PDA

View Full Version : Club Songs - AFL changing

bornadog
16-03-2018, 03:31 PM
The morons at AFL have decided in their wisdom to re-record the club songs.

Haven't heard the Bulldogs one, but the Collingwood and Essendon ones sound similar.

hujsh
16-03-2018, 03:42 PM
That's what'll bring in the kids

bornadog
16-03-2018, 03:49 PM
The new version of our song:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/fanzone/clubsong

G-Mo77
16-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Doesn't sound much different.

I'm maybe a bit americanised but I prefer intro music than the club songs. I remember seeing an awesome intro from Melbourne a couple of years back, "Hells Bells' started as they came on the ground and they quickly cut it off and played their 150 year old club song. I think Richmond do something similar with "Welcome to the jungle"

If the home team wins the song gets played, if they lose it's silence and just have the local MC over the speaker telling the people there the results and such. Like banners, I think it's an old tradition that can be scraped.

Eastdog
16-03-2018, 08:43 PM
The morons at AFL have decided in their wisdom to re-record the club songs.

Haven't heard the Bulldogs one, but the Collingwood and Essendon ones sound similar.

Typical AFL

Sedat
16-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Gilligan all over the big issues as per usual.

I can only assume they don't want to pay performance royalties to the Fable Singers, otherwise why the hell would they bother?

westdog54
16-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Gilligan all over the big issues as per usual.

I can only assume they don't want to pay performance royalties to the Fable Singers, otherwise why the hell would they bother?

There was some character in those old versions of the song.

The banjo riff in the middle of Sydney's song is one of my favourite parts of any club song.

Happy Days
16-03-2018, 09:48 PM
So how's that transgender policy coming along

bornadog
16-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-16/afl-clarifies-decision-to-rerecord-club-songs)

AFL clarifies decision to re-record club songs

THE AFL has clarified the decision to re-record the majority of club theme songs, with the League placing an emphasis on improving the sound quality of songs following an approach from clubs.

The new songs provide similar recordings to the existing versions, with slight changes to some lyrics and musical soundtracks.

AFL general manager of clubs Travis Auld said all clubs were offered the opportunity to alter their songs.

Fremantle, Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney's club songs were not re-recorded.

"The AFL was approached by a number of clubs to provide minor updates to their songs," Auld said in a statement to SEN.

"In doing so, we offered all the clubs the ability to have a new recording, to offer stronger digital sound quality. A number of the club songs are old recordings of diminishing quality. Minor lyric changes were only made following requests from respective football clubs."

As detailed by AFL.com.au in February, Richmond was among the clubs to provide an update to the lyrics of its song, after the club identified part of the song was incorrect and changed its "risking head and skin" line to "risking head and shin".

The new recordings will be played at AFL stadiums this season.

Twodogs
16-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Great idea. Improve the quality, destroy any soul or character the song may have possessed then play the song over a tinny PA system while the teams are running out and everybody is yelling at he top of their voices. Or play one version after the game. While everybody sings along. At the top of their voice.

Twodogs
16-03-2018, 10:52 PM
The new version of our song:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/fanzone/clubsong

Only the AFLW song loaded there's a space for the AFL but no video.

bornadog
17-03-2018, 12:02 AM
Only the AFLW song loaded there's a space for the AFL but no video.

Scroll down

bornadog
17-03-2018, 12:11 AM
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/listen-to-every-afl-clubs-new-theme-song-for-season-2018?station=melbourne

All the new club songs

bornadog
17-03-2018, 12:14 AM
This was the B side of the Club songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBowG2k5FCU

Doc26
17-03-2018, 12:16 AM
They all sound sterile, as if sung by an AFL endorsed Siri. The words are sung far too ‘proper’ or ‘prudish’ as if proper pronunciation was the order of the day. Like removing ‘We’ll’ with ‘We’ or ‘Snarlin’ replaced with ‘Snarling’.

Also in our grand song, the word ‘Sons’ sounds like it’s been sung with a strong lisp.

Gee this mob know how to remove any uniqueness and character from our game.

Murphy'sLore
17-03-2018, 03:36 PM
New version does sound colder somehow. Difference between digital and analogue maybe?

ledge
17-03-2018, 04:02 PM
I might be one of the rare ones but i was thinking guitar or something would have replaced the trumpets etc.
don't think they have updated it as such just maybe gone to digital.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-03-2018, 04:36 PM
I might be one of the rare ones but i was thinking guitar or something would have replaced the trumpets etc.
don't think they have updated it as such just maybe gone to digital.

I think the sound that really makes the classic Fable singers versions are the brass.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Geez G-mo, couldn't disagree more. I just love hearing all the original club songs rather than any pop/rock music at the footy.

And if they even consider scrapping the banners.........

boydogs
17-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Didn't mind this, much less of a car crash than the AFLW song

Twodogs
17-03-2018, 04:50 PM
Geez G-mo, couldn't disagree more. I just love hearing all the original club songs rather than any pop/rock music at the footy.

And if they even consider scrapping the banners.........

Back in the late 90s during the time we were playing our home games at Optus I was sitting with a mate waiting for the players to come out and the PA was playing doof-doof music! My mate leans over and says "I must have missed out on the free eccys they were handing out at the gate."

AndrewP6
17-03-2018, 05:15 PM
I don't get all the fuss and furore. Ours is only marginally different, and if we hear it lots it means we're winning. The clubs had the option of declining, most didn't.

bornadog
17-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Didn't mind this, much less of a car crash than the AFLW song

AFLW song is sung woefully

hujsh
17-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Yeah hard to tell if there's even a difference. Parts where I think it might be different could just be me looking for differences

Twodogs
17-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Yeah hard to tell if there's even a difference. Parts where I think it might be different could just be me looking for differences

Listening.

hujsh
18-03-2018, 12:07 AM
Listening.

