for the company Scott Wynd runs...I wonder if he's free Sunday? Maybe worth a call.

The bulldog tragician
03-04-2018, 08:14 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-04-03/trengove-hurt-roughead-in-doubt

I want a “dislike” button.

Twodogs
03-04-2018, 09:12 PM

Funny you should mention it. I hear Chris did his knee answering the phone when Bevo called him to tell him he was in the team! :rolleyes:

Eastdog
03-04-2018, 09:41 PM
I want a “dislike” button.

Yep me too :(

Eastdog
03-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Kelvin Templeton to come in.

Twodogs
03-04-2018, 10:12 PM
Kelvin Templeton to come in.

Have they fixed his knee at last?

AndrewP6
03-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Funny you should mention it. I hear Chris did his knee answering the phone when Bevo called him to tell him he was in the team! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't rule out foul play. Does Barrett have an alibi?

Twodogs
03-04-2018, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't rule out foul play. Does Barrett have an alibi?

Yeah, he was hiding under Chris Grant's desk with a tripwire!

MrMahatma
04-04-2018, 12:45 AM
Put Bevo in the guts!

There is no ruck. No midfielder. Just a footballer. Irrespective of your ability in a position, you'll try them all and then, only then, are you a footballer.*

*Ability to use foot on ball to your team's advantage is optional.

FrediKanoute
04-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Not sure which deity we pissed off but we just can’t take a trick!

Twodogs
04-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Not sure which deity we pissed off but we just can’t take a trick!

It was Gil Maclachlan I think. He thinks he's a god anyway,

Ghost Dog
04-04-2018, 12:05 PM

That's so disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing Marcus Adams and Trengrove play this season.

Sedat
04-04-2018, 06:39 PM
What was Luke Hodge like as a HBF in his first year of AFL footy? Well he was fat for starters.

Webb hasn't played HBF for the seniors since 2015 when he was 18yo. We drafted a Hodge clone according to draft watchers and we tried to turn him into Sam Mitchell. What a surprise it hasn't worked out.

bornadog
04-04-2018, 06:49 PM
What was Luke Hodge like as a HBF in his first year of AFL footy? Well he was fat for starters.

Webb hasn't played HBF for the seniors since 2015 when he was 18yo. We drafted a Hodge clone according to draft watchers and we tried to turn him into Sam Mitchell. What a surprise it hasn't worked out.

All I see is a struggling player.

Sedat
04-04-2018, 06:58 PM
We have about 20 struggling players in the seniors at the moment. Some examples:

Webb struggling as an inside mid
Caleb Daniel struggling as a defender
Trengove struggling as a key forward
Jong and Dunkley struggling as key forwards (also as ruckmen)
Wood struggling as a key forward

Are we currently playing anybody bar a couple of our mids in positions that they are, you know, suited to?

GVGjr
04-04-2018, 07:02 PM

He was primarily a forward who played a bit in the midfield in the TAC. On draft night we said we were going to turn him into a defender and I'd have to say he had a successful debut season. It hasn't quite worked playing him as an in and under midfielder but for some reason after losing Murphy, Boyd and now Crozier for a few weeks we still seem stubbornly that he can only be used as a midfielder.

Are you looking past the stats?

bornadog
04-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Something to think about for Selection

We can all have a go at the MC but the cupboard is bare.

Injured not available

Adams, Marcus
Campbell, Tom
Collins, Kieran
Crozier, Hayden
Liberatore, Thomas
Morris, Dale
Redpath, Jack
Schache, Josh
Smith, Clay
Picken, Liam
Trengove, Jackson

Not Played to date

Greene, Fergus
Lipinski, Patrick
Lynch, Bradley
Mullenger-McHugh, Nathan
Porter, Callum
Smith, Roarke
Young, Lewis
Boyd, Thomas
Dickson, Tory
Wallis, Mitchell

Played

Biggs, Shane
Bontempelli, Marcus
Cordy, Zaine
Dahlhaus, Luke
Dale, Bailey
Daniel, Caleb
Dunkley, Josh
English, Timothy
Gowers, Billy
Honeychurch, Mitch
Hunter, Lachlan
Johannisen, Jason
Jong, Lin
Macrae, Jackson
McLean, Toby
Naughton, Aaron
Richards, Ed
Roberts, Fletcher
Roughead, Jordan
Suckling, Matthew
Webb, Lukas
Williams, Bailey
Wood, Easton

