PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Round 4, 2018 - Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium

Eastdog
12-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Predictions Margin, Our first goal, Our best on ground

Margin: Dogs by 11 points

First Goal: Bailey Dale

Best On Ground: Toby McLean

Go Bulldogs!!

Eastdog
12-04-2018, 09:44 PM
http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-04-09/match-info-dogs-v-swans

Match Information | Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans
westernbulldogs.com.au
9 April 2018 12:41 PM

AFL Round 4 - Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans

Saturday 14 April
Etihad Stadium
Gates open: 3pm
First Bounce: 4:35pm

Broadcast

Televised live on Fox Footy from 4:30pm.

Membership Enquiries and Sales
Our friendly membership staff will be located in the Membership Club Hub located outside Gate 5 of click here for more information.

Tickets
We encourage members general admission access to consider upgrading to a reserved seat via Ticketmaster to guarantee entry. Members only pay the discount member rate to upgrade to a reserved seat by entering their 12-digit barcode. Click here to upgrade.

General Admission entry is always subject to capacity and may not be guaranteed should the stadium advise capacity has been reached.

Beat the queues and buy your tickets in advance online here via Ticketmaster.

Footscray End Fan Zone

Come in join in the fun at the Footscray End Fan Zone located at Gate 7. It will be a hub of fun, entertainment and activities!

Inside Gate 7 at the Footscray End there will be plenty of cool activities including:

Player Autographs
Player Lockers to get your photo with
The Press Wall where you can get a photo holding your own post-match press conference
Face Painting
See how you shape up against our team by testing how high you can jump and compare your foot size.
Caesar will be happy for a photo too!
Giveaways
The Pack Kids Club Hub to get your booklet stamped. For more information on The Pack Kids Club click here.
Club Hub

Gate 5 will be a sea of activity for both kids and adults offering plenty of fun, free activities such as:

Membership
Merchandise
Football Zone featuring plenty of football inflatable drills for kids and adults alike
Grab a drink and bite to eat before you head into the game and get to the Food Trucks and The Garden Gate Bar located outside Gate 5.
The Bulldogs Van
Located between gate 4 and 5 the Bulldogs Van has plenty of cool activities and space to hang out. Make sure to come and say hi to our friendly staff here to join in the fun activities including:

Photo Booth
Giant Board Games
Fun Giveaways
Chill Out Zone
Reaction Wall
Social Media

Follow @westernbulldogson Twitter for the latest breaking match day news and quarter-by-quarter scores.
Follow @westernbulldogson Instagram for all the behind the scenes photos from match day. Make sure you tag us in photos to be featured in our social post review!
Like the Western BulldogsFacebook page for the latest breaking news, behind the scenes video and much more from the Kennel.
Check if the roof will be open by following @RalftheRoof on Twitter!

Eastdog
12-04-2018, 09:46 PM
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-10/match-preview-western-bulldogs-v-sydney

Match preview: Western Bulldogs v Sydney
Ryan Davidson
Apr 10, 2018 8:53AM

SUMMARY

While the Bulldogs put in a much more consistent performance in their first win of the season over Essendon last week, the true test of whether they've turned the corner will come against a hardened Swans outfit. The Dogs were hardly placed under any physical pressure by the Bombers and basically did what they wanted, but that won't be the case against John Longmire's men, as they sit third in the League for both contested possessions and tackles. The Dogs are last in the important statistical categories. Sydney re-established itself as a genuine premiership contender after knocking off cross-town rivals Greater Western Sydney last week, with key cogs Lance Franklin, Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker all pivotal in the impressive win. One of the more interesting subplots will be how the Dogs' injury and suspension depleted backline will subdue Franklin on the fast track that Etihad Stadium provides. In just his fourth game, exciting draftee Aaron Naughton may be handed the task of stopping one of the AFL's certified superstars. Good luck, young man.

WHERE AND WHEN: Etihad Stadium, Saturday, April 14, 4.35pm AEST
TV AND RADIO: Click here for broadcast guide

LAST FIVE MEETINGS

R12, 2017, Sydney 12.16 (88) d Western Bulldogs 6.6 (42) at the SCG
R2, 2017, Western Bulldogs 16.14 (110) d Sydney 13.9 (87) at Etihad Stadium
GF, 2016, Western Bulldogs 13.11 (89) d Sydney 10.7 (67) at the MCG
R15, 2016, Western Bulldogs 13.5 (83) d Sydney 11.13 (79) at the SCG
R5, 2015, Western Bulldogs 11.11 (77) d Sydney 10.13 (73) at the SCG

THE SIX POINTS

1. The Swans dominated the Bulldogs all over the field when they last played: 414-371 disposals, 106-65 marks, 28-12 scoring shots and 70-30 inside 50s. Isaac Heeney starred with 31 disposals.

2. Despite early season form issues the Bulldogs are the number one ranked side after three games for marks inside 50, with 53 at 17.7 per game – well ahead of the Swans, ranked equal 12th averaging 10.3.

3. It will be a contest between the most accurate team so far in 2018 and the least accurate; the Swans are operating at 57.1 per cent, the Bulldogs 38 per cent.

4. Lance Franklin has starred so far this season, topping the goalkicking with 14 at 4.6 per game. If he maintains that form he would reach the century in round 23.

5. The teams have played four times previously at Etihad Stadium, with Sydney winning three games to one. Sydney has enjoyed playing at Etihad recently, winning 12 of their last 13 matches, including six by 50 points or more.

6. Sydney superstar Lance Franklin sits fourth overall in the Schick AFL Player Ratings with 596.2 points, while Bulldog Marcus Bontempelli has jumped back into the top 10 and sits 10th on 527.9 points.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …

An understrength Bulldog backline is tasked with stopping Lance Franklin and the Swans' host of dangerous, smaller types. Skipper Easton Wood and his inexperienced defence will have their hands full.

PREDICTION: Sydney by 26 points

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs

1eyedog
13-04-2018, 12:17 AM
Swans by 16 pts
Hunter
Redpath

boydogs
13-04-2018, 01:34 AM
WB by 13
First Goal Dickson
BOG Wood

AndrewP6
13-04-2018, 01:41 AM
Swans by 28
First goal for us Dicko
BOG for us Hunter

bornadog
13-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Dogs by 11
First Goal Redpath
BOG Macrae

Ozza
13-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Swans by 12 points
First Goal: Bailey Dale in the main game.....my son Josh to kick the first in the little league!
BOG: Dahlhaus

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Swans by 12 points
First Goal: Bailey Dale in the main game.....my son Josh to kick the first in the little league!

