PDA

View Full Version : AFL Round 1, 2018 Discussion

Eastdog
16-03-2018, 01:22 AM
ROUND 1, 2018

Thursday March 22

Richmond v Carlton, MCG (7.25pm)

Friday March 23

Essendon v Adelaide, Etihad Stadium (7.50pm)

Saturday March 24

St Kilda v Brisbane Lions, Etihad Stadium (3.35pm)

Port Adelaide v Fremantle, Adelaide Oval (4.35pm)

Gold Coast Suns v North Melbourne, Cazaly’s Stadium — Cairns (7.25pm)

Hawthorn v Collingwood at MCG (7.25pm)

Sunday, March 25

GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs, UNSW Canberra Oval (1.10pm)

Melbourne v Geelong, MCG (3.20pm)

West Coast Eagles v Sydney Swans, Perth Stadium (7.20pm)

Twodogs
18-03-2018, 07:49 AM
I would like to take the opportunity to be the first poster this season to post in a discussion thread.

mjp
18-03-2018, 09:09 PM
That this thread is even UP makes me happy.

ledge
18-03-2018, 09:28 PM
I see an embarrassing first game coming on.
Richmond will make mince meat of Carlton.

Remi Moses
18-03-2018, 11:41 PM
Wow ! What a blockbuster first up :rolleyes:
Hoping the crows cream the overhyped club of rogue supplements.
Gotta think The dees will never get a better chance of knocking over the cats with a third of their side out
West coast have no midfield , and the other games besides ours , don’t excite

westdog54
19-03-2018, 12:23 AM
That this thread is even UP makes me happy.

Seconded.

I see an embarrassing first game coming on.
Richmond will make mince meat of Carlton.

It will be very, very untidy. I don't know what the record is for the highest round 1 defeat but I can see it toppling in this game.

Twodogs
19-03-2018, 01:24 AM
. It will be very, very untidy. I don't know what the record is for the highest round 1 defeat but I can see it toppling in this game.

Did we beat Richmond by 100+ points under Rocket in round 1, one year?

westdog54
19-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Did we beat Richmond by 100+ points under Rocket in round 1, one year?

2006. I was there. It was joyful.

We were pulling goals out of our arses in the 3rd quarter and Wallace ended up putting Richo loose in defence to try and stop the bleeding.

It didn't work.

Ozza
19-03-2018, 09:57 AM
Wow ! What a blockbuster first up :rolleyes:
Hoping the crows cream the overhyped club of rogue supplements.
Gotta think The dees will never get a better chance of knocking over the cats with a third of their side out
West coast have no midfield , and the other games besides ours , don’t excite

Other years I have been one to complain.....but there will be 100,000 at the ground as they unfurl the flag. It will be a monster night.

The Adelaide Connection
19-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Other years I have been one to complain.....but there will be 100,000 at the ground as they unfurl the flag. It will be a monster night.

Too bad it is against a club that most think will struggle to finish above the bottom rung of the ladder. Imagine a pissed off Crows team travelling over with 15,000, getting angry, looking for some sort of retribution, and trying to spoil the party.

This game should be the GF replay or rotated around amongst all clubs. One or the other.

Rocket Science
22-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Premiership hangover!

Flamethrower
22-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Only one certainty this round - unfortunately it is our game.

Would love Charlie Curnow in our forward line.

Go_Dogs
22-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Hate to say it, but I'm watching and enjoying tonight - guess I'm still a footy nerd at heart.

Great to see Garlett have an impact early.

Remi Moses
22-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Gotta say got it wrong
Carlton competitive so far , and playing with a bit of flair

Remi Moses
22-03-2018, 09:41 PM

Monster night who ever they play , but shouldn’t be exclusively Carlton every year .
The comp is just so compromised it isn’t funny

Daughter of the West
22-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Is it just me, or what the hell is going on with Carlton's shorts? Did they get put through the wash with a team's worth new jeans?