FrediKanoute
04-04-2018, 07:13 PM
He was primarily a forward who played a bit in the midfield in the TAC. On draft night we said we were going to turn him into a defender and I'd have to say he had a successful debut season. It hasn't quite worked playing him as an in and under midfielder but for some reason after losing Murphy, Boyd and now Crozier for a few weeks we still seem stubbornly that he can only be used as a midfielder.

I didn't think Webb was the worst by a long way. His problem as a midfielder is that he doesn't get enough of the ball to hurt opposition.

If i was disappointed with players on Sunday it was Bailey Dale - he was awful and couldn't work his way into the game.

bornadog
04-04-2018, 07:13 PM

Of Course.

Twodogs
04-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Look at all that experience on the injury list. How do you account for all those players being injured when you allow for injuries doing the planning and stuff for the season.

mjp
04-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Injuries smingeries. We all get that there are injuries and the situation clearly isn't good. But if you are losing by 10-goals at home to a West Coast team predicted to finish near the bottom of the ladder then there is a bit more wrong than that.

The back and forth on Webb is interesting. I think the kid has earned the belief of the coaches through what he has been able to produce in competitive situations at training more so than what has been seen at VFL level...but it needs to translate into positive performances soon or he is going to battle for opportunities in the future.

The Adelaide Connection
04-04-2018, 11:56 PM
Just saw Travis Cloke on one of the Fox footy shows and he sounded like he wanted to go on but was accepting that it didn't work out. I know we needed the space for picks but boy wouldn't it be good to be able to pick him this week.

bornadog
05-04-2018, 12:02 AM
Just saw Travis Cloke on one of the Fox footy shows and he sounded like he wanted to go on but was accepting that it didn't work out. I know we needed the space for picks but boy wouldn't it be good to be able to pick him this week.

Should have kept him for one more year, he had a contract.

The Adelaide Connection
05-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Should have kept him for one more year, he had a contract.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. He didn't exactly get a good run at it, was just showing some signs when he had his rib cage rearranged by Ziebell. I am sure the coaching staff would rue not keeping him on board for the second year now.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Yep, my thoughts exactly. He didn't exactly get a good run at it, was just showing some signs when he had his rib cage rearranged by Ziebell. I am sure the coaching staff would rue not keeping him on board for the second year now.

Yes. It really frustrates me when people have a go at us for recruiting him, smirking saying it didn't work out. He was providing a lot of value for us. He straightened us up and could actually clunk a mark. Then Ziebell completely ruined all that by breaking his ribs illegally.

His stats up until then were:
Rd1: 1 goal, 14 disposals, 6 marks
Rd2: 3.2 goals, 18 disposals, 7 marks
Rd3: 10 disposals, 2 marks - ok this wasn't a great game from him but you could say that about 20 of our players that day against fremantle. Was the start of our poor form really
Rd4: 1.2 goals, 11 disposals and 4 marks in i think it was 2.5qtrs

Those are some impressive stats for a forward at the bulldogs especially given how hard it is to mark/score with our poor delivery.

Jam Donuts
05-04-2018, 05:24 PM
As I said in another forum, if you asked most of our players what position they play, I doubt if they would know, surely it is time to try and settle this team down and see how the guys go in a set position, instead of trying to turn everyone into a mid fielder, if I hear them say that they will give player x a run through the midfield just one more time, I will spew up! Let them get some consistency and build a decent playing relationship with their team mates around them, this is really piss poor at the moment.

bornadog
05-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL
44m44 minutes ago
More
Bulldog Jordan Roughead unlikely to be named when teams drop, after heavy knock last week ... @7NewsMelbourne

Dry Rot
05-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL
44m44 minutes ago
More
Bulldog Jordan Roughead unlikely to be named when teams drop, after heavy knock last week ... @7NewsMelbourne

If so, by round 3 we have 3 out 5 ruckmen injured.

