PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned. Round three v Essendon.

Twodogs
07-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Tell us three things you learned against Essendon today.

GVGjr
08-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Count them down, 3, 2 and 1

DOG GOD
08-04-2018, 07:38 PM
3. Naughton and Richards will be very good players for us
2. Wood should never play fwd again
1. The hunger is all between the ears

Remi Moses
08-04-2018, 07:41 PM
Great drafting last season
That story of players not kicking it to each is utter nonsense ! Never heard such b/s ! How on earth with the speed of this game could you have the time to decide whom not to kick to !!
Got the hunger back today

Mofra
08-04-2018, 07:42 PM
3. English may well become the best ruckman in the competition. He was outstanding.
2. Richards might have the best footskills in our side
1. If Macrae keeps his current form-line up we can play the Bont mostly forward

lemmon
08-04-2018, 07:57 PM
1. All between the ears. Not sure how we go from serving up what we have, to that.

2. We can build on this backline. Richards is very good already, Williams proved me wrong with his composure and skill, Wood really steadied them and the Cordy/Naughton pair was much improved.

3. The Bont's touch is still fine. His composure to set up McLean for the sealer was excellent.

merantau
08-04-2018, 08:21 PM
1. With a very different team to 2016 we managed to play the same style of hard running, numbers around the ball style of football.
2. We used the ball well, lowered eyes and hit targets. I have not seen us do this for a long time.
3. The young players we brought in are going to be good players for years to come.

Greystache
08-04-2018, 08:26 PM
1. Furious effort can cover partly our poor skills, but can we sustain that?

2. Our goal kicking continues to set new levels of terrible.

3. Despite the ferocious media barracking, Essendon are a very ordinary team yet again!

westbulldog
08-04-2018, 08:30 PM
1. English, Naughton and Richards are great acquisitions.
2. Easton Wood is way off his best.
3. Dickson and Redpath failed to hit the scoreboard, hopefully they are better for the run.

Go_Dogs
08-04-2018, 08:38 PM
1. Bailey Williams had the sort of game I've been waiting for and proved he has a future at this level. Demonstrated his ability in the air a number of times, took the game on and whilst his execution wasn't perfect his decision making was was good.

2. Josh Dunkley is our most important exit kick player. He's so good in the air for his size...now just need him to work on converting his set shots more frequently.

3. TMT - more capable of playing big minutes than I thought. Was it only one centre square duel he didn't content? Massive effort from the kid.

Happy Days
08-04-2018, 08:53 PM
3. Tmt

tmt?

westdog54
08-04-2018, 08:54 PM
1. Dalrymple went out with a bang. Naughton, Richards and English are dead set beauties.
2. Contrary to popular opinion, Bailey Williams knows the purpose of the two big pole thingies.
3. For all his shortcomings, Mitch Honeychurch has balls of solid rock.

EasternWest
08-04-2018, 08:59 PM
3. For all his shortcomings, Mitch Honeychurch has balls of solid rock.

Must be something about the number 22.

The bulldog tragician
08-04-2018, 09:02 PM
1. Tim English is a beauty.
2. I finally saw what Bailey Williams can do for us.
3. There is NOTHING better than beating Essendon, except beating them when they are red hot favourites, and they begin booing their own players as only they can

bornadog
08-04-2018, 09:02 PM
1. Williams showed why he is preferred over others as the HBF - best game for us.

2. Bevo showed why he puts trust in players and they didn't let him down.

3. Stats showed we were almost the same level as 2016, with 417 disposals, winning clearances and stoppages, and just about the same with cont.poss. Centre clearances were still a concern as was goal kicking. The best stat for me was 23 marks inside 50 to 13

chef
08-04-2018, 09:03 PM
tmt?

Im guessing Two Meter Tim

hujsh
08-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Must be something about the number 22.

I'm blanking on our previous 22s. Could someone remind me?

Twodogs
08-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Bully Gowers can kick
Richards and Naughton both can be part of a new back six
Bailey Williams can play league football.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-04-2018, 09:05 PM
1. Furious effort can cover partly our poor skills, but can we sustain that?