Sedat
22-03-2018, 10:33 PM
The swap a couple of years ago of pick 11 (Charlie Curnow) for picks 20 and 21 (Josh Dunkley and Keiran Collins) is not looking flash at the moment. Dunks is terrific but Curnow is an absolute jet. Need Collins to come good and fast.

Go_Dogs
22-03-2018, 10:42 PM
If there's a market for how many 'protected zone' free kicks we will give away Sunday, I'm setting the line at 5 and putting my hard earned on an overs result...

The bulldog tragician
22-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Is it just me, or what the hell is going on with Carlton's shorts? Did they get put through the wash with a team's worth new jeans?
I had exactly the same thought. Doesn’t Carlton’s budget extend to a bit of White King to keep those shorts looking pearly white?

Apart from the dingy shorts, Carlton have played well, in fact with both teams their fast and creative movement into the forward line reminds me of what went completely missing for us last year.

Twodogs
22-03-2018, 11:21 PM

Someone has put those shorts in with the colours.

The swap a couple of years ago of pick 11 (Charlie Curnow) for picks 20 and 21 (Josh Dunkley and Keiran Collins) is not looking flash at the moment. Dunks is terrific but Curnow is an absolute jet. Need Collins to come good and fast.

I get what you mean. Curnow has all the tools to be very good player but Dunks has a premiership Medallian around his neck already. I don't know that Curnow could have done what Dunkley did for us on Grand Final day 2016. Maybe Curnow is ready to take that step now but Dunkley was ready then, when we needed him to step up.

Not everybody can. Indeed there were a few on the Swans side that didn't on the day and it's probably those four or five performances that cost them.

Sedat
22-03-2018, 11:53 PM
I get what you mean. Curnow has all the tools to be very good player but Dunks has a premiership Medallian around his neck already. I don't know that Curnow could have done what Dunkley did for us on Grand Final day 2016. Maybe Curnow is ready to take that step now but Dunkley was ready then, when we needed him to step up..
I love Dunks - he is honest, brave, has strong hands, and reads the play very well. But Curnow is potential top 5 in the comp - he is Bont-esque, and might actually reach that level in 2018 and will continue for another 10+ years.

We desperately need Collins to come good to justify that trade.

jeemak
22-03-2018, 11:55 PM
Were we definitely taking Curnow were we?

bornadog
22-03-2018, 11:57 PM
Were we definitely taking Curnow were we?

We actually don't know, we may have gone for a mid.

Twodogs
23-03-2018, 12:29 AM
I love Dunks - he is honest, brave, has strong hands, and reads the play very well. But Curnow is potential top 5 in the comp - he is Bont-esque, and might actually reach that level in 2018 and will continue for another 10+ years.

We desperately need Collins to come good to justify that trade.

But my point is Dunkley was ready to play a part in winning a premiership in 2016 and if we had taken Curnow then he probably wouldn't have been and maybe that turns the game in Sydney's favour? Curnow might lead Carltin to five premierships but Josh Dunkley has played in one already.

Potential is just that

chef
23-03-2018, 08:55 AM

Were we even interested in Curnow?

Dunks played a pretty big role in our flag. I'm content with it.

jeemak
23-03-2018, 11:42 AM
I posted elsewhere that I think Dunkley is a bit of a freak, and we'll see that with some continuity.

Having said that, Curnow is going to be something extra special. If Schache comes along then it will be a consolation, if all of Dunkley, Collins and Schache become good long term senior players for us then we walk away from the 2015 draft big winners.

Cyberdoggie
23-03-2018, 01:39 PM

Worst decision ever. Why were they allowed to wear grey to begin with when they aren't even wearing a clash Guernsey.
The only bit of colour that would normally distinguished them from Richmond is the white away shorts and they were a dark grey.

What was with those bizarre sweat pocket panels on the back. Seemed to get darker the sweatier the players got.
I'm sure some material scientist came up with this great idea in the nike laboratory, but that was just weird.