Presume Boyd must come in to support English?

Axe Man
05-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL
44m44 minutes ago
More

Surely Boyd has to play with no Roughy or Trengove. Or maybe we will hand a debut to NMM!

bornadog
05-04-2018, 07:26 PM
In Boyd , Redpath Wallis, Dickson, Biggs and Roberts
out Roughead and Trengove

westdog54
05-04-2018, 07:34 PM
So still four to come out from the line-up.

You'd have to think Roberts is a straight swap for Trengove.

English is listed as first ruck. I wonder which one of Boyd and Redpath survives the cut.

BAD You had Redpath in your 'injured not available' list on the previous page. Did I miss something?

Sedat
05-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Dickson and Redders the only 2 ins that have made the starting 18.

My guess is Boyd won't play and we'll use Redders/Dunks/Jong as back-up rucks.

josie
05-04-2018, 07:37 PM
Totally agree it is a pity we did not keep Cloke. He offered good value in the games he played.

So who is going to miss out from extended bench? Wallis simply must play and I would think Roberts for Trengove. Boyd or Redpath must play but not both i’m guessing not both. I hope they persevere with Webb but got a feeling he will make way, and possibly Richards although prefer Honeychurch to be dropped. Can we afford to play 3 short players; Daniel, Dahl and Honey - especially considering 2 of them have dodgy kicks?

chef
05-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Stevo just said Wallis will definitely play and Boyd wont.

FrediKanoute
05-04-2018, 07:56 PM
The bench is interesting as it seems guys like Gowers, Jong, Dale, Williams have all kept their place.

Of the guys on the bench you would think that Boyd has to come in as Ruck support; Roberts has to come in as a key defender; Wallis surely after 2 steller weeks in the VFL should come in; and one other who on form and effort would be Honeychurch and maybe Daniel.

Its a heck of an unbalanced team!

bornadog
05-04-2018, 08:06 PM
BAD You had Redpath in your 'injured not available' list on the previous page. Did I miss something?

That was for the first two rounds - he wasn't available.

Eastdog
05-04-2018, 08:07 PM
That was for the first two rounds - he wasn't available.

Not available due to the suspension from last year but now back and ready to play.

Wally hopefully can give us some midfield drive and Red can help us be more structured up forward. We desperately need something to change. Dicko to straighten us up as our kicking at goal has been woeful.

Hopefully it is a better Sunday and we can win on Greek Orthodox Easter. Will have Greek Easter lunch then will head off soon after to the footy. Go Dogs!

GVGjr
05-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Stevo just said Wallis will definitely play and Boyd wont.

Did he say if English would be supporting our other 3 first string ruckman in Dunkley, Jong and Bontempelli ? :)

bornadog
05-04-2018, 08:30 PM
INTERCHANGE FROM

3 Mitch Wallis
17 Tom Boyd
18 Fletcher Roberts
19 Lukas Webb
20 Ed Richards
22 Mitch Honeychurch
24 Shane Biggs
35 Caleb Daniel

I really would like to see Wallis, Boyd, Roberts and Daniel in.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2018, 08:46 PM
INTERCHANGE FROM

3 Mitch Wallis
17 Tom Boyd
18 Fletcher Roberts
19 Lukas Webb
20 Ed Richards
22 Mitch Honeychurch
24 Shane Biggs
35 Caleb Daniel

From that list, I'd go with Wallis, Boyd, Roberts and Biggs.

I suspect to see something different.

Rocco Jones
05-04-2018, 08:46 PM
INTERCHANGE FROM

3 Mitch Wallis
17 Tom Boyd
18 Fletcher Roberts
19 Lukas Webb
20 Ed Richards
22 Mitch Honeychurch
24 Shane Biggs
35 Caleb Daniel

Me too.

I think we will see Boyd out, with Honeychurch in.

Eastdog
05-04-2018, 08:47 PM
From the sports report on channel 7 they were saying Tom Boyd less likely to play.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-04-2018, 09:21 PM
From that list, I'd go with Wallis, Boyd, Roberts and Biggs.

I suspect to see something different.

