PDA

View Full Version : AFL Round 2, 2018 Discussion

Eastdog
16-03-2018, 01:24 AM
ROUND 2, 2018

Thursday March 29

Adelaide v Richmond, Adelaide Oval (7.50pm)

Friday March 30

North Melbourne v St Kilda, Etihad Stadium (4.20pm)

Saturday March 31

Carlton v Gold Coast Suns, Etihad Stadium (1.45pm)

Collingwood v GWS Giants, MCG (4.35pm)

Brisbane Lions v Melbourne, Gabba (7.25pm)

Fremantle v Essendon, Perth Stadium (8.10pm)

Sunday April 1

Western Bulldogs v West Coast Eagles, Etihad Stadium (3.20pm)

Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide, SCG (4.40pm)

Monday April 2

Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG (3.20pm)

bornadog
30-03-2018, 12:55 AM
Darcy Fogarty looked good tonight.

MrMahatma
30-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Darcy Fogarty looked good tonight.

He's a gun

Go_Dogs
30-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Agree on Darcy Fogarty, looked very good.

May be a few clubs already regretting let him slip through to the Crows.

Was glad to see the Crows have a win. Will be interesting to see how teams attempt to stop Laird - he's due for some JJ like attention given the start he's having and how well he kicks the ball.

Twodogs
30-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Fogarty has a health concern that left him in the pool longer than most thought. Was it a heart problem? IIRC he will never be able to build up the fitness base to play anywhere else but in the forward line.

Do I remember that right?

GVGjr
30-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Fogarty has a health concern that left him in the pool longer than most thought. Was it a heart problem? IIRC he will never be able to build up the fitness base to play anywhere else but in the forward line.

Do I remember that right?

No, that was Stephenson who Collingwood selected.

Twodogs
30-03-2018, 12:50 PM
No, that was Stephenson who Collingwood selected.

Oh well bung goes that theory then.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Oh well bung goes that theory then.

Fogarty did have a knee injury last year i think it was a MCL

Happy Days
30-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Fogarty looks incredible but plenty before him have looked this good and not found a tank to go to the next level. Plus it seems inevitable that he'll (hypothetically) wrap a crutch around someone's head outside whatever Adelaide's version of Zagames is.

Not willing to say we've made an error in Naughton just yet.

Twodogs
30-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Fogarty did have a knee injury last year i think it was a MCL

Oh well then. It's sure to keep happening then while Naughton and Richards will win multiple Sutton medals.

Nothing surer.

Rocket Science
30-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Oh jeez stop tip-toeing around it we'd LOVE a bloke like Fogarty.

chef
30-03-2018, 02:16 PM
With how desperate we are for KPDs I'm pretty happy with Naughton.

Rocket Science
30-03-2018, 02:53 PM
With how desperate we are for KPDs I'm pretty happy with Naughton.

Right you are, Naughton looks a good'un and it's not like we'd actually kick it to Fogarty anyway.

Twodogs
30-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Right you are, Naughton looks a good'un and it's not like we'd actually kick it to Fogarty anyway.

Or even worse we could try and kick it to him and give the poor kid no chance at all of getting a clean possession and a shot on goal! ;)

Anyway there's only one way to sort this out, Fogarty and Naughton one on one, Mano el Mano when we play the Crows!

azabob
30-03-2018, 03:12 PM
So North not only get a 2nd crack at Good Friday they get to be the home team again...

Remi Moses
30-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Adelaide murdered the tigers around the footy
Richmond starting to get scored heavily against

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Oh well then. It's sure to keep happening then while Naughton and Richards will win multiple Sutton medals.

Nothing surer.

I hope both Naughton and Richards turn out to be very good for us.
I just wish we had been able to parlay the picks we got for Stringer obviously with something else into a pick we could've used for Fogarty, instead of Schache.
It probably would've meant foregoing one of Richards or Naughton though.
Fogarty certainly looks like a type who would increasingly be the type who could've offset the loss of Stringer's skillset.

ratsmac
30-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Fogarty comes across as a kid that would of wanted to go back to Adelaide had an interstate team picked him up and that's the reason everyone passed on him. Probably a silly theory but you never know.

Twodogs
30-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Fogarty comes across as a kid that would of wanted to go back to Adelaide had an interstate team picked him up and that's the reason everyone passed on him. Probably a silly theory but you never know.

A lot of kids think that until they get out of their hometown (be it Adelaide or anywhere else) and make a life for themselves in their new town. A new girlfriend in the new location helps a lot too.