The other definition: to examine (a matter) and consider what action to take. Inspect ect

bornadog
20-03-2018, 06:12 PM
The club has announced we will keep the original version

Twodogs
20-03-2018, 09:34 PM
The club has announced we will keep the original version

And burn every recording of the new version with petrol and fire?

bornadog
06-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Kane Cornes has ranked the AFL club songs.

Elite: Richmond, North Melbourne, GWS, Western Bulldogs.

Sub Elite: Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon.

Advanced: Brisbane, Hawthorn, Melbourne, West Coast.

Good: Sydney, St Kilda, Geelong.

Poor: Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Gold Coast.

Rotten: Fremantle.

Do you think he has got it right?

Twodogs
06-02-2020, 08:46 PM
Swans is elite I reckon-there is a line about "shake the thunder down from the sky" that I have always liked, and it has a banjo in the middle 8!

Has Kane ever actually heard the cow *!*!*!*!ers theme song?

Hearts to hearts and hands to hands,
Beneath the Blue and White we stand, we shout,
God bless our native land North Melbourne, North Melbourne.
Out we come, out we come,
Out we come to play,
We train so hard, we play the game,
We must win every day.
Lots of fun, heaps of fun, enjoy yourself today,
North Melbourne's boys are hard to beat,
When they come out to play.
So join in the chorus and sing it one and all,
Join in the chorus; North Melbourne's on the ball.
Good old North Melbourne, they're champions you'll agree,
North Melbourne is the team that plays to win for you and me!

westdog54
07-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Agree TD. Swap Sydney with North and it's a pretty solid list.

As much as most of us despise GWS, 'Big Big Sound is ridiculously catchy.

Axe Man
07-02-2020, 10:35 AM
I've never heard of our song being that highly rated before, it's generally rated towards the bottom of the traditional club songs (but far above the new rubbish). It's hard for us to judge as it's ingrained in us but trying to put all bias aside I would put it no higher than middle of the pack.

Also West Coast's song (like most of the new ones) is terrible, not sure why it isn't at the bottom with the others.

I don't mind North's either and agree Sydney's is decent.

jeemak
07-02-2020, 11:10 AM
I reckon North's team song is excellent. I'd have ours around the middle, and Carlton's elite.

Twodogs
07-02-2020, 01:27 PM
I reckon North's team song is excellent. I'd have ours around the middle, and Carlton's elite.

We Are The Navy Blues?

"we're the team that always lets you down.
We're the only team from dago town!"

To me it's a bit 'meh!" but given you never got to the "Nick Cave is a god" stage I can understand where you are coming from. :D

bornadog
07-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Also West Coast's song (like most of the new ones) is terrible, not sure why it isn't at the bottom with the others.

Well Birds of Tokyo have reworked it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioenqyOgbGo

Axe Man
07-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Well Birds of Paradise have reworked it

Pretty sure it's by some members from Birds of Tokyo. Birds of Paradise is something my Nan had in her garden.:D

bornadog
07-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Pretty sure it's by some members from Birds of Tokyo. Birds of Paradise is something my Nan had in her garden.:D

ha ha ha - don't know why I typed paradise. :D

In any case, it is a vast improvement on what they had

Hotdog60
07-02-2020, 05:45 PM
"Were the Eagles were flying high"

bornadog
08-02-2020, 12:08 AM
"Were the Eagles were flying high"

WA accent :D

mjp
08-02-2020, 01:56 AM
WA accent :D

As long a story they keep the “we’re the eagles, wc eagles” that will be a terrible song. We KNOW you are the eagles, that’s what it says on the scoreboard. They should change their song to “eagle rock” which is what they play after every home game and everyone would be happy.

The Dockers song is bad but the start of it with the Heave Ho bit is alright...why they didn’t stick with that kind of traditional refrain throughout is anyone’s guess as the rest of the song is rubbish. Port’s song is atrocious, Adelaide’s is worse.

Most of the traditional ones are ok. Ours can be a bit slow moving hence the players screaming ‘wooooo’ after each line which sounds either joyful or stupid depending on your thoughts on the win!

bornadog
08-02-2020, 12:44 PM
the players screaming ‘wooooo’ after each line

I have noticed that at other clubs as well.

Jeanette54
09-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Our song was never the same after the Hyde Street State School band stopped playing it at home games.

And then there was the traditional march around, with the donations tarp, at three quarter time.

We lived in simple times then, without the commercial imperative which drives the game these days.

AshMac
10-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Our song was never the same after the Hyde Street State School band stopped playing it at home games.

And then there was the traditional march around, with the donations tarp, at three quarter time.

We lived in simple times then, without the commercial imperative which drives the game these days.

The donations tarp! God I remember that. People launching 20c coins from 8 meters away at this tarp. The 3rd quarter starting w coins on the ground outside the boundary line.

ledge
10-02-2020, 10:59 AM
The donations tarp! God I remember that. People launching 20c coins from 8 meters away at this tarp. The 3rd quarter starting w coins on the ground outside the boundary line.

Most of the coins weren’t aimed at the tarp, anyone playing a trumpet etc was in danger of getting a coin down it.
Safest place was being the tarp holder .

bornadog
10-02-2020, 12:03 PM
Most of the coins weren’t aimed at the tarp, anyone playing a trumpet etc was in danger of getting a coin down it.

A few people use to get wacked on the back of their heads as well.

Twodogs
10-02-2020, 12:59 PM

I worked as a ground attendant on matchdays at Whitten oval and I can assure we watched the crowd like hawks for dickheads throwing coins and rocks and shit at the band. My kids went to Hyde street (as did my parents) so I had skin in the game.