PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 5, 2018 vs Fremantle

Eastdog
29-03-2018, 09:37 PM
This is the round 5, 2018 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Fremantle is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
21-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Bump

westbulldog
22-04-2018, 12:04 AM
Bankers
Tom Boyd's return.
I still like the future of English, Naughton and Richards.
JJ persistent effort for 4 quarters.

Anchors
Short kicking on a wet night, what halfwit gave that instruction ?
Webb, can't see an AFL future for him.
The bogans over here are crowing.

bornadog
22-04-2018, 12:12 AM
Bankers

1. Tom Boyd's first goal from outside 50
2. Mclean's goal in the last
3. Jong getting his hands on the ball and racking up some disposals - starting to get his confidence back

Anchors

1. Third quarter capitulation, similar to 2nd against WC - just had no answers
2. Turnovers
3. Sick of getting smacked when we go to WA (Except of course Final in 2016). Don't know why we can't handle the trip there.

AndrewP6
22-04-2018, 12:16 AM
B

Great to see Tommy back and having an impact.
JJ for his effort.
Naughton - makes his errors, but will be important for us.

A
Our still-woeful skill level. Sure it got wet, but it was wet for Freo too.
Webb/Honeychurch. Can't see what they offer the team.
Lack of intensity/effort/application. I don't know what the answer is, the team don't seem to know either.

Eastdog
22-04-2018, 12:36 AM
Bankers:

1.) Boyd - Good to see him back and get some goals

2.) Gowers tried hard and kicked a couple

3.) Wallis goal - 1 last week that was tough and tonight again.

Anchors:

1.) Going to sleep in the 3rd quarter

2.) Our skill level needs addressing quick smart

3.) Losing to another bogey team again

ratsmac
22-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Bankers

1. Tom Boyd's return . Great to see him back.

2. Tim English. Got smashed in the tap outs but kept presenting and constantly kept moving and being a marking option.

3. Kicking more goals than behinds. I have been saying all year that when we kicked more goals than behinds we will win.... I was way off. But still a banker!

Anchors

1. Simple simple skill errors. Seeing AFL players miss targets 15 metres away by 15 metres is just embarrassing.

2. Dumb football. One up one down is normally a good ratio in a pack marking situation but not for us. At one point in the last qtr I saw three Bulldogs go up and compete for the ball with no Freo players. We spoiled each other. No communication. Another one, the ball is going to hit Boyd on the chest and Wallis tries to take a 50/50 overhead mark in the wet and guess what? He drops it. Another, Dahl kicks the ball to 3 Freo players on their own. I could go on all day.

3. 3rd qtr. In ability to stop the bleeding. This is expected from a young inexperienced team I suppose. I would have like to see Freo at least have to work hard for their goals.

Bulldog4life
22-04-2018, 10:34 AM
B

Great to see Tommy back and having an impact.
JJ for his effort.
Naughton - makes his errors, but will be important for us.

A
Our still-woeful skill level. Sure it got wet, but it was wet for Freo too.
Webb/Honeychurch. Can't see what they offer the team.
Lack of intensity/effort/application. I don't know what the answer is, the team don't seem to know either.

Bit harsh on Honey.He had 20 kicks 9 marks and 7 tackles. Probably his best game for us.

AndrewP6
22-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Bit harsh on Honey.He had 20 kicks 9 marks and 7 tackles. Probably his best game for us.

I guess the 5 clangers distracted me.

Bullies
22-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Bit harsh on Honey.He had 20 kicks 9 marks and 7 tackles. Probably his best game for us. that proves stats are irrelevant

Twodogs
22-04-2018, 04:33 PM
that proves stats are irrelevant

I don't know about irrelevant but stats certainly don't tell the whole story.

If guys like Honeychurch are in our best then it would be a fair guess to say that we have been thrashed. It means that we have spent most of the game chasing our opponents and our creative players haven't got their hands on the ball enough. With enough class around him Honeychurch has a role to perform and could be a valuable contributer in a good team. But we are far from a good team at the moment and Honeychurch's lack of polish really shows up.

EasternWest
24-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Bankers

2. Tim English. Got smashed in the tap outs but kept presenting and constantly kept moving and being a marking option.

He's a good egg. Looking better and better value the more I see of him.

Ozza
24-04-2018, 11:34 AM
I'm liking the fact that English is getting his hands on the footy (last 3 weeks 17, 16, 19 possessions). The vast majority of young ruckman really don't get their hands on the footy at all really.

Comparing him to some of the best in the comp -
Kreuzer over his career averages just over 12 possessions a game.
Brodie Grundy's numbers are through the roof the last 2-3 years - but his first two seasons he averaged between 10-12 possessions.
NicNat has never been a ball winner and impacts in different ways - but he is at 12 disposal ave. throughout his career.
Gawn - also 12 per game, and took a long time to establish himself (is 26 but has only played 78 games).
Goldstein - also 12 per game.
Jacobs - 13.7 per game.
(Roughead and Campbell are 10.5/9.5 respectively).

With English's height, his hit out numbers and impact at the ruck contests is sure to grow significantly - but the ability to find the football and be a contributor around the ground is really encouraging - particularly if you consider that those 3 recent games I highlighted are games 5,6 & 7 for his career.

Twodogs
24-04-2018, 02:05 PM
What are their goalkicking numbers like Ozza? I reckon that Tom will kick a few goals especially late in games when defenders arms are getting sore and tired but Timmy isn't getting any shorter. Ruckmen who can kick goals are worth their weight in cockie poop.