Don't do what I did and get so distracted by the game your son is playing in that you forget that you are supposed to be the goal umpire in the game running alongside it. I was watching my son when I became aware of a voice yelling "mate, hey mate, HEY GOAL UMPIRE, THE BALL IS COMING TOWARD YOU!!!!!" It was the field umpire trying to get my attention. ;)

AndrewP6
13-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Don't do what I did and get so distracted by the game your son is playing in that you forget that you are supposed to be the goal umpire in the game running alongside it. I was watching my son when I became aware of a voice yelling "mate, hey mate, HEY GOAL UMPIRE, THE BALL IS COMING TOWARD YOU!!!!!" It was the field umpire trying to get my attention. ;)

I once saw a guy taking a pic of his son (presumably) whilst he was supposed to be goal umpire. Missed a goal sail over his head. ��������

AndrewP6
13-04-2018, 01:52 PM
Gary Rohan will be out after his wife gave birth to twins, one passing away hours later, being born with anencephaly. Sad news for them.

Rocket Science
13-04-2018, 02:20 PM
If our full court press holds reckon we can keep them to a manageable total but we had enormous trouble scoring against this mob last time and unless Bont gets off the leash I fear it'll be more of the same.

Margin: Swans by 33 points
First Goal: The Bont
Best On Ground: Caleb Daniel

bornadog
13-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Bevo Press Conference. (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-04-13/four-takeaways-beveridge-press-conference)

4 Takeaways:

1. The redevelopment of VU Whitten Oval

Big news was announced overnight (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-04-12/planning-for-our-future) about what the VU Whitten Oval precinct might look like in the future, and Luke Beveridge shared his thoughts on the benefits to the Club and the community.
“Sport brings people together. Football clubs are unique establishments where there's a binding of souls, in a sense, and it'll be an unbelievable place to come and feel the spirit.

“I'm well aware of the work that's been carried out over a long period of time by our president, Peter Gordon, and the lobbying and the brokering of the deal, where our club becomes the centre of attention here in the west and many, many people will benefit from it.”

2. Who goes to Buddy?

With the Swans and in-form forward Buddy Franklin looming this weekend, attention turned to who gets the job on the Sydney star. And while Beveridge said young defender Aaron Naughton will be matched up with him at times, he said a full team effort will be needed to do the job.

“I think he'll be on Lance at different times. We'll have a plan in place.
“He's the best player in the competition, I believe, (and) he gets better every year. To not turn your mind on how to combat that would be senseless so we will go in with a plan t, and at different times Aaron will be somewhere near him.

“There's a lot of stuff going on up the field that will hopefully make life a little bit easier for our defenders. Without that it's going to be a tough day, he's a big man with great athleticism, but he's scope to produce is best will depend on supply and the nature of it.”

3. Roughead & Trengove

Both big men will be missing this weekend, but for different reasons. Beveridge elaborated on where each player is at.

“Roughy over the last month and a half during games has had an interrupted run at it; he's missed half games coming off with injury or concussion. We just need to get him going again, get some consistency across four quarters and bring him back into the team once he feels on top of his game.

“And it's a little bit early for Jackson after that little fracture of the scapular. He's a tough man but we have to hold him back for one more week. He's almost ready to go but he's not at full capacity yet so he's a chance to play the week after.”

4. An update on Liam Picken

Beveridge revealed on Thursday night on SEN that Liam Picken’s concussion could potentially rule him out for the season. He was asked to elaborate on Picken’s condition on Friday morning.

“He's had a couple of reasonably significant concussions and this one, for him to still be in the state he's in day-to-day... he's good, he's in this morning and riding a bike, but you can just imagine with all the time that's gone by already, for him to be not quite right, there are some concerns.

“I don't want to get into the science, we trust our medical officers and our doctors, but it is an occasion where we've sought some advice around and what that looks like in the future.

“The support is around understanding and putting a plan in place to make sure he's physically still on top of his game, but also if it comes to the crunch and he's feeling better, that we've got all of the information we need to make a good, informed decision.”

hujsh
13-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Trengrove and English could be a handy combo while Roughead, Boyd and Campbell build up. Surprised to find myself saying that this year (and so early) but there it is.

ratsmac
13-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Gary Rohan will be out after his wife gave birth to twins, one passing away hours later, being born with anencephaly. Sad news for them.
This is horrible news. I feel so sorry for the little fella. R.I.P.
Condolences to the Rohans.

ratsmac
13-04-2018, 08:08 PM
I hate to say this after a promising win last week but.....
Swans by 29
First goal - Redpath
BOG - Dahl

Eastdog
13-04-2018, 08:27 PM

Terrible to hear. My thoughts are with them.

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 08:36 PM

That's a terrible thing to happen. I was just reading about it. it's a lack of development in one twin where a major portion of the brain and head is missing.

I really feel for the Rohans.

Bulldog4life
14-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Dogs by 2
First goal - Redpath
BOG - Wallis

Twodogs
14-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Dogs by 24
First Goal Deadeye Dickson
and
BOG will be the wonderful Jack Mac.

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Dogs by 7 points, Dale first goal and Dahlhaus BOG

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Dogs by 1 point.
Dickson 1st goal
BOG: Macrae

azabob
14-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Dogs by 11
First Goal - Bontempelli
BOG - Bontempelli

Ghost Dog
14-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Riding on the back of the winning feeling
New recruits to surprise
Rohan an out ( very sad to hear )
Dogs to win by 2 goals
Tory Dickson from set shot, first goal
BOG Magic Jackson Mac with 20 possessions and 2 goals, 10 tackles.

DOG GOD
14-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Terrible for the Rohan's

Swans by 33 pts
First goal- Dickson
Bog - McRae

1eyedog
14-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Swans by plenty.
Dicko first goal
Hunter BOG

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Great start. Very smart delivery into our forward line. And good finishing.

Sedat
14-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Our mid sized forwards are causing all.sorts of match-up problems

chef
14-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Having a crack, not much more you can ask. Great first quarter.

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 06:07 PM
We've been extremely patient with our delivery into the forward line.
Plenty to like with our effort

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Other than a couple of costly mistakes and a dodgy in the back against Jong, we've had a fantastic start.
The best I've seen us use the ball going inside 50 since so long I can't recall. And we've kicked some blinders too. Dicko, Jong and Dale.
Dicko's workrate has been immense.

AndrewP6
14-04-2018, 06:21 PM
English is a ripper. Contested in the back line then did it at CHF.

AndrewP6
14-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Umpires inept as per usual. Parker gifted another.

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 06:39 PM
We have a great game. That late goal hurt us.
Anyone prepared to change their pregame predictions?

chef
14-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Great first half. Still think they'll run over us but our effort is fantastic.

hujsh
14-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Delivery fell apart a bit in the back half of that quarter. Started going down the line again which worked out well for Sydney. Good start though, just hope we can see it across the line

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 06:47 PM
I've been critical of Suckling but other than a couple of missed shots hes been good.
Macrae has been sensational and Williams got us going

Did we tire in the last 10 minutes?

Jeanette54
14-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Did we tire in the last 10 minutes?

I think Sydney stepped up there pressure on the ball carrier, and we have not had the time to finesse the delivery like we could in the first part of the game.

Twodogs
14-04-2018, 06:55 PM
We have a great game. That late goal hurt us.
Anyone prepared to change their pregame predictions?

