PDA

View Full Version : Jack Macrae

craigsahibee
22-03-2018, 12:02 PM
It's 4 days from Round 1 and Jack Macrae's 100th game and I have not seen or heard of anything celebrating this all week, other than Bob's article on the club website.

It's Jack's career in a nutshell. He just goes about his job every week, unnoticed but hardly unappreciated by the Bulldog faithful. His last 40 games have been consistently good (some great) and his ability to work his team mates into the game is magical.

Congratulations Jack. Looking forward to many more games for the 'Dogs.

SlimPickens
22-03-2018, 12:08 PM
One of my favourite players, was best on in the granny and has continued to improve. Congrats on 100 games Jacko.

hujsh
22-03-2018, 12:11 PM
It's 4 days from Round 1 and Jack Macrae's 100th game and I have not seen or heard of anything celebrating this all week, other than Bob's article on the club website.

It's Jack's career in a nutshell. He just goes about his job every week, unnoticed but hardly unappreciated by the Bulldog faithful. His last 40 games have been consistently good (some great) and his ability to work his team mates into the game is magical.

I don't know about unappreciated. On WOOF we were expecting he'd win or come second to Bont in the B&F and were shocked JJ was ahead of him.

Twodogs
22-03-2018, 12:18 PM
The kid is a machine. You don't hear a lot from him, you don't read a lot about him, but he looks, sounds, acts and plays like a footballer. He was sensational in the Grand Final and that's the stage the real champs shine on when they get the chance.

Jack Macrae is a footballer's footballer.

Eastdog
22-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Great player Jack Macrae. I'm expecting another strong season from him. Was excellent last year.

Congratulations on 100 games Jack.

Mofra
22-03-2018, 01:12 PM
33 touches in the GF
Youngest player in history to get 40 touches in a game (43 + 2 goals as a 19 year old)
Gets no accolades.

Excellent, excellent player. Plus he kicked the sealer against GWS in the prelim :cool:

bornadog
22-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Most underrated in the AFL when discussing mids. As Bob says in his article, gets smashed time and time again, and just gets up and keeps going.

Remi Moses
22-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Tremendously underrated, and a key member of our team .
Well done on 100 games

jeemak
22-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Love Jacko. I remember a game at the G against Melbourne in 2016, where a couple of friends of friends scoffed at me when I called him out as being tough as nails.

His ability to hold onto the football until the last minute and take the hit is great for our other midfielders. He would be the complete player if he learned to hit the scoreboard.

Torpedo
22-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Can tell he is not under appreciated by the opposition though, by the amount of work they put into him - on and off the ball. Love this young man. Just needs to kick goals more often, though the important one he kicked in 2016 will remain in our memories forever.

Smads57
22-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Congrats Jacko - love your hardness in this middle of the ground and your quick hands around the packs

Ozza
22-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Congrats Jacko. Tremendous player.
Currently on a streak of 44 consecutive 20+ possession games - which I think sums up how he turns up to play every week.
Has only had fewer than 20 possessions in a game 11 times in his 99 games - and 4 of those were when he was the sub.
Highlights are obviously his winning goal in the Prelim, who would ever forget that. The week before, I think he had 16 of his 39 possessions in the third quarter when the game was up for grabs v Hawthorn. Getting him back for that finals series was huge.

WBFC4FFC
22-03-2018, 05:13 PM
The Club appreciates what he does, rewarding him with a 4-year Contract.

Hence a great example for any other player at the Club. You WILL get rewarded if you are a Team Player.

Ozza
22-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Would like to see Jack bring back his ‘goose step’. He did it all the time in his first year, to get around players - would love to see him bring it back into his game.

Twodogs
22-03-2018, 07:58 PM
I wonder why he lost that side step? It was a real asset and I can't recall him getting into any trouble doing it. He didn't drop the ball or get tackled because he was trying to do it.

The bulldog tragician
22-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Such a wonderful player and I’m surprised that his milestone isn’t getting attention. The guy who kicked THE most important goal of the decades since 1961. I’ll never forget seeing his tears when the boys sang the song after we beat GWS. Thanks Jack Macrae.

Go_Dogs
22-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Won't be surprised to see him in the AA squad this year. He's a 1000 cuts player, but if he can slightly improve his hurt factor and goal kicking he'll finish the year in the elite category. Consistently reliable and tough.

Well done on the first 100 Jackson.

Eastdog
22-03-2018, 11:11 PM
The Club appreciates what he does, rewarding him with a 4-year Contract.

Hence a great example for any other player at the Club. You WILL get rewarded if you are a Team Player.

As David Smorgon said in his speech the other night at the Season Launch "The club is bigger than any individual. We all have played apart to where it is today".

Bulldog Joe
23-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Macrae is a very under rated player, but he can change that by hitting the scoreboard.