I like your 4 ins, but do not see the need to play both Boyd and English in the one side. If Boyd is right to go then my preference would be for him to play instead of English. Surprised also to see Gowers retain his spot.

bornadog
06-04-2018, 12:09 AM
I like your 4 ins, but do not see the need to play both Boyd and English in the one side. If Boyd is right to go then my preference would be for him to play instead of English. Surprised also to see Gowers retain his spot.

I am not as he was our best forward last week. Missed two easy ones, but at least he was having shots at goal.

Hotdog60
06-04-2018, 06:45 AM
With Dickson and Redpath in this week it may let Gowers get a bit more of it. Just needs to convert.

Greystache
06-04-2018, 08:02 AM
You'd say the weakest 3 from that line up is Honeychurch, Richards, and Webb, so I'd expect them to play. Sounds like Wallis will play so that would be the 4th.

Ozza
06-04-2018, 01:18 PM
So if Boyd isn't playing.....when English is off the ground - Redpath (or Dunkley/Jong...god help us) have to ruck. If its Redpath - then we go back to a set up with zero tall forward like much of last week.

What happens if English gets injured?

What happens if one of the tallish (only 'tallish' since we aren't playing ANY tall defenders) goes down?

If Boyd and Roberts are both not selected - I have to have a serious think about whether its better for everyone that I don't attend this week.

Mofra
06-04-2018, 01:48 PM
So if Boyd isn't playing.....when English is off the ground - Redpath (or Dunkley/Jong...god help us) have to ruck. If its Redpath - then we go back to a set up with zero tall forward like much of last week.

What happens if English gets injured?

What happens if one of the tallish (only 'tallish' since we aren't playing ANY tall defenders) goes down?

If Boyd and Roberts are both not selected - I have to have a serious think about whether its better for everyone that I don't attend this week.
Dunkley?
He's 1cm taller than Shaun Grigg who did it for much of the year in 2017 at Richmond.

I worry if English has the tank yet to ruck 80%+ of the game.

Axe Man
06-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Dunkley?
He's 1cm taller than Shaun Grigg who did it for much of the year in 2017 at Richmond.

By that logic maybe we should have kept Jarrad Grant on the list as a ruckman because he is even taller than Dunkley and Grigg.

I would much prefer to see English and Boyd go 50/50 or 60/40 and leave Redpath forward all game.

Ozza
06-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Dunkley?

Grigg is a genuine pinch hitter - Nankervis rucks for the vast majority of the game - and as you've said, English would not yet have the capacity to ruck for that long.

Going in without another ruck/forward this week is madness. But I expect nothing less.

bornadog
06-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Grigg is a genuine pinch hitter - Nankervis rucks for the vast majority of the game - and as you've said, English would not yet have the capacity to ruck for that long.

Going in without another ruck/forward this week is madness. But I expect nothing less.

Let's assume if Boyd is not mentally up to it, who else do we have? Do we put Roberts in to ruck? Does Campbell get rushed in - which is a risk as well. Any suggestions?

Ozza
06-04-2018, 03:39 PM
Let's assume if Boyd is not mentally up to it, who else do we have? Do we put Roberts in to ruck? Does Campbell get rushed in - which is a risk as well. Any suggestions?

If Tom Boyd is not mentally up to it - then he shouldn't be picked on the extended bench to start with.

If Boyd can't play - then we have to pick Roberts (seeing as we haven't picked Lewis Young either) given the height Essendon have up forward. It is already alarming that we have Cordy as really the only option in the named side to stand Daniher. And next logical back up is Naughton in his third game.

bornadog
06-04-2018, 03:59 PM
If Tom Boyd is not mentally up to it - then he shouldn't be picked on the extended bench to start with.

If Boyd can't play - then we have to pick Roberts (seeing as we haven't picked Lewis Young either) given the height Essendon have up forward. It is already alarming that we have Cordy as really the only option in the named side to stand Daniher. And next logical back up is Naughton in his third game.

I agree I want to see Boyd in.

Just for comparison, last year we went in with Lewis Young and Cordy in the backline and Roughead in the ruck with Cloke at FF.

I am not saying that is ideal.