Yeah. We will win by 25 points!

jeemak
14-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Umpires are hurting us. Missed trip to Bont, they goal.

jeemak
14-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Dahl is a putrid set shot.

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Everybody loves Dahl but jeezus h christ.

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 07:07 PM
Wonderfully encouraging first half but I fear it's all about to unravel.

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 07:10 PM
AFL-standard footballer fails to score from 30 out, directly in front.

Swans go bang-bang-bang from difficult angles.

Stefcep
14-04-2018, 07:10 PM
too many turnovers

Stefcep
14-04-2018, 07:21 PM
Fox commentarors so pro-Sudney you'd think Sydney were up 12 goals.

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 07:23 PM
We are still fighting it out, great to see.

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Set shots are our kryptonite.

chef
14-04-2018, 07:28 PM
If only we could kick straight.

DOG GOD
14-04-2018, 07:30 PM
is there anyone in our team maybe other than Dickson, you would be more than a 50/50 chance of a sheet shot? None for mine...absolutely shocking. Dalhaus kicks a bag of wheat and Dunkley is not that much better...geez we are throwing this away with stupidity.

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Let's get the first couple of goals and out the pressure back on them.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Dahlhaus’ kicking is pathetic.

It’ll cost us in the end.

DOG GOD
14-04-2018, 07:32 PM
We really really need the first goal

hujsh
14-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Important that we seemed to stop getting bullied in the middle. Wood a can't be expected to contain Buddy if they're streaming out the middle.

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Not just set shots but those critical kicks from Easton & Redders amongst others were just horrible.

Might be time the club considered employing someone whose sole task is to teach the lads how to kick an oval ball.

Ghost Dog
14-04-2018, 07:35 PM
We are a lot more in this than many predicted. Some predicted a massive blowout but I think playing the Swans brings back pleasant memories and brings out the best in us.
The poor kicking comes directly as a result from negative vibes. No more negative vibes please. We are going to win, and if not, cover ourselves in glory in defeat. That's Bulldog!

IT's THE VIBE. GO DOGS!

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Honeychurch.

Death by a thousand poor kicks.

jeemak
14-04-2018, 07:39 PM
Poor kicking across the board, just can’t continue to put ourselves under so much pressure.

jeemak
14-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Daniel is really out of form.

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 07:47 PM
All the grit, effort and application in the world is only as good as the utterly shit kick on the end of it.

1eyedog
14-04-2018, 07:48 PM
It's so so so painful

jeemak
14-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Daniel is really out of form.

Little man has really lifted since I posted this!

Ghost Dog
14-04-2018, 07:54 PM
And now, to unleash the collective positive vibes to bring it home boys. Few kicks and we are home. There is value in that point Josh! And if we can get 6 points instead of 1 there will be more! Keep it up buddy. You can only kick so many points in a row!

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 07:56 PM
I'm tipping the draw.

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 07:58 PM
Kill me now.

chef
14-04-2018, 07:59 PM
*!*!*!*! me Dunkley

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Can we get the win?

Ghost Dog
14-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Luke Dahlhaus smells a win! Of course we can. After 2016 anything is possible.

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Great effort but we had our chances

jeemak
14-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Oh well, can only blame ourselves with disgusting execution.

Shameful.

Stefcep
14-04-2018, 08:03 PM
The coaching need to address the kicking issue FFS. How many seasons has this been going on now?

Ghost Dog
14-04-2018, 08:03 PM
How annoying! We won but didn't win. Still not one expert from the HUN expected us to win that. Egg on their ugly faces, looking at you Lloyd and your 28 points margin.
But friends, Buddy Franklin scored 3 goals V a cobbled together backline. Anyone who predicted a big loss doesn't really have the right to be THAT disappointed in our young turks.

Rocket Science
14-04-2018, 08:05 PM
I hate football.

How utterly draining.

Nobody f*cks us like we f*ck ourselves.

chef
14-04-2018, 08:06 PM
What an effort from the pups. Need to iron out our goal kickibg though.

Doesnt feel like a loss.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Our mistakes cost us shit shit shit

DOG GOD
14-04-2018, 08:07 PM
How on earth did we not score a point in that last minute...FFS

The Bulldogs Bite
14-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Good to see our skill level is as poor as ever.

We won’t get better until this improves. Our goal kicking is truly disgusting.

Good effort in all other areas.

macca
14-04-2018, 08:09 PM
we can’t kick please please pleeeaaasssee fix it! Zero confidence in our goal kicking. We dominated the stoppages
64 inside 50s to 37 in our favour. We found ways to lose that game.
How many goals did SYD score due to poor skill execution ? 3-4
Redpath needs to follow up with the midfield mark with another burst to run back toward of goal. He looks
Exhausted each time after the mark

Stefcep
14-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Worst in the league. That's a fact.

bornadog
14-04-2018, 08:15 PM
VFL standard:

Redpath
HC
Jong

G-Mo77
14-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Sadly until we get some kind of forward structure we'll see a few more like that. Bomb and hold it in there gets you poor shots at goal.

azabob
14-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Oh well, can only blame ourselves with disgusting execution.

Shameful.

Shameful? No, not shameful tonight.

Shameful was round 1 & 2.

azabob
14-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Sadly until we get some kind of forward structure we'll see a few more like that. Bomb and hold it in there gets you poor shots at goal.

Structure tonight was by our design though? Coaching staff surely pushed Redpath behind the ball?

azabob
14-04-2018, 08:21 PM
VFL standard:

Redpath
HC
Jong

I though Honeychurch was serviceble tonight.

MrMahatma
14-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Gutted to lose that and really stuffed a few huge chances to win it.

However, if you think about our squad, then we're back.

We won't make top 4. But we'll make top 8. And from there we're a threat.

LostDoggy
14-04-2018, 08:26 PM

We had good fwd structure in the 1st half and looked dangerous going forward. It was refreshing to see.

jeemak
14-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Shameful? No, not shameful tonight.

Shameful was round 1 & 2.

Can’t and won’t fault the effort. However our execution and decision making was shameful and cost us the game.

jazzadogs
14-04-2018, 08:41 PM
We had good fwd structure in the 1st half and looked dangerous going forward. It was refreshing to see.

Couldn't believe it when we were playing a three man forward line in the third quarter. But remarkably it worked and we got back into the game because of the numbers behind the ball. Had a clear effect on our ability to hit up targets though, Swans were able to zone and defend much more easily.

FrediKanoute
14-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Definitely not shameful. It was a tough hard contested game which unfortunately we ended up on the wrong end of- fact is if Caleb kicks a goal we are celebrating a good win. Caleb kicks a point we are wiping our foreheads saying we got out of gaol; he misses, Sydney clear and ice the game....