I get clubs want to alter their look each year to sell new gear but seriously the AFL are so lax when it comes to policing this. You can throw in umpires clashing with teams as well. Not that it happened last night but at least once a year we see it.
Seriously, how hard is it to approve and check all this before hand.

bornadog
23-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Worst decision ever. Why were they allowed to wear grey to begin with when they aren't even wearing a clash Guernsey.
The only bit of colour that would normally distinguished them from Richmond is the white away shorts and they were a dark grey.

What was with those bizarre sweat pocket panels on the back. Seemed to get darker the sweatier the players got.
I'm sure some material scientist came up with this great idea in the nike laboratory, but that was just weird.

I get clubs want to alter their look each year to sell new gear but seriously the AFL are so lax when it comes to policing this. You can throw in umpires clashing with teams as well. Not that it happened last night but at least once a year we see it.

Why do we care?

Axe Man
23-03-2018, 03:54 PM
If there's a market for how many 'protected zone' free kicks we will give away Sunday, I'm setting the line at 5 and putting my hard earned on an overs result...

The umpires seem to do this every year. First round it's 50 metres if you glance at the player within a 20 metre radius. In a few rounds time you could probably to a cartwheel through the mark and nothing will be called.

In all seriousness the players should be fully aware the umpires are going to be red hot on it after last nights game and not enter the area.

Rocket Science
23-03-2018, 04:42 PM

Apparently the pocket-like patches are a chamois patch addition to the shorts for players to dry their hands on.

Never mind the fact the shorts looked like the new bootstudder mistakenly tossed them in the wash with new guernseys.

Axe Man
23-03-2018, 04:48 PM
The umpires seem to do this every year. First round it's 50 metres if you glance at the player within a 20 metre radius. In a few rounds time you could probably to a cartwheel through the mark and nothing will be called.

In all seriousness the players should be fully aware the umpires are going to be red hot on it after last nights game and not enter the area.

Now the umpires department have come out and stated that 2 of the protected area 50 metre calls were wrong and another was marginal.

bornadog
23-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Now the umpires department have come out and stated that 2 of the protected area 50 metre calls were wrong and another was marginal.

If they can't get a simple thing like that right, god help us for the rest of the season.

Rocket Science
23-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Isn't it just their usual early season overcorrection to condition player behaviour before the howls of confusion grow and they invariably knock it back a gear?

Anything until that point's just collateral damage.

bornadog
23-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Isn't it just their usual early season overcorrection to condition player behaviour before the howls of confusion grow and they invariably knock it back a gear?

Anything until that point's just collateral damage.

They pick one area every year and it's over kill. Last year it was deliberate out of bounds which killed us in the GWS game.

Ozza
23-03-2018, 07:37 PM
If they can't get a simple thing like that right, god help us for the rest of the season.

At least they have come out and addressed it immediately - said that the umpires on the night got it wrong - and set the path that the remaining games should not be officiated that way.

I think in previous years, they have let the whole of the first round, or sometimes several rounds, play out before addressing it. Prefer this approach where the intent is to nip it in the bud before we get a whole round of over the top/pedantic calls.

Rocket Science
23-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Will confess to watching our former #9 with interest this eve.

If there's an opponent trying to continually cheat out the back doesn't work against, it's the Crows.

ReLoad
23-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Will confess to watching our former #9 with interest this eve.

If there's an opponent trying to continually cheat out the back doesn't work against, it's the Crows.

Me too. They are dreaming if they think he is a midfielder. You couldn’t get a more one way player ever!
Did anyone see Woosha interviewed when the bombers ran out? Not even he knows WTF stringer is on. - forgetting his wallet, keys and ground pass. Lol

Maybe he left them at his girlfriends parents place......

westdog54
23-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Me too. They are dreaming if they think he is a midfielder. You couldn’t get a more one way player ever!
Did anyone see Woosha interviewed when the bombers ran out? Not even he knows WTF stringer is on. - forgetting his wallet, keys and ground pass. Lol

Maybe he left them at his girlfriends parents place......