2. Our goal kicking continues to set new levels of terrible.

3. Despite the ferocious media barracking, Essendon are a very ordinary team yet again!

I thought our skill today was, excepting goalkicking tremendous.
Yes, I concede goalkicking is a VITAL skill and one that has frustrated us for a long time. However the last two weeks poor performances were owing largely to inexcusable turnovers that led to a mountain of scores on us. Today we were above 80% efficiency for most of the game and we made very intelligent decisions.

hujsh
08-04-2018, 09:10 PM
I thought our skill today was, excepting goalkicking tremendous.
Yes, I concede goalkicking is a VITAL skill and one that has frustrated us for a long time. However the last two weeks poor performances were owing largely to inexcusable turnovers that led to a mountain of scores on us. Today we were above 80% efficiency for most of the game and we made very intelligent decisions.

Our skill level absolutely looked up. It may be in part due to the increased effort with players working for each other to provide options to kick to as well as getting numbers to the contest and creating space for each other. So better decisions but also better options.

angelopetraglia
08-04-2018, 09:23 PM
1. Honey can have a real impact as an inside mid. Just kept putting his head over it today.

2. We still have not learnt to kick for goal. This has been an issue at the club for so many years. Almost cost us the game. Fix it!!!!!

3. We have found some great new talent again. The clubs ability not only to recruit right but then to develop and give confidence to young players is as good as any club in the land. So many young players who had a massive impact today.

Go_Dogs
08-04-2018, 09:40 PM
tmt?

Two Metre Timmy

EasternWest
08-04-2018, 09:44 PM

There can be only one.

Stuff it. I'm trying to post a picture but NFI how to without exceeding my limit.

It's Dylan Addison.

Twodogs
08-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Ted Whitten Jr. was a number 22. Wally Donald wore it and a kid called Robert Murphy.

Dry Rot
08-04-2018, 10:22 PM
1. No regrets about getting rid of Stringer

2. Daniher isn't as good as the gushing Ch 7 commentators think he is

3. The Bombers are soft all over the ground. The 2016 grand finalists have shown today and last year in the finals that when the Bombers come up against a hard nosed team they melt. Should have got inside mids instead of Stringer, Saad and Smith.

Can I add a fourth? Goddard is a lumbering slow old turd.

bornadog
08-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Can I add a fourth? Goddard is a lumbering slow old turd.

He is soft as butter - hates footsteps

Stefcep
08-04-2018, 10:45 PM
Our skill level absolutely looked up. It may be in part due to the increased effort with players working for each other to provide options to kick to as well as getting numbers to the contest and creating space for each other. So better decisions but also better options.

Our hand skills in tight were as quick and slick as 2016.

The Adelaide Connection
08-04-2018, 10:45 PM
1. Gowers has got an excellent set of hands and the mark he took late on Hurley, in particular, was a ripper. We need to bring in a goal kicking coach maybe, but I think he is going to be a real asset to our forwardline.
2. Everything is going to be okay.
3. After a rough few weeks I did something that I have never done before- I made a cup of tea and went on the Bombers forum post game to watch them all melting down. Maybe a little sadistic, but it was highly enjoyable and I do recommend it! 😀 Click below:
https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/break-the-swear-filter-review-thread-v-woofers/12635/38

Ghost Dog
08-04-2018, 10:53 PM
1. Gowers has got an excellent set of hands and the mark he took late on Hurley, in particular, was a ripper. We need to bring in a goal kicking coach maybe, but I think he is going to be a real asset to our forwardline.
3. After a rough few weeks I did something that I have never done before- I made a cup of tea and went on the Bombers forum post game to watch them all melting down. Maybe a little sadistic, but it was highly enjoyable and I do recommend it! �� Click below:
https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/break-the-swear-filter-review-thread-v-woofers/12635/38

Cheers for that T.A.C. I find the difference in tone between Woof and Bomber Blitz hilarious. Those guys eat their own. Seriously, they are at each other like 15 year olds on facebook.

1. We won't miss Stringer and are lucky to have offloaded him. Players are right onto his playing style and hasn't broken a tackle for Essendon yet.

