PDA

View Full Version : Plough on bevo’s great challenge

Bulldog4life
06-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Former Western Bulldogs and Richmond coach Terry Wallace says Luke Beveridge is facing his greatest moment of adversity as an AFL coach, following the Dogs terrible start to 2018.

After two heavy defeats the club sits bottom of the ladder, and the SEN footy analyst is keen to see how he handles things not all going his own way, after an incredible successful coaching journey so far.

Beveridge has had the magic touch, leading St Bedes to three straight VAFA Premierships, before becoming an assistant coach in flag winning sides at Hawthorn and Collingwood, then turning the Bulldogs around within two years to win their first premiership in 62 years.

“No fault of his own – it’s actually more credit to Luke about how good he’s been along his journey,” Wallace said on SEN Afternoons.

“This must be a learning on the job experience for him. He’s only a young coach from an AFL senior point of view.

“It’s all been success based for him, and he deserves all the credit for making the right decisions along his pathway as a coach, but this is a different challenge. It’s a completely different challenge he’s now got.

“It will be fascinating to sit on the fence and watch how he handles it.”

Wallace was a three-time premiership player at Hawthorn, and led the Bulldogs to the finals with regularity during his time in charge at Whitten Oval, and he opened up on dealing with struggles at the Tigers.

“When I was at the Bulldogs we had relative success. We never won a flag, but we had relative success,” he said.

“I had to learn a whole lot of dealings when I got to Richmond about what this looks like when it’s not going anywhere near where you expected it to go, and how you handle it yourself, and then how you handle others.

“As someone who believes they’re a winner- do you get upset? Do you get angry? How are you dealing with it? How is it being pushed onto others?”

He admitted he could have handled situations better when things were not going to plan.

“I will be the first to put my hand up – I didn’t handle it very well,” Wallace said.

“Yeah, (I got angry) far too much, and particularly for the new generation.

“If you think about when that was, it was exactly when a generation was changing.

“I had been out for a couple of years as well. Dealing with a generational change, plus dealing with a first time failure – I didn’t handle it very well.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/04/05/plough-on-bevo's-great-challenge/

bornadog
06-04-2018, 11:22 AM
As usual, Wallace turns it around to talk about himself. He takes great delight in seeing someone else struggle at a club he used to coach. I liked Wallace as a coach but slowly over the past few years he is getting on my nerves.

SlimPickens
06-04-2018, 11:43 AM
How can Terry draw from anyone else's experience but his own? This is a nothing article but it's true, Bevo is being tested and how he responds will be very interesting.

Sedat
06-04-2018, 01:01 PM
How can Terry draw from anyone else's experience but his own? This is a nothing article but it's true, Bevo is being tested and how he responds will be very interesting.
It's 5 losses in a row since we were 11-8 last season and looking good things to make finals in 2017. Losing is as habitual as winning - I doubt Bevo had ever had to contend with a 5 match losing streak throughout his coaching career, and how he responds will be fascinating.

Eastdog
06-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Big challenge now for Luke. 2015 and 2016 were great years ending in a premiership at the end of 2016. 2017 was Luke's first challenging year and so far 2018 has been challenging.

I'm hopeful Luke will be able to get us out of the hole we are in.

Cyberdoggie
06-04-2018, 04:03 PM
I listened to Terry the other day on SEN talk about how bad we are going and the players we have out, in particular the lack of experienced players and the ones not in the side, ie Boyd, Wallis, Dickson etc.

Seriously it was like he turned into Damian Barrett, just started speculating instead of knowing the facts. "why aren't they playing these guys, must be more to it, must be out of favour with the coach, Bevo must of decided these players aren't in their future plans, These guys are killing it in the two's and can't get selected!" etc etc.
Don't let the facts get in the way there Terry.

If he had done his research he would of found at that these guys haven't actually been playing great footy or have been coming of injuries and limited preparations. Yes Wallis and Dickson played better in the last game which is why they are likely going to be selected this week, but prior to that they haven't been doing so well.

If you are going to sink the boots in Wallett, then get your facts right first. You are supposed to be the expert comments person,not the nuff nuff journalist/reporter.

Remi Moses
06-04-2018, 04:27 PM
It's 5 losses in a row since we were 11-8 last season and looking good things to make finals in 2017. Losing is as habitual as winning - I doubt Bevo had ever had to contend with a 5 match losing streak throughout his coaching career, and how he responds will be fascinating.

Tend to agree . Got nothing wrong with Wallace’s opinion on this . Will be fascinating how Bevo handles it

bornadog
06-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Tend to agree . Got nothing wrong with Wallace’s opinion on this . Will be fascinating how Bevo handles it

Mate, read Cyberdoggies excellent balanced post above - that is where we are at.