Cyberdoggie
06-04-2018, 04:07 PM
INTERCHANGE FROM

3 Mitch Wallis
17 Tom Boyd
18 Fletcher Roberts
19 Lukas Webb
20 Ed Richards
22 Mitch Honeychurch
24 Shane Biggs
35 Caleb Daniel

I only watched the game on the tv, and small one at that with many distractions last week, but I barely noticed Daniel was on the ground. Did he really do enough to get another game? or was he just asked to play in positions that didn't suit him?

Cyberdoggie
06-04-2018, 04:13 PM
If Boyd doesn't play we will get smashed in the ruck.

Last week we had 13 hitouts to 54. Surely we have to put Boyd there or it will be a bloodbath.

Mantis
06-04-2018, 04:30 PM

Last week we had 13 hitouts to 54. Surely we have to put Boyd there or it will be a bloodbath.

We still won the clearances (33-31) so is the HO count all that important?

If the HO count was 25-45 would this have resulted in more clearances to us?

Axe Man
06-04-2018, 04:31 PM

I want Boyd in too but despite the lopsided hit out count we still won the clearances.

Unfortunately we've got much bigger problems than hit outs.

Edit: Mantis beat me to it.

bornadog
06-04-2018, 04:36 PM
I only watched the game on the tv, and small one at that with many distractions last week, but I barely noticed Daniel was on the ground. Did he really do enough to get another game? or was he just asked to play in positions that didn't suit him?

Everyone was calling for Daniel to be played and why didn't he play in the GWS game, bloody MC doesn't know what they are doing etc etc.

Last week he had a shocker with two big turnovers resulting in direct goals. He was very rusty, and his skills were down, so it was obvious his interrupted preseason didn't help him.

Ozza
06-04-2018, 05:04 PM
We still won the clearances (33-31) so is the HO count all that important?

If the HO count was 25-45 would this have resulted in more clearances to us?

I'd like to know what the centre clearances count was within those numbers. Particularly the first half.
At the game it felt like we barely won a centre clearance, however, we did win them around the ground as we packed up the stoppages, won the clearance and kicked it to the free Eagles players behind the ball.

I'm not overly phased about the hit outs stat - but what was clear, was that the Eagles talls dominated us.

Ozza
06-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Everyone was calling for Daniel to be played and why didn't he play in the GWS game, bloody MC doesn't know what they are doing etc etc.

Last week he had a shocker with two big turnovers resulting in direct goals. He was very rusty, and his skills were down, so it was obvious his interrupted preseason didn't help him.

He had a shocker - but wasn't exactly given the best chance to succeed - being played as a forward for the first half, and a defender for the second half.

bornadog
06-04-2018, 05:11 PM
I'd like to know what the centre clearances count was within those numbers. Particularly the first half.
At the game it felt like we barely won a centre clearance, however, we did win them around the ground as we packed up the stoppages, won the clearance and kicked it to the free Eagles players behind the ball.

I'm not overly phased about the hit outs stat - but what was clear, was that the Eagles talls dominated us.

Centre Clearances were 15 to WC 13, but I agree the first half looked like one way traffick.

Mantis
06-04-2018, 05:14 PM
He had a shocker - but wasn't exactly given the best chance to succeed - being played as a forward for the first half, and a defender for the second half.

But at least he showed some versatility. ;)

Caleb was pretty much useless in JLT1, then missed JLT2 so is in despearte need of some form.

Mofra
06-04-2018, 05:18 PM
From afl.com:
Interchange

3 Mitch Wallis
20 Ed Richards
22 Mitch Honeychurch
35 Caleb Daniel

Emergencies

17 Tom Boyd
18 Fletcher Roberts
19 Lukas Webb
24 Shane Biggs

Ozza
06-04-2018, 05:21 PM
From afl.com:
Interchange

3 Mitch Wallis
20 Ed Richards
22 Mitch Honeychurch
35 Caleb Daniel

Emergencies

17 Tom Boyd
18 Fletcher Roberts
19 Lukas Webb
24 Shane Biggs

Gee whiz. Must be confident that we won't get an injury or have any match up issues for the game.....I guess we are overdue for either of those things to occur.