Sedat
30-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Awesome looking crowd for Good Friday - lol

bulldogtragic
30-03-2018, 05:47 PM
$5,000 per goal by the AFEL to the appeal today. These teams ensuring sick kids will stay that way with 1.8 in the first quarter...

bulldogsthru&thru
30-03-2018, 05:49 PM
At the game. Will be lucky to get 40k for crowd. My guess would be 33-35k

bulldogtragic
30-03-2018, 05:52 PM
At the game. Will be lucky to get 40k for crowd. My guess would be 33-35k

I wonder if that's enough to put us back in the frame next year?

hujsh
30-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Nah I'm sure we'll hear about how St.Kilda didn't bring in enough people or market the game enough. Best to just bring in Carlton.

Remi Moses
30-03-2018, 06:37 PM
What an appalling game . Good to see Norf pack it out :rolleyes:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Nah I'm sure we'll hear about how St.Kilda didn't bring in enough people or market the game enough. Best to just bring in Carlton.

Unfortunately i tend to think it will be something like that, especially if Carlton do relatively well this year

Rocket Science
30-03-2018, 06:54 PM
What a quality, stand-alone showcase for the game.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-03-2018, 07:38 PM
33,966 in attendance. 9k less than last year

Sedat
30-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Billings > Bontempelli apparently. Lol Saints fans.

Top crowd too. Well done AFL :rolleyes:

Remi Moses
30-03-2018, 08:42 PM
So we lose the game after a sellout . Yet they replace us with the afl’s comedy club, and get 9 thou less !
Wonderful thinking from the afl :mad:
Stkilda were awful , and just so beige . Big heat on Richardson this week
Billing’s isn’t fit to wipe the Bont’s a***

ratsmac
30-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Billings > Bontempelli apparently. Lol Saints fans.

Top crowd too. Well done AFL :rolleyes:

Have I missed something or do Saints actually think Billings name should be even mentioned with the Bont's?
Bontempelli could retire now and will have had a better career than a Billings 10+ year career. Billings is a handy player but c'mon sainters, be serious.

Twodogs
30-03-2018, 10:09 PM
I wonder if that's enough to put us back in the frame next year?

Nope. It will somehow be our fault that the two shitkicker clubs the AFL insisted play this game couldn't draw a cloud. Everything is always our fault. Either that or we get punished for it.

It can't continue to go on like this. The AFL commission will end up running the competition into dust. You could even argue that they have run it into the dust with the state of grass roots footy and Tasmanian football.

If footy dies in Tasmania then the game dies, it's as simple as that. Tassie provides players, supporters and money to cash strapped Victorian clubs (personally I think that Hawthorn continuing to take millions to play a couple of games there while Tasmanian football crumbles is pretty much the same thing as taking money from poker machines but anyway) and if that section of the infrastructure of footy collapsed I can't see Victoria, SA and WA filling in the gap.

Happy Days
31-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Tom Lynch just destroyed the Blues and our man Jonesy.

Jones still somehow looked better in having 8 hung on him than Weitering did, who is probably unselectable next week. He's just about the softest player in the league and can't get near it right now.

FrediKanoute
31-03-2018, 06:45 PM
Pies showing how to play contested footy against GWS. They wont win, but they wont get smashed either

chef
31-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Makes our effort last week even more embarrassing

Dry Rot
31-03-2018, 07:25 PM
Makes our effort last week even more embarrassing

Only listening to fragments of radio commentary while doing other things.

What things are the Pies doing today that are much better than us last week?

chef
31-03-2018, 07:30 PM

1%'s.

They are just having a crack, chasing, tackling and all the unglamorous stuff that we just ignored last week.

They wont win but at least they are 'earning' their wage this week. As a fan thats all you can ask.

Flamethrower
31-03-2018, 07:44 PM

Trying, and not impersonating witches hats.

To be fair though, the Great Waste of Space have an irrational fear of playing at the MCG - it is their Kryptonite.

FrediKanoute
31-03-2018, 08:16 PM
1%'s.

They are just having a crack, chasing, tackling and all the unglamorous stuff that we just ignored last week.

They wont win but at least they are 'earning' their wage this week. As a fan thats all you can ask.

This! They are putting the Giants under pressure. By hanging in there they give them selves a chance. Our guys last week were pathetic in comparison.

Eastdog
31-03-2018, 08:41 PM
This! They are putting the Giants under pressure. By hanging in there they give them selves a chance. Our guys last week were pathetic in comparison.