I was at a function in December and had a chance to talk to him.

My advice was that "We do not need Daniel Cross always avoiding kicking for goal. When you are inside 50 take the ****** shot and kick some goals"

bornadog
23-03-2018, 06:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DY3sCX-V4AE6hac.jpg

Ghost Dog
23-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Macrae is a very under rated player, but he can change that by hitting the scoreboard.

I was at a function in December and had a chance to talk to him.

My advice was that "We do not need Daniel Cross always avoiding kicking for goal. When you are inside 50 take the ****** shot and kick some goals"

Well, he got us into a final didn't he. What a memory that was. Was so nervous because he does tend to kick them across the body a bit. Slotted it and the rest is history.

Twodogs
24-03-2018, 12:25 AM
Well, he got us into a final didn't he. What a memory that was. Was so nervous because he does tend to kick them across the body a bit. Slotted it and the rest is history.

Jack was so cool lining up the goal I was confident when he was walking in

dadsgirl16
29-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Sat behind his family in Canberra...they were so excited RWB stripes on the faces and the number 11..took photos of the banner
(before it broke)..pity we couldn't have had a better showing for his 100th

Ghost Dog
29-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Jack was so cool lining up the goal I was confident when he was walking in

His kicking has improved a lot. So happy we drafted him. Funny to think that people thought Stringer would be the better of the two. Know who I would rather have.

Mofra
06-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Odds on him making it 3 from 3 as our BOG this weekend?

Twodogs
06-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Odds on him making it 3 from 3 as our BOG this weekend?

$1.05

Eastdog
06-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Would be leading the early B&F count I would imagine ahead of McLean, Bont, Hunter.

Twodogs
09-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Did anyone else notice Jack's sidestep made a brief appearence in the third quarter? He picked the ball up at halfback, made for the middle of the ground but there was an opponent standing there just waiting to tackle him. Jack let the dog see just enough of the rabbit to think he had a chance of tackling him but then Jack just displaced his hips or whatever it is he does that allows him to step sideways and forwards without changing pace or his step pattern. The Essendon player just stood there. I jumped out of my seat.

Happy Days
09-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Did anyone else notice Jack's sidestep made a brief appearence in the third quarter? He picked the ball up at halfback, made for the middle of the ground but there was an opponent standing there just waiting to tackle him. Jack let the dog see just enough of the rabbit to think he had a chance of tackling him but then Jack just displaced his hips or whatever it is he does that allows him to step sideways and forwards without changing pace or his step pattern. The Essendon player just stood there. I jumped out of my seat.

He's definitely feeling himself right now. Playing with a lot more confidence and is a far more damaging player because of it.

Ozza
09-04-2018, 03:11 PM
I couldn't be loving Macrae much more right now! Even finding myself lobbying for my young bloke to get a number 11 on his newest dogs guernsey.

bornadog
09-04-2018, 03:12 PM
I noticed his long kicking has also improved.

Greystache
09-04-2018, 03:15 PM
His physicality is the improvement I've noticed most. He's a genuinely hard inside ball winner.

bornadog
09-04-2018, 03:34 PM
Jack Macrae now outright second behind Tom Mitchell in Herald Sun Super Ranking (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/jack-macrae-now-outright-second-behind-tom-mitchell-in-herald-sun-super-rankings/news-story/b2a6f9965f9e1ba65ef97a25a9216f28)

BornInDroopSt'54
09-04-2018, 03:58 PM
I noticed his long kicking has also improved.

He kicked a long one with his right foot too.

Smads57
09-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Jack Macrae now outright second behind Tom Mitchell in Herald Sun Super Ranking (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/jack-macrae-now-outright-second-behind-tom-mitchell-in-herald-sun-super-rankings/news-story/b2a6f9965f9e1ba65ef97a25a9216f28)

Any chance you can send a copy of this story BAD? (locked out)

bornadog
09-04-2018, 11:23 PM

Can't get it now I am also locked out. I should have copied the story. Not much it in just this that I can get on Google:

BULLDOGS midfielder Jack Macrae helped lead his team to their first win of the year and as a result is now outright second behind Tom Mitchell in the Herald Sun Super Rankings, while Brodie Grundy has surged into the top 5

Twodogs
10-04-2018, 12:53 AM
BULLDOGS midfielder Jack Macrae helped lead his team to their first win of the year and as a result is now outright second behind Tom Mitchell in the Herald Sun Super Rankings, while Brodie Grundy has surged into the top 5

Soon Tim English will be surging into top 5s of rankings.

The Adelaide Connection
10-04-2018, 01:49 AM
Seeing him have the confidence to have a shot (and kicking three last week!) has been awesome to see too.

jeemak
10-04-2018, 02:44 AM
His physicality is the improvement I've noticed most. He's a genuinely hard inside ball winner.