I would sooner we lose having given it all than put in the performances we did in rounds 1 & 2. Yes our goal kicking was crap. Our forward entries were kicking to a contest, but our endeavour and attack on the footy was good. Buddy was a non-factor on a day he should have had a feast. Disappointed to lose? Sure. Shameful? No

RoZDog
14-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Our 2 goals we kicked during the 3rd were a Wallis set shot from the boundary line (low percentage shot) and from a centre clearance after. Putting numbers behind did help stem the bleeding but we were all at sea moving the ball and setting up from stoppages and Sydney really controlled the air and ground in our forward line.

Sedat
14-04-2018, 08:53 PM

Were we that much more skilled in 2016? Tonight looked an awful lot like many of our 2016 games, except for fluffing a couple of clutch moments late on that we nailed more often than not in our premiership year. We need a superhuman work ethic to compensate for our relative lack of skill executuon, especially in front of goal. Annoying? Hell yes.

G-Mo77
14-04-2018, 08:55 PM

It was a little more open and it was the first time I saw us hit a forward lace out in front of goal this season. Sydney worked it out and relied on the bomb and bottle it up. Look we showed so much heart tonight and I find it hard to fault anyone but we just can't get a clean shot at goal. Only low percentage rushed shots, boundary line set shots or shots outside 50.

Twodogs
14-04-2018, 08:57 PM
We have been kicking ourselves out of games for over five years now and every time it happens again most of us react like its the first time. I wonder if our coaches are the same because that would explain a lot. Like why we haven't bothered with a kicking coach, that sort of thing.

I used to go to training a fair bit (access is not easy these days) and at the end they would have goal kicking practice. Everybody would be trying to drill barrels from 50, nobody would be standing on the mark and much jocularity ensued. It's probably not as funny tonight.

The only time I ever saw someone do any individual tuition was Ryan Griffen explained a few finer points to some of the younger guys one day. It wasn't organised or anything. Griffen was waiting in line for a drill when the younger players went over and asked him sometging and he took 10 minutes out from what he was doing and showed them some different things about how to kick the ball.

Remi Moses
14-04-2018, 08:58 PM
I thought we hit up superbly early , then as the pressure increased we started bombing .
Game we should have won , but we’ve found our mojo .
Need to address kicking in the next draft .

GVGjr
14-04-2018, 09:00 PM
I thought we hit up superbly early , then as the pressure increased we started bombing .
Game we should have won , but we’ve found our mojo .
Need to address kicking in the next draft .

Have you conceded that nothing can be done by the coaches ?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2018, 09:01 PM
Dunkley is so frustrating elite overhead mark, great tackler...park level goalkicker. As much as I nearly had an aneurysm when he flubbed that mark late, I can forgive that. His shocking goalkicking and that of Honey's non score, Bailey Dales miss, Dahl's earlier shocker and Suckling's 3 misses cost us the game.

Twodogs
14-04-2018, 09:03 PM

Of course it can. Whether the coaches are doing anything, or think anything can be done is a different question.

Look at Levi Casboult. He would have been the worst set shot in our team at one stage but he's gotten a lot more reliable.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2018, 09:04 PM

I'm more concerned that by the fact it's been an issue for year's and yet the coaches still seem to pick guys every year who have clear kicking deficiencies. That seems to suggest they don't see it as a huge issue.
If they did I wonder wherher Naughton and Gowers would've been added to the team.

Remi Moses
14-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Players like Dahlhaus should be kicking better than he is . He’s regressed , and I think Dunkley can get to an adequate stage.

Ghost Dog
14-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Suckling is supposed to be elite. No easy assessment for him. This is exactly why we drafted him. If he can't be reliable in that regard I can't see too many other positives.

bornadog
14-04-2018, 09:31 PM
I though Honeychurch was serviceble tonight.

He has zero skills.

bornadog
14-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Our 2 goals we kicked during the 3rd were a Wallis set shot from the boundary line (low percentage shot) and from a centre clearance after. Putting numbers behind did help stem the bleeding but we were all at sea moving the ball and setting up from stoppages and Sydney really controlled the air and ground in our forward line.

The first half of the 3rd quarter killed us.

bornadog
14-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Average Attributes

Western Bulldogs

Attribute
Sydney

186.1cm
Height
186.3cm

84.3kg
Weight
86.0kg

23yr 10mth

Games

Total Players By Games

Western Bulldogs

Games
Sydney

Less than 50

50 to 99

100 to 149

150 or more

Prince Imperial
14-04-2018, 09:39 PM
A couple of times we had Daniel standing the mark when Swans players were kicking from about 35 and they goaled. They probably would have anyway but we need a taller nearby player to do so to increase the chance of our opposition missing.

It's happened in previous games and our defensive coach and defenders seem oblivious to this.

The bulldog tragician
14-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Can’t and won’t fault the effort. However our execution and decision making was shameful and cost us the game.

Or the difference between a team with an average game tally of 61, versus one with 116? A backline with 2 eighteen year olds versus one of the greatest players ever? I think shameful is much too harsh and doesn’t reflect the effort. We tired, their experience kicked in, our skills which looked crisp early dropped away, and still in the last two minutes we could have won. Let’s be realistic about this match.

ledge
14-04-2018, 09:40 PM
I'm happy with the effort today , we came up against a very good side, we are looking quite good, just let the kids get experience , Naughton was great today , considering the forward line they have he really is a talent for future years as is Richards.
Yeah we made errors that cost us but at least we are in every game.
Remember we are a very young side.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2018, 09:42 PM
He has zero skills.

He has AFL level attributes in some areas; namely toughness, fitness and defensive pressure unfortunately they are completely nullified by his kicking which isn't even VFL standard.
When we also have 4 or 5 others with substandard kicking skills it becomes harder to see how he can contribute on the field in a meaningful capacity.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-04-2018, 09:49 PM
You couldn’t fault the effort today however the lack of a class forward proved to be the difference. Dunkley Gowers and Redpath simply lack the necessary kicking skills. English proved again that he is going to be a star. We missed Wood’s run off half back due to him being forced to play on Buddy. Another fine game by Macrae with 34 disposals and Wallis again showed his value in the midfield.

Twodogs
14-04-2018, 09:49 PM
I'm happy with the effort today , we came up against a very good side, we are looking quite good, just let the kids get experience , Naughton was great today , considering the forward line they have he really is a talent for future years as is Richards.
Yeah we made errors that cost us but at least we are in every game.
Remember we are a very young side.

None if that matters if we can't convert simple shots at goal.

If we can't kick straight it doesn't matter how courageous, skilful, young, desperate or any of the other things they say we are.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Whilst I've been super critical of our costly kicking deficiencies tonight, I've got to laud the group overall for how they've bounced back from a dismal start to the year. And it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge both the inexperience of the collective group as well as the pressure placed on our structure in losing Adams, Moz, Trengove, Picken & Libba.
We've got a healthy outlook mid to long term. Guys like English, Williams, Naughton, Richards have shown a lot and will benefit from the experience.
Unfortunately we head to Perth next week and history would suggest we're going to struggle and wind up being 1 and 4.
Had we kicked effectively tonight we could've been 2 and 2 and could've taken some unnecessary pressure off us ahead of that game.

