PDA

View Full Version : The line-up that will fix the bulldogs

Bulldog4life
27-03-2018, 11:40 AM
In the wake of the Western Bulldogs’ disappointing 82-point thumping to the GWS Giants on Sunday, ex-Dogs coach Terry Wallace has named the side he would select this week.

Wallace told SEN’s KB and The Doc that he would make six changes to the Dogs team for their match against West Coast this Sunday.

Wallace has also named All-Australian defender Easton Wood in his traditional position in defensive 50, ending his largely unsuccessful trial down forward.

Plough’s full team:
FB: Fletcher Roberts, Easton Wood, Shane Biggs

HB: Matt Suckling, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johannisen

C: Toby McLean, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter

HF: Caleb Daniel, Jack Redpath, Luke Dahlhaus

FF: Josh Dunkley, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson

F: Jordan Roughead, Jack Macrae, Mitch Wallis

INT: Lin Jong, Jackson Trengove, Mitch Honeychurch, Bailey Dale

In: Caleb Daniel, Mitch Wallis, Lin Jong, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson, Jack Redpath

Out: Billy Gowers, Tim English, Hayden Crozier, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Williams, Tom Liberatore

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/26/the-line-up-that-will-fix-the-bulldogs/

S Coast Simon
27-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Like this team. My change would be Naughton for Roberts. And probably keep Gowers instead if Dickson as he is under done I think. We need Gowers hitting defenders as he did on the weekend. And would be tough between Boyd and Shache who was at CHF with Redpath streaming out of the square. With the god help anyone that gets in their way attitude.

Mofra
27-03-2018, 11:59 AM
I heard that on SEN yesterday and was mystified why he was dropping English who I thought was our best performed tall from round 1.

Twodogs
27-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Did Plough see the game? I'd suggest not because he is dropping some of our best performers from Sunday.

Mantis
27-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Did Plough see the game? I'd suggest not because he is dropping some of our best performers from Sunday.

He did special comments for AFL Nation at our game.

And our standards most be low if Gowers & English were good performers.

Ozza
27-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Plough's team is 6-8 goals better than Sunday's team.

I understand posters sticking up for English and Gowers - but they were 'good performers' in the context of being 3rd and 1st gamers. On the balance of probabilities - their replacements will fare better against the Eagles this week.

Greystache
27-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Looks a much better side than what took the field on the weekend. There's still a few gaps, but injuries are playing a part in that.

The next challenge is getting them to stay largely in their preferred role, some sort of strategy for how we move the ball, installing cruel and unusual punishments for any player who blindly bombs the ball to the advantage of defenders inside our forward 50m, and re-discovering some intent to attack the ball and apply defensive pressure.

Selection was only part of the reason why a belting was a foregone conclusion on the weekend.

Mofra
27-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Well he's got Trengove in ahead of him

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6345&pid2=3128&fid1=S&fid2=S

English performed far better - 13 touches to 4, 6 marks to zero, 6 1%ers to two, 4 score involvements to 1.
Trengove managed 14 hitouts to English's 12.

Twodogs
27-03-2018, 12:56 PM
He did special comments for AFL Nation at our game.

Mate...

Our standards are shocking at the moment, but I see what you mean. If a first and third gamer can look like Hayden Bunton and John Nicholls compared to 100+ gamers/premiership players then we are in a deep hole.

S Coast Simon
27-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Our whole team looked cooked mid way through the first quarter. They looked so much fitter and were just running us around like A grade traing against the C grade side. Either we are not fit enough or our players have had some hard training sessions in the lead up to the first round. I have heard of this before. Sort of sacrificing the start of the season to be fitter at the end. Hope it’s the latter and we are just that far behind. We took a very tall team to a big ground that was 80% chance of rain. One of our best handlers in the wet was left out and the other went down in the first quarter. Tough game. The boys are way better that what we displayed

bornadog
27-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Does Plough know who is and who isn't available to play as far as form and fitness is concerned?

Wood at Fullback? Cordy CHB and The Bont CHF - give me a break.

Mantis
27-03-2018, 02:22 PM
Does Plough know who is and who isn't available to play as far as form and fitness is concerned?

Cordy was pretty much hopeless in a defensive role in the first half, but he wasn't a lone wolf.. Really have to question the personnel (both on & off field) and the defensive structures in place.. It was like watching a bunch of school kids trying to defend for much of the game, not the tight defensive unit who were well drilled, knew their roles and worked for each other in 2016.

bornadog
27-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Cordy was pretty much hopeless in a defensive role in the first half, but he wasn't a lone wolf.. Really have to question the personnel (both on & off field) and the defensive structures in place.. It was like watching a bunch of school kids trying to defend for much of the game, not the tight defensive unit who were well drilled, knew their roles and worked for each other in 2016.

I agree, just questioning Plough. I would have Trengove at FB, or CHB, Wood HBF. I personally don't like Cordy in the backline. Maybe he swaps with Wood and goes forward.

How was Fletcher Roberts, as he seemed okish but hard to tell unless you are there. Is he worth persisting with?

Happy Days
27-03-2018, 02:52 PM

Cordy repeatedly got sucked into contests as an extra jumper that we already had covered, and it directly resulted in at least two goals to players at the back of contests that were left unmanned within 20m of goal. It's good that he's willing to commit his body and try to split packs, but he needs to pick his spots better and play a lot smarter.

mjp
27-03-2018, 02:57 PM
You can move the deck-chairs all over titanic...the ship is still going down.

Attitude before structure please.

GVGjr
27-03-2018, 07:24 PM

He has Bont in the middle and if you slide Roberts over to full back Wood will be OK. I suspect in Ploughs assessment Trengove will play in the back line.

Go_Dogs
27-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Quite like the balance of that team, however agree the selection was only a small part of our performance on Sunday.

bornadog
27-03-2018, 11:20 PM
He has Bont in the middle and if you slide Roberts over to full back Wood will be OK. I suspect in Ploughs assessment Trengove will play in the back line.

He tweeted to me and said SEN got it wrong when they published the team. He had Wood in the back pocket.

Eastdog
28-03-2018, 12:06 AM
Great to see JJ in the half back line. We all are really missing that run off half back.