PDA

View Full Version : Trade Claim A Lie :- Bevo

Scraggers
20-03-2018, 03:42 PM
LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-20/exclusive-dogs-trade-claim-a-lie-bevo)

A REPORT that Western Bulldogs premiership stars Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Liberatore and Clay Smith were put up for trade at the end of last year is "a lie", coach Luke Beveridge says.

Speculation was widespread at the end of the Dogs' underwhelming flag defence that the trio could have joined Jake Stringer in departing Whitten Oval after they failed to match their form of the previous year.

A disappointed Beveridge told AFL.com.au on Tuesday that Dahlhaus, Liberatore and Smith were definitely not put on the trade table.

Dahlhaus and Liberatore are both free agents at season's end, while Smith is on a one-year deal after three knee reconstructions in the past few years.

"Neither Luke, Libba or Clay were ever mentioned by our club in trade discussions, and I don't even think clubs asked (then list manager) Jason McCartney whether or not they were available," Beveridge said.

"(Clubs) may have (asked), but because they weren't going to be traded, Jason wouldn't have told him.

"(The story) is a total fabrication, something that has been made up, a lie, which is really concerning and disappointing.

"They are very much-loved players at our club and they weren't on the trade table."

Beveridge also denied the club was disappointed with Dahlhaus' training standards last season and said the club was keen to retain the 25-year-old.

"No, not at all, so it's another made up element of an article that's been published," Beveridge said.

"I'm sure clubs are attracted to Luke and his game is appealing, and it's something we've got to deal with and manage in our negations with his management in reaching an agreement on a new contract.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-03-2018, 03:46 PM
And the media wonder why we give them nothing.

Mofra
20-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Throw in Redpath and Biggs and you arguably have the five most popular blokes at the club.

Scraggers
20-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Throw in Redpath and Biggs and you arguably have the five most popular blokes at the club.

Agreed

Rocket Science
20-03-2018, 05:06 PM
This'll do wonders for the now open hostility between us and the bullshit merchants.

Stuff them of course, but one wonders if their answer to lack of access to Bevo is to try to bait him into commenting with dreck like this.

ledge
20-03-2018, 06:12 PM
Didn't the players and aflpa president (Dangerfield) just have a discussion about the media making fake news up and calling the press to pull their heads in a week ago?
Then they make up more stories again !
I feel for clubs and players when this rubbish is written and got away with, they answer to no one . Maybe clubs will be forced to ban certain reporters if fake news is put up.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-03-2018, 07:23 PM
The media has a role to keep the league honest and with integrity - like the Essendon saga (although I’m still not sure which side they were on). But likewise they also need to be held accountable. Media bans suck for fans but I wouldn’t blame clubs or players in this current environment. Be selective about it. This Tom Morris dude probably just got a permaban from bevo

1eyedog
20-03-2018, 07:42 PM
This'll do wonders for the now open hostility between us and the bullshit merchants.

Stuff them of course, but one wonders if their answer to lack of access to Bevo is to try to bait him into commenting with dreck like this.

I'm not fussed. Egg is on their face. All Bevo has to do is occasionally wipe the shit off his windscreen. Ultimately I'm more than comfortable to be hated by the media, and if they in due course smear our name because of a lack of access then we'll know who are with us and who are against us. Loving what Bevo is bringing, it's very un-Bulldogs like in terms of our history and I like it lots. It has a touch of arrogance and relevancy.

Twodogs
20-03-2018, 09:32 PM
The media has a role to keep the league honest and with integrity - like the Essendon saga (although I’m still not sure which side they were on). But likewise they also need to be held accountable. Media bans suck for fans but I wouldn’t blame clubs or players in this current environment. Be selective about it. This Tom Morris dude probably just got a permaban from bevo

What irritates me is it gets played on the radio and then Andy Marr purrs in with "oh I know Tom Morris and he wouldn't just make a story"

Well someone did. Either Bevo made up some crap about one of his own players or Tom Morris cherry picked some "facts" to construct a story he thought would get printed. Which scenario sounds more likely?

GVGjr
20-03-2018, 10:16 PM
I'm getting really pissed off with the media, from Sam Maclure's ever so gentle swipes at us for not embracing the media to Tim Watson constantly sniping us it's really enforcing to me that we should make an us vs them stance this year.

SonofScray
20-03-2018, 11:59 PM
I'm getting really pissed off with the media, from Sam Maclure's ever so gentle swipes at us for not embracing the media to Tim Watson constantly sniping us it's really enforcing to me that we should make an us vs them stance this year.