Twodogs
14-04-2018, 10:00 PM
Whilst I've been super critical of our costly kicking deficiencies tonight, I've got to laud the group overall for how they've bounced back from a dismal start to the year. And it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge both the inexperience of the collective group as well as the pressure placed on our structure in losing Adams, Moz, Trengove, Picken & Libba.
We've got a healthy outlook mid to long term. Guys like English, Williams, Naughton, Richards have shown a lot and will benefit from the experience.
Unfortunately we head to Perth next week and history would suggest we're going to struggle and wind up being 1 and 4.
Had we kicked effectively tonight we could've been 2 and 2 and could've taken some unnecessary pressure off us ahead of that game.

Good post.

I think we will go over and beat Freo. A trip to play interstate often does a group lots of good.

Eastdog
14-04-2018, 10:12 PM
I'm dissapointed not to win but feeling more upbeat after that performance.

Great pressure all game. McLean, Macrae, Wally very good. Naughton and Wood down back very good - loved that punch Naughton did I think in the last term to deny Buddy.

Tim English very good and has a great future ahead with us. We got a good one there I reckon.

Bont is back! Loved his goals. Need still to just kick straighter 11.13 had we got a few on those in it would have been different.

Our overall intensity and attitude is back but still dissapointed not to win.

Now onto Perth next week against the Dockers watching from home then back going to Etihad vs Blues

angelopetraglia
14-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Can't fault the effort. Just made some seriously bad errors by foot and hand that cost us easy turnover goals when we had a 22 point lead and should of extended it. Then wrestled back control of the game late in the last quarter and didn't have enough polish or composure to win it.

But ... the Swans are so much older and more experienced.

Dogs 62 games per player. Swans 117 games per player. Also the Swans were on average two years older. In the end that was the difference. A little wiser and smarter when it mattered.

Frustrating to lose but plenty to take out of that effort. Just need to ensure we bring that intensity every week.

Ozza
14-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Swans by 12 points

Well....the young fella DID kick the first in the little league...so was correct on that front.

FrediKanoute
14-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Frustrating to lose but plenty to take out of that effort. Just need to ensure we bring that intensity every week.

Play like that and you will win more games than you lose....

ratsmac
14-04-2018, 10:44 PM
So agonizingly close. We lost it more than Sydney won it. We were so brave but couldn't ice it due to blatant skill errors. I am gutted yet so proud of the effort of our players who are decimated by injury. So many missed chances and opportunities it's just infuriating when think back of what should of been a win.

merantau
14-04-2018, 11:28 PM
I can't abide losing in that fashion. Just sick of it. The udusl suspects stepped up again. We simply HAVE to address this kicking issue.
We showed that we can match it with the best. We will be a force for years to come eith such a young list..

kruder
15-04-2018, 12:21 AM
I think we got the forward mix wrong in the last, Dunkley,Dhal,Honey,Gowers and Jong all played deep for the majority and we all know their kicking woes. We needed to put the Bont deeper along with Dickson and Dale who I thought played too high all night. We actually got sucked up the field for the majority of the second half and lost our forward shape while Red was obviously hampered by the knee he couldn't go a yard in the last.

I'm loving English, Naughton and Richards, you have to hit with your first rounds picks and it looks like we have big time. I think English could become one of our best rucks of all time, I cant wait to see him ruck in tandem with Boyd.

Overall massively positive for mine, considering where we have come from a few weeks ago it looks like we have our Bevo DNA back. If that first quarter is where we are heading with this young group then the future is bright indeed.

Go_Dogs
15-04-2018, 12:51 AM
Haven't read the comments here yet.

My view is we are playing good footy, and should go in even after 8 rounds, which after a poor first 2 weeks is not a bad position to be in.

My main hope from today is players like Dunks, CD and a few others don't dwell on a few moments. Yes, they made a few untimely errors, but these are young players who had fair games and we were set to put this game out of reach at times if we'd kicked a little straighter and had a few 50/50 umpire calls go our way.

TMT is a gem.

Bont has quite a few levels in him but doesn't seem to be at 100%.

Naughty had a few great moments defensively, and will learn a lot from a game like today. It was great to see the boys get around him at various times and I'm sure he's benefitting from having Wood next to him.

Richards has a bit of Picko about him. He is tenacious and has a leap.

For such a young, fresh side, we are doing well.

It's a disappointing result, but I'm a lot more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago and can see the plan we are working to.

Go Dogs.

Go_Dogs
15-04-2018, 12:53 AM
Forgot to mention, when Tory sold some candy and kicked a banana - what an incredible goal.

josie
15-04-2018, 02:07 AM
Forgot to mention, when Tory sold some candy and kicked a banana - what an incredible goal.

That was a ripper. Could be one of the goals of year. Cheer squad rightly were out often their seats. Bailey Dale’s goal from tough angle to get us back within a goal or so was beaut too.

The Adelaide Connection
15-04-2018, 03:43 AM
Two weeks ago I felt like our team had imploded and, if I am honest, could see little hope of turning it around. I will take that against the best team in the business.

Just an aside, I watched the Daniel play to the goalsquare again a few times to see if he could have maybe wound up more and tried to kick it himself. What I did notice was Aliir Aliir facing away from the ball and holding Gowers 10 or so metres off the contest. The umpire had a pretty direct line of sight but was likely watching the other contest with the Bont. This is the sort of free kick I feel like would get pulled out on us but our less credentialed forwardline almost never gets.

SonofScray
15-04-2018, 07:02 AM
Two weeks ago I felt like our team had imploded and, if I am honest, could see little hope of turning it around. I will take that against the best team in the business.

Just an aside, I watched the Daniel play to the goalsquare again a few times to see if he could have maybe wound up more and tried to kick it himself. What I did notice was Aliir Aliir facing away from the ball and holding Gowers 10 or so metres off the contest. The umpire had a pretty direct line of sight but was likely watching the other contest with the Bont. This is the sort of free kick I feel like would get pulled out on us but our less credentialed forwardline almost never gets.

When we can reach for the umpires costing us (and I certainly did!), it's usually a sign we were up to our eyeballs and didn't take our chances, which in the context of our season is a positive overall. Also an incredible frustration that scoreboard pressure is something we just aren't applying well regardless of the quality of performance in other phases of the game.

But we've cobbled together some better efforts and improved organisation in defence and foot skills so I feel that things are back on track, or swinging in our favour, despite the loss.

Twodogs
15-04-2018, 09:32 AM
When we can reach for the umpires costing us (and I certainly did!), it's usually a sign we were up to our eyeballs and didn't take our chances, which in the context of our season is a positive overall. Also an incredible frustration that scoreboard pressure is something we just aren't applying well regardless of the quality of performance in other phases of the game.

But we've cobbled together some better efforts and improved organisation in defence and foot skills so I feel that things are back on track, or swinging in our favour, despite the loss.