We must do the 1%ers tomorrow.

jeemak
31-03-2018, 10:02 PM
I really like what EFC is doing with the Stringer boy....

bornadog
31-03-2018, 10:02 PM
I really like what EFC is doing with the Stringer boy....

Not watching at the moment - what's happening?

jeemak
31-03-2018, 10:12 PM
He’s useless, head isn’t in it.

Close and reasonably entertaining game, Dockers up 50-43 just before half time.

bornadog
31-03-2018, 10:18 PM
He’s useless, head isn’t in it.

Close and reasonably entertaining game, Dockers up 50-43 just before half time.

Go Dockers - hate Essendon with a passion

Happy Days
31-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Geez Luke Hodge is finished. He looks like Matty Boyd did last year, only fatter.

mjp
31-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Geez Luke Hodge is finished. He looks like Matty Boyd did last year, only fatter.

Still saying the early season concussion really hurt Boyd last year. He was AA in ‘16 and playing well at the end of the year. I don’t think he should have (been) retired.

Happy Days
31-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Still saying the early season concussion really hurt Boyd last year. He was AA in ‘16 and playing well at the end of the year. I don’t think he should have (been) retired.

Interesting perspective - I thought he was done, and played some straight up sad footy at times (the Sydney game really sticks out), but his last game definitely posed a few questions. We sure could use 2016 Matt Boyd right about now.

Remi Moses
31-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Collingwood defended them better , and more pressure . GWS got a bit Hollywood ( as they do) shots from the boundary and not doing the team thing . Collingwood’s lack of polish killed them

bornadog
31-03-2018, 11:32 PM
I miss Hamling

westdog54
31-03-2018, 11:34 PM
Interesting perspective - I thought he was done, and played some straight up sad footy at times (the Sydney game really sticks out), but his last game definitely posed a few questions. We sure could use 2016 Matt Boyd right about now.

I get where you're coming from. I'm content we got to see Boyd go it with a bang rather than go too long.

Stringer looks slow, weak and disinterested. And you know what? I'm taking no joy from it whatsoever. It's really sad to watch.

bornadog
31-03-2018, 11:35 PM
Stringer looks slow, weak and disinterested. And you know what? I'm taking no joy from it whatsoever. It's really sad to watch.

Doesn't play for us and I am elated.

The Adelaide Connection
31-03-2018, 11:48 PM
I get where you're coming from. I'm content we got to see Boyd go it with a bang rather than go too long.

He was dead set horrible. The only thing worse was how the end of game light show looked on the broadcast. So bad.

Remi Moses
31-03-2018, 11:49 PM
I’m stoked . Because make no mistake we’d be reminded that we let him leave if he fired up.
Didn’t see the game , but I’m happy he is playing rubbish , it’s been that way for a while now

bornadog
31-03-2018, 11:58 PM
Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon all beaten this round.

hujsh
01-04-2018, 12:10 AM
Kind of glad it's not our problem. We got enough of them.

And agree with Remi, the beating will be unbearable if he has a purple patch

AndrewP6
01-04-2018, 12:19 AM
I hope Stringer maintains his current form until at least next week.

We were told he’s dropped weight over summer. I don’t know where from, he looks heavier than ever to me.

Dry Rot
01-04-2018, 12:23 AM
What is Saad's leg injury?

Twodogs
01-04-2018, 12:27 AM
He ran through centre half forward and all the way into the centre square chasing and harassed the ball carrier three times halfway through the first quarter. Didn't see him again until the second quarter.

azabob
01-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Just like watching us. Slow, weak, disinterested.

hujsh
01-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Just like watching us. Slow, weak, disinterested.

https://youtu.be/i8IyCE4ADWY

Remi Moses
01-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Can’t believe there is an actual home and away shop :eek:

Twodogs
01-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Can’t believe there is an actual home and away shop :eek:

I can't believe you watched the video.:)

Better than the footy I guess.

hujsh
01-04-2018, 09:56 PM

Stringer's heart is obviously still with us and watching the video is a great way to remember the pain of these first two rounds if you start to forget it

Remi Moses
01-04-2018, 11:35 PM

I saw some ad for it the other night watching the crows and Richmond . Didn’t watch the video .