Sedat
06-04-2018, 05:27 PM
What exactly was the point of playing Webb for 1 game and dropping him straight away?

bornadog
06-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Tom should have been in for either Richards or Daniel.

In

Tory Dickson,
Jack Redpath,
Mitch Wallis

Out:
OUT

Jordan Roughead (Injured),
Lukas Webb (Omitted),
Jackson Trengove (Injured)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-04-2018, 05:48 PM
English is going to be knackered.
I wonder if Dunkley and Jong are going to be notional ruck options, to essentially try and get an upper hand in clearances.
If we don't control the middle The Injectors forwards are going to have a day out.

bornadog
06-04-2018, 05:55 PM
English is going to be knackered.
I wonder if Dunkley and Jong are going to be notional ruck options, to essentially try and get an upper hand in clearances.
If we don't control the middle The Injectors forwards are going to have a day out.

Well Jong for me is lucky to be playing.

josie
06-04-2018, 05:58 PM
Why does Williams have repeat opportunities to play and not Webb? I think Webb is the better kick and neither are much chop at tackling. Both a bit slow, with imo Webb the better decision maker. Both can mark ok but not great. Williams a little taller? Feel sorry for Webb and agree we should have primed our last harder of middling players in last few years. Hope English’s young body is not pummeled to smithereens. I quite liked Webb playing in forward wings as his delivery is better than most in our team. Oh well, x fingers mc have it right or at least better than last fortnight.

Axe Man
06-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Well Jong for me is lucky to be playing.

It was his first game back from a knee reco and almost had his face caved in by English so he deserves another game. Need more from him though (and most of his teammates as well).

hujsh
06-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Why does Williams have repeat opportunities to play and not Webb? I think Webb is the better kick and neither are much chop at tackling. Both a bit slow, with imo Webb the better decision maker. Both can mark ok but not great. Williams a little taller? Feel sorry for Webb and agree we should have primed our last harder of middling players in last few years. Hope English’s young body is not pummeled to smithereens. I quite liked Webb playing in forward wings as his delivery is better than most in our team. Oh well, x fingers mc have it right or at least better than last fortnight.

Well Williams is better in the air, definitely faster (wouldn't call him slow) and can get the ball more than 12 times a game. I'd guess that's why he's in the team ahead of Webb.

FrediKanoute
06-04-2018, 06:50 PM
I want Boyd in too but despite the lopsided hit out count we still won the clearances.

Unfortunately we've got much bigger problems than hit outs.

Edit: Mantis beat me to it.

Bevo doesn't rate ruckmen unless they are midfielder ruckmen. English actually is and from what I've seen in his first 2 games, with a little more confidence the kid will be a gun. Needs to hold those marks (the simple ones) and get forward a little more, but he will be a gun. Sadly though, this week, the 4 game veteran is going to get smashed with no support.

azabob
06-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Really puzzled by the in’s. Both Roberts and Boyd for mine should be playing.

Midfield has been putrid and so has our ball use.

Hooker, Daniher, Stringer, Stewart will be pushing each other out of the way to mark the footy.

kruder
06-04-2018, 07:30 PM
The curse of the Bulldogs talls continue. I'm not sure why I thought we were over a midget playing ruck, you can lock it in with this list.

GVGjr
06-04-2018, 08:20 PM

We should not assume that. He's twice or 3 times been named as an emergency and by definition he is ready to go. Lack of form or team balance are the only things we should assume

Ghost Dog
06-04-2018, 08:31 PM
There was a VFL write up where they claimed Bevo had a go at Tom for not coming off the bench fast enough.
Anyone else read that? I'm pretty concerned about English and other young players as well getting injured. If one of our young guys gets badly clunked by not having enough experience in there I will be furious.

G-Mo77
06-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Lets just get English pulverised each week, lets also give Naughton the Zac Dawson treatment.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
I know Stringer has looked severely out of touch..but I think he looms large over the game and him having a night out could really sink the confidence of our team. We're already teetering. And a big game or influential contribution by him could really hurt our ability to fight our way out of our slump.
So...who gets him and how do we plan to knock him off his game?

Greystache
Cordy will be battling with Buddy for most goal involvements this season but Roberts gets one game and out. Maybe Cordy's versatility is the difference... he has a greater range of players that can kick goals on him.

