PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gordon on SEN

bornadog
27-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Will be on this morning

Sedat
27-03-2018, 11:30 AM
Unconvincing - when you reference Taylor Swift "haters are gonna hate" about some sections of the media and even bothering to mention the internet troll community, it's not a decisive statement that everything is rosy at the kennel.

Honestly, we have no idea what true hate is in the media and the social media swamp compared to the likes of Collingwood and Richmond. I feel like we are developing something of a thin skin. What if we start the season poorly and the media really go hard at us on match day selections and structural issues in a few weeks time, as they would rightly ask?

We're a fascinating team right now - will be very interesting to see how we handle expectations and media messaging in the coming weeks.

bornadog
27-03-2018, 11:33 AM
* Wants to increase capacity of VU Whitten Oval

* Strong chance to gain an injunction for Katie, all paperwork was ready to go. Timing was not good with getting to court, but toll on players would have impacted GF. Decision was left to Katie who decided not to go ahead.

* Shocked and Disappointed by Sunday result. We embarrassed ourselves, we know we are better than that.

* As President, must show support and commitment to group.

Gerard asking - People saying things aren't quite right at Whitten Oval

* Don't listen to outsiders, we have a united team. all organisations have ups and downs. We know internet Trolls will have a go.

* On Jason and Simon didn't really answer question on whether there were divisions, but said Ahmeet handled situation well and has recruited great people to take over.

* Stressed, we are doing well with 4 flags since 2014, doubled membership, eradicated debts, and last 3 years million dollar profits

* Heart broken about Tom, he is a great young man.

bornadog
27-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Unconvincing - when you reference Taylor Swift "haters are gonna hate" about some sections of the media and even bothering to mention the internet troll community, it's not a decisive statement that everything is rosy at the kennel.

Honestly, we have no idea what true hate is in the media and the social media swamp compared to the likes of Collingwood and Richmond. I feel like we are developing something of a thin skin. What if we start poorly and the media really go hard at us on match day selections and structural issues, as they would rightly ask?

We're a fascinating team right now - will be very interesting to see how we handle expectations and media messaging in the coming weeks.

Since our success I have never seen Bulldog supporters on forums and social media in general turn against the club as much as it has. Mostly stupid insignificant things. The Players and coach deserve criticism for Sundays debacle, but some of the comments are purely embarrassing.

Sedat
27-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Since our success I have never seen Bulldog supporters on forums and social media in general turn against the club as much as it has. Mostly stupid insignificant things. The Players and coach deserve criticism for Sundays debacle, but some of the comments are purely embarrassing.
They are nuffies and there are 100 times more of them for clubs like Collingwood and Richmond. It speaks of a scrambled mindset when you're focusing on the musings of nuffies in the dirty social media swamp.

bornadog
27-03-2018, 02:00 PM
They are nuffies and there are 100 times more of them for clubs like Collingwood and Richmond. It speaks of a scrambled mindset when you're focusing on the musings of nuffies in the dirty social media swamp.

Yep, best to steer clear.

LostDoggy
27-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Rarely post here but Gordon rarely says anything of interest or value to media. He obviously does a lot of things for the club and that is great. But if I want honest insight and self reflection on the club, Peter is one of the last people I'd listen to. Just seems to have a very thin skin, as does Bev for that matter.

ledge
27-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Rarely post here but Gordon rarely says anything of interest or value to media. He obviously does a lot of things for the club and that is great. But if I want honest insight and self reflection on the club, Peter is one of the last people I'd listen to. Just seems to have a very thin skin, as does Bev for that matter.

Not sure it's thin skin I would say it's more the opposite, we just don't bother with the media and don't give anything up. To me that's a thick skin.

bornadog
27-03-2018, 05:07 PM
'Haters gonna hate': Gordon defends Dogs (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-27/haters-gonna-hate-gordon-defends-dogs)

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has quoted pop star Taylor Swift in an impassioned defence of his club amid speculation of unrest.

An 82-point thrashing at the hands of Greater Western Sydney in the opening round followed an underwhelming premiership defence of club's 2016 flag triumph and several changes in key staff over the off-season.

Ameet Bains replaced Gary Kent as CEO, Sam Power is now the club's list manger after Jason McCartney defected to the Giants, while Nick Austin is the new recruiting manager after Simon Dalrymple joined Sydney.

The Dogs traded forward Jake Stringer to Essendon after coach Luke Beveridge said it would be best for both parties if the 2015 All Australian departed.

Speaking on SEN on Tuesday, Gordon empathically denied the team's indifferent performances over the past 18 months was due to conflict engulfing the club.

"I think that it's not a good idea when you are committed to a cause to listen to outside noise, and I don't," Gordon said.
"If I thought there was a significant internal division, I would (say something). I don't fundamentally agree that there is.

"Every organisation is going to have its up and downs, and as the Taylor Swift song goes, 'haters are going to hate'.
"We know in the media and internet troll community there will be people who will seize on any opportunity to start making these (rumours).