Interesting, it’s been my most admired of his attributes for a long time. I rate his usage and spread as his biggest improvement areas recently.

Greystache
10-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Interesting, it’s been my most admired of his attributes for a long time. I rate his usage and spread as his biggest improvement areas recently.

He seems to welcome the contact now and uses his physicality to knock players off the ball and get himself into space. I'm not sure I'd seen that previously. It probably feeds into him having more time and space on the spread.

Hitting the scoreboard will pretty much round him out as the complete player. Sign are good there already.

1eyedog
10-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Yep he's hard as nails Jack. It's not just his ability to physically spread it's also his vision in close as well as down the field where he is increasingly putting it to our advantage by hitting targets in space.

boydogs
10-04-2018, 11:23 PM

Jack Macrae now outright second behind Tom Mitchell in Herald Sun Super Rankings
Gilbert Gardiner, Herald Sun
April 9, 2018 2:34pm
Subscriber only

WESTERN Bulldogs midfielder Jack Macrae has skipped to outright second behind Hawthorn ball magnet Tom Mitchell in the official Herald Sun Super Rankings.

Macrae boasts the highest average (131) of any player at Whitten Oval, closely followed by premiership teammate Lachie Hunter, who surged 29 spots to round out the top-10.

SUPER RANKINGS: CLICK HERE FOR EVERY PLAYER RANKING PLUS ROBBO & ANDO’S WEEKLY TOP 20

Silky-skilled Bulldog Macrae has been one of the main beneficiaries of more midfield minutes as premiership coach Luke Beveridge looks to combat the loss of Tom Liberatore (knee), Jake Stringer (traded) and the retirements of prime movers Matthew Boyd and Bob Murphy.

“I started off, the first few years of my career, more on the wing and as an outside player,” Macrae said.

“With ‘Libba’ going done and a few other people retiring and moving on it’s a good opportunity to get inside and have more impact on the game.”

Macrae has already posted career-high numbers for disposals (30), inside 50s (seven), clearances (five), and contested possessions (11).

The Bulldogs effectively played keepings off against Essendon on Sunday, spreading the Bombers defence with pinpoint passes to players in space.

https://puu.sh/A09KS/73242503f9.jpg

Jack Macrae is now ranked second in the Super Rankings. Picture: Getty
“It was more just changing the angle of the footy,” Macrae told RSN Breakfast.

“We probably got caught going down the line a bit too often (first two games), so just taking the ball off the line, shifting Essendon’s defence and getting more dangerous inside 50s to our forwards.”

Ozza
12-04-2018, 12:21 AM
47 consecutive games (and counting) for Jacko having 20 possessions or more.

bornadog
12-04-2018, 10:01 AM
47 consecutive games (and counting) for Jacko having 20 possessions or more.

I wonder what the record is?

Ozza
12-04-2018, 10:31 AM
I wonder what the record is?

Josh Kennedy had 68 consecutive 20-plus possession games, and that run ended in round 19 last year.
Currently Danger has had 54, Treloar 52 and Macrae 47.

bornadog
12-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Josh Kennedy had 68 consecutive 20-plus possession games, and that run ended in round 19 last year.
Currently Danger has had 54, Treloar 52 and Macrae 47.

Macrae, so impressive, so underrated by the media and in general.

Axe Man
07-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Jack Macrae is leading the voting on Triple M at present:

13.Jack Macrae (WB)

11.Tom Mitchell (Haw)

11.Nat Fyfe (Fre)

9.Jesse Hogan (Melb)

8.Max Gawn (Melb)

8.Dustin Martin (Rich)

8.Brodie Grundy (Coll)

7.Steele Sidebottom (Coll)

7.Patrick Cripps (Carl)

7.Joel Selwood (Geel)

Murphy'sLore
07-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Okay, he's officially not under-rated any more! The secret is out!

bulldogtragic
07-05-2018, 03:51 PM
I wish he was in the leadership group. Imagine what he would've produced with the pressure/expectancy of captaincy on the weekend, and not just the pressure/expectancy of being a senior player...

Ozza
07-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Since the start of the 2016 season, Macrae is averaging 28.15 possessions per game. (Loves Gold Coast - 31.5 v them). 30 or more possessions in 22 of those 51 games, and never under 20.

His time on ground % is huge this season. Started the year with 84% TOG v the Giants, but then 92 & 93% TOG in the last 2 weeks. Which means he is probably having 2 x 5 min spells in the game, and playing entire quarters otherwise. Not many mids do that. Tom Scully does it, but not many other mids would be into the 90%+

bulldogtragic
07-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Since the start of the 2016 season, Macrae is averaging 28.15 possessions per game. (Loves Gold Coast - 31.5 v them). 30 or more possessions in 22 of those 51 games, and never under 20.

