PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 4, 2018 vs Sydney Swans

Eastdog
16-03-2018, 03:17 PM
If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 4, 2018 match against Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
08-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Bump

bornadog
08-04-2018, 07:14 PM
In Boyd
out Redpath

Dry Rot
08-04-2018, 07:18 PM
I thought Repath did OK today. Don't like seeing the Bont in the ruck though.

lemmon
08-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Out - Gowers
In - Boyd

Gowers did nothing wrong but I still think we played a tall short. English will need some help.

Dry Rot
08-04-2018, 09:23 PM
I went to the SCG last night. We need to figure out:

How to stop Buddy (obvious I know)

Need a good match up for Reid forward

Ditto for when Sinclair goes forward

Need to stop/neutralise Heeney

Re Heeney, the match up needs to be good in the air. Is Maclean the man?

Go_Dogs
08-04-2018, 09:38 PM
No change for me.

MrMahatma
08-04-2018, 09:47 PM
In: Boyd
Out: Red

I reckon Roughead will come in also. Not sure who for though.

GVGjr
08-04-2018, 09:48 PM
So players around the mark of earning a promotion would be the likes of Young, Lipinski (although he has a minor calf injury) Roughead, Biggs and Boyd.
Hard to make a solid argument for a change at the moment.

azabob
08-04-2018, 09:48 PM
I went to the SCG last night. We need to figure out:

How to stop Buddy (obvious I know)

Need a good match up for Reid forward

Ditto for when Sinclair goes forward

Need to stop/neutralise Heeney

Re Heeney, the match up needs to be good in the air. Is Maclean the man?

Does Reid ruck if Sinclair is forward?

Dry Rot
08-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Does Reid ruck if Sinclair is forward?

No, Towers does

josie
08-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Perhaps Boyd or Roughy for Jong. I think Tim needs help in Ruck. Jong was better however not sure who else to omit if we go with 2 ruck/forwards. And Honey to tag one of Swan’s good midfielders such as Heeney.

kruder
08-04-2018, 11:01 PM
In Boyd
out Redpath

Redpath out after first game back? A bit harsh indeed.

kruder
08-04-2018, 11:04 PM
Would love to see Boyd back along side Red and play second ruck but its hard to drop anyone after today. I wonder if a 6 day break draws out any sore boys?

bornadog
08-04-2018, 11:53 PM
Redpath out after first game back? A bit harsh indeed.

Did you think he played well?

Dry Rot
08-04-2018, 11:56 PM

I reckon he played his role well. Did some good work up he ground too.

Ozza
08-04-2018, 11:57 PM
I wouldn’t be dropping Red. Didn’t see a lot of footy - but first up off a long spell at the level, and structure was a lot better having a permanent tall leading forward.

kruder
09-04-2018, 12:12 AM

I think Red and Dicko's leading patterns and presence helped Gowers, Bont, Dale and Dunkley hit the scoreboard for sure. Agree it wasn't his best game but coming off the preseason he has had and the forward woes we have had it would be craziness to drop him after one week.

MrMahatma
09-04-2018, 12:17 AM
I think Red and Dicko's leading patterns and presence helped Gowers, Bont, Dale and Dunkley hit the scoreboard for sure. Agree it wasn't his best game but coming off the preseason he has had and the forward woes we have had it would be craziness to drop him after one week.

Did he have a great preseason?

My thoughts are that he was brought in for structure and because he is in the leadership team. But if Boyd has to earn a spot based on form then so should Red, right?

Boyd would've had to have had a howler to be in worse form that Red.

I'll footnote this to say I believe Redpath is a very limited footballer and has no real upside on what we've already seen. So in my opinion he's not the guy you "get games into" for his development. He's either performing or he isn't.

bornadog
09-04-2018, 12:23 AM

My thoughts are that he was brought in for structure and because he is in the leadership team. But if Boyd has to earn a spot based on form then so should Red, right?

I'll footnote this to say I believe Redpath is a very limited footballer and has no real upside on what we've already seen. So in my opinion he's not the guy you "get games into" for his development. He's either performing or he isn't.

Spot on.

Ozza
09-04-2018, 12:55 AM

Just on the comment that ‘Boyd would have to have a howler to be in worse form than Red’:
In reality, if Boyd had 10 possessions and 6 marks - we’d probably all say that he showed encouraging signs.

westbulldog
09-04-2018, 01:22 AM
In Young, if his form warrants it
Out Dickson

Easton Wood needs to lift perceptibly, and soon imo.

jeemak
09-04-2018, 03:24 AM
I'd be happy enough to leave the side as is, but if form warranted it from Toyd, I'd bring him in for Jong who apart from the odd solid mark wasn't quite up to it.