Has at least shaved his head and gotten rid of that riduculous top bun.

Rocket Science
23-03-2018, 08:51 PM
Strewth. Jakey's been on the pie diet.

AndrewP6
23-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Bruuuce nearly blew a foofer valve as Stringer took a mark. One single solitary mark. Dont forget, he is a bull. A bull.

Lazy, not fond of exerting themselves, and and sullen. Yep, a bull.

chef
23-03-2018, 09:08 PM
I hope the package plays well. I hope he can get his shit together and give his girls something to be proud of.

hujsh
23-03-2018, 10:26 PM
I hope the package plays well. I hope he can get his shit together and give his girls something to be proud of.

His kids or the ones he dates?

GVGjr
23-03-2018, 10:30 PM
It shoudn't matter to them what Jake the footballer does but it makes a big difference if he makes them proud of him being the best version of Jake the Dad he can. The footy side of things won't mean much to them

chef
23-03-2018, 10:40 PM
It shoudn't matter to them what Jake the footballer does but it makes a big difference if he makes them proud of him being the best version of Jake the Dad he can. The footy side of things won't mean much to them

Yeah, i meant off tye field getting his dhit together. Im sure the footy stuff will mean the earth to them too though.

Eastdog
23-03-2018, 11:31 PM
2 weeks from now will be a fierce local derby against the Dons. Cmon Dogs!

Greystache
24-03-2018, 12:31 AM

I fear with the combination of their Dad and their Mum there will be little to be proud of. That is of course unless their moral compass or badly skewed, which is entirely possible.

The Adelaide Connection
24-03-2018, 03:18 AM
Essendon v Adelaide
What a rank game. These two teams made Carlton look elite. Poor skills and endless rushed kicks that resulted in easy turnovers. Both teams looked fatigued the whole game.

Stringer’s first half was average. Bruce was talking up how impressive he had been and someone in the commentary box audibly scoffed. His second half was terrible and he spent most of the time running around in circles 5 yards behind play. He went close to not even touching it in the second half. I’ll tell you what he did do well- enthusiastically congratulating people with pats on the backs and high fives. I guess that’s something.

Final thoughts: The Crows, who have been blessed with a freakishly good record of never getting anyone injured, ever are finding out what life with injuries is like. They may just find some newfound respect for us.

G-Mo77
24-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Yeah awful game. I turned it off at quarter time. Stringer has got to get 3 votes the way they gushed over him. I'll watch very few games outside of the WB. The game is getting harder to watch every year and the muppets talking over the top makes it worse. I can't remember the last time I've been so disinterested in the "football"

soupman
24-03-2018, 10:28 AM
Ok....I really enjoyed last nights game and thought it was entertaining.

I hate the fact the Essendon won, but aside from that it was an excellent last quarter from them, and that crowd was going nuts. Honestly looked amazing to be a part of.

Hotdog60
24-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Yeah awful game. I turned it off at quarter time. Stringer has got to get 3 votes the way they gushed over him. I'll watch very few games outside of the WB. The game is getting harder to watch every year and the muppets talking over the top makes it worse. I can't remember the last time I've been so disinterested in the "football"
I'm Kinda with you on this one. I won't miss a Doggies game men and women but as for the rest.
Last nights game was so good at quarter time I started watching Game of Thrones again and that was the end of the football.

hujsh
24-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Stringer’s first half was average. Bruce was talking up how impressive he had been and someone in the commentary box audibly scoffed. His second half was terrible and he spent most of the time running around in circles 5 yards behind play. He went close to not even touching it in the second half. I’ll tell you what he did do well- enthusiastically congratulating people with pats on the backs and high fives. I guess that’s something.

Looks like a possible pattern is emerging. Question of if he can even build up the fitness base to play mid in the AFL (or become so great at reading the play he can just walk around the field)

The Adelaide Connection
24-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Ok....I really enjoyed last nights game and thought it was entertaining.