I hunk that is what is happening, though it is the media galvanising moreso than us. They want us to play the game and feed them info etc. We're not. So they are baiting us to get a reaction.As a group the footy media are disgruntled with us and are exercising their power with some contempt.

Rocket Science
21-03-2018, 12:14 AM

You forgot that slicked back turd Lyon 'coming in off the long run' on On The Couch last night re: the Gordon/Alberti teacup stoush.

Onya Gaddy, signature fearless stuff.

jeemak
21-03-2018, 12:42 AM
You forgot that slicked back turd Lyon 'coming in off the long run' on On The Couch last night re: the Gordon/Alberti teacup stoush.

Onya Gaddy, signature fearless stuff.

That was actually the most overrated player and coach double crown winner Paul Roos..............given he couldn't take a shot at his old club Melbourne, he had to have a swipe at us.

Probably best to move on.

dog town
21-03-2018, 05:43 AM
What irritates me is it gets played on the radio and then Andy Marr purrs in with "oh I know Tom Morris and he wouldn't just make a story"

Well someone did. Either Bevo made up some crap about one of his own players or Tom Morris cherry picked some "facts" to construct a story he thought would get printed. Which scenario sounds more likely? Caroline Wilson has come out and said almost exactly the same thing. It's like journalists refuse to acknowledge any faults in their industry.

Even the respected Chip Le Grand came out swinging after the AFLPA called on players to call out false reporting. Blamed players and clubs for a lack of content as if that excuses just making things up.

GVGjr
21-03-2018, 07:01 AM

Well someone did. Either Bevo made up some crap about one of his own players or Tom Morris cherry picked some "facts" to construct a story he thought would get printed. Which scenario sounds more likely?

Of course the easy answer to this is to go to the managers of each player and ask them if their players were shopped around.
Clubs will no doubt ask about certain players availability during trade discussions but for it to have any substance the player managers need to be involved. If that hasn't happened then it's at best speculation by the media and at worst it's just some manipulation of the facts for the journo's own agenda.

I think we have overstated the impact which has created it's own story but I think we need to start a media shit list and add the guys that are stirring things up. Tim Watson, Garry Lying, Sam Manure and Tom (not Dales bootlace) Morris are the inductees on my media shit list at the moment. More to come...

Twodogs
21-03-2018, 08:07 AM
Of course the easy answer to this is to go to the managers of each player and ask them if their players were shopped around.
Clubs will no doubt ask about certain players availability during trade discussions but for it to have any substance the player managers need to be involved. If that hasn't happened then it's at best speculation by the media and at worst it's just some manipulation of the facts for the journo's own agenda.

I think we have overstated the impact which has created it's own story but I think we need to start a media shit list and add the guys that are stirring things up. Tim Watson, Garry Lying, Sam Manure and Tom (not Dales bootlace) Morris are the inductees on my media shit list at the moment. More to come...

Ans Caro has added herself this morning. Virtually calls our coach out as a liar (either Morris or Bevo are telling porkies-in fact, let's get to the bottom of it. Bevo and Morris on 360 tonight drilled by a serving police officer or hooked up to a a lie detector)and we can get to the bottom of it once and for all.

Then every journo that has doubted us goes on their hands and knees in Footscray mall and grovels an apology, Tom Morris gets chained to the back of a ute and gets dragged around the car park of Whitten oval, Katie Brennan plays in the AFLW grand final and Bob Murphy gets his own premiership Medallian. Then honour will be done.

Asking the managers isn't a bad idea. By the time a manager gets involved a trade has gone to a certain level past a "is Dalhaus on the table?" phone call. Although managers aren't always 100 % honest

Bulldog4life
21-03-2018, 10:04 AM
https://www.3aw.com.au/reporter-stands-by-story-that-left-luke-beveridge-fuming/

Reporter stands by story that left Luke Beveridge fuming

Sportsday newsbreaker Tom Morris says he “stands by” his report that left Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge fuming.

Beveridge said the report, which stated Luke Dahlhaus was “trade bait” over the summer, was “unethical and disappointing”.

But Morris wasn’t backing away on Sportsday.

“I was disappointed he said it was unethical and called me a liar but I stand by my story,” Morris said.

Caroline Wilson backed in the young newshound.

“To say you just made it up it is a ridiculous statement by Luke,” Wilson said.

“I know what he’s trying to do but it was an over the top defence, for mine.”

bornadog
21-03-2018, 10:58 AM
https://www.3aw.com.au/reporter-stands-by-story-that-left-luke-beveridge-fuming/

Reporter stands by story that left Luke Beveridge fuming

Sportsday newsbreaker Tom Morris says he “stands by” his report that left Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge fuming.