Sydney have a few too many good to reasonable talls not to put on in ourselves......on that note, is Roughead going to be up for next week?

Ghost Dog
09-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Considering our injury list, I think we are lucky to have Redpath. I bet one or two games this year he is going to kick a bag, simply because opposition coaches will not put their best defender on him. He's not a blue chip forward, but If he gets in a groove he can be hard to stop.

Mofra
09-04-2018, 12:21 PM

Bevo mentioned he thought Red was a positive in the post match interview IIRC.
Boyd seemed to spend half his time in the ruck according to VFL reports, no goals.

I mentioned I thought Red led too early a few times on the weekend and was too 'shallow' when leading a number of times but our forwardline looked dangerous when we had a Red/Bonti combo there.

Hard to find any changes to make on that effort. Lipinski with 4 goals might be in contention and Lewis Young was BOG but the only player we could realistically drop after that performance is Jong which means we'd need extra mid rotations to cover him.

bornadog
09-04-2018, 12:47 PM
In Young, if his form warrants it
Out Dickson

Easton Wood needs to lift perceptibly, and soon imo.

Woods value is his leadership in the backline, his spoiling and marking. Doesn't get a lot of possessions, abit like Morris, but it is the little things he does.

Bulldog Joe
09-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Not sure why anyone would be suggesting Redpath as an out.

Felt he really added something and created space for others. Forward line functioned really well except for the actually kicking at goal part.

Only possible change would be Roughead for Jong unless there is someone who doesn't come up.

SonofScray
09-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Haven't really seen anything from the Swans this year so my selections won't reflect any match ups etc so much as just reflect on form and fit.

I'm worried about the ruck, whilst English was impressive he'll surely fade after carrying the workload he did yesterday. One of Roughie or Boyd to come in. Part of me thinks that Boyd is the greater threat to the opposition but I just don't know where he is actually at. There were plenty of tired legs late, some one won't come up you'd think.

divvydan
09-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Cordy offered a week by MRP for striking Hooker yesterday. McKenna referred directly to tribunal for alleged bite on Dickson.

bornadog
09-04-2018, 05:17 PM
In Young

Out Cordy

Looks like Boyd is still not playing well enough to get promoted. Roughead a chance to come in.

SonofScray
09-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Cordy offered a week by MRP for striking Hooker yesterday. McKenna referred directly to tribunal for alleged bite on Dickson.

Geez! Don't recall Zaine punching anyone? Anyone got footage?

Insufficient Intent
09-04-2018, 05:32 PM
The AFL site shows footage of other incidents subject to MRP scrutiny, but not the Zaine incident, merely stating:

" Cordy was charged with striking Hooker in the first quarter of the Bulldogs' victory at Etihad Stadium on Sunday, with his action assessed as intentional low impact to the head."

Dry Rot
09-04-2018, 09:31 PM
Is Reid out again for the Swans?

SlimPickens
09-04-2018, 09:36 PM
In Boyd, Roberts

Out Cordy, Jong

Move Bont into the mids, Boyd Ruck/Fwd with Redpath permanent forward. More importantly Bont not near a ruck contest ever again!
Roberts as a direct swap for Cordy.

azabob
09-04-2018, 09:43 PM

You are the Sydney corospondent, shouldn’t you be telling us?

The Underdog
09-04-2018, 09:46 PM
I'd say
In: Roughead, Roberts
Out: Cordy, Jong
Jong a bit unlucky but think we'll bring Roughy back and need to replace Cordy. Roughy has the added bonus that he gives us a potential backline option if it all goes pear shaped. Roberts is a more mature body than Young.

Hotdog60
09-04-2018, 09:52 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-04-09/dog-banned-for-biffing-bomber

Video of Zaine love tap.

Rocco Jones
09-04-2018, 10:52 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-04-09/dog-banned-for-biffing-bomber

Video of Zaine love tap.

Yeah that’s a week.

Dry Rot
09-04-2018, 10:59 PM
You are the Sydney corospondent, shouldn’t you be telling us?

Yep, I live next door to John Longmire. I'll just go borrow a cup of sugar and ask him.

