PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 4, 2018 vs Sydney Swans

Eastdog
29-03-2018, 09:34 PM
This is the round 4, 2018 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Sydney Swans is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Bump

EasternWest
14-04-2018, 08:14 PM
B

Tim English is a gem. He's like everything Ayce Cordy was meant to be but wasn't.

I'm a big wrap for Naughton. Made a few blues but made them trying to make something happen.

Thought our skipper had a great game. Unlucky a few times, and outpointed a few others.

A

Dunks. I love you mate, but that rubber chester killed us.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I never want to see Suckling in our colours again. That weak tackling effort on the corner of the square was diabolical. Even worse you could see it coming a mile away.

I was pretty disappointed in Honeychurch not making the distance running in from inside 50.

RoZDog
14-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Bankers-
• the Bonts kick to Dunkley was phenomenal...
• Wallis is really important for our clearance setup, really relible in the sqaure.
• Macrae and McLean are warriors.
Anchor-
• JJ started superbly but really faded out of the game (assumed he received a hard tag)
• Dunks cashing in a certainty a little prematurely
• some sloppy play to finish the 3rd from some senior players

westbulldog
14-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Bankers
English, Naughton Richards
Dunkley , for effort
Macrae, should be leading the B&F and maybe the Brownlow at this stage.

Anchors
Dunkley , for woeful goalkicking and dropping the mark that would have won the game.
Goalkicking, woofers have been on this for 3 years, is anyone at the club listening ????
Gowers, for woeful decision making leading to a crucial turnover.

AndrewP6
14-04-2018, 09:05 PM
B-
Bont to Dunkley. A thing of beauty - ruined only by Dunkley's inability to catch it.
Naughton - good pickup
English - love his work.

A

Dahlhaus - yes he kicked another beauty, but when you can't score from 30m directly in front, it's a problem. Love his endeavour, but endeavour isn't enough.
Dunkley - blew it. Blew. It.
Suckling - I like him, but we needed that tackle in the last.

Dishonourable mention to most of Australia's media. The Buddy hysteria is just ridiculous. He was largely ineffective for a large part, and ended with an inaccurate 3.4, but according to AFL.com.au, he was "dominant". Just stop.

Ghost Dog
14-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Bankers
The coach for rallying these boys and clearly they are improved.
All players under 10 games who are taking on hardened players. Excellent effort.
Backline for doing a great job.

Anchors
Goal Kicking X 3

Remi Moses
14-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Bankers - Macrae , an underrated star
- English , going to be a star
- effort and intensity
Anchors- Dunkley 0 4 , not good enough
- goalkicking is just inexcusable
- Our turnovers , just killed us

Remi Moses
14-04-2018, 09:22 PM
The umpires joined the buddy lovefest as well .The mark he tried to claim then held the ball for a month , was holding it all day long .
Then Naughton got nailed . Poor officiating, inconsistent.

bornadog
14-04-2018, 09:30 PM
The umpires joined the buddy lovefest as well .The mark he tried to claim then held the ball for a month , was holding it all day long .
Then Naughton got nailed . Poor officiating, inconsistent.

Buddy had prior opportunity and we should have had the free, then naughton gets pinged and goal. They received 3 dubious frees in front of goal. Umpires had a mare in the first half of the game.

Ozza
14-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Just a couple of notes before I think about my B’s and A’s....

Just with regard to Dunkley, yep - had that one spent before he had it. Big mistake, and he’ll learn from it.
On the goal kicking - 3 of his 4 shots were from hard on the boundary - so that’s a big part in the reason for the 0.4. More constructive criticism of Dunks, is that his leading patterns have him so often end up marking hard on the boundary - that’s where he needs help from the coaches. What is really encouraging is that you can see that his team mates trust him. They ALWAYS go to him when he is one out - and he rarely lets them down in the air. There is elements to tidy up in his game for sure, but he only recently turned 21 and there is a hell of a lot that he does beyond his years.

On Suckling. Disappointing missed tackle. But he’s been undoubtedly in our best handful of players this year.

Eastdog
15-04-2018, 12:34 AM
Bankers:

1.) Tim English - worked hard again today and looks to be a great future prospect for sure

2.) Bont - back to what we all know he can do and got some important goals

3.) Our overall pressure again excellent to see - dissapointed we lost today but great that this is back - will hold us in good stead if we keep doing that.