That's a very Sunday morning reflective view there SOS. You're quite right what you say about blaming the umpires. We didn't take our chances, we never seem take our bloody chances, Grand Finals excepted.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2018, 12:01 PM
I posted this on BF as well but I’d like to hear what our high esteemed woofers think

Are our large inside 50 numbers a reason for our poor conversion?

What I mean is, our style leads to plenty of inside 50s. But our conversion is always poor. Are these two linked? Or is it simply a matter of having better kickers and converting andnwe suddenly start thumping teams??

Curious to hear from those tatically minded. We seem to push a lot of numbers up the ground to work the ball forward. And we work it up slowly. This leads to having a fairly congested forward line (and the flip side of that is if we turn it over we get killed) meaning we don’t get the ball in good spots to have a higher percentage goal shot. Looking at our shot chart our misses are from angles. I’m not 100% convinced that if we kick straight we win. Well I mean we would, but hoping it happens I won’t hold my breath. It’s always been a problem and I think it’s more game plan than anything else. We just don’t create enough high percentage opportunities. I suppose it’s the argument of high volume vs high quality. We’re going for the former and apart from the 2016 finals it hasn’t really worked.

Hotdog60
15-04-2018, 01:22 PM
With Boyd kicking 5 in the VFL and English having a tank to take the load. I wonder if next week we'll see Boyd spend 80% forward and just relieving English when he needs a spell.

Rocket Science
15-04-2018, 02:28 PM
It's a truism that we'd be better served by engineering better quality, 'high percentage' opportunities.

But the stinger is our ritual inability to nail those eminently gettable ones, often at influential moments, rather than piss them away and by proxy our efforts to create them.

It pains to pot Dahlhaus because he bleeds for us out there, but his party trick yesterday from 30-out is a rolled-gold case in point. It's not just Dahl of course, because we all know he's got plenty of mates.

While it's helpful to be generating so many forward entries until we improve the skill and composure issue it'll remain the equivalent of throwing a handful of marbles at a bucket fifty metres away and hoping some of them go in.

Rocket Science
15-04-2018, 02:30 PM
With Boyd kicking 5 in the VFL and English having a tank to take the load. I wonder if next week we'll see Boyd spend 80% forward and just relieving English when he needs a spell.

This is the perfect by-product of English's upside and ability to eventually own the ruck spot.

It'll *force* us to get better value out of Boyd as a forward.

Eastdog
15-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Watching the 2016 prelim and GF highlights last night has helped me a bit but still frustrated not to win yesterday.

Twodogs
15-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Watching the 2016 prelim and GF highlights last night has helped me a bit but still frustrated not to win yesterday.

I *!*!*!*!ing hate losing.

merantau
15-04-2018, 03:50 PM
I hope fervently that Tim English holds up for the season. He was very good for us in both ruck work and general play.
With Tom Boyd playing forward and English rucking well we are a much more difficult proposition for our rivals.

bornadog
15-04-2018, 04:05 PM
I posted this on BF as well but I’d like to hear what our high esteemed woofers think

Are our large inside 50 numbers a reason for our poor conversion?

What I mean is, our style leads to plenty of inside 50s. But our conversion is always poor. Are these two linked? Or is it simply a matter of having better kickers and converting andnwe suddenly start thumping teams??

Curious to hear from those tatically minded. We seem to push a lot of numbers up the ground to work the ball forward. And we work it up slowly. This leads to having a fairly congested forward line (and the flip side of that is if we turn it over we get killed) meaning we don’t get the ball in good spots to have a higher percentage goal shot. Looking at our shot chart our misses are from angles. I’m not 100% convinced that if we kick straight we win. Well I mean we would, but hoping it happens I won’t hold my breath. It’s always been a problem and I think it’s more game plan than anything else. We just don’t create enough high percentage opportunities. I suppose it’s the argument of high volume vs high quality. We’re going for the former and apart from the 2016 finals it hasn’t really worked.

I haven't checked the stats compared to last year, but over the last two weeks we have taken more marks inside 50 than the opposition. This means we are having more set shots, but still not kicking accurately. It also means we are not bombing the ball aimlessly into the 50 as much as we did previously. We are finding targets, but we are also being forced wide. Last week many of our shots were from angles, because Essendon clogged up the corridor, it was similar against the Swans.

Our issue is Dunkley, Gowers, Dahl, Honeychurch are are all poor shots at goal.

Twodogs
15-04-2018, 04:30 PM
I haven't checked the stats compared to last year, but over the last two weeks we have taken more marks inside 50 than the opposition. This means we are having more set shots, but still not kicking accurately. It also means we are not bombing the ball aimlessly into the 50 as much as we did previously. We are finding targets, but we are also being forced wide. Last week many of our shots were from angles, because Essendon clogged up the corridor, it was similar against the Swans.

Agreed. We do get pushed out wide a bit and end up having to take a difficult snap or a long set shot from out wide. But it's the coach killers that always let us down. The simple set shots from 15-20 metres out right in front that EVERY player on the team ought to be able to convert at least seven times out of ten. Nobody is going to go at 100% accuracy but there is a group of players that we habitually play forward that would be lucky to go at 30% in those circumstances.

Look at yesterday. We muffed 4 outstandingly simple shots at goal and lost by 7 points. Turn those behinds into goals and that's another 20 points to our total. Why isn't it getting through at that basic level? Bad kicking is literally costing us games. That lack of attention to detail in any other aspect of their game, for instance if they insisted on holding the ball sideways in the palm of their hand when they handballed and the ball just went anywhere, the coaches would correct it. But when it comes to how players kick the ball you see all sorts of weird methods but that's OK.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2018, 04:46 PM

Yep we’ve certainly changed something up to allow us to take a lot more marks inside 50. Lowering the eyes and chipping the ball up has worked well for us. When we’ve gone away from that we have been awful (first 5 minutes of the 3rd quater yesterday). But we still get most of our set shots on wide angles like you said. How do other teams, such as hawthorn who similiarly chip the ball up, avoid this?

And I agree that we also missed absolute sitters. Last week and yesterday we had that many inside 50s and marks inside 50 that we should have been well in front.

Perhaps the mix of scrappy hard workers who can’t kick to polished kickers isn’t right. Although we don’t exactly have any polished kicks to pick from. I can only think of Lipinski who could play this role

bornadog
15-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Yep we’ve certainly changed something up to allow us to take a lot more marks inside 50. Lowering the eyes and chipping the ball up has worked well for us. When we’ve gone away from that we have been awful (first 5 minutes of the 3rd quater yesterday). But we still get most of our set shots on wide angles like you said. How do other teams, such as hawthorn who similiarly chip the ball up, avoid this?

And I agree that we also missed absolute sitters. Last week and yesterday we had that many inside 50s and marks inside 50 that we should have been well in front.