The Adelaide Connection
10-04-2018, 01:56 AM
Yep, I live next door to John Longmire. I'll just go borrow a cup of sugar and ask him.

How about some Uruguayan middle of the night drum banging tactics to impact his game day decision making?

Twodogs
10-04-2018, 04:35 AM
How about some Uruguayan middle of the night drum banging tactics to impact his game day decision making?

Along with worlds record attempt at continual primal screaming.

And one of those laughing therapy groups. That ought to do it.

azabob
10-04-2018, 07:16 AM

What did he say?

Twodogs
10-04-2018, 07:52 AM
What did he say?

DR couldn't hear a thing over the primal screaming and Uraguyan drum beating.

bornadog
10-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Sam Reid out long term with quad tendon damage - looking at 8 weeks

Dry Rot
10-04-2018, 11:37 AM
DR couldn't hear a thing over the primal screaming and Uraguyan drum beating.

I do that every night anyway.

Dry Rot
10-04-2018, 11:40 AM

Gee, that's a shame.

Swans will probably revert to their first 2 rounds tactics, Buddy mostly the only tall and focal point of the attack.

However, they may bring a dud ruck in or play Towers more in the ruck, and send Sinclair forward more. Roberts on Sinclair? Or if available, bring back Roughead and have him go with Sinclair everywhere he goes?

Dry Rot
10-04-2018, 11:42 AM
What are people's thoughts on Heeney?

He's tough in close, great in the air, pretty quick. Play McLean on him?

Need to cover Parker and Kennedy too.

bornadog
10-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Surely Roberts has to come in to play Buddy.

Sedat
10-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Tough one. Roberts will get killed on the lead and is probably not strong enough one-on-one either.

We'll need to get creative with how to handle Bud this week - maybe let a defensive mid like Honeychurch just sweat on him the whole time he is playing up the ground, and rely on team defence in D50. The key will be to stop the supply going in, so more of the midfield and F50 heat from Sunday will be essential.

Axe Man
10-04-2018, 12:12 PM

If Roberts comes in I hope he doesn't spend much time on Buddy, he's far too slow and immobile.

How about Hamling? At Freo? Adams then? Injured you say? Well Morris or Cordy should be able to do the job. Injured and suspended? Well I give up.

Seriously though Wood is probably the best available match-up we have. Buddy's overhead marking isn't his greatest strength so someone with pace and agility is required. In reality it will have to be a team defence to keep Buddy's influence to a minimum.

anfo27
10-04-2018, 12:18 PM
What about Jong on Buddy? He has the size & mobility to go with him. Its not something he has done before but i can't see who will go to him.

Dry Rot
10-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Double team Wood and Naughton on Buddy?

bornadog
10-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Tough one. Roberts will get killed on the lead and is probably not strong enough one-on-one either.

We'll need to get creative with how to handle Bud this week - maybe let a defensive mid like Honeychurch just sweat on him the whole time he is playing up the ground, and rely on team defence in D50. The key will be to stop the supply going in, so more of the midfield and F50 heat from Sunday will be essential.

I am not keen on Roberts either, but do you go with 18 year old Naughty, or 19 year old Young?

1eyedog
10-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Not a bad result at all he loves playing us.

Greystache
10-04-2018, 12:56 PM
If Roberts comes in I hope he doesn't spend much time on Buddy, he's far too slow and immobile.

How about Hamling? At Freo? Adams then? Injured you say? Well Morris or Cordy should be able to do the job. Injured and suspended? Well I give up.

Seriously though Wood is probably the best available match-up we have. Buddy's overhead marking isn't his greatest strength so someone with pace and agility is required. In reality it will have to be a team defence to keep Buddy's influence to a minimum.

Yeah I think Wood is probably the best match up. Franklin is more a midsized forward in playing style. When he marks it's mostly on the lead, and he kicks a big % of his goals on the run. Adams is probably his best match up, Wood is maybe next.

Twodogs
10-04-2018, 02:15 PM

I wonder if Freo would give us back Hamling for the weekend?

What are people's thoughts on Heeney?

He's tough in close, great in the air, pretty quick. Play McLean on him?

Need to cover Parker and Kennedy too.

He's a jet.

I do that every night anyway.

But the laughing group would be different?

chef
10-04-2018, 02:32 PM
I'd bring Young in over Roberts.

Rocket Science
10-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Stop it you're giving me nightmares.

I fear the job's Naughton's by default, particularly if they continue to encourage Buddy to be active betwen wing and half-forward. Christ we're making the kid earn his keep early. Perhaps Wood to contest every aerial ball he can when Buddy goes deep.