Anchors:

1.) Our inaccuracy at goal

2.) Holding the ball on Buddy that wasn't paid - was out of my seat

3.) Dunks dropped mark right up forward that could have been huge if he got that goal

soupman
15-04-2018, 01:26 AM
Bankers
Mongrel: We have some attitude again. They came at us and came right back at them.
English, Naughton: English is our reward for putting up with Minsons drawbacks. He is everything Will wasn't, poised, skillful, mobile, a good mark. So impressed. And Naughton, he makes the occasional error, but is already very good. Brave, good in the air and even has a sidestep thing going on. Amazing find. Also wanted to mention again a good performance from a growing players like Williams, nice to see the coaches faith being repaid.
Footy is fun: After the first two rounds I had serious concerns about whether I could put up with another 2017. These last two rounds have been exciting, intense and enjoyable. I am so glad.

Anchors
Dunkley: Does so much so well, but doesn't finish his work. Set shot goalkicking was unconvincing at best, and that dropped mark was so bad. Amazing kick by Bont, and Dunkley could have dropped the mark in any direction instead of behind him and he would of been fine.
Biggs: What has happened to him? Panicky, made poor decisions and turned the ball over, and I have no recollection of him having any impact defensively.
Goalkicking: Obvious one but it continues to cost us games.

ratsmac
15-04-2018, 01:59 AM
B

Tim English is a gem. He's like everything Ayce Cordy was meant to be but wasn't.

I'm a big wrap for Naughton. Made a few blues but made them trying to make something happen.

Thought our skipper had a great game. Unlucky a few times, and outpointed a few others.

A

Dunks. I love you mate, but that rubber chester killed us.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I never want to see Suckling in our colours again. That weak tackling effort on the corner of the square was diabolical. Even worse you could see it coming a mile away.

I was pretty disappointed in Honeychurch not making the distance running in from inside 50.

B-
Bont to Dunkley. A thing of beauty - ruined only by Dunkley's inability to catch it.
Naughton - good pickup
English - love his work.

A

Dahlhaus - yes he kicked another beauty, but when you can't score from 30m directly in front, it's a problem. Love his endeavour, but endeavour isn't enough.
Dunkley - blew it. Blew. It.
Suckling - I like him, but we needed that tackle in the last.

Dishonourable mention to most of Australia's media. The Buddy hysteria is just ridiculous. He was largely ineffective for a large part, and ended with an inaccurate 3.4, but according to AFL.com.au, he was "dominant". Just stop.
I thought Suckling was one of our best today apart from his goal kicking. He was setting up a lot of our play. However his defensive side of his game has always been his downfall. I didn't see his non tackle that you guys are referring to and in any case is inexcusable.

ratsmac
15-04-2018, 02:11 AM
BANKERS

1. The Bont's skills. If only he could divi up just 10% of his foot skills amongst the rest of the group.
2. English. He is growing in confidence from week to week.
3. The bulldog fight. We are hard to beat when we bring it.

Anchors

1. Goal kicking. Deplorable
2. Dunkley's dropped mark.
3. Hunter's first three quarters. He was good in the last though.

AndrewP6
15-04-2018, 02:32 AM
I thought Suckling was one of our best today apart from his goal kicking. He was setting up a lot of our play. However his defensive side of his game has always been his downfall. I didn't see his non tackle that you guys are referring to and in any case is inexcusable.

I’m a fan, but he really needed to stick it. Right on the corner of the centre square, they goaled shortly after it.

merantau
15-04-2018, 07:13 AM
Bankers: Our young players are getting the job done. I'm optimistic that we will be a force for a decade.
2. To bounce back after a disastrous start shows mental toughness and good coaching.
3. Our ball movement is much better into the forward 50.

Anchors
1. I never thought I would say this but the Bont is not doing enough.
2. Dahl OOB from 30m - there are no words...!!!
3. Franklin. A protected species. Why is he given so much more time with the ball than any other player. Oh, I know why? He's tall and can't employ the Sellwood shoulder shrug so has to be compensated.

And while I'm at it, the Bont had clearly taken a mark so why was Franklin allowed to punch the ball out of his hands? Jack Hill the blind miner could see that. FMD!
Free kick to Parker - goal. Free against Naughton, who's CHANGE IN BODY MOVEMENT BY A SHAKE OF THE HIPS was adjudged PRIOR OPPORTUNITY - goal! Those sort of decisions are never made against name players but if you are a new boy on the block - watch out - you're fair game.