Perhaps the mix of scrappy hard workers who can’t kick to polished kickers isn’t right. Although we don’t exactly have any polished kicks to pick from. I can only think of Lipinski who could play this role

What did you think of Bevo's tactics, last week and this. Last week it was a 5 man forward line and this week 4 and sometimes 3 at the centre bounces. I thought it seemed to work and confuse the Swans a bit. Melbourne did that to us last year when they had 8 across the backline and when the ball was bounced, they all ran straight towards the centre. For this to work, you need to win the centre clearances, otherwise the ball could sail over your backline, and no one back to get the ball.

It certainly worked in the 3rd quarter when we needed to kick a few goals.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2018, 05:06 PM
What did you think of Bevo's tactics, last week and this. Last week it was a 5 man forward line and this week 4 and sometimes 3 at the centre bounces. I thought it seemed to work and confuse the Swans a bit. Melbourne did that to us last year when they had 8 across the backline and when the ball was bounced, they all ran straight towards the centre. For this to work, you need to win the centre clearances, otherwise the ball could sail over your backline, and no one back to get the ball.

It certainly worked in the 3rd quarter when we needed to kick a few goals.

It’s been fun to watch. We’ve actually dominated large portions of both games - unfortunately for no reward. But a lot has worked for us (even if we haven’t exactly capitalised).

That centre bounce tactic we implemented on the last bounce where Richards actually could have kept running on and had a shot. I yelled when he didn’t. But I suppose if the free kick was against us it would have been a costly 50

Even with us lowering the eyes, we still haven’t fixed the long option going inside 50. This isn’t the no look bomb inside 50. This is where we have it 60 out and put it to the top of the square. We would have to be the worst in the comp at it. For some reason we still have too little or too many going for the mark. I barely see this with other teams but we either don’t even contest it or we all go up for it and no one is there for the crumb. I mean isn’t this a pretty simple fix?? Having a tall target adresses part of the issue but we are so poor at crumbing contests.

Twodogs
15-04-2018, 05:18 PM
It’s been fun to watch. We’ve actually dominated large portions of both games - unfortunately for no reward. But a lot has worked for us (even if we haven’t exactly capitalised).

That centre bounce tactic we implemented on the last bounce where Richards actually could have kept running on and had a shot. I yelled when he didn’t. But I suppose if the free kick was against us it would have been a costly 50

Even with us lowering the eyes, we still haven’t fixed the long option going inside 50. This isn’t the no look bomb inside 50. This is where we have it 60 out and put it to the top of the square. We would have to be the worst in the comp at it. For some reason we still have too little or too many going for the mark. I barely see this with other teams but we either don’t even contest it or we all go up for it and no one is there for the crumb. I mean isn’t this a pretty simple fix?? Having a tall target adresses part of the issue but we are so poor at crumbing contests.

The top of the square thing us because we take so long to get the ball forward and then it's a helicopter kick into the goal square where the whole defensive zone has had time to work back into. When Hawthorn do it they run the ball into a space and then usually a surgically executed kick that skims to exactly 12 metres out and hits whoever happens to be standing there on the chest. Defenders and forwards haven't had time to descend either.

bornadog
15-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Having a tall target addresses part of the issue but we are so poor at crumbing contests.

I was really sick and tired of Redpath being man handled in the goal square and no free kick. This also happens to Boyd. Having said that, where the hell was Redpath in the last to lead and present himself? Every time Redpath leads, it's usually too early for the kicker to spot him up as they are not ready. I am seriously concerned about his forward work.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2018, 05:37 PM
I was really sick and tired of Redpath being man handled in the goal square and no free kick. This also happens to Boyd. Having said that, where the hell was Redpath in the last to lead and present himself? Every time Redpath leads, it's usually too early for the kicker to spot him up as they are not ready. I am seriously concerned about his forward work.

I think Redpath has been used almost as a diversion this year. He’s leading further up to create space behind him

jazzadogs
15-04-2018, 05:48 PM

Or the kicker is not quick enough, takes the second or third option, by which time Redpath/other forward is out of position - either too close to the kicker or too wide in the 50.

bornadog
15-04-2018, 06:05 PM
Or the kicker is not quick enough, takes the second or third option, by which time Redpath/other forward is out of position - either too close to the kicker or too wide in the 50.

Personally, he has not impressed me over the last two weeks. I don't know what to make of him.

MrMahatma
15-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Personally, he has not impressed me over the last two weeks. I don't know what to make of him.

Same. Not a fan. If Boyd or Schache are in any sort of form, Red surely doesn't play.

ratsmac
16-04-2018, 01:01 AM
It was disappointing watching Buddy running Wood ragged and looking dangerous every time the ball went in his direction compared to Redpath who looks to be labouring at the best of times. However Redpath has given us better shape which has helped our other forwards in the past 2 weeks.

I agree that he is only keeping the seat warm for Boyd or Schache.

whythelongface
16-04-2018, 10:45 AM
As much as i hate losing i thought our performance on Saturday was impressive. Considering the discrepancy in experience between the two teams it was an outstanding effort to lead for most of the game. Of course it was disappointing to lose particularly as we had a chance at the death to win the game. But alas there are some really promising signs amongst our younger brigade - looking forward to seeing the likes of English, Richards and Naughton develop. Throw in the continued improvement of Dale, Daniel, McLean, Williams and Dunkley and add to the list of already established youngsters (22 to 23) - Bont, MaCrae, Hunter - that is a very good list of young players - we need to Boyd and Schache to continue improving this year.

Disappointed that we gifted some goals to the Swans - couple of turnovers that really cost us. But the last two weeks showed that the intent and hunger is clearly there. This week is a must win for us to stay in touch with the 8.

Ozza
16-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Franklin has 85 more career goals than our entire team from Saturday has. (877 to 792).
We only had 2 players that have kicked more than 100 career goals in the side right now (Dickson 151, Dahlhaus 109).

LostDoggy
16-04-2018, 11:47 AM
As frustrating as it was to lose, the strides we have made in the last 2 weeks have been remarkable.

On Saturday, Sydney had Franklin, Grundy, Jack, Hanneberry, Kennedy, McVeigh, Parker and Smith all at 150 games plus (5 of them 200 games plus). We had zero players who have got to 150 games.

There wouldn't be many teams in recent AFL history who have had fewer experienced players. The only 3 players on our list with 150 games plus are all injured but potentially available in coming weeks (Morris, Trengove and Picken).

We've got a fair bit to work on but we are tracking pretty well after the first 2 horrid weeks.

craigsahibee
16-04-2018, 11:56 AM
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-10/match-preview-western-bulldogs-v-sydney

3. It will be a contest between the most accurate team so far in 2018 and the least accurate; the Swans are operating at 57.1 per cent, the Bulldogs 38 per cent.

Hmmmmm. 3 more scoring shots than the Swans resulting in a 7 point loss.

jeemak
16-04-2018, 01:10 PM
Definitely not shameful. It was a tough hard contested game which unfortunately we ended up on the wrong end of- fact is if Caleb kicks a goal we are celebrating a good win. Caleb kicks a point we are wiping our foreheads saying we got out of gaol; he misses, Sydney clear and ice the game....