Jong tasked with keeping a watchful eye over Kennedy perhaps? We won't stop him but can make life more difficult for him with the added bonus of luring Jong to the ball. I'm still deciding whether that's a good thing or not.

On top of Reid the Swans have lost key defender Melican. If we recall Lewy Young as a swingman he could take spells between tall forward and intercept-marking backman.

Like the idea of McLean on Heeney, McLean won't flinch and will keep Heeney honest, with Wally to give the odd chop out.

All this assumes we retain the same appetite for the contest we had last week or we're buggered.

Twodogs
10-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Stop it you're giving me nightmares.

I fear the job's Naughton's by default, particularly if they continue to encourage Buddy to be active betwen wing and half-forward. Christ we're making the kid earn his keep early. Perhaps Wood to contest every aerial ball he can when Buddy goes deep.

Jong tasked with keeping a watchful eye over Kennedy perhaps? We won't stop him but can make life more difficult for him with the added bonus of luring Jong to the ball. I'm still deciding whether that's a good thing or not.

On top of Reid the Swans have lost key defender Melican. If we recall Lewy Young as a swingman he could take spells between tall forward and intercept-marking backman.

Like the idea of McLean on Heeney, McLean won't flinch and will keep Heeney honest, with Wally to give the odd chop out.

All this assumes we retain the same appetite for the contest we had last week or we're buggered.

Yeah I think the solution with Buddy revolves around something like you've mentioned. A team approach. I think Naughton can take Buddy outside the 50 and Wood takes him when Buddy is closer to goal. Jong on kennedy could work. if Jongy can keep up and compete with Kennedy it'd be great.

jeemak
10-04-2018, 04:14 PM
I'd be inclined to run Wally with Kennedy, and HC and McLean with Heeney.

Wood would be my preference for Buddy.

Dry Rot
10-04-2018, 04:28 PM
On top of Reid the Swans have lost key defender Melican.

Good news. Seen a bit of Melican, he can be very handy.

I wonder who Grundy and Rampe will take?

Axe Man
10-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Good news. Seen a bit of Melican, he can be very handy.

I wonder who Grundy and Rampe will take?

Grundy to Redpath you would imagine. Unfortunately Rampe is a good matchup (from the Swans POV) for any of our medium forwards: Bont, Gowers, Dunkley.

Mofra
10-04-2018, 04:46 PM
Wood is 185cm and can jump... if given a run-up.
Buddy is 197cm and has a solid 10+kgs on Wood. I'm very, very unconvinced by this match up. Wood plays better when he gets a chance to peel off and help his teammates, not be the lockdown defender himself.

Fact is we have no match up for Buddy who is able to play. Morris, Adams, and Cordy would have been the first three with perhaps Trengove considered although his pace would be a concern.

I doubt we can throw Young onto him on the basis he has a couple of extra games of experience over Naughton as he hasn't played senior football this year. Sadly Naughton it is with help from the rest of the defensive group.

If there was ever a game to play short and try and kill the team on the rebound this week might be it - I don't see how we defend the Swans one on one and our midfield really needs to pressure the Swans ball carriers if we are to have a chance.

Mofra
10-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Grundy to Redpath you would imagine. Unfortunately Rampe is a good matchup (from the Swans POV) for any of our medium forwards: Bont, Gowers, Dunkley.
In the air for sure - as good as Rampe is at ground level the Bont is elite in congestion. This is one match up I think could help us, giving Gowers and Dunkley (both capable overhead) the chance to be marking targets.

bornadog
10-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Trengove is a chance to play - does he come in for Cordy and take Buddy?

Happy Days
10-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Trengove is a chance to play - does he come in for Cordy and take Buddy?

YUCK no.

Although I do love seeing Buddy at full flight on inept opponents; that game against Jones last year was so awesome. So maybe?

Rocco Jones
10-04-2018, 07:48 PM
YUCK no.

Although I do love seeing Buddy at full flight on inept opponents; that game against Jones last year was so awesome. So maybe?

Inept is rough on Trengove. He is serviceable. Roberts is inept.

Happy Days
10-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Inept is rough on Trengove. He is serviceable. Roberts is inept.

Maybe, but Buddy would still embarrass him; Roberts and Trengove are about the same to me.

I'd play Young ahead of both of them anyway, and have Wood on his bike the whole game.