2. Didn't think we would trounce them by that much, considering we missed so many goals. Just a better team by miles. Surprised!

3. Dunkley is a better forward than I thought.

Some keen insight from a Bomber's fan who may be onto something here...
"I question the intelligence of our playing list and demand instant testing of all new recruits because right now we have the stupidest football team the universe has ever seen" hahaha.

Twodogs
08-04-2018, 10:54 PM
something that I have never done before- I made a cup of tea and went on the Bombers forum post game to watch them all melting down. Maybe a little sadistic, but it was highly enjoyable and I do recommend it! �� Click below:

Thanks for a very enjoyable link.

LostDoggy
08-04-2018, 11:07 PM
1. Williams is a confidence player.

2. English is mobile and agile but still young and we will need to nurture him carefully this year.

3. Lowering the eyes with short to mid range passes worked well today, but it is a pity we can't do the same with longer kicks. At times we had to shoot for goal from on 50 or from wide on the boundary.

Sedat
08-04-2018, 11:15 PM
Peter Quill

Sedat
08-04-2018, 11:18 PM
Josh Dunkley's hands are as sticky as his old man's, and Andrew had a serious pair of mitts.

hujsh
08-04-2018, 11:30 PM
3. After a rough few weeks I did something that I have never done before- I made a cup of tea and went on the Bombers forum post game to watch them all melting down. Maybe a little sadistic, but it was highly enjoyable and I do recommend it!  Click below:

At the end of a longer post this was directed at no one in particular - "Get a haircut!"

That is very fair.

hujsh
08-04-2018, 11:31 PM
There can be only one.

Stuff it. I'm trying to post a picture but NFI how to without exceeding my limit.

It's Dylan Addison.

HOW COULD I FORGET DFA!?

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Player%20Profiles/2013%20-%20Profiles/ADDISON%20Dylan.png

Dry Rot
08-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Josh Dunkley's hands are as sticky as his old man's, and Andrew had a serious pair of mitts.

Saw a bit of Dunkley Snr up here at the SCG. Terrific full back, but my grandmother can kick better than him, and she's dead.

westdog54
08-04-2018, 11:34 PM
Saw a bit of Dunkley Snr up here at the SCG. Terrific full back, but my grandmother can kick better than him, and she's dead.

Wayne Carey had a bit of a chuckle on Triple M at the thought of Andrew teaching young Josh to kick in the backyard.

Sedat
08-04-2018, 11:34 PM
He was a shocking field kick - one of the worst in history - but a magnificent mark

AndrewP6
08-04-2018, 11:35 PM
3. After a rough few weeks I did something that I have never done before- I made a cup of tea and went on the Bombers forum post game to watch them all melting down. Maybe a little sadistic, but it was highly enjoyable and I do recommend it! 😀 Click below:

Bloody hell that is funny. 😂😂😂

westdog54
08-04-2018, 11:35 PM
He was a shocking field kick - one of the worst in history - but a magnificent mark

I'd nominate Mick Martyn as being marginally worse.

Dry Rot
08-04-2018, 11:57 PM

Agree absolutely.

Plugger one end, Dunkley the other. Very handy book ends for the late nineties Swans.

The bulldog tragician
08-04-2018, 11:57 PM
He is soft as butter - hates footsteps

And a surly whinger. It’s never HIS fault. Always someone else’s

Happy Days
08-04-2018, 11:59 PM
I'd nominate Mick Martyn as being marginally worse.

This is fun little sub-thread - I'm going with Brett Peake

The bulldog tragician
09-04-2018, 12:15 AM

OMG that is hilarious. Calls to bring back Hird! And this one is a personal favourite:

It is now FIFTY years since we won a final under a coach other than Kevin Sheedy.

We desperately need someone like Sheedy who also had to come in and change the culture of the club and the mindset of the players.

Prince Imperial
09-04-2018, 01:23 AM

I'm 49 years old and have a long memory and Essendon have always had the largest number of offensive morons in the League who delighted in hanging it on us.

