PDA

View Full Version : Player v trade

ledge
12-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Thought this would make a good thread over time where we could compare players we traded for and players/ draft picks we recieved and how its panned out.
Let's start with Stringer , who did we end up with and what's the opinions of who will win out of it ?
Jake has played all three games and IMO been very mediocre although did get a few possessions against us , but weren't damaging.
Who did we get in the draft for him and how are they performing?

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 08:23 PM
In short we swapped the picks we got for Jake for Josh Schasche. It's going to take a couple of years to see who gets the better of that deal although it might be a race to the bottom the way Jake is shaping up. And clubs don't just give away #2 draft picks like Schasche unless they come with a large question mark over some aspect/s of his footy, so it's not a lay down misere that he will be any sort of player.

Eastdog
12-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Hopefully Josh gets playing soon we haven't had much opportunity seeing him in action.

Stringer has set the world on fire. So far not a big loss. Stringer can turn it on but just doesn't do enough in games. He was a very lazy player with us.

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 10:11 PM
Hopefully Josh gets playing soon we haven't had much opportunity seeing him in action.

Stringer has set the world on fire. So far not a big loss. Stringer can turn it on but just doesn't do enough in games. He was a very lazy player with us.

I think you mean hasn't set the world on fire there mate. Either that or you have very low standards on what constitutes a good game. Jake hasn't been the same since May smashed into his shoulder against Gold Coast a few years ago. I think he hasn't got over that.

Eastdog
12-04-2018, 10:21 PM
I think you mean hasn't set the world on fire there mate. Either that or you have very low standards on what constitutes a good game. Jake hasn't been the same since May smashed into his shoulder against Gold Coast a few years ago. I think he hasn't got over that.

I certainly meant hasn't. Typing on my phone Twodogs.

Bulldog Joe
12-04-2018, 10:45 PM

You may well have identified the source of the Stringer malaise. Jakey was always one to need the trainer's attention after any sort of bump, but that was a real fair dinkum bump.

We really should have called him Sooky Stringer.

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 11:47 PM
You may well have identified the source of the Stringer malaise. Jakey was always one to need the trainer's attention after any sort of bump, but that was a real fair dinkum bump.

We really should have called him Sooky Stringer.

Yep he lost all interest in body contact after that and was forever trying to take the easy option and get the cheapie out the back. I don't think it was a workrate thing with Jake, he just doesn't want another busted shoulder.

But how does he think Chris Judd got through the last ten years of his career with his shoulder held together with band aids? How does he think Shane Warne bowled over after over before he had surgery to correct it, and being a leg spinner Warne relied on rotating his shoulder for some deliveries and dropping his shoulder for others. Poor bastard must have been in agony. No wonder he didn't bowl a proper wrong 'un for 2-3 years.

But I guess that illustrates why Judd and Warne are considered to be close to GOAT in their sports and Stringer will be remembered as a great waste of talent.

Eastdog
13-04-2018, 12:07 AM
2015 was a strong year for him but since then he has gone downhill.

LostDoggy
13-04-2018, 02:03 AM
Yep he lost all interest in body contact after that and was forever trying to take the easy option and get the cheapie out the back. I don't think it was a workrate thing with Jake, he just doesn't want another busted shoulder.

But how does he think Chris Judd got through the last ten years of his career with his shoulder held together with band aids? How does he think Shane Warne bowled over after over before he had surgery to correct it, and being a leg spinner Warne relied on rotating his shoulder for some deliveries and dropping his shoulder for others. Poor bastard must have been in agony. No wonder he didn't bowl a proper wrong 'un for 2-3 years.

But I guess that illustrates why Judd and Warne are considered to be close to GOAT in their sports and Stringer will be remembered as a great waste of talent.

I prefer Total Waste Of Talent ;)

Mofra
13-04-2018, 10:16 AM
In short we swapped the picks we got for Jake for Josh Schasche. It's going to take a couple of years to see who gets the better of that deal although it might be a race to the bottom the way Jake is shaping up. And clubs don't just give away #2 draft picks like Schasche unless they come with a large question mark over some aspect/s of his footy, so it's not a lay down misere that he will be any sort of player.
Not quite - we received two second rounders, used one of them (with Carlton's 2017 third ) to get Schache, we also used two 2017 second rounders (and next years' second rounder) to trade up to 16 with Carlton to get Ed Richards, with Carlton's third (pick 40) coming back to us.

I have my doubts about Schache, am not convinced by Stringer either, but think Ed Richards will play 250 games. Looks incredible already and we know the club rated him inside the top 10.

I'd forgotten until I just checked we also have Freo's fourth round pick this year as part of the Crozier trade.

Right now Essendon have realized Stringer won't be the big bodied mid they want, we're ruing losing next years' second rounder (muted by the FS & Academy kids we have coming through) nut a net gain of Richards is fantastic for us. We lost the trade battle but won the war.

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Not quite - we received two second rounders, used one of them (with our third) to get Schache, we also used another (and next years' second rounder) to trade up to 16 with Carlton to get Ed Richards.

I have my doubts about Schache, am not convinced by Stringer either, but think Ed Richards will play 250 games. Looks incredible already and we know the club rated him inside the top 10.

Cheers Mof. I thought it was a bit more complicated than I made out.

bornadog
13-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Not quite - we received two second rounders, used one of them (with Carlton's 2017 third ) to get Schache, we also used two 2017 second rounders (and next years' second rounder) to trade up to 16 with Carlton to get Ed Richards, with Carlton's third (pick 40) coming back to us.

I'd forgotten until I just checked we also have Freo's fourth round pick this year as part of the Crozier trade.

Right now Essendon have realized Stringer won't be the big bodied mid they want, we're ruing losing next years' second rounder (muted by the FS & Academy kids we have coming through) nut a net gain of Richards is fantastic for us. We lost the trade battle but won the war.