Rocco Jones
10-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Maybe, but Buddy would still embarrass him; Roberts and Trengove are about the same to me.

I'd play Young ahead of both of them anyway, and have Wood on his bike the whole game.

I love Young but at the moment, he needs physical protection and is more a 3rd talk type. Also, he turns it over way too much.

Dry Rot
10-04-2018, 08:07 PM
In the air for sure - as good as Rampe is at ground level the Bont is elite in congestion. This is one match up I think could help us, giving Gowers and Dunkley (both capable overhead) the chance to be marking targets.

The Bont could also, for short periods, act as a decoy and drag Rampe away from the action.

Dry Rot
10-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Grundy to Redpath you would imagine.

Likewise, Redpath can drag Grundy up the ground and away from intercepting our F50 entries.

SlimPickens
10-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Likewise, Redpath can drag Grundy up the ground and away from intercepting our F50 entries.

Need to get Rampe on Gowers. Reckon he’ll be worrying a few teams with his marking ability young Billy boy.

SlimPickens
10-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Watching the replay tonight. Naughton grabs his hamstring at least 3-4 times in the second half. Wouldn’t be surprised if there is something in that.

boydogs
10-04-2018, 11:52 PM
Wood on Buddy, playing 5 metres off him to corral and get a running jump at any aerial contests

MrMahatma
11-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Wood on Buddy, playing 5 metres off him to corral and get a running jump at any aerial contests

I think Naughton 1:1 with Wood peeling off for support.

Wouldn't be hugely against playing 7 defenders most of the match. Given how their fwd line works, stopping buddy and interceptions from passes to him will go a long way to winning it for us.

azabob
11-04-2018, 08:00 AM
Roughead either comes in for English or comes back through the VFL.

Roberts in for Cordy.

kruder
11-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Roughead either comes in for English or comes back through the VFL.

Roberts in for Cordy.

I agree with you. I liked our side without both Trengove and Roughead and until English slows down I'd prefer them at VFL level and hopefully we can find a spot for Boyd to play Forward Ruck along side English when he finds form.

I saw English today in the city, stands out like a beacon! I like his size, his slim but not too slim its more about building strength with the weight he has rather than putting on too much more size.

dog town
12-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I would be staggered if JJ isn't tagged this week. I expect him to play multiple roles to try and break free. Couldn't get more contrasting styles than Sydney and Essendon so it's a huge week for our coaches.

Cyberdoggie
12-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I would be staggered if JJ isn't tagged this week. I expect him to play multiple roles to try and break free. Couldn't get more contrasting styles than Sydney and Essendon so it's a huge week for our coaches.

Well they started all that controversy last year when they tagged him out, then everyone else did and people got inside his head.

I think what we are trying to do and saw a glimpse of was to have other dangerous options. Ed Richards is going to be a gun and he will break lines like JJ. Are teams going to tag both of these guys?

I thought Cordy was excellent in his defensive work last week, and we will miss him badly. If we are going to win this game we will need to take our chances and actually kick more goals than points. The swans won't let us off like Essendon did.

mjp
12-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Swans tagged Whitfield last week and took him out...JJ will be getting some company from Hewitt.

dog town
12-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Well they started all that controversy last year when they tagged him out, then everyone else did and people got inside his head.

I think what we are trying to do and saw a glimpse of was to have other dangerous options. Ed Richards is going to be a gun and he will break lines like JJ. Are teams going to tag both of these guys?

I thought Cordy was excellent in his defensive work last week, and we will miss him badly. If we are going to win this game we will need to take our chances and actually kick more goals than points. The swans won't let us off like Essendon did. I see what you are saying but Richards is a way off that.

Sydney will want us kicking down the line with no flow. They will try to keep JJ and Hunter out of the game. There won't be many easy 45 kicks or lateral changes of direction this week. It's vital we keep these guys involved as they can break things open for us.

Mofra
12-04-2018, 04:56 PM
I see what you are saying but Richards is a way off that.

Sydney will want us kicking down the line with no flow. They will try to keep JJ and Hunter out of the game. There won't be many easy 45 kicks or lateral changes of direction this week. It's vital we keep these guys involved as they can break things open for us.
Interesting you mention that because it was out switching and "kicking off the line" that helped against the Bombers - mentioned during interviews with players.

dog town
12-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Interesting you mention that because it was out switching and "kicking off the line" that helped against the Bombers - mentioned during interviews with players. We can do it again but will need to play well and be brave. They will more than likely tag JJ because he can open up those angles for us.