His time on ground % is huge this season. Started the year with 84% TOG v the Giants, but then 92 & 93% TOG in the last 2 weeks. Which means he is probably having 2 x 5 min spells in the game, and playing entire quarters otherwise. Not many mids do that. Tom Scully does it, but not many other mids would be into the 90%+

How insanely good is that GCS stat? 31.5 disposals, 6.5 marks, 4 tackles etc, etc. They should start tagging him, maybe? (From their perspective)

Mofra
07-05-2018, 04:18 PM
How insanely good is that GCS stat? 31.5 disposals, 6.5 marks, 4 tackles etc, etc. They should start tagging him, maybe? (From their perspective)
He does love GCS - his 43 possession, 2 goal game (a record for a teenager) was against GCS.

bornadog
07-05-2018, 04:49 PM
He does love GCS - his 43 possession, 2 goal game (a record for a teenager) was against GCS.

and loves Ballarat with 41 disposals last year

bulldogtragic
07-05-2018, 04:54 PM

They've seen a show 7 games in a row from Jack now. If GCS don't tag him next time it will be bewildering.

LostDoggy
07-05-2018, 04:54 PM

They actually had a very good defensive player, Touk Miller, running with him most of the day, which makes Macrae's performance all the more outstanding.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2018, 05:14 PM
They actually had a very good defensive player, Touk Miller, running with him most of the day, which makes Macrae's performance all the more outstanding.

For sure. I don't know if he was fit, but Barlow in a more traditional lock down role would've been I thought a preferable option. As an aside, I love that Stringer is gone. Contract talk and re-signings was always the two of them together and Stringer dominated the press. I hope to see him flourish without being tied down to Stringer when the press and how important his contract re-signing is for our club.

Twodogs
07-05-2018, 05:16 PM

I think they did, with all the differing tactics for tagging these days it can be hard to tell but like PP said Touk Miller seemed to be flailing in Jack's wake a fair bit.

and loves Ballarat with 41 disposals last year

And last year, mr consistent.

kruder
13-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Loved Bevo's description of Jackson in the presser particulally in reference to his footskills ;).

“His skill set is a bit different from some of the others. He’s a bit dour and strong and tough in-close and that left foot can sometimes be unusual, but it can sometimes be quite deadly and his hands are elite.”

bornadog
13-05-2018, 01:01 PM
30 plus disposals in 7 of 8 games this season. Currently 3rd on total AFL disposals by only a couple.

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 01:23 PM
30 plus disposals in 7 of 8 games this season. Currently 3rd on total AFL disposals by only a couple.

Will be #1 after this week, with the 2 ahead of him having relatively quiet weeks.

The bulldog tragician
13-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Always thought Bont will win a Brownlow - might Jack beat him to it?

whythelongface
14-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Always thought Bont will win a Brownlow - might Jack beat him to it?

He would have to be right up there at present. Would have polled in most of the games and certainly the last 3 would have received the maximum no. of votes.

He is outstanding. Not the most dynamic player in our team but certainly our most important.

LostDoggy
14-05-2018, 12:48 PM
I'd reckon the 3 players that have had multiple clear BOG games to date would be Fyfe, Mitchell and Macrae.

Twodogs
14-05-2018, 02:18 PM
I'd reckon the 3 players that have had multiple clear BOG games to date would be Fyfe, Mitchell and Macrae.

Mitchell has dropped off the pace. He was good for the first month.

Eastdog
14-05-2018, 02:56 PM
He has flown under the radar but Jack Macrae has been excellent this year.

Top 3 players for us in 2018 I reckon so far:

Macrae
McLean
Hunter

Bont, Gowers, Naughton, Caleb Daniel, English, Williams also been quite good this year. Naughton in his first year in particular been very good along with Richards as well.

Boyd and Lipinksi very good since coming in. Gowers and Lipinski providing us with firepower up forward.

Topdog
14-05-2018, 04:54 PM
8 Brownlow votes last year, 1 the year before. He isnt "sexy" so doesnt get votes

Ozza
14-05-2018, 05:11 PM
8 Brownlow votes last year, 1 the year before. He isnt "sexy" so doesnt get votes

He'll vote this year. The highest possession getters have always polled strongly, and he is far more an 'inside' midfielder this season, which gets on the radars more.

Greystache
14-05-2018, 05:18 PM
He'll vote this year. The highest possession getters have always polled strongly, and he is far more an 'inside' midfielder this season, which gets on the radars more.