Brilliant to see them suffering in their jocks!

jeemak
09-04-2018, 02:19 AM
Only read the last page, wow. Sometimes I think we get a bit over the top here, that was well over the top.

EasternWest
09-04-2018, 02:19 AM
HOW COULD I FORGET DFA!?

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Player%20Profiles/2013%20-%20Profiles/ADDISON%20Dylan.png

How could you? For shame.

The Adelaide Connection
09-04-2018, 02:20 AM
I'm 49 years old and have a long memory and Essendon have always had the largest number of offensive morons in the League who delighted in hanging it on us.

Brilliant to see them suffering in their jocks!

It is a thing of beauty isn't it? Here are some of my favourites:

"Remember when you called the doggies a pissant club? What’s below a pissant?"

"They couldn’t organise a root in a brothel. All those people, all that money, still so stupid."

"That post proves the point that you do. Farking idiot is what you are."

"I’m going for a long walk. I think half this thread should join me. Well not literally join me, I might push you in front of a truck. Join, someone else? Unless they are also an Essendon supporter? That wouldn’t work either come to think of it.
Go for your own farking walk is pretty much what I’m saying."

"Can’t wait for all the happy clappers to say the boys tried and that this effort is acceptable.
■■■■ you all, you are what’s wrong with this mediocre club."

Twodogs
09-04-2018, 02:23 AM
There are too many truly great posts for me to pick a fave. The one calling for the reappointment of James Hird with Kevin Sheedy as his assistant is pretty funny.

SonofScray
09-04-2018, 08:01 AM
1. We are better than R1 & 2 performances suggested. A much better week in the media, at selection, in the coaches box and in the field. Felt like the effort was up and cohesion between phases of the game was there.

2. We found something in English, he turned around 12 months of getting slaughtered in the middle. It could be that Essendon are just weak as piss, but it felt great to not be decisively beaten at even center bounce and swept asid, conceding clean entries into the opposition F50.Won plenty ourselves and halved everything else until fatigue kicked in.

3. Winning. Cures what ails you.

SlimPickens
09-04-2018, 09:29 AM
1. Amazing what happens when you only play 1 primary ruckman instead of 3. Structured up so much better this week.

2. My perception of Matt Suckling as a player has changed dramatically. His work rate, positioning and speed were exemplary today.

3. Men of mayhem is the non-negiotiable for this team.

ratsmac
09-04-2018, 09:48 AM
1. When everyone works hard and hits hard we can win.
2. Our kids will inspire the rest of the group if they play like that every week.
3. Caleb Daniel found his touch again. Love that little man.

ratsmac
09-04-2018, 09:56 AM
1. Amazing what happens when you only play 1 primary ruckman instead of 3. Structured up so much better this week.

2. My perception of Matt Suckling as a player has changed dramatically. His work rate, positioning and speed were exemplary today.

3. Men of mayhem is the non-negiotiable for this team.

Good call. He has had plenty of knockers over his career about being a bit soft and a bit of a down hill skier but he is clearly working hard and has put his body in. He has been a good example to the younger players.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2018, 09:57 AM
1. There's still spirit within the squad, really pleasing to see. Some terrific efforts from the likes of Dickson and Honeychurch where they put it all on the line.

2. Toby McLean is a gun mid flying under the radar. His work ethic is phenomenal, was a big fan of him straight away when we drafted him but his rise has been rapid.

3. Our pups showed some strong signs. English was terrific in the ruck - might just be the best ruck in the game within 3 years. His mobility and willingness to get involved is so impressive for a second year ruck. While he was fresh I thought he dominated Bellchambers. Naughton was good down back and looked much better today whilst I am adopting Richards as my new boy, this kid is all class. I love that Richards makes excellent decisions with ball in hand and is never rushed - so many examples today where he showed composure beyond his years. Love his pace and ball carrying ability.

Bullies
09-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Good call. He has had plenty of knockers over his career about being a bit soft and a bit of a down hill skier but he is clearly working hard and has put his body in. He has been a good example to the younger players. Suckling was also the one showing the young ones where to go/stand and had a say after each goal.