G-Mo77
06-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Cordy will be battling with Buddy for most goal involvements this season but Roberts gets one game and out. Maybe Cordy's versatility is the difference... he has a greater range of players that can kick goals on him.

Roberts was apparently sick last Thursday so they couldn't pick him, nevermind the emergencies we had. Maybe he was still carrying that illness this week. :D

Sedat
06-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Cordy will be battling with Buddy for most goal involvements this season
Liam Jones giving a good account in this stat as well. Also had 10 kicked on him in R22 last year.

Mantis
07-04-2018, 07:09 AM
It's really hard to get excited when it looks like we are throwing our KPP's into a slaughterhouse!

* English isn't ready to play the role of the sole ruckman... the guys who plays 80-85% in that position... Good luck kid + don't get injured because who the *!*!*!*! know's who our 2nd ruck is.

* Redpath can't play the role of the only key forward in our current team... He is extremely limited in the air and doesn't 'crash packs' which seems our mantra in going forward, long bombs to the hot spot and see what happens.. If we can lower our eyes and hit up Jack he can be handy, but who has confidence that will happen? He's also limited on the ground and his lack of agility doesn't help defensively.

* Cordy and Naughton are as far off being solid key defenders as you can imagine, but through both necessity and choice it's left up to them.. If the defensive pressure isn't amazing I feel they will get destroyed by the likes of Daniher, Hooker and Stewart.

Will be up in the sky for most of the game and I'm already dreading the the announcement 'You can now switch phones off my flight mode' because you the first thing I'll be doing... I might need to keep the vomit bag close by.

Twodogs
07-04-2018, 07:17 AM
It's really hard to get excited when it looks like we are throwing our KPP's into a slaughterhouse!

* English isn't ready to play the role of the sole ruckman... the guys who plays 80-85% in that position... Good luck kid + don't get injured because who the *!*!*!*! know's who our 2nd ruck is.

* Redpath can't play the role of the only key forward in our current team... He is extremely limited in the air and doesn't 'crash packs' which seems our mantra in going forward, long bombs to the hot spot and see what happens.. If we can lower our eyes and hit up Jack he can be handy, but who has confidence that will happen? He's also limited on the ground and his lack of agility doesn't help defensively.

* Cordy and Naughton are as far off being solid key defenders as you can imagine, but through both necessity and choice it's left up to them.. If the defensive pressure isn't amazing I feel they will get destroyed by the likes of Daniher, Hooker and Stewart.

Will be up in the sky for most of the game and I'm already dreading the the announcement 'You can now switch phones off my flight mode' because you the first thing I'll be doing... I might need to keep the vomit bag close by.

It might be worth asking for a spare.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2018, 07:33 PM

You might be ordering the inflight champagne, never know! Cordy is a premiership player and has absolutely no excuses. I expect him to hold Joe to a few goals and hopefully knee someone in the head.

Mantis
07-04-2018, 07:53 PM
You might be ordering the inflight champagne, never know! Cordy is a premiership player and has absolutely no excuses. I expect him to hold Joe to a few goals and hopefully knee someone in the head.

Cordy played CHF in our premiership and is yet to show he is capable as a key defender... and from memory Joe kicked 6 or 7 against us last year when we were playing better footy.

Joe might already be in the change rooms.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2018, 08:13 PM
This will be uglier than the first two weeks.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2018, 08:34 PM
This will be uglier than the first two weeks.

We have a more experienced side this week (at least insofar as games in our colours) so we should be expecting a better turnout than the first two rounds.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Cordy played CHF in our premiership and is yet to show he is capable as a key defender... and from memory Joe kicked 6 or 7 against us last year when we were playing better footy.

Joe might already be in the change rooms.

Mitch Wallis will be in so everyone relax. As a result, our backs will be bored all night. Essendon will be denied any feed. You'll see. :)

Twodogs
09-04-2018, 06:46 AM

Did you ask for the vomit bag?

Twodogs
10-04-2018, 11:24 PM
I'm starting to worry about Mantis, has anyone seen him since Sunday? Did his plane land OK?