PDA

View Full Version : AFL Round 5, 2018 Discussion

Eastdog
29-03-2018, 09:43 PM
ROUND 5, 2018

Friday April 20

Sydney Swans v Adelaide, SCG (7.50pm)

Saturday April 21

St Kilda v GWS Giants, Etihad Stadium (1.45pm)

Carlton v West Coast Eagles, MCG (4.35pm)

Port Adelaide v Geelong, Adelaide Oval (7.40pm)

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs, Perth Stadium (8.10pm)

Sunday April 22

North Melbourne v Hawthorn, Etihad Stadium (3.20pm)

Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns, Gabba (4.40pm)

Tuesday April 24

Melbourne v Richmond, MCG (7.25pm)

Wednesday April 25

Collingwood v Essendon, MCG (3.20pm)

Twodogs
20-04-2018, 09:29 PM
Bump. Geez, Tex Walker is a bit of a third isn't he?

jeemak
20-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Have Sydney, their supporters, and the media cheerleaders become the biggest whingers about umpiring in the game?

Sydney wait for the opposition to get the ball and smash them, quite often with poor technique, and they defend with every "trick" in the book with their effective but in some cases physically limited defenders.

The likes of Parker and Hannebury are probably on par with Joel Selwood in terms of entitlement......I'm getting a bit sick of a club I used to admire.

1eyedog
21-04-2018, 10:06 AM
I hate Luke Parker's goal celebrations I'm pretty sure he shits fragranced ice cream.

ratsmac
21-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Gee it was nice of Sydney to wait until this week to miss goals. They kicked 10.15 last night. Last week they couldn't miss at one point.

Rocket Science
21-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Precisely what I was thinking too as Heeney suddenly developed the yips.

Against us they'd have been sailing over the goal ump's scone.

bornadog
21-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Saints taking it up to GWS again.

Flamethrower
21-04-2018, 04:46 PM
This game is challenging the infamous St Kilda v Sydney 8.8.56 draw borefest in 2002 for worst game ever.

bornadog
21-04-2018, 05:49 PM
I was hoping the Saints won, but a draw is even better.

ratsmac
21-04-2018, 06:04 PM
I couldn't have asked for a better result for two of my most hated teams. If only the diver was still playing, that would of topped it off.

bornadog
21-04-2018, 06:11 PM
I couldn't have asked for a better result for two of my most hated teams. If only the diver was still playing, that would of topped it off.

The new Diver was playing, Phil Divies

westdog54
21-04-2018, 06:30 PM
This game is challenging the infamous St Kilda v Sydney 8.8.56 draw borefest in 2002 for worst game ever.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/151620020427.html

I remember this one for Stephen Quartermain, who was calling for Channel 10, examining "Go to a commercial!" when Sydney finally kicked a goal deep into what had until then been a goalless second quarter.

Twodogs
21-04-2018, 06:33 PM

Funny that you mention a drawn game.

ratsmac
21-04-2018, 06:43 PM
The new Diver was playing, Phil Divies

True!

Suffer in your jocks Davis!!

Remi Moses
21-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Wonderful result for the crows , sorry a bit late to the party .
Swans midfield got creamed by a team missing its best grunt players .
Sydney’s midfield looks old and battered

Remi Moses
21-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Blimey , Carlisle must be back on the gear to miss that mark

GVGjr
21-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Carlton doing well against West Coast

Sedat
21-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Port still pretenders as expected. Also Danger still a protected species as expected.

Twodogs
22-04-2018, 12:00 AM
Port still pretenders as expected. Also Danger still a protected species as expected.

It's sickening that look of entitlement on Dangerfield's face when the umpire has to make a 50/50 decision-even a 25/75 decision. He just stands there waiting for the ball to be handed to him.

macca
22-04-2018, 02:11 AM
Danger brings down a port player and one of the Port team mates remonstrates, free kick to Danger. protected - yes.

bornadog
22-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Everytime I watch Ben Brown I think of The Doctors words saying we should draft him. 4 goals so far before half time.

bornadog
22-04-2018, 05:42 PM
Another dog act by a North player. Player shoved into the fence on purpose.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbXblpbVwAE2CJL.jpg

bornadog
22-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Higgins knocked out, surely Burton gone for going the bump

Rocket Science
22-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Everytime I watch Ben Brown I think of The Doctors words saying we should draft him. 4 goals so far before half time.

Can't like this enough.

Greystache
23-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Can't like this enough.

Except we would've played him in the ruck, then tried to turn him into a defender, and then when he didn't dominate from his first game chucked him on the scrap heap and lamented our inability to find a key forward. I genuinely don't believe Brown would've made it at AFL level if we recruited him.

Mofra
23-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Except we would've played him in the ruck, then tried to turn him into a defender, and then when he didn't dominate from his first game chucked him on the scrap heap and lamented our inability to find a key forward. I genuinely don't believe Brown would've made it at AFL level if we recruited him.
Interesting to hear Brad Scott during the week lauding Drew Petrie for 'protecting' Brown as he found his feet at AFL level.
With Petrie and Waite there were times Brown had the luxury of playing on the third best defender as he developed, a luxury he never would have gotten with us.

jeemak
23-04-2018, 02:02 PM
I hate Luke Parker's goal celebrations I'm pretty sure he shits fragranced ice cream.

The only thing Luke Parker likes more than celebrating a goal is Luke Parker.