"(With) my hand on my heart, I feel that this club is strong and united, and we're behind our players, behind 'Bevo' (Beveridge) and we're behind Ameet.

"We'll come back from this."

Gordon said the club will push on with "ambitious plans" to redevelop sections of Whitten Oval so it can hold larger crowds like the AFLW Grand Final.

The club was hopeful of holding this year's decider it won against Brisbane on the weekend before the AFL decided the predicted wet weather warranted Ikon Park's superior undercover amenities.

The club's former home ground has a capacity of 12,000 and has hosted JLT Community Series matches in the past.

"One of the things I want to see before my second stint of president ends is a master plan implemented at the Whitten Oval, which does make it capable of seating people undercover that Ikon Park can currently accommodate," Gordon said.

"What's made that possible is women's footy, and the number of people who want to come back to the Whitten Oval to watch footy."

hujsh
27-03-2018, 05:14 PM
'Haters gonna hate'... great.

LostDoggy
27-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Not sure it's thin skin I would say it's more the opposite, we just don't bother with the media and don't give anything up. To me that's a thick skin.

Yeah have to disagree. For instance just recently, Gordon's press release re Alberti, and Bev's (over) reaction to the Dahl on trade table story, shows they are definitely bothering with the media.

Also just noticed this

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17839-Why-is-the-club-fighting-with-EVERYONE

Greystache
27-03-2018, 05:31 PM
I really wish Peter would be quiet.

When the team's just been belted by 80 points in round 1, in a result that was clearly going to happen from the moment the side was announced, it's hard to justify being upset at people criticizing the team. Tack that on to the appalling job we've been doing of late in the public relations space and this was inevitable.

The only response we should be making is on the field, while behind the scenes making wholesale changes to our communications strategy and personnel.

bornadog
27-03-2018, 06:09 PM
I thought it was a positive interview if you listen to it.

GVGjr
27-03-2018, 07:12 PM
I agree BAD, the interview was more about positives but I think we would all agree that after our performance on the weekend we are looking for an on field effort not just positive words. I wouldn't imagine PG saying we were having some difficulties anyway.

I remain positive but to me now its more about how we respond with the efforts of the players.

Big game this week.

bornadog
27-03-2018, 11:16 PM
I agree BAD, the interview was more about positives but I think we would all agree that after our performance on the weekend we are looking for an on field effort not just positive words. I wouldn't imagine PG saying we were having some difficulties anyway.

I remain positive but to me now its more about how we respond with the efforts of the players.

Big game this week.

Couldn't agree more, on field it has to happen.

What annoys me is Peter does a positive interview and posters are bagging him. In other threads we are canning the club for not having positive media. I really give up on this.

Bring on Sunday, let's mash West Coast.

hujsh
27-03-2018, 11:38 PM
Couldn't agree more, on field it has to happen.

What annoys me is Peter does a positive interview and posters are bagging him. In other threads we are canning the club for not having positive media. I really give up on this.

Bring on Sunday, let's mash West Coast.

I just cringe at the whole 'haters gonna hate' thing. I think it's often a pretty stupid thing to say usually said by people who don't take criticism well. It may be superficial but I feel it reflects poorly on the club

Twodogs
28-03-2018, 12:00 AM
I just cringe at the whole 'haters gonna hate' thing. I think it's often a pretty stupid thing to say usually said by people who don't take criticism well. It may be superficial but I feel it reflects poorly on the club

I don't think it's that bad. And it's true. If he didn't say anything that just emboldens the turds who think they get to have a free swing and nothing comes back their way.

hujsh
28-03-2018, 12:09 AM
I don't think it's that bad. And it's true. If he didn't say anything that just emboldens the turds who think they get to have a free swing and nothing comes back their way.

Frankly after that performance we deserve all the criticism. But also just say it literally any other way and I won't immediately tune out.

Eastdog
28-03-2018, 12:09 AM

Yeah there are always those media hounds out there that are going to say negatives about us and ones that will be good to us and provide constructive criticism. It is a message to all those ones that purposely fabricate stories.

Twodogs
28-03-2018, 12:35 AM
Frankly after that performance we deserve all the criticism. But also just say it literally any other way and I won't immediately tune out.

Yep I get what you mean. We deserve criticism and more. We just didn't seem to make an effort.

Greystache
28-03-2018, 01:13 PM

Exactly. We either "give 'em nothin'" or we put out some hopelessly inept message that makes us look more amateur than if we said nothing. We just don't seem to have any idea of how to do this stuff right.

Twodogs
28-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Exactly. We either "give 'em nothin'" or we put out some hopelessly inept message that makes us look more amateur than if we said nothing. We just don't seem to have any idea of how to do this stuff right.

Don't suppose you are looking for a job in communications...

The bonus is PG walks into your office once a week and yells at you.

Greystache
28-03-2018, 01:41 PM

Not in the current environment I'm not! Meh it would no worse than the daily reminders of having committed the crime of being born a white, hetero, male, and daring to work in a big corporation. I think I'd prefer PG's approach to the death by a thousand PC cuts.