Mofra
15-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Bankers:
1. Macrae's sidestep is back. By god he's been good this year
2. We beat the Swans in general play
3. The Fremantle recruiting staff who were tipped to take English at pick 8 but passed on him. Where shall I send the thank you bouquet?

Anchors:
1. Footskills. I like your endeavour HC & Jong but we will be a better side when you are replaced.
2. Richards will be a gun player for us in time, but he clearly needs more time before he's a week in, week out proposition
3. We were 18th for goal accuracy last year and we've still managed to go backwards.

azabob
15-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Bankers:

1. Team defence effort (very special mention to Easton Wood) on Lance Franklin. Prior to the game it could have been very ugly.

2. Our comeback in the 3rd quarter. Swans dominated play for the last 10 mins of the 2nd and first 10 mins of the 3rd quarter. We could have turned our toes up and let Sydney run away with it. But we didn't.

3. Tory Dickson's goal in the first quarter.

Anchors:

1. Jason Johannisen: At the start of the last quarter on the members wing / half back line he had an opportunity to gather the ball and stream forward, however he hesitated and appeared to wait for the players coming in the opposite direction. JJ take the ball, take the hit and run.

2. Missed opportunities due to poor execution

3. Not shutting down the quarter when there is two minutes or less left. In all four quarters the Swans had set shots either just prior to the siren sounding or after the siren.

LostDoggy
15-04-2018, 03:42 PM
B

English covers the ground and has some serious toe. So important

Dickson's goal. Such skill.

Bonts kick to Dunkley. Just super.

A.

Richards found it hard in the heat of battle. Cost us a couple of goals with rookie errors. But love his endeavour.

Missed opportunities in the last 5 minutes.

The run from behind and to provide options seemed to drop off in the 2nd half.

Diabolical turnovers

Happy Days
15-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Banksmen

Naughton backing himself at all opportunities to sit in front of players and intercept - equal parts courage and skill. Easily his best game, horrific turnover notwithstanding.

Bontempelli is just awe-inspiring. That kick to Dunkley is probably the best kick I've ever seen, if not just behind Suckling's set shot from the 4th row in Ballarat last year.

Biggs' haircut. Rubbish game but at least he looked tough doing it.

Anchsmen

Gowers never again EVER never EVER EVER NEVER AGAIN. Have you ever been surer of a horrific turnover than when he had the ball on the back flank, only to see him deliver in spades? Sometimes I hate it when I'm right. Good on him for actually working past the halfway line for once though.

Honeychuch and Hunter's petty "aggression" - Hunter's was worse and more dog, especially from a "leader", but at least he's good. Honeychurch - if you're going to offer the team absolutely nothing then at least be disciplined.

Set shot goal kicking, which is still fine and not a problem. If I didn't know better I would accuse Dunkley of pragmatically dropping that Bont pass to save us all from having to watch him miss yet again.

GVGjr
15-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Bankers:
1) Wallis and his patient well weighted kicks into the forward 50 in the first quarter
2) Macrae, just getting better
3) Dickson's first quarter goal, from out of nowhere

Anchors
1) Dunkley and Dahlhaus for their miserable goal kicking exploits.
2) Redpath for a poor effort throughout the game and a poorly weighted pass on the wing.
3) Suckling and Dale. Suckling you have the kicking skills to have nailed that set shot, instead you tried to perform a cross body kick in a showboat effort. Dale for not having the poise to get a vital last quarter goal. Clueless effort.

bornadog
15-04-2018, 04:46 PM
Anchors
1) Dunkley and Dahlhaus for their miserable goal kicking exploits.
2) Redpath for a poor effort throughout the game and a poorly weighted pass on the wing.
3) Suckling and Dale. Suckling you have the kicking skills to have nailed that set shot, instead you tried to perform a cross body kick in a showboat effort. Dale for not having the poise to get a vital last quarter goal. Clueless effort.

You can add HC running into an open forward line and kicking it straight to the opposition, not even a point. Dunkley forgetting to take the mark and wanting to run into an open goal, Daniel trying to make the distant in the dying minutes and coming up short with a point the difference.

MrMahatma
16-04-2018, 07:15 AM
You can add HC running into an open forward line and kicking it straight to the opposition, not even a point. Dunkley forgetting to take the mark and wanting to run into an open goal, Daniel trying to make the distant in the dying minutes and coming up short with a point the difference.

This thread is hard to read. Far out we stuffed our chance of getting our season really going.