G-Mo77
24-04-2018, 09:36 PM
How good do Richmond look. Pressure and tackling immense. Dees are worried about even grabbing the ball. Kind of jealous, we banged on about sustained success off field and became a laughing stock. Tiges look like they will actually be very strong over a long period.

jeemak
24-04-2018, 11:49 PM
How good do Richmond look. Pressure and tackling immense. Dees are worried about even grabbing the ball. Kind of jealous, we banged on about sustained success off field and became a laughing stock. Tiges look like they will actually be very strong over a long period.

It’s round five and they’re going well, however, they’re two critical injuries away from turning to ordinary. Lose two of their big four before round ten and it can change quickly. For all of their foot soldier valour, their game is entirely underpinned by their stars all being on the park.

Credit where it’s due however, they’re backing up well.

Ozza
25-04-2018, 12:08 AM
Pretty stirring/exciting stuff during the third quarter when Melbourne were challenging and got within 6 points and Richmond just relished the contest and found another gear. The three minutes of hot potato footy that ended up with Riewoldt’s goal was very exciting.

The last quarter was a powerful display.

bornadog
25-04-2018, 12:13 AM
Pretty stirring/exciting stuff during the third quarter when Melbourne were challenging and got within 6 points and Richmond just relished the contest and found another gear. The three minutes of hot potato footy that ended up with Riewoldt’s goal was very exciting.

The last quarter was a powerful display.

Have Richmond played 5 straight at the G, I need to check that. They know how to play the ground.

Edit: They have played 4 for 4 wins and lost at Adelaide Oval

ratsmac
25-04-2018, 12:54 AM
Have Richmond played 5 straight at the G, I need to check that. They know how to play the ground.

Edit: They have played 4 for 4 wins and lost at Adelaide Oval

Also they have only played 1 team that made the finals last year so far, Adelaide and lost. Blessed with bugger all injuries as well.

In saying that they are a very good team at the minute. Loving Jack "snags" Higgins. Smart player.

The Underdog
25-04-2018, 10:21 PM
The AFL site lists Darcy Parish with an 86% disposal efficiency today. Apparently if your disposal lands on the MCG that counts because I’m pretty sure all of his disposals hit turf before anything else.

Twodogs
25-04-2018, 10:25 PM
The AFL site lists Darcy Parish with an 86% disposal efficiency today. Apparently if your disposal lands on the MCG that counts because I’m pretty sure all of his disposals hit turf before anything else.

One hand off the ground still counts as out!

I think you're right so long as it bounced off the ground and hit another player then it was an efficient disposal.

Mofra
26-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Stats were useless in the Anzac day game - Essendon had so many "effective" sideways kicks it padded their numbers, and they somehow managed an equal tackle count despite Collingwood's pressure and defensive set up being vastly superior all day.

I did enjoy seeing them lose though. Well done on "winning trade period" though, I'm sure we'll just have to be content with our two first round picks last draft.

Twodogs
26-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Stats were useless in the Anzac day game - Essendon had so many "effective" sideways kicks it padded their numbers, and they somehow managed an equal tackle count despite Collingwood's pressure and defensive set up being vastly superior all day.

I did enjoy seeing them lose though. Well done on "winning trade period" though, I'm sure we'll just have to be content with our two first round picks last draft.

They won trade period but we won Naughton and Richards.

Serious about Essendon having the same amount of tackles? I'm surprised. Apart from anything else a lot of the Essendon players have really lazy tackling techniques and they give away a lot of free kicks. A lot of the tackles I saw them lay they gave a free kicks away.

jeemak
26-04-2018, 03:13 PM
I'm loving that Goddard is getting a kicking today.

Happened to be taking clients to the game yesterday, one of whom is an EFC supporter. Was well satisfied watching Jake miss a sitter from 20m out directly in front.

Remi Moses
26-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Malthouse was scathing of Stringer along the lines of needing the proverbial rocket inserted .
Mate described their forward half as like the lollipop lady letting everyone through .

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2018, 05:43 PM
Some of Essendon's kids are average - Parish is a bit of a media darling but he's more vanilla than essence.

soupman
26-04-2018, 06:03 PM
Some of Essendon's kids are average - Parish is a bit of a media darling but he's more vanilla than essence.

I was saying almost the same thing. Parish is tidy and a good ordinary player, but lacks hurt factor and is the least intimidating player in the league. Poor Essendon, to think they spent picks 5 and 6 on Parish and Aaron Francis.

Twodogs
26-04-2018, 07:06 PM
And doesn't Parish telegraph everthing he is about to do and spend forever actually doing it? I think that's why he is a media darling, commentaters think he has time and space because he makes his target wait because he takes forever to get rid of it and they can see what he is trying to do.

The Underdog
26-04-2018, 07:47 PM

Any of his possessions which go more than 10m forward miss the target 9 times out of 10

LostDoggy
27-04-2018, 09:11 AM
That draft was such a big deal for Essendon after their bans. They had 4 top 30 picks and went Parish and Francis as Top 10ers and then Morgan and Redman in the 20s. Hilarious.

bornadog
27-04-2018, 10:01 AM
That draft was such a big deal for Essendon after their bans. They had 4 top 30 picks and went Parish and Francis as Top 10ers and then Morgan and Redman in the 20s. Hilarious.

They were lucky to be in the competition.

Twodogs
27-04-2018, 10:06 AM
They were lucky to be in the competition.

They shouldn't have had any picks in the 2016 draft. It was a farce they kept their number 1 pick.