Greystache
28-03-2018, 01:57 PM

Perhaps we should have a thread dedicated to- How we could have handled things better.

This week's could have been;

"Obviously we're bitterly disappointed with the loss on the weekend. No one like to lose round 1, and certainly not by that margin, but the reality is there's 21 games to go. We've had an interrupted preseason for a number of our experienced players and we've struggled to get the team we want on the park all together to build our chemistry. We actually had the youngest and least experienced team in the AFL on the weekend. That's not an excuse, just a fact. A lot gets said about the outcomes of round 1 and its impact on each team's chances for the season, and that's fair enough because it's the only real sample of which to judge teams, but it's just one game and internally we don't get carried away by it or let it distract us.

We'll have a number of premiership players coming back in the coming weeks and I'm certain round 1 will be seen as an anomaly. We have proven we're a good team with good leaders, and I'm certain you'll see a strong response this weekend and I think West Coast will be aware of that. It's our first home game and I know the players are chomping at the bit to attack it. Training has been really high intensity, the players are fired up, and Bevo has that look in his eyes that only Bevo gets. I'd encourage all our supporters to get to the game this weekend because it's going to be very exciting response"

Mantis
28-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Perhaps we should have a thread dedicated to- How we could have handled things better.

"Obviously we're bitterly disappointed with the loss on the weekend. No one like to lose round 1, and certainly not by that margin, but the reality is there's 21 games to go. We've had an interrupted preseason for a number of our experienced players and we've struggled to get the team we want on the park all together to build our chemistry. We actually had the youngest and least experienced team in the AFL on the weekend. That's not an excuse, just a fact. A lot gets said about the outcomes of round 1 and its impact on each team's chances for the season, and that's fair enough because it's the only real sample of which to judge teams, but it's just one game and internally we don't get carried away by it or let it distract us.

We'll have a number of premiership players coming back in the coming weeks and I'm certain round 1 will be seen as an anomaly. We have proven we're a good team with good leaders, and I'm certain you'll see a strong response this weekend and I think West Coast will be aware of that. It's our first home game and I know the players are chomping at the bit to attack it. Training has been really high intensity, the players are fired up, and Bevo has that look in his eyes that only Bevo gets. I'd encourage all our supporters to get to the game this weekend because it's going to be very exciting response"

That makes far too much sense to come out of our club.. Easier to reference pop culture and distance yourself further from your supporter base than provide logic & reason to a discussion after a poor performance.

Twodogs
28-03-2018, 03:11 PM

Is that a definite "No" or "get back to me No? We could make you an honourary member of the sisterhood or something for career purposes.

Remi Moses
28-03-2018, 03:13 PM
He was mainly talking about the afl w success and basically it was just a throwaway line .
He troopers out some cliches he would have still copped it
Can’t win

bornadog
28-03-2018, 03:18 PM
He was mainly talking about the afl w success and basically it was just a throwaway line .
He troopers out some cliches he would have still copped it
Can’t win

Can't please everybody

Greystache
28-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Can't please everybody

Or most even

Remi Moses
28-03-2018, 03:31 PM
Can't please everybody

Like a bit more of a body of work in season 2018 before I’d call it a crisis . If we roll out the rubbish from Sunday again I’d be worried .I’d be less inclined to listen to the outside noise of Barrett and Lyon and the like .

Ghost Dog
29-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Not in the current environment I'm not! Meh it would no worse than the daily reminders of having committed the crime of being born a white, hetero, male, and daring to work in a big corporation. I think I'd prefer PG's approach to the death by a thousand PC cuts.

Melbourne is the capital of outrage culture and PC police.

hujsh
29-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Please no. Let's not have this become a "PC" debate.

Ghost Dog
29-03-2018, 04:00 PM

Are you being PC by not wanting us to mention PC??? :D tisk tisk, how PC. I'm outraged!
Anyway, whenever you wonder what a new president might be like, just consider some people have to suffer Jeff Kennett....or Eddie...

Remi Moses
29-03-2018, 05:32 PM

Come on hujush you should know everything you don’t like is P.C gone mad :D

Remi Moses
29-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Melbourne is the capital of outrage culture and PC police.

We are perennially outraged here :D

bornadog
29-03-2018, 05:36 PM
Come on hujush you should know everything you don’t like is P.C gone mad :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQgthIs7pM

The Underdog
30-03-2018, 01:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQgthIs7pM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wt8Dxpb3b6E

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-04-2018, 09:57 PM
PG's statement about things being fine inside the club, conjures up this image for me right now.906

Rocket Science
02-04-2018, 11:33 AM
PG's statement about things being fine inside the club, conjures up this image for me right now.906

Yehhhp. Time to dust this bad boy off again.

http://i66.tinypic.com/6xybh1.png

Rocket Science
02-04-2018, 11:44 AM
What was I thinking?

Updated.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2vltzf5.jpg

Twodogs
02-04-2018, 11:56 AM
What was I thinking?

Updated.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2vltzf5.jpg

Heh! It was obviously one if those haters who set that fire so we don't have to worry about it folks.