1eyedog
09-04-2018, 10:31 AM
This is fun little sub-thread - I'm going with Brett Peake

James Manson by a fair margin

1eyedog
09-04-2018, 10:34 AM
It is a thing of beauty isn't it? Here are some of my favourites:

"Remember when you called the doggies a pissant club? What’s below a pissant?"

"They couldn’t organise a root in a brothel. All those people, all that money, still so stupid."

"That post proves the point that you do. Farking idiot is what you are."

"I’m going for a long walk. I think half this thread should join me. Well not literally join me, I might push you in front of a truck. Join, someone else? Unless they are also an Essendon supporter? That wouldn’t work either come to think of it.
Go for your own farking walk is pretty much what I’m saying."

"Can’t wait for all the happy clappers to say the boys tried and that this effort is acceptable.
■■■■ you all, you are what’s wrong with this mediocre club."

I love 'we've been shit for 20 years need to turn the club upside down and start again'.

Bulldog4life
09-04-2018, 10:49 AM
1. Essendon’s "big 3 recruits" are a fallacy.
2. English, Richards and Naughton were all terrific considering how many games they have played.
3. The doggies averaged 58 games each player. Only 4 players played 100 plus games. Outstanding.

Twodogs
09-04-2018, 10:56 AM

Hey, that's my line! :cool:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-04-2018, 10:57 AM
James Manson by a fair margin

Jayson Daniels fits in this conversation somewhere.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-04-2018, 10:57 AM
1. Never give praise to umpires. I thought they did a great job over the first two rounds and was singing their praises. But Sundays game was an absolute shocker. I'm still not over the Stringer holding the ball non-call and the quick play-on calls came out of nowhere.
2. Essendon are allowed to throw the ball. We copped the brunt of it last year due to our revolutionary hand-ball skills and success, but this season essendon, particularly against the crows and us, have gotten away with a lot of throws.
3. Winning is awesome. How much a difference it makes. Just read here and on BF and the difference is night and day. Also like night and day was our effort on sunday vs rounds 1 and 2. What the hell changed?? Or what the hell was wrong with the group the first two weeks? I thought we had gone back in time. I haven't seen that commitment since 2016 and it was so good to see. A question i have is did we implement the same tactics/strategy this week as in rounds 1 and 2? Did the players just implement it well and with confidence this week?

Ghost Dog
09-04-2018, 11:37 AM
1. Never give praise to umpires. I thought they did a great job over the first two rounds and was singing their praises. But Sundays game was an absolute shocker. I'm still not over the Stringer holding the ball non-call and the quick play-on calls came out of nowhere.
2. Essendon are allowed to throw the ball. We copped the brunt of it last year due to our revolutionary hand-ball skills and success, but this season essendon, particularly against the crows and us, have gotten away with a lot of throws.
3. Winning is awesome. How much a difference it makes. Just read here and on BF and the difference is night and day. Also like night and day was our effort on sunday vs rounds 1 and 2. What the hell changed?? Or what the hell was wrong with the group the first two weeks? I thought we had gone back in time. I haven't seen that commitment since 2016 and it was so good to see. A question i have is did we implement the same tactics/strategy this week as in rounds 1 and 2? Did the players just implement it well and with confidence this week?

I don't know, I was quietly confident we would play a lot better but hesitate to expect too much from such a young group each week. Part of that confidence this time around comes from Essendon having some pretty overrated players. Hard to believe David Zaharakis is still running around there! Stringer fits in perfectly in that list. Does enough dazzle on a once a month basis to keep his lifestyle kicking over. They are that kind of team.
Dyson Heppell's hair did a good job, as always.

Greystache
09-04-2018, 01:25 PM
There are too many truly great posts for me to pick a fave. The one calling for the reappointment of James Hird with Kevin Sheedy as his assistant is pretty funny.

Ironically that was the call when Knights was coach, and they got it (well Bomber instead of Sheedy)! Worked out well. Now they want the failed savior to come back as the savior!

Twodogs
09-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Ironically that was the call when Knights was coach, and they got it (well Bomber instead of Sheedy)! Worked out well. Now they want the failed savior to come back as the savior!