It'll also be interesting to see if he starts polling more from this point in the season now that he's getting more media attention. It seems like players need a big media push behind them before they start getting umpires votes regularly. Almost as if they need to be given permission before they start giving a high number of votes to one player.

bornadog
14-05-2018, 05:54 PM
It'll also be interesting to see if he starts polling more from this point in the season now that he's getting more media attention. It seems like players need a big media push behind them before they start getting umpires votes regularly. Almost as if they need to be given permission before they start giving a high number of votes to one player.

It's also ridiculous that the 3 Brownlow votes is usually from the winning team.

Go_Dogs
14-05-2018, 08:22 PM

This.

Will be very interesting to observe how that goes.

LostDoggy
14-05-2018, 10:18 PM
The AFL website has a Brownlow Predictor, basing votes every game on various media votes, stats, etc. Their top 5 at present are:

15 - Fyfe
11- Cripps
10 - Martin, Mitchell
9 - Cotchin

Macrae is one of a bunch coming next on 8 votes

Twodogs
14-05-2018, 11:36 PM

Yep the media anoints a player and the umpires fall into line.

You'd think Macrae would have the Victorian bloc solid, but the interstate mafia will get their players in the frame before season's end.

LostDoggy
15-05-2018, 12:44 AM
Yep the media anoints a player and the umpires fall into line.

You'd think Macrae would have the Victorian bloc solid, but the interstate mafia will get their players in the frame before season's end.

Good conspiracy theory but I'm pretty sure the umps still put their votes in immediately postgame. Either way, Brownlow shmownlow.

jeemak
15-05-2018, 12:51 AM
Good conspiracy theory but I'm pretty sure the umps still put their votes in immediately postgame. Either way, Brownlow shmownlow.

They mean umpires will notice players more so within games post media recognition...and vote accordingly.

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 01:22 AM

I agree. The Brownlow seems to be a curse for any of our players who win it.

westdog54
19-05-2018, 01:16 PM
As horrific as last night was, Jack was insanely good.

Putting aside the 38 disposals/23 contested and 13 tackles, he took a one on one contested mark against Jacobs of all players, and recorded zero clangers.

None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Out of 38 disposals. In torrential rain. Under a tag.

That's Beast Mode level.

Twodogs
19-05-2018, 03:30 PM
As horrific as last night was, Jack was insanely good.

Putting aside the 38 disposals/23 contested and 13 tackles, he took a one on one contested mark against Jacobs of all players, and recorded zero clangers.

None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Out of 38 disposals. In torrential rain. Under a tag.

That's Beast Mode level.

Far out, are you sure about that? Not that I doubt you or Jack, it's just that its...

Are you sure?

Mantis
19-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Whilst he was clean with the ball he didn’t kick enough for my liking in those conditions. Only 12 kicks from 36 disposals isn’t what’s required when it’s hosing it down.

Also thought he laboured a bit in defensive transition when we needed him to push back hard.. maybe being picky, but thems the breaks.

Go_Dogs
19-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Whilst he was clean with the ball he didn’t kick enough for my liking in those conditions. Only 12 kicks from 36 disposals isn’t what’s required when it’s hosing it down.

Also thought he laboured a bit in defensive transition when we needed him to push back hard.. maybe being picky, but thems the breaks.

He's got a hip injury too I believe, hence the labouring.

bornadog
19-05-2018, 10:11 PM
He's got a hip injury too I believe, hence the labouring.

Macrae, or do you mean The Bont

bornadog
21-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Games with 30+ disposals in 2018

1x: 34 players
2x: 21 players
3x: 10 players
4x: 5 players
5x: 4 players
6x: Sidebottom
7x: Laird
8x: JACKSON MACRAE

Greystache
21-05-2018, 04:57 PM
4th favourite in Brownlow betting now.

Go_Dogs
21-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Macrae, or do you mean The Bont

Macrae. Heard he was having a bit of work done on it Friday night (may not be accurate).

ledge
21-05-2018, 08:55 PM
I got him at $26 . Would have got him at $151 a few weeks ago.

Ozza
22-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Interesting that Macrae didn't get coaches votes, or votes on fox footy and a number of the tv/radio. However, he got 3 votes in the Herald Sun. Will be an interesting one on brownlow night - as the difference between him polling up to three, or possibly nil, in that game might have a say in whether he wins it.

In any case, we're going to need to win enough games to give him a chance.

bornadog
22-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Interesting that Macrae didn't get coaches votes, or votes on fox footy and a number of the tv/radio. However, he got 3 votes in the Herald Sun. Will be an interesting one on brownlow night - as the difference between him polling up to three, or possibly nil, in that game might have a say in whether he wins it.

In any case, we're going to need enough games to give him a chance.

The Brownlow has turned into a bit of a farce, with players only getting three votes if their team wins. That is just bullshit. The brownlow is an individual award, and should be the best and fairest on the ground, not based on what his team mates did.

