PDA

View Full Version : Disgruntled Player Agent Serves Writ on AFL

westdog54
12-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Interesting article on JJs manager.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/disgruntled-player-agent-serves-writ-on-afl-20180412-p4z9aj.html

Disgruntled player agent Jim Marinis, who secured Jason Johannisen's lucrative new contract last season, has added the AFL to his case of conspiracy, loss of income and bullying.

Marinis had already instigated legal action in the Supreme Court of Western Australia against the AFL Players' Association, his problems beginning in 2011 when former AFLPA player relations chief Ian Prendergast wrote to 17 clubs encouraging them not to deal with him – he wasn't officially accredited – while he was renegotiating the contract of then Magpie Alan Toovey.

Marinis has also taken action over the alleged manner in which he was treated after his failed 2012 AFL agents exam and for alleged comments made about him to prospective draftees and TAC club regional managers. He has now added the AFL and AFL investigations manager Ken Wood to his claim.

"The apparent role that I believe has been played by some in the AFL in the ongoing fight I have had with persons within the AFLPA and the agents accreditation board together with the revelation that some within the AFL were working together with those in the AFLPA to harm my interest has meant that I had no choice but to drag the AFL into this litigation," Marinis said on Thursday.

"There are people that work within the AFL's integrity department who, despite otherwise having been good character themselves, have unfortunately overstepped the mark in the roles that they have played in all of this. I call upon the AFL's integrity department to investigate the actions of senior integrity officers in the AFL, including the actions of other defendant parties within the AFLPA. I feel I have been the subject of bullying by the boy's club mentality.

"The accreditation system is in desperate need of reform and I will do everything I can to bring about the changes needed to have a fairer and more accountable process."

The AFL did not wish to comment.
It's understood Marinis, who is based in Melbourne but is part of the Perth-based Sports Marketing Agency, also has other potentially explosive claims to make, including claims of racism.
He has maintained he scored the 75 per cent pass park required when he sat for his agents exam.

As reported by Fairfax Media in January 2017, Marinis has alleged there was misleading or deceptive conduct by the AFLPA, Prendergast, who is now in charge of the NRL players' association, and Braden Stokes, who is a manager of AFL accredited agents.

Agents who are unaccredited cannot technically broker contracts. They are allowed to do much of the hard graft but not sign the final document. Marinis' colleagues, lawyers Tim Galic and Gavin Jahn, are accredited.

ledge
13-04-2018, 08:03 PM
The finding will be interesting if it goes his way .