Beveridge said the report, which stated Luke Dahlhaus was “trade bait” over the summer, was “unethical and disappointing”.

But Morris wasn’t backing away on Sportsday.

“I was disappointed he said it was unethical and called me a liar but I stand by my story,” Morris said.

Caroline Wilson backed in the young newshound.

“To say you just made it up it is a ridiculous statement by Luke,” Wilson said.

“I know what he’s trying to do but it was an over the top defence, for mine.”

Morris was acting on rumours at the time and has been caught out and now won't back down.

Twodogs
21-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Morris was acting on rumours at the time and has been caught out and now won't back down.

Yep we all heard the rumours but none of us wrote them down and published them as fact.

Tom needs to back down or he will end up without a job.

G-Mo77
21-03-2018, 11:46 AM
To be fair to Morris all his peers do the same. Trawl forums, Facebook and Twitter and then make up a story without facts. Until these parasites are made accountable for their actions we'll continue to get manufactured news.

westbulldog
21-03-2018, 12:06 PM
I wonder if his claims are as accurate as his spelling in his twitter account, viz "Meanwhile, a footballer gets two weeks for tackling an opponent (who plays out the game) around the waste in a sport that allows tackling.

Bevo is an ethical bloke. Anything I read this season by Tom morris I will regard as crap.

Twodogs
21-03-2018, 12:15 PM
To be fair to Morris all his peers do the same. Trawl forums, Facebook and Twitter and then make up a story without facts. Until these parasites are made accountable for their actions we'll continue to get manufactured news.

That's fine but when you are called on it then you 'fess up. What you don't do is insist you are being 100% honest. It might be admitting to a breach of journalistic ethics (hang on a src hahahahahahaha, ethics, oh god! Sorry couldn't keep that down) but when the alternative is the other side is lying then you have an obligation to the truth.

Let's face it, this story is going to come out eventually and it will be proved Morris is full of shit. It would be better for Tom to 'fess up now. Bevo is not the type to let this lie (no pun intended)

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2018, 01:18 PM

I think it's going to be easier to make a list of people not on the shit list.

Cyberdoggie
21-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Yep we all heard the rumours but none of us wrote them down and published them as fact.

Tom needs to back down or he will end up without a job.

If he backs down and admits he failed/made a mistake. What career would he have left?
His reputation would be shot, and that would be the end of him. No club would go near him anymore.

If it was a lie, he has to go through with it because he has everything to lose.

This is kind of the problem we are seeing now, so many wanna be journo's coming into the picture trying to get the 'next story', when there isn't enough news for all of them.

jeemak
21-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Well, technically both Morris and Bev can be right.

Morris, like many journalists, can just believe that a source that provides information is a quality source. They go to print, and when called out they can claim they reported truthfully. Thereafter an ethical journalist wouldn't use that source again, or at the very least seriously question doing so.

I would suggest in all likelihood the sources would be recruiting personnel at opposition clubs, or a previously employed Bulldogs person with an axe to grind. A good journalist would question the motives.

bornadog
21-03-2018, 02:39 PM

Morris, like many journalists, can just believe that a source that provides information is a quality source. They go to print, and when called out they can claim they reported truthfully. Thereafter an ethical journalist wouldn't use that source again, or at the very least seriously question doing so.

I would suggest in all likelihood the sources would be recruiting personnel at opposition clubs, or a previously employed Bulldogs person with an axe to grind. A good journalist would question the motives.

or he checks the forums and believes what a poster says.

ledge
21-03-2018, 02:47 PM
Aren't journos supposed to bring news not make news ?
I find this a very interesting story in itself as if it happened,it was 6 months ago ,all those players are still with us so what actually is the story?
I'm backing all managers ring managers and ask who's available, I think the fact they are all still at the dogs makes the story a non story.
Talk about muck raking that story is the perfect example.

bornadog
21-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Aren't journos supposed to bring news not make news ?
I find this a very interesting story in itself as if it happened,it was 6 months ago ,all those players are still with us so what actually is the story?
I'm backing all managers ring managers and ask who's available, I think the fact they are all still at the dogs makes the story a non story.
Talk about muck raking that story is the perfect example.

His story is both Dahl and Libba are up for a contract renewal at the end of the year, and because we shopped them around last year, then his conclusion is we will get rid of them at the end of contract period.