Mantis
22-05-2018, 11:26 AM
The Brownlow has turned into a bit of a farce, with players only getting three votes if their team wins. That is just bullshit. The brownlow is an individual award, and should be the best and fairest on the ground, not based on what his team mates did.

It should and is based on how influential said player is on the result of the game... and in this particular game Jack's influence was minimal.

Twodogs
22-05-2018, 11:42 AM
It should and is based on how influential said player is on the result of the game... and in this particular game Jack's influence was minimal.

I agree. The most influential player on the ground is always nearly going to come from the winning team. They won by having more influential players on the ground. It goes to show how unbelievable Templeton's Brownlow win in 1980 was. He was a key forward (a KPF had never won it before) and his team won 5 games! He was a freak.

The Adelaide Connection
22-05-2018, 12:56 PM

Add that it looks like if you are in the mix you don’t get the same treatment by the MRO as the other plebs. Mitchell should already be wiped and Fyfe should have at least been looked at.

Prince Imperial
22-05-2018, 02:10 PM
I agree. The most influential player on the ground is always nearly going to come from the winning team. They won by having more influential players on the ground. It goes to show how unbelievable Templeton's Brownlow win in 1980 was. He was a key forward (a KPF had never won it before) and his team won 5 games! He was a freak.

I was only 11-12 years old and it was the first full season of games that I had ever witnessed. Even taking those things into account it was easily the best season I have ever seen from a Bulldogs player.

Twodogs
22-05-2018, 02:35 PM
I was only 11-12 years old and it was the first full season of games that I had ever witnessed. Even taking those things into account it was easily the best season I have ever seen from a Bulldogs player.

I think it's the best I've seen from any player. He was incredible. We didn't have 'show and tell' at my school, we had 'how good was Kelvin on Saturday?'

He won a Brownlow medal playing centre half forward when it was THE position on the ground. Every attack went through him, he'd start moving when the full back was looking for somebody to kick it to and run up to the wing to provide an option. And down to the pocket to draw opponents away from his teammates. He was a 22 year old captain of a team that won 5 games learning to play a new position that was the most draining and important position on the ground under a first year coach. Who happened to be one of the best exponents of the position himself! He played the position so well that he won the Brownlow.

josie
22-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Wish I had seen KT play. Only seen the occasional highlight. Great to hear about woof recollections. Let’s hope a few of our current brigade - here’s looking at you Bonti, Jacko and Toby - also become the stuff bulldog legends are made of.

Twodogs
22-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Wish I had seen KT play. Only seen the occasional highlight. Great to hear about woof recollections. Let’s hope a few of our current brigade - here’s looking at you Bonti, Jacko and Toby - also become the stuff bulldog legends are made of.

There's quite a lot on YouTube but it doesn't do him justice. You don't see him shake off four defenders by the time the camera gets there to film him taking a mark on his chest all by himself.

ledge
23-05-2018, 12:07 PM
My all time champs growing up were Ray Huppatz, Geoff Jennings, Kelvin Templeton,Doug Hawkins,Chris Grant and the Bont now, but Macrae definitley in my sights since he came to the club , one of those quiet accumulators that no one notices, can't believe the media has taken so long to notice , he was breaking records from the moment he played AFL.
Sadly the media have favourites and no matter what others do they are ignored, as an example SHeahen still had NIc Nat in his top 50 this year and he hadn't played a game for pretty much two years.
The way Macavaney goes on you would think Carey will win the Brownlow this year.
When will the media start judging players anew each season ?

Twodogs
23-05-2018, 02:09 PM
My all time champs growing up were Ray Huppatz, Geoff Jennings, Kelvin Templeton,Doug Hawkins,Chris Grant and the Bont now, but Macrae definitley in my sights since he came to the club , one of those quiet accumulators that no one notices, can't believe the media has taken so long to notice , he was breaking records from the moment he played AFL.
Sadly the media have favourites and no matter what others do they are ignored, as an example SHeahen still had NIc Nat in his top 50 this year and he hadn't played a game for pretty much two years.
The way Macavaney goes on you would think Carey will win the Brownlow this year.

You'd think with more media reporting footy that there would be more opinion and the boys club would be broken up a bit. You'd think there would be better analysis of games and a kid walking into a team and racking up 30+ touches each week would prompt a bit of comment apart from the "this Jack Macrae I'd alright" whenever he gets 40+. You'd think the other kid who really sank the money shot on prelim final night to finally sink the monkey that had been in our back for decades would rate a mention. But it's just turned into (to quote Mark Latham) a conga line of suck holes.

Jack is getting the credit he has always deserved now anyway.