Back when all the suburban grounds were in operation Windy Hill was full of self opinionated wankers who knew everything about everything and pimply teenagers.

Now I know where they went.

merantau
09-04-2018, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the link - pure gold. Will be my go to site after each Bomber loss. Great to see them lashing out at each other and the club, its admin, coaches, property steward, the bloke who cuts the oranges and those who wash the jumpers. A real treat of a read - not to be missed and So, So Essendon.

The bulldog tragician
09-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the link - pure gold. Will be my go to site after each Bomber loss. Great to see them lashing out at each other and the club, its admin, coaches, property steward, the bloke who cuts the oranges and those who wash the jumpers. A real treat of a read - not to be missed and So, So Essendon.

As always, they booed their own, but doing in the first quarter was a new one.

The Adelaide Connection
10-04-2018, 01:44 AM
I love 'we've been shit for 20 years need to turn the club upside down and start again'.

Was this the guy that said something like "get all the cheats out of the team" too? I was very suprised to see an Essendon supporter with such a biting comment that wasn't running the victim/anything to see here line when referencing the drug saga.

1eyedog
10-04-2018, 09:37 AM
Was this the guy that said something like "get all the cheats out of the team" too? I was very suprised to see an Essendon supporter with such a biting comment that wasn't running the victim/anything to see here line when referencing the drug saga.

Yes it was very un-Essendon like

Bulldog Revolution
10-04-2018, 11:35 AM
1. Bailey Williams - we sometimes expect a lot from our players quickly. The 20yr olds best game for the club, complete with side-stepping, aerial work, field kicking, and what I hope will become a trademark goal.
2. Tim English - impressive outing from the second year ruckman - carried an enormous load of the overall ruck work, got involved around the ground, and has great skills when he does get his hands on it - bravo big fella
3. Hey now, hey now - our pressures back - great to see us bring the heat around the contest - this brought back to the fore the skill of side by hand in close - still work to be done, but everything was possible because of our improved contested work.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-04-2018, 03:48 PM
1. Ed Richards, a slashing figure topped with chocolate red. Great kick and brave enough to look inboard and centre to a player with accuracy.
2. Tim English- transformed our team by providing a target for long kicks out of trouble and into opportunity.
3. We can be the better team at marks around the ground.

S Coast Simon
10-04-2018, 10:00 PM
Wow footy is finally back. Just quickly read a few on the bombers website. They are just shocking human beings. The carry on over the loss is ridiculous. I would be embarrassed if Doggies supporters went on like that, what a disgrace to their club.

1 Can see why they persisted with Williams. Great game. Must do some great things at training.

2 outstanding game by English. Looked like a 200 game veteran at times. He is going to be a great player

3 How good was Richards out of the backline. He sure looked relaxed at this level. Has picked up the pace of the game like he belongs

dont want ant to get to carried away but watching their attack on the ball has ignited my passion for the season ahead. Go Doggies and thanks to all you legends for keeping me entertained in the off season with all your posts. I really appreciate all your work

S Coast Simon
10-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Wow footy is finally back. Just quickly read a few on the bombers website. They are just shocking human beings. The carry on over the loss is ridiculous. I would be embarrassed if Doggies supporters went on like that, what a disgrace to their club.

1 Can see why they persisted with Williams. Great game. Must do some great things at training.

2 outstanding game by English. Looked like a 200 game veteran at times. He is going to be a great player

3 How good was Richards out of the backline. He sure looked relaxed at this level. Has picked up the pace of the game like he belongs

dont want ant to get to carried away but watching their attack on the ball has ignited my passion for the season ahead. Go Doggies and thanks to all you legends for keeping me entertained in the off season with all your posts. I really appreciate all your work

Twodogs
10-04-2018, 11:21 PM

Those Essendon supporters are completely appalling human beings. I was just thinking the other day that I know supporters from all clubs, really good mates and people I am genuinely fond of barrack for Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, i even have Norf supporters as really good mates. But I can't think of one person I would even call a casual aquaintance who is an Essendon supporter. There is the sister of a girl I know that I get along with alright who follows Essendon but I haven't spoken to her in ages.