Happy Days
12-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Interesting you mention that because it was out switching and "kicking off the line" that helped against the Bombers - mentioned during interviews with players.

Right from the start of the game you could tell this had been a clear focus of the group during the week prior. They were looking to maintain possession of the ball above territory at all times, even to the point of challenging the man on the mark rather than going long down the line.

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 05:10 PM
What is kicking off the line?

jeemak
12-04-2018, 05:16 PM
What is kicking off the line?

In this instance not kicking along the boundary line. If caught on the boundary line, kicking anywhere but along the boundary line.

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 05:39 PM
In this instance not kicking along the boundary line. If caught on the boundary line, kicking anywhere but along the boundary line.

Thanks Jee. So unlike the typical Malthouse style of going via he cape and then centre the ball to the hot spots in the forward 50 it's a little more unpredictable?

ratsmac
12-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Minimal changes this week for me

Out : Cordy
In : Trengove if fit, otherwise Roughead if fit, otherwise Roberts.

EDIT : Actually also Biggs in and Jong out

Ozza
12-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Only change is;

In; Biggs
Out: Cordy

Remi Moses
12-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Ed Norton gets Buddy ! Wow ! Big big task for the kid

Go_Dogs
12-04-2018, 07:37 PM
Only change is;

In; Biggs
Out: Cordy

So another runner to safeguard for some tags.

What is plan B for Buddy v Naughton though?

Rocket Science
12-04-2018, 07:44 PM
We can always ask English to drop back into the hole to help.

It's be just like Scotty Wynd versus Plugger *winces in anticipation*

ratsmac
12-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Ok then, the plan is keepings off! If we have it Buddy can't kick goals.

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 08:18 PM
We can always ask English to drop back into the hole to help.

It's be just like Scotty Wynd versus Plugger *winces in anticipation*

Remember how Scott Wynd kept getting injured? I'm sure that might have had something to do with it.

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 08:21 PM

I can't see where that will go wrong.

We could form a sort of phalanx around the ball carrier and refuse to let him be tackled. That'd be easier than depending on some of our blokes to hit a target.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Congratulations on the use of the phalanx as a strategy

Eastdog
12-04-2018, 09:34 PM

Yep that would be the best thing :)

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 10:02 PM
Congratulations on the use of the phalanx as a strategy

It always worked for the Romans. Look at how long their empire went.

1eyedog
13-04-2018, 12:15 AM
It always worked for the Romans. Look at how long their empire went.

Greeks

jeemak
13-04-2018, 02:30 AM
Thanks Jee. So unlike the typical Malthouse style of going via he cape and then centre the ball to the hot spots in the forward 50 it's a little more unpredictable?

Interesting point about Malthouse in his years leading up to the 2010 flag was his attacking via the wide parts of the MCG in the 2008/2009 seasons prior, for which he was the subject of much derision.

It was all part of a plan to implement a full ground press and to be able to score from it. Learn to score from the wide part of the ground, implement a full ground press to ensure the centre was covered and the opposition had to go wide.

For all of the BS that is talked about him, that was his most defining coaching effort for mine.

Mofra
13-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Remember how Scott Wynd kept getting injured? I'm sure that might have had something to do with it.
Someone can correct my memory, but Wynd was too brave for his own good IIRC. It was like he enjoyed contact too much, loved using his frame.

Mofra
13-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Interesting point about Malthouse in his years leading up to the 2010 flag was his attacking via the wide parts of the MCG in the 2008/2009 seasons prior, for which he was the subject of much derision.

It was all part of a plan to implement a full ground press and to be able to score from it. Learn to score from the wide part of the ground, implement a full ground press to ensure the centre was covered and the opposition had to go wide.

For all of the BS that is talked about him, that was his most defining coaching effort for mine.
He had Cloke who was an aerobic beast for his size so that helped Cloke by making sure he always had space to run into.

You don't win flags by following conventional wisdom. We had handball club in an era where other coaches thought you had to kick your way over a press rather than use handball to have smaller players run through it. We cleared congestion by utilizing a third man up to clear the congested space near a stoppage so could employ more runners on the ground.

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 10:34 AM

I can remeber my dad saying, even when Malthouse was coaching us, "FFS we have the best full forward in the league but we crab walk the ball into the forward line and from way out wide so by the time it gets to him he's covered by 5 opposition players! Why do we do this everytime!!!?!!"