I think Schache will be ok, he is only 20 years old and a lot of upside. Time will tell.

Mofra
13-04-2018, 10:26 AM
I think Schache will be ok, he is only 20 years old and a lot of upside. Time will tell.
he has everything you need in a footballer except intensity. In the modern era I can only hope the rest of his game makes up for it.
I see him as a bit of an Andrejs Everitt type - certainly has the talent and skill. Perhaps he just needs to take the year to settle back into Melbourne life.

Doc26
13-04-2018, 11:43 AM
he has everything you need in a footballer except intensity. In the modern era I can only hope the rest of his game makes up for it.
I see him as a bit of an Andrejs Everitt type - certainly has the talent and skill. Perhaps he just needs to take the year to settle back into Melbourne life.

Or our version of Jack Watts. Might just take some time to get the monkey of his back, and time to develop and find his place.

ledge
13-04-2018, 05:11 PM
So simplified we got Richards and Schache ?
Well I think Richards has already given more than Stringer.

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 05:48 PM
So simplified we got Richards and Schache ?
Well I think Richards has already given more than Stringer.

Plus some draft picks, from last year's draft and one from this year's draft.

1\Carlton's third rounder with one of the second round picks we got for Stringer we gave to Brisbane for Schache.

2\our second round pick plus the other second round pick we got for Stringer plus next year's (this year's) second round pick we traded to Carlton for their pick 16 (which we picked Richards with) plus the third round pick that we gave to Brisbane for Schasche.

Does that sound right Mof?

I think Richards has already given more than Stringer

Richards is promising but he hasn't got an AA jumper hanging in the wardrobe or a premiership medallion sitting on the mantelpiece. Yet.

ledge
13-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Plus some draft picks, from last year's draft and one from this year's draft.

1\Carlton's third rounder with one of the second round picks we got for Stringer we gave to Brisbane for Schache.

2\our second round pick plus the other second round pick we got for Stringer plus next year's (this year's) second round pick we traded to Carlton for their pick 16 (which we picked Richards with) plus the third round pick that we gave to Brisbane for Schasche.

Does that sound right Mof?

Richards is promising but he hasn't got an AA jumper hanging in the wardrobe or a premiership medallion sitting on the mantelpiece. Yet.

I should clarify .. As far as what Stringer has done since he left. That's why I started the thread. Who has done better after the trade.
Biggs has been a great get and I think we got him for nothing.
Who did we get for Hamling?

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 09:30 PM
I should clarify .. As far as what Stringer has done since he left. That's why I started the thread. Who has done better after the trade.
Biggs has been a great get and I think we got him for nothing.
Who did we get for Hamling?

I see what you mean. Ed was much better than Jake last week.

I'm not going to look up what we got for Hamling, it will just get me annoyed because we got nowhere near his market value.

westdog54
13-04-2018, 11:18 PM
I see what you mean. Ed was much better than Jake last week.

I'm not going to look up what we got for Hamling, it will just get me annoyed because we got nowhere near his market value.

We gave Hamling, pick 40 and pick 63 to Freo for 35, 43 and 61.

We kept 61, which became 70 after academy and F/S selections and selected Fergus Greene.

35 and 43 became 26 and 80 after a swap with GC.

26 was used to select Pat Lipinski. We didn't use 80.

I now have a headache from trying to sift through all that.

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 11:33 PM
We gave Hamling, pick 40 and pick 63 to Freo for 35, 43 and 61.

We kept 61, which became 70 after academy and F/S selections and selected Fergus Greene.

35 and 43 became 26 and 80 after a swap with GC.

26 was used to select Pat Lipinski. We didn't use 80.

I now have a headache from trying to sift through all that.

While I'm still furious that we had to give away the premiership full back for a third round pick and essentially a downgrade from 40 to 43 and the pick we took Greene with. Getting pick 26 and getting Lipinski might be what salvages the deal for us because Lippa can play.

But having Joel Hamling in our defence right now would be a godsend.

ledge
14-04-2018, 07:41 AM
Hamling has struggled to get a game at times at Freo, I think lipinski will far out weigh what we lost.

Twodogs
14-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Hamling has struggled to get a game at times at Freo, I think lipinski will far out weigh what we lost.

I dunno about struggling to get a game. He played all 22 games for Freo last year and has played 2 out of 3 this year.

Lippa will be a good player but it doesn't change the fact we gave Hamlimg away for magic beans.

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 09:24 AM

I'm not sure how you draw such a conclusion. Sure you might rate Lipinski but the fact is Hamling isn't struggling.

ledge
14-04-2018, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure how you draw such a conclusion. Sure you might rate Lipinski but the fact is Hamling isn't struggling.
My fault listening to media I guess,heard he didn't get a game and was struggling, must have been the first game and you know the media.

1eyedog
14-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Wasn't it Jones for Daniel? Massive win.

1eyedog
14-04-2018, 12:16 PM

Playing very well.

Twodogs
14-04-2018, 12:30 PM
I must be invisible...

Wow! I wonder when that happened?

I'm going to have a sleep. No I won't I'll go and hit some guests.

Happy Days
14-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Hamling was 6th in their best and fairest and unlucky not to be higher or in the AA 40 last year, and only missed round one because he was underdone.

He's improved a lot since he got to Freo, and we could seriously use him right about now.

ledge
14-04-2018, 09:35 PM
It's ok , if you saw young in the VFL today , he is a cut above the rest.

Bulldog4life
15-04-2018, 12:42 PM
I must be invisible...

Wow! I wonder when that happened?

I'm going to have a sleep. No I won't I'll go and hit some guests.

Thank you Basil.

Twodogs
15-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Thank you Basil.

Well done. Two dead, 25 to go.