Ozza
23-05-2018, 02:52 PM
You'd think with more media reporting footy that there would be more opinion and the boys club would be broken up a bit. You'd think there would be better analysis of games and a kid walking into a team and racking up 30+ touches each week would prompt a bit of comment apart from the "this Jack Macrae I'd alright" whenever he gets 40+. You'd think the other kid who really sank the money shot on prelim final night to finally sink the monkey that had been in our back for decades would rate a mention. But it's just turned into (to quote Mark Latham) a conga line of suck holes.

Jack is getting the credit he has always deserved now anyway.

Its a reasonable point, that Macrae is only getting the media exposure now is fairly strange given that he has done things that should put him on the radar in a big way;

- A number 6 draft pick.
- Has gotten huge numbers ever since he entered the league (ranked 4th of all current players for career disposals average/ ranked 7th of all time for disposals average)
- Youngest player to get 40 possessions in a game
- Had 39 possessions in the Hawthorn final - including 16 in the third quarter where the damage was done.
- Kicked the winning goal in the prelim!
- Had 33 possessions and 10 score involvements in a grand final - and was in some people's eyes, the best player on the ground.

bornadog
23-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Its a reasonable point, that Macrae is only getting the media exposure now, is fairly strange given that he has done thinks that should put him on the radar in a big way;

- A number 6 draft pick.
- Has gotten huge numbers ever since he entered the league (ranked 4th of all current players for career disposals average/ ranked 7th of all time for disposals average)
- Youngest player to get 40 possessions in a game
- Had 39 possessions in the Hawthorn final - including 16 in the third quarter where the damage was done.
- Kicked the winning goal in the prelim!
- Had 33 possessions and 10 score involvements in a grand final - and was in some people's eyes, the best player on the ground.

That is some record

Eastdog
23-05-2018, 03:13 PM

Yeah I agree ledge. The media certainly have their favourites. Jack Macrae definitely has flown under the radar for a while but at least now he is getting the recognition he deserves. Yes Jack is one of those quiet accumulators :)

Eastdog
23-05-2018, 03:14 PM
That is some record

Pretty impressive career so far.

Eastdog
23-05-2018, 03:14 PM

Me too. I would have loved the day he kicked 13 goals at the Western Oval in 1978. That was 11 years before I was born.

bornadog
23-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Me too. I would have loved the day he kicked 13 goals at the Western Oval in 1978. That was 11 years before I was born.

actually 15 goals 9 behinds

Eastdog
23-05-2018, 03:23 PM
actually 15 goals 9 behinds

Amazing stuff! You wont see that very often these days.

LostDoggy
23-05-2018, 04:09 PM
We'd be more than happy with 15.9 from the entire team most weeks....

LostDoggy
23-05-2018, 04:20 PM

In any case, we're going to need to win enough games to give him a chance.

The AFL's Brownlow Predictor interestingly gave Jack the 3 Votes this round. They now have him on 11 votes, joint 2nd with Cripps and trailling Fyfe, 15.

The AFL Coaches have the 3 leading players (different scoring system) as Fyfe, Gawn and Darling, with Macrae and Mitchell equal 4th.

Twodogs
23-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Amazing stuff! You wont see that very often these days.

You didn't see it very often back then either.

LostDoggy
25-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Back in the 70s and 80s a much more diverse range of players won the Brownlow. Key forwards (Templeton, Quinlan, Lockett), Defenders (Hardie, Murray, Glendinning), Wingers (Dipper, Greig twice), Rucks (Wynd, Dempsey, Moss, Thompson etc) and onballers (Libba, Platten, Williams, Wilson etc).

These days it's a lock that a mid will win. Ever since umpires votes were revealled on a match by match basis, and scrutiny has increased, their votes have become a lot more safe/stat based.

Twodogs
25-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Back in the 70s and 80s a much more diverse range of players won the Brownlow. Key forwards (Templeton, Quinlan, Lockett), Defenders (Hardie, Murray, Glendinning), Wingers (Dipper, Greig twice), Rucks (Wynd, Dempsey, Moss, Thompson etc) and onballers (Libba, Platten, Williams, Wilson etc).

These days it's a lock that a mid will win. Ever since umpires votes were revealled on a match by match basis, and scrutiny has increased, their votes have become a lot more safe/stat based.

You know I could easily live without knowing who the umpires voted for. I couldn't care less who voted for what and strictly speaking it's none of my business. Then again if the umpires awarded all six votes to opposition players and we won by 100 points you'd want to have some of what they were on. I wonder what the maximum number of votes awarded to a team that lost is? Has a team that lost ever got all six votes?

Back in the day when they had those big boards on stage and the captains awkwardly shuffling around and putting the votes up on them it was a different way that they announced the votes wasn't it? They read out all the one votes first, then the twos and then the threes, did we have access to which umpire voted for whom back then? I guess they changed it in the '80s sometime. And you're right it's when the Brownlow went from being the best player to the best midfielder in the comp.