Remi Moses
01-04-2018, 11:38 PM
Port very impressive in beating Sydney . Only saw the second half , but with their new recruits added with some players stepping up they look impressive. Loved their attack on the player and ball . Sydney got out sydneyied.
It’s all about buddy for Sydney

Hotdog60
01-04-2018, 11:42 PM
Isn't the Suns Tom Lynch out of contract at the end of the year?
Our ruck stocks aren't doing very well we should see if we can lure him to the Dogs.

Twodogs
02-04-2018, 12:14 AM
Our ruck stocks are doing very well we should see if we can lure him to the Dogs.

Yep we need a six and a half foot half back flanker!

Twodogs
02-04-2018, 12:17 AM
I saw some ad for it the other night watching the crows and Richmond . Didn’t watch the video .

Of course you didn't. You just absorbed it by osmosis while watching the footy.

Ozza
02-04-2018, 01:15 AM
Our ruck stocks are doing very well we should see if we can lure him to the Dogs.

I know he can kick big bags of goals and dominate up forward....But can Tom Lynch play in all three areas of the ground?
:rolleyes:

Hotdog60
02-04-2018, 09:05 AM
I know he can kick big bags of goals and dominate up forward....But can Tom Lynch play in all three areas of the ground?
:rolleyes:

Your right, too one dimensional.
I'd rather have someone who's shite in all three areas of the ground than elite up forward. We all know kicking goals is over rated in this game.:D

Twodogs
02-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Could you imagine it? Tom Lynch start his lead from the goal square but the ball carrier is looking in the other direction so he goes back and tries a different leading pattern so the player with the ball actually sees him, then when he gets the pass kicked to him it goes over his head and out of bounds on the full.

Tom Lynch would be good but we need players who can kick the ball to him or recruiting him will all be a waste of time,

We just can't afford to recruit anymore players who can't kick, in fact to make up for the shit kicks we already have we can't go below players with elite kicking skills. If we have to trade out current players to get those players or the picks to select them with then that's what we have to do.

bornadog
02-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Has anyone noticed the first two rounds seem to be shootouts and not much defending?

azabob
02-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Has anyone noticed the first two rounds seem to be shootouts and not much defending?

No different to other seasons. Come round 6 defence will be key again and calls for rule changes and the like to increase scoring.

bornadog
02-04-2018, 05:22 PM
No different to other seasons. Come round 6 defence will be key again and calls for rule changes and the like to increase scoring.

yeah true.

azabob
02-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Gee Hawthorn’s list management makes me depressed.

bornadog
02-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Gee Hawthorn’s list management makes me depressed.

Jarman Impey would have been handy, but chose Hawks due to indigenous programme.

jeemak
02-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Jarman Impey would have been handy, but chose Hawks due to indigenous programme.

Was thinking the exact same thing BAD.

Happy Days
02-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Serious question over Geelong's selflessness in the middle. Selwood just refused to pay any attention to Tom Mitchell at that last stoppage leading to an easy goal, pretty symptomatic of their day on the inside.

Rocket Science
02-04-2018, 07:08 PM
As dire as things are for us there's always joy in Geelong getting done.

bornadog
02-04-2018, 07:10 PM
As dire as things are for us there's always joy in Geelong getting done.

Umpires gave them about 5 frees in a row and I swear none of them were there

azabob
02-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Umpires gave them about 5 frees in a row and I swear none of them were there

Or didn’t pay holding the ball against Dangerfield etc.

Remi Moses
02-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Wow ! Hawthorn’s fall lasted 11 weeks :rolleyes:

jeemak
02-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Wow ! Hawthorn’s fall lasted 11 weeks :rolleyes:

Yeah, but they had Smith, Rioli, Roughead, Gunston, Puopulo, McEvoy, Breust, Stratton, Schoenmakers, Mitchell and O'Meara running around for them.

Ozza
02-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Yeah, but they had Smith, Rioli, Roughead, Gunston, Puopulo, McEvoy, Breust, Stratton, Schoenmakers, Mitchell and O'Meara running around for them.

I go to the Easter Monday game every year. All of the above mentioned players looked terrible at this time last year - maybe the exception of Mitchell - but he was criticised for getting footy but having no impact.

Has turned around quickly.

jeemak
02-04-2018, 10:37 PM
I go to the Easter Monday game every year. All of the above mentioned players looked terrible at this time last year - maybe the exception of Mitchell - but he was criticised for getting footy but having no impact.

Has turned around quickly.

Well if it's any saving grace, our equivalent Jacko looked terrible in one contest and kicked three whilst laying tackles and racking up possies......silver linings I suppose.