I would sooner we lose having given it all than put in the performances we did in rounds 1 & 2. Yes our goal kicking was crap. Our forward entries were kicking to a contest, but our endeavour and attack on the footy was good. Buddy was a non-factor on a day he should have had a feast. Disappointed to lose? Sure. Shameful? No

Or the difference between a team with an average game tally of 61, versus one with 116? A backline with 2 eighteen year olds versus one of the greatest players ever? I think shameful is much too harsh and doesn’t reflect the effort. We tired, their experience kicked in, our skills which looked crisp early dropped away, and still in the last two minutes we could have won. Let’s be realistic about this match.

As I said, no issues with the effort. In fact, I was extremely proud of the way we fought a big bodied and more experienced side that put us under extreme pressure around the football and across the ground. My ability to articulate that immediately after the game was hampered by frustration at our inability to take our chances.

However, that inability to convert simple opportunities is shameful, and that was what I was predominantly referring to within my post (and the decision making frustrated the hell out of me, but I can forgive much of that in the heat of the moment). That AFL standard players can continually dish up the putrid attempts at goal in which our team seems to specialise, simply isn't good enough, and I am sick of having to bang my head against a wall each week watching it happen.

You don't have to be an experienced AFL footballer to take easy chances in front of goal. Every player on our list was an elite junior footballer. Every single one of them. Why is it that our bunch of players who used to be elite juniors, and seem to be pretty bloody good at most things on a footy field at the senior level, are so bloody bad at burying opportunities in front of goal?

Anyway, this topic's been done to death to date and will be done to death in the future. I just wanted to get across the point that I didn't think the effort and overall performance was shameful........

jeemak
16-04-2018, 01:13 PM
And another thing, what is the deal with Zac Jones?

Is he actually good and really tough?

Twodogs
16-04-2018, 01:26 PM
As I said, no issues with the effort. In fact, I was extremely proud of the way we fought a big bodied and more experienced side that put us under extreme pressure around the football and across the ground. My ability to articulate that immediately after the game was hampered by frustration at our inability to take our chances.

However, that inability to convert simple opportunities is shameful, and that was what I was predominantly referring to within my post (and the decision making frustrated the hell out of me, but I can forgive much of that in the heat of the moment). That AFL standard players can continually dish up the putrid attempts at goal in which our team seems to specialise, simply isn't good enough, and I am sick of having to bang my head against a wall each week watching it happen.

You don't have to be an experienced AFL footballer to take easy chances in front of goal. Every player on our list was an elite junior footballer. Every single one of them. Why is it that our bunch of players who used to be elite juniors, and seem to be pretty bloody good at most things on a footy field at the senior level, are so bloody bad at burying opportunities in front of goal?

Anyway, this topic's been done to death to date and will be done to death in the future. I just wanted to get across the point that I didn't think the effort and overall performance was shameful........

It nearly always comes back to technique.

SlimPickens
16-04-2018, 01:50 PM
And another thing, what is the deal with Zac Jones?

Is he actually good and really tough?

First round draft pick. Have always thought he had plenty of potential

bornadog
16-04-2018, 02:55 PM
I put myself through the torcher and watched the last 15 min of the game. I am still scratching my head and trying to figure why the hell we let this one go. We were excellent at pressuring the Swans, and we just didn't let them past our half of the ground. Dunkley was superb with his pack marking and leading in the forward line, but boy oh boy, he should have buried them. Caleb Daniel was also fantastic, but that last shot at goal, I just wish he took one more step, steadied himself and put it through, even a point would have changed the game. I tall target with some marking power would have made a huge difference.

60 Inside 50s to 42, we just dominated the Swans with every stat except the one that counts, the scoreboard. :( :mad:

bulldogsthru&thru
16-04-2018, 03:13 PM
I put myself through the torcher and watched the last 15 min of the game. I am still scratching my head and trying to figure why the hell we let this one go. We were excellent at pressuring the Swans, and we just didn't let them past our half of the ground. Dunkley was superb with his pack marking and leading in the forward line, but boy oh boy, he should have buried them. Caleb Daniel was also fantastic, but that last shot at goal, I just wish he took one more step, steadied himself and put it through, even a point would have changed the game. I tall target with some marking power would have made a huge difference.

60 Inside 50s to 42, we just dominated the Swans with every stat except the one that counts, the scoreboard. :( :mad:

Why do that to yourself!? A perfect remedy though is a nice cool glass of Q4 of the 2016 grand final. Now that's how you ice a game ;)

jeemak
16-04-2018, 03:33 PM
First round draft pick. Have always thought he had plenty of potential

I actually haven't seen a huge amount from him, but note he's still young. Clearly thinks he is somewhat of an enforcer. After getting McLean high, mirrored his tough guy performance of the 2016 GF (after once again, getting McLean high) and it made me think he's a bit of a wanker.

When are people going to learn to tackle the guy below the shoulders?

bornadog
16-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Why do that to yourself!? A perfect remedy though is a nice cool glass of Q4 of the 2016 grand final. Now that's how you ice a game ;)

Yeah, I know, I don't normally watch games that we lose. All the play was up the other end of the ground, so I wanted to see it a bit closer.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I know, I don't normally watch games that we lose. All the play was up the other end of the ground, so I wanted to see it a bit closer.

I'm trying to erase that loss from my memory. One of the most frustrating losses i can remember.

Ozza
16-04-2018, 04:41 PM

I can understand that. I did the easy part and watched the first half last night - and will watch the second half at some point this week. I generally give all our matches a second look unless its a round 1 type flogging. Always good to see how it looked on TV after being there live - and appreciating the things you didn't see at the ground (and vice versa).

Eastdog
16-04-2018, 08:48 PM

Saturday night I watched the YouTube highlights of both our 2016 prelim final and grand final.

craigsahibee
17-04-2018, 08:54 AM
I actually haven't seen a huge amount from him, but note he's still young. Clearly thinks he is somewhat of an enforcer. After getting McLean high, mirrored his tough guy performance of the 2016 GF (after once again, getting McLean high) and it made me think he's a bit of a wanker.

When are people going to learn to tackle the guy below the shoulders?

Not dissimilar to his useless brother at Melbourne.

Mantis
17-04-2018, 10:27 AM

and kicked it to Bailey Dale who was 25m out from goal straight in front.

Happy Days
17-04-2018, 04:41 PM
and kicked it to Bailey Dale who was 25m out from goal straight in front.

I don't think he couldn't have kicked the goal; I think he didn't kick to the jumper, but saw Bont and figured that he'd mark it and kick the goal because he's Bont, rather than looking for a better option or taking the responsibility himself.

westdog54
20-04-2018, 08:43 PM
It nearly always comes back to technique.

And I suppose 15 minutes with you could turn it around?

Twodogs
21-04-2018, 12:37 AM
And I suppose 15 minutes with you could turn it around?

Yes it could.

If it makes them any worse I promise to self emollieate at half time at the next home game.