Happy Days
21-03-2018, 03:54 PM

Very logical and kind of annoyed I (or Bevo or Morris for that matter) didn't think of it.

Twodogs
21-03-2018, 03:55 PM
If he backs down and admits he failed/made a mistake. What career would he have left?
His reputation would be shot, and that would be the end of him. No club would go near him anymore.

If it was a lie, he has to go through with it because he has everything to lose.

This is kind of the problem we are seeing now, so many wanna be journo's coming into the picture trying to get the 'next story', when there isn't enough news for all of them.

I see what you mean and that will probably be Tom's initial stratergy (he doesn't appear to be very bright and it's only the truly stupid who think they can lie effectively) as tge old saying goes "Truth will out."

Bevo doesn't seem to me the type to let this go. He's the last person I'd make a bullshit lie up about then fiercely stick to it when called.

hujsh
21-03-2018, 04:18 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking along those lines. There's a real strong hatred/distrust of the media here that I think gets in the way of conclusions like this

Bulldog4life
21-03-2018, 04:40 PM

If Morris really did have a source I wonder if it is a person who has recently left our club, such as JMac as an example.

ledge
21-03-2018, 04:58 PM
If Morris really did have a source I wonder if it is a person who has recently left our club, such as JMac as an example.

I doubt it . You don't burn your old club as your new employer will second guess employing you .
It's a professional league and I think people move on quick without a hatred to improve themselves.
I don't see any who recently left , left under unfriendly terms.
Seems the media loves making us the fans think things that are outrageous.
If you watch that terrible show MAFS it's the perfect example of twisting things to make people watch and read their shows and they are all basically just nonsense drama.

jeemak
21-03-2018, 05:28 PM

I doubt it . You don't burn your old club as your new employer will second guess employing you .
It's a professional league and I think people move on quick without a hatred to improve themselves.
If you watch that terrible show MAFS it's the perfect example of twisting things to make people watch and read their shows and they are all basically just nonsense drama.

It might depend on the circumstances under which the employee left. A flippant comment here or there can also be easily construed multiple ways.

The other scenario I mentioned might play out like Dodo or another recruiter telling the journo we were shopping around players due to become free agents, starting the uncertainty and speculation early in the piece to unsettle the player and the club. If this occurred, how would the journo verify whether it was true? Do we really think our club would admit to that?

GVGjr
21-03-2018, 07:57 PM
I think it's going to be easier to make a list of people not on the shit list.

No...the fun is adding these pricks one by one. :)
Anyone who has watched a bit of Seinfeld will remember when Elaine Benes boyfriend was banned by Hop Sing's Chinese Food delivery service because she "named names". This is what we need to do with these clowns in the media that are trying to instigate trouble for us just because Bevo is calling them out. I'm not buying this confidentiality crap the journo's use as part of 'their code'. It's time for them to put up or shut up.

GVGjr
21-03-2018, 08:00 PM

This is what they are wanting people to do and that is to turn our own and start doubting the club. We can't fall for that

If the player managers don't challenge Bevo's version of events then the media can get stuffed.

Twodogs
21-03-2018, 08:53 PM
No...the fun is adding these pricks one by one. :)
Anyone who has watched a bit of Seinfeld will remember when Elaine Benes boyfriend was banned by Hop Sing's Chinese Food delivery service because she "named names". This is what we need to do with these clowns in the media that are trying to instigate trouble for us just because Bevo is calling them out. I'm not buying this confidentiality crap the journo's use as part of 'their code'. It's time for them to put up or shut up.

As opposed to "make (something) up and shout (it) out."

Turds.

Eastdog
21-03-2018, 09:15 PM
The media hounds at it again.

Why am I not surprised.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2018, 02:18 AM
Well, I believe Luke has been empowered by the AFL's call to cite fake news. This is the era of trump, and alternative facts. If we sued would we have a chance of winning?

The Adelaide Connection
31-03-2018, 09:09 AM

What about our old mate Stringer? It’s not hard to imagine a scenario that when probed about his behaviour and exit he says: “It wasn’t just me, they were trying to get rid of x, y, and z too” and someone taking that as gospel.

Twodogs
31-03-2018, 10:53 AM
What about our old mate Stringer? It’s not hard to imagine a scenario that when probed about his behaviour and exit he says: “It wasn’t just me, they were trying to get rid of x, y, and z too” and someone taking that as gospel.

He might say that but it's exactly that sort of deflection and inability to accept responsibility for his actions that is the reason he is no longer at the Bulldogs. And if he doesn't wake up to himself he will be playing country football for tips before his contract is up at Essendon.