Twodogs
06-04-2018, 05:13 PM
As usual, Wallace turns it around to talk about himself. He takes great delight in seeing someone else struggle at a club he used to coach. I liked Wallace as a coach but slowly over the past few years he is getting on my nerves.

It was classic Plough. He speculated for 15 minutes about Bevo and how he would be feeling and different ways he may approach the problems we face and it was quite interesting and then spent 45 minutes taking about himself. Even when he said "I could have handled situations better when things were not going to plan" he didn't mention which coaching stint he was talking about. I assume it was Richmond but the point of the story was that Terry was the coach.

merantau
06-04-2018, 06:51 PM
I was a Wallace fan as a player and coach. We had a lot of good wins under him but he lost me over the way he left. That was such an insult to the players and I'm so glad they told him where to go.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Does he still call himself Plough?

kruder
06-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Oh woe is the Western bulldogs, Terry Wallace and Damien Barrett have an opinion on whats going to at the WO. How precious have some become on this blog?

We have been average at best since the premiership, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We obviously have got our list wrong going into the season/ post premiership continuing with many list cloggers and overrated depth in which will be finally brought to head at the end of the season. I'm happy to give Bevo the benefit of the doubt and back him in to reshape the list, get the culture right and move on those going in a different direction. Embrace the heat I say and lets build again.

bornadog
06-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Oh woe is the Western bulldogs, Terry Wallace and Damien Barrett have an opinion on whats going to at the WO. How precious have some become on this blog?.

No one has become precious. You missed the point, Wallace as a media person doesn't even analyse the side and give a proper opinion, he starts talking about himself again. As for Barrett, - do I have to explain it to you?

Twodogs
06-04-2018, 10:12 PM
Oh woe is the Western bulldogs, Terry Wallace and Damien Barrett have an opinion on whats going to at the WO. How precious have some become on this blog?

We have been average at best since the premiership, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We obviously have got our list wrong going into the season/ post premiership continuing with many list cloggers and overrated depth in which will be finally brought to head at the end of the season. I'm happy to give Bevo the benefit of the doubt and back him in to reshape the list, get the culture right and move on those going in a different direction. Embrace the heat I say and lets build again.

Nah. It's definitely Barrett's fault. All of it.

kruder
06-04-2018, 10:21 PM
No one has become precious. You missed the point, Wallace as a media person doesn't even analyse the side and give a proper opinion, he starts talking about himself again. As for Barrett, - do I have to explain it to you?

Are you a teacher?

bornadog
06-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Are you a teacher?

Maybe I should be. :D

Who are these list cloggers?

Remi Moses
07-04-2018, 10:28 AM
Mate, read Cyberdoggies excellent balanced post above - that is where we are at.

I’m taking the point of it’s the first time Bevo’s coached a side that’s struggling! The facts are regardless of personnel at hand our effort has been woeful . That can’t be disputed , but I do take the point of personnel not being match fit or in form .Lets all just ignore agitators like Barrett

jazzadogs
07-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Does he still call himself Plough?

He calls himself 'The List Manager' now.

kruder
07-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Maybe I should be. :D

Who are these list cloggers?

Do I have to name names? I think you will finally find out at seasons end, I'm expecting a large cut. You can look at our VFL premiership two ways, we have a number of good VFL players on our list or the future is very bright. Unfortunately for us its the former... Im just so disappointed in our Talls, they are either injury prone or not good enough.

bornadog
07-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Im just so disappointed in our Talls, they are either injury prone or not good enough.

What happened to patience with taller players? The majority of our talls are 19 to 21 years old

Ghost Dog
07-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Well, I'm disappointed with Trengrove's collarbone. Toughen up collarbone. Will everyone please stop getting injured? Thank you.
Until Wallet can wave a magic wand and heal our list, not sure he could be doing better than Bevo at this point.

Twodogs
07-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Well, I'm disappointed with Trengrove's collarbone. Toughen up collarbone. Will everyone please stop getting injured? Thank you.
Until Wallet can wave a magic wand and heal our list, not sure he could be doing better than Bevo at this point.

Alright I'll try. You're welcome.

kruder
07-04-2018, 05:52 PM
What happened to patience with taller players? The majority of our talls are 19 to 21 years old

I'm talking Roughead, Trengove( injury prone clone of Roughead do not rate at all), Campbell and Roberts to name a few.

Bullies
07-04-2018, 06:29 PM
I'm talking Roughead, Trengove( injury prone clone of Roughead do not rate at all), Campbell and Roberts to name a few. Trengove will end up our Chris Mayne. Nothing wrong with the points you made Kruder as it is what a lot of supporters feel.