I hate the fact the Essendon won, but aside from that it was an excellent last quarter from them, and that crowd was going nuts. Honestly looked amazing to be a part of.

I thought that the only entertaining aspect was that it was close. It felt like a scrappy preseason game to me, but to be fair it is only round 1 and both teams were missing key personnel (Merret going out early would certainly have added some lactic acid to a few legs). Both teams would want to seriously work on their skills.

I think Adelaide are going to be in a bit of strife against Richmond next week.

Twodogs
24-03-2018, 12:35 PM
I didn't think it was a terrible game but could of been because it was the second night of footy for the year.

The lack of defending by either team has me excited about playing them. Adelaide are in a similiar position to us with a few key players out so I was keen to see what they would do with just the one key defender v a team with key talls already that kept loading up with talls in attack at every opportunity. Like GWS will.

Greystache
24-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Watching a bit of the St K vs Bris game. Wow, what an appalling standard. The skill level is horrendous, short kicks missing the target by 10m, short handballs missing the mark, fumbles, and terrible goal kicking. I can't understand how as the game continues to get more professional the skill level is getting worse. This isn't watchable.

Mofra
24-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Watching a bit of the St K vs Bris game. Wow, what an appalling standard. The skill level is horrendous, short kicks missing the target by 10m, short handballs missing the mark, fumbles, and terrible goal kicking. I can't understand how as the game continues to get more professional the skill level is getting worse. This isn't watchable.
Brisbane will be a good team in time but they are raw as hell.
Still not convinced by St Kilda, love Jack Steven though.

Sedat
24-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Pies always flatter to deceive. Guys like Treloar and Adams are ball butchers as bad as anyone in the comp.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Darcy Macpherson seems to be going well at GC.

Twodogs
24-03-2018, 11:17 PM
Darcy Macpherson seems to be going well at GC.

He's got a touch of nastiness too like his dad.

I'd like to see him do well.

Sedat
25-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Geelong kissed on the you-know-what again to start this season. They are ridiculously lucky in close games.

bornadog
25-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Geelong kissed on the you-know-what again to start this season. They are ridiculously lucky in close games.

What a ridiculous miss from Gawn - AFL player and can't kick straight from 15 metres out

Ozza
25-03-2018, 07:19 PM

In fairness...Menzel could have sealed it earlier also - he missed a far simpler shot than Gawn’s...plus one other straight after.

Sedat
25-03-2018, 07:53 PM
In fairness...Menzel could have sealed it earlier also - he missed a far simpler shot than Gawn’s...plus one other straight after.
True. One of them in particular was a soda. But the Dees did kick 1.7 in the last qtr and the ball lived in their F50 the last 5 minutes. Geeling under that turd Chris Scott have had an unbelievable run in close games and frankly it shits me :D

Remi Moses
25-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Geelong kissed on the arse by a rainbow again . Game Melbourne should have won
I turned Bris v saints off as it was unwatchable. Port looked decent against woeful opposition .
Didn’t see sat night games , but the pressure on Buckley is going to teach breaking point on that effort .

Remi Moses
25-03-2018, 09:28 PM
True. One of them in particular was a soda. But the Dees did kick 1.7 in the last qtr and the ball lived in their F50 the last 5 minutes. Geeling under that turd Chris Scott have had an unbelievable run in close games and frankly it shits me :D
Does he realise what a complete d*** he looks like throwing his arms out when an umpire dares give a free against his team ?

Rocket Science
25-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Geelong kissed on the arse by a rainbow again . Game Melbourne should have won
I turned Bris v saints off as it was unwatchable. Port looked decent against woeful opposition .
Didn’t see sat night games , but the pressure on Buckley is going to teach breaking point on that effort .

Ya know the knives are already being sharpened when the stat being bandied about is that the Buckley-led Pies have allowed 4 of the 5 highest individual-possession games in the history of the sport...apparently.