Greystache
25-05-2018, 12:53 PM

The umpires also now give the 3 votes almost exclusively to the most high profile midfielder who played well on the day, knowing the impact it has on Brownlow night. If a Dangerfield/Fyfe/Martin plays well the get the 3, not the 2 or the 1, always the 3. Even when there was a player or two who were better on the day, the 3 now always goes to the high profile player. That's why to win now a player needs to poll 30-36 votes to win, where as 20-25 would often be enough.

Basically it's;

10-12 excellent games a year= 10-12 3 vote games= 30-36 votes. No twos or ones for good games.

Ozza
25-05-2018, 02:59 PM
I'll be in the minority, and say that the umpires are not way off base in reflecting how the game is played now. It is a midfielders dominated game these days, with every player following the play from one end to the other, and the midfielders who can win clearances, gather big numbers and also hit the scoreboard - having the biggest impact on the result. It is how the game is played, and how it is coached.

Dusty had 11 3 vote games last season. And to be honest, are many or any, of these 3-vote performances in dispute.

Its possible that the premier players in the competition have never been more dominant than they are right now. And the best players usually play on ball - no matter what size they are.

craigsahibee
25-05-2018, 03:54 PM
The Brownlow lost all credibility and relativity the year Shane Woewodin won it.

Mofra
25-05-2018, 04:34 PM
The Brownlow lost all credibility and relativity the year Shane Woewodin won it.
I'm not so sure - he was very good that year (he was no Scott West though).
97 was a far bigger travesty, and Grant was desperately unlucky in 98 too.

bornadog
25-05-2018, 04:40 PM
I'm not so sure - he was very good that year (he was no Scott West though).
97 was a far bigger travesty, and Grant was desperately unlucky in 98 too.

Grant could have won it, or drawn for first in 1996. The last game of the year he got 2 votes and Hird 3 only because they won.

LostDoggy
25-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Grant could have won it, or drawn for first in 1996. The last game of the year he got 2 votes and Hird 3 only because they won.

What an awesome contest it was that night. I remember Hird and Grant slugging it out in contest after contest of highest quality. Just looked up the stats, Hird had 30 touches 13 marks, Grant had 24, 8 marks. I remember on the night thinking they totally matched each other, but hard to argue with Hird getting the nod.

Grant did miss the Brownlow by 1 vote, playing CHB in a team that won 5 games, amazing performance.

jeemak
25-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Here's the stats sheet.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=528

Grant with two could have been given the chocolates.

What really stands out is the hit outs and tackle count.........different game all together (cue Flying High response in unison).

Twodogs
25-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Here's the stats sheet.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=528

Grant with two could have been given the chocolates.

What really stands out is the hit outs and tackle count.........different game all together (cue Flying High response in unison).

I love that Chris kicks two from CHB and holds his opponent to none.

It was Steve Wallis's last match. Terry Wallace grabs him at 3/4 as the group is breaking up and asks them to win for him.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2018, 05:58 PM

Agree. If that was the case in years gone by Bobby Skilton wouldn't have won 3 as South were mostly down the bottom end of the ladder.

Twodogs
29-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Agree. If that was the case in years gone by Bobby Skilton wouldn't have won 3 as South were mostly down the bottom end of the ladder.

He played one final in his entire career in 1970 and Norm Smith wanted to drop him from that. Skilton was no sure thing to be selected.

I remember him going up to collect one of his Brownlows with two black eyes.

bornadog
09-08-2018, 02:39 PM

Has become an A Grader this year and starting to get noticed. He is a ball magnet:

Some stats

Players with 30 plus disposals in 2018

1x: 42 players
2x: 16 players
3x: 17 players
4x: 5 players
5x: 7 players
6x: 6 players
7x: 6 players
8x: 3 players
9x: 2 players
10x: 3 players
11x: L Neale C Oliver
12x: M Crouch A Gaff T Mitchell R Laird
13x: JACK MACRAE

Rocket Science
09-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Jacko's one of those players that continually makes you feel grateful - and being a Dogs' supporter, oddly undeserving - we've got him.

It's curious, the lather over Tom Mitchell's exploits compared to the lack thereof with Macrae's.

Twodogs
09-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Jacko's one of those players that continually makes you feel grateful - and being a Dogs' supporter, oddly undeserving - we've got him.

It's curious, the lather over Tom Mitchell's exploits compared to the lack thereof with Macrae's.

Jack doesn't elbow opponents to the head so obviously doesn't want to win as much. Probably isn't a good bloke like Mitchell either.

Go_Dogs
09-08-2018, 10:31 PM
I hazard a guess that Jack played less games than the balance of that list too....anyway, keep it quiet.

Eastdog
09-08-2018, 10:34 PM
A great year from Jack. Has had a big impact of our side in an overall ordinary season.